Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Mr. DNA posted:

After a few weeks of checking eBay multiple times daily, I finally found someone willing to ship a used moogerfooger CP-251 to Canada. The auction listed the CP-251 and rack-mount kit for $300. Not the best deal, but better than what I've found before. The listing pictures showed two CP-251s but explained one was broken and was not included. I asked if the seller would sell the broken unit and we agreed on $50.

They arrived in the mail today. I tested the working unit first and everything checked out. I then moved on to the broken unit. I plugged in the 9v power and there was no life. I then tried the other power connector (there are two, one for use when it's rack mounted and one for use on a flat surface). Well, it turns out it works perfectly fine. Apparently the seller didn't even try the other connector.

I opened up the "broken" unit and found the internal plug had fallen out for the other connector. I plugged it back and now both power connectors work perfectly. So I got 2 CP-251s for $350. A good deal in the end.

They came rack mounted so I'm missing side and back panels. That's fine because I plan on leaving them there.

Here they are with the other moogerfoogers. The plan is to take the WarpFactory and MOTU Ultralight out of the rack and put them in a 4U rack along with another patch bay. The 4U rack will then go under my monitor. And thanks to the camera flash I realise I really need to dust.

:gizz: :gizz: :gizz:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
I think I'm gonna drop $250 on a Krappy Guitars "Twiggy" 4-string. (3-string is pictured from some dude on TalkBass)

http://www.krappyguitars.com

Lobster Johnson
Sep 23, 2004

jealous of the flies and the worms inside me

Agreed posted:

Das alot of MOOG.

Das nothin'.

Click here for the full 850x638 image.

It even plays itself. The yellow button one on the left (Freqbox, a fat hard-sync oscillator) routes into the 2nd from the right (MuRF, a sequenced filter) that then routes back into the Freqbox, causing all sorts of psuedo-random bleeps and blorps. Then the analog delay gets involved with the ring-mod in its delay loop, the low-pass filter starts resonating at an audible pitch while the control process does the phantom knob turning act and the whole thing turns into a puppy pile of fat synth madness.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

You moog guys are pretty awesome, just saying, now I'm thinking I need some moog for my signal chain but it just isn't going to happen. They don't make those units for dumb guitarists :cry:

Lobster Johnson
Sep 23, 2004

jealous of the flies and the worms inside me

Agreed posted:

You moog guys are pretty awesome, just saying, now I'm thinking I need some moog for my signal chain but it just isn't going to happen. They don't make those units for dumb guitarists :cry:

Yeah, they do. I'm a dumb guitarist and they're so far up my alley, I walk funny.

They're just old-school synth modules in retro stomp box cases. The normal-ish moogerfoogers are fairly normal effects: the phaser, low-pass filter and analog delay all do the obvious. The ring-mod does clangorous sound like any ring-mod, but is a pretty good tremolo on the less extreme settings.

What makes them awesome is their control voltage ins and outs, which can turn them from mere high quality "standard" effects into crazy synth modules. They're wonderfully explorable.

The wierder two, the Freqbox and MuRF, are definitely not for dumb guitarists so don't bother or might hurt yourself :colbert:

Lobster Johnson fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Apr 9, 2009

Mr. DNA
Aug 9, 2004

Megatronics?

Lobster Johnson posted:

Das nothin'.

That is a really wonderful way to mount them. They could be placed on a table-top right behind a synth and be in perfect position for tweaking. On top of that, it looks really nice. I really need to get my rack mounted up beside my synth.

Lobster Johnson posted:

Then the analog delay gets involved with the ring-mod in its delay loop

I've been trying to buy a used MF-104z delay off eBay for a while but I keep getting outbid. When I get my tax return I might spring for a new one. I really want to try the ring-mod in the delay loop.

Mr. DNA fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Apr 9, 2009

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Scarf posted:

I think I'm gonna drop $250 on a Krappy Guitars "Twiggy" 4-string. (3-string is pictured from some dude on TalkBass)

http://www.krappyguitars.com

Actually sounds pretty good too!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZIFbz3TiDk

KimJongSick
Nov 6, 2008

Minto Took posted:

Death polka with calypso influences?

So basically Gogol Bordello?

Backweb
Feb 14, 2009

My most recent purchases aren't very thrilling compared to everyone else's, though I'm quite happy with them for the most part.

Audio Spectrum mic, Euroboom mic stand (which doesn't match the mic clip, so now i gotta find a different unit to attach my mic to the boom with... might just use ducktape for the meantime), another cable I bought for whatever use I may find for it, and a mysterious retro Fender foot switch with "channel select" and "chorus" buttons from a vinyl thrift store in town.

Close up of the mic, foot switch and cable.

Super close-up of the switch (sorry for the crap quality). There are no model numbers or anything identifiable as to when it was made. Anybody know any details about it? Cos I don't.

I know they're not technically "gear" but...

I bought a B-52's piano music book for a bargain price. Fleetwood Mac's "Tusk" and "Future Games" albums... $6. Best one is David Bowie's "Scary Monsters" in mint condition for $3. :smug:

Edit
VVV Lame... either way, it's mine and nobody else's! HAHA!

Backweb fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Apr 10, 2009

All About Trout
Jul 17, 2007

That footswitch is for an m-80 chorus/princeton chorus/ultimate chorus. Fender put chorus circuits in those amps basically because it was cheaper than putting in reverb tanks.

mainmanedgar
Apr 30, 2005

Backweb posted:

Audio Spectrum mic, Euroboom mic stand (which doesn't match the mic clip, so now i gotta find a different unit to attach my mic to the boom with... might just use ducktape for the meantime)

I have two Euroboom mic stands and I had to take out the smaller thread adapter on my mic clip. If it is a universal clip you should be able to remove the smaller female threads.

Backweb
Feb 14, 2009

mainmanedgar posted:

I have two Euroboom mic stands and I had to take out the smaller thread adapter on my mic clip. If it is a universal clip you should be able to remove the smaller female threads.

I love you so much. I didn't even see that.

One Arm Manny
May 17, 2008
Nothing too exciting here. Today I ordered Tracktion 3. I had been holding off on upgrading from version 2 but I saw Music123 had it on sale for $50 and figured why not.

I've never ordered from them before so here's hoping it goes well.

MorbidYak
Sep 16, 2006

All About Trout posted:

That footswitch is for an m-80 chorus/princeton chorus/ultimate chorus. Fender put chorus circuits in those amps basically because it was cheaper than putting in reverb tanks.

I've got an early 80's princeton chorus and its got a reverb tank...

That does look like a footswitch for a princeton chorus though.

[sico]
Aug 27, 2004
I CANT WAIT TO SEE IT. MY MOTHER GETTING SLAMMED BY FOUR ABORIGINALS THAT IS
I finally got myself an Axiom 61 and the action is alot better then i expected.

gotly
Oct 28, 2007
Economy-Sized

I think I'm in love.

The sound that this guitar makes is just gorgeous. I had never heard of Alvarez before, I bought this one completely based on how it sounds. The electronics are fantastic also, it's the first electric/acoustic that actually sounds like an acoustic guitar being played through the amp. No feedback either when I played it in a cramped basement with drums, an electric guitar and a bass.

Pirateparty
Apr 12, 2007

Scurvy
I got to play a Mesa Triple Rectifier at my local music store the other day, and now I can't stop thinking about it. :(:fh:

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?
So I guess I've got a tele?

Buddy of mine's trying to sell this so he gave it to me to snap some photos and put up some listings but I kinda like it. I think I might buy it from him myself.

Body's gotta go, though. I don't like 3-tone sunburst.

Raze
Aug 13, 2005

I'M GOING HOME.

Pirateparty posted:

I got to play a Mesa Triple Rectifier at my local music store the other day, and now I can't stop thinking about it. :(:fh:

I'm told the only difference between the dual and triple these days is the clean headroom. Can you confirm/deny this? Also, eBay will have triple/duals for at least half of what your local music stores has them listed.

dissin department
Apr 7, 2007

"I has music dysleskia."

Carbohydrates posted:

I'm typically not a fan of it either but it looks gorgeous on that Tele.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

Carbohydrates posted:

You are a heathen and not worthy to play a guitar such as this one.

crooked zoobies
Feb 15, 2009

Carbohydrates posted:

What a waste! thats the nicest tele Ive ever seen....

Marine band Key of D, still learning...

KimJongSick
Nov 6, 2008

dissin department posted:

I'm typically not a fan of it either but it looks gorgeous on that Tele.

I have just one request for it: 1-ply cream binding.

getfuct
Jun 20, 2006

What kinda fucked up tour is this?
i found a fender heartfield talon i'm contemplating on picking up. the heartfields are killer guitars that fender contracted to fujigen gakki to test out their R&D. they're basically late 80s ibanez RGs, but without the shortcomings.

it's got some character to it, but with a few bucks in fixer-upper money i'll have a rippin axe.

Dragon Eye Morrison
May 6, 2007

Boston's "More Than A Feeling" is the world's greatest song

gotly posted:

The sound that this guitar makes is just gorgeous. I had never heard of Alvarez before, I bought this one completely based on how it sounds. The electronics are fantastic also, it's the first electric/acoustic that actually sounds like an acoustic guitar being played through the amp. No feedback either when I played it in a cramped basement with drums, an electric guitar and a bass.

You made an excellent choice. Alvarez are, in my opinion, the best "big-name" acoustic guitar manufacturer out there, particularly for their price. I prefer them immensely over Martin, Taylor, Guild, and Breedlove. I'm surprised you had never heard of Alvarez before; they're pretty well represented by groups ranging from Flogging Molly to Crosby, Stills, & Nash to RatDog to Ani DiFranco.

I'm no fan of dreadnoughts, but that's a pretty drat sexy guitar. I love the very minimalist fingerboard inlay.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.

Carbohydrates posted:

Take your blasphemy elsewhere sir.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?
Wow, you guys are pretty gay for 3-tone. See, I was thinking of having my buddy make me a body for it. It'd be like those pink paisley teles, except black. He says he'll do it for $200. The current body has some ugly marks from a poor bridge humbucker route, too:

Carbohydrates fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Apr 11, 2009

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

Carbohydrates posted:

Wow, you guys are pretty gay for 3-tone. See, I was thinking of having my buddy make me a body for it. It'd be like those pink paisley teles, except black. He says he'll do it for $200. The current body has some ugly marks from a poor bridge humbucker route, too:

Maybe just the pickguard - definitely not the entire thing imo.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Carbohydrates posted:

Looks pretty Brokeback Mountain to me.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?
Yeah but I love paisley guitars!

Click here for the full 612x597 image.

Click here for the full 800x600 image.

All of these are awesome. I will defend this opinion with my life.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

gently caress it, dude, just go with what you want. It's your kit, get it? Make it your own, I say, don't worry about what we think. I do like the custom idea you've got, very Purple Rain. Talk to me about selling the old body when you do it, though :D

Gentlemen, early next week I will be the proud owner of a brand new Tim!

Money's changed hands, now it's just down to shipping it out to me. I'm totally stoked. It's well known now that the currently made Danelectro Cool Cat Transparent Overdrive pedals are SMD clones of the Timmy, which is a slightly higher gain, but boost-less version of the Tim (without the effects loop, and without the additional clipping modes) - I've parted with my TOD, now it's time for a Tim. Glad to be supporting Paul Cochrane, and I already know it will fit my setup like a glove because I know how well the TOD worked. I'm especially looking forward to getting to know its boost, the effects loop, and how the different clipping modes work and sound.

Plus, PaulC is just a killer guy, absolutely cool dude to talk to. The waiting list is a pain, but a necessary evil - he just can't get them made fast enough, and he can't afford to shift to a faster mode of production. I think right now he's only a couple to a few months lead-time, though, plenty of small builders with much more exorbitant pricing run well beyond that. The Timmy's less than a Joe Satriani Satchurator, and while I like the Satch I'd say the Timmy's a much more versatile and universal pedal... The Tim runs higher, but only insofar as the features justify it. He's pushed it all pretty hard to make a go of building the Timmy and Tim full time, yet you can get mass produced pedals that are more expensive. He seems to be really excited now about some stuff he's got coming down the pipe, from his posting over at HC and from talking to him lately. Can't wait to see what he's got coming up - the Tim and Timmy are both based on his 12-year-old original design, so it's sort of an occasion that he's talking about bringing new heat.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Apr 12, 2009

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 8 days!

Carbohydrates posted:

I think your next purchase should be some new glasses.

Backweb
Feb 14, 2009

So I had a great idea late last night: Nab my folks' old turntable and stereo equipment.
I now have a Realistic STA-100 Stereo Receiver:

And atop it is a fancy Realistic LAB-500 turntable:

I'm psyched that the sound is so good. The entire system is practically mint... it smells like the 80s, strangely enough. I dunno when mom and dad first bought it, but it's been sealed in plastic bags for probably 20 years. The Receiver's front plate is beautiful IRL. Pristine and clear, nice sharp 80s-future look to it. :fap:

The speakers are the size of the dresser the system is resting on, so I left 'em and am listening to it through my amp :smith:

Edit: Now I gotta find a 2nd turntable, equally ancient mixing board, talent, and come up with a DJ name

Backweb fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Apr 12, 2009

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.
I've decided I'm definitely going to be buying a new computer with my next paycheck. I'm only going to be buying the tower components for now, but I'll definitely buy the monitors, studio monitors, etc. In the next few months. Total to be spent: $1250. Expect a post on the 24th about it.

Gaza
Jul 16, 2008

Gorilla Salsa posted:

I've decided I'm definitely going to be buying a new computer with my next paycheck. I'm only going to be buying the tower components for now, but I'll definitely buy the monitors, studio monitors, etc. In the next few months. Total to be spent: $1250. Expect a post on the 24th about it.

All I want is 8 string tunes.

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.

Demolisher posted:

All I want is 8 string tunes.

Got a specific request? I could fire up the old Fostex MR-8 HD and give you some poor-quality 3-octave scales...

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Gorilla Salsa posted:

Got a specific request? I could fire up the old Fostex MR-8 HD and give you some poor-quality 3-octave scales...

Bleed by Meshuggah.

Pirateparty
Apr 12, 2007

Scurvy
ML, meet my new wife:

Gorilla Salsa
Dec 4, 2007

Post Post Post.

Thoogsby posted:

Bleed by Meshuggah.

Not tuned for that, but this guy is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cygnus X-1
May 31, 2001

A man whose been trained to ignore pain. Ignore weather. To eat things that would make a billygoat puke.
I'm getting a new drumset for the first time since the late 80's. I'm getting the new Phoenix line from Yamaha, I'm pretty excited. This is the finish (but not the setup I'm getting):

I plan on posting some video footage when they're setup in the shed.