Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
I did get out on the ice this afternoon, I was worn out, but I wanted to test out my new blocker and my brother came along and took some action shots. It's always a little terrifying seeing pictures of yourself playing net, because I start noticing things like I am bending with my back and not my knees and I'm not doing a good enough job of keeping my knees close enough together in my stance.

Anyway, here are a couple pictures of me with my new gloves and bad rear end North Stars jersey from this afternoon:

Aside from bending my back, this almost looks like a real stance!

One of the moves that I rely way too much on is being able to kick out my leg and take away low shots to the far side of the net like here.

It doesn't really show up at this resolution, but I love this picture because I have a death stare in my eyes.

Another picture of me standing and glaring, but it does a good job of showing how well my blocker matches with my current leg pads.

This is me making a blocker save on the guy in the Russian hockey jersey. See how I do a good job jamming my leg pad into the post while I keep my 5-hole wide open.

This is me dropping into what was probably a half butterfly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Aniki posted:

It's always a little terrifying seeing pictures of yourself playing net

:lol:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Apr 6, 2009

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
breakdancin the night away
Aniki, when you drive into your butterfly, is it a driving motion that you drive with your knees, or is it a dropping motion that sees your feet slide out as you go down?

Joey Walnuts
Dec 6, 2004

Clean up, aisle 3.

Aniki posted:

This is me making a blocker save on the guy in the Russian hockey jersey. See how I do a good job jamming my leg pad into the post while I keep my 5-hole wide open.

That's Kurt. He works there at Ice Den and is one of the best defensemen I have ever played with. He used to be a goalie so he still likes to get in front of the puck. Great player.

Joey Walnuts
Dec 6, 2004

Clean up, aisle 3.

Martytoof posted:

:lol:

I love this picture.

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

I hear there's gonna be cake!

Aniki posted:

My leg pads were Itech 7.8 Vamps and my gloves were Itech 7.8 X-factors.

Edit: I can get rid of them as soon as my new leg pads arrive. I'll post pictures when I can and I'd be willing to get rid of them for a very reasonable price.

Cool, keep me in mind.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Tim Thomas posted:

Aniki, when you drive into your butterfly, is it a driving motion that you drive with your knees, or is it a dropping motion that sees your feet slide out as you go down?

My form has been getting sloppy lately, so it's started to become more of a dropping motion again. I try to work on driving my knees when I am at the gym by practicing my butterfly on a bosu ball (half-exercise ball). It's not exactly the same since I don't have my skates, leg pads or pants on, but I am trying to work on that motion.

Do you have any tips on what I need to do to make sure that I am driving my knees rather than just dropping? It can still be a weird motion for me at times, so any advice would be appreciated.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

UnmaskedGremlin posted:

Cool, keep me in mind.

I will. Once I get my new pads, I'll post pictures of my old pads, so you can get a better idea of if you want them or not.

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae
Had my awards banquet yesterday, finished second in MVP voting and won best goalie :)

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!

Aniki posted:

My form has been getting sloppy lately, so it's started to become more of a dropping motion again. I try to work on driving my knees when I am at the gym by practicing my butterfly on a bosu ball (half-exercise ball). It's not exactly the same since I don't have my skates, leg pads or pants on, but I am trying to work on that motion.

Do you have any tips on what I need to do to make sure that I am driving my knees rather than just dropping? It can still be a weird motion for me at times, so any advice would be appreciated.

For me when the play starts getting closer and the time you have to close your 5hole gets shorter I start to get in a more and more loaded stance obviously stopping at some comfortable point. That meaning you start to get more in a squat position, I think I end up pushing my heals out and driving my knees together and down. Because you're more squatted this should shut the 5 hole really quick. Remember to keep your toe straps loose enough that you can push the toes of your skates to the ice and pad slide around the crease as needed.

sba posted:

Had my awards banquet yesterday, finished second in MVP voting and won best goalie :)

noice

titanium fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Apr 6, 2009

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

sba posted:

That's really cool. Good job.

titanium posted:

For me when the play starts getting closer and the time you have to close your 5hole gets shorter I start to get in a more and more loaded stance obviously stopping at some comfortable point. That meaning you start to get more in a squat position, I think I end up pushing my heals out and driving my knees together and down. Because you're more squatted this should shut the 5 hole really quick. Remember to keep your toe straps loose enough that you can push the toes of your skates to the ice and pad slide around the crease as needed.

Thanks for the advice. I've gotten away from doing that for some reason, so it should be an easy thing for me to focus on the next time I get out onto the ice.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

He doesn't really stop the puck, but he scares the hell out of the other team.
Reading through this thread has almost motivated me enough to try to actually play. I set up a little shooting practice area behind my house with enough space for one or two friends to take shots on me, and I'm getting a bit more comfortable with the basic coordination. I've noticed I tend to put my weight on my right foot when reacting to shots, which makes right kick saves impossible. Low blocker side is a goal every time. :( I'm hoping this will be less of a problem on ice, but I kind of doubt it.

Too bad my pads are very lovely roller/ice combo pads that are also a bit too small. I also never fixed the webbing in my glove from where a mouse stole a bunch to make a home. Good thing 80% of my glove saves are off the palm. Oh wait, that's bad :(

I need to stop chickening out and just go to some pickup games. If for nothing else, it will entertain the shooters. I am short as hell and have a super low Roloson-style stance. None of my equipment matches. My pads are way too small and my C/A is probably way too big. You guys would sure enjoy pictures.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

ManicJason posted:

Reading through this thread has almost motivated me enough to try to actually play. I set up a little shooting practice area behind my house with enough space for one or two friends to take shots on me, and I'm getting a bit more comfortable with the basic coordination. I've noticed I tend to put my weight on my right foot when reacting to shots, which makes right kick saves impossible. Low blocker side is a goal every time. :( I'm hoping this will be less of a problem on ice, but I kind of doubt it.

Too bad my pads are very lovely roller/ice combo pads that are also a bit too small. I also never fixed the webbing in my glove from where a mouse stole a bunch to make a home. Good thing 80% of my glove saves are off the palm. Oh wait, that's bad :(

I need to stop chickening out and just go to some pickup games. If for nothing else, it will entertain the shooters. I am short as hell and have a super low Roloson-style stance. None of my equipment matches. My pads are way too small and my C/A is probably way too big. You guys would sure enjoy pictures.

As long as the gear you have is safe, go ahead and play. I think you'll find that you'll feel fine after you take your first puck off of your C/A and realize that you have nothing to worry. Why don't you post pictures of what you have so we can see if it is fine for ice or if you should start with inline.

If it makes you feel any better, here are the ultra ghetto pads that I used to play in:

Frankling Street Hockey Helmet
Jofa Elbow Pads
Franklin Chest "Protector"
CCM Player Pats
Itech Street Hockey Blocker, Trapper, and Leg Pads with heavy amounts of duct tape
Aggressive inline skates
Full Right Christian Curtis Curve Stick

The stick was actually the only nice piece of equipment that I had and I had purposely bought a full right stick thinking that it would make playing the puck easier. It kind of did, but I realized being able to control the puck was more important than being able to shoot.

Here is a better picture of my Frankling street hockey mask next to my old Itech 1201 Widowmaker that I very quickly replaced:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

What the gently caress is going on with that stick :pwn:

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Martytoof posted:

What the gently caress is going on with that stick :pwn:

That equipment was from my days of playing hockey on tennis courts and parking lots. The bottom of the stick would wear down very quickly and my efforts to protect the stick/keep it from splintering were fruitless. Also, looking at my old street hockey leg pads still make my knees hurt.

Also, I heard from the Brian's rep today. They didn't have any pads in stock that matched my specifications in terms of size and color. On the plus side, I will get to get my name embroidered on the pads, which sounded stupid at first, but after losing a mask, I realize that it's a good security feature. I debated whether or not I wanted to do any other mods, I considered shortening the boot and possibly adding a second boot strap. However, the shortened boot didn't seem necessary when I tried on the pads and while I have always been intrigued by dual boot straps, I realized that I would only be ordering it out of curiosity and I didn't want to deal with yet another strap.

Minister Robathan
Jan 3, 2007

The Alien Leader of Transportation
Dude, I've got shoulder pads with more protection than that monkey suit, it must've been terrifying to stand in net.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Minister Robathan posted:

Dude, I've got shoulder pads with more protection than that monkey suit, it must've been terrifying to stand in net.

I didn't know any better. I thought that it was normal to finish the game with your arms and body covered in bruises. The elbow pads were actually a later addition. I got those after taking a wicked wrist shot to the bicep by a guy that used to play in juniors. It wasn't too bad, since we played with a hockey ball at the time, but my body still took a lot of abuse during that period.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

I can't imagine facing anyone halfway decent wearing that stuff. I got some nasty bruises after every shoulder save vs. my friends who had terrible shots when I wore something like that back in the day.

My only concern with my equipment's safety is that, since my pads are too short, I have a gap between my pants and the pads. The last time I actually played on ice (probably 1.5 years ago) I took a shot right in that spot within five minutes of hitting the ice and had to quit with very little remaining leg function. The pads will be replaced instantly if I start playing with any regularity. Even if they did fit right, they are really roller pads, so my rebound control is the same as if each leg was inside of a giant superball.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I love when my second wind kicks in. I started off today's game really strong and was literally assaulted for like 30 minutes straight so I was dead tired halfway through. Then I skated over the bench, took my helmet off, splashed some loving freezing water down my back and I was BACK IN BUSINESS. Felt like a new man, just from that little 30 second break.

Seriously, I don't take enough time to calm down after frantic action sometimes and I think it makes me just that much worse for wear. I played a really good game despite being ganged up on, made some great saves, and just about everything I gave up was an amazing play so I don't feel too bad.

Incidentally, I also notice that my "second wind" ALWAYS kicks in after I get injured or run or something. I've been run into my post before and felt like I was going to throw up, but as soon as I got up and got back into the game I was sharp as a tack. I think it's the adrenaline flowing or something, but I always notice it.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

ManicJason posted:

I can't imagine facing anyone halfway decent wearing that stuff. I got some nasty bruises after every shoulder save vs. my friends who had terrible shots when I wore something like that back in the day.

My only concern with my equipment's safety is that, since my pads are too short, I have a gap between my pants and the pads. The last time I actually played on ice (probably 1.5 years ago) I took a shot right in that spot within five minutes of hitting the ice and had to quit with very little remaining leg function. The pads will be replaced instantly if I start playing with any regularity. Even if they did fit right, they are really roller pads, so my rebound control is the same as if each leg was inside of a giant superball.

It seems like the primary rule of being a goalie is that no matter how much padding you have on, the puck will always find a gap. If you can find good knee pads/thigh guards, they should provide enough protection to cover most of that gap. Take a look at the stuff here to get an idea of what I am talking about.

Martytoof posted:

Incidentally, I also notice that my "second wind" ALWAYS kicks in after I get injured or run or something. I've been run into my post before and felt like I was going to throw up, but as soon as I got up and got back into the game I was sharp as a tack. I think it's the adrenaline flowing or something, but I always notice it.

I've noticed it too, your body kicks into another gear and it seems like the endorphines and adrenaline give you a burst of energy and focus. I think this is part of the reason why I like having some contact in the net. I don't want someone to run me over really hard or land of my knee awkwardly, but if someone bumps or slides into me, then it wakes me up for a little while.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!
Aniki how are you liking that blocker? It looks lighter than the TPS one I'm thinking about getting and I'm not sure that I like player glove kucks.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

One of the rinks around here has a pickup session tonight labeled "recreational players." What the hell pickup game in Virginia isn't recreational players? If I'm going to go humiliate myself, tonight should be the night.

Here are my :laffo: pads that claim to be ice or roller pads. They even have snaps instead of buckles:

Rather than destroying my mostly-functional catcher by trying to restring it, I spent some time tying together some of the fuzz the mouse so kindly left me. I think it will actually hold a puck 95% of the time now instead of 60%.

This is such a horrible idea.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Just take a shoelace and tie it between a bunch of the threads.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!

ManicJason posted:

One of the rinks around here has a pickup session tonight labeled "recreational players." What the hell pickup game in Virginia isn't recreational players? If I'm going to go humiliate myself, tonight should be the night.

Here are my :laffo: pads that claim to be ice or roller pads. They even have snaps instead of buckles:

Rather than destroying my mostly-functional catcher by trying to restring it, I spent some time tying together some of the fuzz the mouse so kindly left me. I think it will actually hold a puck 95% of the time now instead of 60%.

Nice, I'm sure they'll just be happy you're there. I went to an afternoon Friday skate when I took a day off work here and 5 loving goalies showed including myself.

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

Martytoof posted:

Just take a shoelace and tie it between a bunch of the threads.

I basically re-stitched the entire outside stitching of my catcher this way. Bought a couple shoelaces and went to town.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

titanium posted:

Aniki how are you liking that blocker? It looks lighter than the TPS one I'm thinking about getting and I'm not sure that I like player glove kucks.

The blocker weighs 1.43 lbs, the trapper weighs 2.03 lbs and the leg pads weigh 4.50 lbs per leg pad (based on 35" +1 pad). (Source.)

After one use I really like the Zero G blocker so far. It is very leight seems well balanced and the extra index finger guard that I thought may be a problem didn't interfere with my play. I took a couple shots off of the blocker and didn't feel anything and it worked well the couple times that I used it in paddle down.

I will still need a few more uses before I can give a definitive statement on the blocker, but at least initially I am very impressed with the product.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

ManicJason posted:

Those look to be standup goalie pads, you can butterfly some in them, but as long as you they go above your knees you should be ok. You may just want to pick the spots where you drop carefully.

Also, if you have a hockey shop in the area it should cost about $15 for them to restring your glove.

Deer_fire
Jul 30, 2003
I posted this in the NCAA thread since I just realized it but I don't know how many of you are watching/have seen Bemidji State's goalie, Dalton, play but he's using a stick that has a toe curve that curves in towards him as opposed to out like every other stick I've ever seen. Basically it looks like he's using a full right stick as a non-full right goalie.

Edit: maybe I can see it because the toe curve would, theoretically deflect pucks to the corner better, but that's a shoddy theory in my opinion.

Deer_fire fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Apr 9, 2009

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
breakdancin the night away

Deer_fire posted:

I posted this in the NCAA thread since I just realized it but I don't know how many of you are watching/have seen Bemidji State's goalie, Dalton, play but he's using a stick that has a toe curve that curves in towards him as opposed to out like every other stick I've ever seen. Basically it looks like he's using a full right stick as a non-full right goalie.

Edit: maybe I can see it because the toe curve would, theoretically deflect pucks to the corner better, but that's a shoddy theory in my opinion.

I did this for a time because I was short on cash and got a really good deal on 3 full right sticks. Puck control on deflections was tough but on the flip side I could flip the stick and pass the way I'm used to, and my passing was significantly better. I switched back and don't play the puck that much because the location control was poo poo but it's something I think about often.

nahanahs
Mar 26, 2003

<3 Shantastic <3
I hate to admit it, but I've lost my love for playing. This last season, I played in an ice and a roller league. The roller team just spun out of control and I was taking 50-60 shots a game, letting 8-10 in. In some games, we didn't have a shot in the third period, and others, we never even made it to the third period (8 goal mercy rule). This messed up my confidence enough to screw up my ice league and made me actually dread going to play some nights. The worst part was that I felt it happening through the season, getting worse throughout. I'm going to take a session or two off and hopefully get back the desire.

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae

Deer_fire posted:

Basically it looks like he's using a full right stick as a non-full right goalie.

I do this, I shoot righty and catch lefty.

And it's a bitch finding righty curve goalie sticks at the proshops here.

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

I'm the same way, I just stickhandle very poorly. I can flip the puck up to the blueline with a little velocity, and some air, but thats about it.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!

UnmaskedGremlin posted:

I'm the same way, I just stickhandle very poorly. I can flip the puck up to the blueline with a little velocity, and some air, but thats about it.

have you tried the "turco grip"? I've always been a lovely shot but since switching to that grip it has improved my shot quite a bit.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
The one thing that I liked about using a full right stick as a regular goalie was that it would allow me to shoot Cujo style with my trapper on the butt of stick and my blocker controlling the stick. I could shoot more easily that way, but my theory of having the curve of the full right stick deflecting everything away didn't work how I had hoped. It created a lot of rebounds and I had trouble controlling the puck. Then again I tried this experiment during the time when my friends and I would play roller in parking lots, but knowing what I know now, I wouldn't feel comfortable playing with a full right stick.

As for the Turco grip, it is something that I have been meaning to try for a while but I don't quite have the mechanics down. At this point, I do keep my trapper behind the stick like the Turco grip, but that hand is there more as a guide than anything, so I don't actually grip the stick at all with my trapper. I should probably experiment with this again, since my stick handling and shooting ability are still rudimentary, but between my shooting method and the occasional Hasek trade marked one-handed slapshot, I can usually do a good job of passing the puck and clearing the zone. The big problem that I have is getting rid of the puck when there is an opposing player in pursuit, it is hard for me to get a shot off quickly and while the one handed slapshot is faster, there is always a chance I whiff on the shot.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

Hooray, I survived! One of the other goalies that showed up got a kick out of my fuzz-webbed catcher and tiny pads. He gave me a few pointers on ice time opportunities in the area aside from pickup games and also confirmed my findings that there is literally nowhere in this area to try out goalie stuff in person. Looks like when I decide to replace the pads I'll just have to guess at a size again and hit goaliemonkey.

Nothing was too surprising other than just how horrible I am at playing the puck still (right shot as a skater). I can shoot a hockey ball all right, but it's still embarrassing with a puck. Not to mention my grip tape somehow got so sticky by the end of the session that I had trouble sliding the stick down for pokechecks and playing the puck. I am definitely going to spend some time next session trying out the Turco grip.

The first half of the session was 50% me skating back to the bench to mess with my equipment. I successfully broke another toe tie by letting the ends hang too loose and skating over it. My C/A side straps continue to come completely undone every time I play, which is a huge pain. I'm thinking about just sticking a safety pin in them to keep them from working loose.

Also, man oh man do I need to work on T-pushes. I was pretty helpless on 2-1 drills.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!

ManicJason posted:

Hooray, I survived! One of the other goalies that showed up got a kick out of my fuzz-webbed catcher and tiny pads. He gave me a few pointers on ice time opportunities in the area aside from pickup games and also confirmed my findings that there is literally nowhere in this area to try out goalie stuff in person. Looks like when I decide to replace the pads I'll just have to guess at a size again and hit goaliemonkey.

Nothing was too surprising other than just how horrible I am at playing the puck still (right shot as a skater). I can shoot a hockey ball all right, but it's still embarrassing with a puck. Not to mention my grip tape somehow got so sticky by the end of the session that I had trouble sliding the stick down for pokechecks and playing the puck. I am definitely going to spend some time next session trying out the Turco grip.

The first half of the session was 50% me skating back to the bench to mess with my equipment. I successfully broke another toe tie by letting the ends hang too loose and skating over it. My C/A side straps continue to come completely undone every time I play, which is a huge pain. I'm thinking about just sticking a safety pin in them to keep them from working loose.

Also, man oh man do I need to work on T-pushes. I was pretty helpless on 2-1 drills.

Are you a fullright goalie? I have a chestpad for sale that would be perfect if you have some sort of cleaning service around you. I'll probably also have legpads and gloves available soon too.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

ManicJason posted:

If you are looking for cheap starter pads, check out the Itech leg pads at Goalie Monkey. The RX7's are a shade under $400 and you can get a new set of RX5's for $230 to $240. Both of those would be good starter sets and they are so cheap because Bauer bought out Itech. You can also check the clearance pad section on Goalie Monkey and you might find a good deal there. As for sizing, you will want to an Ankle to Knee (ATK) measurement. Basically you will want to measure from the middle of the ball of your ankle to about the middle of your knee cap and you'll measure this along the outside of your knee. If you can give us your height and ATK, then we can give you recommendations on what pad size will work for you. Also, keep in mind that sizes will vary depending on manufacturer, but we can at least guide you in the right direction.

As for 2-on-1's, you will want to focus on the shooter and have your defensemen play the passer. If the shooter passes to the other man, then you can either do a T-push off the post or you can try doing butter fly slide to get yourself across to the other side of the net. There's more to it than that, but that's at least a basic way to handle that situation.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

ManicJason posted:

:words:

Congrats man. Good to see you talked to the other goalie too, that's the best way to pick up tips and things. I usually ask the other goalie if he noticed anything glaring every time I play. You'd be surprised what you can learn about your technique even if you think you're a "seasoned" tender.

As for pad sizing, it's already been mentioned but give us your ATK. ATK isn't always 1:1 with a pad size, it's more of a helpful recommendation, but at least it gets you in the ballpark.

I'm just going to go out on a limb and guess, but unless you're a midget or a tall guy you'll be looking for either a 34" or 35" pad, not including whatever thigh rise you'll end up with. My 35" RBKs are pretty much perfect for me and I've got a 17.5" ATK last I remember checking, I'm 5'10" or 5'11" depending on when you measure.

And as for your equipment, I just realized that I've seen goalies up here playing high level beer league with WORSE and older equipment than yours, so don't sweat how it looks.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

Aniki posted:

As for 2-on-1's, you will want to focus on the shooter and have your defensemen play the passer. If the shooter passes to the other man, then you can either do a T-push off the post or you can try doing butter fly slide to get yourself across to the other side of the net. There's more to it than that, but that's at least a basic way to handle that situation.
I played hockey enough to know it's my job to play the shot, but this was a very casual drill, not a full speed game situation, so there were usually a couple of passes. My natural tendency was to do some kind of retarded shuffle over. I guess that comes from playing tons of street hockey with shoes on. At least I am pretty comfortable with C-cuts and shuffling somehow. That doesn't mean I'm doing anything right, but at least it doesn't feel too awkward.

I spent a few minutes practicing butterfly slides and recoveries, and they were ugly. My outside leg tended to slide back under my body during the slide. Pads that actually have some butterfly support will probably help. Also, I have little to no recovery ability once I'm in the butterfly. I've seen enough instructional videos and watch enough hockey to have a general idea of the mechanics, but it is sure going to take awhile. One time I successfully butterfly-slid to cover a pass on a 2-1, and the skater curled around the net. I tried to stop myself with my outside skate and get a push over, but instead my momentum just carried my upper body all the way over. I caught myself a bit with my blocker and dove over, somehow robbing his wrap-around clean with my glove. :)

Martytoof posted:

As for pad sizing, it's already been mentioned but give us your ATK. ATK isn't always 1:1 with a pad size, it's more of a helpful recommendation, but at least it gets you in the ballpark.
Looks like my ATK is just shy of 17". I'm 5'7". I'm still a bit paranoid about getting unwieldy pads. I'm guessing 32" would be OK. I have no idea how high to want the riser, since I have never had a real set of pads. I wish I could just try some on :(

Martytoof posted:

And as for your equipment, I just realized that I've seen goalies up here playing high level beer league with WORSE and older equipment than yours, so don't sweat how it looks.
I actually take pride in how ridiculous it looks. Other than my catcher/blocker not matching, it won't look unusual at all with real pads anyway. Blue and black almost match, right?

titanium posted:

Are you a fullright goalie? I have a chestpad for sale that would be perfect if you have some sort of cleaning service around you. I'll probably also have legpads and gloves available soon too.
No, I catch left. Also, I am somewhat of a midget, as indicated above (5'7").

After thinking back on how everything went, I'm somehow looking forward to just practicing T-pushes, butterfly slides, and other skating crap the next time I hit the ice. I kind of wish I stuck around a bit longer after most of the skaters had left last night to work on that stuff.

ManicJason fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Apr 11, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

ManicJason posted:

I played hockey enough to know it's my job to play the shot, but this was a very casual drill, not a full speed game situation, so there were usually a couple of passes. My natural tendency was to do some kind of retarded shuffle over. I guess that comes from playing tons of street hockey with shoes on. At least I am pretty comfortable with C-cuts and shuffling somehow. That doesn't mean I'm doing anything right, but at least it doesn't feel too awkward.

I spent a few minutes practicing butterfly slides and recoveries, and they were ugly. My outside leg tended to slide back under my body during the slide. Pads that actually have some butterfly support will probably help. Also, I have little to no recovery ability once I'm in the butterfly. I've seen enough instructional videos and watch enough hockey to have a general idea of the mechanics, but it is sure going to take awhile. One time I successfully butterfly-slid to cover a pass on a 2-1, and the skater curled around the net. I tried to stop myself with my outside skate and get a push over, but instead my momentum just carried my upper body all the way over. I caught myself a bit with my blocker and dove over, somehow robbing his wrap-around clean with my glove. :)

That drill really needs to be run at a quicker speed. They shouldn't have time to pass back and forth and if they are doing that, the defensemen needs to break up the pass. Next time you do that drill, ask the skaters to run through it faster, they ideally should have just enough time to either make one pass or take a shot.

As for butterfly sliding it takes a little time to get used to, but it isn't too bad. Now butterfly sliding while you are already on the ice is harder, I've never really been able to get a good enough push for it too work. I am hoping that my new pads will slide better, but I think that I am not getting enough grip with skates and am not pushing off hard enough for it too work. I can kind of do it sometimes, but it is not a natural movement for me at this point.

quote:

Looks like my ATK is just shy of 17". I'm 5'7". I'm still a bit paranoid about getting unwieldy pads. I'm guessing 32" would be OK. I have no idea how high to want the riser, since I have never had a real set of pads. I wish I could just try some on :(

As for sizing, I am just about your size and my old Itechs were 34 and if I had to do it all over again, I would get those pads in 33 or 33 +1. The new leg pads I ordered are 32 +1, but that's because Brian's sizing runs a bit big and their 32 +1 would be a 33 +1 in other brands' sizing. I am not sure about RBK's sizing, but it should be similar to Itech.

• Locked thread