Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dreggory
Jan 20, 2007
World Famous in New Zealand
I seem to remember a goon posting about his boxster snapping the parking brake cable while parked, in neutral, and rolling off a small embankment.

I've always put mine into 1st or R depending on the direction I'm facing on the incline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

There's an 05 Forester XT for sale here in town and it's a pretty good price. I'm thinking about heading over to take a look at it tomorrow.

Anything in particular to make sure it's had done? There's 99,000 on the odometer, is the 100K service especially pricey or anything? It's an automatic, which is probably why the price is so good.

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

Scientifically proven to be more fuel efficient than hybrids!
105k service is the timing belt and tensioner, and most of the fluids on the car. TB replacement should run about ~$300 by itself at the dealer (cost me $331 when I had mine done), maybe $200-300 for the rest of the stuff depending on what you opt to have done?

Edit:

quote:

90k service:

Inspect Drive belt(s) [Except camshaft]
Inspect Camshaft drive belt
Replace Engine oil
Replace Engine oil filter
Perform Replace engine coolant and inspect cooling system, hoses and connections
Recommended Performance Replace fuel filter and inspect fuel system, hoses and connections
Replace Air cleaner element
Inspect Transmission/Differential (Front & Rear) lubricants (Gear oil)
Inspect Automatic transmission fluid
Replace Brake fluid
Inspect Disc brake pads and discs, front and rear axle boots and axle shaft joint portions
Inspect Brake linings and drums
Perform Inspect brake lines and check operation of parking and service brake system
Inspect Clutch operation
Inspect Steering and suspension
Perform Rotate and Inspect Tires

105k mile service includes:

Replace Engine oil
Replace Engine oil filter
Inspect Disc brake pads and discs, front and rear axle boots and axle shaft joint portions
Perform Inspect brake lines and check operation of parking and service brake system
Inspect Clutch operation
Inspect Steering and suspension
Replace Drive belt(s) [Except camshaft]
Replace Camshaft drive belt
Perform Rotate and Inspect Tires

grzydj
Oct 4, 2000

You say agricultural or thrummy, I say totally yummy.

CharlesM posted:

I thought they stopped using the aluminum hoods after a few years because of the cost of material. They may have brought it back, I dunno.

'08 models up use stamped steel hoods due to the cost of aluminum being so high a few years ago when they were penning the new body style. Now the price of aluminum and steel for that matter have tanked, but I don't think that'll bring back aluminum hoods on WRXs.

DAT RAM
Dec 28, 2003

Laissez les bons temps rouler
I just want to take a second to cuss that stupid plastic door on my Forester that hides the oil drain plug and oil filter. I spent more time dicking around with that than actually changing the oil.

:argh:

That is all.

Sabotaged
Jul 6, 2004

dreggory posted:

I've always put mine into 1st or R depending on the direction I'm facing on the incline.

Does this really make any difference?

Also I can't fathom these posters only using just the handbrake or just in gear on a hill. I always do those two plus turn my wheels in if it's a steep hill. It's just such little effort for peace of mind. Granted, I'm probably a bit more cautious because someone that parked on the same hill I normally do, also with a manual, somehow managed to gently caress up and have their car roll down about 75m of fairly steep hill into someone's goddamn front yard. Luckily it hit a tree and didn't kill anyone.

Disciple of Pain
Dec 4, 2005
Alright, so I'm 99% sure I want to replace my GTI with a Subbie. Initially I was looking at Outbacks because of the utility of a wagon, ease of maintenance, AWD, etc, etc. Then I found out a WRX can be had for about the same price and the insurance is unbelievably almost the same. But I find myself saying that I wanted the extra space of the big wagon, it is harder to find a non-abused WRX, etc.

And I've happened upon the Forester 2.5XT. Seems like with the turbo WRX engine the car is probably capable of a pretty serious bump in power if one were to get a turbo-back, AP, and tune to go with it.

Ah. I dunno. I have this desire to have a car I can modify and make reasonably fast, but I also want something that is 100% dead reliable with no little naggly problems, gets good fuel economy, and is 100% appliance.

Also, an Outback wagon has more passenger AND cargo space than a Forester, WTF?

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

Don't forget you can also get the WRX in wagon variant as well, and the Legacy GT wagon.

Disciple of Pain
Dec 4, 2005

TurboLuvah posted:

Don't forget you can also get the WRX in wagon variant as well, and the Legacy GT wagon.

Yeah, but the WRX wagon seems a lot smaller. That is what I would be getting if I got a WRX, though. Legacy wagons are rare as gently caress it seems like, when I search for OUtbacks I put those in the search as well and the ratio was like 10:1 at best.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

FYI, Bridgestone is running a promotion right now with a cash card if you purchase select tires. The RE960AS is eligible for a $75 gift card. That makes 205/55/16 RE960as tires about $93 a pop at Tirerack which is a screaming deal for excellent tires. The deal runs to May 2nd.

Disciple of Pain posted:

Also, an Outback wagon has more passenger AND cargo space than a Forester, WTF?

What's so surprising about that? The Forester is based on the smaller Impreza platform while the outback is the larger Legacy platform.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Wrar posted:

I need new tires, too. The RE960AS might fit my needs, but my car never sees winter or temps below 40. It does see a poo poo-ton of rain.. I drive aggressively when I can. I'd like to get 20 to 25k miles out of the tires.

I'm going to go against the grain and recommend the Dunlop Direzza Z1 Star Specs. They are the only tire i've ever had that feels to have nearly the same amount of wet grip as it does dry grip. They are summer tires, but I'm currently on track to get at least 20k (probably a bit more) miles out of them and that was with some autoxing on them last year. If the temperature never gets below 40 where you are, they are manageable on those days that it is colder, and great on the warmer days. They also aren't too pricey so they won't break your bank account either. They are kinda sketchy on sub40 degree wet days, but its not like they feel like they will kill you unless its actually in the middle 30s.

Disciple of Pain
Dec 4, 2005

bull3964 posted:

FYI, Bridgestone is running a promotion right now with a cash card if you purchase select tires. The RE960AS is eligible for a $75 gift card. That makes 205/55/16 RE960as tires about $93 a pop at Tirerack which is a screaming deal for excellent tires. The deal runs to May 2nd.

What's so surprising about that? The Forester is based on the smaller Impreza platform while the outback is the larger Legacy platform.

Because from the outside they seem to be almost the same size.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
I went into Napa today to pick up an oil filter and the clerk handed me this tiny little filter. Knowing that my current filter is a good deal bigger I asked him to recheck and sure enough, the Wix filter for a 2.5L NA is the dinky one (Model 1365) he handed me.

Curiously if you go back to 1999 the filter changes to a much larger one (Model 1334) which looks like the one I'm used to buying. Looking around on the internet it seems that others have noticed the change to the smaller filter but no one knows which is best. Heres a shot of the two filters:

Now I'm not terribly concerned that my engine will instantly explode if I use the smaller one, but the irrational (bigger = better) part of my brain is screaming at me to use the big one. I mean my goddamn motorcycle filter is larger than that thing. Any opinions here?

Oddly enough the smaller one is the same filter Wix recommends for the 4EAT transmission. I'm planning on doing a drain and fill on the transmission as well so maybe I'll just use the little guy on that.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I know when I had the '03 WRX they switched over to a smaller filter for the turbo models, because the filter was very close to the exhaust system and would get heated up.

If you don't have that issue and the bigger one fits it seems like it'd be ok. I always used to use the V6 filter for my old Mazda I4.

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma
When I got my WRX the Mobil 1 filter on it was tiny tiny. It also was almost impossible to get off, I had to buy an oil filter vice grip from HF to get it off. P.S. Awesome tool. The SuperTech filter is much larger. This is on an 02 EJ20

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma

CharlesM posted:

I know when I had the '03 WRX they switched over to a smaller filter for the turbo models, because the filter was very close to the exhaust system and would get heated up.

Is that so...Maybe Ill use some of the exhaust wrap I have and wrap that part.

Sorry for the DP.

sherifroads
Feb 25, 2005
Just before the winter I bought a set of RE-960as for my 92x. Well just last week one of my tires gets a leak in it. I go to get it fixed and they said its a screw in the sidewall, and can not fix it. Well my question is, I have less then 3000 miles on those tires, can i get away with replacing just that tire, or maybe two of them, compared to all four of them? Also its an auto.

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma
I've have nails/screws almost on the side wall and simply used a tire plug and drove like that until the tires wore out.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

sherifroads posted:

Just before the winter I bought a set of RE-960as for my 92x. Well just last week one of my tires gets a leak in it. I go to get it fixed and they said its a screw in the sidewall, and can not fix it. Well my question is, I have less then 3000 miles on those tires, can i get away with replacing just that tire, or maybe two of them, compared to all four of them? Also its an auto.

I think i had the same situation, and there was little enough wear on the tyres that I didn't need to replace all four, just the hosed one. Do you have a good wheel and brake shop near you? They should be able to inspect the tyres and see if it'll be alright.

si
Apr 26, 2004

8ender posted:

Oddly enough the smaller one is the same filter Wix recommends for the 4EAT transmission. I'm planning on doing a drain and fill on the transmission as well so maybe I'll just use the little guy on that.

You'll want to double check this, but I believe Subaru recommends not changing the ATF filter unless it becomes physically damaged. It's considered a "lifetime part". There was just recently a thread over at LegacyGT.com from a guy who changed his (at like 20k miles) and couldn't make it stop leaking, had to have it towed to the dealership and fixed by them.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

si posted:

You'll want to double check this, but I believe Subaru recommends not changing the ATF filter unless it becomes physically damaged. It's considered a "lifetime part". There was just recently a thread over at LegacyGT.com from a guy who changed his (at like 20k miles) and couldn't make it stop leaking, had to have it towed to the dealership and fixed by them.

Yeah Subaru considers it a lifetime part but the idea of "lifetime" parts never sits well with me. My Subaru has 110k on it now and that filter has to have some crap lodged in it by now. I don't know how the guy from the LegacyGT forum could screw up a simple spin on filter.

si
Apr 26, 2004

8ender posted:

Yeah Subaru considers it a lifetime part but the idea of "lifetime" parts never sits well with me. My Subaru has 110k on it now and that filter has to have some crap lodged in it by now. I don't know how the guy from the LegacyGT forum could screw up a simple spin on filter.

I would tend to agree, but he wasn't alone. There were a few replies in the line of "yeah, did that too". Maybe just something as simple as a specific torque spec for the thing? Just know I've heard people warning against trying to change it before that even. I'm sure you'll have no trouble, just one of those things worth knowing I guess.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

sherifroads posted:

All if your tires should be within 2/32s of each other so I would get a tread depth gauge and measure the tread on the remaining tires. The tires have a tread depth of 11/32s when new, so as long as they haven't worn beyond 9/32nds you "should" be ok with replacing the one tire with a new one.

Failing that, or if you want to make sure they match exactly, Tirerack does offer a tire shaving service for like $25-$35 where they will match the tread depth of the tire you bought with the remaining tires. So you would be looking at about $150 to replace that tire which is a hell of a lot cheaper than replacing all of them.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Zsbaug24 posted:

I'm going to go against the grain and recommend the Dunlop Direzza Z1 Star Specs. They are the only tire i've ever had that feels to have nearly the same amount of wet grip as it does dry grip. They are summer tires, but I'm currently on track to get at least 20k (probably a bit more) miles out of them and that was with some autoxing on them last year. If the temperature never gets below 40 where you are, they are manageable on those days that it is colder, and great on the warmer days. They also aren't too pricey so they won't break your bank account either. They are kinda sketchy on sub40 degree wet days, but its not like they feel like they will kill you unless its actually in the middle 30s.
I just ordered a set. How'd they work out for autox? I'm surprised you're getting 20k miles out of them - how many autox events did you attend?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

MrBlandAverage posted:

I just ordered a set. How'd they work out for autox? I'm surprised you're getting 20k miles out of them - how many autox events did you attend?
Seriously, with more than 1-2 events, I'd be shocked to see 20k out of some Z1s unles syou're driving a lotus (and even then) or drive slow.
I got 7k mi and 7 autocross events out of my Z1s. Thats to below 1/32.

In other news, I killed my RE-01Rs today after a weekend of track days (MAM) ~4/32 to below 1/32 in 2 days. (4 track days, 5 autocrosses, 8-9k mi) Good tires, but drat I wish i could have killed them at Putnam next weekend and save my last set of RE-01Rs for a while.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Does anyone have ANY knowledge of DMS 50mm rally suspension on a Subaru? Yeah sure the diffs and power are great but I'm coming to the conclusion I got some major suspension tuning to do - the ride heights are wrong and the rebound / compression are hosed up too. The last owner had it set up a hell of a lot different to hw I like cars.

I be thinking the fantastic diff setups have been hiding a few narky issues that I now need to work out and fix.

Actually does anyone know a good setup for dirt at all for these things? I am seeing a range of settings that have me WTF'ed and one or two rear end backwards to what I would think would work. I'm also not entirely convinced I have the front track right, it seems to be too narrow by about 2 cm. What is the best way to get more track without wheel spacers on an STI - change hubs? Different control arms? Also need to increase castor big time.

I suppose I could bend over and get a wallet reaming with a set of Proflex and be done with it..... 50 mm DMS doesnt seem to be all that poo poo hot and they have bump stop issues.

si
Apr 26, 2004
I've heard Tokico D-Spec struts with Racecomp Black springs make a good strong setup for RallyX on the WRX/etc. I'm not sure how these would fare against a stock STI suspension. However, I'm guessing based on the fact you're talking about DMS 50mm that you're not looking at RallyX/light duty offroad, but rather full heavy duty rally/offroad/jump capable/etc suspension?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Yeah all the unlimited budget guys have Proflex. Some budget-minded people in NA seem to favor Hotbits.
Here's a fairly crappy thread about it on SpecialStage:
http://www.specialstage.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8194

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

si posted:

I would tend to agree, but he wasn't alone. There were a few replies in the line of "yeah, did that too". Maybe just something as simple as a specific torque spec for the thing? Just know I've heard people warning against trying to change it before that even. I'm sure you'll have no trouble, just one of those things worth knowing I guess.

Just an update: I drained and filled the transmission fluid and changed the filter. No leaks yet. I think people ran into trouble because you really need to torque that filter. The existing one was screwed on by Japanese Jesus and I had to use a strap wrench to get it off.

I used the strap wrench to torque the new one on just as hard and so far it looks like no leaks. Car shifts awesome now. The shifts were sort of slow and sloppy before and now they're quick and positive. I also had a problem where it would take a while to engage into drive from reverse that seems to have cleared up.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
All Subarus use the small filter now, and if you get an oil change at the dealership, it's what you'll get regardless of the car you drive. On the newer turbo models, the larger filter doesn't clear the headers.

If you want to use the larger filter, get that napa or a purolator PL16640, assuming it fits.

Cat Terrist posted:

Does anyone have ANY knowledge of DMS 50mm rally suspension on a Subaru? Yeah sure the diffs and power are great but I'm coming to the conclusion I got some major suspension tuning to do - the ride heights are wrong and the rebound / compression are hosed up too. The last owner had it set up a hell of a lot different to hw I like cars.

I be thinking the fantastic diff setups have been hiding a few narky issues that I now need to work out and fix.

Actually does anyone know a good setup for dirt at all for these things? I am seeing a range of settings that have me WTF'ed and one or two rear end backwards to what I would think would work. I'm also not entirely convinced I have the front track right, it seems to be too narrow by about 2 cm. What is the best way to get more track without wheel spacers on an STI - change hubs? Different control arms? Also need to increase castor big time.

I suppose I could bend over and get a wallet reaming with a set of Proflex and be done with it..... 50 mm DMS doesnt seem to be all that poo poo hot and they have bump stop issues.
DMS 50s are decent rally shocks, but I can't really help with the setup. I have some people I can ask, though.

As for the diffs, the stock sti ones are good, but going to a clutch type rear and possibly front diff would be a big upgrade. There are also aftermarket center diff controllers available.

Spec C control arms will add caster. A whiteline ALK will also add a bit of static caster and really help with dynamic caster loss. You can also rotate your camber plates to move the top of the strut farther rearward. All those things together should get you over +6 degrees.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
I'm thinking about purchasing a used 2006 Subaru Impreza 2.5i stick shift with 20k miles on it. Is there anything I should know before I purchase it? I've done a small amount of research and understand that the stock radio is pretty bad, along with the space in the back and interior noise. Other then that, are there common mechanical problems I should watch out for?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

So, I finally decided to replace my front o2 sensor since my inspection and emissions is in June and I want to make sure I don't cut it too close as far as the car making it through all its cycles before the time comes.

So, I need a Denso 234-9011 sensor. I am completely flabbergasted that Amazon.com stocks the sensor (and for nearly $25 less than anywhere else at $127). This isn't another company that has a storefront with amazon, it actually ships from amazon.

Pretty soon I won't have to go anywhere to buy anything else, I'll just go to amazon.

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD

bull3964 posted:

So, I finally decided to replace my front o2 sensor since my inspection and emissions is in June and I want to make sure I don't cut it too close as far as the car making it through all its cycles before the time comes.

So, I need a Denso 234-9011 sensor. I am completely flabbergasted that Amazon.com stocks the sensor (and for nearly $25 less than anywhere else at $127). This isn't another company that has a storefront with amazon, it actually ships from amazon.

Pretty soon I won't have to go anywhere to buy anything else, I'll just go to amazon.

That's their plan. "From A to Z World domination".

duffbeer
Apr 13, 2004

Warm and really fuzzy this time.
Here's the official Subaru-sanctioned WRX "fan site".

http://www.ripetv.com/wrxoctane/

This is version 1.0 -- more widgets and functionality coming.

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

Time for new rubber :c00l: Goodbye soft winter tires.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'

TurboLuvah posted:

Time for new rubber :c00l: Goodbye soft winter tires.

Gotta love that wagon functionality! :)

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

Mat_Drinks posted:

Gotta love that wagon functionality! :)

Indeed, and I did a poor job of organizing them, could have arragned them better to fit more in it.

After 2 days of driving on the Sumitomo HTR Z III, holy poo poo they're good. Not quite up to par with the RE050A PPs I had before, but for the ridiculously cheap price, these tires are incredible. Would definitely recommend them to someone looking for an awesome summer tire on a budget.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
I just ordered the RE960As. They had a big price drop, and the rebate is nice.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
I'm not very familiar with Carfax reports but could someone explain this to me?
I'm thinking about purchasing this Subaru Impreza, but after looking at the Carfax report: http://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistory/p/Report.cfx?vin=JF1GD67565G517458&partner=ATD_W
It says on 03/14/2009 it's odometer reading was at 27,595. And then, when the vehicle was put up to sale on 04/04/2009, the odometer reading was at 53,070.

Is that right? What am I missing here? 25,000 miles in little over two weeks?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disciple of Pain
Dec 4, 2005
Someone probably just reported with old data.