Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Lucien posted:

The -o is for options, but you're not giving any. Try this:
code:
# mount -t smbfs //jim_comp/jim_share /mnt/windows

You da man! Thanks, it worked.

A follow on question...if I'm copying something from a network share to a folder on my laptop, is there anyway to have the transfer show me a progress bar or percentage complete?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Hughmoris posted:

You da man! Thanks, it worked.

A follow on question...if I'm copying something from a network share to a folder on my laptop, is there anyway to have the transfer show me a progress bar or percentage complete?

http://clpbar.sourceforge.net/

There was an other one I read about in a blog linked from Reddit a few weeks ago as well. Useful Linux tools or something was the subject.

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Is there any way to have GDM log straight into a Windows domain? I'd like to move my work machine over to Ubuntu, but for PCI compliance I need to be logged into the domain at all times. I know that Samba can register onto a domain, but I'm needing the entire login process to go through Samba as well.

Mr. Eric Praline
Aug 13, 2004
I didn't like the others, they were all too flat.

Ferg posted:

Is there any way to have GDM log straight into a Windows domain? I'd like to move my work machine over to Ubuntu, but for PCI compliance I need to be logged into the domain at all times. I know that Samba can register onto a domain, but I'm needing the entire login process to go through Samba as well.
Read up on Kerberos. It's really simple to set up as a client, use an AD controller as your Kerberos server and key server.

If you want to get really slick, you can use Kerberos + Samba + Winbind + PAM to perform all your account management, and not even need local users. It's not that hard to do, but I find it to be a little unreliable. Or it was last time I tried about 3 years ago.

There's also LDAP instead of Samba, but it's harder to set up, and you need to add POSIX attribute extensions to your AD.

chizad
Jul 9, 2001

'Cus we find ourselves in the same old mess
Singin' drunken lullabies

Ferg posted:

If you're using Ubuntu (or another distro that has packages for it), you can install likewise-open and use that to join your machine to the domain. It handles all the behind the scenes stuff chryst was talking about, plus UID/GID mappings and all that other fun stuff. In my limited testing, it really didn't work any differently from logging on to a Windows box.

Ferg
May 6, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

chizad posted:

If you're using Ubuntu (or another distro that has packages for it), you can install likewise-open and use that to join your machine to the domain. It handles all the behind the scenes stuff chryst was talking about, plus UID/GID mappings and all that other fun stuff. In my limited testing, it really didn't work any differently from logging on to a Windows box.

This would be ideal. Thanks for the pointer!

Grigori Rasputin
Aug 21, 2000
WE DON'T NEED ROME TELLING US WHAT TO DO
Ok, I've done a little digging and see that my MTA isn't config'd properly to send to gmail. I've found a few guides, but nothing too great - what do I need to know so I don't accidently set up an open relay? :) Exim4 is installed by default, but I don't know poo poo. Really I just want to be able to send email for cron, is there a simpler way?

Dec 10, 2004

lol custom title more like custom DICKS

Grigori Rasputin posted:

Ok, I've done a little digging and see that my MTA isn't config'd properly to send to gmail. I've found a few guides, but nothing too great - what do I need to know so I don't accidently set up an open relay? :) Exim4 is installed by default, but I don't know poo poo. Really I just want to be able to send email for cron, is there a simpler way?

My personal preference is to install postfix, set it to deliver all mail to a specific mailserver (your ISPs mailserver) and set up an alias for root to your username, and from your username to your email address.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

sund posted:

Sure, the only thing I'm familiar with is a straight rsync method for use on the DNS-323 NAS device (http://forum.dsmg600.info/t2125-DNS-323-Rsync-Time-Machine!.html) and it handles incremental backups by using hard links... each dated folder looks like a whole new directory tree. I was just checking that the filesystem supported hard links figuring that rdiff-backup would use a similar method.

So in other words I'm out of ideas.

Well maybe I will give rsync a shot next time. Or I could read the rdiff-backup man page. . .

On a completely unrelated, but scarier note, fsck is calling one of my partitions out!

I updated my kernel from 2.6.28-r3 to 2.6.29-r1 (lol bleeding edge) and upon rebooting I was given a warning that one of my ext4 partitions has an error: resize inode not valid. fsck gives me the option to "recreate", but I have no idea if this is just a minor blip or something that is going to wipe everything on the partition.

I have a current backup (but restoring would take many hours), and I am well aware that things like this happen with new things (ext4), I just have no idea what the best way to proceed is. All I can find are kernel mailing list posts that go way over my head.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...
I wasn't sure if I should go to the effort of posting a new thread, so I figured this would be as good a place as any to ask:

I just set up a Subsonic server for streaming MP3s from my NAS to... pretty much wherever. It seems like a pretty reasonable piece of software, but among a few other minor annoyances I've found, one is that it insists on organizing the musing based on the folder structure instead of ID3 tags.

Is there a script or command-line tool that I can run that will parse a set of MP3 files and re-organize the file structure to match the ID3 tags? Ideally what I'd like to do is set up a cron job or something that periodically checks the $SUBSONIC_MEDIA/incoming folder for uploaded files, reorganizes them, and then moves them to the $SUBSONIC_MEDIA/music directory so that they can then be added to the database.

Any advice?

e: Actually, what would be ideal is a script that, given an input and output path, searches the input folder for MP3s, and intelligently copies them to the output path with the desired file structure.

Hubis fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Apr 9, 2009

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Hubis posted:

Is there a script or command-line tool that I can run that will parse a set of MP3 files and re-organize the file structure to match the ID3 tags? Ideally what I'd like to do is set up a cron job or something that periodically checks the $SUBSONIC_MEDIA/incoming folder for uploaded files, reorganizes them, and then moves them to the $SUBSONIC_MEDIA/music directory so that they can then be added to the database.

Any advice?

e: Actually, what would be ideal is a script that, given an input and output path, searches the input folder for MP3s, and intelligently copies them to the output path with the desired file structure.
You could probably make something out of mp3info command. For example 'mp3info -p "%a/%l/%f" file.mp3" outputs the string "Artist/Album/Filename". Make a script with something like
code:
mkdir "output-path/`mp3info -p "%a" file.mp3`"
mkdir "output-path/`mp3info -p "%a/%l" file.mp3`"
move file.mp3 "output-path/`mp3info -p "%a/%l" file.mp3`"

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

maskenfreiheit fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Nov 28, 2013

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Saukkis posted:

You could probably make something out of mp3info command. For example 'mp3info -p "%a/%l/%f" file.mp3" outputs the string "Artist/Album/Filename". Make a script with something like
code:
mkdir "output-path/`mp3info -p "%a" file.mp3`"
mkdir "output-path/`mp3info -p "%a/%l" file.mp3`"
move file.mp3 "output-path/`mp3info -p "%a/%l" file.mp3`"

Cool, mp3info was exactly what I was looking for (short of something that did it all for me, of course)

Lucid Smog
Dec 13, 2004
Easily understood air pollution.

Hubis posted:

Cool, mp3info was exactly what I was looking for (short of something that did it all for me, of course)

I'll toss out that you could hard-link the MP3 files into your organized directory tree, thus saving space and retaining both trees for your purposes.

parmanaut
Jul 31, 2004
GRADIUSIC
I'm running Windows 7 on my main HD and I installed the Ubuntu 9.04 beta on my other HD. Both of those are working well, and GRUB lets me boot into whichever one I want, but when I plug in my third (media) HD, I get GRUB error 17 and it refuses to boot. I've even tried reinstalling Ubuntu and setting it not to use the third HD, but it still won't boot up as long as it's connected. Anyone know what's wrong?

Mario
Oct 29, 2006
It's-a-me!

dj.TAKA posted:

I'm running Windows 7 on my main HD and I installed the Ubuntu 9.04 beta on my other HD. Both of those are working well, and GRUB lets me boot into whichever one I want, but when I plug in my third (media) HD, I get GRUB error 17 and it refuses to boot. I've even tried reinstalling Ubuntu and setting it not to use the third HD, but it still won't boot up as long as it's connected. Anyone know what's wrong?

It could be throwing off the drive order; does your grub use the (hdx,y) format or uuids to identify partitions? Which grub version are you using? Posting your grub.conf, grub.cfg, or menu.lst would help too.

twofish
Apr 17, 2006

What's the best way to verify the integrity and completeness of a large transfer with many files (i.e. after backing up to an external usb hdd)? Before I format the old system I want to make sure I didn't lose ANYTHING in the 800gb transfer, including many small files. File system is ext4.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

TekLok posted:

What's the best way to verify the integrity and completeness of a large transfer with many files (i.e. after backing up to an external usb hdd)? Before I format the old system I want to make sure I didn't lose ANYTHING in the 800gb transfer, including many small files. File system is ext4.

What method did you use to back up the files? `rsync -a` should always work, with the possible exception of hard links. You could possibly use tripwire to verify integrity, but that may be over board.

waffle iron
Jan 16, 2004
If it were a smaller fileset I would say to tar/gzip it up and do a sha1sum on both.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

falz posted:

What method did you use to back up the files? `rsync -a` should always work, with the possible exception of hard links. You could possibly use tripwire to verify integrity, but that may be over board.

You may want to add -c to actually check the data rather than only that the files are there. If that's all you want to do you could simply do an ls -AR in both directories and diff the result. Or something with find and test -f.

Peanutmonger
Dec 6, 2002

TekLok posted:

You could also use diff with -r and -q (recursive and brief, to only show different files) on the source and destination directories. If there's no output, that means nothing was different, which means nothing was missing/extra.

Sock on a Fish
Jul 17, 2004

What if that thing I said?
I just configured a new file server with a couple of hardware RAID 5 sets that constitute a single LVM volume. Write performance is atrocious. Using iostat I can see that writes will hit one of the RAID sets and peak at 30MB/sec for a little while, then throughput will drop to zero for a couple seconds and then writes will hit the second RAID set, also peaking at about 30MB/sec. This will go back and forth until finished, and happens both locally and over NFS.

I can't figure out what's going on. In all of my Googling I just see people praising LVM for giving them a performance boost.

inveratulo
May 14, 2002
wat
I am configuring Squid to perform some site blocking and I am using a whitelisting approach.

I have properly configured my squid.conf with the following settings:
code:
acl whitelist dstdomain "/etc/squid/whitelist"
http_access allow all whitelist
# And finally deny all other access to this proxy
http_access allow localhost
http_access deny all
In my /etc/squid/whitelist is about 200 or so sites that I wish our VPN'd networks to have access to. All of this works just the way I want it, with one exception: I want to change the site that shows up when a site has been denied.

The traditional method for this would be to specify a deny_info line correlating the ACL rule with the appropriate page to load when that ACL has been violated. However, in a scenario with a whitelist there doesn't appear to be a direct method of pointing the deny to a page of my choosing (since the deny is a catchall and isn't given an ACL name)

Squid appears to use the page /etc/squid/errors/ERR_ACCESS_DENIED for this scenario but I need to point it elsewhere. Should I give up trying to configure it and just dump my page into 'ERR_ACCESS_DENIED' file? or is there a better way to do it?

madkapitolist
Feb 5, 2006
I just downloaded a bunch of hey arnold (old cartoons) and I can't play them with vlc or mplayer... missing windows media player 9 codec...

Someone mentioned something about finding the "restricted access package" for ubuntu but I've only found the restricted extras which still didn't make it work..

Any tips? I am on 9.04 btw.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Playing them with Totem will prompt you to download new codecs (or purchase legal codecs online :iamafag:)

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

TekLok posted:

I prefer the combination of
code:
find PATH -type f -print0 | xargs -0 md5sum >> filechecksums.md5
md5sum -c filechecksums.md5
I think that's pretty much the standard way.

Lucien
May 2, 2007

check it out i'm a samurai ^_^

inveratulo posted:

Squid appears to use the page /etc/squid/errors/ERR_ACCESS_DENIED for this scenario but I need to point it elsewhere. Should I give up trying to configure it and just dump my page into 'ERR_ACCESS_DENIED' file? or is there a better way to do it?
Have you tried
code:
deny_info errorpage.html all

Lucid Smog
Dec 13, 2004
Easily understood air pollution.

Saukkis posted:

I prefer the combination of
code:
find PATH -type f -print0 | xargs -0 md5sum >> filechecksums.md5
I think that's pretty much the standard way.

I have never fully investigated why this may be, but I notice that 'find' seems to 'find' it's files in a random order. It's probably the order of the inodes in the directory or something. If you're going to be comparing two passes of this on different trees, I might also do:
code:
find PATH -type f -print0 | xargs -0 md5sum | sort >> filechecksums.md5

inveratulo
May 14, 2002
wat

Lucien posted:

Have you tried
code:
deny_info errorpage.html all

ahhh Columbus' Egg not sure why I didn't put it together earlier.

roop
May 10, 2002

I am become Roberto, the destroyer of scoring chances
. never mind .

roop fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Apr 14, 2009

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Anyone else updating to 9.04 before it hits release next week?

I installed fresh yesterday to Xubuntu 9.04 and it's more or less a wreck for me.

- Most, if not all, my XFCE settings were lost in the 4.4 -> 4.6 transition.
- Keyboard repeat rate is all manner of messed up.
- Yakuake randomly decides which screen it gets displayed to.
- And the Intel graphics driver performance on my laptop's GMA 950 is absolute crap with dual monitors, it feels like I'm using a system from the early 90s. (enabling UXA won't work in a dual monitor situation with a GMA 950 or older, if anyone knows how to fix that, good god I am *all ears*)
- Font sizes are completely messed up - Firefox and Pidgin especially. Why does Firefox have a small menu/URL bar font when Pidgin's conversation font is huge, and why does fixing this involve messing with font sizes for everything?

Everything I use all day, every day, has somehow been affected or screwed up by 9.04. Some of my comlpaints may be Xubuntu specific problems, but they are nonetheless regressions, when 8.10 also had many of the same regressions. (Intel performance)

At least they finally fixed wireless kill switches on Intel 3000 series wireless chipsets. Which should have never been allowed to break in the first place.

Jesus I'm fast getting disillusioned with Ubuntu.

LiquidRain fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Apr 14, 2009

Sock on a Fish
Jul 17, 2004

What if that thing I said?

Sock on a Fish posted:

I just configured a new file server with a couple of hardware RAID 5 sets that constitute a single LVM volume. Write performance is atrocious. Using iostat I can see that writes will hit one of the RAID sets and peak at 30MB/sec for a little while, then throughput will drop to zero for a couple seconds and then writes will hit the second RAID set, also peaking at about 30MB/sec. This will go back and forth until finished, and happens both locally and over NFS.

I can't figure out what's going on. In all of my Googling I just see people praising LVM for giving them a performance boost.

FYI, I figured this one out. It had nothing to do with LVM, it's just a lovely RAID controller. I took LVM out of the equation and used the raid sets independently and got the same numbers.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

madkapitolist posted:

I just downloaded a bunch of hey arnold (old cartoons) and I can't play them with vlc or mplayer... missing windows media player 9 codec...

Someone mentioned something about finding the "restricted access package" for ubuntu but I've only found the restricted extras which still didn't make it work..

Any tips? I am on 9.04 btw.

mplayer (and possibly vlc too, I'm not sure) look for binary codecs in /usr(/local)/lib/codecs or /usr(/local)/lib/win32. do a locate wmv9dmod.dll and see if anything shows up, if not head over to the mplayer download page and get the (I'm assuming) linux x86 tarball.

Catch 22
Dec 1, 2003
Damn it, Damn it, Damn it!
I am trying to get a USB wireless card to work in CentOS 5.3. LSUSB shows:
code:
Bus 005 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 006 Device 002: ID 03f0:1027 Hewlett-Packard
Bus 006 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 006 Device 003: ID 03f0:1327 Hewlett-Packard
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 1058:0701 Western Digital Technologies, Inc.
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 050d:705a Belkin Components F5D7050A Wireless Adapter
and NDISWRAPPER shows:
code:
rt73 : driver installed
        device (050D:705A) present
I ran the ndiswrapper -m, it created the configuration, but when I "modprobe ndiswrapper" I get a error that its not found.

ifconfig and iwconfig show nothing but the internal ethernet cards. Anyone know what I am forgetting to do?

madkapitolist
Feb 5, 2006

spoon0042 posted:

mplayer (and possibly vlc too, I'm not sure) look for binary codecs in /usr(/local)/lib/codecs or /usr(/local)/lib/win32. do a locate wmv9dmod.dll and see if anything shows up, if not head over to the mplayer download page and get the (I'm assuming) linux x86 tarball.

Hmm did that already and no luck. before i throw in the towel and just rebuild mplayer from source/ etc etc. Will playing it in WINE work?

Grigori Rasputin
Aug 21, 2000
WE DON'T NEED ROME TELLING US WHAT TO DO
Is there anything better than VNC for remote desktop? I've been using it but the performance kind of sucks, especially when compared to Windows' RDP. Also, does anything support actual user auth and encryption rather than just a simple password?

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

Grigori Rasputin posted:

Is there anything better than VNC for remote desktop? I've been using it but the performance kind of sucks, especially when compared to Windows' RDP.

Look into NX (there are free variants). It'll only work between boxes running xorg, but its performance is much better than VNC for the same reason RDP is.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!
Last night dmesg was flooded with a whole lot of EXT4 and drive i/o errors similar to this one:

quote:

EXT4-fs error (device sda1): ext4_find_entry: reading directory #326155 offset 0

Whenever this happens I'm not able to look back at the logs, as trying to write anything to that disk or run any commands not cached in memory just gives an i/o error.

I wasn't able to run any commands or even shutdown as I got a I/O error when I tried anything (any applications running worked but would hang when it tried to access anything off / although mpd was able to keep playing music so it was only the / partition having issues). This is I believe the third time this has happened in the past few months.
Would that be indicating a drive failure or is there something else I should be checking?

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:
What kernel are you running? Chances are you're using an older version of the filesystem.

Other than that, could be both, though I'm leaning away from a hardware error.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!

Zom Aur posted:

What kernel are you running? Chances are you're using an older version of the filesystem.

Other than that, could be both, though I'm leaning away from a hardware error.

I'm running 2.6.28-ARCH. Should mention that I'm running Arch i686. The root partition is on a separate disk from everything else.