Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Simkin posted:

Send him out for a replacement chain next time, and see if he comes back with a Desmo. :black101:

Also, sweet gently caress, that thing is hot, especially in something other than "lookit me I'm Italian" red.

You know, I love the Ducati red, but holy poo poo that does look hot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

null0ne
Jul 18, 2006

Doctor Zero posted:

You know, I love the Ducati red, but holy poo poo that does look hot.

He's dreamed of having a tricolore ducati since the F1, it is incredibly good looking.

EDIT:
Oh god I heard him coming home from the highway. Those pipes are intense.

null0ne fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Apr 2, 2009

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"
We have your cat. If you ever want to see it alive again, you must post many, many videos of this bike.

null0ne
Jul 18, 2006

Simkin posted:

We have your cat. If you ever want to see it alive again, you must post many, many videos of this bike.

He just went out of town until tuesday. I'll try and get the one of him riding up the first time, but I have a feeling that riding it without him being here would not only be a douchenozzle move, but also wind up with me breaking it into many, many pieces as soon as loki noticed. After that though, I'll post plenty.

EDIT:
Video of him bringing it home
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVSe79rqEcU

null0ne fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Apr 3, 2009

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames
Been doing wheelies, stoppies, and dragging my knees on my bike recently for fun.

Today, I tried to ride conservative by not doing that, since I was wearing only my jacket, helmet and gloves. No leather pants or boots. Then some guy cut me off while I was going 25 mph in a straight line and I fell.

Got the other guy's information and filed a police report. Had to go in an ambulance but only had a sprain. Based on all the eye witness reports it appears that I am not at fault, but I'll find out once the police report is completed. Hopefully my bike is totaled, so I can get a good 5.5 or 6g and buy a GSXR 2008.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Apr 9, 2009

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

You lock the front and dive on the right side? That doesn't look very totaled.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Between all of the plastics, it's totalled. All of those plastic bits are very expensive.

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames

Spiffness posted:

You lock the front and dive on the right side? That doesn't look very totaled.
Forks are slightly bend, there's damage to the Yoshimura pipe. There appears to be a slight curve to the rear frame now. The bottom plastic piece is $600 alone. Tank, rear fairing, front fairing, all damaged.

I was going to slip past him in the right lane, but the wheel slipped on train tracks and the bike started gyrating. Here is what I can remember:

My bike is the green line. I slipped on the tracks when I tried to veer.

cmorrow001
Feb 22, 2003
apparently I shouldn't ask about pirating Windows

Z3n posted:

Between all of the plastics, it's totalled. All of those plastic bits are very expensive.

I"m not sure of that. If the frame is clean, I don't think its totaled.

Sorry to hear about your crash though.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

cmorrow001 posted:

OEM upper cowling is gonna be an easy 600-700$. Plus headlights, mounting brackets, lowers, cases, rear plastics, etc. Plastics on a bike make it very, very expensive.

With the forks and subframe, it's done for sure. Easy 30 hours of book labor to do all of that work, which at the standard shop rate of 100$ an hour will eat 3k into his estimate...the plastics are another 1800$ or so, forks are gonna be a thousand at least. Toss the pipes, the rearset, I bet the bar is bent, maybe some tweaking on the triples, the front rim probably got rashed. I'd be amazed if they didn't total it.

He could get it back up and running for the cost of a replacement front end, though, as long as there's no frame damage.

CoolBlue
Jul 23, 2007
Bags of cereal are awesome

Z3n posted:

He could get it back up and running for the cost of a replacement front end, though, as long as there's no frame damage.

I'd buy that bike back before they were done telling me it was totaled (so long as the main frame was fine). I'm always amazed at bikes that get written off with what appears to be cosmetic damage. Plastic shouldn't be that expensive.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"
Well, it isn't, if you don't mind buying non-OEM pieces.

JTS, why aren't you going to the track, what with all your wheelie/stoppie/kneedragging shenanigans? There's fewer people pulling out randomly in front of you, and last time I checked, none of them have train tracks running parallel on them.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Simkin posted:

Well, it isn't, if you don't mind buying non-OEM pieces.

JTS, why aren't you going to the track, what with all your wheelie/stoppie/kneedragging shenanigans? There's fewer people pulling out randomly in front of you, and last time I checked, none of them have train tracks running parallel on them.

He wasn't doing any of that stuff when get got in the accident. JTS can sometimes comes off like a bit of an idiot, but this was just an example of bad luck like any other accident. It definitely doesn't appear to be his fault either. No need to jump on him.

JTS, you should see what the insurance wants to buy it back if they total it. I'm in your area and depending on the damage might be want to buy it off them if its not too badly messed up and you don't want it. Are the forks actually bent or just twisted in the triple clamps?

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames

pr0zac posted:

He wasn't doing any of that stuff when get got in the accident. JTS can sometimes comes off like a bit of an idiot, but this was just an example of bad luck like any other accident. It definitely doesn't appear to be his fault either. No need to jump on him.

JTS, you should see what the insurance wants to buy it back if they total it. I'm in your area and depending on the damage might be want to buy it off them if its not too badly messed up and you don't want it. Are the forks actually bent or just twisted in the triple clamps?

No clue, getting a damage estimate tomorrow from the local dealership. I'll give you a copy of the list. It slammed down hard as hell though, the frame slider bent inward and went through the side frame.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
Did you have motosliders?

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames

Captain Apollo posted:

Did you have motosliders?

Yea, but the impact smashed it in and it didn't help that much.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
I actually mean the brand motosliders from svrider or whatever. Sorry. They have a bolt through the engine type install so I was thinking it would react better

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Jack the Smack posted:

No clue, getting a damage estimate tomorrow from the local dealership. I'll give you a copy of the list. It slammed down hard as hell though, the frame slider bent inward and went through the side frame.

You mean the frame slider broke a hole in the frame? No way it won't be totaled. I'm surprised at how much damage you did to the frame/forks sliding in a straight line.

But enough about broken SV1000's. Let's get back to posting pictures of our fathers' 1098s Tricolores.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Zool posted:

But enough about broken SV1000's. Let's get back to posting pictures of our fathers' 1098s Tricolores.

And lots of glorious video.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

pr0zac posted:

Agreed on the not his fault and no need to jump on him about it.

I also agree on the second bit...post that up on BARF if someone here doesn't want it, because buyback will probably only be around a thousand, and you could probably easily get 1500$ for it. If I were in the area, I'd be happy to help you out with it, as long as there's not huge amounts of damage, it should still be easy to get it back up to running condition. If you fixed it yourself, you could probably get 2500$ out of it.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

null0ne posted:

My dad went out to get sparkplugs on his 10 year old, owned-since-new ST2. He came back on this.

Click here for the full 1632x1224 image.

North Dallas or Houston? Those photos just look so North Dallas it's uncanny. The homes, and the complete lack of anything on the skyline. Oh and that's an amazingly cool bike.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

cmorrow001 posted:

There's totaled totaled, and then there's insurance totaled. I'd bet it's insurance totaled. If the retail on all that damage is greater than the value of the bike, then insurance considers it totaled, regardless of the reality.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
Oh, and here's some content

NVaderJ
Oct 27, 2003

OH YEAH? I'M FROM DETROIT(s suburbs)!
Picked this up last fall for $700:

And have slowly turned it into this over the winter:

Bondo and bedliner for the tank:

I used standard Duplicolor automotive enamel spray, five coats with light sanding between, and several coats of clear, followed by a wet sand, rubbing compound and polishing. The bedliner is supposed to handle gas drips better than most paint (we'll see I guess).

Also have rewired both front turn signals, replaced front and rear tire on my own, fixed minor scratches and cracked plastic with gas tank repair putty. Supposedly stands up to vibration better than other options.

New logo stickers courtesy Kitch Vinyl Stickers from SA Mart.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

:monocle: Wow, that looks loving awesome! My first thought was that you'd bought a new bike when I saw the second pics. Way to do justice to an old bike...drat!

How much did you end up putting into it total?

jdonz
Jan 4, 2004

That looks fantastic. I love the green you picked. Great job.

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI
That is such an awesome idea, in regards to the bedliner on just a portion of the tank!

I might end up having to do that!

NVaderJ
Oct 27, 2003

Z3n posted:

:monocle: Wow, that looks loving awesome! My first thought was that you'd bought a new bike when I saw the second pics. Way to do justice to an old bike...drat!

How much did you end up putting into it total?

I'd say around $300-400. The new tires were free to me (front came with the bike, got a matching rear as a Christmas gift). The most expensive things were probably the paint (probably gone thru 8-10 small cans of green, one large primer and one large clearcoat), followed by the owners manual, maintenance guide and clymer.

Thanks for all the nice words about the bike! I'm very happy with it. :)

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

NVaderJ posted:

I used standard Duplicolor automotive enamel spray, five coats with light sanding between, and several coats of clear, followed by a wet sand, rubbing compound and polishing. The bedliner is supposed to handle gas drips better than most paint (we'll see I guess).

You did a great job on that bike.

Mind going into more detail on the painting process? I'm also attempting to Duplicolour spray bomb route and I'm just laying down the first coats. I'd like to know how you ended up with such a nice result.

NVaderJ
Oct 27, 2003

8ender posted:

You did a great job on that bike.

Mind going into more detail on the painting process? I'm also attempting to Duplicolour spray bomb route and I'm just laying down the first coats. I'd like to know how you ended up with such a nice result.

I actually did it last year, so I'm a bit foggy on it right now. I used a grinder with a steel brush attachment to take the old paint off (no gas in tank, obviously). After that, I roughed up the metal with a mid-fine-grade sandpaper. Clean with some rubbing alcohol and apply primer.

Sand primer smooth (ok to go to bare metal in spots).

Respray primer, and then sand with fine paper. Let dry completely, clean with windex or other cleaner that doesnt leave residue.

Apply a very fine coat of color, allowing it to set for 15-20 mins. This gives the additional layers something to adhere to, avoiding drips. Then I'd apply two hefty layers of color, then sand with fine grade paper again. Repeat the process for two more layers of color. Wet sand with fine paper, clean, then start clearcoating.

Again, a fine layer of clear first, then heavier coats. I didn't sand between clear coats. After I had 5-6 good heavy coats of clear, I let it dry for a few days. Hit it with some more fine wet sanding, followed by wet ultra-fine sanding.

Follow this with rubbing compound to really get rid of the orange peel effect. Not doing this will result in a finish that looks like this. Finish with a wax.

This was the end result.

Click here for the full 1024x665 image.

It's very important to allow the coats to dry completely before sanding. If you try to sand too early, you'll notice the sandpaper collecting little soft balls of paint/clearcoat.

This enamel can't stand up to gasoline, however, so that's why I went with the bedliner for the areas surrounding the gas cap.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

NVaderJ posted:

Picked this up last fall for $700:

And have slowly turned it into this over the winter:

Bondo and bedliner for the tank:

Also have rewired both front turn signals, replaced front and rear tire on my own, fixed minor scratches and cracked plastic with gas tank repair putty. Supposedly stands up to vibration better than other options.

New logo stickers courtesy Kitch Vinyl Stickers from SA Mart.

Looks great!

Also looks like you forgot to sand down and repaint your center stand, though ;)

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

NVaderJ posted:

This enamel can't stand up to gasoline, however, so that's why I went with the bedliner for the areas surrounding the gas cap.

How was the application of the bedliner stuff?

NVaderJ
Oct 27, 2003

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

How was the application of the bedliner stuff?

Very easy. I masked off the tank, hit it with a fine sandpaper, and sprayed away. I was sort of surprised by the force that the bedliner comes out of the can with, but other than that, it was the easiest part of any of the painting I've done.

laymil
Sep 13, 2005

so it goes...
I just finished putting my freshly painted fairings back on my '89 GSX600F.

Here's what it looked like originally:

I found a stock exhaust, painted it with some high heat flat black since it was a bit beat up and bolted it up. At the beginning of winter I tore off all of the fairings and started painting. I didn't dedicate much time to it and it shows, but it turned out as a nice 5-10 footer, which is all I was really going for. I didn't put the mirrors on because 1) it's a paint in the rear end because the nuts are broken off and 2) I have a set of bar end mirrors coming later this week.

Here's what it looks like now:

Right after I took these pictures, I slipped rolling the bike back into the garage and dropped it! Lucky for me I just used cheap rattlecan paint, so 30 seconds of sanding the scuffed fairing, another 30 to paint and we're back where we started.

Charles 1998
Sep 27, 2007

by VideoGames
Looks good bro

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
I'll take one can of flat black and one of oh I don't know electric blue. I really can't make fun of you for having a hideous mismatched looking bike, but I wish I could.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I was thinking the same thing, but then I remembered that I have a champagne colored bike. Its the factory paint, too.

laymil
Sep 13, 2005

so it goes...
Since when are blue and black hideously mismatched :(?

Stoic Commie
Aug 29, 2005

by XyloJW

laymil posted:

They aren't. They're just playing queer eye for the straight biker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AkrisD
Sep 2, 2004
olololol '04 newb hurrrrrrr

laymil posted:

They're not really mismatched, but the lines seem off. The top of the fairings and the tank have a sort of body line that seems cut off pretty bad with the change in paint. I understand the reasoning behind it, but I still wanted to see if it could be altered somehow. This is a pretty quick and dirty job, but it shows what seems off with the paint.

Only registered members can see post attachments!