Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jam2
Jan 15, 2008

With Energy For Mayhem
I'm moving from the Caribbean to Tampa, FL this Fall. I have a BlackBerry Bold. Which provider has the best data and voice services in and around this city? I'm interested in a package that includes unlimited data. My budget is USD$50-$100/month I guess. I don't know the US rates at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Since it's a GSM phone, you're going to go with either AT&T or T-Mobile. You'll also have to see if your phone is unlocked. If it isn't, contact your current carrier to get the information on doing that.

As far as rates go, here's the cheapest minutes + data.

AT&T
Blackberry Data: $30
200 Text messages (optional): $5
450 minutes (cheapest voice): $39.99
Total: $70-75

T-Mobile:
300 minutes (cheapest voice) $39.99
Blackberry Data: $39.99
400 Text messages (optional): $4.99
Total: $80-85

Jam2
Jan 15, 2008

With Energy For Mayhem

Joe Don Baker posted:

Since it's a GSM phone, you're going to go with either AT&T or T-Mobile. You'll also have to see if your phone is unlocked. If it isn't, contact your current carrier to get the information on doing that.

As far as rates go, here's the cheapest minutes + data.

AT&T
Blackberry Data: $30
200 Text messages (optional): $5
450 minutes (cheapest voice): $39.99
Total: $70-75

T-Mobile:
300 minutes (cheapest voice) $39.99
Blackberry Data: $39.99
400 Text messages (optional): $4.99
Total: $80-85

Is there a way for me to find out who has better/faster 3G coverage in the Tampa area?

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

Steinbeck posted:

Uhm, you can use Pandora over 3G no problem on an iPhone.

Basically, the split between winmo and iphone is paying more to not use a pain in the rear end interface. Apple Tax. (Have we figured out the dollars and cents on this? is it $10/mo? $15?)

You're right, that's Skype I'm thinking of.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Jam2 posted:

Is there a way for me to find out who has better/faster 3G coverage in the Tampa area?

Only AT&T's 3G will work with your Bold. Also, I'd get an unlock code from the carrier that you're with so you can use your Bold with AT&T. T-Mobile will still work with your phone, but you'll be using EDGE instead of 3G.

Jam2
Jan 15, 2008

With Energy For Mayhem

Godzilla07 posted:

Only AT&T's 3G will work with your Bold. Also, I'd get an unlock code from the carrier that you're with so you can use your Bold with AT&T. T-Mobile will still work with your phone, but you'll be using EDGE instead of 3G.

3G is way faster, right?

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Jam2 posted:

3G is way faster, right?

Yeah, 3G is fast compared to EDGE. If you have EDGE right now with your Bold (it will say EDGE in the upper right corner if you have only EDGE), then the speeds will be roughly the same on T-Mobile. But with 3G, you may get at least 5 times the speed of average EDGE.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

Joe Don Baker posted:

What? I'm not sure what you're saying.

Fair deal. In other words, you were right.

Jam2
Jan 15, 2008

With Energy For Mayhem

Godzilla07 posted:

Yeah, 3G is fast compared to EDGE. If you have EDGE right now with your Bold (it will say EDGE in the upper right corner if you have only EDGE), then the speeds will be roughly the same on T-Mobile. But with 3G, you may get at least 5 times the speed of average EDGE.

Going AT&T for sure. Would I have to sign a contract or can I just go month to month? What's the easiest way to pay AT&T's bill? Currently, I use my bank's online banking to pay my bmobile cell bill every month. I'd like to maintain this hassle free lifestyle in the future.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Noctone posted:

Fair deal. In other words, you were right.

Ahh I knew that, but for some reason my brain didn't process it correctly for me.

Jam2 posted:

Going AT&T for sure. Would I have to sign a contract or can I just go month to month? What's the easiest way to pay AT&T's bill? Currently, I use my bank's online banking to pay my bmobile cell bill every month. I'd like to maintain this hassle free lifestyle in the future.

If you already own a phone you should be able to go month to month without a problem, just don't let the salesman talk you into a contract. As far as billpay goes, you can setup an online account on AT&T's site. It's pretty useful actually, as you can manage features online. You can setup autopay as well as paperless billing I believe.

Jam2
Jan 15, 2008

With Energy For Mayhem

Joe Don Baker posted:

If you already own a phone you should be able to go month to month without a problem, just don't let the salesman talk you into a contract. As far as billpay goes, you can setup an online account on AT&T's site. It's pretty useful actually, as you can manage features online. You can setup autopay as well as paperless billing I believe.

Nice.

Regressor
Apr 9, 2009
# Country/Provider: USA / AT&T

# Current contract status: Nearing end of year 1 of 2 year contract

# Budget (phone/plan): Need a budget phone (as cheap as possible with the features below)

# Features I know I want: Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, > 1GB internal memory or expandable, nothing else needed.

Hey, guys.

I currently have the first generation Blackberry Curve (GPS, no Wi-Fi). I couldn't stand Edge speed, so I canceled the BB data plan and now only have unlimited text/voice. I'm a college student and usually in range of a fast Wi-Fi connection, so I'm now in the market for a phone with that feature.

Also, my old iPod Nano just crapped up, so I was also looking for a new mp3 player. I was thinking of keeping my phone and just buying an iPod Touch or something, but I'd rather not lug around 2 devices when I can essentially have one (I tend to lose things a lot, too).

I've been looking at a lot of the Nokias and Samsungs, but they're in the $250-$300 range, and was wondering if there's anything cheaper.

Thanks!

TiCK
Jan 1, 2001

I want you to tap me as hard as you can.
Country/Provider: USA, no provider preference. Something that works great in Texas.

Current contract status: None.

Budget (phone/plan): Phone, under $500. Plan, under $150.

Features I know I want: Smartphone with camera, video, GPS, ability to easily transfer data onto/off of the phone. Do phones use USB? I need to be able to drag and drop mp3s onto the phone to use as ringtones or download pictures and video from the phone onto my computer. I want to be able to get a phone that I can put applications on and off at will, for free. I want to easily be able to browse the internet, watch video, read and send email. Looking cool would be a bonus as would a screen that is covered or something so it doesn't get scratched to poo poo in my pocket with my keys.

I don't even know if anything like that exists. I really want a portable computer shaped like a phone, really. Anything that locks me out of it or doesn't let me easily transfer files isn't acceptable.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

TiCK posted:

Country/Provider: USA, no provider preference. Something that works great in Texas.

Current contract status: None.

Budget (phone/plan): Phone, under $500. Plan, under $150.

Features I know I want: Smartphone with camera, video, GPS, ability to easily transfer data onto/off of the phone. Do phones use USB? I need to be able to drag and drop mp3s onto the phone to use as ringtones or download pictures and video from the phone onto my computer. I want to be able to get a phone that I can put applications on and off at will, for free. I want to easily be able to browse the internet, watch video, read and send email. Looking cool would be a bonus as would a screen that is covered or something so it doesn't get scratched to poo poo in my pocket with my keys.

I don't even know if anything like that exists. I really want a portable computer shaped like a phone, really. Anything that locks me out of it or doesn't let me easily transfer files isn't acceptable.

I'd take the Sprint EPRP plan which is $60 for unlimited everything if I recall correctly. More info in the Sprint thread. With Sprint, get a Touch Pro. The Touch Pro is the closest device to "mobile PC in your pocket" on the market. It'll use USB file transfer plus WM can do nearly everything.

TiCK
Jan 1, 2001

I want you to tap me as hard as you can.

Godzilla07 posted:

I'd take the Sprint EPRP plan which is $60 for unlimited everything if I recall correctly. More info in the Sprint thread. With Sprint, get a Touch Pro. The Touch Pro is the closest device to "mobile PC in your pocket" on the market. It'll use USB file transfer plus WM can do nearly everything.

Goddamn, that sounds great. Thanks man.

Steinbeck
Apr 6, 2008

Regressor posted:

# Country/Provider: USA / AT&T

# Current contract status: Nearing end of year 1 of 2 year contract

# Budget (phone/plan): Need a budget phone (as cheap as possible with the features below)

# Features I know I want: Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, > 1GB internal memory or expandable, nothing else needed.

Hey, guys.

I currently have the first generation Blackberry Curve (GPS, no Wi-Fi). I couldn't stand Edge speed, so I canceled the BB data plan and now only have unlimited text/voice. I'm a college student and usually in range of a fast Wi-Fi connection, so I'm now in the market for a phone with that feature.

Also, my old iPod Nano just crapped up, so I was also looking for a new mp3 player. I was thinking of keeping my phone and just buying an iPod Touch or something, but I'd rather not lug around 2 devices when I can essentially have one (I tend to lose things a lot, too).

I've been looking at a lot of the Nokias and Samsungs, but they're in the $250-$300 range, and was wondering if there's anything cheaper.

Thanks!

Any reason you're not looking at a refurb 8GB iphone direct from At&t? Same data cost as your curve, has wi-fi, phone has rave reviews.

Also: Apple refurbs are really well done--they don't feel like a "used" product in any way. They also carry the same warranty.

Sanskrit Scat
Aug 11, 2007

* Country/Provider: USA / Verizon

* Current contract status: Just got a new 2 year contract, trying to upgrade from the free lovely phone they gave me. On my dad's family plan...he gets a 25% discount from work.

* Budget (phone/plan): Touch screen preferably, GPS, Solid camera, Cool enough features ...

Basically I think it's down to the Dare, Voyager, Omnia, or mayyybe the Saga...even though I don't really want to pay 30 a month for WinMo.

Does anyone know if the Evoke will be released on Verizon? If so, I might bite on that.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Sanskrit Scat posted:

* Country/Provider: USA / Verizon

* Current contract status: Just got a new 2 year contract, trying to upgrade from the free lovely phone they gave me. On my dad's family plan...he gets a 25% discount from work.

* Budget (phone/plan): Touch screen preferably, GPS, Solid camera, Cool enough features ...

Basically I think it's down to the Dare, Voyager, Omnia, or mayyybe the Saga...even though I don't really want to pay 30 a month for WinMo.

Does anyone know if the Evoke will be released on Verizon? If so, I might bite on that.

The GPS is going to be locked down on the Omnia at at firstand you're going to have to upgrade the ROM on the Omnia to unlock the GPS. You're going to have to pay for VZ Navigator on the other devices to use GPS. I would get the Dare since you don't want to pay for the $30 smartphone plan. It does have a good camera. The Dare is Verizon's best touchscreen feature phone still.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
My Mom wants a new cellphone, and she wants it to be able to play mp3s. She's on Sprint, and not exactly a tech wiz, so I want to help her get a good value on a cheap phone that meets her requirements. I don't know much about phones, so any help is appreciated.

Sanskrit Scat
Aug 11, 2007

On Howard Forums they were talking about how Verizon had finally unlocked the GPS on the Omnia, (this was in the past few days) ....but maybe I misread.

The Dare has been the most impressive to me since I've been looking around, so I probably should go with my gut. :D

Sanskrit Scat fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Apr 12, 2009

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!
Country/Provider:
USA/ATT

Current contract status:
Contracted til August

Budget (phone/plan):
$400, but I have no problem paying less if there is a suitable cheaper phone for what I need it for.

Features I know I want:
Bluetooth and full keyboard are the two biggest features. At the moment I don't desperately need access to email/internet but that could change in the near future. Every other feature I use I figure is standard on most phones by now, mp3 ringtones, camera etc. In terms of style I really like the Ericsson X1. The phone itself is way more than I need but I like the way the keyboard slides out and the general layout and design of the phone.

I primarily text (~1500/month) with my phone and use no more than 100 minutes a month. I'm currently on the plan I have with my mom and sister, but the plan (which was all set up by my technology challenged mom) is less than ideal and I'm convinced there is a better way to go about this.

I'm wondering if my mom is better off getting a pre-paid plan. Her phone usage is sporadic and limited at best and she only uses it for calls, no data or messaging. She never exceeds 50 minutes a month, even that would be a bit excessive for her usage.

My sister uses ~2500 messages and 250-300 minutes. Her phone is unlocked.

Is there any advantage to breaking up the 3 lines into separate plans after August? My sister and I paying month to month with our own phones and my mom on a pre-paid plan...or does it make more sense to just keep all 3 lines on a family plan contracted for another 2 years? It would be at least $90 a month for a 3-line family plan with ATT (includes unlimited texts).

Also if it matters, I'm currently living in NY on Long Island but I'm planning to move down to inbetween the Charlotte, NC and Columbia, SC area in the next few months.

McKracken fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Apr 14, 2009

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

The cheapest individual plan is $40, plus $20 for unlimited text, so that's $60. If your sister did the same thing, that's another $60. That's $120 right there.

The cheapest family plan is $60, plus $10 for the 3rd line, so that's $70. That includes minutes, which will cover the minute usage you stated. Then you have to add $30 for unlimited text for the family. So that's $100 a month.

It looks like a family plan would be best in this scenario.

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!

Joe Don Baker posted:

The cheapest individual plan is $40, plus $20 for unlimited text, so that's $60. If your sister did the same thing, that's another $60. That's $120 right there.

The cheapest family plan is $60, plus $10 for the 3rd line, so that's $70. That includes minutes, which will cover the minute usage you stated. Then you have to add $30 for unlimited text for the family. So that's $100 a month.

It looks like a family plan would be best in this scenario.

Thanks. It seemed that way when I spent some more time going over the numbers last night. For some reason I thought it would be cheaper to pay individually.

Any ideas about a decent phone I could purchase. Since I come off contract in August I would want to pay month to month after, so that precludes me from getting a cheap phone subsidized by a contract plan.

I definitely need bluetooth and a full keyboard and I really like the way the keyboard slides out on the Ericsson X1. I prefer it over the phones you have to flip open to access the keyboard. Are there any phones similar to this that I should check out? The Ericsson is out of my price range and just way too much for my needs.

enigma105
Mar 16, 2004

His record...it's over 9-7!!!
Country/Provider: US/Verizon

Current contract status: We're clear, have $50 on NE2. Sticking with Verizon due to Moble2Moble stuff.

Budget (phone/plan): currently paying $70 a month for 700 shared minutes + $10 for txting, would like to keep it under $100/month total. For the phones, preferably less than $100 total, the wife's will probably be free and mine would be the NE2 phone.

Features I know I want: 2 phones, preferably 1 connected to gmail/google calendar if possible. Wife prefers a QWERTY keyboard for texting, but has been living without so it's not a big loss.

enigma105 fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Apr 15, 2009

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Current contract status: Up in August of this year, NE2 eligible for $50 now.

Budget (phone/plan): I'd like to stick to my current plan, since going cheaper doesn't seem possible. I'm probably willing to spend up to $150 after the other discounts.

Features I know I want: Text messaging, including MMS as well. I'd like some media capability, music and video playback if possible - specifically video playback that allows me to put my own videos on the phone. A touch screen would be neat, but really I just don't want a super ugly phone. I might want Navigator, I can't really decide if I want to pay for it again though (my current phone, through some fluke, has access to VZNavigator for free).

I've narrowed it down to two candidates at this point, but I'm still up in the air, even over staying with Verizon. I'm looking at either the LG Dare ($119 after discounts), or the Samsung Omnia ($149 after discounts). As far as I can tell, the Dare doesn't have any kind of video playback like what I mentioned above. The Omnia, with WM6.1 and Mobile Media Player seems like it might be able to grant that wish. It also has a bigger number next to the camera, though I don't know if that actually translates into a better camera. My Chocolate's 1.3 MP camera takes better pictures than my old v710's of the same resolution, so just from that I know not to just take the MP rating at face value.

And then there's the other option, switching carriers (I could also just wait until the contract runs out, continue using my phone, and trim down my usage to save money, but that's kind of boring...) I don't know much about the other carriers (I would probably go to T-Mobile or at&t), other than the coverage is probably more than adequate with either, as I live near Hollywood.

I currently pay a little less than $60 a month, for 450 minutes (unlimited IN calling), 500 Text/MMS (unlimited in network), and uh, free navigation. I use probably less than 100-125 talk minutes a month TOTAL, so the voice plan really doesn't matter. I also could probably cut messaging down, I don't think I send/receive more than 250 a month total, though the phone deletes them automatically at some arbitrary message count, so its a bit tough to log my usage. I don't use VZNavigator daily or anything, but it definitely has been handy in a pinch many times. I somehow survived without it before, so I think I could lose that functionality if it meant saving a little $.

If anyone has a recommendation for a plan on the other networks, I'm interested in that too. I also know bupkiss about GSM phones, what's out there, how exotic can I get, etc, so a phone recommendation similar to my two choices/wanted features above would be appreciated.

This is super long. Yikes.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

sirbeefalot posted:

Current contract status: Up in August of this year, NE2 eligible for $50 now.

Budget (phone/plan): I'd like to stick to my current plan, since going cheaper doesn't seem possible. I'm probably willing to spend up to $150 after the other discounts.

Features I know I want: Text messaging, including MMS as well. I'd like some media capability, music and video playback if possible - specifically video playback that allows me to put my own videos on the phone. A touch screen would be neat, but really I just don't want a super ugly phone. I might want Navigator, I can't really decide if I want to pay for it again though (my current phone, through some fluke, has access to VZNavigator for free).

I've narrowed it down to two candidates at this point, but I'm still up in the air, even over staying with Verizon. I'm looking at either the LG Dare ($119 after discounts), or the Samsung Omnia ($149 after discounts). As far as I can tell, the Dare doesn't have any kind of video playback like what I mentioned above. The Omnia, with WM6.1 and Mobile Media Player seems like it might be able to grant that wish. It also has a bigger number next to the camera, though I don't know if that actually translates into a better camera. My Chocolate's 1.3 MP camera takes better pictures than my old v710's of the same resolution, so just from that I know not to just take the MP rating at face value.

And then there's the other option, switching carriers (I could also just wait until the contract runs out, continue using my phone, and trim down my usage to save money, but that's kind of boring...) I don't know much about the other carriers (I would probably go to T-Mobile or at&t), other than the coverage is probably more than adequate with either, as I live near Hollywood.

I currently pay a little less than $60 a month, for 450 minutes (unlimited IN calling), 500 Text/MMS (unlimited in network), and uh, free navigation. I use probably less than 100-125 talk minutes a month TOTAL, so the voice plan really doesn't matter. I also could probably cut messaging down, I don't think I send/receive more than 250 a month total, though the phone deletes them automatically at some arbitrary message count, so its a bit tough to log my usage. I don't use VZNavigator daily or anything, but it definitely has been handy in a pinch many times. I somehow survived without it before, so I think I could lose that functionality if it meant saving a little $.

If anyone has a recommendation for a plan on the other networks, I'm interested in that too. I also know bupkiss about GSM phones, what's out there, how exotic can I get, etc, so a phone recommendation similar to my two choices/wanted features above would be appreciated.

This is super long. Yikes.

Check out the Sprint EPRP plan. There's more details in the Sprint thread but I believe it's $55 for unlimited everything from what I recall. With that, get a Pre if it works with the EPRP plan which it should. If the Pre doesn't work with EPRP then get the Touch Pro. The Pre is shaping up to be a great phone. It's going to cost a little more than $150 but the Pre is certainly worth it.

With GSM you can use any unlocked GSM phone. Just insert your SIM card and you're ready to go. You can use some of the Nokia S60 phones and you can choose to use the N97 if you're willing to pay the arm and a leg for it. T-Mobile's 3G is sparse and only 1 phone can take full advantage of it right now (G1.) But there are more phones coming that should be able to take advantage of it such as the HTC Magic which is coming to T-Mobile as the G2 or the Huawei Android phone with a specsheet of a 5 MP camera, 3G, Wi-Fi and Bluetooth, and a 3.5mm jack. It won't have a physical keyboard. On AT&T you can use any phone with 850/1900 3G. The best phones supporting that 3G band are the BlackBerry Bold, the iPhone 3G and the Nokia E71. The E71 will only run you $15 for data. I'd rather go with the EPRP plan for the value it offers even with the allure of GSM.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

McKracken posted:

Any ideas about a decent phone I could purchase. Since I come off contract in August I would want to pay month to month after, so that precludes me from getting a cheap phone subsidized by a contract plan.

I'm selling a Blackjack 2 that does what you want here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2755031&pagenumber=2#post359103517

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

McKracken posted:

Thanks. It seemed that way when I spent some more time going over the numbers last night. For some reason I thought it would be cheaper to pay individually.

I definitely need bluetooth and a full keyboard and I really like the way the keyboard slides out on the Ericsson X1. I prefer it over the phones you have to flip open to access the keyboard. Are there any phones similar to this that I should check out? The Ericsson is out of my price range and just way too much for my needs.

Well, AT&T IS selling the Fuze. Not a bad option if you see yourself on AT&T for at least another year or two.

If not, wait til August and jump over to Sprint for the Touch Pro (coverage permitting).

CruzerZERO
May 8, 2007

Oh man, what a bummer
Just realized this sticky was available, kinda ended up leaving a lengthy post in the VZW thread. :doh:

Current contract status: I think it's up already.

Budget phone/plan: For the phone, I'd say no more than $150 if I have to. Plan, upto 75-85 a month.

Features I know I want: A simple to use WinMo smartphone (Thinking the Samsung Saga) with a good data plan. I don't care for voice or text that much, the barebones basic works for me on those two, I just want a really good data plan. I'm throwing out my $60 a month Comcast internet since I'm barely around at home to use it, and would like a decent data plan that I can use on the go when there's no wifi available, so if it's possible to tether the connection to my netbook, even better. Also, I know I already have Verizon, but I want this to be a second line in my plan, I gave my mom my existing line.

I think that's about it. Thanks in advance. :)

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Sir Unimaginative posted:

Well, AT&T IS selling the Fuze. Not a bad option if you see yourself on AT&T for at least another year or two.

If not, wait til August and jump over to Sprint for the Touch Pro (coverage permitting).

Why would he want to jump to Sprint for the same phone? The Fuze and the Touch Pro are the same phone except with CDMA and GSM radio differences. Unless you mean for the EPRP plan and the Pre should be able to work on it. So the Pre would be a better choice than the Touch Pro even if he did jump to Sprint and it worked on the EPRP plan.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Godzilla07 posted:

Why would he want to jump to Sprint for the same phone? The Fuze and the Touch Pro are the same phone except with CDMA and GSM radio differences. Unless you mean for the EPRP plan and the Pre should be able to work on it. So the Pre would be a better choice than the Touch Pro even if he did jump to Sprint and it worked on the EPRP plan.

Actually I meant for the Touch Pro, and yes, EPRP is implied. (And the delay is due to contracts.) The Pre isn't exactly proven technology, after all. Although I suppose if you're addicted to novelty you could do worse.

enigma105
Mar 16, 2004

His record...it's over 9-7!!!

enigma105 posted:

Current contract status: We're clear, have $50 on NE2. Sticking with Verizon due to Moble2Moble stuff.

Budget (phone/plan): currently paying $70 a month for 700 shared minutes + $10 for txting, would like to keep it under $100/month total. For the phones, preferably less than $100 total, the wife's will probably be free and mine would be the NE2 phone.

Features I know I want: 2 phones, preferably 1 connected to gmail/google calendar if possible. Wife prefers a QWERTY keyboard for texting, but has been living without so it's not a big loss.

As an update, turned out I got a 15% discount thanks to my employer, so we ended up buying a VX6900 for me, and a G'zOne Boulder for her. Since she gets to deal with our kid all day, the ruggedness & water resistance was a big selling point.

second best sponge
Jun 13, 2003

I'm from Cleveland :tinsley:
Country/Provider: USA
Current contract status: None (currently deployed)
Budget (phone/plan): I can afford $200 a month, perfer under/near $100, phone cost not an issue.
Features I know I want: Full QWERTY keyboard, Google Maps/GPS, Web browsing. I text more than I call. I would like YouTube and easy G-Mail access.

My last phone was a Helio Ocean and honestly I loved it. I could check my Gmail, had unlimited texting/picture texting, could go on youtube, had a semi-decent web browser, full keyboard, the works. My only complaint is that it was a little buggy at times and the firmware would freeze up occasionally. I am tempted to get an Ocean 2 from Virgin Mobile when I get back to the states. Is there something out there that has these features and maybe is a bit more stable?

I am a little turned off to BlackBerrys because of the seperate additional required service plan they have. One of the great things about Helio is how it was all inclusive without having to sign up for anything special just to use the features you get with the phone.

I would most likely go with a contract just to avoid paying 15 cents per text message with the al-a-carte plans most providers have. In my case, that would easily add up to more per month than a contract.

I am not making a purchase until august, so I have tons of time to look into things. Plus they release new cell phones every 12 minutes these days.

There doesn't seem to be a whole lot of love for Helio around here, in fact, it seems pretty unknown. Check it out if you haven't heard of it.
http://www.helio.com/#/mobile-devices/ocean2/cell-phone-details/

second best sponge fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Apr 19, 2009

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
My friend needs a phone that can tether at 3g speeds to his laptop on tmobile. Here's the thing; he's not going to be making any sort of calls on it. Is it possible to just get a phone that can tether to his laptop with an unlimited data plan?

If so, can you guys recommend me an easy phone to tether with.

Thanks.

96cobraguy
Aug 10, 2008
Country/Provider: USA
Current contract status: AT&T
Budget (phone/plan): I can afford $100 a month, prefer under $100 if I can get it, phone cost not an issue (i usually buy myself unlocked phones anyway).
Features I know I want: Smart Phone, or at least anything that can sync to a mac (keep my work schedule up to date). My wife doesnt care, as long as the phone looks nice and takes decent pics. Web, for myself possibly. (also, Im not a fan of Verizon, had them many years ago, and just didnt like how they locked their phones amongst other things. anyone else is cool tho)

Ok, Im spending almost $100 a month (usually $92 and change) and my wife and I usually use about 300 minutes a month (plan allows for 500 + unlimited nights/weekends/mobile2mobile), and just text back and forth (paying $10/month for 200 msgs and unlimited msgs on network). Im just wondering if theres any way I can streamline a plan... maybe get some web, or something. So if theres any plan out there that can get text, web, and 300 minutes a month, we'd be golden. I'm the only one that would be using web, since theres downtime at work and im frequently bored as hell when that happens. Thanks for the help!

96cobraguy fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Apr 20, 2009

Bicho6
Jul 15, 2003

You dont feel that, like your head is burning or something
# Country/Provider: USA/T-Mobile

# Current contract status: Family Plan/ Out of contract

# Budget (phone/plan): my budget for plan is 125max. Budget for the phone is up in the air. I currently pay $90 for 1000 minutes 400text for me and 1000 for her, free nights and weekends

# Features I know I want: First off before we got married we had seperate contracts, after we got married Tmobile merged the two contracts into a family plan. I think Tmobile still see's them at two seperate contracts but under a family plan. My contract is up and I'm looking for a phone that has Wifi built in and something that I can synch my contacts on. At first I probably wouldn't get a data plan but I would like to option for the future.

Bicho6 fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Apr 22, 2009

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

I need a messaging phone for AT&T!

I live in Oregon and my phone's almost dead so I need a new one with a keyboard. I'm in the middle of a contract, through my office, but I'm eligible for an upgrade. I want a typical cell (a smallish one) that slides out a qwerty keypad on bottom and you turn it horizontal. I was looking at the AT&T store and they had about four. The only one that had well-designed menus and a keypad that felt good was $200 and a little big. I think that was a samsung impression. The size was okay, and I liked the touchscreen and the camera, but for $200 I might as well buy a smart phone.

The salesman said they just got a bunch of cell phones in, so I thought maybe I should look for something used that's just been discontinued. I just want something with a good qwerty keypad. If it has a good camera and I like the other features, I might use other stuff, but it's not vital. I don't care to buy an internet data plan.
Though I would use the internet on my cell phone if it could get wi-fi. Any recommendations? Thank you!

Mescal fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Apr 22, 2009

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

You're not gonna find a cheap QWERTY phone with wifi. Looking on AT&T's website your options are the Pantech Duo or Matrix, and the LG Xenon. None of these have wifi. I have no idea as to the quality of them. My wife has the Impression, and she likes it. I've messed around with it and it's not bad for a dumbphone. It doesn't have wifi though.

You should probably just bite the bullet and get a Fuze so you get your wifi and keyboard. There's a huge thread on the phone in here as well.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Joe Don Baker posted:

You're not gonna find a cheap QWERTY phone with wifi. Looking on AT&T's website your options are the Pantech Duo or Matrix, and the LG Xenon. None of these have wifi. I have no idea as to the quality of them. My wife has the Impression, and she likes it. I've messed around with it and it's not bad for a dumbphone. It doesn't have wifi though.

You should probably just bite the bullet and get a Fuze so you get your wifi and keyboard. There's a huge thread on the phone in here as well.

Thanks for the response. I couldn't remember the names of the Matrix and Xenon, but those were two they had at the store. I think the xenon was the one with the bad keyboard and the matrix was the one with the ugly UI design. Wi-fi isn't a must for me, it's just something I would use if I had it. I hadn't looked into the Fuze, so I'm looking it up now, thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Fuze is the AT&T name for the HTC Touch Pro. It's a powerful Windows Mobile phone.