Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Urban Renewal
Sep 23, 2008

by T. Finn
In the first answer, Black can save the larger group of his stones. He'll still lose some, but the guaranteed capture isn't as big.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Pettifogger
May 11, 2007
Urban Renewal whats your ranking and on what server?(just curious)

Urban Renewal
Sep 23, 2008

by T. Finn
I'm Pyrography, 8k on KGS.

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Mr. Helsbecter will you please stop shooting I am on the phone

I won some free lectures to http://internetgoschool.com/ in a tournament on saturday. I get five, what do you lunks think I should pick?

sensual donkey punching
Mar 13, 2004

=)
Nap Ghost
Opening B lectures 1 thru 5 imo

L:ordSilent
Jul 28, 2004
Awesome april fools joke on KGS

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

She thinks I'm a haughty!

L:ordSilent posted:

Awesome april fools joke on KGS

Haha that's pretty good. It's funny how people have to deal with it.

Zahki
Nov 7, 2004

Man Go is awesome. I bought a board and stones when I had a back problem for a few months and boned up on it, but I've only just started playing on KGS and getting my first 50 losses out of the way. This level of play is really weird, either I get completely crushed or I crush them, wins by over 50 moku are pretty common just because one of us will miss something vital and lose a huge wall of stones. I'm about 20 kyu, but having a blast.

The thing I like about it is that it has very simple rules that let it be played in very complex ways. Where in Chess each piece moves in a different way, Go you just plonk your stones down anywhere, but the way you place them has a huge impact on how things turn out.

Zahki fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Apr 2, 2009

Emo Rodeo
Dec 28, 2006

This is one mystic quest
Just womped some dude by like 60 points, I'm a go master.

Urban Renewal
Sep 23, 2008

by T. Finn
go owns, welcome new players, what was the KGS prank

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

Everyone was 9d

Urban Renewal
Sep 23, 2008

by T. Finn
will my rank graph reflect this, I would be really happy, my rank is very important to me

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

Urban Renewal posted:

will my rank graph reflect this, I would be really happy, my rank is very important to me

It showed your graph how it always looks but all the numbers on the left read 9d.

woober
Jun 4, 2005

I've finally hopped in and played my first game with VincentD, who then stepped me through common openings and commentated our whole game after the fact.

Thanks for making newcomers feel welcome - I've only sat and watched games for a while just because it's looked so intimidating. If there's more lurkers out there on the fence, jump in and get learning - you won't regret it.

Urban Renewal
Sep 23, 2008

by T. Finn
if it makes you feel better your first game didn't look like half the clusterfuck that most first games do

you also did the tutorial before playing instead of just "learning by doing"

I see a promising future

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

So I was at the go club in real life and I beat a shodan with three stones for the third time in a row, entitling me to move up to two, where I come one very hard-fought liberty away from making him resign again. Then, I come home to my shitbox kgs account that I got to 5 kyu for about fifteen minutes before dropping two games in a row and putting it safely back in 6k where it belongs

gently caress internet go (everyone should play internet go get on kgs)

Foggy
May 17, 2004

I haven't played in over a month :( I got my rear end kicked by a 22k and got discouraged I guess

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Foggy posted:

I haven't played in over a month :( I got my rear end kicked by a 22k and got discouraged I guess

you did not even complete basic go training

I remember blendy was like "oh man foggy is gonna be my RIVAL" and I told him "sorry son foggy's gonna crap out any day now just you watch" and he was all :smith:

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

Under 15 posted:

you did not even complete basic go training

I remember blendy was like "oh man foggy is gonna be my RIVAL" and I told him "sorry son foggy's gonna crap out any day now just you watch" and he was all :smith:

That totally was me! I wanted a rival so bad. :smith:

Also Foggy: Fight on! A loss means nothing in internet go!

Blendy fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Apr 10, 2009

Urban Renewal
Sep 23, 2008

by T. Finn
the japanese say you have to lose 100 games before you can start to really play but they also have a tendency to fetishize suffering so I guess what I'm saying here is that Go is a retarded game and anyone who plays it (me) is retarded

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

Urban Renewal posted:

the japanese say you have to lose 100 games before you can start to really play but they also have a tendency to fetishize suffering so I guess what I'm saying here is that Go is a retarded game and anyone who plays it (me) is retarded

I 2nd this on all counts. I need to start playing again. Daily.

Urban Renewal
Sep 23, 2008

by T. Finn
go is literally keeping me from killing myself with a hanzo sword in a snow field

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

That sounds like a kick rear end wood block print in the making.

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Urban Renewal posted:

go is literally keeping me from killing myself with a hanzo sword in a snow field

anger, and more specifically spite is a critical quality in internet go

if you dont pass muster you will sink under the weight of your own cowardice

Kinuven
Dec 9, 2004

I'm getting my men.
I played my first two games on KGS last night (I lost, of course) and I was surprised by how friendly and helpful even the pubbies were.

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

Had my first ranked game last night after being on break for 3 weeks. I lost at the most stupid point in the game. That will teach me for going awol :smith:

Zahki
Nov 7, 2004

Kinuven posted:

I played my first two games on KGS last night (I lost, of course) and I was surprised by how friendly and helpful even the pubbies were.

One of the guys I played against, a fellow 19kyu, reviewed the game with me and asked a buddy of his to do a tute game with me, it was pretty rad. I need to do more life and death problems, I make some kick rear end huge territory and the other guy puts a single stone in the middle of it and I'm all "Whoa what the gently caress, how do I kill this poo poo"

Urban Renewal
Sep 23, 2008

by T. Finn
go players are usually pretty hard up for new interested players, so we tend to be pretty nice and encouraging to them. We don't want you to quit!

Urban Renewal
Sep 23, 2008

by T. Finn
Good times - I actually managed to create one of these in a real game.

Click here for the full 848x851 image.

The upper middle-left fight is a three-way ko that will never end.

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

haha awesome. so does that void the game or is it a tie?

Urban Renewal
Sep 23, 2008

by T. Finn
exar said that you would leave the whole thing as seki but he made a ko threat and I took the whole shebang. His ko threat was bigger than I thought though and I lost :(

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

Urban Renewal posted:

exar said that you would leave the whole thing as seki but he made a ko threat and I took the whole shebang. His ko threat was bigger than I thought though and I lost :(

:( :( :(

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

I finally did it! I bought a go set. Got it off ebay for only 39.50 after shipping w/ insurance. The guy didn't really know what he was selling so I'm not sure what kind of wood it is, his guess was maple. Anyway it looks good enough to me and it's hard to find a decent set for under $50 before shipping. Now if only I knew some locals that played...

Fake Edit:
Sorry for the double post

Foggy
May 17, 2004

Blendy posted:

I finally did it! I bought a go set. Got it off ebay for only 39.50 after shipping w/ insurance. The guy didn't really know what he was selling so I'm not sure what kind of wood it is, his guess was maple. Anyway it looks good enough to me and it's hard to find a decent set for under $50 before shipping. Now if only I knew some locals that played...

Fake Edit:

That is the exact set my aunt gave me last year (which piqued my interest in the game). Blendy you were meant to be my rival! I'm really sorry I haven't been on

Zahki
Nov 7, 2004

Blendy posted:

Fake Edit:

Nice. I always thought playing on a physical board beat the hell out of playing on the internet. You probably find better competition on the net, but a lazy afternoon playing Go with a friend face to face, much nicer I think.

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

Foggy posted:

That is the exact set my aunt gave me last year (which piqued my interest in the game). Blendy you were meant to be my rival! I'm really sorry I haven't been on

What do you think of the board? It's a good price but I want to save up for a shin-kaya board.

Urban Renewal
Sep 23, 2008

by T. Finn
It's not gonna blow any hats off but its better than the poo poo boards you'd get at Toys R' Us and I wouldn't be embarrassed to bring it to a club.

In my opinion, it's better to have a sub-par board then to have a really great board and be a not-so-great player. I knew a guy who had $2000 bowls but couldn't beat me regularly several years ago, and I wouldn't feel comfortable having equipment of that level at my current level of skill. Plus its a big faux pas to have equipment mismatched with each other, his board was 100$ at most and his stones were glass.

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

Yeah no table boards for this guy until past shodan. at least.

stab stabby
Mar 23, 2009
This thread makes me happy.

I haven't played Go in a while (quit playing regularly maybe a year ago now), but if anyone is interested, I'm toastcrumb on KGS. At my high point, I was 1k, but I'm probably 3-4k now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blendy
Jun 18, 2007

stab stabby posted:

This thread makes me happy.

I haven't played Go in a while (quit playing regularly maybe a year ago now), but if anyone is interested, I'm toastcrumb on KGS. At my high point, I was 1k, but I'm probably 3-4k now.

Join us in the SA room!