Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flirty dental hygienist
Jul 24, 2007

All aboard the knuckle train to FIST PLANET!!

attackmole posted:

Where do I start with the Melvins? I picked up Sieg Howdy just for the hell of it near a year ago now, and I really dug that one, but with 19 studio albums that apparently are crazy varied and all good I really don't have any idea where to move on from there.

Houdini is really easy to get into, it came out during the whole grunge explosion and has some of the less abrasive songs. Stoner Witch is another album that is a pretty easy listen. Not sure where to go from there since those are the only two albums I own of theirs. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Postman
May 12, 2007

Any album I should start with for Mustard Plug?

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

The Postman posted:

Any album I should start with for Mustard Plug?

Evildoers Beware

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
I ain't did nothin' to 'em
but count this money
and put my team on
got my whole clique stunnin'
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh

Polegrinder posted:

Houdini is really easy to get into, it came out during the whole grunge explosion and has some of the less abrasive songs. Stoner Witch is another album that is a pretty easy listen. Not sure where to go from there since those are the only two albums I own of theirs. :(
comedy option: Colossus of Destiny

Freezer_Burn
Aug 15, 2008
What album would be a good place to start with Type O Negative?

Freezer_Burn fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Mar 21, 2009

flirty dental hygienist
Jul 24, 2007

Freezer_Burn posted:

What album would be a good place to start with Type O Negative?

I like October Rust and Bloody Kisses. Those are probably the two easiest listens and have most of their hits.

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood
Where do I start with PJ Harvey and Garbage?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Skilleddk posted:

For Garbage, start with their best of, Absolute Garbage. If that's not enough, go in chronological order.

redphoenix11
May 9, 2007

Skilleddk posted:

I'd go with To Bring You My Love as it's got a good balance between her more abrasive early work and softer later work. It's also probably the most consistent album she's done.

Pappyland
Jun 17, 2004

There's no limit to your imagination!
College Slice
Where should I go for similar music to glam after having binged through Bowie, T. Rex and Roxy Music?

flirty dental hygienist
Jul 24, 2007

pipian posted:

Where should I go for similar music to glam after having binged through Bowie, T. Rex and Roxy Music?

Brian Eno - Here Come the Warm Jets

EDIT - Crap, can't believe I forgot about Slade and Mott the Hoople :(

flirty dental hygienist fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Mar 30, 2009

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

pipian posted:

Honestly, you hit on the key players from that movement. Anything else would just be pale imitations of that. You might find the Lou Reed stuff he did tasty, although the glam reference might not be as obvious than say Bowie's glam material. Alice Cooper's early work plays with the glam idea a lot, but with a "creepy" twist. However, his tongue is still firmly in planted in someone's cheek.

If you're looking for modern (or at least more recent) artists faithful to the Glam Church, then you might check out some of these:

Bauhaus ... The influences are there, (see covers of "Telegram Sam" and "Ziggy Stardust") just skewed with some post-punk aesthetic. Ignore their connection to "Goth" and check out tracks like "Spirit", "The Passion of Lovers", "Sanity Assassin", or "Slice of Life."

Placebo ... a friend in need is a friend indeed, a friend with weed is better. Placebo provides the androgyny, gender loving, and excess in one quaint brit-pop package. They have a lot of albums (plus the requisite bonus disc of covers featuring "20th Century Boy"), and mostly remain under the radar. The sound might be the closest to what you seek, however.

Other artists, (and this is just pure wiki'ing here) ... Blondie, Suede, Soft Cell (at least go check out "Sex Dwarf").

kundalini rinsing
Jun 3, 2007

sideburns posted:

where should i start with Jamiroquai?

Travelling Without Moving probably has the most good songs overall but Synkronized was their most popular and has Canned Heat on it so both are probably a good choice. every studio album they put out is seriously hit and miss though, and actually I just found out that they did release a Greatest Hits album called High Times so get that instead if you just want a bunch of their good songs

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood
I'm into instrumental hip hop a bit, and heard some stuff by MF Doom that I liked, though I don't remember the song names. Which of his albums is most "instrumental", like RJD2 or so?

CharlesWillisMaddox
Jun 6, 2007

by angerbeet

Skilleddk posted:

I'm into instrumental hip hop a bit, and heard some stuff by MF Doom that I liked, though I don't remember the song names. Which of his albums is most "instrumental", like RJD2 or so?

His Special Herb volumes are all great.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...
I'm sure it's been asked before, but we all miss the search option. Where do I start with Mastodon? And also, what should I expect, what are they like?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Revol posted:

I'm sure it's been asked before, but we all miss the search option. Where do I start with Mastodon? And also, what should I expect, what are they like?

Start with Leviathan, which sounds like this.

insomne
Nov 26, 2007

unrestrained rhythms.
Where do I start with Shonen Knife?

huskermat
Nov 16, 2006

Ghost on the Highway

insomne posted:

Where do I start with Shonen Knife?

I started chronologically with their first three albums; Burning Farm, Yama-no Attchan and Pretty Little Baka Guy/Live in Japan. Out of those three I think Yama-no Attchan is the strongest.

If you like those albums then you can move to their more recent stuff, I don't have any recommendations for those because I haven't heard the newer stuff in a while.

Self Important
Mar 1, 2008
This one's kinda big, but where do I start with hip hop that isn't all "bitches and money"?

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.

pipian posted:

I'll strongly second Suede: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uif3274L3wk

Personally I think "Dog Man Star" is their best album, it's basically what happens when you give a self-obsessed androgynous Bowie fanatic lots of money, recording time and drugs. Many would prefer their self-titled debut, check them both out as they're both pretty glammy and IMHO feature some of the better lyrics and guitar work from '90s britpop.

You can probably ignore everything they did after those two albums though (if you like them the B-sides set is worth checking out, I guess).

Bubble-T fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Apr 6, 2009

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Self Important posted:

This one's kinda big, but where do I start with hip hop that isn't all "bitches and money"?

Eh, that's sorta easy. Just look for any of the stuff favored "backpacker hip-hop" set. I'm not even remotely in touch with the subject, but I can ding off the following for you to seek.

Del the Funky Homosapien - Deltron 3030
Cannibal Ox - Cold Vein
Aesop Rock - Labor Days
Dead Prez - Let's Get Free

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire

Self Important posted:

I would recommend Ghostface Killah.

redphoenix11
May 9, 2007

pipian posted:

Someone already mentioned Mott the Hoople, but to be more specific, start with All the Young Dudes. Their output before that wasn't especially glam.

1000 umbrellas
Aug 25, 2005

We thought we'd base our civilization upon yours, 'cause you're the smartest animals on earth, now ain't you?

Self Important posted:

"Bitches and money" aren't necessarily a bad thing. Check out N.W.A's "Straight Outta Compton." There's an element of reality/humanity in the music that isn't present in today's plasticized, white suburbia hip-hop.

It's loving good.

CharlesWillisMaddox
Jun 6, 2007

by angerbeet

hatelull posted:

Eh, that's sorta easy. Just look for any of the stuff favored "backpacker hip-hop" set. I'm not even remotely in touch with the subject, but I can ding off the following for you to seek.

Cannibal Ox - Cold Vein
Aesop Rock - Labor Days

Listen to what this man said, it's exactly what I was going to say (except maybe I'd get Aesop's None Shall Pass, but both are incredible in their own rights)

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

hatelull posted:

Cannibal Ox - Cold Vein
Aesop Rock - Labor Days

Aesop Rock's ok, but the others? I'd stay away. However, you might want to check out Eminem, Sage Francis, Sole, and Bubba Sparxxx. Let me know what you think and I can recommend some more.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

hatelull posted:

Cannibal Ox - Cold Vein

Really, every serious hip-hop fan should have this. Just an incredible album.

As an aside, would anyone be up for giving me a good Wu Tang primer for my white rear end? I got 36 Chambers, Iron Man, and Liquid Swords. What are good starting points for the Wu's solo albums, besides Ghostface and GZA?

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

Really, every serious hip-hop fan should have this. Just an incredible album.

As an aside, would anyone be up for giving me a good Wu Tang primer for my white rear end? I got 36 Chambers, Iron Man, and Liquid Swords. What are good starting points for the Wu's solo albums, besides Ghostface and GZA?

Pretty much all the first releases are good. You're missing what many think is the best (Only Built 4 Cuban Links), and what I consider the best (Return to the 36 Chambers). Tical is ok, just feels short to me (but listening to it, it's easy to see why many people thought Method Man was the best from the Wu). I like the first Bobby Digital album a lot, but it's not the typical Rza Wu sound. After those, most of the solo's are much weaker (with the exception of Ghostface).

Also, if you like B.I.B.L.E. off Liquid Swords, might wanna check out Sunz of Man-The Last Shall Be First and Killah Priest-Heavy Mental

trans fat
Jul 29, 2007

How should I start with Yngwie Malmsteen? I don't really want any of his previous band's albums, just his band named after himself. I like the song Icarus Dream Fanfare, so I'd like there to be more orchestral than metal, though a good mix of both would be ideal. I'm also not big on best-ofs or live albums.

Final Fart Buttball
Jun 24, 2005
I have every Mountain Goats album but I've only ever listened to "Get Lonely". Which ones should I listen to next, especially if I really liked that album?

Juttman
Apr 7, 2008

Saturated Fats
I've not heard Get Lonely, but I have The Sunset Tree, Heretic Pride, and Tallahassee and Sunset Tree is my favorite by far. It is a fantastic album. It has more instrumentation than a lot of Mountain Goats. There are drums, pianos, strings and stuff. The music is really emotional.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

trans fat posted:

How should I start with Yngwie Malmsteen? I don't really want any of his previous band's albums, just his band named after himself. I like the song Icarus Dream Fanfare, so I'd like there to be more orchestral than metal, though a good mix of both would be ideal. I'm also not big on best-ofs or live albums.

You want this.

Juttman
Apr 7, 2008

Saturated Fats
Where do I start with Neil Young? I have no idea where to start. If it means anything, I prefer folky acoustic music over electric hard rock. (The two genres it mentions on his wikipedia article)

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Juttman posted:

Where do I start with Neil Young? I have no idea where to start. If it means anything, I prefer folky acoustic music over electric hard rock. (The two genres it mentions on his wikipedia article)

If you're looking for acoustic guitar and piano stuff, start with After the Gold Rush, and follow it up with Harvest.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Where do I start with Sigur Ros? I heard Sæglópur randomly the other day and it got me kinda interested.

Uncle Meat
Feb 8, 2008

I will eat your children.

MatCauthon posted:

Where do I start with Sigur Ros? I heard Sæglópur randomly the other day and it got me kinda interested.

The most accessible one, IMO, is Takk. From there go backwards to ( ), then Ágætis Byrjun and finally Von. Then the rest if you're up for it.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

MatCauthon posted:

I think Takk... is easily the the best album to start on a Sigur Ros lovefest, and it even includes the song that tuned you in.

If you find yourself enjoying that, delve into ( ) and Ágætis byrjun. And gently caress the haters, their latest Með suð í eyrum við spilum endalaust is good as well, but kinda different then the previous mentioned albums.

I wish I could re-discover Sigur Ros again.

Dongsmith
Apr 12, 2007

CLANG THUD SPLUT

Final Fantasy Baseball posted:

I have every Mountain Goats album but I've only ever listened to "Get Lonely". Which ones should I listen to next, especially if I really liked that album?

We Shall All Be Healed is downright incredible. Though it came after Tallahassee, which marked the paradigm shift from John-and-a-boombox to John-and-a-studio-band, it has a slightly noisier, more lo-fi sound and general atmosphere. None of his work is inaccessible per se, but I think Sunset Tree is probably his most immediately catchy album. Tallahassee has some great tracks on it that everyone should hear (No Children, Southwood Plantation Road). All Hail West Texas has a great selection of lo-fi storytelling crowdpleasers (fall of the star high-school running back, the best ever death metal band in denton), but it was the last album he recorded on his dying Panasonic boombox with the tape mechanism right next to the microphone, so if you're looking for something with a polished sound to go with the polished lyrics his later work is more up your alley.

Honestly, I think Heretic Pride has some great songs, but it's not as consistent as the other 4AD albums. You'll probably like it, but I don't think it's as enduring as Tallahassee or ...Healed or Get Lonely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flirty dental hygienist
Jul 24, 2007

Way Past Cool! posted:

If you're looking for acoustic guitar and piano stuff, start with After the Gold Rush, and follow it up with Harvest.

I don't see what all the hype about Harvest is. Maybe I just don't get the album, but I hate it. I love After the Gold Rush and Everyone Knows This Is Nowhere. I think a lot of what he does with Crazy Horse is pretty good. Also, Live Rust is a pretty solid album.