Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

bouyancy posted:

I stumbled across this at work a while back. Somebody decided to be clever and make a data structure that could read any value from a bunch of different tables and queries. The setRow method is called on each row returned from a query. And they wonder why the appliction runs slowly.

code:
public class Row {

public static int USERNAME = 0;
    public static int USER_PHONE = 1;
    public static int USER_DOB = 2;

public void setRow(ResultSet result) {
        try { values[Row.USERNAME] = result.getString("username")} catch (Exception ignored) {}
        try { values[Row.USER_PHONE] = result.getString("user_phone")} catch (Exception ignored) {}
        try { values[Row.USER_DOB] = result.getString("user_dob")} catch (Exception ignored) {}

continues like this for about 300 lines
    }

}
So if the result set is invalid, it throws and catches three hundred exceptions?

The punishment should fit the crime. Throw three hundred baseballs at him, and then tell him that's how the computer feels after running that code.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bouyancy
Apr 17, 2003

Zemyla posted:

So if the result set is invalid, it throws and catches three hundred exceptions?

The punishment should fit the crime. Throw three hundred baseballs at him, and then tell him that's how the computer feels after running that code.

Exactly but what is worse is that in Java the ResultSet throws an exception if you try to read from a column that wasn't selected in the query. So if you use this on a query that only selects a couple columns then it will throw and catch about three hundred exceptions for each row returned.

BigRedDot
Mar 6, 2008

bouyancy posted:

Exactly but what is worse is that in Java the ResultSet throws an exception if you try to read from a column that wasn't selected in the query. So if you use this on a query that only selects a couple columns then it will throw and catch about three hundred exceptions for each row returned.
That is some sloppy laziness right there. Seriously, with some hard work and dedication you ought to be able to improve that number to three thousand exceptions per row! Come on, get to it!

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[

BigRedDot posted:

That is some sloppy laziness right there. Seriously, with some hard work and dedication you ought to be able to improve that number to over nine thousand exceptions per row! Come on, get to it!

I really shouldn't have...

mr_jim
Oct 30, 2006

OUT OF THE DARK

A friend just told me about a guy he works with who prefaces every function name with his user name, as in:

code:
userName_funcName();

POKEMAN SAM
Jul 8, 2004

mr_jim posted:

A friend just told me about a guy he works with who prefaces every function name with his user name, as in:

code:
userName_funcName();

code ownership baby

Triple Tech
Jul 28, 2006

So what, are you quitting to join Homo Explosion?
my function is more optimized than your function, good thing we namespaced them, use mine

Spell
Nov 20, 2000

Eat your vegetables or you'll DIE!
That's great when you want to call a function you have to remember who wrote it. Then you know who to blame when it fails.

blorpy
Jan 5, 2005

mr_jim posted:

code:
userName_funcName();

maybe he just saw all those examples using myFunc and decided to personalize it a bit further :haw:

mr_jim
Oct 30, 2006

OUT OF THE DARK

Spell posted:

That's great when you want to call a function you have to remember who wrote it. Then you know who to blame when it fails.

I told my friend that it was so he'd know who to punch in the face for not knowing about the "blame" feature of most SCMs.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
code:
% grep -RP "\Wsome_flag\W" *
hal/driver.c:extern int some_flag;
hal/driver.c:if(some_flag == FALSE)
hal/driver.c:if(some_flag == FALSE) 
device.c:int some_flag = FALSE;
device.c:some_flag = FALSE;
device.c:some_flag = FALSE;
device.c:some_flag = TRUE;
Those two ifs should test for TRUE and FALSE, so there's a bug.

But also:
The flag is defined and manipulated, but never tested, in device.c.
It is declared extern and tested, but never manipulated, in driver.c.

TSDK
Nov 24, 2003

I got a wooden uploading this one

Wheany posted:

But also:
The flag is defined and manipulated, but never tested, in device.c.
It is declared extern and tested, but never manipulated, in driver.c.
Why would you think this is a coding horror? Sure, it's a bit of an old-school way to get a status from a module, but then you are working in C.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

TSDK posted:

Why would you think this is a coding horror? Sure, it's a bit of an old-school way to get a status from a module, but then you are working in C.

Well, it doesn't really show from those lines, but there is no need for the flag to even exist in device.c. It pretty much goes like this:
code:
/* device.c */
    /* ... */
    some_flag = TRUE;
    make_device_status_true();
    /* ... */

/* driver.c */
/* ... */
make_device_status_true()
{
    if(some_flag == FALSE)
    {
        foo_device_set_status(TRUE);
    }
}
/* ... */

ih8ualot
May 20, 2004
I like turkey and ham sandwiches
I'm in an AI group, writing an agent that can solve Minesweeper in Python.
code:
rowcount = 0
colcount = 0
while (rowcount < board.rows):
    colcount = 0
    while (colcount < board.cols):

colcount = colcount + 1

rowcount = rowcount + 1

I mean, I guess that's a way to do it...

ih8ualot fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Apr 8, 2009

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

Wheany posted:

Well, it doesn't really show from those lines, but there is no need for the flag to even exist in device.c.

That's still not much of a horror; it just looks like useless cruft that's accumulated over many revisions.

To contribute, I just came across some code I wrote 6 months ago....

code:
  s curData=$$get(recId,700,date)
  s %=$p(curData,c10,1),$p(%,c9,1)=itm,itm=itm-$p(%,c9,2)+$p(%,c9,3),$p(curData,c10,1)=%
  s %=$p(curData,c10,2),$p(%,c9,1)=amt,amt=$$addAmount($$subtractAmount(amt,$p(%,c9,2)),$p(%,c9,3)),$p(curData,c10,2)=%
  s %=$p(curData,c10,3),$p(%,c9,1)=grp,grp=grp-$p(%,c9,2)+$p(%,c9,3),$p(curData,c10,3)=%
  s %=$$put(recId,700,date,curData)
  f  s tab=$o(itm(tab)) q:tab=""  d
  . s curData=$$get(recId,700,date,tab)
  . s %=$p(curData,c10,1),$p(%,c9,1)=itm(tab),itm(tab)=itm(tab)-$p(%,c9,2)+$p(%,c9,3),$p(curData,c10,1)=%
  . s %=$p(curData,c10,2),$p(%,c9,1)=amt(tab),amt(tab)=$$addAmount($$subtractAmount(amt(tab),$p(%,c9,2)),$p(%,c9,3)),$p(curData,c10,2)=%
  . s %=$p(curData,c10,3),$p(%,c9,1)=grp(tab),grp(tab)=grp(tab)-$p(%,c9,2)+$p(%,c9,3),$p(curData,c10,3)=%
  . s %=$$put(recId,700,date,tab,curData)
  q

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
lol you work at Epic Systems. :pwn:

dagard
Mar 31, 2005
Todays' WTF moment, looking at some PHP login validation code written by a now long-gone coworker:

code:
setcookie ( "user", $_POST[user] );
setcookie ( "pass", $_POST[pass] );
$db = open_db( $db_login[host], $db_login[user], $db_login[pwd], $db_login[table] );
$result = db_query("SELECT * FROM perms where user = '$_POST[user]'", $db);
if (mysql_num_rows($result) != '0') {
 setcookie ( "perms", mysql_result($result, 0, groups));
 header("Location: [url]http://server/app/main.php[/url]");
}

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...
Haha, I'm not sure what the bigger WTF is, the fact that you store the user/pass unencrypted in the cookie (thus sending it over the wire every time you request a page) or the blatant SQL injection.

dagard
Mar 31, 2005

Ryouga Inverse posted:

Haha, I'm not sure what the bigger WTF is, the fact that you store the user/pass unencrypted in the cookie (thus sending it over the wire every time you request a page) or the blatant SQL injection.

Or that we don't even CHECK the password, don't forget that.

ExileStrife
Sep 12, 2004

Happy birthday to you!
Happy birthday to you!

dagard posted:

THAT, and also that your 'permissions' are stored in a client side cookie.

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT
Oct 12, 2008

this is what happens when you take UI design away from engineers and give it to a bunch of hipster art student "designers"

dagard posted:

If the password is incorrect, won't it fail to connect to the database? It looks like the open_db() procedure uses the auth parameters in POST to connect :psyduck:

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[

Janin posted:

If the password is incorrect, won't it fail to connect to the database? It looks like the open_db() procedure uses the auth parameters in POST to connect :psyduck:

Nah.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
I keep finding this idiom lying around:
code:
LocalPlace *plp = NULL;
try {
	plp = new LocalPlace;
}
catch (...) {
	plp = NULL;	//lint !e423 Creation of memory leak in assignment
}
LocalPlace::LocalPlace(void) is trivial. Naturally, plp will be compared to NULL later on down the line to see if it allocated successfully.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

GrumpyDoctor posted:

I keep finding this idiom lying around:
code:
LocalPlace *plp = NULL;
try {
	plp = new LocalPlace;
}
catch (...) {
	plp = NULL;	//lint !e423 Creation of memory leak in assignment
}
LocalPlace::LocalPlace(void) is trivial. Naturally, plp will be compared to NULL later on down the line to see if it allocated successfully.

If it weren't for the fact that you're setting to NULL twice, this is completely acceptable and is in fact a recommended thing to do. (Though putting the error handling in the catch statement would be even better.)

Beardless Woman
May 5, 2004

M for Mysterious
code:
if ($line =~ /#/ || length($line) < 2) { #we also ignore any lines that are not right
    #Just a holder place so i don't have to do reverse logic
}
else {
    #print "$line\n";	 #This works right
    push (@servers, $line);		
}
code:
my @logfile = <LOGREAD>;
foreach my $logline ( @logfile) {
   chomp($logline);
   print SENDMAIL "$logline\n ";
}
And this guy's code is actually in production.

Beardless Woman fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Apr 9, 2009

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Beardless Woman posted:

code:

Ah yes, that ancient coding blasphemy. Death to the not operator! All hail empty code blocks! Allah ackbar!

Funking Giblet
Jun 28, 2004

Jiglightful!
code:
//Only Centre map if values set..
if (Latitude > 0.0 && Longitude > 0.0)
{
    CenterGoogleMap();
}
"I can't understand why it won't centre my based on the new coord's I'm giving it"

Simple, but effective.

Lexical Unit
Sep 16, 2003

Avenging Dentist posted:

If it weren't for the fact that you're setting to NULL twice, this is completely acceptable and is in fact a recommended thing to do. (Though putting the error handling in the catch statement would be even better.)
Wouldn't LocalPlace* plp = new (std::nothrow) LocalPlace; be recommended over that code though? Seeing as all they seem to want to do is to set the pointer to NULL if new fails... Also, couldn't the catch (...) be masking any exceptions that LocalPlace's constructor might throw?

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...

pokeyman posted:

Ah yes, that ancient coding blasphemy. Death to the not operator! All hail empty code blocks! Allah ackbar!

He's using Perl (or Ruby) too, so he doesn't even have to use the not operator - unless will work just as well.

dancavallaro
Sep 10, 2006
My title sucks

pokeyman posted:

Apparently "holder place" is the new "placeholder".

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Lexical Unit posted:

Wouldn't LocalPlace* plp = new (std::nothrow) LocalPlace; be recommended over that code though? Seeing as all they seem to want to do is to set the pointer to NULL if new fails... Also, couldn't the catch (...) be masking any exceptions that LocalPlace's constructor might throw?

You can do it however you want. It's not a coding horror to check for memory allocation failure. Worst-case scenario, it's slightly more verbose than necessary.

Kidane
Dec 15, 2004

DANGER TO MANIFOLD

Beardless Woman posted:

code:
if ($line =~ /#/ || length($line) < 2) { #we also ignore any lines that are not right
}
else {
    push (@servers, $line);		
}
code:
my @logfile = <LOGREAD>;
foreach my $logline ( @logfile) {
   chomp($logline);
   print SENDMAIL "$logline\n ";
}
And this guy's code is actually in production.

Hahahaha, I hadn't seen the first one, that's awesome. What the hell is reverse logic? Using !~ instead?

POKEMAN SAM
Jul 8, 2004

Kidane posted:

Hahahaha, I hadn't seen the first one, that's awesome. What the hell is reverse logic? Using !~ instead?

In C I'd wrap the whole thing in () and put !(...)

Roseo
Jun 1, 2000
Forum Veteran

Kidane posted:

Yeah, or unless, as Ryouga said:

code:
unless ($line =~ /#/ || length($line) < 2) { #we also ignore any lines that are not right
    push (@servers, $line);		
}

wrok
Mar 24, 2006

by angerbotSD
code:
index = 0
for row in rows:
    whatever = rows[index]
    index += 1

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

wrok posted:

code:
index = 0
for row in rows:
    whatever = rows[index]
    index += 1

LOL, where the hell did you see that?

TOO SCSI FOR MY CAT
Oct 12, 2008

this is what happens when you take UI design away from engineers and give it to a bunch of hipster art student "designers"

MEAT TREAT posted:

LOL, where the hell did you see that?

It's pretty common in Python code written by people used to C++/Java.

POKEMAN SAM
Jul 8, 2004

Janin posted:

It's pretty common in Python code written by people used to C++/Java.

[citation needed]

evilneanderthal
Mar 5, 2008

After school we'd all go play in his cave, and every once in a while he would eat one of us. It wasn't until later that I found out that Uncle Caveman was a bear.

Janin posted:

It's pretty common in lovely Python code written by people used to C++/Java.

I hope that provides some clarification.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

POKEMAN SAM
Jul 8, 2004

evilneanderthal posted:

I hope that provides some clarification.

I've seen my share of lovely Python code and I've never seen that, sorry.