Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME
Hinchu - LOVE the robots. Can't wait to see it done!

sigma 6 - looking much better now, and I didn't even notice the texture seams.

cubicle gangster - love your stuff as always, but do you do any weathered/old looking stuff? Or is it all modern/minimalistic? Just curious because I'm trying to do an old house (window WIP below) and texturing is a nightmare. Working with many 100mb 5000x5000 .psd files, UVW mapping all the pieces, etc. It's just a huge pain. Was wondering if you have any tips for arch process.

Click here for the full 1004x2048 image.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

I never thought lighting and rendering fruit would be so tedious. On the other hand, working on an old P4 xeon with maya crashing all the time doesn't help.

Hinchu: Your stuff looks great as always. As far as UVs are concerned, I would recommend roadkill or UVlayout. Trying to unwrap UVs in Maya or Max (or lightwave?) is most likely a LOT more time consuming.

Alan Smithee: If you are into node based procedural stuff, I would say Houdini is the way to go. If you are limited to Maya, learn as much as you can about Mray through resources like Master Zap's blog.

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Apr 11, 2009

Travakian
Oct 9, 2008

Been working tonight on texturing this rhino (I didn't model it). Doing it for kicks, but still curious as per your thoughts.

Comping together photos of rhinos in Photoshop, projecting them onto Maya, then back to Photoshop to fix the UVs.

Right now, the place where the ear meets the head needs to be cleaned up, same with horn/head. Also a seam on the back of the ear.

Click here for the full 1280x720 image.

Click here for the full 1280x720 image.

Kirby posted:

After about 6 weeks of that I was given a crack at lighting and composting one of the episodes. They liked it, so I ended up doing the lighting TD and compositing for about half of the series.

What software are you compositing in?
Also, was wondering today -- if you need to relight an element, are you limited to working with the render passes they give you, or are you ever in a position in which you need to get your 3d team to re-render shots? Can you do that?

e: fastest way to make a face texture? http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3115752

Travakian fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Apr 11, 2009

Handiklap
Aug 14, 2004

Mmmm no.

cubicle gangster posted:

:words:

No no this is perfect, thanks. The textures do need some work, but fortunately I've already got spec maps for all the wood so I can adjust from there. Lower frame is all steel so more subd on the reflection should do it. I think my biggest problem is trying to have everything "how it exists" and not "how it looks best", like increasing the spec or gloss on the left bench would obviously bring out the highlight and detail on the back, but it never crossed my mind to actually do it, like I'm drawing too fine of a line between aesthetics and honesty, if that makes any sense.

The materials you've got are great, but I think you could balance them out a bit with some pieces of paint/plaster peeling up and away from the surface. It just screams "simple object with a very nice texture" - not necessarily a bad thing, I just go overboard with detail modeling - so I think adding a couple pieces here and there where a shadow can creep under would really convince me. The surface pulls up around all the cracks with your bump like it wants to seperate.

Handiklap fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Apr 11, 2009

DefMech
Sep 16, 2002

KiddieGrinder posted:

Hinchu - LOVE the robots. Can't wait to see it done!

sigma 6 - looking much better now, and I didn't even notice the texture seams.

cubicle gangster - love your stuff as always, but do you do any weathered/old looking stuff? Or is it all modern/minimalistic? Just curious because I'm trying to do an old house (window WIP below) and texturing is a nightmare. Working with many 100mb 5000x5000 .psd files, UVW mapping all the pieces, etc. It's just a huge pain. Was wondering if you have any tips for arch process.

Click here for the full 1004x2048 image.

My biggest issue with this, what I think is keeping all that detail from really selling it as a real object, is that there really isn't any logic behind the weathering. It's got a fairly consistent decay and coloring across the entire object. It looks like you've got some dirt/AO where the vertical casing meets the stool(I think that's what it's called, the horizontal part), which is a good touch, but it looks like you've mapped some cracks to run underneath it which looks really unrealistic. At that location, the cracks would run around it, which seems to be happening on the vertical part, but not on the stool. It also looks like you've got some texture density disparity between those two parts. I like that the paint appears to gain relief as it approaches a crack, but I think the depth is a little bit too much. It looks like the paint is laid on unusually thick.

Kirby
Dec 2, 2005

Low Altitude Flyer

Travakian posted:

What software are you compositing in?
Also, was wondering today -- if you need to relight an element, are you limited to working with the render passes they give you, or are you ever in a position in which you need to get your 3d team to re-render shots? Can you do that?
heh, we were the lighting TDs too.

The team was really quite small.. there were only three of us doing the lighting TD and Compositing. and being episodic, we didn't have to really pass our work onto each other, which afforded us the ability to go hog wild. The only limitus was clearing everything with the art director, and trying to maintain a consistent style within the series.

We really had much more control than you would usually get in a production.

In regards to re-lighting, we would render the first frame of each shot, and any other key poses/actions the character would make.

We comped in After Effects, and being timeline based, having the first frame of each shot meant we could get in there and set keys and tweak. this gave us a fair idea of what was, and wasn't working in the lighting of each shot, and we would pretty much have a close to finished comp then and there.
So we would just rinse and repeat until every shot was looking good. The directors also loved this because it gave them the ability to see what the final product was before we actually spent the cpu time to render a whole episode.

that being said, theres many ways to skin a cat, and i would probably try to streamline this pipeline a bit. The circumstances we were under doesn't always happen.

Travakian
Oct 9, 2008

Kirby posted:

:words:

Ahh, thanks. It's more that I'm junior/student, so I'm still a bit iffy on what some of the titles are and what tasks they perform.

On that note, is there (or was there, at some point) a compositing/VFX thread in Creative Convention at any point? Or are there not enough of us to warrant one?

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Travakian posted:

Ahh, thanks. It's more that I'm junior/student, so I'm still a bit iffy on what some of the titles are and what tasks they perform.

On that note, is there (or was there, at some point) a compositing/VFX thread in Creative Convention at any point? Or are there not enough of us to warrant one?

A compositing / VFX thread would be very cool and something I would support.

Here are some free nuke video tuts.
Nuke skillsets seem to be the hot thing right now. I remember REALLY enjoying shake way back when they made it for PC, which was about the last time I used it. Now after effects is mostly what I use.

Also, we now have Toxik 08 as part of the Maya superpack and I really want to learn it.

EDIT:

Kirby: That is really amazing stuff for such a small team. Can you post a typical breakdown of a shot? I am really interested in how you lit and composited this.

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Apr 11, 2009

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Handiklap posted:

so I think adding a couple pieces here and there where a shadow can creep under would really convince me.

Yeah I'd like to do that aswell, but I think there's something like 15 windows on this particular building, and they'll all be relatively far from camera so...I'm not sure the investment would pay off in the final render.

DefMech posted:

but I think the depth is a little bit too much. It looks like the paint is laid on unusually thick.

Yeah I don't like that either. I don't know quite how to have the gain appear around the cracks, but not have the cracks themselves look so deep. It's a tricky situation I'm not sure how to fix.

Handiklap
Aug 14, 2004

Mmmm no.

KiddieGrinder posted:

Yeah I'd like to do that aswell, but I think there's something like 15 windows on this particular building, and they'll all be relatively far from camera so...I'm not sure the investment would pay off in the final render.

Yeah I don't like that either. I don't know quite how to have the gain appear around the cracks, but not have the cracks themselves look so deep. It's a tricky situation I'm not sure how to fix.

Ha my knee-jerk reaction was "well then just model it". That's my [ill-advised] solution to all complex texture problems. I really need to just sit down and learn how to UV some day.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

I should really do something more productive than tweak the lighting on a plate of fruit.

EDIT:

vvv Still not happy with the orange. I will take your advice and re-arrange the fruit as well as change up the environment a bit. Right now there is an incandescant billboard for the window, one area light, and one reflector.

Can't seem to delete old attachments out of this post. Sorry about that. The pic under this sentence is the older one.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Apr 13, 2009

Rekka
Feb 1, 2004

oh god, it's.... THE DOOOO!

sigma 6 posted:

I should really do something more productive than tweak the lighting on a plate of fruit.

It's looking good, I know you're doing lighting, but I think some of the problems might be texture resolution / quality on some stuff, like the orange, it's a bit low resolution. Also I think getting it off that background might help, maybe put it into a simple room / area. That will affect the lighting too.

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
Progress on my Demon Prince "Xagerus" for DWIV:

Hazed_blue
May 14, 2002
Looks like he's coming along well. The hands are awfully tiny though, and some of the anatomy measurements on the arms look off. Consult some nude reference to get his base body in line. Good progress, though.

Hinchu
Mar 4, 2004

Please keep a watchful eye out for hinchus. They are very slow and dumb, and make for easy roadkill.

Working on TikTok's texture. Still some stuff I'm planning on doing with it, like redoing the mustache texture, but crits are welcome.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Hinchu posted:

Working on TikTok's texture. Still some stuff I'm planning on doing with it, like redoing the mustache texture, but crits are welcome.

What version of Oz was this? Return to Oz? The Wiz? I can never frickin' remember...looks good though.

Aslan Bebop
Jul 3, 2008

Hipness is not a state of mind, It's a fact of life!
Here's the newest version of the drag racer. I haven't started the actual animation part yet. This thing is going to take forever to render hundreds of frames.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Akaikami posted:

Progress on my Demon Prince "Xagerus" for DWIV:

I dont know... the underlying shape of the torso just seems very off to me. The underlying anatomy and muscle flow just does not add up.

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004

SynthOrange posted:

I dont know... the underlying shape of the torso just seems very off to me. The underlying anatomy and muscle flow just does not add up.

He's a demon prince so he's not supposed to be exactly human-like. Also, this is a very early WIP.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Yes, you can argue that a demon prince is not going to look like a real person, but it's extremely disconcerting when you look at a character and it looks like he spends every waking hour doing crunches. Detailing is fine, but the overall forms are kind of weak.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
It looks alright Akaikami, but you should at least try blocking out broad, human anatomy as muscle groups before you do anything like picking out individual abs. Also look at the way the latissimus wraps around the ribcage and interacts with the pectoral area.

Some detail work on the Omar model, this render is kinda bugging me, it'll hopefully look a bit nicer on the showreel, should I put it on there.

Hinchu
Mar 4, 2004

Please keep a watchful eye out for hinchus. They are very slow and dumb, and make for easy roadkill.

BonoMan posted:

What version of Oz was this? Return to Oz? The Wiz? I can never frickin' remember...looks good though.

I'm blending a lot of the books together into my own amalgamation. TikTok makes his first appearance in Ozma of Oz. Return to Oz was the movie by... Disney I think. It combined the second and third Oz books, The Land of Oz & Ozma of Oz. There were 14 books originally written by L Frank Baum, while a whole hell of a lot more by other authors.

I'm primarily taking scenes from Dorothy and the Wizard in Oz, but the main characters I'm using aren't actually even in that book.

I read all the books as a kid, that's why I'm kind of in to them. The original illustrations are great, and the lands, characters, and situations are all really quirky and inventive. Plus a lot of it has a darker twist to it, that has a happy smiley face on it which appeals to me.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Hinchu posted:

I'm blending a lot of the books together into my own amalgamation. TikTok makes his first appearance in Ozma of Oz. Return to Oz was the movie by... Disney I think. It combined the second and third Oz books, The Land of Oz & Ozma of Oz. There were 14 books originally written by L Frank Baum, while a whole hell of a lot more by other authors.

I'm primarily taking scenes from Dorothy and the Wizard in Oz, but the main characters I'm using aren't actually even in that book.

I read all the books as a kid, that's why I'm kind of in to them. The original illustrations are great, and the lands, characters, and situations are all really quirky and inventive. Plus a lot of it has a darker twist to it, that has a happy smiley face on it which appeals to me.

Sweet I never knew that! I just remember Tik Tok from the Disney film and the Pumpkin guy. What a strange little movie. Loved it though.

http://www.waltdisneysreturntooz.com/Set_Tik.htm

There's a lovely page with the genesis of Tik Tok on it that shows what has to be one of the most uncomfortable costumes ever in film. Holy crap.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

BonoMan posted:

Sweet I never knew that! I just remember Tik Tok from the Disney film and the Pumpkin guy. What a strange little movie. Loved it though.

http://www.waltdisneysreturntooz.com/Set_Tik.htm

There's a lovely page with the genesis of Tik Tok on it that shows what has to be one of the most uncomfortable costumes ever in film. Holy crap.

WTF? Is that a young Fairuza Balk? (Apparently it is.)

This stuff makes me want to know about L. Frank Baum's original work! Great job so far Hinchu, but you might want to render Tik Tok against something other than black.

Handiklap
Aug 14, 2004

Mmmm no.
Gettin' there. Still some modeling and materials left to work on, and add some arch details to the building.

Click here for the full 1500x1000 image.

edit: added some more windows and interior walls

Click here for the full 1500x1000 image.

Handiklap fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Apr 14, 2009

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
Update on my Demon Prince ZBrush sculpt:

http://www.curtisbinder.com/xagerus_sculpt1.png

Head and everything below the elbows and knees are WIP. Starting to become satisfied with the torso. Made the chest a little more realistic but still ridiculously ripped.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Akaikami posted:

Update on my Demon Prince ZBrush sculpt:

http://www.curtisbinder.com/xagerus_sculpt1.png

Head and everything below the elbows and knees are WIP. Starting to become satisfied with the torso. Made the chest a little more realistic but still ridiculously ripped.

Looks good, but the torso still looks just a tad too long. And I know he's a demon prince, but it's not quite exaggerated enough to be taken as so, and just looks like it's slightly out of proportion.

Unexpected EOF
Dec 8, 2008

I'm a Bro-ny!

International Log posted:

Max 2010 is out! Didn't i say it was gonna get a UI overhaul? huh? huh?

Inverting the colours and lowering contrast is an overhaul now?

brian encino man
Nov 19, 2008

Guys how do you motivate yourself outside of work to do 3d stuff? I'm really struggling after doing it all day.

DefMech
Sep 16, 2002

brian encino man posted:

Guys how do you motivate yourself outside of work to do 3d stuff? I'm really struggling after doing it all day.

Joining up with projects and assigning myself duties that are probably above my abilities. Obligation to someone else is really the only way I can force myself to do any 3D outside of work. This is only occasionally, though. I usually like to spend my time outside of work doing things that have nothing to do with 3d whatsoever.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I'm obsessed, I can't wait to get home from doing 3D at work to do more 3D at home.
All the motivation I need is to look at stuff I made in the past and see any kind of improvement at all in what I'm doing now.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Unexpected EOF posted:

Inverting the colours and lowering contrast is an overhaul now?

That's hysterical.

brian encino man: This is my main problem too. I teach it though, so that helps. Students keep me interested by allowing me more versatility in the kind of 3d I get to work on.

A couple of suggestions:

Buy an eggtimer or set some kind of hourly alarm. This way you can force yourself to work x number of hours per day.
Write down what you get done daily and put a red x on the calender for that day. This way you train yourself to fill your days with work. It is hard though and some days you don't want to look at a computer when you get home . . . at least I don't . . . and then there are various timeholes like TV and internet etc etc.

Handiklap: Looks like your grass displacement needs more divisions (density of grass) or maybe turn off the smoothing in the displacement settings (?) The DOF is nice and subtle.

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Apr 15, 2009

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

brian encino man posted:

I picked up another hobby, desert racing. I can't do 3d at home anymore.

After spending 8-12 hours a day doing cg poo poo, the last thing I want to do when I get home is more work.

I got a 8 cpu, 16 GB of ram machine at home with a quadro something or other video card, 64 bit OS, a huge rear end wacom and 2 big rear end flat panels.

You know.. for working on stuff at home, my own project/short.

In reality? Surfing the web.

Sad.

Unexpected EOF
Dec 8, 2008

I'm a Bro-ny!

sigma 6 posted:

That's hysterical.

brian encino man: This is my main problem too. I teach it though, so that helps. Students keep me interested by allowing me more versatility in the kind of 3d I get to work on.

A couple of suggestions:

Buy an eggtimer or set some kind of hourly alarm. This way you can force yourself to work x number of hours per day.
Write down what you get done daily and put a red x on the calender for that day. This way you train yourself to fill your days with work. It is hard though and some days you don't want to look at a computer when you get home . . . at least I don't . . . and then there are various timeholes like TV and internet etc etc.

Handiklap: Looks like your grass displacement needs more divisions (density of grass) or maybe turn off the smoothing in the displacement settings (?) The DOF is nice and subtle.

When I think overhaul, I think "tear it all down, rebuild." Not THIS:

Click here for the full 1280x1024 image.

Handiklap
Aug 14, 2004

Mmmm no.

Unexpected EOF posted:

Reminds me of old Combustion.

International Log
Apr 3, 2007

Fluent in five foreign tongues!
Grimey Drawer
Well i was just..

I wanted...

:smith:

Heintje
Nov 10, 2004

I sing a song for you

Unexpected EOF posted:

Baaahahhaa that colour scheme has been in there as an alternative UI for as long as I can remember, just not set as the default.

DefMech
Sep 16, 2002
I still haven't used it yet, but it just looks like they've integrated the ribbon like they did in AutoCAD and left everything else mostly the same. Which is still the most significant modification to the UI in over a decade.

Unexpected EOF
Dec 8, 2008

I'm a Bro-ny!

DefMech posted:

I still haven't used it yet, but it just looks like they've integrated the ribbon like they did in AutoCAD and left everything else mostly the same. Which is still the most significant modification to the UI in over a decade.

I don't give a gently caress. Why the gently caress haven't they changed the goddamn material editor?

I'M ANGRY. ANGRY ABOUT APPLYING MATERIALS TO MY MODELS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DefMech
Sep 16, 2002

Unexpected EOF posted:

I don't give a gently caress. Why the gently caress haven't they changed the goddamn material editor?

I'M ANGRY. ANGRY ABOUT APPLYING MATERIALS TO MY MODELS.

That's actually the only part of Max I care about changing and I get kinda angry about it, too, which is why I didn't bring it up. So thanks, jerk.