Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

stun runner posted:

Ditto. Immediately put down the cash when I got their mail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.
Got one of these for cheap at a local used place, just wanted a quick input for my computer so i can practice with some headphones on...

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

7 Bowls of Wrath posted:

Got one of these for cheap at a local used place, just wanted a quick input for my computer so i can practice with some headphones on...

I've always kind of wondered how that sounds, since it'll be so easy could you put up some clips when it comes in?

lonequid
Sep 26, 2004

Last fighter of the Euro Conversion Resistance League

Agreed posted:

I've always kind of wondered how that sounds, since it'll be so easy could you put up some clips when it comes in?

I have one and most of the onboard sounds are crap. The distortions are all muffled and grainy sounding. I'll post some clips if you really want.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

No, that's fine. Modeling is my "thing" in the review press, I was just wondering about it. That description says enough :)

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
I want this so bad...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220384290917

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.
Formerly played by The Silver Surfer.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Thoogsby posted:

Formerly played by The Silver Surfer.

dizzywhip
Dec 23, 2005

dizzywhip fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Nov 9, 2020

MrWeight
Dec 9, 2006

by Ozma

kukrunkarmaskin posted:

Ok, I got some lovely cellphone pics of the RGA from the seller.
Ok this looks pretty good, I can't see a scratch so it's all good and....

... What did he DO with this guitar? :psyduck:

I see something < shaped in the left part of this picture, is that a crack or is it just something with the wood?

The V is there, so if you snap the neck, it will snap evenly along that V. This makes it easier to reattach after. If you didn't have the V it would snap unevenly or splinter.

Steiler Drep
Nov 30, 2004
what?

MrWeight posted:

The V is there, so if you snap the neck, it will snap evenly along that V. This makes it easier to reattach after. If you didn't have the V it would snap unevenly or splinter.

I'm almost 90% you're lying, but the 10 remaining % gives me doubt because although that's a cheap guitar, you never know. Really?

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

Steiler Drep posted:

I'm almost 90% you're lying, but the 10 remaining % gives me doubt because although that's a cheap guitar, you never know. Really?

Its not a cheap guitar, its just been hosed up.

Steiler Drep
Nov 30, 2004
what?
^^So is that really true? Wouldn't it come out cheaper in the end to just replace the neck with a Warmoth?

That looks amazing, just imagine that with an aluminum neck. How much does it weigh?

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!
I really doubt its true, its a bolt on neck.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

MrWeight posted:

Please stop talking out your rear end. Seriously. That's an anomaly in the light at best and the beginnings of a nasty break at worst. Trust me- Ibanez doesn't "put a v in the neck so if it breaks it's easier to put back together." Who the gently caress in their right mind thinks a guitar manufacturer would actually do that? That would weaken a neck so bad it's not even funny. The only joint in Ibanez necks is on some of their cheaper guitars with angled headstocks- there's a lapped joint where the headstock is attached. That's it.

I hope it's an anomaly in the light because if I understand correctly he bought the guitar :ohdear:

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.
Since this is more-or-less the gear discussion thread, I'm posting my dilemma here.

I'm planning on a few ~$1000 upgrades of my setup in the next few months or so, and I'm having trouble deciding in what order will the purchases spur my creativity/make life more comfortable in general best.

Computer: My computer is really old. I bought it for $600 with my summer job money in 2005. It's got 1GB of DDR400 RAM, 200GB HDD space, and a whole poo poo-ton of problems. For one, I installed Ubuntu on it for some reason, so when it does boot, I have to babysit it to make sure I get to Windows not Ubuntu. It won't start up correctly the first time because of a bad secondary HDD, but if I take that HDD out of the equation it won't start either. I've thought about spending the money to upgrade the parts a bit, but I realize I'd have to end up replacing everything anyway.

If I choose the computer, I'll save up $1000 or so and buy a decent enough dell and upgrade the RAM, HDDs, and Monitors later, but I feel like I should hold out until I can buy it all at once.

Amps I'm currently using an Orange Crush 30R for both Bass AND Guitar which is bad for multiple reasons. It's solid state, and I'd really like something tube-oriented for recording purposes on the guitar side (heavily considering a Carvin Bel-Air 212), and I'm already set on the Acoustic B200H halfstack setup for bass ($400).

This would be a big upgrade, but I'm not going to be recording anytime soon, so I don't think I'd realize the "benefits" of this purchase for a long while.

"Infrastructure" When I say infrastructure, I mean things like guitar stands, filing cabinets, etc. This would be the cheapest.

I'm obviously leaning towards computer, but if you guys think amp upgrades are the best or have any better ideas, let me know.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Build a computer and you can end up with a better computer than Dell will sell you for the same price. Dell and other big manufacturers have huge purchasing power and that does lead to some real savings, especially on lower end computers, but once you're ready to plop $1000 on it you're much better off building it yourself. Which is quite easy and which you shouldn't be afraid of. If you do decide to build a computer, PM me when the time comes and I'll help you however I can.

As far as the amp, you could get a Bassman :) They still work great for both bass and guitar, and if you're a pedal guy the Bassman is a great host for your pedals to get your dirt sound, and the classic Marshalls everyone loves are only a few parts removed from a Bassman (hell, even the Plexi and JCM800 are still only a few more parts removed from a Bassman) so if you do want "I am cranking this amp" distortion it'll get you there, too. And vintage Bassman heads especially can still be had for super cheap, make sure everything works and don't be afraid to buy 'em, they're very easy to work on if anything should go wrong with it.

It's up to you whether the supporting hardware and gear is important to get right now. I don't have a stand for every guitar, but I do have a case or high-quality, very well padded gig bag for every one, and if you don't I'd really recommend fixing that.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!
Get a Mac.

For Loop
Apr 12, 2005
The Word on the Street.
agreed: i've been wondering about bassman's. they seem to be great platforms for tone shaping (with help from pedals) so your statement makes this even more interesting. they are relatively cheap, too. you're absolutely right.

Steiler Drep
Nov 30, 2004
what?

Stux posted:

Get a Mac.

Although I use a Mac and will probably not change in a looong while, I would not tell him to get a Mac unless he's 100% absolutely aware he'll have to look for completely different software and will have to sacrifice gaming and all that crap for stability. I've pretty much settled in my Macbook, but going from an all-windows recording environment to OS X I'm sure will be a bitch.

I'm surprised Agreed didn't tell him to get a better laptop and buy some modeling software, and buy a Roland KC-350 or similar.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Steiler Drep posted:

I'm surprised Agreed didn't tell him to get a better laptop and buy some modeling software, and buy a Roland KC-350 or similar.

Although I am obviously a great fan and advocate of modeling, it's quite an investment and I don't really think $1000 would cover everything he would need to put together a serious digital setup. A better choice in his case, with his budget might be one of the more inexpensive discrete modeling units, maybe a PodX3, Tonelab, GT-10, G9.2tt, Rocktron Utopia - etc. - something that would let him record quality sound without going overbudget or requiring substantial hardware and software investment. It wouldn't provide the same level of authenticity as a software setup, but it would give him a recording solution that would still be very useful with an amp setup.

Plus, the more people I can convince to buy a Bassman the better, they're excellent amps that can be had at total bargains considering how important they are to the history of rock n' roll music. Nearly every modern amp can be traced back somehow to the Bassman, but Fender made so damned many of them and in so many different configurations you can still get them cheap regardless.

Doomy
Oct 19, 2004

Steiler Drep posted:

Although I use a Mac and will probably not change in a looong while, I would not tell him to get a Mac unless he's 100% absolutely aware he'll have to look for completely different software and will have to sacrifice gaming and all that crap for stability. I've pretty much settled in my Macbook, but going from an all-windows recording environment to OS X I'm sure will be a bitch.

Get a Mac and install Windows with bootcamp. Best of both worlds, you can switch between the two by rebooting.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

Gorilla Salsa posted:

Amps I'm currently using an Orange Crush 30R for both Bass AND Guitar which is bad for multiple reasons. It's solid state, and I'd really like something tube-oriented for recording purposes on the guitar side (heavily considering a Carvin Bel-Air 212), and I'm already set on the Acoustic B200H halfstack setup for bass ($400).

This would be a big upgrade, but I'm not going to be recording anytime soon, so I don't think I'd realize the "benefits" of this purchase for a long while.

Even if you're not actively recording or gigging, a nice amp is a real pleasure to play through -- the "physical loop", the way it pushes air, the creative use of feedback (if that's your thing) -- all are things that you can't capture even with a really good modeling system and really good monitors. I do 90% of my recording with virtual amps, but when I just want to turn poo poo up and play, it's real tubes all the way.

Also, actual amps are a much better long-term investment. Even if you don't plan on reselling stuff, an awesome amp is still going to be an awesome amp 10 years from now.

On the other hand, computers are useful and important too. The last couple of desktop systems I've built, I've gotten a bare-bones chassis from mwave.com -- you can specify what kind of case/CPU/motherboard/RAM you want, they assemble and test it for you for a very modest fee, and then basically all you have to do is plug in the hard disks and video card.

(also, the longer you put off buying a computer, the more computer you will get for the same money)

h_double fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Apr 5, 2009

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.

Agreed posted:

Build a computer and you can end up with a better computer than Dell will sell you for the same price. Dell and other big manufacturers have huge purchasing power and that does lead to some real savings, especially on lower end computers, but once you're ready to plop $1000 on it you're much better off building it yourself. Which is quite easy and which you shouldn't be afraid of. If you do decide to build a computer, PM me when the time comes and I'll help you however I can.

For some dumb reason, I had ruled this out earlier by comparing building specs vs. Dell and found Dell to be cheaper, but these words were the voice of reason, so I double checked, and I guess I will build a new one after all. Thanks, Agreed!

Agreed posted:

As far as the amp, you could get a Bassman :) They still work great for both bass and guitar, and if you're a pedal guy the Bassman is a great host for your pedals to get your dirt sound, and the classic Marshalls everyone loves are only a few parts removed from a Bassman (hell, even the Plexi and JCM800 are still only a few more parts removed from a Bassman) so if you do want "I am cranking this amp" distortion it'll get you there, too. And vintage Bassman heads especially can still be had for super cheap, make sure everything works and don't be afraid to buy 'em, they're very easy to work on if anything should go wrong with it.

I guess I'll just have to wait until I have the money to see what's out there. I'll keep an eye out for something like this, then?

Agreed posted:

It's up to you whether the supporting hardware and gear is important to get right now. I don't have a stand for every guitar, but I do have a case or high-quality, very well padded gig bag for every one, and if you don't I'd really recommend fixing that.

I have a gig bag for my guitar and bass, but I like to have them "ready-to-go" in my room, so for now they're leaning against the wall, which is why I wanted to get something like this for future purchases.

Stux posted:

Get a Mac.

On an $1900 budget, I can get a computer with:
  • a 2.66Ghz Core i7 processor
  • 12 GBs of RAM
  • 1 640GB HDD
  • 1 1TB HDD
  • an Nvidia GTX 260
  • and 2 24" monitors

(note: not going to buy most of what is listed. Maybe that amount of RAM, since I'm told DAWs need that much, but most likely half of that.)

Or I can get this iMac with a wireless mouse and a 1 TB HDD upgrade. Not trying to start a flame war, but that's my reason for not buying a Mac, really.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

Gorilla Salsa posted:

For some dumb reason, I had ruled this out earlier by comparing building specs vs. Dell and found Dell to be cheaper, but these words were the voice of reason, so I double checked, and I guess I will build a new one after all. Thanks, Agreed!

I guess I'll just have to wait until I have the money to see what's out there. I'll keep an eye out for something like this, then?

I have a gig bag for my guitar and bass, but I like to have them "ready-to-go" in my room, so for now they're leaning against the wall, which is why I wanted to get something like this for future purchases.

• 12 GBs of RAM
  • 1 640GB HDD
  • 1 1TB HDD
  • an Nvidia GTX 260
  • and 2 24" monitors

(note: not going to buy most of what is listed. Maybe that amount of RAM, since I'm told DAWs need that much, but most likely half of that.)

Or I can get this iMac with a wireless mouse and a 1 TB HDD upgrade. Not trying to start a flame war, but that's my reason for not buying a Mac, really.

You arn't paying for the hardware god.

The Fog
Oct 10, 2004

-I spent the whole day trying to pull a peanut from that heater vent. Turns out it was just a moth. -How was it? -Dry.

Gorilla Salsa posted:

Computer: My computer is really old. I bought it for $600 with my summer job money in 2005. It's got 1GB of DDR400 RAM, 200GB HDD space, and a whole poo poo-ton of problems. For one, I installed Ubuntu on it for some reason, so when it does boot, I have to babysit it to make sure I get to Windows not Ubuntu. It won't start up correctly the first time because of a bad secondary HDD, but if I take that HDD out of the equation it won't start either. I've thought about spending the money to upgrade the parts a bit, but I realize I'd have to end up replacing everything anyway.
You can change your loader so it chooses Windows by default.
http://www.mepis.org/node/7374

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

Gorilla Salsa posted:

Those things take up a lot of room on the floor, especially if you have basses as you'll have to pull it away from the wall a good bit to get it to clear the headstock. I got rid of all my stands and went with Hercules hangers on my wall, and couldn't be happier.

Steiler Drep
Nov 30, 2004
what?

Gorilla Salsa posted:

• 12 GBs of RAM
  • 1 640GB HDD
  • 1 1TB HDD
  • an Nvidia GTX 260
  • and 2 24" monitors

To be fair, I've got a 2ghz 2gb Macbook with a 7200rpm 320GB (+1TB on time capsule+hard drive) and I can record 4 simultaneous tracks without so much as a hiccup with IRs, delays, compressors, and extra reverbs. You don't need that good of a computer unless you're doing 16 simultaneous tracks running alongside computer synths going at 94khz, 24bit, and controlling a small metropolis in Australia.

Edit, Proof: 7 years ago they could record lots of tracks simultaneously in a PowerMac G4 and still kick severe rear end. Computers are getting faster not because of need but because of convenience, so if you really want to do something intensive you should look into disabling useless processes in your computer (Dashboard and spotlight :argh: )

The amp discussion is true, a really good amp will last you ages and will sell incredibly well in the future. I wouldn't necessarily go for a Bassman but depending on what you play you could get something nice. You say you've got an Orange Crush, well you could go with an Orange Rocker 30 or 50 and you'd have a classic timeless amp which will sell really well in the short and far future.

Steiler Drep fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Apr 5, 2009

KimJongSick
Nov 6, 2008

Doomy posted:

Get a Mac and install Windows with bootcamp. Best of both worlds, you can switch between the two by rebooting.

I was about to say the exact same thing. And if you're getting a new iMac anyway, it's not like you're ever going to need to give a poo poo about hard drive space anyway. Fuckers are available with 1TB, and I have a 1TB XHD that I picked up brand new for $120.

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004
And the grave digger puts on the forceps...

Agreed posted:

If you do decide to build a computer, PM me when the time comes and I'll help you however I can.
If you do this (which is a great idea) go get some help from SH/SC as well, there's a parts/PC building megathread to help you out with what's available right now. You will get way better advice on how to get the best bang for your buck asking for help there. As intuitive as it may seem you really don't want advice from musicians on buying a computer even if you're going to use it to make music. I've always said that's like going to a great football player to find out what TV to buy to watch football, it doesn't make any drat sense. There's definitely already some nonsense advice about computers just in this thread, when we have threads specifically about computers the majority of the posts are simply wrong.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

My vote, esp. if you're having issues with boot load order, is go ahead and buy the $499 Dell. Go ahead and pick up a 1TB HDD and put all your data on that, there's no reason to have a 640gb primary drive. My primary XPSP3 drive is a 7.8 GB drive, and everything except firefox and a couple of other smaller programs all reside on my D: Drive. This makes it just a ton easier to reinstall windows from scratch if you ever get a virus that isn't easily solved with an anti virus program. The $499 core2duo dell will meet all your process-intensive needs for music for the next decade as long as you pump it full of RAM.

DO buy the two 24" LCDs. You'll thank yourself later. I'm just using audacity right now (as a hobbyist) and a 22" LCD @ 1680x1050 is eaten up by that program alone. I would spring for the 1920x1080 displays if you can, every pixel counts.

A good amp has great resale value. Take a look at the Vox AC30. Came out in the 1960s, adjusted for inflation the AC30 cost about $1699 new, almost exactly what they cost today. Used they run for $999 no matter the vintage or condition.

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Apr 5, 2009

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Col.Kiwi posted:

If you do this (which is a great idea) go get some help from SH/SC as well, there's a parts/PC building megathread to help you out with what's available right now. You will get way better advice on how to get the best bang for your buck asking for help there. As intuitive as it may seem you really don't want advice from musicians on buying a computer even if you're going to use it to make music. I've always said that's like going to a great football player to find out what TV to buy to watch football, it doesn't make any drat sense. There's definitely already some nonsense advice about computers just in this thread, when we have threads specifically about computers the majority of the posts are simply wrong.

If he posts over at SH/SC chances are I'll be offering him a lot of advice, there wasn't a lot of info on building a computer intended for audio when I built mine six months ago. They've got it locked down for gaming and productivity machines, though, and a good bang-for-the-buck rig is a good bang-for-the-buck foundation for a studio comp, too. But I do agree that he should look for plenty of available council on the topic and not listen to Stux people here for the final answer.

love u stux ^^

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!
Eh, screen size isn't hugely important. I have two 24" 1920x1200 screens but do the majority of my work on my MBPs 1440x900 15" screen with no problem.

^^ drat it the Mac stuff was a joke. I'm a system builder in my spare time drat you to hell Agreed if that is your real name :argh:

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Gorilla Salsa posted:

Why in God's name is a 4GB to 8GB upgrade $1,000? Yay for only two DIMMs!

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.

Agreed posted:

If you do decide to build a computer, PM me when the time comes and I'll help you however I can.

Will do. :)

warwick5s posted:

Those things take up a lot of room on the floor, especially if you have basses as you'll have to pull it away from the wall a good bit to get it to clear the headstock. I got rid of all my stands and went with Hercules hangers on my wall, and couldn't be happier.

I got a couple of those stands for Christmas (thanks mom :3: ), but they won't stay in the goddamn wall for whatever reason. I've been meaning to get those butterly clips (is that what they're called?) instead of just screwing them in.

Hadlock posted:

DO buy the two 24" LCDs. You'll thank yourself later. I'm just using audacity right now (as a hobbyist) and a 22" LCD @ 1680x1050 is eaten up by that program alone. I would spring for the 1920x1080 displays if you can, every pixel counts.

This is something I've heard echoed everywhere from Sevenstring.org to Talkbass to TheGearPage of all places.

theflyingexecutive posted:

Why in God's name is a 4GB to 8GB upgrade $1,000? Yay for only two DIMMs!

I read somewhere that they charge you for both the RAM you take out AND the RAM they put in.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

Gorilla Salsa posted:

I got a couple of those stands for Christmas (thanks mom :3: ), but they won't stay in the goddamn wall for whatever reason. I've been meaning to get those butterly clips (is that what they're called?) instead of just screwing them in.

If it's drywall you could use the drywall anchors but I wouldn't trust them with an instrument...pick up a cheap stud finder and screw them into the studs.

KimJongSick
Nov 6, 2008

warwick5s posted:

If it's drywall you could use the drywall anchors but I wouldn't trust them with an instrument...pick up a cheap stud finder and screw them into the studs.

Or you could knock on the wall until you find a sound that sounds like you're knocking on a 2x4 instead of a carved-out pumpkin. That is just as reliable and effective.

I priced out that 24" iMac, but with all the internal hardware maxed out. It is surprisingly not painful. $3.3k or something (about $1k less than last year). This little goon knows what his next major gear purchase will be after he gets that Blues DeVille. This will probably be in 2 years though, so I'm going to have fun not having any way to record anything ever until then.

(whatever happened to the dude who bought that gorgeous Starcaster? Holy poo poo-ripping Jesus I want photos)

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.

KimJongSick posted:

Or you could knock on the wall until you find a sound that sounds like you're knocking on a 2x4 instead of a carved-out pumpkin. That is just as reliable and effective.

Thanks for this.

KimJongSick posted:

I priced out that 24" iMac, but with all the internal hardware maxed out. It is surprisingly not painful. $3.3k or something (about $1k less than last year). This little goon knows what his next major gear purchase will be after he gets that Blues DeVille. This will probably be in 2 years though, so I'm going to have fun not having any way to record anything ever until then.

As non-painful as that might be to you, for $3300, you could buy a Mac Pro and upgrade the hardware yourself (RAM, HDD, etc.) and buy a 24" non-apple display and have something much better.

For Loop
Apr 12, 2005
The Word on the Street.
indeed. for $3,300, you could have a ridiculous windows based DAW as well. Look into what you really need. you may not even have to spend 3 grand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Run Dodo Run
Oct 7, 2006

You can run OSX on a PC now (albeit in not a particularly legal matter) and if you get a good enough PC it should run fine. Best of both worlds.