Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cat Fancier
Dec 3, 2006

Cat Fancier fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Feb 16, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

Depending on how dedicated you are and how many rich orgmates and high level teams and such you can get, you could probably get to 220 in a couple weeks. I've seen people go 1-150 in a weekend of poopsocking, 150-200 in another few days, and 200-220 in a week or so after that, though they've been unemployed at the time and were extremely proactive about being in a team every second of every day just about. There are a few other times when you'd be able to PVP pretty well, though it's expensive to fund and you'd probably wind up having to buy a lot of credits to be good.

Really, if PVP is your main thing, I'd probably stay away from AO. It's ok, but it's really secondary to the PVE in many ways, and there's not too much variety at high levels - you have huge zerg tower rushes, duels with other twinks, and the one battle station map. It's a great game in many ways, but the PVP isn't the greatest.

RhawnJ
Aug 24, 2001
Grissled Old Man
I had so much fun playing this game many years ago. Awesome to see it still going after all this time. The complexity made it awesome.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo
For a first character in AO, I'd say 2-3 months might be realistic estimate to hit 220. But considering you aren't going to find groups, I'll say 4-5 months (plus a few month break when you get few up of lft). Unless you have a char that can effectively solo AI raids in your orgs city, there's no fast ticket to cash either so it'd take some time to get a char equipped for pvp.

Got my engy to 207 yesterday and I'm pretty annoyed about how rare even the inf teams are now. There are literally no 220's lft for inf these days and only times teams seem to form is when someone dual logs their 220 for the missions.

Cat Fancier
Dec 3, 2006

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

Maybe, I play on some random hours because of other rl schedule at the moment. However, I've been in inf since level 160 and on the way to 207, I've not gotten one group without a 220 dual log yet.

How active is GoonCorp these days by the way? I've been thinking of maybe looking for another org because most of the old crew from mine are now long gone, and I don't much like the new leadership. GC got any cooperation and chatbots with other orgs?

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
There was Roflbot about a year ago. Not sure if its still there. There was a small goon corp also, Syndicate? Might not be the name. Been awhile lol

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

Tai posted:

There was Roflbot about a year ago. Not sure if its still there. There was a small goon corp also, Syndicate? Might not be the name. Been awhile lol

Roflbot is still around, and Gooncorp still exists, though we're pretty small. I know quite a few of us are in circle of notum, so we could probably get you in there easily enough if anyone wants to join a bigger org.

Syndicate was a non-goon org that we merged with like 4 years ago when AI came out to get a city or something, thus leading to SynCorp. It's still the same org, we just changed it back to GoonCorp since there haven't been any Syndicate people around for 3 years or so :)

BloodThirster
Jan 8, 2001
Just started up again as a 47 Fixer and having fun, Fixer is very fun class, don't know why I never gave the class a shot before. Only problem I'm having is getting my hands on a decent weapon. Everything I've read tells me to get a Perennium Beamer, but I don't have the funds to pay 5m for one, or to farm the materials to get one crafted. You guys have any advice or do I have to just muscle through it? I have a pretty high QL gun from blitzing missions but they just don't seem to be cutting it.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

BloodThirster posted:

Just started up again as a 47 Fixer and having fun, Fixer is very fun class, don't know why I never gave the class a shot before. Only problem I'm having is getting my hands on a decent weapon. Everything I've read tells me to get a Perennium Beamer, but I don't have the funds to pay 5m for one, or to farm the materials to get one crafted. You guys have any advice or do I have to just muscle through it? I have a pretty high QL gun from blitzing missions but they just don't seem to be cutting it.

What's your chars name ingame? I just made a crapload of pers and sold them off but I think I still got some muzzles left to make low 100's per beamer. I'll toss you a tell when I can log to check what I have.

BloodThirster
Jan 8, 2001

Candida albicans posted:

What's your chars name ingame? I just made a crapload of pers and sold them off but I think I still got some muzzles left to make low 100's per beamer. I'll toss you a tell when I can log to check what I have.

That'd be great, name is Grufflerump in game. I should be on tomorrow a bit. Much appreciated!

Cat Fancier
Dec 3, 2006

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

Huh, that's some cool stuff in the new patch. I'll have to check that out.

EDGECRUSHER
Feb 28, 2001

Captain Schlork posted:

Oh god oh god can't wait to get to test out the perk reset NPC! I'll finally have an excuse to do some big time twinking.

Perk reset NPC?

Cat Fancier
Dec 3, 2006

Cat Fancier fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Feb 16, 2018

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

Captain Schlork posted:

An NPC on Jobe platform that lets you do a full perk reset at once with a 48 hour lockout (iirc). Haven't checked it out yet myself, but from what people are talking on the forums, if you don't want to wait the 2 days to get a new reset to get your original perks back, you can pay 20mil to do another reset sooner.

Perk-Reset Service Provider: Hi there.
Tankbear: I just had a full perk reset... but I want another one... right now!
Perk-Reset Service Provider: Perhaps I'd be willing to bend the rules a little... if you were willing to make a contribution to my retirement fund... or just give me a lot of credits... either option would work. Let's say 20 million... take it or leave it.

Yep, full perk reset once every 2 days, more often if you're loaded. Glad they finally added that! In combination with the new symbs and other stuff, plus a new full IPR, I think doing QL 300 symbiants won't actually be too horrible!

Tyshalob
Apr 10, 2008

om nom nom i eat ur town

Found this gem.

I kind of liked the old interface and character creation. Why'd they change that?

Cat Fancier
Dec 3, 2006

Tyshalob posted:

Found this gem.

I kind of liked the old interface and character creation. Why'd they change that?

I think I like the current system more, and I bet we can expect another overhaul for the new engine, since they're redoing face and body models. I'm hoping they at least revamp those profession 'statues' or whatever they are, and let us zoom around the character and rotate it.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

If they do redesign UI again, I hope they will aim for either a lot more minimalistic style than current or make it moddable. I've hated the current bloated one with passion ever since I first saw it. Original wasn't great either but it was better. Current UI doesn't even let us move nearly all the pieces around, that is so 1990's.

Cat Fancier
Dec 3, 2006
(Broken links)

Tyshalob
Apr 10, 2008

om nom nom i eat ur town

Roflbot is being kind of retarded and not actually inviting me into the private channel for some reason. It says that it is, but there's no confirmation window popping up asking me which window I want it to go to.

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

Tyshalob posted:

Roflbot is being kind of retarded and not actually inviting me into the private channel for some reason. It says that it is, but there's no confirmation window popping up asking me which window I want it to go to.

If it's acting up you might just need to go and subscribe to the channel manually. Send the tell about joining first, then right click the window and go to subscribe groups -> private channels -> Roflbot, and hopefully that will work.

On another note, I finally finished playing through all the Legacy of the Xan content, and I'm pretty happy with it. The Arid Rift questline is long and tedious, but there fortunately aren't too many bottlenecks and you get insane amounts of axp from it (went from a quarter of the way to 19 to 90% of the way to 20, and finished a level 9 research in the process). I was able to solo a lot of it as a 220 doc, and it wasn't too hard to just follow other teams around for some of the other stuff. The dust brigade ones are probably a bit harder individually, but the whole line takes maybe a quarter of the time the alien one does. Arid Rift contains a lot more plot development about the xan and the Kyr'Ozch, so that part is cool, and ultimately you get to find out a bit of what's going on with the dust brigade too.

The three boss instances are pretty neat and should present a good challenge. I did the alien one (aka Mitaar Hero) about 4 times and got a few of the implant parts and a couple empty NCU modules, then did Vortexx and moved on to the 12-man instance. The 12-man is pretty cool as the boss mind-controls some of your party members causing them to attack you, or you to attack them. The fights also make use of some other new mechanics, like fear effects and stuff.

It's probably not worth picking up the expansion unless you're over 210 or so, but if you are it should provide some decent fun and some great loot. The symbiant upgrades are sweet, and the new NCUs do some pretty cool stuff too, like +5 to all nanoskills/attributes, +192 NCU, or +6 to one weapon skill. There's also an upgrade that lets you combine your profession star with your nanodeck, weapon upgrades for the Lord/Lady weapons The Beast drops, a thing to combine the de'valos protection rings and HHAB (eliminating the need to wear pen glasses and inf boots), and upgrades to the Maar belts (bumps them from +50 to +80 or something) and the APF belt (adds +35 str/stam in addition to the rest).

Tyshalob
Apr 10, 2008

om nom nom i eat ur town

Vidmaster posted:

If it's acting up you might just need to go and subscribe to the channel manually. Send the tell about joining first, then right click the window and go to subscribe groups -> private channels -> Roflbot, and hopefully that will work.

When I don't get the confirmation popup asking where I want to send Roflbot it doesn't appear as an option under private channels. In fact if I try to leave Roflbot it says I'm not even in the channel.

Nasty Kerm
Oct 28, 2008

by Tiny Fistpump
I recall there being a big controversy some years back, about some players building a city and it being destroyed by other players and Funcom rebuilt it or something similar. I remember people were furious and folks got banned left and right.

I'm not sure if I should reactivate my subscription, or go with the free one. If you chose the free ones, can I play with you guys, or is there some type of penalty? What would you recommend?

(thanks Tyshalob, for linking to this thread)

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

Nasty Kerm posted:

I recall there being a big controversy some years back, about some players building a city and it being destroyed by other players and Funcom rebuilt it or something similar. I remember people were furious and folks got banned left and right.

I'm not sure if I should reactivate my subscription, or go with the free one. If you chose the free ones, can I play with you guys, or is there some type of penalty? What would you recommend?

(thanks Tyshalob, for linking to this thread)

If you do the free ones you can play with us, but you can't go to the shadowlands or anything like that. If you had a really old subscription from pre-SL/AI days, you might be able to reactivate for free, as all non-expansion accounts went free when they started that deal (as far as I know at least). If you feel like paying again, then the paid sub is the way to go as SL adds a ton. The game's probably changed a lot though, so you might start free, then reactivate your old characters if you want.

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

"Muerte, buen compinche. Muerte."
I think I might give this yet another try and dust off the old retarded trox Engineer i got. Or maybe i will make a new guy!

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

ElBrak posted:

I think I might give this yet another try and dust off the old retarded trox Engineer i got. Or maybe i will make a new guy!

Neat, it'd be fun to have you back! I'm kind of rolling in credits now on my doctor since I've gotten a shitload of valuable stuff from the Xan area, so if you (or anyone else new/returning) need a few million creds I'd be happy to throw it your way.

BobOfDoom
May 24, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I'd be interested in playing a Doctor, but I'm not sure I want to bang my head against the keyboard trying to learn effective playing. Are there any articles/guides/collections of tips for me to read over to speed that process along?

Tyshalob
Apr 10, 2008

om nom nom i eat ur town

BobOfDoom posted:

I'd be interested in playing a Doctor, but I'm not sure I want to bang my head against the keyboard trying to learn effective playing. Are there any articles/guides/collections of tips for me to read over to speed that process along?

You can try reading the Doctor profession forum. How useful/helpful it will be is kind of up in the air. Most of the profession forums are full of bitter vets bitching about why their profession isn't the uberest at the terrible PvP Anarchy Online offers and other assorted complaints about end game matters.

Tyshalob fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Apr 15, 2009

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

BobOfDoom posted:

My doctor is loving awesome and I am e-pals with several other really good docs, so I can help!

Basaically when you're playing a doc, you should determine what you want your priority to be - are you going to be a loving awesome healer who does crappy damage, or are you going to be a lovely healer who does mediocre damage? If you're leaning toward the lattter, don't play a doc, roll an advy or MA because that way you can at least be an ok healer who does pretty good damage.

If you want to be a loving awesome healer, here's what you do:
Raise BM/MM, nano init, and nano pool EVERY LEVEL. I don't care if you're title capped, do it anyway through better equipment or whatever. Get the best god drat heals you can because that is your job.
Second, get the best god drat init debuff you can and raise the skills needed to cast it (I think BM/MM and TS? I forget, but they all use the same skills). Cast it on things, and keep them debuffed so they do less damage. Less damage = less healing you have to do = happier more alive team, and more relaxed doc for when your retarded teammates inevitably run into a huge mass of guys and get 500 adds.

When it actually comes to doing damage, just save that for later. I don't think my doc even used a weapon until level 140 or something. I had the stupid doc chalice from ToTW, and I could keep a team of 5 people alive through anything, so I just let them be my weapons. At high levels you'll get cool DoT nanos and you can equip a bunch of different weapon types so you can start pumping out pretty good damage.

Ryen Deckard
Jun 28, 2008

My blood is red, white, and blue.
Holy poo poo good to see this thread is still going.
I just started playing again as Ryendekard, you might have seen me asking a poo poo load of questions in roflbot and trying to get an invite to gooncorp over the past 3 days.

Any suggestions for a level 16 soldier? I just upgraded to SL+AI and I'm stuck using a QL 5 Div9 since I can't find a good upgrade, and clicksaver just can't seem to find a new div9 (I've tried over 500 times now)

February
Jan 27, 2006
WE DO NOT ACCEPT PAYPAL

Ryen Deckard posted:

I just started playing again as Ryendekard, you might have seen me asking a poo poo load of questions in roflbot and trying to get an invite to gooncorp over the past 3 days.

Any suggestions for a level 16 soldier? I just upgraded to SL+AI and I'm stuck using a QL 5 Div9 since I can't find a good upgrade, and clicksaver just can't seem to find a new div9 (I've tried over 500 times now)

You can't get div9's from mission rewards, sadly they're boss loot only. Check out the official soldier forums for tips on what weapons to use. I haven't played in a while but usually around level 25 I'd equip my soldier with a ql50 perennium blaster, hopefully some kind goon could sort you out with one. I would if I had the game installed!

Tyshalob
Apr 10, 2008

om nom nom i eat ur town

Ryen Deckard posted:

February is correct. You should go about getting yourself a Perennium Blaster around level 25, and I guess you don't even have to deviate from that gun for the rest of the game. Just keep making/buying higher quality level versions of it. Of course the soldier guide is a bit outdated now so take that with a grain of salt.

edit: heh for some reason I read 16 as 26. There really isn't much for a Soldier to use before level 25. Mostly just junk mission rewards or the odd assault rifle or whatever in a basic shop.

Tyshalob fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Apr 15, 2009

Ryen Deckard
Jun 28, 2008

February posted:

You can't get div9's from mission rewards, sadly they're boss loot only. Check out the official soldier forums for tips on what weapons to use. I haven't played in a while but usually around level 25 I'd equip my soldier with a ql50 perennium blaster, hopefully some kind goon could sort you out with one. I would if I had the game installed!

Well hell, I thought I remember getting a div 9 off a mission reward a while ago, guess not. But I'm pretty new, so how would I be able to twink my character enough at 25 to be able to use a QL 50 blaster?

Tyshalob
Apr 10, 2008

om nom nom i eat ur town

Implants, buffs and perks mostly. Ql50 Blaster and its requirements.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

Don't get perennium blaster that early Ryen, there's a very viable free alternative in Neutrino Flash from Steps of Madness. It's very easy to get from that notum.. somethingsomething in the small sidecave near Jealousy). It's very nice at low levels and will easily last you a few levels. You'll need a hand to get it though, I'd help but my account closes today and I'm off to Vanguard but I'm sure someone here will do it.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

Vidmaster posted:

When it actually comes to doing damage, just save that for later. I don't think my doc even used a weapon until level 140 or something. I had the stupid doc chalice from ToTW, and I could keep a team of 5 people alive through anything, so I just let them be my weapons. At high levels you'll get cool DoT nanos and you can equip a bunch of different weapon types so you can start pumping out pretty good damage.

This depends... with expansions you can still get away with it, but if you're stuck in RK, I'd advise getting something on that you can beat mobs with (CDRs are a great idea here and will last a good while) because teams aren't always that easy to find in RK, even for a doc.

Cat Fancier
Dec 3, 2006

Floob
Jan 28, 2005

See you on Rubi-Ka

Captain Schlork posted:

Heads up newgoons!
I need a Juggler's Treat. It's a Multi Melee / Multi Ranged buff ring that drops from Abmouth Supremus, the end boss of the Condemned Subway that every new character inevitably enters. I can't be arsed to roll a new character to do it myself, so here is your chance to earn two (2) million credits at the very start of your game.

Send a /tell to Mirura once you have the ring.

That boss is a nightmare! They made him oversized for the area he's in, so his pathing is more like teleporting and he hits like a semi! I soloed him once with an engineer because I was able to get buffed into a huge pet to kick his rear end with, but even that was tricky. About half way through the fight he decided to focus on me and I had to run way back into the sewer area to break his focus.

I'm starting a new bureaucrat tonight on my free account and I'll make sure I make a good solid attempt to take him down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ryen Deckard
Jun 28, 2008

I'm in, I have class until about 9, but after that I'll be online. I have a 20 soldier named RyenDekard right now, so just message me whenever.

• Locked thread