Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

canned_fruit posted:

Wow just read that chapter and it explains so much. I was so confused with the whole Caska rape thing because before then Griffith had actually seemed like a good person, just very ambitious. That chapter shows that he actually changed when becoming Femto - absorbing the collective consciousness of humanity.
At least that's my take on it.

The entire first arc of Berserk is essentially Griffith compromising his morals and inhibitions one at a time and dragging everyone around him down with him, with Guts being the one in the best position to see it happening. (Particularly the whole bit with the assassination.)

I don't think the Eclipse itself caused any changes in Griffith's personality that his own ambition, followed by torture and seeing his dream crushed didn't already take care of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Swedish Nice Boy
Jun 21, 2007

by angerbeet
All the characters are just way, way hosed up and have been getting more and more hosed up with every chapter. End of story.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Cbouncerrun posted:

Yeah, he probably would've raped Caska before if it wouldn't damage his reputation with her or the others.

That's less the thing, he wasn't openly malicious like that, at the point he tried it, he was so broken down that he didn't care. He was... amoral more then immoral.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

Zorak posted:

That's less the thing, he wasn't openly malicious like that, at the point he tried it, he was so broken down that he didn't care. He was... amoral more then immoral.

Don't forget that she also gave up her several year pursuit of his affection to go get boned by someone who both defeated him and was seen as another directionless subordinate. He really hated being beneath anyone in any way.

Mmmmm, well thought out character development.

Hellbunny
Dec 24, 2008

I'm not bad, I'm just misunderstood.

Bocom posted:

A friend of mine is a huge fan of Berserk. After reading the OP, I've decided that I've been missing something.

Something awesome. I wonder where I can buy the volumes in Sweden, or any shop that ships to Sweden... Any suggestions?

Where do you live? You can get the volumes in pretty much any decent comic-book store in any major city in Sweden.

L.E. Cheetah
Aug 7, 2007

Andrigaar posted:

was seen as another directionless subordinate.

This doesn't describe the feelings Griffith had towards Guts at all.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

L.E. Cheetah posted:

This doesn't describe the feelings Griffith had towards Guts at all.

I don't know - the discussion he had with Charlotte (which Guts overheard) seemed to suggest that that's exactly how he felt towards him, at least until Guts actually tried to break away from him.

EDIT: To clarify, he considered Guts his best and most trusted soldier, but he was still just a soldier, not an actual friend.

Bocom
Apr 3, 2009

No alibi
No justice
No dream
No hope

Hellbunny posted:

Where do you live? You can get the volumes in pretty much any decent comic-book store in any major city in Sweden.

The largest city that's close to me is Karlstad. There aren't any notable comic-book store in Karlstad (as far as I know), but I know that some of the book stores sells manga, so I might not be completely out of luck. I'll check out the book stores there on Monday to see if they stock any Berserk. If they do, then I'll probably buy a (or few) volume(s), if I have enough money by then that is.

RipVTide
Jul 28, 2002

Run you jerk with an EYE FOR QUALITY you! Run!
Nap Ghost

Bocom posted:

The largest city that's close to me is Karlstad. There aren't any notable comic-book store in Karlstad (as far as I know), but I know that some of the book stores sells manga, so I might not be completely out of luck. I'll check out the book stores there on Monday to see if they stock any Berserk. If they do, then I'll probably buy a (or few) volume(s), if I have enough money by then that is.

From what I recall, you're gonna want to check one of the sci-fi/fantasy specific bookstores, and that's gonna be Stockholm or Gothenburg, or one of the Univ cities.

Bocom
Apr 3, 2009

No alibi
No justice
No dream
No hope

RipVTide posted:

From what I recall, you're gonna want to check one of the sci-fi/fantasy specific bookstores, and that's gonna be Stockholm or Gothenburg, or one of the Univ cities.

I'm gonna assume Univ means University (correct me if I'm wrong), and while there is a University in Karlstad, there are no specific book-stores there. Although, there is one fantasy and roleplaying specific store. I could check that store out too (if they haven't closed that shop or something that is).

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I don't know - the discussion he had with Charlotte (which Guts overheard) seemed to suggest that that's exactly how he felt towards him, at least until Guts actually tried to break away from him.

EDIT: To clarify, he considered Guts his best and most trusted soldier, but he was still just a soldier, not an actual friend.

I think Griffith's big problem was that he was starting to like Guts as a friend, something he didn't want to have because it would mean someone was his equal and could disrupt his ambitions.

ANIME AKBAR
Jan 25, 2007

afu~
can I get a link to the lost chapter? I can't find it anywhere, except for crappy youtube versions which I hate watching.

Cronus
Mar 9, 2003

Hello beautiful.
This...is gonna get gross.

ANIME AKBAR posted:

can I get a link to the lost chapter? I can't find it anywhere, except for crappy youtube versions which I hate watching.

Search for it on SK.net and you should find it I think, buried in the archives.

If you want a translation of it, hit up https://www.skullknight.net/idea

Hellbunny
Dec 24, 2008

I'm not bad, I'm just misunderstood.

Bocom posted:

I'm gonna assume Univ means University (correct me if I'm wrong), and while there is a University in Karlstad, there are no specific book-stores there. Although, there is one fantasy and roleplaying specific store. I could check that store out too (if they haven't closed that shop or something that is).

Check out this site to while you're at it, they can send all avalible volumes to you.

https://www.sfbok.se

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

tsob posted:

I think Griffith's big problem was that he was starting to like Guts as a friend, something he didn't want to have because it would mean someone was his equal and could disrupt his ambitions.

Also he basically harped on about beating Guts when they were just barely teenagers. Then it all went to poo poo when he couldn't recreate the scenario as an adult and Guts found his independence outside of Griffith's dream.

tsob posted:

Been too long since I read or watched it to remember clearly. If new chapters were on the way I'd re-read the first 30-whatever volumes...:toughguy:

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

A new chapter is coming this month after all.

Chapter 302 will be released on the 24th of April.

No, I am not lying. That would be very cruel at this point.

Strabo4
Jun 1, 2007

Oh god, I'm 'sperging all
over this thread too!

Mr. Deathy posted:

Each page will have a glorious spread of Griffith-san :swoon:

This manga will never finish :(

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

Strabo4 posted:

Each page will have a glorious spread of Griffith-san :swoon:

This manga will never finish :(

What, you don't trust the fan community to make at least one continuation project that horribly ends the comic with crappy art and worse dialogue?

The internet likes to correct the "mistakes" of creators.

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
You know I really have to thank this thread for getting me into this series, honestly one of the most entertaining comics I've read in quite awhile. It's nice that Miura seems at least a little better then George R.R. Martin with the slowness/blueballs.

Doloen
Dec 18, 2004
Berserk is pretty much the only Manga I read. A Song of Ice and Fire is pretty much the only fantasy series I read. :(

Bocom
Apr 3, 2009

No alibi
No justice
No dream
No hope

Hellbunny posted:

Check out this site to while you're at it, they can send all avalible volumes to you.

https://www.sfbok.se

Oh yeah, I know about that store. I wish I had one near me, but since you can order stuff online from them, it doesn't matter. It's just a shame that a lot of the starter volumes are out-of-stock in their post order warehouse. :(

Thanks for reminding me though. :)

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Franky House seems to have scanlated the latest chapter already. It's on mangahelpers.

That was totally not worth the wait. The only thing noteworthy about this chapter is that we're getting another one on May 8th.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
The only noteworthy thing about any of the last 2 years or so of chapters has been the release date of the next one from what I can gather reading this thread.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Dorito Jesus posted:

Franky House seems to have scanlated the latest chapter already. It's on mangahelpers.

That was totally not worth the wait. The only thing noteworthy about this chapter is that we're getting another one on May 8th.

But is there a spread of Griffith????

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

Dorito Jesus posted:

Uh. Berserk chapters aren't delayed to make them any more special.

Miura's breaks are regular and when he comes back it's just a normal chapter. Don't get your hopes up for some reason for something mindblowing.

The Scanlation is retarded for some reason they have every page in spread form and then split up into separate pages afterwards for some retarded reason.

Anyway the entire chapter is spreads basically and there's no dialogue but Griffith riding on Zodd's back is kinda cool. Reminds me of when Guts did it.

Mr. Deathy fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Apr 22, 2009

canned_fruit
Feb 4, 2008

Koalas March posted:

But is there a spread of Griffith????
Hahaha "is there a spread of Griffith?" he asks. Come on man, you know how it works by now.

Wow May 8th that's pretty close. Hopefully there'll actually be dialogue with that one. I think Miura gets off to drawing beautiful, epic pictures and then making people wait a year for the next chapter. Some sort of God complex or something.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Actually, what's possibly happening is Miura is spending months drawing several chapters worth of these battle chapters and then releasing the finished ones in quick order. Then he has to spend several more months working on the next few as they're so time consuming.

Maybe once this battle is done and the need for such time consuming drawing is over he'll fall back in to a more reasonable schedule.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

tsob posted:

The only noteworthy thing about any of the last 2 years or so of chapters has been the release date of the next one from what I can gather reading this thread.

No, there's another noteworthy element: we all think he's going to die of something before he's done, or even gets the finale really started.

Mr. Deathy
Aug 3, 2003

tsob posted:

Actually, what's possibly happening is Miura is spending months drawing several chapters worth of these battle chapters and then releasing the finished ones in quick order. Then he has to spend several more months working on the next few as they're so time consuming.

Maybe once this battle is done and the need for such time consuming drawing is over he'll fall back in to a more reasonable schedule.

Except he'll end up drawing Elfheim or whatever in ridiculous detail.

Ghost of Babyhead
Jun 28, 2008
Grimey Drawer

Mr. Deathy posted:

Except he'll end up drawing Elfheim or whatever in ridiculous detail.

Hopefully Elfhelm isn't full of thatched roofs and cobbled streets, or we'll be spending another few years there.:ohdear:

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:

Ghost of Babyhead posted:

Hopefully Elfhelm isn't full of thatched roofs and cobbled streets, or we'll be spending another few years there.:ohdear:

plus colossal trees since elves love them. oh and ferns and moss and bugs...

ArchDemon
Jan 2, 2004

People with emotional and trust issues
really piss me off.

My God...it's full of faces.

also, i'd pay good money for a colored, oil on canvas version of that last page of the emperor.

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib
Man, I could sure go for some berserker armor scenes right about now...

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Deathy posted:

A link for the lazy.

More of the same I suppose. I guess we can hope that once Godzilla is taken down we'll go follow Guts for a while and move the Elfheim plot along some.

I Feel Every Flower That is Screaming to Consume You

Nubian Robodin
Jan 20, 2005
Your best friend objectifies children and you lied for him about it.

fuck you, you disgusting idiot.
What the gently caress is that thing on Zod's wing?

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Homestuck is a true work of art surpassing all of Shakespeare's works.

Nubian Robodin posted:

What the gently caress is that thing on Zod's wing?

That would be the Assassin dude, Rakshas.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
I thought it was some kind of ninja behelit or something, am I completely blanking on what it really is? I don't remember ever seeing it before but it could have been years ago at this point MURIA :argh:

\/\/\/ No there's a clear zoom in to the underside of one of Zodd's wings where this little guy is perched somehow, implying he's an unknown stowaway. How he got there (and in my case who the hell he is) remains to be seen!

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Apr 28, 2009

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

sephiroth669 posted:

I thought it was some kind of ninja behelit or something, am I completely blanking on what it really is? I don't remember ever seeing it before but it could have been years ago at this point MURIA :argh:

I thought that was on the Emperor? It would make sense, he's not a member of the Godhand, but he doesn't really strike me as a regular Apostle either.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Popo posted:

That would be the Assassin dude, Rakshas.

Rakshas is sort of just chillin' there, watching. He's likely not an Apostle, though who knows. We'll see!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I thought that was on the Emperor? It would make sense, he's not a member of the Godhand, but he doesn't really strike me as a regular Apostle either.

But isn't he driven by pure instinct right now? I don't think he'd even notice Griffith/Zod until he's attacked.