Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larva
Dec 26, 2007

Kavity posted:

I have an adult cat and a kitten living together in my home. My kitten is 3-4 months old and has a healthy appetite. The adult cat is about 2 years old and will eat until she throws up. she is very over weight right now and we've been trying not to let her eat so much but were having a problem with this because the kitten needs a steady supply of food all the time. We've also been exercising her but we think she may have even put more weight on. I looking for some suggestions as to how to do this correctly, as we cant starve the kitten but cant feed the fatty.

You may just have to keep them separate whenever the kitten food is out. That's what I do with mine, as my adult would gorge herself on kitten food if she had the opportunity. Another option would be a small feeder cage that only the kitten can fit into.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

adventure in the sandbox posted:

You can get hybrid vigor by breeding different populations of the same species. See this article: http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/264358/heterosis

For example, sickle cell anemia can be an example of hybrid vigor. Those individuals with one allele for sickle cell do better in malaria areas than those that are homozygous for normal cells or sickle cells.

That's not what my bio prof told me, but I can't argue with Britannica.

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

RazorBunny posted:

That's not what my bio prof told me, but I can't argue with Britannica.

Ok I could've found a better source. My Population and Community Ecology and Conservation Biology profs thought that breeding between populations within a species was very important. Prof death match ftw.

sgocity
Dec 4, 2006

I searched for the bully breed megathread but couldn't find it.

I'm having the pit bull argument with a new acquaintance. :( He started talking about the "clear evidence of pit bulls' utter indifference to mauling children and their high degree of lethality" and how "pit bulls simply routinely maim and kill people" because "decades of controlled selection have made them this way."

I explained the difference between dog-aggression and people-aggression to him, but I don't think he understood, since he replied that "their aggression isn't very discriminating." He also said that "the main problem with them is that once their aggression is triggered by someone or something, they become practically fearless. They're notorious for not letting go even when struck, stabbed, or shot. Its this tenacity which makes them so much deadlier than most other dog breeds."

I've heard of this "not letting go" thing before and the idea that their jaws are somehow capable of locking (which I understand to be completely bogus). I've done some googling but I'm having trouble finding objective, informative sites. Any suggestions on where to go to find out more about the "not letting go" thing?

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

Kavity posted:

I have an adult cat and a kitten living together in my home. My kitten is 3-4 months old and has a healthy appetite. The adult cat is about 2 years old and will eat until she throws up. she is very over weight right now and we've been trying not to let her eat so much but were having a problem with this because the kitten needs a steady supply of food all the time. We've also been exercising her but we think she may have even put more weight on. I looking for some suggestions as to how to do this correctly, as we cant starve the kitten but cant feed the fatty.

I had this problem with my cats, only it was my younger one that got tubby. He eat when he was hungry then had to but the other cat when she ate and he'd eat again. I had to stop free feeding and monitor them while they ate. I fed them in separate places at separate times. I'd put fatty in his cat carrier while I fed my older cat so he couldn't get at her food. I never had to worry about putting the older cat away because she's a trim, delicate flower who I have a hard enough time getting to eat her own damned food. It takes patience, diligence and can be really annoying so I feel for you.

sgocity posted:

I searched for the bully breed megathread but couldn't find it.

I'm having the pit bull argument with a new acquaintance. :( He started talking about the "clear evidence of pit bulls' utter indifference to mauling children and their high degree of lethality" and how "pit bulls simply routinely maim and kill people" because "decades of controlled selection have made them this way."

I explained the difference between dog-aggression and people-aggression to him, but I don't think he understood, since he replied that "their aggression isn't very discriminating." He also said that "the main problem with them is that once their aggression is triggered by someone or something, they become practically fearless. They're notorious for not letting go even when struck, stabbed, or shot. Its this tenacity which makes them so much deadlier than most other dog breeds."

I've heard of this "not letting go" thing before and the idea that their jaws are somehow capable of locking (which I understand to be completely bogus). I've done some googling but I'm having trouble finding objective, informative sites. Any suggestions on where to go to find out more about the "not letting go" thing?

Your friend is an idiot. Pits were never bred for human aggression and if it's a true 'pitbull' it wont look twice at a human. They were actually bred to have a complete lack of human aggression any any dog that demonstrated any was put down. From what I understand most 'pits' that have shown human aggression are bastard mixes of pitbulls and armstaff/mastiffs. I'm sure Superconductor will be able to give you a much better and detailed explanation.

Here is a really good Superconductor post on the topic.

Sekhmet
Nov 16, 2001

adventure in the sandbox posted:

For example, sickle cell anemia can be an example of hybrid vigor. Those individuals with one allele for sickle cell do better in malaria areas than those that are homozygous for normal cells or sickle cells.

I've never heard of that used as an example of heterosis (hybrid vigor) before - just as a case of overdominance (heterozygote advantage) in a specific environment.

Heterosis is usually thought to be due to outcrossing "covering up" recessive lethal/deleterious alleles that are more likely to be found in two individuals in an inbred line due to a higher probability of identity by descent.

You're right about it being a perfectly valid concept within a species for segregated populations like dog breeds though. The questionable parts come in as I said before, when two breeds tend to have the same genetic disorders or come from related foundation stock, or it's pretty much completely undone if one of the hybrid offspring is bred back to any member of one of the contributing breeds or another of the hybrid offspring.

Sekhmet fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Apr 3, 2009

tse1618
May 27, 2008

Cuddle time!

Kavity posted:

Have you tried feeding them in different rooms? It's difficult to do if you free feed them, but if you have set meals just shut them in different rooms for the duration of the meal time.

Umilele
Aug 12, 2007
Is it normal for a two year old dog to grow? I adopted Rowan (a Brittany) last June, and he turned 2 in July. When I got him, he was at about 40 lbs, which was a good weight for him. I weighed him out of curiosity yesterday and he weighs 50 lbs, but is still in pretty good shape. :psyduck: He's got an hourglass figure (viewed from above), and I can feel his ribs fairly easily underneath a layer of fat. He's a tiny bit overweight - could stand to lose one pound, maybe two - but you can really only tell by looking at the tuck up. It should be a little bit more defined.

I know that giant breeds aren't physically mature until 2-3 years, but I would think that a medium sized dog like a Brittany would be done growing by about 1 1/2. Is it possible that he continued growing/filling out after he was put on a good diet? He was a strictly outside dog before he was turned over to the rescue - my understanding is that he didn't get a whole lot of attention, aside from the kids, so I'd guess they had him on Kibbles & Bits or something.

I don't really know, just curious if anyone has an explanation. I don't have any photos from those first few months that provide something to compare his size against. They're all in a field, at the park, etc.

sgocity
Dec 4, 2006

KilGrey posted:

Your friend is an idiot. Pits were never bred for human aggression and if it's a true 'pitbull' it wont look twice at a human. They were actually bred to have a complete lack of human aggression any any dog that demonstrated any was put down. From what I understand most 'pits' that have shown human aggression are bastard mixes of pitbulls and armstaff/mastiffs. I'm sure Superconductor will be able to give you a much better and detailed explanation.

Here is a really good Superconductor post on the topic.

I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt and say that he's not an idiot - he's just ignorant (although I could be mistaken).

I completely understand the dog aggression vs human aggression thing and as I said, I've explained that to him.

I had already read the thread you linked. I'm in no way questioning Superconductor's knowledge or expertise, but to say to a non-goon "Well there's this woman on an internet forum who says this," it's not the most credible argument. That's why I wanted some actual (objective) websites that I could send his way.

Meow Cadet
May 2, 2007

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me
I just moved, and have a new senior neighbor that I see walking her little toy dogs all the time. One of the dogs (a large Chihuahua cross?) is friendly at first, jumping up and asking for pets. But as soon as you stop petting and/or step away from the dog, "Peppy" turns into a growling barking demon dog.

Stepping away from the dog seems to be the biggest issue. Peppy was sitting still while we chit chatted, but as soon as we turned away to go back inside, demon dog was back. She said it also happens in her home when friends visit. All is love and pets until people leave, then they get bit in the rear end.

The old woman feels responsible for not raising the dog correctly. She thinks it's because she jerks on the leash too much when people are around. Are there any tips I can offer in a friendly way besides "you didn't socialize your dog you Moron?"

DenialTwist
Sep 18, 2008
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.

Quick question, it's starting to get hot here (FL) and I'm worried about Maverick getting all her exercise. We usually go on about a hour bike ride twice a day, but now that it's getting hotter she's starting to give out at about 20 min. Right now I stop when she starts lagging behind me on the bike. Other useful info I don't have a pool, and she doesn't really swim when go to the doggy park with the lake ( I don't think she knows how) I'm hoping to teach her to swim when it gets warm enough for people to swim.As of right now I'm just mixing in some walks during the day, but I'm unemployed right now so with a new job I probably won't be able to do this.

Is there anything I can do to get her but not pass out?
How common is heat stroke in dogs?
At what point should I really stop pushing her?
How can I keep her cool (and not psycho) in July when it's 98 and 100% humidity?

BellyBionic
Feb 24, 2006

by Ozma
We've had a problem with fleas ever since I moved to Oregon from the high desert of Utah. It's much less of a problem since we finally figured out that one of the cats skin problems were a flea bite allergy and got all three cats on Frontline. We do still see the occasional flea, though, especially if we forget their dose until a few days after it was due.

This wasn't really a problem anymore, but a few days ago we decided to take in a rat who was in need of a new home. I've kept rats before, so I know how to take care of him, except for the fleas. Clearly, I can't just add our baby rat to the Frontline lineup. So far, the rat is flea-free, but we've had him for barely a week and I know how quickly an infestation can get really bad for rodents. So how do I protect my rat from fleas? Is having the cats on Frontline enough?

No pictures yet, but he's a two month old beige hooded dumbo. We named him Nobby Nobbs.

Rodent Mortician
Mar 17, 2009

SQUEAK.

BellyBionic posted:

We've had a problem with fleas ever since I moved to Oregon from the high desert of Utah. It's much less of a problem since we finally figured out that one of the cats skin problems were a flea bite allergy and got all three cats on Frontline. We do still see the occasional flea, though, especially if we forget their dose until a few days after it was due.

This wasn't really a problem anymore, but a few days ago we decided to take in a rat who was in need of a new home. I've kept rats before, so I know how to take care of him, except for the fleas. Clearly, I can't just add our baby rat to the Frontline lineup. So far, the rat is flea-free, but we've had him for barely a week and I know how quickly an infestation can get really bad for rodents. So how do I protect my rat from fleas? Is having the cats on Frontline enough?

If you want to treat him preventatively, rats can be dosed with either Revolution (selamectin) or Advantage (Imidacloprid) (though they're typically used for treating mites and lice respectively, both also kill fleas).

Here are their guides for dosing:
http://ratguide.com/meds/antiinfectives/selamectin_revolution.php
http://ratguide.com/meds/anti-infectives/advantage.php

The only caveat to that is that both pages recommend a formula of X drops per pound of rat, and I really dislike dosing so broadly on such a small animal, so I'd recommend weighing and figuring out the actual mg/kg dosage to give.

Larva
Dec 26, 2007

BellyBionic posted:

No pictures yet, but he's a two month old beige hooded dumbo. We named him Nobby Nobbs.

Cat and dog fleas don't much like rats as hosts, so they probably aren't at a high risk of infestation unless a rat flea gets tracked into the house.

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
Think for Yourself, Question Authority.
I think there is something wrong with my cat. He just sits at my door to my apartment for hours meowing nonstop. Nothing will make him stop, I don't understand why. If i try to go and pet him he starts to bite me.

He also loves to chew on the side of papers and notebooks, which is extremely irritating. Does anyone know how to stop him from doing this stuff? He's about 9 months old

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist
Sounds to me like he's under-stimulated. Do you play with him a lot? He's young; young cats need a lot of stimulation. Try getting a different variety of toys together (you can make them; they don't have to be expensive) to find out what type he likes the best. For example, my cats love toys that dangle from rods/sticks that I wave around, laser pointers, and little toys they can bat around (which includes the super-cheap aluminum foil balls I make for them). They hate those balls that have the bell inside or any other toy that makes a lot of noise.

As for your papers and notebooks, I just wouldn't leave them where he can reach them. Again, he's young, and he may outgrow a habit like this, but it's doubtful he will if they're always in his reach.

Finally, if you're really worried about his stimulation levels, consider getting him a friend. Young cats generally have an easier time with introductions, and another cat with a similar energy level to his means built in playing.

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
I try to play with him but then he just bites me. I have tons of cat toys that he usually goes crazy over...but I throw one by him, he goes to play with it, but then just stops and sits back down and starts meowing. :(

mumblingscrapwaver
Dec 13, 2007

unnecessary complication
Is he neutered? If not, you probably have your answer. And either way, if it's a recent change, you should take him to the vet to rule out any physical problems.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist
Throwing a toy is what you do to play fetch with a dog. I'm not surprised it doesn't work for your cat. You actually have to be involved with playing with a cat. Take a fishing rod toy like this (the king of all dangly toys), and dangle it for him. Lay it down, drag it on the floor, jump it up into the air, and so on. Or, get a laser pointer. In both cases, play with him for an extended period of time-- he's young and has to burn off his energy!

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
He's neutered and I just took em to the vet last month, and they said he was A-ok.

And I try to play with him with a dangly toy, but he just sits there. He usually goes crazy for the mouse toys, but sometimes he just sits there and meows at it instead of playing.

He just passed out though, so I dont know.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
Try the laser pointer; most cats can't resist it. Consider getting him a similarly aged buddy, too. Another neutered male typically makes for the easiest introduction.

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004

Fire In The Disco posted:

Try the laser pointer; most cats can't resist it. Consider getting him a similarly aged buddy, too. Another neutered male typically makes for the easiest introduction.

Yah I've got a laser pointer which he likes sometimes.

I wish i could get another kitty but I just can't in my tiny rear end bronx apartment.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich
I consider laser pointers kind of cruel actually. At least for my cats, they get frustrated and agitated when they can't 'catch' the dot.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007

dutchbstrd posted:

Yah I've got a laser pointer which he likes sometimes.

I wish i could get another kitty but I just can't in my tiny rear end bronx apartment.

Can't because it's not allowed? Or can't because you think it's unfair? If the former, then yeah, I hear you. Just try to be more interactive with your playing; cats dig that.

If it's the latter, though, cats don't actually need a lot of floor space. What they prefer is vertical space. If you have a cat tree or two, or some bookcases, or any sturdy furniture they can run around on and get to the top of, then you absolutely have adequate space for two cats.

Terraplane
Aug 16, 2007

And when I mash down on your little starter, then your spark plug will give me fire.

WardeL posted:

I consider laser pointers kind of cruel actually. At least for my cats, they get frustrated and agitated when they can't 'catch' the dot.

You can hide a treat somewhere when they aren't looking. After they play a bit, use the dot to lure them to the treat then stop the dot on it and let them 'catch' it. This seems to keep my cats happy with the game.

Semisponge
Mar 9, 2006

I FUCKING LOVE BUTTS
So, I have a cat who vomits frequently (3-4 times a week). I ask about it every time I take my cats to the vet and have been told "well...some cats just barf a lot, maybe try changing diet?". I wasn't terribly concerned because she's never lost weight, shed excessively, or become lethargic. Lately however she's been...itchy. I mean, that's what I assume, she'll go into frantic grooming sessions and just generally flail around with an irritated look on her face. I would assume it's fleas or some other kind of parasite but my other cat is completely unaffected. Should I take her back to the vet (again)? Should I change their food (again)? Right now they're on Natural Balance dry...I always forget the name, but it's got a pink label.

hhgtrillian
Jan 23, 2004

DOGS IN SPACE

Semisponge posted:

So, I have a cat who vomits frequently (3-4 times a week). I ask about it every time I take my cats to the vet and have been told "well...some cats just barf a lot, maybe try changing diet?". I wasn't terribly concerned because she's never lost weight, shed excessively, or become lethargic. Lately however she's been...itchy. I mean, that's what I assume, she'll go into frantic grooming sessions and just generally flail around with an irritated look on her face. I would assume it's fleas or some other kind of parasite but my other cat is completely unaffected. Should I take her back to the vet (again)? Should I change their food (again)? Right now they're on Natural Balance dry...I always forget the name, but it's got a pink label.

I have a cat that was a frequent barfer (about 4 times a week or so, usually piles of undigested food) and so far, California Naturals has helped a lot. I've used both the fish and the chicken dry foods. Now he probably throws up once every couple of weeks or less. If she has food allergies, this might be a good food to try as well since it has a short ingredients list. Not really sure if that's what the itching is about or not. I had also read something about the Royal Canin Special 33 and how some people with barfing cats had used this with some luck. Royal Canin is kind of a mediocre quality food, but if it can help with frequent barfing I think it would be fine. You might check into these to see if they will help.

Sauterne
Apr 11, 2008
I've only just started browsing PI because I am interested in getting a dog. While I was initially only looking for a New Owner's FAQ, I have instead learned a lot of fascinating information that I wasn't even remotely aware of before, such as the English Bulldog being a genetic mess that is extremely divorced from what the breed was originally supposed to be, and that pitbulls are actually super human friendly (I've really been sold on the pitbull because of PI, and would love to get one later on after I've had more experience as a dog owner).

That said, I've seen the Maremma Sheepdog mentioned a couple times as what I've interpreted as a dog to be wary of, and I was wondering, what is wrong with the Maremma? I don't have any intention of getting one, but from googling it, I couldn't immediately see anything wrong with it physically nor temperamentally; it looks a lot like a Great Pyrenees to me (but I am also a complete dog noob), and while google didn't actually turn up too many results regarding temperament, nothing I read seemed particularly out of the ordinary to me (good companion dogs, protective, etc.).

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation

Sauterne posted:

I've only just started browsing PI because I am interested in getting a dog. While I was initially only looking for a New Owner's FAQ, I have instead learned a lot of fascinating information that I wasn't even remotely aware of before, such as the English Bulldog being a genetic mess that is extremely divorced from what the breed was originally supposed to be, and that pitbulls are actually super human friendly (I've really been sold on the pitbull because of PI, and would love to get one later on after I've had more experience as a dog owner).

That said, I've seen the Maremma Sheepdog mentioned a couple times as what I've interpreted as a dog to be wary of, and I was wondering, what is wrong with the Maremma? I don't have any intention of getting one, but from googling it, I couldn't immediately see anything wrong with it physically nor temperamentally; it looks a lot like a Great Pyrenees to me (but I am also a complete dog noob), and while google didn't actually turn up too many results regarding temperament, nothing I read seemed particularly out of the ordinary to me (good companion dogs, protective, etc.).

Maremmas are great dogs....for guarding livestock. They're just not particularly suited temperamentally to life as a pet. Too independent, too potentially aggressive, too protective. They're one of those breeds that's pretty much only suitable as a working dog and nothing else.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007

Semisponge posted:

Could be allergies. Both the dark pink (Ultra Premium) and the light pink (Reduced Calorie) label varieties of Natural Balance have multiple meats. There are some foods out there that contain a single meat (e.g. only chicken, only duck, etc), and for the life of me I'm too tired to remember the most recommended brands. But, if it's allergies, you often have to do careful switching until you learn what causes her allergic reaction.

Anyone want to help my poor tax-season riddled brain remember what brand of premium food has varieties with single meats in it?

Sauterne
Apr 11, 2008

Superconductor posted:

Maremmas are great dogs....for guarding livestock. They're just not particularly suited temperamentally to life as a pet. Too independent, too potentially aggressive, too protective. They're one of those breeds that's pretty much only suitable as a working dog and nothing else.

Ah, I see now, thank you!

taxanomalie
May 10, 2008

Could be allergies. Both the dark pink (Ultra Premium) and the light pink (Reduced Calorie) label varieties of Natural Balance have multiple meats. There are some foods out there that contain a single meat (e.g. only chicken, only duck, etc), and for the life of me I'm too tired to remember the most recommended brands. But, if it's allergies, you often have to do careful switching until you learn what causes her allergic reaction.

Anyone want to help my poor tax-season riddled brain remember what brand of premium food has varieties with single meats in it?

Royal Canin does, they have a variety of "novel protein" foods for allergies things like rabbit, venison, or duck.

Crooked Booty
Apr 2, 2009
arrr
Also Evo has some good canned products for allergic kitties that are relatively new. They make a 90% Duck, 90% Beef, and 90% Venison if I remember correctly. If you can't do a single protein source, usually eliminating grains and all fish products is a good place to start with cats.

I have an IBD kitty, which is along the same spectrum as a food allergy, and she has improved a lot on Evo dry + Wellness turkey canned.

And vomiting 3-4 times a week isn't normal for any cat. If your vet is shrugging that off, it's time to find a new vet in my opinion.

Semisponge
Mar 9, 2006

I FUCKING LOVE BUTTS

Thanks, I went and found Solid Gold grain-free kibble. It's going to take some time to see if it makes any difference, since the changeover is going to take a while and the vomiting flares up and dies down unpredictably.

What is a good place to find high-quality foods? Is the internet practical or is the shipping cost really high?

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

Net contents 12 fluid oz.
Those of us with cats know that 'cat about to puke' huck huck huck sound, and one of my cats pukes about once a week.

However, my other cat makes a different noise for about 10 seconds once or twice a week and at first I thought he was trying to puke up a hairball but not succeeding but I'm not really sure.

When he does it, it looks really close to what the attached picture looks like (that's a random cat from image search. not my cat) , his head and neck will stretch out in front of him and he'll lower his head/neck/chest parallel to the ground and breathe out forcefully while maintaining that pose, for 10-30 seconds. He never actually pukes up anything though which is making me wonder if that's what he is even trying to do.

Hairball or something else, what do you think?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Crooked Booty
Apr 2, 2009
arrr

mr. nazi posted:

That's pretty typical hairball posture. One of my cats never pukes anything up either -- sometimes they just need to hack enough to dislodge the hairball so it can be swallowed properly. Mt cat only does this about once or twice a month.

Once a week doesn't sound too terrible, but if it's worrying you or becoming more frequent, I'd take him to the vet. Kitties with asthma (or really any lung issue) will cough in that same position. Is he a noisy breather? Your vet could probably tell you or rule out a lot just by listening to his chest.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007

Semisponge posted:

Thanks, I went and found Solid Gold grain-free kibble. It's going to take some time to see if it makes any difference, since the changeover is going to take a while and the vomiting flares up and dies down unpredictably.

What is a good place to find high-quality foods? Is the internet practical or is the shipping cost really high?

I've advocated for independent pet care stores in other threads, and I'll do it again here. Here's my story, and I've heard it repeated in various ways from a lot of people:

Where I live (Tucson), there are lots of choices for premium and ultra premium dog foods, and very little available good cat food choices. So, I went to the place nearest my house, a tack and feed store that also carries some dog and cat food. Like the other stores I'd been to here, they had a lot of great choices for dogs-- Innova and Innova EVO, California Naturals, Canidae, Wellness, etc.-- and pretty much none for cats. At this point, I'd been buying mixed cases of Merrick canned food for them from Merrick's website, as they have free shipping, and getting Innova (red bag) from the one store, across town, where I could find it.

I found out who their buyer was by asking the kid at the register, "Hey, who buys your pet food?" and he pointed to a woman who was walking around helping customers. I struck up a conversation with her and told her what I was looking for-- grain-free cat food, both wet and dry, and rattled off some names. I left her my contact information and asked her if she'd consider trying out some in the store.

A week later, I got a call from her. She had bought a few bags of Innova EVO dry and a few cases of a couple of the varieties of wet. I came down and bought some of both, only to discover my cats really didn't like the EVO wet. So, I called her and asked if she'd mind trying Merrick wet. I didn't think it'd be a stretch since they already carried a few varieties for dogs. Like you might guess, I got a call a week later. :) AND, she sells it to me for less than it costs on the Merrick site!!

This is not an uncommon scenario. Independent pet store owners/buyers have a lot of freedom to try new things. And she flat out told me that if either of the foods I buy don't do well in the store, she will always be willing to order just for me. So, the moral of the story is, support local businesses. They can actually work with you, and besides, you're helping your community.

/soapbox

Fire In The Disco fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Apr 5, 2009

RyanNotBrian
Nov 28, 2005

Always five, acting as one. Dedicated! Inseparable! Invincible!
Our little boy is becoming a man...

... so we're going to chop his manhood off before it's too late.

He's getting it done at the university veterinary hospital nearby. I have this vision of a student rushing him down a hall at 4:55 pm and shoving him in a box outside a lecturer's office, possibly finishing of the job with a pair of nail scissors at the time. That's how it would have been back in my uni days anyway.

Will he know to chill out and not run around too much afterwards? Or should we just keep him in his crate with short supervised romps for a few days. I'm sure I'll get this info in a few hours from the vet, just checking what the PI standard is. He's about 5 1/2 months old.

Ceridwen
Dec 11, 2004
Of course... If the Jell-O gets moldy, the whole thing should be set aflame.

mr. nazi posted:

Those of us with cats know that 'cat about to puke' huck huck huck sound, and one of my cats pukes about once a week.

However, my other cat makes a different noise for about 10 seconds once or twice a week and at first I thought he was trying to puke up a hairball but not succeeding but I'm not really sure.

When he does it, it looks really close to what the attached picture looks like (that's a random cat from image search. not my cat) , his head and neck will stretch out in front of him and he'll lower his head/neck/chest parallel to the ground and breathe out forcefully while maintaining that pose, for 10-30 seconds. He never actually pukes up anything though which is making me wonder if that's what he is even trying to do.

This is coughing NOT hairballs and it should be taken seriously, especially since it is occurring pretty frequently.

The cat you have a picture of there is named Fritz, and he had asthma (he died about a year ago of an unrelated issue), one of several reasons that cats may cough. I know this, because my cat Zeus had asthma, which I ignored for entirely too long because I did not realize what the coughing was.

This is a picture of Zeus having an attack:

Superficially it seems like a hairball thing, but the posture and noise have subtle differences (drier sound, body kept lower to the ground) and never actually producing a hairball is a big tip off that something else is going on.

Take your cat in to the vet and discuss the coughing fits he's been having. Please don't let them shrug it off (my first vet did), this could be asthma, heartworms, or other heart problems, many of which can be life threatening if left untreated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

Net contents 12 fluid oz.
I'll make an appointment first thing monday, with that as the reason that I'm going (his posture/noise/frequency) and be sure it gets some attention, sounds like it has the potential to be serious.

edit: that picture of zeus is the pose he makes, but way closer to the ground, and he breathes out really hard a couple times (sometimes 8-10) and it sounds like it would if you or I breathed all of the air out of our lungs while making noise doing it, it tapers off at the end in like a wheeze/sigh

he's going to the vet no matter, but does that additional detail match up?

mr. nobody fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Apr 5, 2009