Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cliff
Nov 12, 2008

Morwan posted:

You should spam heals whenever you take damage, even if it's only 3 or 4 HP.

I should've mentioned, but it applies to every SF game except SF2. (SF1, 3 and SF CD).

Naturally. I sort of implied it when I said 'at full health,' but that clarifies it. Also, I've only played 1/2, so I couldn't speak for the others. Have SF3 Ep. 2/3 been translated? I heard that only Episode 1 made it to America, which turned me off of trying it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argon_Sloth
Dec 23, 2006

I PLAYED BATTLETOADS AND ALL I GOT WAS A RASH IN MY ASS
Any tips on Makai Kingdom?

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Does anyone know of any mods I should get for a first playthrough of Medieval II plus the expansion? If not, any tips for it that differ from Rome?

Rueish
Feb 27, 2009

Gone

but not forgotten.

Argon_Sloth posted:

Seconding this, I've had the game for a year but have barely gotten into it due to the massive variety of options at the very beginning. I'd like to know what should I start out with to get off the ground?

Argon_Sloth
Dec 23, 2006

I PLAYED BATTLETOADS AND ALL I GOT WAS A RASH IN MY ASS

Rueish posted:

Seconding this, I've had the game for a year but have barely gotten into it due to the massive variety of options at the very beginning. I'd like to know what should I start out with to get off the ground?

I'm about 2 hours in and it seems that anything you've learned via Phantom Brave applies. They seem to use the same engine. But it seems much simpler than PB

So far that just means choosing items to confine into generic characters based on what stats that character needs to excel. Same with weapons. The hard part is keeping track of who can use what.

MisterEff
Sep 24, 2008

Mr E posted:

Does anyone know of any mods I should get for a first playthrough of Medieval II plus the expansion? If not, any tips for it that differ from Rome?

Lands to Conquer is probably the best mod to start out with, as it's basically a refining of the vanilla M2TW experience.

After you're more comfortable with it, I'd suggest Stainless Steel. It adds quite a few factions and alters the gameplay pretty drastically. Some people have reported instability problems with it, however, even though I've never experienced that.

I'd also like to mention a less popular mod called Thera, which is a kind of alt-universe historical fantasy mod. It has a new map and rearranges the factions, and even includes a Roman faction that another modder apparently made. It's still a bit raw, but it's pretty interesting once you've played the hell out of Europe and want something different.

All of these are hosted by twcenter.net.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

John Pastor posted:

Rome - Total War
  • Be the Romans. This is a no-brainer.
  • Hire mercenary hoplites to bolster your forces. Let them do the dying. Roman infantry is generally too valuable to be sacrificed lightly.
  • Heavy infantry in the center, light infantry on the flanks. Always fight on the defensive. Cavalry should be in the rear, and should sweep out to protect your flanks and attack theirs once the battle is joined. Don't throw away your general, because if he dies, your morale drops like a rock.
  • Don't be afraid to maintain a second line of reserve infantry behind. You can order your first line to disengage, and while it won't be pretty, you can often save a tired unit by having them run through your second line. Just don't forget to order the reserve unit to fill the gap.
  • Flanks are extremely vulnerable. Keep yours clear, always pummel your opponent's. This is especially true with hoplites. If you're charging the front of a hoplite, you're doing it wrong, and will die.
  • Always have a unit or two of light cavalry to run down fleeing survivors and skirmishers. Don't let the enemy retreat with intact units. Try and kill them to the last man if you can- especially archers and other annoyances.
  • The artillery you can bring with your units is next to useless against walls, but gently caress if it doesn't kill enemy soldiers like the dickens. Scorpions on a hill can fire over long distances, with fair accuracy, and skewer whole columns at a time. Once they get experienced- which they will quickly, if you don't let them die like a retard- they'll fire faster, further, and more accurately. You can have a battle half-over before the melee starts.
  • When fighting Carthage, bring skirmishers- Velites, specifically. Use them against elephants. They're cheap, so it's worth losing a unit of them to cause to rampage a unit of elephants- especially when those elephants are still among enemy troops.
  • You can try the manipular formation (line each of Velites, Hastati, Principes, Triarii, each falling back through the other when tired) if you're a masochist. I'd recommend Principes in the center, Hastati on the flanks, and Triarii in reserve, with Velites as skirmishers. Get archers if you can find them, because they'll outrange your Velites. Post-Marian, your units will homogenize- while simultaneously growing in effectiveness- meaning that you can pretty much just build big lines and crush the hell out of them.

One more piece of advice in Rome: Hire bloody mercenaries whenever and where ever you can. Seriously. Don't worry about the price of maintaining them, just keep hiring them and zerging everywhere. You will never really need to BUILD any units for your main conquest obliteration force if you keep doing this, seriously.

Also, this applies way more to the Barbarian Invasion expansion:

Murder the gently caress out of your own people at all times. Seriously. If you are having trouble maintaining order and getting revolts, simply move your men out of a city on the verge of unrest, let them flip, march them right back in and then execute everyone you can. Small populations = Easily controlled; if you really want to conquer the world repeatedly murder towns as much as possible.

To be entirely honest when playing this game I never tried to do it the right way and build units civilization style as the building construction just takes too long. It's all about one rolling force of hired mercenary scum conquering the world while the rest of my force just scraps with whatever the AI sends your way and murders the every loving crap out of everyone who starts to not like me. Just keep some Generals in the group and you're good to go.

Oh yeah, one more piece of advice: Don't bother with diplomacy. The AI sucks, it never helps you even if it says it will, it will sign peace treaties and attack you in the same turn (this isn't realistic, it just doesn't give a poo poo) and so forth. Extort them for money or territory if possible then burn their houses down. It's pointless to try anything else.

Portable Staplefrog
May 21, 2007

Argon_Sloth posted:

You can use buildings to put more units on the field than normally would be allowed and the ones stuck in buildings will still get bonus EXP at the end of the stage. Abuse this for grinding purposes.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I need tips on Galactic Civilizations II and if the expansions are worth it?

Serious Michael
Oct 13, 2007

Is only joking.
Before I go and pick up one of the Brothers in Arms series, which would you guys recommend I pick up? Excluding Hell's Highway.

Anonononomous
Jul 1, 2007

Scalding Coffee posted:

The expansions are definitely worth it. They add a lot to the game. Especially the second one which, for one, gives all the races different tech trees and unique buildings.

As for tips, I can't help that much because I'm pretty bad. One thing I know is that, at the start of the game, at least, it is more efficient to build happiness buildings to increase morale to make more tax money rather than building economic buildings to do the same.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

rss feeder posted:

Before I go and pick up one of the Brothers in Arms series, which would you guys recommend I pick up? Excluding Hell's Highway.

The first two are pretty much the same game, just with different story/battles, so you may as well go with the first one. They're fun, but repetitive.

gallilee
Jul 24, 2001

Imagine when you're about to get your dick sucked by the alien from aliens and she's like "ahaha guess i gotta bring out my little mouth for this one"
Just bought the Penumbra collection from steam. Any general tips? I just started it and died pretty quick so I guess fighting the enemies is more or less not an option att all in these games?

EDIT: Come to think of it, that might be the only tip you can give someone for this game. RUN AWAY!

Scary loving game!

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007
Shining Force

Cliff posted:

Naturally. I sort of implied it when I said 'at full health,' but that clarifies it. Also, I've only played 1/2, so I couldn't speak for the others. Have SF3 Ep. 2/3 been translated? I heard that only Episode 1 made it to America, which turned me off of trying it out.

Scenario 2 is relatively close. Should be plenty playable, but it isn't complete. More progress is currently being made on Scenario 3, but they only have Chapters 1 and 2 in playable shape.

http://forums.shiningforcecentral.com/index.php?showforum=34

Category Fun!
Dec 2, 2008

im just trying to get you into bed
Please help me. I am terrible at Homeworld 2. I was awful at the first one too, and now, many years later, my wisdom and experience still doesn't mean poo poo against the Vaygr. Any tips would be appreciated, but specifically I'm stuck on the 3rd mission where you have to defend the shipyard. Is there much point in trying to recapture it if they manage to board it? I was doing well until the infiltration frigates showed up, and then somehow all my ships simeltaneously exploded.

HedgeHodge
Jan 22, 2006

What should I need to know before playing Fallout 3 on the PC? In addition to general game knowledge, I'm wondering about what mods are necessary and what's the best way to go through Fallout 3 and its DLC.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

HedgeHodge posted:

What should I need to know before playing Fallout 3 on the PC? In addition to general game knowledge, I'm wondering about what mods are necessary and what's the best way to go through Fallout 3 and its DLC.

Pay thorough attention to the entire tutorial. (You'll know when you're done with the tutorial.) Also, remember to use VATS whenever possible.

Repair skill is very useful, because weapons degrade faster under VATS, and you'll find loads of extra weapons. Ammo weighs nothing, so pick up all you find.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

HedgeHodge posted:

The best way to do Fallout 3 so you don't screw up the story missions is to just go ahead and do the story up to meeting the Brotherhood of Steel. Otherwise there are a couple of areas where you can accidentally skip story by just exploring while after that it becomes harder to mess it up.

After that just spend the rest of your time exploring which is the meat and potatoes of Fallout 3.

Anonononomous
Jul 1, 2007

HedgeHodge posted:

I've been told this mod for turning off auto-aim is a good one to have. I haven't used it yet but I do know that rifle shots not going where I aim is pretty annoying. http://www.fallout3nexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=788

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Scalding Coffee posted:

Can someone expand on this, since every time I play Galciv II, I constantly bleed money and I have no idea how to stop unless I'm playing the one super mercantile Civ (Korx?).

Also, what factors actually go towards morale? It seems that it constantly drops and I have no idea why. The game feels more opaque than, say, Civ 4, where you know exactly where your numbers come from and what they're contributing to. People say this game is great, but it sure isn't making it easy to be loved.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

muscles like this? posted:

The best way to do Fallout 3 so you don't screw up the story missions is to just go ahead and do the story up to meeting the Brotherhood of Steel. Otherwise there are a couple of areas where you can accidentally skip story by just exploring while after that it becomes harder to mess it up.

After that just spend the rest of your time exploring which is the meat and potatoes of Fallout 3.

I agree with this completely. Just follow the story straight along until this point, and you won't skip story events. Although, I think you can safely do all of the Megaton stuff without messing anything up, as long as you don't wander too far out.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

Chinook posted:

Megaton

Speaking of Megaton, there's a mission focused on Megaton where you get a choice of which path to take; either way, you'll still be able to do Moira's multi-part quests.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Chinook posted:

I agree with this completely. Just follow the story straight along until this point, and you won't skip story events. Although, I think you can safely do all of the Megaton stuff without messing anything up, as long as you don't wander too far out.

The biggest problem was that they stuck story bits into areas that looked interesting enough to explore on their own like Rivet City and the Jefferson Memorial.

Also if you do the story up to meeting up with the Brotherhood you can actually use power armor. Since you're unable to equip it until you get trained which only the Brotherhood of Steel can do.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

Category Fun! posted:

Please help me. I am terrible at Homeworld 2.

Try scuttling all your ships at the end of the previous mission. Seriously. There will be less enemy ships in the mission you're having problems with.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

The biggest problem was that they stuck story bits into areas that looked interesting enough to explore on their own like Rivet City and the Jefferson Memorial.

Also if you do the story up to meeting up with the Brotherhood you can actually use power armor. Since you're unable to equip it until you get trained which only the Brotherhood of Steel can do.

Basically, if you're going to wander and don't want to mess the story up, avoid these three places on the map: Jefferson Memorial, Rivet City, and "Smith Casey's Garage", out west. Those are the only three that I think can really mess up the order of things.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

This is broadly true, but to be honest the storyline missions are generally some of the least interesting/fun parts of that game. I just found the sidequests much more interesting.

With that in mind, what I'd say is that to avoid really annoying sequence-breaking do the story quests up until you talk to three-dog in person. Or at least dont go exploring the three mentioned locationsrivet city, jefferson memorial and casey smiths garage. If you do then you miss out on a helpful encounter on the way to meet threedog. Specifically: If you skip over meeting three-dog and sequence break his part of the main quest then you dont meet up with lyons pride on your way to GNR, and have to fight the behemoth on your lonesome without the benefit of a looted fat mat

If you are really desperate to get power armour training so you can wear power armour, then yeah, either follow the story quest until you can learn it that way (but be aware that you are then about 75% of your way through the main quest) or do the Operation Anchorage DLC mission. You gain power armour training at the end of that, regardless of level or anything else. Depending on what type of character you play and how badly you want to abuse the game there is a reasonable arguement for not bothering with power armour most of the time anyway.

I love fallout 3, but for me at least most of the fun of it was wandering around, doing side quests and exploring. If you are so worried about accidently breaking the quest that you stick to the main quest at all times, you are going to miss out on a lot of stuff. Hell, you'd only go further north than minefield once! Best thing to do in my opinion is: Just play the game the way you want. If you havent talked to three-dog and you see any of the three named locations in my first spoiler above, just dont go inside them.

Other more generic advice:

On your way out of the vault, take pretty much everything. If it isnt nailed down take it and sell it later.

Just before you leave the fault you have the chance to change all your skills and attributes, so dont worry too much the first time you set them.

You are usually better only focusing on one or two combat skills rather than trying to be a jack of all trades. Small guns are the most common weapon type that doesnt require you to be standing on someones toes to hit them.

Most areas scale to your level reasonably well, so dont be afraid to explore. Save often though.

There is a perk that increases the number of skill points you get per level. There is also a perk that increases the number of skill points you get from reading a book. Both these perks should be taken as soon as you can!

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

Fistful Of Frags

- Have at least one Source game before installing (you should already know this)
- You can get dual Navy's for the price of one Peacemaker
- Navy is better then the Peacemaker in every way except firing speed
- The Henry Repeating Rifle is like an Old West assault rifle
- The Axe's secondary fire (throw) is the most damaging attack in the game
- Only bots can use the Gatling Gun, don't waste time trying to get on it
- If you really want to snipe, the Sharps is complete crap, go for the Henry or Smith

Category Fun!
Dec 2, 2008

HedgeHodge posted:

If you're just wandering around the wasteland exploring, remember to keep saving! You only get a new autosave when you load a new area (Going inside a building etc.), so if you're just walking across the world map, dying can put you back a good half hour.

GuavaMoment posted:

Try scuttling all your ships at the end of the previous mission. Seriously. There will be less enemy ships in the mission you're having problems with.

I know about this glitch, but I'm trying to avoid using it if possible.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

GrandpaPants posted:

Can someone expand on this, since every time I play Galciv II, I constantly bleed money and I have no idea how to stop unless I'm playing the one super mercantile Civ (Korx?).

Also, what factors actually go towards morale? It seems that it constantly drops and I have no idea why. The game feels more opaque than, say, Civ 4, where you know exactly where your numbers come from and what they're contributing to. People say this game is great, but it sure isn't making it easy to be loved.

Population count(Higher forces a greater penalty, and it gets real high, real fast. 16 billion is about the best amount), morale buildings on the planet, your tax rate(Higher adds a worse penalty), planet quality(Higher is better).

Mouse-over the Morale score on the colony screen sometime-it'll tell you EVERYTHING.

Most important is DON'T OVER-EXTEND YOUR BUILDING. Remember that you need to pay for your production as well as building maintenance, ship maintenence, etc-those hammers and shields aren't free. Building too much too soon will break you.

Category Fun! posted:

and then somehow all my ships simeltaneously exploded.

Wait, all at once? Sounds like you're having copy-protection issues. I vaguely remember hearing of something like that...and it occuring even to legit copies due to the nature of the protection. There should be a fix or patch around somewhere.

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Apr 6, 2009

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Category Fun! posted:

I know about this glitch, but I'm trying to avoid using it if possible.

It's not a glitch. Homeworld and Homeworld 2 automatically scale the enemy fleet according to the number of resources you have and your fleet composition. The stronger you are, the stronger the enemy is. Mission 3 is a huge bitch. I don't really have any strategy for it beyond moving the mothership as close to the shipyard as possible, and countering whatever the Vaygr pump out. Once you get a good pause in the action, send bombers up to destroy whichever carrier happens to be the one building frigates (or at the least disable the frigate construction bay).

quote:

You also automatically gain the ability to use power armor once you finish the Operation: Anchorage DLC.

Category Fun!
Dec 2, 2008

Bloodly posted:

Wait, all at once? Sounds like you're having copy-protection issues. I vaguely remember hearing of something like that...and it occuring even to legit copies due to the nature of the protection. There should be a fix or patch around somewhere.

Haha, seriously? That's the best copy protection ever. I'm pretty sure I'm exaggerating and that they were being taken out by the frigates, but I'll double check next time I play.

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

I know it's been mentioned a thousand times before and I apologise but I'm a brand new player to not only Disgaea (DS if it matters) but the entire SRPG genre itself - normally I play dungeon crawlers and Final Fantasy type RPGs. I love the humour and the characters though so I really want to get into it but it's a whole new genre I know nothing about. So guys, what should a first time SRPG/Disgaea player really really know?

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

Faerie Fortune posted:

I know it's been mentioned a thousand times before and I apologise but I'm a brand new player to not only Disgaea (DS if it matters) but the entire SRPG genre itself - normally I play dungeon crawlers and Final Fantasy type RPGs. I love the humour and the characters though so I really want to get into it but it's a whole new genre I know nothing about. So guys, what should a first time SRPG/Disgaea player really really know?

Disgaea is very different from other SRPGs, but if you want to have an easy time of it, use less than a handful of characters. You can bring out ten, but you'll never have that many at a decent level anyway. It's easiest if you just focus on Laharl, teach him Heal and have him pretty much solo everything, although that may not be much fun.

To teach him Heal, have him create a Cleric, then in battle position the Cleric next to him and have him cast it several times until he gets to level 1 in it. Note that you can bring out Laharl and your cleric, have Laharl cast Heal and Execute it, then cancel the Cleric's move to put it back in the base before you End Turn, keeping it out of danger.

Disgaea's mechanics are very unique to the genre, to the point that some of the things you can do (like the above) really feel like cheating. I promise you though, it's all intentional.

zzMisc fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Apr 6, 2009

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Never do Item World runs early on. If you can kill/move Gatekeepers in two hits on the same turn and clear all 10 floors (10 is all you need for story missions) in around 15 minutes, then you are not wasting your time.

You only need to kill the tenth floor leaders of Item Worlds to get a large bonus increase. Skip all the floors.

Fists moves Gatekeepers off of the panels and giving your Fist users three shoes, is very efficient.

Reload the store to get specialists (or two) that add to the main stat of an item and forgo buying the next level item.

Have you team move in a Turtle formation where they can combo attacks and allow on enemy to hit your guy at a time.

Higher elevations allow more damage and reduces your damage from regular attacks.

Level on maps that have lots of Exp squares or have multiple enemies that can be killed very quickly from the start.

Stealing is very helpful, capturing monster classes (and their items) is even better, if you have lots of disposable guys in your panel. HP is very important (greatly weaken your target) for this and the post game is downright unfair with capturing 5-6 digit HP monsters.

Always attack from behind or the sides if you use regular attacks.

Never balance your guys and fill them with equipment that magnifies their skills.

Orfeo
Nov 27, 2007

Ectobiology sure does involve a lot of button pushing.

Faerie Fortune posted:

I would also suggest throwing the fight at the end of Chapter 1. You'll start a new cycle, and you can get a hidden character Plenair, the mascot with a fairly rare weapon proficiency.

Anonononomous
Jul 1, 2007

GrandpaPants posted:

My strategy is to build morale enhancing buildings and drop my tax rate to the minimum at the start, while colonizing. I often get into the red, but the low taxes and morale buildings make the population grow as fast as possible and it always ends up paying for itself. Be sure not to stay in debt for too long, though, as that will also piss off the population.

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe
This may seem pretty obvious, but do not play Gears of War 2 before you try Gears of War. While they're both great games, the single player in GoW2 is VASTLY superior to the original, in nearly every way. This makes it a bit hard to appreciate how good the original probably was when it was released.

Kazanski
Apr 19, 2005
A bad enough dude...
Dead Space

The force gun is the best weapon, buy it and upgrade it ASAP. You may think it sucks at first, but it's awesome. You just have to be at a certain range for it to be effective. Too far away and it does nothing, but if you're too close it loses some punch too. Once you develop a feel for the range and where you have to aim on the enemy's body, you can kill most enemies in 1 or 2 hits. The best part is that it pushes enemies away from you and knocks them on their rear end, giving you plenty of time to kill them at your leisure. The plasma cutter or line gun should be your second choice. The pulse rifle is decent, but not as good as the other two. The flamethrower is completely useless, and the contact beam is only good for the 2 bosses and those rare big guys. The ripper sucks, but is fun to use.

Upgrading air, stasis, and kinesis is a waste until you have nothing else left to upgrade. All of the vacuum sections can be beaten with no air upgrades and no air canisters. You shouldn't need more than 60 seconds to beat any of these areas, and in the few cases where you do, there are oxygen rechargers all over the place. Any time you need stasis to pass an area there will be a stasis recharger nearby. Kinesis range is only useful in a few spots and should be the last thing you upgrade. You should sell EVERYTHING you find except the ammo for your 2 main guns, and one or two medkits. Use the money to buy nodes to upgrade your stuff. The only things you should be buying from the store are nodes and suits. Ammo and medpacks are a dime a dozen.

Also, if you see a door that requires a power node to open, don't do it. All these rooms have inside is a bunch of ammo, which you shouldn't have any trouble finding elsewhere. It's not worth a node.

Finally, don't worry about dying too much. You'll almost always restart somewhere that's within 30 seconds of where you died.

dregan
Jan 16, 2005

I could transport you all into space if I wanted.

Kazanski posted:

Dead Space

Also, if you see a door that requires a power node to open, don't do it. All these rooms have inside is a bunch of ammo, which you shouldn't have any trouble finding elsewhere. It's not worth a node.

I disagree, the rooms always (I think with one exception) contain goodies as well as ammo, from health packs to semiconductors, and the resale value at the store of all the contents of the rooms is worth the cost of a node. So at the very least you'll be able to sell off what you find and still come out even.

Also, one of the node rooms contains a log for you to read!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jarl
Nov 8, 2007

So what if I'm not for the ever offended?
This has probably already come up, but what should I know before playing MASS EFFECT for the very first time?