Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

Somebody posted:

Could this be your issue? http://www.google.com/support/mobile/bin/answer.py?answer=139206&cbid=-1mpc1207fbz1c&src=cb&lev=answer

Also try going to Settings -> Mail, Contacts, Calendars and scroll all the way down and mess with the Calendars options.

Trying that link and I ended up getting to a 404 page on Google's site somewhere. Checked Calendars options and no luck there either :(

edit: nevermind, I got it.

dc3k fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Apr 6, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.
With the new BT functionality, will it be even remotely possible to get DUN / tethering to work? I used to use a BT connection between my PDA and my cell phone for web browsing, and would LOVE to do that with the ipod touch.

I only have a 1g so I don't think BT works with it, but would be willing to upgrade if I could BT tether to my phone.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.
Hi all,

After almost 3 years, my iPod Video 5G is finally on its last legs. Won't hold a charge anymore. And after playing with a friend's Touch a few weeks back, I'm hooked. So, is it a good time to buy a Touch? Should I wait until September?

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Having a mysterious Touch problem. For some reason on my computer at home 3/4 of MP3s from the the letter "S" on disappeared from my HD. In iTunes they show up with the exclamation point next to them. Next when I synched it to put a movie onto the Touch all my songs disappeared from the Touch. I don't want to redownload all the songs, as it's a substantial number. Fortunately I have a 1G touch with all the songs on it that I stopped using a month ago when I got a 2G touch and I haven't gotten around to selling it. How do I get all the songs from the old touch onto my HD without iTunes cleaning out this Touch as well?

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

trilljester posted:

Hi all,

After almost 3 years, my iPod Video 5G is finally on its last legs. Won't hold a charge anymore. And after playing with a friend's Touch a few weeks back, I'm hooked. So, is it a good time to buy a Touch? Should I wait until September?

September is still a while away, so if you need one now then buy it. There are always going to be future versions of technology, so it depends on how long you are willing to wait.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

Super Dude posted:

September is still a while away, so if you need one now then buy it. There are always going to be future versions of technology, so it depends on how long you are willing to wait.

I talked a bit with a coworker today who got a 1G Touch as soon as it came out. He said he still likes it even though the 2G blows it away. So, that pretty much sold it to me, that if he likes his 1G so much, the 2G has got to rock.

So, I picked up the 2G today after work. Love the interface so far, can't wait to try some things out with this.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

trilljester posted:

I talked a bit with a coworker today who got a 1G Touch as soon as it came out. He said he still likes it even though the 2G blows it away. So, that pretty much sold it to me, that if he likes his 1G so much, the 2G has got to rock.

So, I picked up the 2G today after work. Love the interface so far, can't wait to try some things out with this.

Make sure you jailbreak it. There are a ton of good apps out there.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Super Dude posted:

Make sure you jailbreak it. There are a ton of good apps out there.

Are there any Mac solutions for jailbreaking a 2G touch with firmware 2.2.1? Far as I've been able to google, it's all either tethered or windows-only.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!
I want to jailbreak, but I also want the 3.0 update when its released in June/July.

If I jailbreak, what's the process I have to do to update to 3.0? Erase the jailbreak first, etc? Is it possible to update to 3.0 when it comes out if I'm jailbroken?

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

CelestialScribe posted:

I want to jailbreak, but I also want the 3.0 update when its released in June/July.

If I jailbreak, what's the process I have to do to update to 3.0? Erase the jailbreak first, etc? Is it possible to update to 3.0 when it comes out if I'm jailbroken?
You just restore back to the plain unjailbroken firmware via iTunes and then upgrade to 3.0. You probably don't even have to restore back, but that's a worse case fallback.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

xamphear posted:

You just restore back to the plain unjailbroken firmware via iTunes and then upgrade to 3.0. You probably don't even have to restore back, but that's a worse case fallback.

And that's easy to do? Sorry, I'm useless when it comes to these things, haha.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

CelestialScribe posted:

Um, it's infinitely easier than jailbreaking. If you're worried you might not be able to handle a standard apple firmware upgrade, you should probably look into the jailbreaking steps and see if you feel comfortable with them.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

CelestialScribe posted:

It is super easy. You just have to tell itunes to do a restore (make sure you have all your poo poo backed up on the ipod) and itunes will pull the appropriate image and flash it with a default firmware. There is a good chance that the 3.0 firmware will be patched quickly anyways.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

How the gently caress do I get photos off my ipod touch without downloading some niggery $30 application to do it. I don't have it sync to any computer to do it.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Tab8715 posted:

niggery

was this necessary

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

Tab8715 posted:

How the gently caress do I get photos off my ipod touch without downloading some niggery $30 application to do it. I don't have it sync to any computer to do it.

Your post comes across as somewhat angry.

Answer: Just SSH to your ipod.

Super Dude fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Apr 10, 2009

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Tab8715 posted:

Did you mean niggardly?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Super Dude posted:

Your post comes across as somewhat angry.

Answer: Just SSH to your ipod.

It's not jail broken.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

Tab8715 posted:

It's not jail broken.

Then jailbreak it so you don't have to pay for those "niggery" apps. It only takes a few minutes. If you don't jailbreak then you are stuck with what is on the app store, and I don't know of any free/cheap apps that let you access the filesystem directly.

OR You can email each picture individually, which is a complete bitch to do.

confusion2005
Jan 16, 2005

by Tiny Fistpump

Tab8715 posted:

It's not jail broken.

You definitely dont want to connect it to a computer?
I know iPhoto allows you to download the camera roll on the iPhone (so by extension i'm assuming it would do the same on the touch).

Pretty Little Rainbow
Dec 27, 2005

by T. Finn
Sometimes when I take my Ipod out of sleep mode theres buttons for next/previous track and pause without having to slide to unlock, but it only shows up one times out of 1000, how do I get it to show up?

Edit:Double tap the button as I figure out 2 seconds after this.

Flesh
Dec 30, 2004

In The Flesh, Again
Yes, that double tap is very useful. It works even when you are inside an application.

King of Spit
May 18, 2006
Is there any way to make it so you can play a random cd on the touch? I'm new to Ipods all together, but there are times when I'm just feeling like a random album.

Then again I guess I could just spin the thing and randomly put the finger down.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

King of Spit posted:

Is there any way to make it so you can play a random cd on the touch? I'm new to Ipods all together, but there are times when I'm just feeling like a random album.

Then again I guess I could just spin the thing and randomly put the finger down.

There is no random album option, only random song. Your random finger thing is really the only way do to what you want.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

Super Dude posted:

There is no random album option, only random song. Your random finger thing is really the only way do to what you want.

Smart playlists. Not exactly the same but it would get the job done.

Hotdog Farmer
Sep 12, 2005

But seriously, grow some balls.
I've got some videos showing up in my Music option, is there a way to disable this so they're only accessible in "Videos"?

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

Hotdog Farmer posted:

I've got some videos showing up in my Music option, is there a way to disable this so they're only accessible in "Videos"?

In iTunes, pick the movie, right-click Get Info, go to Options and make sure Media Kind is set to Movies.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

So, I picked up a copy of the local trash paper (Tampa Tribune) today because I haven't read it in ... forever. I go to the business section, and there's a huge half-page article about how the Skype app basically turns an iPod touch ("for all intents and purposes") into an iPhone.

Needless to say, I'll never pick up that paper again. I knew there were good reasons I didn't read it.

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

Hotdog Farmer posted:

I think you can set an option on the music sync tab to have it not include music videos.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

deadwing posted:

So, I picked up a copy of the local trash paper (Tampa Tribune) today because I haven't read it in ... forever. I go to the business section, and there's a huge half-page article about how the Skype app basically turns an iPod touch ("for all intents and purposes") into an iPhone.

Needless to say, I'll never pick up that paper again. I knew there were good reasons I didn't read it.

That is quite a stretch, but doesn't the 2G touch have microphone capability? Like when you're using a special iPhone headset or something?

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

That is quite a stretch, but doesn't the 2G touch have microphone capability? Like when you're using a special iPhone headset or something?

Even if it does, you still need to be in range of wi-fi.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

deadwing posted:

My final Tampa Tribune :ughh: moment was when the front page was a huge spread about how the Bucs missed the play-offs that year.

Buried on page 14 that day: North Korea detonated their first nuclear bomb.

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Superman Don't Need No Seat Belt

Pompous Rhombus posted:

My final Tampa Tribune :ughh: moment was when the front page was a huge spread about how the Bucs missed the play-offs that year.

Buried on page 14 that day: North Korea detonated their first nuclear bomb.

Sounds like their priorities are in order. Why did you stop reading?

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

I got an ipod touch a few weeks ago and with it, my first exposure to itunes.

Let me just say, has it always been this loving retarded? Why can I not just drag and drop music and videos and other files like I can with virtually every other Mp3 player out there?

Away all Goats fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Apr 16, 2009

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

Away all Goats posted:

Let me just say, has it always been this loving retarded? Why can I not just drag and drop music and videos and other files like I can with virtually every other Mp3 player out there?

Because Apple is mean and won't let you. You're going to have to live with it. Do you honestly add music that often? I added my music when I got the ipod, and I have added more maybe 3 or 4 times since then. One thing I wish Apple would add is wireless syncing. That is the one thing I really miss from my Zune. I could just walk into my house, press sync, and I would have my new music.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Away all Goats posted:

Yeah, iTunes kinda blows. Get used to it or switch to a different app like Winamp or MediaMonkey. There's an iTunes thread in SHSC that goes over a lot of lesser used functions that might ease the transition.

confusion2005
Jan 16, 2005

by Tiny Fistpump

Away all Goats posted:

You can easily. Just switch off the auto-sync function.

Hotdog Farmer
Sep 12, 2005

But seriously, grow some balls.
I've just used Winamp for syncing my music and videos. With my Touch and my Classic I've used iTunes solely for syncing pictures, even though that seems to be the least used function on my ipods.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

confusion2005 posted:

You can easily. Just switch off the auto-sync function.

It still requires opening iTunes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.
SharePod is your answer.

• Locked thread