Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steiler Drep
Nov 30, 2004
what?

RivensBitch posted:

It should just appear in the coreaudio section of the control panel. I thought you mac guys just plugged everything in and it worked with no questions asked? Isn't that why you spend $2,000 more on your computers?

No, we pay $2000 more so that we can actually spend time working/recording instead of fixing the computer. :iceburn:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RivensBitch
Jul 25, 2002

Do you actually understand the nature of this conversation and what troubles mr_package is experiencing with his MAC, or did you just shoot your wad without checking to see if the living room blinds were open?

mr_package
Jun 13, 2000

RivensBitch posted:

Do you actually understand the nature of this conversation and what troubles mr_package is experiencing with his MAC, or did you just shoot your wad without checking to see if the living room blinds were open?
Oh I'm not having troubles, just trying to help theycallmecoolethan. Originally I posted this long explanation about how to set devices and route busses in Cubase but then I realized probably it was a driver problem. But macs don't need drivers so :confused:

I'm an XP user so that is the extent of my ability to help unfortunately.

My previous statement was meant as: "theycallmecoolethan, do you see the Onyx showing up as an audio device when you connect it" since if it's there then it's software config problem in the DAW and if it isn't then presumably hardware or OS problem.

struan87
Sep 8, 2004

What's your sign?

mr_package posted:

But macs don't need drivers so :confused:
Every OS needs drivers :) The difference is where they come from and if you have to install them manually.

RivensBitch
Jul 25, 2002

All I know is that if he has a mac, and he plugged it in and turned it on, then it's obviously working. Maybe he hasn't turned the mixer on? Or maybe he hasn't plugged it in. Maybe turn the mac on, and THEN plug the mixer in, and then turn it on? I think if you do that, then it will just work, because macs always just work when you plug them in and turn them on. That's why they're way better and why it's worth paying thousands of dollars more.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den
Really? Are we going there? Come on.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

d0grent posted:

I want to know what you guys would recommend to me in the $200-$400 range. All I really need is good quality 1/4" jacks to record bass/guitar and possibly vocals, and a good quality midi input.
Do you already have separate preamps that you're going to run into the sound card? If not, you're going to want an interface with preamps and XLR inputs in addition to 1/4" jacks. If you want to run electric bass/guitar directly into the interface, you need 1/4" jacks that are "Hi Z" (high impedance).

Some good interfaces in that price range are:

Presonus Firebox
Edirol FA-66
Focusrite Saffire (or Saffire LE)

I'm not sure about interfaces with only 1/4" and MIDI.

sentientcarbon
Aug 21, 2008

OFFLINE GAMES ARE THE FUTURE OF ONLINE GAMING

The numbers don't lie. 99.99% of every Diablo 3 player wants the game to be offline. This is a FACT.

OH SHIT IS THAT A WEBCAM? HOLY CRAP GET THAT AWAY FROM ME! (I am terrified of being spied on, because I am a very interesting person)
I've been meaning to get into making my own music for a while now, and recently finally got a job that would give me the money and free time I'd need to do so. What program would you guys recommend for someone who has never recorded before but nonetheless is willing to put a ton of time and effort into it (i.e. I'd like user friendliness, but would value versatility over it)? Presume a price ceiling of ~$1000. I'd also prefer something that could be fully contained on my computer without any extra physical stuff (not much space for a proper studio in my apt.). I'd be running this on a 3.4Ghz Pentium 4 Dell XPS with 1GB of RAM and Windows XP.

lonequid
Sep 26, 2004

Last fighter of the Euro Conversion Resistance League

sentientcarbon posted:

I've been meaning to get into making my own music for a while now, and recently finally got a job that would give me the money and free time I'd need to do so. What program would you guys recommend for someone who has never recorded before but nonetheless is willing to put a ton of time and effort into it (i.e. I'd like user friendliness, but would value versatility over it)? Presume a price ceiling of ~$1000. I'd also prefer something that could be fully contained on my computer without any extra physical stuff (not much space for a proper studio in my apt.). I'd be running this on a 3.4Ghz Pentium 4 Dell XPS with 1GB of RAM and Windows XP.

Check out Reaper. It's simple, easy to use, has a fully functional free trial, and even when you want to purchase it it's very cheap. It's $50 for a non-commercial license (you can only use it for your work) and $225 for a commercial license. Take the other $775 you were going to spend (or $950 if you don't plan on recording other people's music) and buy a nice interface/microphone.

lonequid fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Apr 2, 2009

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.
I'm just curious to see if I've got this information right...

The workflow goes like this: Instrument/Amp (miked up or direct) > Recording Interface (i.e. Presonus Firestudio) > Computer > DAW (i.e. Cubase/Live/Sonar/Logic/etc.)

RivensBitch
Jul 25, 2002

Gorilla Salsa posted:

I'm just curious to see if I've got this information right...

The workflow goes like this: Instrument/Amp (miked up or direct) > Recording Interface (i.e. Presonus Firestudio) > Computer > DAW (i.e. Cubase/Live/Sonar/Logic/etc.)

Sounds good to me. Although I would add a step before micing the amp, which is having a good acoustic space to make noise in.

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.

RivensBitch posted:

Sounds good to me. Although I would add a step before micing the amp, which is having a good acoustic space to make noise in.

I had actually planned to record direct, because I'm kind of in a crap situation to record in (I live with my parents :()

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Are there any good tricks for bringing tracks together in a mix? I mean getting the feel that the bass and drums were recorded together without having the means to actually do so.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Three Red Lights posted:

Are there any good tricks for bringing tracks together in a mix? I mean getting the feel that the bass and drums were recorded together without having the means to actually do so.

Use a click track when you record.

Tetris Crowley
Aug 17, 2007
who wants waffles!?
I'm looking to get an interface and recording software, I've been recommended this
http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.co...kage?sku=702527

Now, I like the reviews, and I've been told it's really nice and whatnot, but is there anything better out there? Or just as good, but more user friendly? I'm retarded when it comes to stuff like this. I've owned my axiom-49 for over a year and I still haven't figured that out...

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

OopsIpwntMyWaffles posted:

I'm looking to get an interface and recording software, I've been recommended this
http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.co...kage?sku=702527

Now, I like the reviews, and I've been told it's really nice and whatnot, but is there anything better out there? Or just as good, but more user friendly? I'm retarded when it comes to stuff like this. I've owned my axiom-49 for over a year and I still haven't figured that out...
Looking forward to hearing the recommendations on this - it sounds like a pretty good setup for Jendywo and me.
We stopped by Guitar Center a couple weeks back to poke around a little bit, described our situation and goals (along with the recommendations that we'd gotten from others already), and got pitched some gear + software that was waaaaay out of our budget. While we could see the advantages of the recommendations (Sonar Studio 8, and similar dollars tied up in firewire-based interface gear - and that with no mic, no cables, etc. yet.), it would have broken the bank.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

nimper posted:

Use a click track when you record.

No poo poo, I meant recorded in the same room sounding like a "real" band.

That being said I figured out what it mainly was, I was getting a bunch of latency Live wasnt reporting right meaning there was an annoying subtle time disparity between the sequenced drums and the real bass.

massive spider fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Apr 6, 2009

ChristsDickWorship
Dec 7, 2004

Annihilate your demons

Three Red Lights posted:

That being said I figured out what it mainly was, I was getting a bunch of latency Live wasnt reporting right meaning there was an annoying subtle time disparity between the sequenced drums and the real bass.
As far as I know, software has no way of calculating input latency. How could it possibly monitor the time between when the voltage leaves the preamp and when the corresponding bits hit the USB bus in the computer?

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Theres a test you can do which involves connecting a cable from the input to the output and seeing the difference with a test tone. It still doesent feel quite right though.

ChristsDickWorship
Dec 7, 2004

Annihilate your demons

Three Red Lights posted:

Theres a test you can do which involves connecting a cable from the input to the output and seeing the difference with a test tone. It still doesent feel quite right though.
That will only tell you your total output to input latency. You still don't know your input latency unless you know for a fact that the input and output latencies are exactly equal.

It's also not monitorable, so if for some reason (power spikes, low voltage, who knows) you lose a ms here or there under certain conditions you would never know.

ChristsDickWorship fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Apr 7, 2009

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Three Red Lights posted:

A reverb return track?

Gunga-Din
Apr 27, 2005
I've recently upgraded my recording rig to a MBP (Leopard, 2.5ghz CTD, 2gigs ram) with Logic 8. I used to be a Protools LE guy and I've got my old MBOX 1 that I've been using with the Digidesign Core Audio to record sketches and practices and stuff but now I want to multitrack.

Problem is that the MBOX 1 input won't record anything that matches up to playback when it's in. I know that this is a latency and a/d (?) thing and that most likely the MBOX needs to be replaced with something a bit more current.

After having read this entire thread I've decided that I'll be switching to a new interface, here are my choices.

Apogee Duet
Presonus Firebox
M Audio Profire 610

Mike pres are fairly important to me but I'm mostly after the ability to record tracks along with playback of the mix without latency issues/general bullshit. So ML am I on the right track?

ChristsDickWorship
Dec 7, 2004

Annihilate your demons

Gunga-Din posted:

Apogee Duet
Presonus Firebox
M Audio Profire 610

Mike pres are fairly important to me but I'm mostly after the ability to record tracks along with playback of the mix without latency issues/general bullshit. So ML am I on the right track?
I'm pretty comfortable saying the Duet will sound the best, although I haven't heard it or the Profire 610, and it's pretty much designed to work with Logic so that's a plus for you. M-Audio has struggled keeping their drivers current with the last few major Windows and Mac updates, and Mac usually gets the short end of that stick. Apogee is one of the few who develop their hardware specifically for Mac. I wouldn't really call the Firebox an upgrade from an MBox.

I've used an MBox to record lots of times and never had a serious latency issue though. If it's an obvious fixed amount of latency, you can nudge the whole track back 14 or 17ms or whatever the latency actually is. Any firewire interface will likely improve your latency over a USB one, but it will never be much below 10ms until you get to much more expensive interfaces.

second best sponge
Jun 13, 2003

I'm from Cleveland :tinsley:
I haven't made any major purchases yet and have spent the better part of the last 6 months just looking into things and reading reviews. My goal set-up would be for mobile laptop djing and production as well as getting CDJ decks and a mixer.

What I haven't been able to find though is that one piece of equipment to tie EVERYTHING together. The whole studio plus TV input as one giant media center. I know I could get Serato to use CDJ decks with my laptop and record mixes, but I'm kind of looking for some sort of magical wonder receiver that I can run everything through to either desktop monitors or amps and larger pro speakers.

I would probably have a second dedicated laptop for playing out vice disconnecting everything when I want to play live.

Would this work?
TV Feed --> TiVO --> TV Card --> Laptop --> Ext Display Monitor
CDJ Decks --> Mixer --> Serato Interface thingy --> Laptop --> Serato Software
MIDI Controllers (2) --> Laptop --> Ableton Live
Microphone/Instrument --> 4x4 stereo I/O interface -(USB)-> Laptop -(OUT)-> Amp/Monitors
PS3 Type HiDef Media Player --> Laptop

The end result I'm looking for is being able to digitally record everything on the laptop (TV Shows, DJ Mixes) while still being able to produce my own poo poo via software and MIDI controllers. I think I may run out of USB/Firewire ports.

If you see any giant flaws or problems this scheme would create, please let me know. I don't see why this wouldn't be doable with the right funding and motivation. The only major problem I can foresee would be latency issues from routing poo poo all over the place. Also, adding something like a MicroKorg or studio mixer later on might be difficult.

I am looking for recommendations for the following:
USB/Firewire Hub (there is a lot of poo poo I want to connect)
4x4 Stereo I/O interface (Perferably something with a headphones input to monitor cued tracks in Ableton)
TV Card

second best sponge fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Apr 9, 2009

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?
So I suppose with all the money being made on ProTools Training Courses, people tend to make it difficult to find good usable information easily. Googling ProTools will result in 900 different courses you can take, but very little "here's how you do this" info.

Anyway, I just switched my entire setup from a Roland VS-2480 over to ProTools 8 M-Powered with a Project Mix I/O. And while I have some books and things on the way (and waiting for some PT8-updated ones to be released), there are a couple of quick questions I have:

Is there some way to monitor in "real-time" while recording a drummer with a click track? What I mean is, as it's setup right now, when I see the drummer hit a drum, there is a good 250ms or so before I hear it come out of the speakers. The only strange thing about it is that I seem to be hearing the click track in real time, so of course this makes it difficult to gauge the performance until after it's complete. On playback everything syncs up properly.

I'm sure there's just some setting somewhere I'm missing, but hell if I can find it.

After watching some of the digitv or digidesigntv or whatever it is videos, I'm having some cursor confusion. I see in the video where someone drag/drops in a drum loop, then grabs the end of it and stretches, and it fills haw ever many measures he needs. Which cursor is that? I tried what I thought was all of them, but couldn't get it to do that.

Similar question, but in the MIDI editor. I see him dragging around individual notes in the MIDI editor, or being able to edit each one. Which cursor? Trying them didn't see to have the same result.

Thanks in advance!

Not Memorable
Jul 25, 2004

You are the single most important person in the universe.
Anyone have first-hand knowledge of a rackmount cassette (yes, plain old cassette tape) recorder that is not complete junk? Most of the models I can find are from weird brands I can't find any information on.

I'm also trying to find a solution to roll for at least 80 minutes if not 120 minutes continuously on cassette tape. Any dual-well recorders that will automatically pick up recording on the second well when the first one runs out of tape? This does not necessarily have to be a rackmounted solution but it would be a plus.

Gunga-Din
Apr 27, 2005

wixard posted:

I'm pretty comfortable saying the Duet will sound the best, although I haven't heard it or the Profire 610, and it's pretty much designed to work with Logic so that's a plus for you. M-Audio has struggled keeping their drivers current with the last few major Windows and Mac updates, and Mac usually gets the short end of that stick. Apogee is one of the few who develop their hardware specifically for Mac. I wouldn't really call the Firebox an upgrade from an MBox.

I've used an MBox to record lots of times and never had a serious latency issue though. If it's an obvious fixed amount of latency, you can nudge the whole track back 14 or 17ms or whatever the latency actually is. Any firewire interface will likely improve your latency over a USB one, but it will never be much below 10ms until you get to much more expensive interfaces.

Thanks, I think I'll probably go with the Duet. My aim is easy layering. I wan to be able to lay down a drum track out of a sequencer and then lay down a guitar track, a bass track and a vocal track one at a time.

If there is always going to be a 10ms lag will I always have to bum my recordings so that they will sync? Is there a way to automate this? I'm pretty that I used to be able to lay down tracks like this in Protools LE like five years ago with no problem on a less powerful system with the same mbox.

ChristsDickWorship
Dec 7, 2004

Annihilate your demons

HaB posted:

Is there some way to monitor in "real-time" while recording a drummer with a click track? What I mean is, as it's setup right now, when I see the drummer hit a drum, there is a good 250ms or so before I hear it come out of the speakers. The only strange thing about it is that I seem to be hearing the click track in real time, so of course this makes it difficult to gauge the performance until after it's complete. On playback everything syncs up properly.
A direct monitoring feature on your interface itself is the best way to achieve this. It would basically allow you to blend the DAW playback with the live mics being recorded before they take the round trip in and out of the computer. Not familiar with the ProjectMix personally, but it won't be controlled by Pro Tools if it has that feature.

quote:

After watching some of the digitv or digidesigntv or whatever it is videos, I'm having some cursor confusion. I see in the video where someone drag/drops in a drum loop, then grabs the end of it and stretches, and it fills haw ever many measures he needs. Which cursor is that? I tried what I thought was all of them, but couldn't get it to do that.
It would probably be the edge/trim tool (the bracket looking one). I'm not much of a MIDI editor, but I think newer Pro Tools (7.4+) has ways to designate certain audio files as loops, and it has a separate loop editor window for them. This probably only works with them. Unfortunately I can't help more...

Gunga-Din posted:

If there is always going to be a 10ms lag will I always have to bum my recordings so that they will sync? Is there a way to automate this? I'm pretty that I used to be able to lay down tracks like this in Protools LE like five years ago with no problem on a less powerful system with the same mbox.
Yea, it sounds to me like something is weird in your setup as well, with regards to latency. 10-20ms isn't perfect, but it isn't usually painfully obvious either. It would be analogous to standing 12-25ft from your drummer while you play, it should still feel like it's in time. Like I said, I've never done a project with my MBox where it became a big problem.

You are getting these problems in Logic and Pro Tools LE, or just Logic? Could it be Logic has some misapplied delay compensation going on or something? Have you tried actually bouncing/exporting the sequenced drums as a stereo WAV file instead of sequencing it live out of Logic while you record? Maybe it's a resources thing and not the interface at all (yes your new rig is way more powerful, but new DAWs also use way more resources many times).

Gunga-Din
Apr 27, 2005

wixard posted:

Yea, it sounds to me like something is weird in your setup as well, with regards to latency. 10-20ms isn't perfect, but it isn't usually painfully obvious either. It would be analogous to standing 12-25ft from your drummer while you play, it should still feel like it's in time. Like I said, I've never done a project with my MBox where it became a big problem.

You are getting these problems in Logic and Pro Tools LE, or just Logic? Could it be Logic has some misapplied delay compensation going on or something? Have you tried actually bouncing/exporting the sequenced drums as a stereo WAV file instead of sequencing it live out of Logic while you record? Maybe it's a resources thing and not the interface at all (yes your new rig is way more powerful, but new DAWs also use way more resources many times).

I'm only running Logic cause I don't want to fork over more cash to didigdeisgn for countless upgrades. I sequence the drums out of a synth so they are just a recorded mono track.

I guess I'll have to look at the setup, I should have plenty of resources as I see that the cpu and HD levels are always pretty chill. I've got the buffer on Logic set to 32 bu the core audio for the mbox limits it to 512 which I hear is not so good.

I'm making demos here really so I'm not concerned with the ultimate sonic experience but I do need a fast and effective way to lay down tracks that are in time with each other.

Thanks for the info Wixard hopefully this will be resolved.

Tetris Crowley
Aug 17, 2007
who wants waffles!?

HaB posted:

So I suppose with all the money being made on ProTools Training Courses, people tend to make it difficult to find good usable information easily. Googling ProTools will result in 900 different courses you can take, but very little "here's how you do this" info.

Youtube has a lot of tutorial videos

RivensBitch
Jul 25, 2002

HaB posted:

So I suppose with all the money being made on ProTools Training Courses, people tend to make it difficult to find good usable information easily.

You're kidding right? I don't know what's more laughable, the idea that there's tons of money being made on protools training, or that if someone WAS successfully doing so, that they'd somehow be influencing google results to make good answers hard to find.

Not Memorable posted:

Anyone have first-hand knowledge of a rackmount cassette (yes, plain old cassette tape) recorder that is not complete junk? Most of the models I can find are from weird brands I can't find any information on.

Cassette recorders are finally disappearing, at least on the newly manufactured side of things. I know firsthand that Denon and Marantz have discontinued all of their players/recorders, and there are no plans to release new models.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

RivensBitch posted:

You're kidding right? I don't know what's more laughable, the idea that there's tons of money being made on protools training, or that if someone WAS successfully doing so, that they'd somehow be influencing google results to make good answers hard to find.

I guess more what I meant was. With how much money they are charging for ProTools training. I couldn't even find a ProTools 101 class for less than $2500 or so. And that's for a one DAY session. I'm not suggesting they are influencing google results, I'm just saying EVERYONE seems to be offering ProTools training, so that's most of what you get.

Easy there, buddy. Wasn't trying to pee in your cornflakes or nothing.

Not Memorable
Jul 25, 2004

RivensBitch posted:

Cassette recorders are finally disappearing, at least on the newly manufactured side of things. I know firsthand that Denon and Marantz have discontinued all of their players/recorders, and there are no plans to release new models.

Dang. I'd love to not have to use cassettes but that's what the client wants. Maybe I can talk them into CD's eventually.

ChristsDickWorship
Dec 7, 2004

Annihilate your demons

HaB posted:

I guess more what I meant was. With how much money they are charging for ProTools training. I couldn't even find a ProTools 101 class for less than $2500 or so. And that's for a one DAY session. I'm not suggesting they are influencing google results, I'm just saying EVERYONE seems to be offering ProTools training, so that's most of what you get.

At that price, most of those are geared towards "Pro Tools Certification" as opposed to getting comfortable making your own music in Pro Tools. That actually is a racket, IMO, analogous to Windows MCSA/E Certification.

Look for things labeled "crash course," and not things involving "certification." There are several places around here that provide weekend crash courses in Pro Tools geared toward home studios with 10 or so hours of instruction plus some course material for $200-$300. The certification stuff is for people who think they're going to make a living as a Pro Tools operator, or for live engineers who want to learn the Venue system inside and out for their resume.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

OopsIpwntMyWaffles posted:

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Digidesign-Pro-Tools-Mbox-2-Factory-Package?sku=702527

Still would be curious to hear thoughts from the assemblage about the value and utility of either one of these packages.

Digidesign Mbox 2 Mini Recording Bundle for $400 or:

Digidesign Pro Tools Mbox 2 Factory Bundle for $675.

Kenny Rogers fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Apr 9, 2009

RivensBitch
Jul 25, 2002

HaB posted:

http://www.secretsofthepros.com/

My company repped these instructional DVDs for a minute and I was asked to review them before we took on the line. They're actually really good, step by step video instructions that are geared towards people just like you looking to learn how to actually use protools.

You can also access the digidesign user conference at duc.digidesign.com, and I'm willing to bet there's a ton of youtube videos out there.

I'm not trying to pee in your cornflakes either, but if you dig around google a bit further there are TONS of free resources out there if you can't afford some books and a $30 DVD.

RivensBitch
Jul 25, 2002

Not Memorable posted:

Dang. I'd love to not have to use cassettes but that's what the client wants. Maybe I can talk them into CD's eventually.

Maybe you could start with, "They don't make cassette decks anymore" and see how he responds.

mr_package
Jun 13, 2000

RivensBitch posted:

Maybe you could start with, "They don't make cassette decks anymore" and see how he responds.
Yeah no poo poo-- what is he doing that requires cassette? Why not just use a solid state recorder of some sort? 4GB (not even expensive these days) is 6 hours @ 44.1khz/16-bit

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/recording/portable-field-recorders

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

RivensBitch posted:

http://www.secretsofthepros.com/

My company repped these instructional DVDs for a minute and I was asked to review them before we took on the line. They're actually really good, step by step video instructions that are geared towards people just like you looking to learn how to actually use protools.

You can also access the digidesign user conference at duc.digidesign.com, and I'm willing to bet there's a ton of youtube videos out there.

I'm not trying to pee in your cornflakes either, but if you dig around google a bit further there are TONS of free resources out there if you can't afford some books and a $30 DVD.

Any idea when/if those videos might get updated for version 8? From what I can tell it's quite a bit different than 7.x. There's a few other books and stuff I am waiting on release dates for. I didn't realize 8 was so new or I might've gone for 7.4 or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not Memorable
Jul 25, 2004

mr_package posted:

Yeah no poo poo-- what is he doing that requires cassette? Why not just use a solid state recorder of some sort? 4GB (not even expensive these days) is 6 hours @ 44.1khz/16-bit

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/recording/portable-field-recorders

It's recording, but it's not music. We're doing video depositions for law firms. The court reporters all use cassettes and they want a copy immediately after the deposition to take back and use to finalize their transcriptions.