Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ganty
Jan 8, 2005
Because we want to! Because we want to!

Kazanski posted:

Dead Space
Also, if you see a door that requires a power node to open, don't do it. All these rooms have inside is a bunch of ammo, which you shouldn't have any trouble finding elsewhere. It's not worth a node.

These rooms have schematics in them for new things to buy at the shop sometimes, so it is always a good idea to go in them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tical00
Nov 17, 2008

by Lowtax
Anyone got any good ones for Eternal Sonata?

Category Fun!
Dec 2, 2008

im just trying to get you into bed

Jarl posted:

This has probably already come up, but what should I know before playing MASS EFFECT for the very first time?

Once you leave the Citadel, you'll be given the choice of three planets to visit. You can do them in any order, but since Noveria is closest you might be tempted to do that one first. Do not do that that is a bad thing to do. The first thing you should do is go to search for Liara T'Soni. After that, it'd probably be better to do Feros. When you do get to Noveria, there's a very awkward section beginning with driving across the cliffs in the Mako, and ending with reaching the tram inside the station. This part is annoying because you won't get any autosaves, so make sure to save whenever you can to avoid having to go all the way back to the beginning.

You'll find that the universe essentially "updates" every time you complete one of the main storyline missions. After completing one, you'll have new conversations to have with your squad members on the Normandy, and there'll be a few side quests or happenings on the Citadel. If you want to get the romance subplot for a certain character, you'll need to talk to them after completing each mission. Obviously there are only certain characters you can get involved with (There are no opportunities for Krogan love).

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I know its new, but I forgot I had it on my gamefly list, so its on its way. Anyone have any advice for Godfather 2?

Anonononomous
Jul 1, 2007

Jarl posted:

This has probably already come up, but what should I know before playing MASS EFFECT for the very first time?

If you want to get the achievement for having Liara in your party, don't do any side quests before you pick her up. And never let her leave the party.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Jarl posted:

Most of the achievements that you can get in the game give you bonuses of some kind. The skill use and weapon kill achievements let you take those skills or weapon skills on a later playthrough. The partner achievements give you minor bonuses to your character. The big one is getting the rich achievement. It unlocks a high level weapon manufacturer that will provide some of the best weapons in the game.

What Anono posted goes for any character really, pick your partners and keep them with you throughout the entire game. Its best to hold off on any quests at all until you have the members you want.

As long as one character in your party has the hacking skill, you can hack devices. So there is no point in spending points on the hacking skill on multiple people.

JohnScans
Apr 21, 2008

Hug it out bitch

Orvin posted:

Most of the achievements that you can get in the game give you bonuses of some kind. The skill use and weapon kill achievements let you take those skills or weapon skills on a later playthrough. The partner achievements give you minor bonuses to your character. The big one is getting the rich achievement. It unlocks a high level weapon manufacturer that will provide some of the best weapons in the game.

What Anono posted goes for any character really, pick your partners and keep them with you throughout the entire game. Its best to hold off on any quests at all until you have the members you want.

As long as one character in your party has the hacking skill, you can hack devices. So there is no point in spending points on the hacking skill on multiple people.

Just finished the Rich Achievement the other night. Trust me, it's worth it. I went Vanguard and put full points into pistol for my weapon. . . hooollyyy poo poo the pistol you get with the Rich Achievement is insanity.

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

^^^^

That's a good point. Don't spend ANY money until you get 1 million. You get enough gear from enemies to last that long, and once you build up that much money you unlock the minor versions of the best weapons in the game which are head and shoulders above anything else you would have bought.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Swiss Army Knife posted:

^^^^

That's a good point. Don't spend ANY money until you get 1 million. You get enough gear from enemies to last that long, and once you build up that much money you unlock the minor versions of the best weapons in the game which are head and shoulders above anything else you would have bought.

No, definitely spend your money, but once you level up to a certain point, you start getting better weapons that gives you shitloads of money once you sell it back, so you will get the achievement easily once you get past a certain level.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.

Tical00 posted:

Anyone got any good ones for Eternal Sonata?
My memory is hazy on this, just because it's been a long time since I played.

· Don't forget to equip newer skills as they become available. The sub-screen isn't entirely intuitive, so this is easy to forget.
· There's only one character you get in the game who isn't in your endgame party. It's possible to get this character back in a dungeon at the end.
· The battle system gets tighter as you go, so try to get in the habit of making decisions faster than you have to. Each Party Level requires you to play the game faster, so bear that in mind.
· More healing spells are always better. There are times when certain characters will be better healers than others. (At one point, Polka is the best healer in the game, then Frederic, then Viola, and then Polka again, with lots of variation in between.) I would highly recommend against ever going into battle without at least one healer and preferably two.
· Near the end, the bosses are huge difficulty spikes. You will end up grinding like a motherfucker in the endgame.
· The story gradually takes a David Lynch approach to sense making and the ending makes almost no sense at all. Although I try not to get into that stupid Japan/Japanophile stereotyping, there's quite a bit of existential anime angst in the later game.
· The game's New Game+ option cranks the enemy levels way up, so if you're going to do any sidequests or anything optional, do it on your first playthrough.

It's a fun game, though, (I personally have an extremely high opinion of the battle system) and the graphics stay gorgeous throughout, so have fun!

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

I just got Alien Trilogy and Mystaria for the Sega Saturn. Anything special I should know before I dive into them? It seems like Alien Trilogy gives you an objective complete % at the end of every level, is this just akin to how much I've explored or does it actually relate to the objectives they give me each level? Is there a benefit to getting 100% on every level?

JohnScans
Apr 21, 2008

Hug it out bitch

blackguy32 posted:

No, definitely spend your money, but once you level up to a certain point, you start getting better weapons that gives you shitloads of money once you sell it back, so you will get the achievement easily once you get past a certain level.

Both methods work, although I think buying the licenses and 1 time upgrades (medi-gel, grenade, etc) are much better investments than weapons that might be upgraded for free during the next sidequest (of which you should do as many as possible).

Gray Stormy
Dec 19, 2006

I just wrapped up Ninja Gaiden 2. It wasnt as painful as I was expecting but there were definitely a couple of boss fights that made me put the game away for a few hours out of frustration.

I just picked up Earth Defense Force 2017 for $3 at a garage sale today, and you guys have given some awesome tips for everything so far.

Any dealbreakers on this one?

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Secret Ooze posted:

I just picked up Earth Defense Force 2017 for $3 at a garage sale today, and you guys have given some awesome tips for everything so far.

While you can skip the "Easy" difficulty, the game is meant to be played in multiple playthroughs. You progressively get better weapons as you beat more levels, and even the earlier levels on the higher difficulties are impossible without weapons that dropped from the last levels of the easier difficulties. I'd recommend you start at the second difficulty and move forward from there.

The game gets about 600 times better if you include a friend. It goes from a mediocre budget title to a hilariously awesome B-Movie co-op game.

Go into the options and turn off the setting that automatically adjusts the camera or whatever. I can't remember the exact wording of it. It makes it so that during cutscenes you don't lose control of your character. This is good because, even though the game zooms in on a space ship or something, you are still getting your poo poo wrecked by giant bugs.

When you invade the Ant Nests underground, the Bounding Gun weapons are very, very good to use.

Rooney McNibnug
Sep 2, 2008

"Life always hopes. When a definite object cannot be outlined, the indomitable spirit of hope still impels the living mass to move toward something--something that shall somehow be better."
I just got Unlimited Saga for free from a friend, who said it's hard as hell and pretty drat boring. Is this game even worth playing?

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.

Rooney McNibnug posted:

I just got Unlimited Saga for free from a friend, who said it's hard as hell and pretty drat boring. Is this game even worth playing?
Well, out of everybody here, the only people who've ever said anything positive about the game are signalnoise and myself. It's a drat hard game to like (the hardest of any game I've played in my life) and you have to spend some time getting familiar with the mechanics. If you want some advice, I posted some further back in this thread.

Basically, in short, if you don't have the patience of a loving saint or an extremely open mind, this game isn't for you. If you want to try something new and difficult, and you're willing to put a good amount of time into learning how the game works, then it's worth a try. I personally like the game because the graphics are really good and some of the game's experimental concepts (e.g. dual life gauges with different purposes, highly abbreviated overworld exploration) are onto something. The game was designed to be hard even if you do understand how to play it, though, and nobody does when they first start it.

Rooney McNibnug
Sep 2, 2008

"Life always hopes. When a definite object cannot be outlined, the indomitable spirit of hope still impels the living mass to move toward something--something that shall somehow be better."

CloseFriend posted:

Well, out of everybody here, the only people who've ever said anything positive about the game are signalnoise and myself. It's a drat hard game to like (the hardest of any game I've played in my life) and you have to spend some time getting familiar with the mechanics. If you want some advice, I posted some further back in this thread.

Basically, in short, if you don't have the patience of a loving saint or an extremely open mind, this game isn't for you. If you want to try something new and difficult, and you're willing to put a good amount of time into learning how the game works, then it's worth a try. I personally like the game because the graphics are really good and some of the game's experimental concepts (e.g. dual life gauges with different purposes, highly abbreviated overworld exploration) are onto something. The game was designed to be hard even if you do understand how to play it, though, and nobody does when they first start it.

Well, I feel I'm a patient person and I'm always willing to be open minded when it comes to video games, so i guess I'll give it a shot. Everywhere I look people are talking about how ball-busting hard this game is, so I'm still a little hesitant. Thanks for the tips!

Kid Moe
Mar 18, 2009

Hello Mr.Thompson
I recently bought Madworld and i cant shake the feeling like im playing it wrong, im killing enemies fine and having no problems, but i feel like i could be getting way better combos and having way more fun than im having.

Any tips?

Adrenochrome
Nov 22, 2007

by mons all madden
How much do I have to know about navigation to get the most out of Flight Simulator X? Will it be worth it to learn about VOP and ILS and all that fun stuff? I'm having the world's hardest time landing because I can't line up with the runway and it ends in disaster :(

Hard Clumping
Mar 19, 2008

Y'ALL BREADY
FOR THIS

Lockback posted:

I know its new, but I forgot I had it on my gamefly list, so its on its way. Anyone have any advice for Godfather 2?

Assuming this isn't a fakepost:

Know that you will probably be disappointed. The beginning of this game makes you feel pretty awesome- the first time you take over a crime ring makes you feel like a badass.

Unfortunately, pretty immediately you realize that this is nowhere near as good a game as it could have been.

The first thing I noticed was that New York was maybe a mile long- i almost appreciated the honesty in stripping away the useless parts of the city to keep the important locations closer together (there are three cities in all to capture, and they are all around the same size as new york), but even what they gave us felt unfinished- it looks and plays worse than saint's row 1.

Also, most of the perks you can get for taking crime rings over are useless- armored cars are absolutely never useful, and bullet proof vests are useless in a system where headshots are so easy (on the PC, anyway)

You did good just renting it, but I'd move along to better games soon.

EDIT: Seconding Homeworld 2: I am stuck on the same mission with the shipyard (the third one)- the sheer number of Vaygr ships they throw at the shipyard are unfair, and the resources run out so you can't build more ships.

Hard Clumping fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Apr 11, 2009

TadGhostal
May 10, 2002

Moltar, get me Lassie so I can raise money for retardos.
This may have been asked but it's a big thread and I don't have search, but I just picked up Star Ocean: The Last Hope today. Anyone got any tips going in?

Anonononomous
Jul 1, 2007
I picked up MDK and MDK 2 from GOG. I just tried playing MDK and didn't really get it. It seems to say in the manual that it's a stealth game but it seemed more like a fast paced third person shooter where you can't strafe. And then I blue screened.

What should I know?

Tical00
Nov 17, 2008

by Lowtax

TadGhostal posted:

This may have been asked but it's a big thread and I don't have search, but I just picked up Star Ocean: The Last Hope today. Anyone got any tips going in?

Never played the game, but I know the star ocean series (actually just beat second departure last night). If I remember reading correctly, the last hope still has the skills system. The first ones you are going to want to max out are EFFORT and DETERMINATION. They will make you get more EXP in battle, making you level up much faster.

Gray Stormy
Dec 19, 2006

Anonononomous posted:

I picked up MDK and MDK 2 from GOG. I just tried playing MDK and didn't really get it. It seems to say in the manual that it's a stealth game but it seemed more like a fast paced third person shooter where you can't strafe. And then I blue screened.

What should I know?

For MDK, I can honestly only remember one, MAYBE two, "stealth" sections. And they were about three minutes long, if that.

Its pretty much like you said, run around and blow the gently caress out of everything. Remember that headshots in sniper mode are instant kills 99% of the time. You can also pretty much circle strafe any enemy in the game and come out alive.

Im not sure about MDK2 though, having never played it.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.

Das Butterbrot posted:

Warhammer Online

DO NOT under ANY circumstances believe that what it says on the box are the minimum system requirements :smith:

THIS. Fun game, balance is currently broken with insane aoe and the coding is utter poo poo. Still fun though.

Install on a seperate hard drive if you can. 90% of all problems are to do with other software accessing the drive when the game wants to then it throws a tantrum.
Dual core is good but the drat game only uses max 56% of each core.
Average memory when the game is running is usually 1.5GB but it spikes up to 2.2GB when something fucks up with a hotfix, this has happened 3 times.

Video cards for this game are another problem area and can seem as backwards as oblivions levelling at times.
Avoid SLI/crossfire or multiple GPU/Core cards.
ATI cards can work fine but I know a few people who quit right after buying an ATI card and it killed their performance or causes textures to show up as oily black sludge everywhere.
nVidia cards can run it great if it's a compatible one, if it's a 6800/7800/280 it'll run fine but if it's a 9800 or the 2nd generation 8800's with 512mb/1024mb memory you will probably have problems similar to the ATI cards.
First generation GF8800 is fine and the 320mb/640mb versions probably perform the best.
DON'T use a 7600/8600/9600 or lower and expect this to run above 1024*768 or run well at all in widescreen.

Aim for 1280*1024 or similar widescreen res, any higher and you will have problems in large fights because this game is numerically illiterate when it comes down to memory management.

If you're thinking of getting into this game it's drat fun when it works but PLEASE do yourself a favour and wait for May/June with the next two patches.
They add stuff like loot tokens from players, upgradeable keeps, Land of the Dead fixes AOE stacking and buffs to defensive stats.
As it is most people simply stack Str/BS/Int then get wounds because that gives the best results for the least effort and exploits bugs like 1200 int allowing casters to virtually ignore block.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Agrias120 posted:

I just got Alien Trilogy and Mystaria for the Sega Saturn. Anything special I should know before I dive into them? It seems like Alien Trilogy gives you an objective complete % at the end of every level, is this just akin to how much I've explored or does it actually relate to the objectives they give me each level? Is there a benefit to getting 100% on every level?

God, THERE'S two blasts from the past.

Mystaria: Get the thief as soon as possible. He can eventually steal skills from the enemy, and some are VERY powerful and not even gettable any other way. One of these is the attack used against you in the prologue battle. You know which one I mean, or you will.

As I recall, enemy levels scale with you, and their skill lists will improve. Another reason to get the thief as soon as possible-Allies don't scale as well.

Make sure to level everybody-you'll be called to use them all by the end.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Lockback posted:

Get the diamond smuggling crime ring bonus as soon as possible. This will give you kevlar vests and most importantly will take them away from everyone else

You have an instant advantage, right there.

Also, bombing a building is a very easy way to clear out guards for an easy takeover. A successful bombing will kill everyone in the building (including the shopkeeper) and will put the building out of action for a while. Once it reopens it will usually be completely unguarded so you can waltz in and take it for your own.

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good
I'd really like some recomendations for Banjo Kazoie Nuts and Bolts and Chronicles of Riddick Escape from Butcher Bay / Dark Athena

Thanks!

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Ganty posted:

These rooms have schematics in them for new things to buy at the shop sometimes, so it is always a good idea to go in them.

Usually the stuff you get in them will sell for over 10,000, so you make back your node money. Some of them have ruby circuit boards in them which sell for 10,000 by themselves. :D

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

PlasticSun posted:

I'd really like some recomendations for Banjo Kazoie Nuts and Bolts and Chronicles of Riddick Escape from Butcher Bay / Dark Athena

Thanks!

In Riddick, don't blow all your cash on any expensive armor or weapon or anything. Chances are you'll lose it eventually, but you would have kept all that money you spent.

Zushio
May 8, 2008

PlasticSun posted:

Thanks!

For BK, the only advice is to think creatively about completing objectives, more than half of them can be done in an unortodox way that makes they easier. An example of this is in an early level, you are tasked with bringing a certain number of items to a silo that then sucks them up. If you do what you're told, it's quite difficult, an better option is to destroy the silo and use a vehicle to carry it over to where the items are, thus clearing the mission in 30 seconds.

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away

PlasticSun posted:

Banjo Kazoie Nuts and Bolts

Don't waste notes on Humba's blueprints. Every time you beat Grunty and get a new toy for your cart, make sure to spend some time crate hunting.

And the level orbs are magnetic. This might sound stupid now, but remember it!

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.

PlasticSun posted:

Thanks!

In BK you can do a gordon freeman by finding a tray-sized object, putting it in your tray, standing on it and wrenching your cart. Using this will probably break the game balance-wise, but god drat do I love physics bugs :shobon:

Wampa Stompa
Aug 15, 2008

I literally have no idea what I just saw in there!
Grimey Drawer

Kid Moe posted:

I recently bought Madworld and i cant shake the feeling like im playing it wrong, im killing enemies fine and having no problems, but i feel like i could be getting way better combos and having way more fun than im having.

Any tips?

One useful tip is that most enemies can be easily grabbed. Once you are holding on to them, you can headbutt them by shaking the nunchuck until they become dazed, at which point you can do pretty much anything to them without them struggling.

Don't underestimate the usefulness of sign posts and tires/barrels. They allow you to perform some of the coolest executions with relative ease as well as giving you a higher combo.

If you throw one enemy into a group of enemies standing in front of a trap (rose bush/grinder/etc.), all of the enemies will fall into it and die, giving you a higher combo.

Once you unlock a boss match, you don't have to go to it immediately. Often times if you stay and kill more enemies, bonus objectives appear, so don't feel rushed. Be aware that some levels have a time limit, though, so don't get too crazy.

Boss fights kind of suck, so don't be too worried if you're not enjoying them that much. Your best strategy is usually trying to initiate a duel QTE repeatedly until the boss dies. Also, be aware that the castle level kind of sucks in general. It gets better after that, though.

Does anyone have any tips for the Resident Evil Gamecube Remake or Eternal Darkness? I started RE, but had to delete my save because I had accidentally filled up Chris's laughably inadequate inventory with things I couldn't drop.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

Wampa Stompa posted:

I started RE, but had to delete my save because I had accidentally filled up Chris's laughably inadequate inventory with things I couldn't drop.

I'm pretty sure you can get things out of your inventory (outside of using them) by putting them in the chest/trunk/whatever the hell it is. That's pretty much a RE staple. (Assuming I'm thinking of the right series.)

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Wampa Stompa posted:

Does anyone have any tips for the Resident Evil Gamecube Remake or Eternal Darkness?

If you haven't already, DO NOT look up the sanity effects before you play through. Also, don't be OCD about keeping your sanity up, because while you can easily, the game is much better if you let it stay low. When you get to it, examine the bathtub, you get a pretty sweet reward which a fair amount of people miss. Other than that, I don't recall anything that needs to be said up front.

Anonononomous
Jul 1, 2007

Wampa Stompa posted:

Does anyone have any tips for Eternal Darkness? I started RE, but had to delete my save because I had accidentally filled up Chris's laughably inadequate inventory with things I couldn't drop.

Play through once with each god for the true ending.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Wampa Stompa posted:

Does anyone have any tips for the Resident Evil Gamecube Remake or Eternal Darkness? I started RE, but had to delete my save because I had accidentally filled up Chris's laughably inadequate inventory with things I couldn't drop.

For Eternal Darkness, when you choose a color an artifact at the end of the prologue (you'll know it when you get there), it will affect the overall difficulty of the game as well as which ending cutscenes you get. Blue is the easiest, green is average and red is the most difficult (or tedious depending on how you want to look at it).

For the Resident Evil remake, don't pick up any green herbs that are in plain sight, it's better to just return to those areas and use them immediately.

The corridor on the east side of the mansion on the first floor (it's one of the first areas you can explore after once the game lets you loose) has several ammo clips hidden under furniture that you can push aside. Don't even bother using this corridor til later in the game since by then you'll need the ammo more.

There are item chests in the safe rooms, items you put there appear in any other item chest, but I find it better to just leave any items in plain site where they are until you actually want to use them.

Mistayke
May 7, 2003

God dammit, nevermind, wrong game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Neo Rasa posted:

For Eternal Darkness, when you choose a color an artifact at the end of the prologue (you'll know it when you get there), it will affect the overall difficulty of the game as well as which ending cutscenes you get. Blue is the easiest, green is average and red is the most difficult (or tedious depending on how you want to look at it).

Not quite... Green is easiest, then Blue, then Red. Breakdown is like this:

Green: Sanity effects - monsters make you go "crazier" faster.
Blue: Magic - they shoot at you more, some of them can heal themselves, etc. They use magic.
Red: Combat - They hit harder, take more damage, and are more aggressive.

Considering there's a spell in the game to easily cleanse your sanity bar whenever the hell you want, Green is the easiest. Personally I felt that spell was a total copout, but whatever, the game is still awesome.