Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A.C.A.M.
Dec 25, 2004

may our nation state be always second rate

Gabby_Jay posted:

:dong::australia:

You watch that backend in the wet, young P-plater :)

Seriously though, that's way cooler than my first car. Do you get much time in the XR8?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sl0hburn
Aug 3, 2006

I think fast track driving is a little like playing the bagpipes, you know, a gentleman can - but doesn't.

para-frame posted:

My 1985 944

Thinking about getting into one of these for my next project car. What do you think about yours, looks in great condition.

squozed
Sep 21, 2004
If you'll forgive the economy car from a non-AI regular, my first new/manual car:

I've seen perhaps two other Astras on the road here, with this particular one having sat on a lot for nearly a year. Paid $5000 off of MSRP, in addition to waiving the usual dealer "extras" and fees. Are they selling this poorly all over the States?

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
Heh, been a long time since I've seen a black astra.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

blugu64 posted:

Heh, been a long time since I've seen a black astra.

... and that is a nice black astra.

Gabby_Jay
Dec 14, 2000

Gör som vi
Till denna melodi

A.C.A.M. posted:

You watch that backend in the wet, young P-plater :)

Seriously though, that's way cooler than my first car. Do you get much time in the XR8?
I know what you mean, I'll be taking it very easy. The commodore's thin wheels made it awful in the wet too.

As for the XR8, I haven't driven it yet, he's only had it for a few weeks. I was going on and on for months about getting a new car and he went and beat me to it :(. Even he finds it a bit of a handful, so I'm quite happy waiting until I'm used to the XR6 before I give it a go.

It's also not as...subtle as mine. The previous owners spent a fair bit on looks and sound. I'd probably get pulled over as soon as I left the driveway.

Marvin K. Mooney
Jan 2, 2008

poop ship
destroyer

GazChap posted:

If that's the 1ZZ-FE Celica GT (not the GT-S) then keep a careful eye on the oil levels. Check it weekly, without fail. Without fail.

Yeah, those oil pumps explode spectacularly sometimes. My friend had a 3rd gen MR2 that he had to sell after it roasted the fuel pump and killed the engine.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Gabby_Jay posted:

I know what you mean, I'll be taking it very easy. The commodore's thin wheels made it awful in the wet too.

As for the XR8, I haven't driven it yet, he's only had it for a few weeks. I was going on and on for months about getting a new car and he went and beat me to it :(. Even he finds it a bit of a handful, so I'm quite happy waiting until I'm used to the XR6 before I give it a go.

It's also not as...subtle as mine. The previous owners spent a fair bit on looks and sound. I'd probably get pulled over as soon as I left the driveway.

Bloody live axle Commodores are hellish on wet roads, I had one jump lanes on me when I was carefully driving from the lights. You need to make sure the tyres are in top condition.

Nice looking XR8 ute :)

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Gabby_Jay posted:

Are you allowed to drive the XR8 on the green P's? Or is the restriction only when you're on the red P's?

Gabby_Jay
Dec 14, 2000

Gör som vi
Till denna melodi

2ndclasscitizen posted:

Are you allowed to drive the XR8 on the green P's? Or is the restriction only when you're on the red P's?

Vehicle restrictions in NSW apply to both green and red P's, but I'll be on to a full license later this year.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Gabby_Jay posted:

Vehicle restrictions in NSW apply to both green and red P's, but I'll be on to a full license later this year.

Ah righto. Don't do what I did, I'd had my full licence for 3 days when I took my Dad's LS1 Calais for a spin. 3 points gone.

2ndclasscitizen fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Apr 13, 2009

ry
Apr 14, 2003
daily driver:

camping/canoeing/roadtrip van

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma

ry posted:

camping/canoeing/roadtrip van

camping/candy for kids/canoeing/roadtrip van

ry
Apr 14, 2003

RealKyleH posted:

camping/candy for kids/canoeing/roadtrip van

wow, you are incredibly clever

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma

ry posted:

wow, you are incredibly clever

It was going to happen. At least I alliterated it.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"
RY: We're not allowed to attempt humour, on the forums of a comedy website? I'm sure you've only handed out candy from the van on halloween, and there's only a few pairs of handcuffs in the back.

squozed posted:

Are they selling this poorly all over the States?

They're selling pretty poorly in Canada, and I don't imagine it's helped by GM's financial woes. I'm kind of sad that I wasn't able to sell my dad on picking up a brand new 08 (they still had some sitting on the lot two months ago). Not enough improvement from his 02 Elantra, or so he said. I think my mom just didn't want a three door hatch. :rolleyes:

ry
Apr 14, 2003

RealKyleH posted:

It was going to happen. At least I alliterated it.

i know i know :(

i can never tell someone i own a van without hearing it lol

but its better than the alternative:

ry fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Apr 13, 2009

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"
Stupid poo poo you put in your car. :v:

Well, at least it's full size cargo van, and not an Aerostar. :gonk:

DoomCenturion
Aug 4, 2007

drat space alien demons killed my rabbit
I don't have it yet, but I will by the beginning of next month (hopefully, as I have a deposit on it for when it arrives). I'm getting a 2010 Mustang GT in grabber blue, and it should look something like:

Click here for the full 1280x850 image.

http://www.autoblog.com/photos/first-drive-2010-ford-mustang-gt/1218111/

I'm trying not to go nuts waiting, but its kinda hard when you're stuck driving lovely econobox rentals...
(I had to get the premium trim in order to get the electronics package and backup camera... I am a gadget nerd)

DoomCenturion fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Apr 13, 2009

sadnessboner
Feb 20, 2006
I can't help but wish they had proportioned the mustang like a sports car, rather than a family hauler. Being that tall really takes the edge off its agressiveness. Chevrolet and Chrysler seem to do the same with their ponycar revivals.

Mysterious Aftertaste
May 20, 2004

So Marigold, my love, you've had too much to drink...

Wow. That's stupid how much better it looks.

netwerk23
Aug 22, 2000
I spelled 'network' wrong.

ry posted:

daily driver:http://customvan.org/img/3kabv.jpg
I am an artiste!

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.

netwerk23 posted:

I am an artiste!

Are you disrespecting some hard parking?

squozed
Sep 21, 2004

Simkin posted:

RY: We're not allowed to attempt humour, on the forums of a comedy website? I'm sure you've only handed out candy from the van on halloween, and there's only a few pairs of handcuffs in the back.

They're selling pretty poorly in Canada, and I don't imagine it's helped by GM's financial woes. I'm kind of sad that I wasn't able to sell my dad on picking up a brand new 08 (they still had some sitting on the lot two months ago). Not enough improvement from his 02 Elantra, or so he said. I think my mom just didn't want a three door hatch. :rolleyes:

All we've got here are the 08s. In fact, I just read that Saturn didn't bother importing any 09s for the US market.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Gabby_Jay posted:

So Ford is making the Ranchero again? Wish they'd release something like this in the US, although I doubt it'd sell all that well.

Professor Bling
Nov 12, 2008

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

DoesNotCompute posted:

He's the CG artist for the Fast and the Furious movies.

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD

Professor Bling posted:

You're correct. I could immediately tell based on the quality, which is a direct match to that in the movie.

MidasAg
Oct 28, 2007
The Man of Silver

sadnessboner posted:

I can't help but wish they had proportioned the mustang like a sports car, rather than a family hauler. Being that tall really takes the edge off its agressiveness. Chevrolet and Chrysler seem to do the same with their ponycar revivals.

I have to agree here. I saw a new Challenger in person, and its like the Mustang, too tall. Especially in the front. The quarter panels have to be like 3' tall.

frozenphil
Mar 13, 2003

YOU CANNOT MAKE A MISTAKE SO BIG THAT 80 GRIT CAN'T FIX IT!
:smug:

DoomCenturion posted:

I don't have it yet, but I will by the beginning of next month (hopefully, as I have a deposit on it for when it arrives). I'm getting a 2010 Mustang GT in grabber blue, and it should look something like:

Click here for the full 1280x850 image.

http://www.autoblog.com/photos/first-drive-2010-ford-mustang-gt/1218111/

I'm trying not to go nuts waiting, but its kinda hard when you're stuck driving lovely econobox rentals...
(I had to get the premium trim in order to get the electronics package and backup camera... I am a gadget nerd)

I'm jealous, but you really should have held out for another year or two. :(

Dr. Gojo Shioji
Apr 22, 2004

DoesNotCompute posted:

When I first saw the thumbnail I had assumed he put the car in a "the car is lifted so I can fix something" position, in regards to its reputation as an unreliable daily driver. Although I suppose a raised hood would've been more indicative, the more I think about it.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

frozenphil posted:

I'm jealous, but you really should have held out for another year or two. :(

I'm holding out until the fiftieth anniversary edition and it'd better be amazing.

netwerk23
Aug 22, 2000
I spelled 'network' wrong.

DoesNotCompute posted:

No sir, I am only disrespectful to dirt, not hard parking.

Professor Bling posted:

And the worst thing is their check bounced.

DuckBOT
Sep 11, 2001

step off my grill, dog.

bidikyoopi posted:

Is this the GT with the 1ZZ or the GTS with the 2ZZ? Either way, it looks great- those new wheels look sharp. Are front plates mandatory in CA? If not, that black plastic frame needs to go.

It's the 1ZZ GT. I heard about the problems with it guzzling oil and people throwing (cams?) out or something while driving. So far I haven't had any problems with it guzzling a quart or so a week like other people have said, maybe I got a fixed one (or got lucky!)?

As for the front plates, yes they are mandatory but I hosed up the plate holder in the front and I'm waiting for a replacement.

GazChap
Dec 4, 2004

I'm hungry. Feed me.

DuckBOT posted:

It's the 1ZZ GT. I heard about the problems with it guzzling oil and people throwing (cams?) out or something while driving. So far I haven't had any problems with it guzzling a quart or so a week like other people have said, maybe I got a fixed one (or got lucky!)?
When the oil guzzling problem happens it's essentially a "rebuild/replace the short block" job, so that'll show up on your service receipts if you have them.

To stop it occurring, keep an eye on the oil level. Depending on how much you drive it, once a week should be fine. If it starts to get low, top it up and then check it more frequently for a while. Basically, if you leave it on low oil the cams start to gently caress up and then it starts guzzling oil like nobody's business. My old 1ZZ Celica would get through max-to-min on the dipstick in 400 miles when I got shut of it.

DuckBOT
Sep 11, 2001

step off my grill, dog.

GazChap posted:

When the oil guzzling problem happens it's essentially a "rebuild/replace the short block" job, so that'll show up on your service receipts if you have them.

To stop it occurring, keep an eye on the oil level. Depending on how much you drive it, once a week should be fine. If it starts to get low, top it up and then check it more frequently for a while. Basically, if you leave it on low oil the cams start to gently caress up and then it starts guzzling oil like nobody's business. My old 1ZZ Celica would get through max-to-min on the dipstick in 400 miles when I got shut of it.

I don't have any receipts for it. Basically it was bought from the San Diego Auto Auction for like $1700, clean title, no accidents, nothing. 2 owners before me, and they drove it less than 10K a year. Service department where I work did some work here and there, and I am due for an oil change. But so far it hasn't been guzzling it, and I've gone through about 2000 miles with it staying pretty close to max.

I am also totally new to driving a manual transmission, apparently this car isn't the greatest for learning. I believe them.

mrpinkypants
Mar 2, 2005
My 2006 MINI Cooper S, which I bought 5 months ago with 17k miles on the clock.

Derty
Dec 19, 2007

My 2003 Land Rover Discovery S and 1970 Oldsmobile Cutlass S

DiscoDickTease
Mar 19, 2009

Hi, boys and girls, I'm Jimmy Carl Black, and I'm the Indian of the group!
God drat I love the Discovery! When I was a kid, that was like my dream vehicle. Something about boxy cars has always looked good in my mind. I love the Cutlass too. The colour on those old muscle cars (yours in particular) make me want to have a beer as soon as I see it.

That gold colour that used to be on the Cutlass reminds me of the old Miller beer cans...

ry
Apr 14, 2003

Dr. Gojo Shioji posted:

When I first saw the thumbnail I had assumed he put the car in a "the car is lifted so I can fix something" position, in regards to its reputation as an unreliable daily driver. Although I suppose a raised hood would've been more indicative, the more I think about it.

The horrible parking job was actually unintentional, I was picking someone up from work (parked behind the building) and another employee was on the roof for some reason and insisted i back it up so he could take a picture.

It actually has been the most reliable car I have ever owned, I did all of the suggested maintenance required when I bought it three years ago and I haven't had a single issue.

ry fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Apr 14, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pretty Little Rainbow
Dec 27, 2005

by T. Finn

ry posted:

The horrible parking job was actually unintentional, I was picking someone up from work (parked behind the building) and another employee was on the roof for some reason and insisted i back it up so he could take a picture.

It actually has been the most reliable car I have ever owned, I did all of the suggested maintenance required when I bought it three years ago and I haven't had a single issue.

Is it a turbo or an NA? I sort of want to buy an N/A 4wd one and see what I could do to the engine without turboing it.

Sorry I have a weird fetish for N/A Jap cars, I want an N/A 300ZX and everything. I really love the whole early 90s Japanese sports cars but most of them have been so poorly maintained or are generally not that reliable that it'd be nice to have a decently performing one without all the twin turbo bullshit.

Pretty Little Rainbow fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Apr 14, 2009