Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magwai
Aug 16, 2002
Snail Priest

Martytoof posted:

Thanks, sounds like I'll be wiping these down then.

Also, does anyone know why a 2620XM would report a network module as UNKNOWN? I've tried my NM-1E2W, NM-2E2W, and NM-1E1R2W, and none of the above registe any interfaces. Could it be a defective NM port on the router or does the 2620XM just not support older NMs?

Edit: I just realized I didn't post any IOS versions or anything, I'll post those when I get back from my hockey game tonight. Sorry.

For some reason I thought those modules were not supported on the 2600 series... I could be wrong ( And Kind of Hope I am ) ... I can test a known working 1E2W I have from a 3640 on my 2620, but I'm sure they aren't supported

edit - This link is saying those modules will not work ( except the 2691 ) But the 2600's will support the NM-2W if you can get away without the extra Ethernet port.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps274/products_tech_note09186a00800f9d37.shtml

Magwai fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Apr 8, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

That's the best news I could have hoped for. I actually don't intend to put any NMs in the 2600 but since I have a 90 day warranty on the router I wanted to make sure it (the slot) worked. I'll see if I can't borrow a NM-1FE-TX or something to test it with instead. Thanks!

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Powercrazy posted:

Hmm. I don't think the 7941's support Wideband. 7941G's do as well as 7942's and higher but the normal 7941, doesn't.

Check Settings > User Preferences > Audio Preferences > Wideband Headset on the phone. If the Wideband Headset option isn't there then you are sol.

The setting is there. The are 7941G. I have not ever seen a 7941 nonG except for the 7941GE. Either way, these phones are supposed to support the handset and the codec.

Keep in mind that the G722 codec is independent of Wideband. According to Cisco's own documentation, G722 is supposed to be the default codec for any phone that supports it even if the wideband handset is not present. The ATT guy who originally did the configuration for our call manager set the default for the local region to be G711 instead of 722. I changed it back and it still is not using it. I am going to reboot the call manager in just a few minutes and if that doesn't fix it, then I am calling TAC.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

I scored two 1841s, each with a VWIC-2MFT-T1, for $400. Glory be to the Craigslist.

Now to get around to building this 12.4 lab.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Lowen SoDium posted:

The setting is there. The are 7941G. I have not ever seen a 7941 nonG except for the 7941GE. Either way, these phones are supposed to support the handset and the codec.

Keep in mind that the G722 codec is independent of Wideband. According to Cisco's own documentation, G722 is supposed to be the default codec for any phone that supports it even if the wideband handset is not present. The ATT guy who originally did the configuration for our call manager set the default for the local region to be G711 instead of 722. I changed it back and it still is not using it. I am going to reboot the call manager in just a few minutes and if that doesn't fix it, then I am calling TAC.

Ah I understand then. I'm not super familiar with UC 6.0 so I can't help you anymore than that, good luck :)

jbusbysack
Sep 6, 2002
i heart syd
If you're in Chicago, I just wanted to throw out that my firm is hosting a Chicago Cisco User Group meeting April 14th at 6:30pm in the Loop.

Details in the link.

http://www.meetup.com/The-Chicago-Cisco-Systems-Meetup-Group/

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I've been looking for a CUG in the Southeast Ontario / Toronto area but apparently I'm the only one.

It would be pretty cool to start one but I don't feel at all qualified or connected enough to pull that off :(

inignot
Sep 1, 2003

WWBCD?
Chesapeake NetCraftsmen runs the Cisco Mid-Atlantic User's Group (Maryland & Virginia).

http://www.netcraftsmen.net/cmug/index.html

I've never been to one of their meetings, nor do I work for Chesapeake. However I've been to a couple of their talks at the Cisco Herndon office and I've worked with some ex-Chesapeake people; and I can authoritatively state there is no source of expertise better than Chesapeake.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

I need a tool to simulate a handful of G.711 calls and report back a simulated MOS score, along with jitter and loss.

In the past, one of our telephony vendors has used NetViola's NetAlly tool, but apparently they've been acquired by Fluke, and I can't figure out where the product went.

Anybody have any suggestions?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Lowen SoDium posted:

As far as I know and as far as Cisco's site says the 7941 does NOT support wideband. That's for the 79x2 and 79x5 models as well as the Polycom IP7000 (er..I mean Cisco 7937G :ssh:) only.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

wolrah posted:

As far as I know and as far as Cisco's site says the 7941 does NOT support wideband. That's for the 79x2 and 79x5 models as well as the Polycom IP7000 (er..I mean Cisco 7937G :ssh:) only.

This page, as well as several others, say that the 7941G is supposed to use G722 by default on newer version of call manager and that the 7941G can do wideband if you buy the wideband handset.

Either way, Cisco is working on the problem for me.

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

Just passed CCNA on friday. Took a two week course four years ago, been tinkering on gear and self-studying since, finally did a boot camp all week to just focus on the exam. That's definitely the way to go if you can con an employer into paying for it. You won't learn how to use the gear effectively in a boot camp, but you will learn all the ins and outs of the CCNA. Specifically, how they like to trick you with verbiage and their hard-ons for frame relay and turning off auto-summarize in RIP and EIGRP. Just don't take a boot camp without taking a full length CCNA course or studying your balls off on your own or you'll make a fool out of yourself in a technical interview.

I'll be happy to field questions for the "taking CCNA soon" goons until my memory of the incident bleeds out my ears. Also, PM me if you want goodies that I used to great effect in the lead up to the exam. I'll also send a set of current-as-of-its-printing-on-Monday boot camp books to the first person to pay shipping; include your ZIP for a quote.

On to CCVP via CCNA Voice first. It seems that on June 29 Cisco is going to stop accepting vanilla CCNA as a prereq for CCVP, which sucks. :(

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Lowen SoDium posted:

This page, as well as several others, say that the 7941G is supposed to use G722 by default on newer version of call manager and that the 7941G can do wideband if you buy the wideband handset.

Interesting. I've given up on trying to use any Cisco phones from the current hardware generation on a non-CCM SIP environment (normal Cisco/Microsoft style "standards-based" SIP stack, so many quirks that only Asterisk can handle it by emulating a CM system), so I have a total of one 7941 and it hasn't been removed from storage in months, I was just going by Cisco's main page for each of the various phone models. The 7941 page does not at all mention HD, the 7942 and 7945 pages do. If the 7941 does support wideband though, what's the point of the 7942?

Begby
Apr 7, 2005

Light saber? Check. Black boots? Check. Codpiece? Check. He's more machine than kid now.
Let me preface by saying I have very limited experience with Cisco stuff, so feel free to talk down to me.

Ok, so, we have two warehouses. Here is what we have at each site.

ASA 5505
Cisco 1841

For internet access, each warehouse has a cable modem connected to the ASA with a DSL for backup. The ASAs drop over the DSL when the cable modem goes down.

The two warehouse are connected via a point to point T1 via the Cisco 1841 routers as of last night. This replaced a VPN we had between the two plants that was setup over the cable modems.

Right now it is setup so that if the T1 goes down, local traffic will be rerouted back to the VPN on the cable modems. That is all tested and seems to work fine, except that its really funky with the Mitel phone system. We have to power off all the phones at one location to get it to go back to the T1. That is more of a secondary issue though,

Here is my big question. Can we eliminate the DSL backups which work for poo poo (it fails over, but the DSL is slower than dogshit since the warehouses are in the sticks)? What I would like to have happen is if a cable modem dies then the traffic is rerouted through the T1 and out the cable modem at the other location?

The tech we have working on it says the only way it can happen is if we manually do some commands to load some new config. He seems like he isn't quite the expert he made himself out to be (as he has done a lot of head scratching), so I figure I would do some extra checking to find out.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

You could drop the ASA's entirely, and simply connect the broadband (be it cable or DSL) to the unused FastEthernet interface on the 1841(s).

Although if you have detailed firewalling / content inspection stuff going on, you may prefer to keep the ASAs.

But short answer, yes, you should be able to come up with a dynamic routing scenario whereby you can communicate with the other location over both the primary T1, and over a site-to-site VPN when the T1 is down. That's a very common scenario.

I think the ASA5505's will talk OSPF, so start there.

This might help you: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/vpndevc/ps2030/products_configuration_example09186a00804acfea.shtml

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I'm just a beginner at this stuff myself so take this with a grain of salt but unless I'm misunderstanding your setup I don't think you need the ASA actually doing any WAN routing. Just connect both WAN uplinks (T1 and Cable) to your 1800, get a routing protocol advertising routes between offices. I think you might need to still set up a VPN over the 1800s' cable WAN interface.

But the routing protocol should essentially take care of all that failover for you.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

Do the cable modem connections have static IP's? Or does at least one of them have a static IP?

Begby
Apr 7, 2005

Light saber? Check. Black boots? Check. Codpiece? Check. He's more machine than kid now.
I don't know if I am being entirely clear.

We have a site to site T1. When it goes down we then have a site to site VPN working on the cable modems, this is working great for all site to site traffic and the failover has been tested.

The problem though is the internet. If I load up somethingawful.com at warehouse 1 and the I turn off the cable modem, the site doesn't load (site to site still works fine over the T1 though).

What needs to happen is when the cable modem at warehouse 1 dies, the request needs to go over the T1 and out the cable modem at warehouse 2. According to the tech this scenario is not possible without manually loading a new config.

We do have static IPs at both locations on the cable modems. We also have static IPs on the DSL lines.

We do use the ASAs for stuff. We have some firewall rules setup for our server at rackspace, and we are also using the AnyConnect VPN stuff for roaming users.

Harry Totterbottom
Dec 19, 2008

Begby posted:

We have a site to site T1. When it goes down we then have a site to site VPN working on the cable modems, this is working great for all site to site traffic and the failover has been tested.

The problem though is the internet. If I load up somethingawful.com at warehouse 1 and the I turn off the cable modem, the site doesn't load (site to site still works fine over the T1 though).

What needs to happen is when the cable modem at warehouse 1 dies, the request needs to go over the T1 and out the cable modem at warehouse 2. According to the tech this scenario is not possible without manually loading a new config.

We do have static IPs at both locations on the cable modems. We also have static IPs on the DSL lines.

We do use the ASAs for stuff. We have some firewall rules setup for our server at rackspace, and we are also using the AnyConnect VPN stuff for roaming users.

https://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/vpndevc/ps2030/products_configuration_example09186a00806e880b.shtml

Setting it up as a backup interface might be what you're looking to do.

jbusbysack
Sep 6, 2002
i heart syd

Begby posted:

Have two default routes, both pointing out specific interfaces and weighted accordingly.

When a physical interface goes down, all routes corresponding to it dissapear as well...leaving only your DSL/T1/whatever as a valid default route.

Begby
Apr 7, 2005

Ok, thank you much, I will look at the config this guy has setup and do some reading and see if I can figure this all out.

I appreciate all the help.

cptInsane0
Apr 11, 2007

...and a clown with no head
The backup interface should be ok, as long as you set some static routes on said interface. It is my understanding that when the cable goes down, you still have connectivity to the other location, but no internet, so you want to route your internet traffic through their connection on the other side.

You just need to set the backup interface, and give it a default route, and possibly a static route as well, and set the metric higher than your regular route.

Also, with those ASA's you will most likely have to make some access rules, depending on the security levels of all the involved interfaces.

Begby
Apr 7, 2005

cptInsane0 posted:

The backup interface should be ok, as long as you set some static routes on said interface. It is my understanding that when the cable goes down, you still have connectivity to the other location, but no internet, so you want to route your internet traffic through their connection on the other side.

You just need to set the backup interface, and give it a default route, and possibly a static route as well, and set the metric higher than your regular route.

Yes, this is exactly it, when the modem goes down we still have site to site but no internet.

I'll look into the backup interface.

Thanks!

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
Your backup route won't actually kick in unless the ethernet interface facing that direction actually goes down. You can use IP SLA to track some service (ping 4.2.2.2 for example). If the response fails (cable modem down), it will change your route.

This was the first hit that google turned up for it and has a decent example:

http://www.inacom-sby.net/Shawn/post/2007/11/Cisco-IP-SLA-for-failover.aspx

cptInsane0
Apr 11, 2007

I assumed you were already aware of tracking, since you have failover set up going the other direction, but if not, yes, do what he said. Depending on how much overhead you are willing to have, you can set it to check pretty often. I set mine around 10 seconds or less.

Begby
Apr 7, 2005

Ahh, this is what the tech mentioned. Something about how if the cable modem went down, the cisco would not actually see it go down since the connection would still be there to the router.

I took a look at the config last night and it appears it is setup for backup, but it just doesn't work, so apparently the solution is almost there. I might try just unplugging the cable modem and see if it fails over right, if so I'll try to implement this.

Thanks all.

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002
More dog whistles than a Petco

Begby posted:

Ahh, this is what the tech mentioned. Something about how if the cable modem went down, the cisco would not actually see it go down since the connection would still be there to the router.

I took a look at the config last night and it appears it is setup for backup, but it just doesn't work, so apparently the solution is almost there. I might try just unplugging the cable modem and see if it fails over right, if so I'll try to implement this.

Thanks all.

So track on the cable modem's default gateway. Once that IP stops responding to probes the ASA will flip routes. It doesn't have to be a directly connected host iirc.

cptInsane0
Apr 11, 2007

You do recall correctly.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
Help me troubleshoot a NAT problem in my Cisco 2600 series router.

I run a dedicated game server on a windows box behind a router but for some reason it stopped accepting connections. Internally I can connect to it, so I know the server is working properly.

I haven't made any changes to the configuration in ages, but I powered off the router during a colo rack move, so I suppose I neglected to save a runing config. meh :(

I've been running around in circles on this one and I need another set of eyes to look at my config to see what I've missed.

code:
Router#sho run
Building configuration...

Current configuration : 3562 bytes
!
version 12.3
service timestamps debug uptime
service timestamps log datetime localtime
no service password-encryption
!
hostname router
!
boot-start-marker
boot system flash 123-20.bin
boot-end-marker
!
enable secret 
enable password 
!
no aaa new-model
ip subnet-zero
ip cef
!
!
no ip domain lookup
!
ip audit po max-events 100
!
!
interface Ethernet0/0
 description Inside Interface
 ip address 10.1.0.1 255.255.255.0
 ip directed-broadcast
 ip nat inside
 full-duplex
!
interface Ethernet1/0
 description Outside Interface
 ip address x.y.z.31 255.255.255.0
 ip directed-broadcast
 ip nat outside
 full-duplex
!
ip nat pool mypool x.y.z.33 x.y.z.33 prefix-length 24
ip nat inside source list 1 pool mypool overload
ip nat inside source static tcp 10.1.0.10 22 x.y.z.31 22 extendable
ip nat inside source static udp 10.1.0.10 27900 x.y.z.31 27900 extendable
ip nat inside source static udp 10.1.0.10 27910 x.y.z.31 27910 extendable
ip nat inside source static udp 10.1.0.10 27901 x.y.z.31 27901 extendable
ip nat inside source static udp 10.1.0.10 27902 x.y.z.31 27902 extendable
ip nat inside source static udp 10.1.0.10 27903 x.y.z.31 27903 extendable
ip nat inside source static udp 10.1.0.10 27904 x.y.z.31 27904 extendable
ip nat inside source static udp 10.1.0.10 27905 x.y.z.31 27905 extendable
ip nat inside source static udp 10.1.0.10 27906 x.y.z.31 27906 extendable
ip nat inside source static udp 10.1.0.10 27907 x.y.z.31 27907 extendable
ip nat inside source static udp 10.1.0.10 27908 x.y.z.31 27908 extendable
ip nat inside source static udp 10.1.0.10 27909 x.y.z.31 27909 extendable
no ip http server
no ip http secure-server
ip classless
ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 x.y.z.1
ip route 10.2.0.0 255.255.255.0 10.1.0.10
!
!
logging 10.1.0.10
access-list 1 permit 10.1.0.11
access-list 1 permit 10.1.0.10
access-list 1 permit 10.1.0.12
access-list 12 permit 10.1.0.10
!
snmp-server engineID local 0000000902000030946138C0
snmp-server community public RO
snmp-server enable traps tty
!
!
!
!
!
line con 0
line aux 0
line vty 0 4
 access-class 12 in
 password 
 login
!
!
end
Outbound connections are set up to use the .33 IP address, whie incoming connection attempts to .31 are mapped to various ports in the DMZ internally.

One thing I see that I don't understand is that when I do a sho ip nat translations among other things I have this:

code:
Lightning#sho ip nat translations
Pro Inside global         Inside local          Outside local         Outside global
udp x.y.z.31:1098    10.1.0.10:27910       12.228.189.162:59018  12.228.189.162:59018
udp x.y.z.31:1099    10.1.0.10:27910       12.228.189.162:59018  12.228.189.162:59018
udp x.y.z.31:1100    10.1.0.10:27910       12.228.189.162:59062  12.228.189.162:59062
udp x.y.z.31:1101    10.1.0.10:27910       12.228.189.162:59062  12.228.189.162:59062
udp x.y.z.31:1102    10.1.0.10:27910       12.228.189.162:59080  12.228.189.162:59080
udp x.y.z.31:1103    10.1.0.10:27910       12.228.189.162:59080  12.228.189.162:59080
udp x.y.z.31:1105    10.1.0.10:27910       12.228.189.162:59122  12.228.189.162:59122
udp x.y.z.31:1106    10.1.0.10:27910       12.228.189.162:59122  12.228.189.162:59122
udp x.y.z.31:1107    10.1.0.10:27910       12.228.189.162:59179  12.228.189.162:59179
udp x.y.z.31:1108    10.1.0.10:27910       12.228.189.162:59179  12.228.189.162:59179
udp x.y.z.31:1109    10.1.0.10:27910       12.228.189.162:59211  12.228.189.162:59211
udp x.y.z.31:1110    10.1.0.10:27910       12.228.189.162:59211  12.228.189.162:59211
udp x.y.z.31:1067    10.1.0.10:27910       212.187.246.221:52896 212.187.246.221:52896
udp x.y.z.31:1111    10.1.0.10:27910       12.228.189.162:59275  12.228.189.162:59275
udp x.y.z.31:1112    10.1.0.10:27910       12.228.189.162:59275  12.228.189.162:59275
udp x.y.z.31:1113    10.1.0.10:27910       12.228.189.162:59307  12.228.189.162:59307
udp x.y.z.31:1114    10.1.0.10:27910       12.228.189.162:59307  12.228.189.162:59307
udp x.y.z.31:1115    10.1.0.10:27910       12.228.189.162:59310  12.228.189.162:59310
udp x.y.z.31:1116    10.1.0.10:27910       12.228.189.162:59310  12.228.189.162:59310
udp x.y.z.31:1104    10.1.0.10:27910       217.163.27.85:54618   217.163.27.85:54618
udp x.y.z.31:1117    10.1.0.10:27910       12.228.189.162:59371  12.228.189.162:59371
udp x.y.z.31:1118    10.1.0.10:27910       12.228.189.162:59371  12.228.189.162:59371
udp x.y.z.31:1119    10.1.0.10:27910       12.228.189.162:59524  12.228.189.162:59524
udp x.y.z.31:1121    10.1.0.10:27910       12.228.189.162:59524  12.228.189.162:59524
udp x.y.z.31:1120    10.1.0.10:27910       12.228.189.162:59525  12.228.189.162:59525
udp x.y.z.31:1122    10.1.0.10:27910       12.228.189.162:59525  12.228.189.162:59525
udp x.y.z.31:1151    10.1.0.10:27910       74.86.155.169:27900   74.86.155.169:27900
udp x.y.z.31:1123    10.1.0.10:27910       12.228.189.162:59540  12.228.189.162:59540
udp x.y.z.31:1124    10.1.0.10:27910       12.228.189.162:59540  12.228.189.162:59540
udp x.y.z.31:1125    10.1.0.10:27910       12.228.189.162:59577  12.228.189.162:59577
udp x.y.z.31:1126    10.1.0.10:27910       12.228.189.162:59577  12.228.189.162:59577
udp x.y.z.31:1127    10.1.0.10:27910       12.228.189.162:59582  12.228.189.162:59582
udp x.y.z.31:1128    10.1.0.10:27910       12.228.189.162:59582  12.228.189.162:59582
udp x.y.z.31:1129    10.1.0.10:27910       12.228.189.162:59624  12.228.189.162:59624
udp x.y.z.31:1130    10.1.0.10:27910       12.228.189.162:59624  12.228.189.162:59624
udp x.y.z.31:1131    10.1.0.10:27910       12.228.189.162:59668  12.228.189.162:59668
udp x.y.z.31:1132    10.1.0.10:27910       12.228.189.162:59668  12.228.189.162:59668
udp x.y.z.31:1133    10.1.0.10:27910       12.228.189.162:59678  12.228.189.162:59678
udp x.y.z.31:1134    10.1.0.10:27910       12.228.189.162:59678  12.228.189.162:59678
udp x.y.z.31:1204    10.1.0.10:27910       63.144.111.10:27901   63.144.111.10:27901
udp x.y.z.31:1044    10.1.0.10:27910       12.228.189.162:58221  12.228.189.162:58221
udp x.y.z.31:1045    10.1.0.10:27910       12.228.189.162:58221  12.228.189.162:58221
udp x.y.z.31:1046    10.1.0.10:27910       12.228.189.162:58270  12.228.189.162:58270
udp x.y.z.31:1047    10.1.0.10:27910       12.228.189.162:58270  12.228.189.162:58270
udp x.y.z.31:1049    10.1.0.10:27910       12.228.189.162:58369  12.228.189.162:58369
udp x.y.z.31:1050    10.1.0.10:27910       12.228.189.162:58369  12.228.189.162:58369
udp x.y.z.31:1051    10.1.0.10:27910       12.228.189.162:58372  12.228.189.162:58372
udp x.y.z.31:1052    10.1.0.10:27910       12.228.189.162:58372  12.228.189.162:58372
udp x.y.z.31:1053    10.1.0.10:27910       12.228.189.162:58433  12.228.189.162:58433
udp x.y.z.31:1054    10.1.0.10:27910       12.228.189.162:58433  12.228.189.162:58433
udp x.y.z.31:1055    10.1.0.10:27910       12.228.189.162:58451  12.228.189.162:58451
udp x.y.z.31:1057    10.1.0.10:27910       12.228.189.162:58451  12.228.189.162:58451
udp x.y.z.31:1056    10.1.0.10:27910       12.228.189.162:58452  12.228.189.162:58452
udp x.y.z.31:1058    10.1.0.10:27910       12.228.189.162:58452  12.228.189.162:58452
udp x.y.z.31:1059    10.1.0.10:27910       12.228.189.162:58485  12.228.189.162:58485
udp x.y.z.31:1060    10.1.0.10:27910       12.228.189.162:58485  12.228.189.162:58485
udp x.y.z.31:1061    10.1.0.10:27910       12.228.189.162:58515  12.228.189.162:58515
udp x.y.z.31:1062    10.1.0.10:27910       12.228.189.162:58515  12.228.189.162:58515
udp x.y.z.31:1063    10.1.0.10:27910       12.228.189.162:58528  12.228.189.162:58528
udp x.y.z.31:1064    10.1.0.10:27910       12.228.189.162:58528  12.228.189.162:58528
udp x.y.z.31:1065    10.1.0.10:27910       12.228.189.162:58575  12.228.189.162:58575
udp x.y.z.31:1066    10.1.0.10:27910       12.228.189.162:58575  12.228.189.162:58575
udp x.y.z.31:1068    10.1.0.10:27910       12.228.189.162:58617  12.228.189.162:58617
udp x.y.z.31:1069    10.1.0.10:27910       12.228.189.162:58617  12.228.189.162:58617
udp x.y.z.31:1070    10.1.0.10:27910       12.228.189.162:58627  12.228.189.162:58627
udp x.y.z.31:1071    10.1.0.10:27910       12.228.189.162:58627  12.228.189.162:58627
udp x.y.z.31:1072    10.1.0.10:27910       12.228.189.162:58693  12.228.189.162:58693
udp x.y.z.31:1073    10.1.0.10:27910       12.228.189.162:58693  12.228.189.162:58693
udp x.y.z.31:1048    10.1.0.10:27910       208.167.232.62:57146  208.167.232.62:57146
udp x.y.z.31:1074    10.1.0.10:27910       12.228.189.162:58752  12.228.189.162:58752
udp x.y.z.31:1075    10.1.0.10:27910       12.228.189.162:58752  12.228.189.162:58752
udp x.y.z.31:1076    10.1.0.10:27910       12.228.189.162:58762  12.228.189.162:58762
udp x.y.z.31:1077    10.1.0.10:27910       12.228.189.162:58762  12.228.189.162:58762
udp x.y.z.31:1078    10.1.0.10:27910       12.228.189.162:58785  12.228.189.162:58785
udp x.y.z.31:1079    10.1.0.10:27910       12.228.189.162:58785  12.228.189.162:58785
udp x.y.z.31:1080    10.1.0.10:27910       12.228.189.162:58805  12.228.189.162:58805
udp x.y.z.31:1081    10.1.0.10:27910       12.228.189.162:58805  12.228.189.162:58805
udp x.y.z.31:1082    10.1.0.10:27910       12.228.189.162:58819  12.228.189.162:58819
udp x.y.z.31:1083    10.1.0.10:27910       12.228.189.162:58819  12.228.189.162:58819
udp x.y.z.31:1084    10.1.0.10:27910       12.228.189.162:58828  12.228.189.162:58828
udp x.y.z.31:1085    10.1.0.10:27910       12.228.189.162:58828  12.228.189.162:58828
udp x.y.z.31:1086    10.1.0.10:27910       12.228.189.162:58872  12.228.189.162:58872
udp x.y.z.31:1087    10.1.0.10:27910       12.228.189.162:58872  12.228.189.162:58872
udp x.y.z.31:1088    10.1.0.10:27910       12.228.189.162:58900  12.228.189.162:58900
udp x.y.z.31:1089    10.1.0.10:27910       12.228.189.162:58900  12.228.189.162:58900
udp x.y.z.31:1090    10.1.0.10:27910       12.228.189.162:58924  12.228.189.162:58924
udp x.y.z.31:1091    10.1.0.10:27910       12.228.189.162:58924  12.228.189.162:58924
udp x.y.z.31:27900   10.1.0.10:27900       ---                   ---
udp x.y.z.31:27901   10.1.0.10:27901       ---                   ---
udp x.y.z.31:27902   10.1.0.10:27902       ---                   ---
udp x.y.z.31:27903   10.1.0.10:27903       ---                   ---
udp x.y.z.31:27904   10.1.0.10:27904       ---                   ---
udp x.y.z.31:27905   10.1.0.10:27905       ---                   ---
udp x.y.z.31:27906   10.1.0.10:27906       ---                   ---
udp x.y.z.31:27907   10.1.0.10:27907       ---                   ---
udp x.y.z.31:27908   10.1.0.10:27908       ---                   ---
udp x.y.z.31:27909   10.1.0.10:27909       ---                   ---
udp x.y.z.31:27910   10.1.0.10:27910       ---                   ---
udp x.y.z.31:1092    10.1.0.10:27910       12.228.189.162:58947  12.228.189.162:58947
udp x.y.z.31:1093    10.1.0.10:27910       12.228.189.162:58947  12.228.189.162:58947
udp x.y.z.31:1094    10.1.0.10:27910       12.228.189.162:58971  12.228.189.162:58971
udp x.y.z.31:1095    10.1.0.10:27910       12.228.189.162:58971  12.228.189.162:58971
udp x.y.z.31:1096    10.1.0.10:27910       12.228.189.162:58987  12.228.189.162:58987
udp x.y.z.31:1097    10.1.0.10:27910       12.228.189.162:58987  12.228.189.162:58987

which looks to me like my connection attempts are just crawling up the port list. I'm not sure if that's significant, because honestly, I don't really know routers anymore.

The 12.228.189.162 address is me trying to connect through the game and the other IP addresses are heartbeats to master servers (which are failing because my server isn't listed anymore).

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Spanning tree putting a port into blocking mode also changes the port's status light to amber, correct?

Just want to make sure that my port isn't dying or something. So far blocking mode is my working hypothesis but I can't find confirmation on Cisco's site.

As an aside, hot drat I love working with my new home lab :haw:

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Apr 16, 2009

cronjob
Nov 1, 2003
うらぎりもの

Agrikk posted:

I run a dedicated game server on a windows box behind a router but for some reason it stopped accepting connections. Internally I can connect to it, so I know the server is working properly.

I haven't made any changes to the configuration in ages, but I powered off the router during a colo rack move, so I suppose I neglected to save a runing config. meh :(

I've been running around in circles on this one and I need another set of eyes to look at my config to see what I've missed.

<snip>

which looks to me like my connection attempts are just crawling up the port list. I'm not sure if that's significant, because honestly, I don't really know routers anymore.

The 12.228.189.162 address is me trying to connect through the game and the other IP addresses are heartbeats to master servers (which are failing because my server isn't listed anymore).

Try getting rid of the "extendable" keyword at the end of the NAT statements. I don't think you need it. Of course any change you make probably won't take effect until you do a "clear ip nat translations *" on the router. Sometimes you'll have to temporarily remove the "ip nat inside" statement before the clear command will take.

Also, I think you may be hitting this bug. Do you have a more recent IOS image to try?

CSCsb07649 Bug Details
NAT failure cause of incorrect port allocation with inside-static UDP
Symptoms: When UDP packets enter from the outside of a network to the inside
of a network, new extended entries are created with an incorrect inside
global port number in the translation entry. (Note that inside local port
numbers are allocated correctly.) For each transferred NATted packet, one new
entry is created with an incremented inside global port number. After the
port pool has become exhausted, new extendable entries can no longer be
created, preventing packets form being translated via NAT.

Conditions: This symptom is observed on a Cisco router that has the
ip nat inside source static udp local-ip
local-port global-ip global-port extendable
command enabled. The symptom may occur for all UDP ports that are assigned as
system ports.

The symptom does not occur for packets that pass from the inside of the
network to the outside of the network, nor for TCP packets.

Temporary Workaround: Reload the router to release the incorrectly allocated
ports. This is a temporary workaround because the port pool will become
exhausted again.
Status
Fixed

Severity
2 - severe

Last Modified
In Last month

Product
Cisco IOS software

Technology

1st Found-In
12.3(18)M
12.3M
Known Affected Versions This link will launch a new window.

Fixed-In
12.4(2.7)M
12.4(2.9)T
12.4(22.3.4)PIC1
12.4(24.5.2)PIC1
Related Bug Information

ragzilla
Sep 9, 2005
don't ask me, i only work here

Martytoof posted:

Spanning tree putting a port into blocking mode also changes the port's status light to amber, correct?

Just want to make sure that my port isn't dying or something. So far blocking mode is my working hypothesis but I can't find confirmation on Cisco's site.

As an aside, hot drat I love working with my new home lab :haw:

Depending on the platform (and if it's a trunk, iirc if it's a trunk with at least 1 unblocked it goes green) it will turn amber. If the port is receiving errors it will alternate amber/green intermittently.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yeah, I'm working with two 2950s and one 2900. I just threw both 2950s into primary and secondary root roles and the 2900's redundant trunk went amber as expected. Thanks!

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Agrikk posted:

The other thing is to make sure that you are forwarding tcp connections if you need them.

Otherwise make srue you've got the correct ports forwarded, get rid of extendable, and save the config, then reload the router. I know you shouldn't have to reload it with Cisco gear, but you aren't exactly a service provider, so just do it anyway.

Oh also instead of using an external IP Address you might try just using an interface. For mine I use sometihng like this:
code:
ip nat inside source static tcp 10.10.10.7 19009 interface FastEthernet4 19009
Where Fa4 is the port my Cable modem connects to.

ate shit on live tv fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Apr 16, 2009

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

cronjob posted:

Try getting rid of the "extendable" keyword at the end of the NAT statements. I don't think you need it. Of course any change you make probably won't take effect until you do a "clear ip nat translations *" on the router. Sometimes you'll have to temporarily remove the "ip nat inside" statement before the clear command will take.

Also, I think you may be hitting this bug. Do you have a more recent IOS image to try?

"Extendable" is added automatically to the end of the statement. I tried removing a line and then readding it without the extendable at the end, but the line appeared in my running config with it added.

Also, I tried the workaround suggestion of reloading the router, but it didn't help. I don't have support for this router anymore so I don't have access to newer flavors of the IOS.

Herv
Mar 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

Agrikk posted:

"Extendable" is added automatically to the end of the statement. I tried removing a line and then readding it without the extendable at the end, but the line appeared in my running config with it added.

Also, I tried the workaround suggestion of reloading the router, but it didn't help. I don't have support for this router anymore so I don't have access to newer flavors of the IOS.

Hrm this just doesn't seem to add up. If you can, remove all the nat configuration and start over with this. I wonder if as soon as one static nat statement is extendable, all have to be as well.

access-list 110 deny ip 10.0.0.0 0.255.255.255 10.0.0.0 0.255.255.255
access-list 110 deny ip 10.0.0.0 0.255.255.255 172.16.0.0 0.15.255.255
access-list 110 deny ip 10.0.0.0 0.255.255.255 192.168.0.0 0.0.255.255
access-list 110 permit ip 10.1.0.0 0.0.0.255 any
access-list 110 permit ip 10.2.0.0 0.0.0.255 any

ip nat inside source list 110 interface Ethernet0/0 overload

ip nat inside source static tcp 10.1.0.10 22 Interface Ethernet 0/0 22
ip nat inside source static udp 10.1.0.10 27900 Interface Ethernet0/0 27900
ip nat inside source static udp 10.1.0.10 27910 Interface Ethernet0/0 27910
ip nat inside source static udp 10.1.0.10 27901 Interface Ethernet0/0 27901
ip nat inside source static udp 10.1.0.10 27902 Interface Ethernet0/0 27902
ip nat inside source static udp 10.1.0.10 27903 Interface Ethernet0/0 27903
ip nat inside source static udp 10.1.0.10 27904 Interface Ethernet0/0 27904
ip nat inside source static udp 10.1.0.10 27905 Interface Ethernet0/0 27905
ip nat inside source static udp 10.1.0.10 27906 Interface Ethernet0/0 27906
ip nat inside source static udp 10.1.0.10 27907 Interface Ethernet0/0 27907
ip nat inside source static udp 10.1.0.10 27908 Interface Ethernet0/0 27908
ip nat inside source static udp 10.1.0.10 27909 Interface Ethernet0/0 27909

Unless you have to have outbound ip's come from the 33 just leave it if it works.

The one thing that doesn't look good to me is the inside global and local ports aren't matching up. The first two columns. Although badly named they should show the mapping of ports on the outside interface to the inside host. Your outside port is wack. Here's some of my active translations, UDP and TCP. Mine are symmetrical, what's on the outside is on the inside.

Thank goodness for find and replace.

code:
herv-fw#sh ip nat translations
Pro Inside global         Inside local          Outside local         Outside global
tcp 96.232.180.X:32000   10.10.1.2:32000       58.62.220.124:37231   58.62.220.124:37231
tcp 96.232.180.X:32000   10.10.1.2:32000       79.179.17.117:2463    79.179.17.117:2463
tcp 96.232.180.X:32000   10.10.1.2:32000       87.101.154.10:3595    87.101.154.10:3595
tcp 96.232.180.X:32000   10.10.1.2:32000       ---                   ---
tcp 96.232.180.X:49168   10.10.1.2:49168       69.25.21.229:12975    69.25.21.229:12975
tcp 96.232.180.X:49171   10.10.1.2:49171       139.78.138.54:54724   139.78.138.54:54724
tcp 96.232.180.X:49278   10.10.1.2:49278       82.234.171.8:53926    82.234.171.8:53926
tcp 96.232.180.X:49294   10.10.1.2:49294       82.234.171.8:53926    82.234.171.8:53926
tcp 96.232.180.X:49307   10.10.1.2:49307       24.125.190.95:24703   24.125.190.95:24703
tcp 96.232.180.X:49332   10.10.1.2:49332       81.65.134.182:21469   81.65.134.182:21469
tcp 96.232.180.X:49349   10.10.1.2:49349       87.101.154.10:60734   87.101.154.10:60734
tcp 96.232.180.X:49366   10.10.1.2:49366       200.7.40.36:50072     200.7.40.36:50072
tcp 96.232.180.X:49423   10.10.1.2:49423       81.65.134.182:21469   81.65.134.182:21469
tcp 96.232.180.X:49439   10.10.1.2:49439       82.234.171.8:53926    82.234.171.8:53926
tcp 96.232.180.X:49478   10.10.1.2:49478       200.7.40.36:50072     200.7.40.36:50072
tcp 96.232.180.X:49483   10.10.1.2:49483       82.234.171.8:53926    82.234.171.8:53926
tcp 96.232.180.X:49519   10.10.1.2:49519       81.65.134.182:21469   81.65.134.182:21469
tcp 96.232.180.X:49528   10.10.1.2:49528       24.125.190.95:24703   24.125.190.95:24703
tcp 96.232.180.X:49540   10.10.1.2:49540       82.234.171.8:53926    82.234.171.8:53926

udp 96.232.180.X:62996   10.10.1.2:62996       24.178.111.163:2109   24.178.111.163:2109
udp 96.232.180.X:62996   10.10.1.2:62996       69.140.228.65:41205   69.140.228.65:41205
udp 96.232.180.X:62996   10.10.1.2:62996       72.76.33.155:14624    72.76.33.155:14624
udp 96.232.180.X:62996   10.10.1.2:62996       72.253.211.132:62485  72.253.211.132:62485
udp 96.232.180.X:62996   10.10.1.2:62996       80.192.170.151:43788  80.192.170.151:43788
udp 96.232.180.X:62996   10.10.1.2:62996       90.149.44.14:50518    90.149.44.14:50518
udp 96.232.180.X:62996   10.10.1.2:62996       219.126.146.7:14966   219.126.146.7:14966

edit: added nat statement for the 10.2 network.

Herv fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Apr 17, 2009

Man Yam
Aug 31, 2004
Pickle. No! You pickle!
Not new to networking, and not quite out of my depth (yet), but certainly undergoing a sink or swim trial at a new job. I've done some simple networking - set up LANs, configure vlans, vpn, ACLs, etc. and I can muddle may way through an IOS and configuring Cisco stuff (Google and reference books are my friends).

Here is the current situation:

We are a "service provider" organization and will be conducting B2B transactions with a customer. They need access to our internal mainframe via a public IP address. Easy enough I assign a public IP and NAT it. I am running into problems thinking of a topology to support the rest of the requirements.

We have 1 main site in Nebraska and a remote site in Oklahoma. Our NE office has a fiber connection to our ISP, and we have a 10 Mb E-WAN (metropolitan ethernet) connection to OK. There is an ASA 5520 in NE with the outside interface connected to the ISP, an inside for the internal, a DMZ which is unused (guest wireless but they want to get rid of it) and the fourth interface is connected to a switch in our OK office via the E-WAN.

current

The customer will be installing a dedicated circuit and routers from their main site in Illinois to our NE office, and another set from their secondary Delaware site to our OK office. All transactions will run from Illinois to Nebraska. If the IL->NE link goes down, traffic will reroute from DE->NE. If our primary site in NE dies for some reason, traffic will go DE->OK. Our customer wanted to use either BGP or EIGRP to handle the routing and I figured I could learn EIGRP quicker than BGP, plus I'm less likely to break something (at least that is what I am thinking).

Here are two topology diagrams showing the options I am considering.

option 1

Click here for the full 644x441 image.

With the switches I thought about setting up VLANs and ACLs to limit connections. The ISP and outside interface would be on the same public VLAN, and the C1 Router and the DMZ interface on another private VLAN in NE. I would connect the two switches in NE and OK via stacking over the E-WAN and configure the same VLANs in OK. I should set up an encrypted tunnel between the two ASAs, but if I setup the ACLs correctly it should prevent any "public" connections from seeing the "private" VLAN, right? I am thinking of using Catalyst 3560s with the IP Services image.

option 2

Click here for the full 644x333 image.

Here I am using the ASAs to handle all traffic and routing. Our current ASA is not using much of its CPU currently and I do not see it changing drastically (right now averaging 2% load).

Am I on the right track?

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Herv posted:

New NAT statements.

Thanks Herv!

I remote into the site to do edits, and removing all of the NAT statements will kick me off, so I'm going to have to go to my colo to make the changes.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

Man Yam posted:

Am I on the right track?

There are lot of ways to do things, so that's a difficult question to answer.

Be very careful with a layer-2 topology where that layer-2 topology leaves your building. You may instead be better off with routed interfaces.

But as for the routing protocol discussion, are you participating in routing with your customer / business partner? If so, save yourself the heartache right now and use BGP. That's what BGP was designed to do. I would not recommend allowing your business partner to participate in your EIGRP (or any IGP). And for what it's worth, I don't think EIGRP is an "easier" protocol than BGP. BGP is simple, but it has a lot of optional knobs and levers you can manipulate. EIGRP on the other hand appears simple, because it does a lot of things automatically, but it's a terrible beast of an idea when you look under the hood. At least, that's my opinion.

Personally, I like your first diagram, but I think you should consider using separate, dedicated vlans and subnets at each site's "outside" switch, and making the metro-E connection a routed interface.

I think you're asking a lot of good questions though, and that's a good sign.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Man Yam
Aug 31, 2004
Pickle. No! You pickle!
Thanks for the feedback jwh. I will look further into BGP and am working on getting the configs setup for the topology.