Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

jujube posted:

Thanks for the advice, I'm gonna try out some more helmets and see which Arai, Shoei or Suomy fits me best. Not gonna bother with HJC's this time, my current one gives me really fruity helmet hair :shobon:

Really, with the big helmet makers, you can't go wrong with any of the high end ones, they're all quality helmets.

Arai, Suomy, Shark, Shoei, and high end AGV stuff is all fantastic when it comes to helmets. If you buy those, you can count on being well protected...comfort, venting, shield design, safety certs, etc, all of that really comes down to personal preference.

I've crashed the hell out of my Suomy without a concussion despite smashing the poo poo out of my head, I can get them for cheap from a friend who's a distributer, I like the BSI cert, they're light, comfortable, easy to get visors for, and high quality in general. They've got their downsides, mainly that they're loud, visor changing is annoying until you get the hang of it, and they're somewhat pricy, but I really love mine.

Hilarious helmet hair can be avoided with bandanna or the like under your helmet. I just don't give a poo poo. :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Pledge Driver
Nov 10, 2004

Z3n posted:

Hilarious helmet hair can be avoided with bandanna or the like under your helmet. I just don't give a poo poo. :shobon:

I bought a hat that I keep in my tank bag so I don't look as stupid.

MourningGlory
Sep 26, 2005

Heaven knows we'll soon be dust.
College Slice

jujube posted:

Shoei XR-1000
I wore this helmet (although in the US it's called the RF-1000) for a while and it's really good. It wasn't too heavy, flowed a decent amount of air, was reasonably quiet and the visor is super easy to pop on and off. I ended up selling it to my father because it fit him better than me and I replaced it with a Shoei X-11, which is an even better helmet in pretty much every way. However, I would go back to a RF-1000 without complaining. The X-11 flows a lot more air through it than the RF-1000, which is important to me because I'm a fat, sweaty pig and it can get pretty hot in Philly in the summer.

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003

jujube posted:

Since my current HJC is pretty much disintegrating after 2.75 years, it's time for a new helmet.

I've narrowed it down to these:

Suomy Spec 1R
Arai Chaser or ???
Shoei XR-1000
HJC ??? (oh god too many models to chose from)
Held ??? (heard some good things about this brand, I mean, I read it in some paper :shobon:)

Above helmets are around 300 euro's without the cute graphics. Also, what's the deal with pinlock visors? Gimmick or genuinely handy?

A breath box may be just as good a substitute as a pinlock system. I know that it fixed fogging issues in my HJC nicely.

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good

Z3n posted:

Really, with the big helmet makers, you can't go wrong with any of the high end ones, they're all quality helmets.

Arai, Suomy, Shark, Shoei, and high end AGV stuff is all fantastic when it comes to helmets. If you buy those, you can count on being well protected...comfort, venting, shield design, safety certs, etc, all of that really comes down to personal preference.

Are Scorpion helmets not very good? I've had my eye on the EXO-1000 (the one with the built in visor so you don't have to gently caress with shields). I like the look and styling and the fact that you don't have to lug around an extra visor if it goes from day to dark. I have work late some nights and if I don't have a spare clear visor on me the ride home can be weird. Are Scorpions bad helmets or is it that they're just not very popular/overlooked?
Helmet in question: http://www.newenough.com/helmets_eyewear/closed_face/scorpion/exo_1000_matte_metallic_motorcycle_helmet.html

OrangeFurious
Oct 14, 2005

Ce n'est pas une St. Furious.
On the topic of helmets, I've picked up a Caberg Trip. The reviewers loved it, and with the exception of it being a little tight against my chin I'm pleased with it. Highly rated modular with minimal noise for under $200.

Trick is, the Caberg isn't sold in the US. It's EU rated, but not DOT. Anybody know the main differences?

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

I've become disenchanted with the EXO-700 after having 2 for a couple of years. General build quality just isn't that great. It flows a ton of air, but leaks air through the visor or elsewhere onto your face, has been garbage in rain (it fogs anyway, which makes you open the visor, which opens too far and blinds you, and starts water running down the inside, and then you're hosed and have to wipe the thing constantly).

I tried one of those respro anti fog things and it basically funneled the torrent of air that comes through the chin in the scorpion, even with the aero-skirt, right at my eyes. And fogged anyway. Quest for the perfect all weather helmet setup continues!

I guess when I figure I got each 700 for just over $100... I can't complain. There isn't a better value than an EXO on closeout.

Infinotize fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Mar 31, 2009

discostu
Feb 8, 2008
Can anyone tell me where to buy this helmet?

I stole it off the brochure from the bmw hp2 megamoto rider.

Drunk Pledge Driver
Nov 10, 2004

Infinotize posted:

I've become disenchanted with the EXO-700 after having 2 for a couple of years. General build quality just isn't that great. It flows a ton of air, but leaks air through the visor or elsewhere onto your face, has been garbage in rain (it fogs anyway, which makes you open the visor, which opens too far and blinds you, and starts water running down the inside, and then you're hosed and have to wipe the thing constantly).

I tried one of those respro anti fog things and it basically funneled the torrent of air that comes through the chin in the scorpion, even with the aero-skirt, right at my eyes. And fogged anyway. Quest for the perfect all weather helmet setup continues!

I guess when I figure I got each 700 for just over $100... I can't complain. There isn't a better value than an EXO on closeout.

In my searches the best values are the Sparx S-07. It's just over $100 and the special edition ones come with a dark smoke visor. I'm currently using this one and it has been great. For $200, you can find the Bell Star (Recoil color schemes) for $200 on motorcyclecloseouts.com, this helmet retails for $550 and has gotten great reviews. I haven't actually worn one of these though, so the recommendation is based solely on reviews.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

BotchedLobotomy posted:

Are Scorpion helmets not very good? I've had my eye on the EXO-1000 (the one with the built in visor so you don't have to gently caress with shields). I like the look and styling and the fact that you don't have to lug around an extra visor if it goes from day to dark. I have work late some nights and if I don't have a spare clear visor on me the ride home can be weird. Are Scorpions bad helmets or is it that they're just not very popular/overlooked?
Helmet in question: http://www.newenough.com/helmets_eyewear/closed_face/scorpion/exo_1000_matte_metallic_motorcycle_helmet.html

Scorpions are good entry/midrange helmets, cheap, and perfect for people who aren't sure if they're going to be riding for a long time. Some people really like theirs, but the general concensus tends towards "decent helmets, but break down too quickly and have a lot of minor flaws that the better helmets don't have".

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003

discostu posted:

Looks like a motocross helmet...
Maybe check in one of the dirt threads? Doesn't seem to match anything on Newenough or motorcyclecloseouts.

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.

discostu posted:

From BMW!
Page '18'.

http://www.motorcycles.bmw.com.au/common_content/motorcycles/assorted_content/Rider/June08/BMWMotorrad_helmets.pdf

discostu
Feb 8, 2008

BMW doesn't sell it's helmets in the US for liability reasons. :argh:

slowspeedracer
Oct 6, 2007

After asking about thoughts on the Shark RSR2 I picked one up after finishing my skills test for my license. The other helmets I compared were the Arai's and Shoei but the Shark fit the best.

We ended up doing about 60 miles in 50 degree weather and it was comfortable, it did not fog and quiet. Shake and lift were all but eliminated and it weighed about 1/2 as much as the old one. Peripheral vision is very good and it comes with tear-offs so I can look like a bad rear end on my commute. My only complaint is the giant loving dragon graphic, but the price was right and I can always paint it...

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good

discostu posted:

This guy is an advrider who will import the helmet for but it'll be expensive. Also the helmet is not DOT approved.

http://www.adventureonwheels-sg.com/home.aspx

phishnut
Apr 28, 2002

HO HO HO
Just as a heads up, webBikeWorld is having a spring sale to clear out all of their reviewed gear: http://www.webbikeworld.com/sale/

It's all used I guess, but it's "excellent, like brand-new condition, used only for photographs or limited evaluations." They have tons of helmets, jackets, pants, a pair of boots, heated gear, and some gloves... too bad none of it fits me. :)

Example pricing: Hurt Schizo Gloves retailing for 300 bucks are going for $120 shipped. Gaerne GRS boots retailing for $300 are going for $190 shipped.

edit. Somehow they added and then sold the Xena XX14 while I wasn't looking, and I really wanted that stupid disc lock... :mad:

phishnut fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Apr 5, 2009

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE
I've probably mentioned it a few times but I love my Scorpion EXO700. I got it 3 years ago, and haven't had any problems except it's a bit on the heavy side. I don't mind though it's building up my neck muscles :)

As far as fogging is concerned, the stock clear visor has an anti-fog coating that is still working awesome for me after 3 years. My HJC was poo poo and would fog in seconds. The extra smoked visor I got doesn't have the anti-fog however it doesn't need it.

As for the wind noise, the wind was really bad when I first got my exo700, but I got the aero flap thing for the chin and I don't have any problems.

I'm looking to upgrade to an EXO-1000 soon, mainly for the built in sunshade--even though it takes me about 15 seconds to swap visors.

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
I exist onl because of Parias'
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.
Edit DOH wrong thread

MrZig fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Apr 4, 2009

Sick_Nukes
Aug 10, 2004
Should I be worried about this Alpinestars back protector http://www.newenough.com/armor/back_protector_installs_in_apparel/alpinestars/rc_back_protector.html I recently got a set of SG1 leathers and just ordered a back protector to fit in it but I'm kind of concerned that it's only $30 when most are in the $80+ range. I would rather not snap my spine. It's newenough so I can always return it if I get it and it feels flimsy.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

aventari posted:

As for the wind noise, the wind was really bad when I first got my exo700, but I got the aero flap thing for the chin and I don't have any problems.

drat. My days of stuffing paper towels/napkins between my chin and the helmet to keep cold air out is over. I really like my exo700.

sklnd
Nov 26, 2007

NOT A TRACTOR

blugu64 posted:

drat. My days of stuffing paper towels/napkins between my chin and the helmet to keep cold air out is over. I really like my exo700.

I was being lazy and doing nothing with my Exo400. Noted.

Entreri
Nov 8, 2005

While we're requesting helmets:

Click here for the full 640x427 image.

It's from a gallery on the Kawasaki website, but it's not for sale in their store and I can't seem to find it on any of the other gear stores.

Does anyone know where I can buy one?

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
http://store.dsrpowersports.com/hjcackanihe.html

That it? :)

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I'm looking for a new 'cruiser' jacket.

Arlen Ness has a couple that I like:

Any other suggestions?

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Bob Morales posted:

Arlen Ness has a couple that I like:

I just have to say that I hate when gear makers put letters and logos all over their jackets. This jacket would look killer without the drat letters all over it.

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

Rocco sez: Oh man, what a bummer. Woof.

8ender posted:

I just have to say that I hate when gear makers put letters and logos all over their jackets. This jacket would look killer without the drat letters all over it.

Gotta agree with this statement.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

8ender posted:

The "Live on the edge" poo poo is kind of lame, but I don't mind most logos.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
I took my Joe Rocket jacket to the tailors and had those disgusting logos removed and replaced with an 'ROK' patch and an SA Pig Relay patch. It actually looks decent now.

AngryGuy
Sep 30, 2008

Sick_Nukes posted:

Should I be worried about this Alpinestars back protector http://www.newenough.com/armor/back_protector_installs_in_apparel/alpinestars/rc_back_protector.html I recently got a set of SG1 leathers and just ordered a back protector to fit in it but I'm kind of concerned that it's only $30 when most are in the $80+ range. I would rather not snap my spine. It's newenough so I can always return it if I get it and it feels flimsy.

Those things offer really minimal protection but they aren't terrible.

If you want really good spine protection, you need to get a separate back protector like the A* Bionic Back Protector. I personally use the Knox Contour Back Protector in my SG-1 and I like it very much.

TheTrend
Feb 4, 2005
I have a descriminating toe

slowspeedracer posted:

paint over a duhamel helmet

If you paint over a duhamel helmet, i swear to god i will track you down and murder you and your family.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug
Got new boots today.

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

Jesus Christ, I feel like a cyborg wearing these things. (Tech 7 Supermoto boots)

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
Cheapo leather track suit: http://www.newenough.com/protective_apparel/leather_racing_suits/fieldsheer/radar_two_piece_motorcycle_race_suit.html

Is there any reason I should NOT buy this for the occasional track day?

bung
Dec 14, 2004

MrKatharsis posted:

Cheapo leather track suit: http://www.newenough.com/protective_apparel/leather_racing_suits/fieldsheer/radar_two_piece_motorcycle_race_suit.html

Is there any reason I should NOT buy this for the occasional track day?

If you just need it for the occasional trackday, get the one piece.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Any opinions on these boots? They're kinda expensive, but I tried on a pair at Cycle Gear and I really like the closure system. You just slip them on, push in the knob on the back, and turn it until they're tight. Fast and really easy to put on. The price is the only thing stopping me from just ordering a pair.

Any other suggestions for shorter boots like these? I can indeed tie my own shoes, so traditionally laced options are welcome too. I just liked these because of how quickly I could throw them on, and how nice and snug they were.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

bung posted:

If you just need it for the occasional trackday, get the one piece.

Does the one-piece have better protection? I live in Florida and I'd like to be able to partially disrobe between races. This is all brand new to me.

MourningGlory
Sep 26, 2005

Heaven knows we'll soon be dust.
College Slice

sirbeefalot posted:

Any opinions on these boots?
I know it's a matter of compromise for real world riding and personal taste, but personally I would go for a proper boot that could provide shin and achilles tendon protection. There are plenty of options that are in the same price range and are easy to get on/off quickly and also don't look like you're doing Power Rangers cosplay.

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

Ok, I've made the mistake enough times that I'm asking for help now.

I now have two pairs of textile pants that are utter poo poo, one for being essentially glorified jeans (but they have red streaks, so they're even more obnoxious) and the other simply has no crotch room, so I can't spread my legs on my seat, which means I can't hold the bike up if I wear them.

Does anyone know of some good riding pants (probably textile given the price range) that will be ~$100, and preferably under? Black would be the best color, but a small dash of red would be fine since it fits the bike.

EDIT: I can do a waist between 32-34. I'm a 32 when I don't eat, so I'd say I'm actually dead on at 33. I'm also 5'8", so I guess a length between 28-31 should be fine if sites ever get so specific.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

MrKatharsis posted:

Does the one-piece have better protection? I live in Florida and I'd like to be able to partially disrobe between races. This is all brand new to me.

The one piece is nice because should you crash and slide on your back, there's no chance of the zipper seperating. You can still just pull the top off and leave it hanging around your waist between races.

I'm not a big fan of non over the ankle boots, too much possibility of them coming off in an accident. My daytonas were expensive as hell but are comfortable enough to wear in pretty much all situations.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

MrKatharsis posted:

You will melt in a non-perforated setup. Most guys just unzip the suit down to their waist. 1 piece suits are in general more comfortable once you get into them because you don't have a bunch of overlap around the waist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?

God-damned Pilates posted:

Does anyone know of some good riding pants

There are these:
http://www.newenough.com/protective_apparel/textile_jackets_and_pants/cortech_by_tour_master/mod_denim_motorcycle_pants.html

It's too bad they are only blue and kinda crappy looking, otherwise I'd just get 3 or 4 pairs.

I have a couple pairs of non-armoured "riding jeans", so I just bought the $30 alpine knee guards to slip under them. The pants have to be a little loose to make it work, though. I'd like to get these, too:
http://www.kneedraggers.com/details/Dainese_Fantan_Textile_Pants--614183.html