Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
I am having big issues with HD content on my new HTPC. It's built with the current fad (GA-E7AUM-DS2H and E5200) but I can't get any HD content to be playable at all. I have a 720p H.264 encoded MKV that I am trying to play (over a wired network) in XBMC under XP. The content just plays a few frames and then seems lock up. I thought it was an issue in XBMC (still could be), so I fired up XBMC on my MacBook Pro and managed to stream the same content over wireless with the same 9400m smooth as silk. The hardware difference isn't that drastic, so I don't understand what is wrong. From what I understand, XBMC is rolled with the same decoders for all platforms, so I won't expect a massive difference between platforms either. Any ideas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Juriko
Jan 28, 2006

Jook posted:

Does anyone use Laptops for HTPCs? I know some Laptops have HDMI out and should be powerful enough to do full HD decoding but I never hear of anyone really making use of them as an HTPC. I figure that for a couple hundred dollar premium I could have an HTPC that doubles as a portable computer -- am I right? If so does anyone have any recommendations?

It works fine. I know some people that do it. The biggest issues is that most people want their media PC's to be static elements, like a set top box. You can build a solid minITX based system for 300 or so dollars so unless you need that functionality it is a big premium.

weaaddar
Jul 17, 2004
HAY GUYS WHAT IS TEH INTERWEBNET, AND ISN'T A0L the SECKZ!? :LOL: 1337
PS I'M A FUCKING LOSER

TheDingo posted:

I am having big issues with HD content on my new HTPC. It's built with the current fad (GA-E7AUM-DS2H and E5200) but I can't get any HD content to be playable at all. I have a 720p H.264 encoded MKV that I am trying to play (over a wired network) in XBMC under XP. The content just plays a few frames and then seems lock up. I thought it was an issue in XBMC (still could be), so I fired up XBMC on my MacBook Pro and managed to stream the same content over wireless with the same 9400m smooth as silk. The hardware difference isn't that drastic, so I don't understand what is wrong. From what I understand, XBMC is rolled with the same decoders for all platforms, so I won't expect a massive difference between platforms either. Any ideas?
Download a copy of MPC-HC, and see how your computer fairs. Just because they're made with the same decoders doesn't mean there going to play with the same performance. A lot of people using xbmc in windows could play 1080p files just fine with FFDShow-MultiThreaded or MPC-HC using DXVA, but the non Direct show codecs of xbmc tend to spoil performance.

If everything plays fine in MPC-HC you can set it up to be your external player in XBMC, so you get the pretty interface of xbmc and good performance.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

Knowledge is born from Curiosity.

TheDingo posted:

Exactly which build number of XBMC are you using?

rugbert
Mar 26, 2003
yea, fuck you
my xbox is about to die so I think I should start building a HTPC. Im not looking for anything amazing, I doubt Ill need it to be a PVR, I hardly watch TV so Im sure I can make due with some cheap tv tuner.

What I need are the minimum specs for building something that can smoothly play HD content from my server (Ill be using a gigabit network) and play blueray discs. Id prefer something very small, and was hoping that the dell studio hybrids would do the job. Im checking out the AVSforums right now, but I have some catching up to do.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
edit: never mind

WhiskeyJuvenile fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Apr 12, 2009

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Actually, can someone help me find a dvi/vga/hdmi (i.e., any one of the three) to YPbPr analog component dongle on newegg?

edit: or do those not exist if the video card doesn't specifically support it?

edit 2: I found this, but I don't know if it will work with this.

WhiskeyJuvenile fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Apr 12, 2009

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

weaaddar posted:

If everything plays fine in MPC-HC you can set it up to be your external player in XBMC, so you get the pretty interface of xbmc and good performance.

Runs super smooth in MPC, so looks like XBMC is the culprit. I guess I need to set up the external stuff (I saw the walkthrough on the forums, but was hoping to avoid having to set it up).

evilalien posted:

Exactly which build number of XBMC are you using?

Version 8.10 (compiled 11/13/08). The build number is blank.

EDIT: Installed the new PRE-9.04 build and it fixed the video, but now there is no audio in those files (and it pops up a message saying it failed to initialize the audio). Sound on everything else still works fine though. The audio in these files are AC3 5.1.

Lifespan fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Apr 12, 2009

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
Ok, fixed the problem by turning off Dolby Digital support in the audio hardware settings. The problem is that my receiver definitely supports DD (that's what I use with my external Blu-Ray player), so I'm left wondering if something isn't set up right. Is there something I need to enable for the HDMI audio output to send AC3 streams?

weaaddar
Jul 17, 2004
HAY GUYS WHAT IS TEH INTERWEBNET, AND ISN'T A0L the SECKZ!? :LOL: 1337
PS I'M A FUCKING LOSER
no ussually theres a setting in filters to do ac3/dts spdif passthrough which works even through hdmi.

Dobermaniac
Jun 10, 2004
I'm still a bit worried about ordering a 5200 and the gigabyte 9400 board. I am going to be using a pinnacle 800i pchd tuner to record OTA broadcasts. I will probably add another tuner later. Will the 5200 have enough power to record two shows at once and play another show back or stream to an xbox 360 at the same time? Would upgrading to a wolfdale 7400 make any difference?

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!
How high end of components do you need to play back 1080p video? If it's only $100-$150 more in parts to play 1080p rather than 720p, I may go for it, but if it is $250 more in parts I likely wont.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

Regnevelc posted:

How high end of components do you need to play back 1080p video? If it's only $100-$150 more in parts to play 1080p rather than 720p, I may go for it, but if it is $250 more in parts I likely wont.

Depends on the source material and player. XBMC does not support video hardware acceleration, so all of the heavy lifting is left to the CPU. I've heard that the threshold for 1080p H.264 decoding is a 2.2Ghz Core 2 Duo or higher. If you have a less strenous codec or a player that will let the video hardware handle some of the work, it will drop.

Lifespan fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Apr 13, 2009

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115018 + 3-4 gigs of RAM.

So, something like this should be more than enough to run 1080p video while running utorrent and SABnzbd.

or should I go with http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115036 and take the extra ghz for the price.

Regnevelc fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Apr 13, 2009

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
uTorrent and SABnzbd will have almost no impact on any modern machine.

Get the E8500. There are very few applications that can really take advantage of four cores and decoders in free media players are not one of them.

rugbert
Mar 26, 2003
yea, fuck you
Ok, from what I've read thus far I have a pretty good idea of what I need but I need to iron out a few questions.

My HTPC is going to be used for probably only 3 things, streaming music, streaming xvid 700mb and 720p/1080p content from my server, and playing emulations. Watching TV is not on my list as I havent really watched TV in 5 years now.

I'll be using a front end because I want it to be easy to use for other people, but from what Ive read so far that makes getting a video card to handle all decoding useless because the software wont offload the work to the GPU. And AMDs stutter when decoding 1080p so Ive got to go with a C2D right? Ive just got to make sure that the CPU can handle high bitrate streaming content and Ill be good. So I guess I need a recommendation for a CPU and motherboard (with HDMI and maybe spdif). Can frontends make the most out of soundcards tho?

Im actually kind of waiting for those Nvidia Ion boards (esp with the new Atom) to start coming out. But if frontends cant offload to GPUs at all then its kind of useless to right?

rugbert fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Apr 13, 2009

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

TheDingo posted:

uTorrent and SABnzbd will have almost no impact on any modern machine.

Get the E8500. There are very few applications that can really take advantage of four cores and decoders in free media players are not one of them.

Thanks for the information!

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

rugbert posted:

I'll be using a front end because I want it to be easy to use for other people, but from what Ive read so far that makes getting a video card to handle all decoding useless because the software wont offload the work to the GPU. And AMDs stutter when decoding 1080p so Ive got to go with a C2D right? Ive just got to make sure that the CPU can handle high bitrate streaming content and Ill be good. So I guess I need a recommendation for a CPU and motherboard (with HDMI and maybe spdif). Can frontends make the most out of soundcards tho?

Im actually kind of waiting for those Nvidia Ion boards (esp with the new Atom) to start coming out. But if frontends cant offload to GPUs at all then its kind of useless to right?

AMDs don't stutter when decoding 1080p as long as you get a fast enough AMD CPU. Intel CPUs are often mentioned as they usually run cooler (and hense quieter) and are pretty similar in price. If you are building something HTPC specific right now, a few Intel CPUs are what will be suggested.

It's true that video hardware is less of an issue when doing high def playback. You just need to make sure you have something good enough to handle realiable 2D output at a 1080p resolution (which is pretty much anything new) and also meet the requirements of the front end. XBMC uses OpenGL and requires a semi-recent GPU (though nothing high end) to smoothly handle animation and transitions in menus. The hot motherboard right now is the Gigabyte GA-E7AUM-DS2H which has a GeForce 9400m on board (plenty for handling HTPC needs), HDMI with audio and HDCP, optical, eSATA, and more in the smaller Micro ATX size. Pair it with a decent CPU (E5200 is popular for price/performance/heat, but something a little faster wouldn't be bad), a match pair of RAM, and some drives and you are set.

The Ion looks interesting, but details on it and real world tests (outside of trade shows) are slim. The Atom is weak, so I wouldn't get my hopes up of it running popular media players flawlessly. You can build a great HTPC in a pretty small size (but not Dreamcast size) right now for about the same price as they have been hinting with Ion.

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!
Which kind of video card should I be looking at for the 1080p playback? I see most do not have HDMI, but that can be solved easily with an DVI to HDMI cable.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130339

Something like this?

Edit: Optical cannot do 7.1 correct? Since I have a 6.1 system with only an optical input I should be looking at 5.1 sound cards.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829118105

This looks like the one that fits my needs.

Regnevelc fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Apr 13, 2009

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

Regnevelc posted:

Which kind of video card should I be looking at for the 1080p playback? I see most do not have HDMI, but that can be solved easily with an DVI to HDMI cable.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130339

Something like this?

Edit: Optical cannot do 7.1 correct? Since I have a 6.1 system with only an optical input I should be looking at 5.1 sound cards.

If you are just using this machine as an HTPC/Torrent machine, that card is way overkill and will have a good ammount of fan noise. DVI->HDMI will work, though going that route loses you the ability of passing audio over HDMI and you cannot support HDCP. I would really just suggest using the Gigabyte GA-E7AUM-DS2H motherboard mentioned in every other post as it includes a GPU that can handle anything you need, includes HDMI with audio and HDCP, and is fanless.

And yes, optical can handle 7.1.

Lifespan fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Apr 13, 2009

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!
Woah, I didn't realize a motherboard like this existed!

I am very surprised that you do not need a high end card for high-def video.

Thanks!

Boris the Blade
Jun 10, 2005
The Bullet-Dodger

TheDingo posted:

I would really just suggest using the Gigabyte GA-E7AUM-DS2H motherboard mentioned in every other post as it includes a GPU that can handle anything you need, includes HDMI with audio and HDCP, and is fanless.
I have a quick question about this.

Since XBMC, I'm assuming, will soon introduce GPU decoding to the Windows client (as it is already present in Linux builds), would this motherboard be able to handle 1080p easily? Just add a cheap(ish) processor, some RAM and a HDD at it, and it's good to go?

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

Boris the Blade posted:

Since XBMC, I'm assuming, will soon introduce GPU decoding to the Windows client (as it is already present in Linux builds), would this motherboard be able to handle 1080p easily? Just add a cheap(ish) processor, some RAM and a HDD at it, and it's good to go?

It can handle 1080p right now without GPU decoding and a cheapish CPU (E5200), but GPU offloading should reduce CPU load. The 9400m does support hardware h.264 decoding. Here is a little note about the Macbook Pro showing the CPU load dropping in half when the 9400m takes over h.264 decoding: http://appleaddiction.net/?p=802

"With full hardware acceleration of Blu-Ray 1.1, H.264 and MPEG-2, the GeForce Series 9 can handle HD video without requiring a high-end CPU."

Lifespan fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Apr 13, 2009

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost

TheDingo posted:

The Ion looks interesting, but details on it and real world tests (outside of trade shows) are slim. The Atom is weak, so I wouldn't get my hopes up of it running popular media players flawlessly.
The damning part is that not all h.264 video encodes can be accelerated by a GPU, so the Ion platform - even if XBMC and other open source media center software get (general) GPU decode acceleration - can only work so well for people. So people using lovely encodes (you know who you are) will probably have to opt for beefier media playback solutions for probably a good long while.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I'm having issues with 1080p. No tearing or anything, but the occasional video freeze-up, video turning black, or the audio and video drift apart requiring me to restart the player. 720p is amazing and perfect.

System:
AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000 Brisbane 2.6GHz
GIGABYTE GA-MA78GM-S2H
2 gigs RAM
Seagate Barracuda 7200.10

Here is my theory: My hard drive is a piece of poo poo. It clicks and grinds like it's 100 years old. Maybe it isn't supplying the necessary data rates for 1080p. I've ordered a Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS which should be a lot better by a lot.

Other theory: Maybe I need a video card. The motherboard's video chipset, ATI Radeon HD 3200, is supposed to support 1080p, but maybe I need a little more power.

Any thoughts?

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

FogHelmut posted:

Any thoughts?

What software are you using to playback? How is the file encoded?

Minty Swagger
Sep 8, 2005

Ribbit Ribbit Real Good

Boris the Blade posted:

Note for all, the latest release (9.0.4 beta) supports NVIDIA GPU acceleration out of the box for windows.
link: http://xbmc.org/blog/2009/04/05/xbmc-904-babylon-alpha-1-released/

if you're still running 8.10 you really owe yourself this upgrade, at LEAST so you can use Aeon STARK as your skin. :)

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

BotchedLobotomy posted:

Note for all, the latest release (9.0.4 beta) supports NVIDIA GPU acceleration out of the box for windows.
link: http://xbmc.org/blog/2009/04/05/xbmc-904-babylon-alpha-1-released/

if you're still running 8.10 you really owe yourself this upgrade, at LEAST so you can use Aeon STARK as your skin. :)

You mean it supports Nvidia GPU acceleration out of the box for Linux. Not Windows.

Aeon STARK is amazing.

evilalien fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Apr 13, 2009

vanilla slimfast
Dec 6, 2006

If anyone needs me, I'll be in the Angry Dome

Dobermaniac posted:

I'm still a bit worried about ordering a 5200 and the gigabyte 9400 board. I am going to be using a pinnacle 800i pchd tuner to record OTA broadcasts. I will probably add another tuner later. Will the 5200 have enough power to record two shows at once and play another show back or stream to an xbox 360 at the same time? Would upgrading to a wolfdale 7400 make any difference?

If you are in the US, the OTA broadcasts will be encoded as MPEG2, so the amount of processing power you need to decode is about the same as DVD. When capturing, you are just writing the bitstream to disk so for your described use case (recording two while playing back a third) is going to be more likely i/o limited by disk or network than by CPU.

TheDingo posted:

And yes, optical can handle 7.1.

Uh, no. S/PDIF (optical or coax) maxes out at 5.1 bitstream (DD/DTS) or 2.0 PCM

evilalien posted:

Aeon STARK is amazing.

I started playing with it a bit the other night. When you downloaded it, did it include any of the backdrops or did you have to grab those separately? I was running it on my myth box which is running Ubuntu 8.10 (Ibex)

vanilla slimfast fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Apr 13, 2009

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

vanilla slimfast posted:

Uh, no. S/PDIF (optical or coax) maxes out at 5.1 bitstream (DD/DTS) or 2.0 PCM

My bad, you are correct.

I grabbed Aeon the other day when I updated to 9.04 and it is really sharp. It does only come with the generic background (except for weather, which looks really nice). I was hoping someone would release a nice generic background pack to match it so I don't have to go searching around the web for good 1080p source images, but I have not seen anything yet.

evilalien
Jul 29, 2005

vanilla slimfast posted:

I started playing with it a bit the other night. When you downloaded it, did it include any of the backdrops or did you have to grab those separately? I was running it on my myth box which is running Ubuntu 8.10 (Ibex)

djh had to take them off the Aeon main site due to bandwidth concerns. You can find them here though: http://xbmc.org/forum/showthread.php?t=48697

Stuntman Mike
Apr 14, 2007
The saucer people are coming!
Edit: I'm dumb

Stuntman Mike fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Apr 14, 2009

0xB16B00B5
Aug 24, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
What plugin do I need to do GPU decoding with media player classic?

dfn_doe
Apr 12, 2005
I FOR ONE WELCOME OUR NEW STUPID FUCKING CATCHPHRASE OVERLORDS
Alright, I've had this thread bookmarked and have checked it daily pretty much since its inception. It has gotten to the point that nearly every page asks a question which has been answered at least once on the previous 2 pages. I'm dropping this one from my thread bookmarks. I consider myself pretty knowledgeable on this topic, but I've tired of repeating the same advice again and again for people who can't be bothered to read back a few pages.

Good luck everyone. Maybe one of you will be kinda enough to PM me when we have a new thread with all the FAQs pinned in the first page.

BTW: there was someone a few days ago who erroneously said that the arcsoft totalmedia 3.5 directshow filters couldn't be called from external programs. They can, I've recently switched from the powerdvd filters to the arcsoft ones when I realized that the latest OEM software for my hdhomerun includes an oem license for arcsoft totalmedia 3.5. For what it's worth the arcsoft filters seem to be a bit more configurable than the cyberlink ones from powerdvd AND they included a sweet deinterlacing filter which is seperate from the main decoder filters.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

TheDingo posted:

What software are you using to playback? How is the file encoded?

Mostly with WinDVD9 for .iso's mounted in Daemon Tools or MagicISO. Although I do sometimes have trouble with the larger .mkv and .wmv files in Windows Media Player, Media Player Classic Homecinema, and VLC media player. Encoded h.264.

rugbert
Mar 26, 2003
yea, fuck you
Is there a reason more people arent going for this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813500022

It's got more or less the same specs as the GA-E7AUM-DS2H but its much smaller. Unless I cant get flawless 1080p playback from this Ill probably go with it so I can throw it into a NES case or something. I just want a small HTPC is all.

Wood for Sheep
May 19, 2006

rugbert posted:

Is there a reason more people arent going for this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813500022

It's got more or less the same specs as the GA-E7AUM-DS2H but its much smaller. Unless I cant get flawless 1080p playback from this Ill probably go with it so I can throw it into a NES case or something. I just want a small HTPC is all.

Well, it's mini ITX not Micro ATX so you'd need a special case for it. Also, it's from a MUCH less reliable company. Gigabyte is one of the most reliable, and I've never heard of Zotac. And the reviews don't help with that matter much.*

*Take the reviews, and my assumptions about them, with a grain of salt. There's only 7, and I usually base my assumptions of the reviews off the negative ones more then positive ones. But that could be just me.

I'm also looking to update my HTPC a bit so if these really are amazing let me hear it!

Wood for Sheep fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Apr 14, 2009

Stuntman Mike
Apr 14, 2007

Wood for Sheep posted:

Well, it's mini ITX not Micro ATX so you'd need a special case for it. Also, it's from a MUCH less reliable company. Gigabyte is one of the most reliable, and I've never heard of Zotac. And the reviews don't help with that matter much.

The reviews for the Zotac 9300 Mini-ITX are actually pretty solid. I'm getting one for a mini gaming box in a few weeks. The real challenge is just finding a case that can fit all the poo poo you want in it.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
There's supposedly a Zotac 9300 with wifi built in floating around somewhere

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stuntman Mike
Apr 14, 2007

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

There's supposedly a Zotac 9300 with wifi built in floating around somewhere

That's the one we're talking about. The Zotac 9300 Mini-ITX Wifi.

Everyone just leaves off the "wifi" part of the name v:v:v