Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megaman
May 8, 2004
I didn't read the thread BUT...

Zom Aur posted:

1) Doubt you even need that actually. Should work from scratch. Otherwise, aptitude install alsautils (Or alsa-utils, I forget), then run alsaconf as root.

2) You'd need hal and dbus for that. Should be installed by default I think.
E: Oh, and a filemanager that supports it, I guess. Thunar should be your best bet since you're already running XFCE (and it should already be installed).

For 1 alsa is installed and I see no alsaconf, alsa mixer shows volume is all the way up but I hear no sound.....interesting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:

Megaman posted:

For 1 alsa is installed and I see no alsaconf, alsa mixer shows volume is all the way up but I hear no sound.....interesting
Run a lspci and lsmod to see what stuff you got in and what you got modules loaded for. If we're lucky, it's just a module that isn't loaded.

Megaman
May 8, 2004

Zom Aur posted:

Run a lspci and lsmod to see what stuff you got in and what you got modules loaded for. If we're lucky, it's just a module that isn't loaded.

lscpi returns that my sound card is there, lsmod | grep -i snd returns the following, the same grep alsa returns nothing, is thta a problem?

snd_intel8x0 37532 0
snd_ac97_codec 111652 1 snd_intel8x0
ac97_bus 9856 1 snd_ac97_codec
snd_pcm_oss 46848 0
snd_mixer_oss 22784 1 snd_pcm_oss
snd_pcm 83204 3 snd_intel8x0,snd_ac97_codec,snd_pcm_oss
snd_seq_dummy 10884 0
snd_seq_oss 38528 0
snd_seq_midi 14336 0
snd_rawmidi 29824 1 snd_seq_midi
snd_seq_midi_event 15232 2 snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi
snd_seq 57776 6 snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi,snd_seq_midi_event
snd_timer 29960 2 snd_pcm,snd_seq
snd_seq_device 15116 5 snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq
snd 63268 10 snd_intel8x0,snd_ac97_codec,snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_oss,snd_pcm,snd_seq_oss,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq,snd_timer,snd_seq_device
soundcore 15328 1 snd
snd_page_alloc 16136 2 snd_intel8x0,snd_pcm

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

No, that looks pretty fine. Hmm. I think ubuntu and it's derivates ship with pulseaudio these days. It can cause some problems. Check the pulseaudio mixers with pavucontrol, and if that doesn't work you can try disabling it with /etc/init.d/pulseaudio stop

Megaman
May 8, 2004

Zom Aur posted:

No, that looks pretty fine. Hmm. I think ubuntu and it's derivates ship with pulseaudio these days. It can cause some problems. Check the pulseaudio mixers with pavucontrol, and if that doesn't work you can try disabling it with /etc/init.d/pulseaudio stop

Hmmm...disabling pulseaudio doesn't do anything either.

opened alsamixer, put everything to 100%. Also ran sudo amixer set Master 100% unmute and sudo amixer set PCM 100% unmute.

I get no sound, but when i put alsamixer master volume to 100% i get wicked feedback from my speakers. Good sign, but still no sound, anyone?

I also get system beeps through my speakers.

Something interesting, /etc/init.d/alsa-utils restart returns Invalid Card number.

Megaman fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Apr 5, 2009

capitalcomma
Sep 9, 2001

A grim bloody fable, with an unhappy bloody end.
I'm looking to start running a Linux portable computer again, but have a software problem: right now I'm using Live Mesh to synchronize all of my files across multiple computers, and handle Remote Desktop to them. It's an extremely powerful tool: I can synchronize unlimited amounts of data across all my computers, and 5 gigs on online storage space. It also does remote desktop to any machine on my Mesh, using https and RDP, at the push of a button.

The problem is it's Windows and Mac only. Is there a linux-compatible file sync solution out there that has those file-sync features? I can live without the remote desktop stuff as ssh-tunnels and vnc are a snap, but syncing at least 50 gigs of data is a must.

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

Sounder posted:

I'm looking to start running a Linux portable computer again, but have a software problem: right now I'm using Live Mesh to synchronize all of my files across multiple computers, and handle Remote Desktop to them. It's an extremely powerful tool: I can synchronize unlimited amounts of data across all my computers, and 5 gigs on online storage space. It also does remote desktop to any machine on my Mesh, using https and RDP, at the push of a button.

The problem is it's Windows and Mac only. Is there a linux-compatible file sync solution out there that has those file-sync features? I can live without the remote desktop stuff as ssh-tunnels and vnc are a snap, but syncing at least 50 gigs of data is a must.
DropBox. I use it and it's wonderful.

Magicmat
Aug 14, 2000

I've got the worst fucking attorneys

Mario posted:

sed ordinarily works on single lines, so it doesn't see newline characters at all, but you can use the N command to append the next line to the current one, including the newline.

try sed ':a;N;s/\n\([^\n]\)/ \1/g;ta'

:a is a label, N appends the next line, s/\n\([^n]\)/ \1/g replaces a newline with a space if it is not immediately followed by another newline, and finally ta jumps back to the start if it matched something.

code:
I'm trying
to use sed to
make a
text
file

Since all
paragraph breaks
use two newlines
in a
becomes:
code:
I'm trying to use sed to make a text file

Since all paragraph breaks use two newlines in a
OK, I think I've got you, but I have a few questions still. First, why the need for the label and to jump back to the start? I thought /g was supposed to make it global, so why the infinite loop?

Second, why the escaped parenthesis in the regex? i.e., \([^\n]\). I get the need to put the negated character class in parenthesis, to capture it in a numbered capture group, but why escaped? Won't that make it match a literal parenthesis character?

Excuse my dumb questions, but I'm largely ignorant about how sed works, and the documentation is pretty dense at times (and way too sparse at others.)

Mario
Oct 29, 2006
It's-a-me!

Magicmat posted:

OK, I think I've got you, but I have a few questions still. First, why the need for the label and to jump back to the start? I thought /g was supposed to make it global, so why the infinite loop?
g just means to keep looking for matches until the search space is exhausted (usually a single line, but in this case two or more lines stuck together using the loop) instead of stopping at the first match. It doesn't magically search the entire input file. E: looking back, it probably isn't needed in this case, but it shouldn't harm anything; I guess I included it out of habit.

Magicmat posted:

Second, why the escaped parenthesis in the regex? i.e., \([^\n]\). I get the need to put the negated character class in parenthesis, to capture it in a numbered capture group, but why escaped? Won't that make it match a literal parenthesis character?
Quite simply, it didn't work without escaping them:
code:
$ cat sedtest | sed ':a;N;s/\n([^\n])/ \1/g;ta'
sed: -e expression #1, char 23: invalid reference \1 on `s' command's RHS
I'm still learning too, so any suggestions are welcome.

Mario fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Apr 5, 2009

Mr. Eric Praline
Aug 13, 2004
I didn't like the others, they were all too flat.
I got bored the other day and switched my laptop over to Ubuntu Jaunty. It's been quite a while since I used a desktop Linux as my primary OS. RH 9 was the last time I was purely using Linux.

So here's the issues I've got:

* What's the current favorite photo manager? Jaunty's default F-Spot kind of sucks, and it seems to down-size everything I import from my camera when it copies them to the hard drive.

* I'm sure it's been asked earlier, but which Jukebox app handles an Ipod the best?

* Is there anything I can do with an RDP client to get it to display 32-bit color from the client? Every client I connect to says it won't support 24-bit color, and falls back to 16. When I specify "rdesktop -a 32", it falls back to 16 without the error.

capitalcomma
Sep 9, 2001

-snip-

capitalcomma fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Jun 10, 2014

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

Rsync is probably what you want, though I dunno if it works in a win32/linux environment.

Mr. Eric Praline
Aug 13, 2004

Zom Aur posted:

Rsync is probably what you want, though I dunno if it works in a win32/linux environment.
There are windows builds of rsync. Both cygwin and standalone.

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

Sounder posted:

Thanks for the reply. I used Dropbox a few months ago before I discovered Live Mesh, and while I liked its simplicity, it was missing one feature that I have come to depend on: Dropbox will only let you sync 2 gigs of files between computers.

Live Mesh lets you sync files computer-to-computer, without using any of your online storage. So while i can only sync 5 gigs of documents and crap to online storage, I can still sync all the files I want computer to computer, since they aren't also being synced to online storage.

Has dropbox added this feature recently?
Not for free, no, but for $9/mo, you can get 50gigs (+512mb for each referrer up to 6gb).

capitalcomma
Sep 9, 2001

-snip-

capitalcomma fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Jun 10, 2014

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

Sounder posted:

So while i can only sync 5 gigs of documents and crap to online storage, I can still sync all the files I want computer to computer, since they aren't also being synced to online storage.

Mount your computers using SSH/something similar.

chryst posted:

What's the current favorite photo manager? Jaunty's default F-Spot kind of sucks, and it seems to down-size everything I import from my camera when it copies them to the hard drive.

F-Spot doesn't downsize, but yeah, it is written in Mono.

Mr. Eric Praline
Aug 13, 2004

Keito posted:

F-Spot doesn't downsize, but yeah, it is written in Mono.
That's weird then. Cause when I plug in my card, it generates a bunch of thumbnails, and copies them to the folder I tell it to. But all the copies are less than 1/4 of the original size. I verified it wasn't just the F-spot viewer by opening them in GIMP.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

Sounder posted:

as was mentioned earlier, rsync also works in Windows. My one irk with it was that it wasn't automated: anytime I want to sync the folders I would have to manually execute a script. File synchronization apps like Dropbox and Live Mesh eliminate all that and make the sync instant and transparent.

oh well, I suppose it's still an adequate solution.

Cwrsync is aways what I use for this purpose if I need to rsync from a windows machine. It's a standalone windpows installer that runs as a service so I can sync files from a win32 machine (in my case for backups). Assuming your sync is in one direction, this will work nicely and should be very fast after the initial sync, especially with rsync 3.x. If you need to sync in both directions (files being changed on both sides) rsync won't work.

Keito posted:

I don't know what this means, but rsync can operate over SSH to encrypt the traffic, as opposed to its built in protocol which runs unencrypted on TCP/873.

capitalcomma
Sep 9, 2001

falz posted:

Cwrsync is aways what I use for this purpose if I need to rsync from a windows machine. It's a standalone windpows installer that runs as a service so I can sync files from a win32 machine (in my case for backups). Assuming your sync is in one direction, this will work nicely and should be very fast after the initial sync, especially with rsync 3.x. If you need to sync in both directions (files being changed on both sides) rsync won't work.

To sync bi-directionally with rsync you just need to run a script that will sync computer A to B and then B to A. The trick is knowing which computer to sync first.

And what's the difference between running cwrsync and the default rsync package in cygwin as a service? I've used the latter before and it seemed to run fine.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

Sounder posted:

And what's the difference between running cwrsync and the default rsync package in cygwin as a service? I've used the latter before and it seemed to run fine.
The only difference is that Cwrsync comes with a few cygwin dll's to make it its own stand alone app if you don't have/need the full cygwin environment installed. It also gives you an option to install as a windows service.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

Sounder posted:

as was mentioned earlier, rsync also works in Windows. My one irk with it was that it wasn't automated: anytime I want to sync the folders I would have to manually execute a script. File synchronization apps like Dropbox and Live Mesh eliminate all that and make the sync instant and transparent.

oh well, I suppose it's still an adequate solution.
Well, in linux you could just add it in your crontab to have it do so automatically. I think you should be able to do something similar on windows.

capitalcomma
Sep 9, 2001

Zom Aur posted:

Well, in linux you could just add it in your crontab to have it do so automatically. I think you should be able to do something similar on windows.

You're right...

say...

is there an app that will monitor a folder for file changes? If so I could script rsync to run whenever a file is modified in a given watched folder. That would be beautiful...

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
Can some one suggest a quick backup solution?

I have a hard disk that I plug in (as frequently as I can remember to) to make backups. I just use rdiff-backup, which is theoretically doing an incremental backup.

This works fine, but my one big complaint is how slow it is. A 200gb partition, for example, seems to take hours. And that is with maybe 20-30gb of "fresh data", the rest has not changed. I guess it has to hash every single file no matter what and compare it to the current backup? I wonder if deleting the old backup and just copying all the data again would be just as fast?

Would it be worth it to get an esata port/enclosure? Right now I just use an sata to usb adaptor.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

Kaluza-Klein posted:

Can some one suggest a quick backup solution?

I have a hard disk that I plug in (as frequently as I can remember to) to make backups. I just use rdiff-backup, which is theoretically doing an incremental backup.

This works fine, but my one big complaint is how slow it is. A 200gb partition, for example, seems to take hours. And that is with maybe 20-30gb of "fresh data", the rest has not changed. I guess it has to hash every single file no matter what and compare it to the current backup? I wonder if deleting the old backup and just copying all the data again would be just as fast?

Would it be worth it to get an esata port/enclosure? Right now I just use an sata to usb adaptor.
I think you should take a look at rsync first. If you haven't used it before, read the manpage, but the basics are:
rsync -av target/ /media/device
To take a backup of the contents in 'target' into the folder 'device'.
rsync -av /media/device/ target
To copy everything in the folder 'device' into the folder 'target'.

Note the /'es though.

You can also add --progress to show progress, which is always nice. :)

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

rdiff-backup uses rsync.

What filesystem is the external drive? The incremental backup scheme I've seen uses hard links to link to unchanged files and I don't think they're supported with FAT32.

Gambit32
Feb 16, 2003

M'sweet, I never gamble... I win. At everything.
Got a quick solaris question, so I'm hoping theres enough crossover knowledge someone here might know:

I need to get a list of users with non-expiring passwords on a Solaris 8 system. This is easy enough in linux and aix, but I've got no solaris experience, but Ive been tasked with finding a way to do this regardless.

Anyone have a hint they can offer?

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Lucien posted:

code:
# mkdir /mnt/windows
# mount -t smbfs -o username=myusername,password=mypassword //host/share /mnt/windows

In regards to trying to mount a network shared folder from the command line...Either I am messing something up, or this is not working for me. I can browse the folder just fine using Ubuntu GUI, but I still would like to be able to view/manipulate it from the command line. When I tried the following command, all it did was spit out a version of manual of "mount". The computer is named jim_comp, the folder is named jim_share and you dont need a username or password to access it.

I tried the following and it gave me a short manual for mount:
code:
mkdir /mnt/windows
mount -t smbfs -o //jim_comp/jim_share /mnt/windows
Where am I going wrong?

Lucien
May 2, 2007

check it out i'm a samurai ^_^

Hughmoris posted:

Where am I going wrong?
The -o is for options, but you're not giving any. Try this:
code:
# mount -t smbfs //jim_comp/jim_share /mnt/windows

Mr. Eric Praline
Aug 13, 2004

Gambit32 posted:

Got a quick solaris question, so I'm hoping theres enough crossover knowledge someone here might know:

I need to get a list of users with non-expiring passwords on a Solaris 8 system. This is easy enough in linux and aix, but I've got no solaris experience, but Ive been tasked with finding a way to do this regardless.

Anyone have a hint they can offer?

Don't recall the syntax offhand, but look in /etc/default/passwd and /etc/default/security. The settings are pretty obvious in those files.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

sund posted:

rdiff-backup uses rsync.

What filesystem is the external drive? The incremental backup scheme I've seen uses hard links to link to unchanged files and I don't think they're supported with FAT32.

The external drive is ext3.

What do you mean incremental backup scheme? rdiff-backup is incremental by default, no?

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

Kaluza-Klein posted:

The external drive is ext3.

What do you mean incremental backup scheme? rdiff-backup is incremental by default, no?

Sure, the only thing I'm familiar with is a straight rsync method for use on the DNS-323 NAS device (http://forum.dsmg600.info/t2125-DNS-323-Rsync-Time-Machine!.html) and it handles incremental backups by using hard links... each dated folder looks like a whole new directory tree. I was just checking that the filesystem supported hard links figuring that rdiff-backup would use a similar method.

So in other words I'm out of ideas.

Catch 22
Dec 1, 2003
Damn it, Damn it, Damn it!
---background
Well Linux and I are doing our dance again. To keep things simple, I just need some help with Apache 2.2. (please note I am no Linux expert, I manage to stumble through every install coming out on top after DAYS of dicking around with it)

Running CentOS 5 2.6.18-92.el5, and did a normal yum install of httpd and httpd-devel. The devel is the devil here. According to this tracker, http://bugs.centos.org/view.php?id=2934 the apxs is all fuckered.

I just need to install SCGI, and the install should be routine, but fails with:
code:
cannot open /httpd/build/config_vars.mk: No such file or directory at /usr/sbin/apxs line 201.
I already fixed the issue with SCGI's jacked premade Makefile calling to apxs2. And now I just need a correct working RPM for httpd-devel. I found a older version, but as normal Linux users know it needs to match my httpd version as well.

I yum installed httpd to start with, so I yum removed it to tried a archived version from Apache site yet it has all kinds of dependacys.

---issue
Please tell me how to install httpd and httpd-devel pre-2.2.3-22 from yum as I don't have the brain power to slap this together from sources. This is day 3 of trying to install a simple loving mod into my web server.

covener
Jan 10, 2004

You know, for kids!

Catch 22 posted:

I just need to install SCGI, and the install should be routine, but fails with:
[code]cannot open /httpd/build/config_vars.mk: No such file or directory at

have you tried to teach apxs to find your config_vars.mk and verified that all the paths/libs in config_vars.mk are sane?

your immedaite breakage is just that $installbuilddir in apxs still has remnants of the output dir of the build instead of the installation path

Catch 22
Dec 1, 2003

covener posted:

have you tried to teach apxs to find your config_vars.mk and verified that all the paths/libs in config_vars.mk are sane?

your immedaite breakage is just that $installbuilddir in apxs still has remnants of the output dir of the build instead of the installation path
edit: ok, i think I get were this is going. I do know that that path (/httpd/build/config_vars.mk) is not there, but I don't know were config_vars.mk is. Find, is not pulling it up. As for teaching apxs were to find it, it lists line 201, but I cannot edit apxs in vim, so were to I configure the path for apxs?

edit2: arruaahh. I hate that you are making me work through this. Found the config_vars.mk. and pulled up apxs correctly, went to line 201 but I have no clue what any of this means. There is no path here.
code:
198# sub get_config_vars{
199#    my ($file, $rh_config) = @_;
200#
201#    open IN, $file or die "cannot open $file: $!";
202#    while (<IN>){
203#        if (/^\s*(.*?)\s*=\s*(.*)$/){
204#            $rh_config->{$1} = $2;
205#        }
206#    }
207#    close IN;
208# }

Catch 22 fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Apr 7, 2009

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables
Anyone know if the b43 wireless drivers will ever support interference mitigation? I couldn't understand why my wireless kept cutting out randomly and after some massive googling I found out the open drivers don't support dealing with interference at ALL, which is pretty terrible for anybody that doesn't live on a farm.

I don't get why Ubuntu defaults to b43 and b44 for Broadcom chipsets with such a massive feature being totally absent.

Spent some time setting up good old ndiswrapper and the connection is much more stable, but I randomly have to take down the wireless interface and put it back up again because the driver will decide it hates me and stop working.

Grigori Rasputin
Aug 21, 2000
WE DON'T NEED ROME TELLING US WHAT TO DO
I installed mailutils, but the mail command won't send test mails to my gmail account. Is there some kind of additional configuration I'm overlooking?

Thanks!

covener
Jan 10, 2004

You know, for kids!

Catch 22 posted:

edit: ok, i think I get were this is going. I do know that that path (/httpd/build/config_vars.mk) is not there, but I don't know were config_vars.mk is. Find, is not pulling it up. As for teaching apxs were to find it, it lists line 201, but I cannot edit apxs in vim, so were to I configure the path for apxs?

I assumed your first issue was much earlier on if you're not getting to config_vars.mk

code:
 35 my $libdir = `pkg-config --variable=libdir apr-1`;

38 my $installbuilddir = $libdir . "/httpd/build";
 40 get_config_vars("$installbuilddir/config_vars.mk",\%config_vars);

Catch 22
Dec 1, 2003

covener posted:

I assumed your first issue was much earlier on if you're not getting to config_vars.mk
[/code]
Its fine, I setup a repo for the centos-testing, and updated httpd and devel as the article notes, as it fixes this. Yet I still get the same error, then I managed to find a mod_scgi.so RPM to use directly. Httpd started working again without error, but the application that this whole loving fiasco was over, still does not work.
Once again, I have been set off on a "Linux dependency" goose chase, and end up with no results.
God drat you Linux. God-drat-you.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
Anyone know their way around RANCID? I have it up and running, but there are some boxes where it's picking up various stuff in the config which is actually meaningless but changes daily, resulting in me getting some unnecessary emails.

Anyone know how I get it to skip certain lines? They all start with the same string of text which should hopefully make it simpler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catch 22
Dec 1, 2003
Last try, can someone point me to a guide to install rtorrent and any webfront end? I have searched high and low and they are all incomplete. I always get stuck on something. Complieling XMLRPC-C never works correctly (as far as I can tell, although I can make install it) or SCGI will not install due to the errors with apxs (see other post) and even if I do frankanstine this POS with other RPMs on the interweb, the drat webgui never ties into rtorrent. rTWi or rtgui would be nice, but I will take anything at this point.