Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pantsfish
May 21, 2003
dicks
Twofold question:

1.) I am saving for a new bass and thus selling an old one. I have an Ibanez GSR200 (purchased on this thread's recommendation) that is in perfect condition. Finish and everything are in perfect shape, as is the body. The only issue is that it's missing a string and I have zero loving desire to restring the thing. Will that affect is resale value that much? What's a reasonable price to ask with the strings or without?

2.) I'm torn between a 5-string Fender J-Bass and now, after reading this thread, a Lakland 55-01. My biggest concern is that my $800 could go towards a decent J-Bass or the lowest-end Lakland. I've heard the B string on the 5501 is wonderful so I'm leaning that direction. Any suggestions there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

pantsfish posted:

Twofold question:

1.) I am saving for a new bass and thus selling an old one. I have an Ibanez GSR200 (purchased on this thread's recommendation) that is in perfect condition. Finish and everything are in perfect shape, as is the body. The only issue is that it's missing a string and I have zero loving desire to restring the thing. Will that affect is resale value that much? What's a reasonable price to ask with the strings or without?

2.) I'm torn between a 5-string Fender J-Bass and now, after reading this thread, a Lakland 55-01. My biggest concern is that my $800 could go towards a decent J-Bass or the lowest-end Lakland. I've heard the B string on the 5501 is wonderful so I'm leaning that direction. Any suggestions there?

Dude, just buy a string. It looks ghetto as gently caress to try and sell a bass missing strings, regardless of condition.

It's been my experience that Skyline Laklands are of better quality than U.S. Fenders. However, the 55-01 is a completely different sound than a J-bass. Go to http://www.lakland.com/ac_4401.htm and listen.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Scarf posted:

Dude, just buy a string. It looks ghetto as gently caress to try and sell a bass missing strings, regardless of condition.

It's been my experience that Skyline Laklands are of better quality than U.S. Fenders. However, the 55-01 is a completely different sound than a J-bass. Go to http://www.lakland.com/ac_4401.htm and listen.

I know laklands are expensive (you can tell because they don't list the price) but if I ever "make it big" or otherwise start taking bass really seriously I would literally put my dick on this guitar

http://www.lakland.com/decade.htm

Huge fan of the sound with the neck pickup on the jazz setting with the rounds

ADINSX fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Apr 7, 2009

pantsfish
May 21, 2003
dicks

Scarf posted:

I don't need an exact replica or anything. That and that site gives me the impression that the range on a Lakland is considerably wider. And I forgot to mention that I'm still in the learning stages of repair and upgrading so I'd like something that I won't have to tinker much with (if at all) to get the best possible sound out of it. Am I safe in assuming that the 55-01 meets those criteria?

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

ADINSX posted:

I know laklands are expensive (you can tell because they don't list the price) but if I ever "make it big" or otherwise start taking bass really seriously I would literally put my dick on this guitar

http://www.lakland.com/decade.htm

Huge fan of the sound with the neck pickup on the jazz setting with the rounds

The Skyline Decade will run you about $1200. All Skyline Laklands are priced to be competitive with MIA Fenders and EBMM basses.

It's the US Laklands that are pretty expensive. But they're priced to be competitive with other boutique basses. They're priced about the same as a new Modulus, but they're cheaper than a Fodera or Alembic or a Wal...

pantsfish posted:

I don't need an exact replica or anything. That and that site gives me the impression that the range on a Lakland is considerably wider. And I forgot to mention that I'm still in the learning stages of repair and upgrading so I'd like something that I won't have to tinker much with (if at all) to get the best possible sound out of it. Am I safe in assuming that the 55-01 meets those criteria?

I'd say the 01s will do you just fine. I'd even say look to see if you can find a used 55-02 for that price. Both are pretty versatile, but the 02 is much moreso in my opinion. The 01 just has a different sound from the 02s. Plus the 02s have US-made electronics.

Scarf fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Apr 7, 2009

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
The Decade is probably in my #2-3 spot for basses I want.

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen

Scarf posted:

The Decade is probably in my #2-3 spot for basses I want.

Maybe I just need to see it in person. It just looks like a mesh/mess of other bits. Classic P bass neck, MM bridge, Jag~ish/SG~ish body. Not sure what to think of it really.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Schatten posted:

Maybe I just need to see it in person. It just looks like a mesh/mess of other bits. Classic P bass neck, MM bridge, Jag~ish/SG~ish body. Not sure what to think of it really.

Don't really get the first two... The neck is more along the lines of a J-bass but with a 10" radius (I think modern j-basses have 9"-9.5"), but almost every bass out there today is similar to either a P or J neck. The only similarities it has to an MM bridge is the little overhang that covers the thru-bridge holes.

It should also be noted that this bass was heavily designed by an internet forum.

And regardless of it's looks, it sounds awesome: http://www.lakland.com/ac_decade.htm

Scarf fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Apr 7, 2009

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

Your human mentality cries out for vengeance and thrives on the violence you say you can hardly endure.
Ampeg B2R and 200W B series Cab for $1800 AUS? Good deal? (about $1300 USD but bear in mind that Australia tends to pay slightly more for music gear anyway)

Dude on my local music forums is selling his, apparently they're USA-made and in very good nick. He's not had any interest in them for about 2 months so I may be able to talk him down.

Anything to watch out for if I play through it? It'll be for metal, mostly pick style, clean.

edit: also if anyone has any other recommendations for metal bass amps in the same price range please fire away! My aim is to jam and eventually gig with it.

Concatenation fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Apr 8, 2009

pantsfish
May 21, 2003
dicks
Well I found a used 55-02 on Talkbass for $800 and another like-new one with a better finish and hard case for $1000. Am I safe to assume these are both pretty good deals?

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

pantsfish posted:

Well I found a used 55-02 on Talkbass for $800 and another like-new one with a better finish and hard case for $1000. Am I safe to assume these are both pretty good deals?

Yeah, that's about standard for it.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Concatenation posted:

Ampeg B2R and 200W B series Cab for $1800 AUS? Good deal? (about $1300 USD but bear in mind that Australia tends to pay slightly more for music gear anyway)

Dude on my local music forums is selling his, apparently they're USA-made and in very good nick. He's not had any interest in them for about 2 months so I may be able to talk him down.

Anything to watch out for if I play through it? It'll be for metal, mostly pick style, clean.

edit: also if anyone has any other recommendations for metal bass amps in the same price range please fire away! My aim is to jam and eventually gig with it.

That's pretty pricey in my opinion, but again, not familiar with the pricing trends in Aus. For comparison though, I have the same rig (older, late 90s version of those) plus a BSE115 as well... I got the entire rig for $700 US.

I'd place that head at maybe 2001 or so? Maybe about the time when Loud Ind. took over SLM. (Oh, you're using stock photos, never mind)

Best thing you can do is just set the EQ flat and put it through the paces, then start to play with it. Also, a lot of people complain about the B2R being "sterile" but I haven't found this to be the case. They're usually comparing it to an SVT which isn't fair at all. I really like the sound of the amp with the gain at about 2'oclock or slightly more if you can get away with it w/o clipping a ton.

Oh, and don't be surprised if you end up turning the highs down a LOT. It is a pretty bright amp. And be sure you reach around back of the cabinet and turn the horn to either -6db or off completely. It'll have a little attenuator knob near the cable jacks.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
God lakland's site is addicting, I just went around trying every different genre with all the different settings for like 15 minutes

i think i should steal the riff they did for the "hard rock" sample

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future
I recently sold a Yamaha starter bass of mine in hopes of moving up in the bass world, but the used selection is somewhat lacking.
The models I've been thinking about are:
MIM Fender Jazz
Squire Fretless Jazz
Epiphone Thunderbird IV

I've wanted to play fretless for a while, I have a pretty good ear and would love to have more intonation control. If I could find a MIM Fretless I would take it in a second but the local Craigslist isn't yielding any results.

The Thunderbird seems like a good choice, I've played them before and they feel really comfortable, however it doesn't seem that dynamic outside of the generic 'rock' sound.

The MIM J-Bass is appealing, but I'm a student and it's a depression and these basses start to push the 400-500 dollar range (:canada:) and that's getting out of my range.

Anyone have any thoughts? I'd appreciate it.

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen
Be patient on the fretless craigslist postings. They don't come up often, but when they do, they are cheaper than the regular MIM Jazz's. I've bought and sold a few over the years. The last one was an all black MIM Fretless Jazz. Played very well. Lined, which is essential for a beginning fretless player.

But if you are looking to upgrade to one main bass, just go with a MIM Jazz. That's the best pick, and most versatile bass on your list.

Doomy
Oct 19, 2004

You should check your local kijiji.ca listings as well. In my city there's usually more variety on their than the local craigslist.

I'd recommend rondo's fretless j's as well. I picked up the 62J sunburst a few months ago with a case and it came out around $330 I think. The dollar was also in the 70 cent US range at the time though. Great bass though, it's gotten me into fretless quite handily.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Pegnose Pete posted:

I recently sold a Yamaha starter bass of mine in hopes of moving up in the bass world, but the used selection is somewhat lacking.
The models I've been thinking about are:
MIM Fender Jazz
Squire Fretless Jazz
Epiphone Thunderbird IV

I've wanted to play fretless for a while, I have a pretty good ear and would love to have more intonation control. If I could find a MIM Fretless I would take it in a second but the local Craigslist isn't yielding any results.

The Thunderbird seems like a good choice, I've played them before and they feel really comfortable, however it doesn't seem that dynamic outside of the generic 'rock' sound.

The MIM J-Bass is appealing, but I'm a student and it's a depression and these basses start to push the 400-500 dollar range (:canada:) and that's getting out of my range.

Anyone have any thoughts? I'd appreciate it.

You really should sit down and try the Squier Fender Vintage Modified, they are a nice build much better than the affinity series. Also the Fender Deluxe is a good deal too.

dissin department
Apr 7, 2007

"I has music dysleskia."
Just a quick question for any dudes who might have one; the Ibanez Soundgear series. Are they as absolutely loving great as they seem in the store? I've played at least five different ones and they were all amazing.

PenguinBob
Oct 12, 2000

dissin department posted:

Just a quick question for any dudes who might have one; the Ibanez Soundgear series. Are they as absolutely loving great as they seem in the store? I've played at least five different ones and they were all amazing.

I had the SRX700 and it was very, very good, just not quite as "vintage" as I was looking for. for low- and mid-price instruments Ibanez generally will not do you wrong.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Owned a SRX700 as well, I put a Aguilar OBP-3 in and boy did it shine. I regret selling that bass.

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen

Never owned one, played many. Had teachers with them too. They are that good.

pantsfish
May 21, 2003
dicks
I just got my Lakland 55-02 off the UPS truck and I loving love it! The guy had it set up and restringed before he shipped it. Playing the thing's like giving a stick of butter a handjob. Thanks for the recommendation Scarf :)

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

pantsfish posted:

I just got my Lakland 55-02 off the UPS truck and I loving love it! The guy had it set up and restringed before he shipped it. Playing the thing's like giving a stick of butter a handjob. Thanks for the recommendation Scarf :)

No prob man. Glad you went with the Lakland. Does it have the Bartolini pickups, or the Lakland pickups?

pantsfish
May 21, 2003
dicks

Scarf posted:

No prob man. Glad you went with the Lakland. Does it have the Bartolini pickups, or the Lakland pickups?

Laklands.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

pantsfish posted:

Laklands.

Ahhh nice. I love the barts in mine, but the response to the Lakland pickups have been overwhelmingly positive.

Enjoy it!

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Also, post some pics of it!

pantsfish
May 21, 2003
dicks
Your wish is my command :) You can see my progression from the Ibanez to the Schecter to the Lakland hah. Now I just need to get good enough to do the it justice.

pantsfish fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Apr 16, 2009

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Looks great. Congrats again.

If at anytime you want to change the midfrequency of the preamp, open up the control cavity in the back and you'll see 4 small dip-switches. Here is a diagram to show you how to flip them to change the frequency:

http://www.lakland.com/tech-docs/Alternate%20midrange%20LH-3%20settings.pdf

I have mine set to 250hz because I love the growl of low-mids. Also note that this will only have an effect if you boost or cut the mids. If you leave it flat, you won't notice any change.

pantsfish
May 21, 2003
dicks

Scarf posted:

Looks great. Congrats again.

If at anytime you want to change the midfrequency of the preamp, open up the control cavity in the back and you'll see 4 small dip-switches. Here is a diagram to show you how to flip them to change the frequency:

http://www.lakland.com/tech-docs/Alternate%20midrange%20LH-3%20settings.pdf

I have mine set to 250hz because I love the growl of low-mids. Also note that this will only have an effect if you boost or cut the mids. If you leave it flat, you won't notice any change.

Excellent, thank you. Would you happen to have a control diagram for the knobs? So far I've figured out volume and I assume the switch controls the pickups (neck, bridge, and both). I am way too inexperienced for this thing, but at least it motivates me to play more.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

pantsfish posted:

Excellent, thank you. Would you happen to have a control diagram for the knobs? So far I've figured out volume and I assume the switch controls the pickups (neck, bridge, and both). I am way too inexperienced for this thing, but at least it motivates me to play more.

http://www.lakland.com/tech-docs/lh3-controls.pdf

Actually the mini-switch serves as a coil-tap for the MM-humbucker at the bridge. Forward taps the coil closest to the neck, middle is both, and back taps the coil closest to the bridge. Basically it lets you treat the MM-humbucker as either a J-bass single coil in the 60s position (towards the neck), a standard EBMM Stingray style humbucker (middle), or a 70s position J-bass single coil (bridge). Just remember, the switch ONLY affects the humbucker pickup, it has nothing to do with actual pickup selection. I prefer tapping mine towards the neck as I like the 60s j-bass sound.

To change between actual pickups, there is a blend knob to the left of the mini-switch. Middle is 50/50 both pickups. As you rotate it towards either the J-neck pickup or MM-bridge pickup, it will start to phase out the other pickup until you're left with a solo pickup when maxed to either side.

The other 3 knobs are your EQ with Lows being closest to the bridge, mids in the middle, and highs near the volume knob. The control layout diagram seems backwards to me in terms of which direction you turn the knob to cut or boost... atleast mine is different. But anyway, it's easy to tell if you're cutting or boosting the EQ if you just listen. I find it best to just leave them in the middle (flat). Occasionally I'll boost the mid a tad.

Also, if you pull up on the volume knob, it'll go into Passive mode and bypass the EQ (useful if your battery dies).

Scarf fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Apr 16, 2009

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Oh, and if you're not already a member, join up over at TalkBass dot com (they have free memberships, but its like $20 a year if you want to be a "supporting member"). They have a huge Lakland thread. And there's also the Lakland Owners Group http://www.laklandowners.com

I think it's like $25 a year, but you get a Tshirt, stickers, etc.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Scarf posted:

Oh, and if you're not already a member, join up over at TalkBass dot com (they have free memberships, but its like $20 a year if you want to be a "supporting member"). They have a huge Lakland thread. And there's also the Lakland Owners Group http://www.laklandowners.com

I think it's like $25 a year, but you get a Tshirt, stickers, etc.

Just remember that Talkbass is nothing like SA, so don't try to be funny or anything.

Signed

A Banned Supporter

DrChu
May 14, 2002

Photex posted:

Just remember that Talkbass is nothing like SA, so don't try to be funny or anything.

Signed

A Banned Supporter

Typical Talkbass post:

I've been playing bass for 30 years but have never been able to get into Jazz basses. I'm serious GASing for this $80 "Essex" J though! Should I pull the trigger? I only have P Basses with flats, should I do this? Will you guys hold my hand through this difficult process? I'm gonna hem and haw about this for at least two more pages. How about you guys post pictures of your basses to convince me?

--------------------
Praise and Worship club #453
Precision Club #298
Maple Necks #302
Behringer Isn't That Bad Really #19
Basses Above the Waistline #67

pantsfish
May 21, 2003
dicks

Photex posted:

Signed

A Banned Supporter

Yeah I haven't really been able to enjoy any forum but these since I joined them however many years ago. Talkbass is a good resource but a lot of it seems like the standard kid-gloved nicey-nicey crap I hate about most message boards. Oh well, at least I got a crazy deal on a bass from one of the posters

Plastic Snake
Mar 2, 2005
For Halloween or scaring people.
If it weren't for the vast repository of knowledge on Talkbass it would be a totally worthless forum with nothing going for it.

Gaza
Jul 16, 2008

Plastic Snake posted:

If it weren't for the vast repository of knowledge on Talkbass it would be a totally worthless forum with nothing going for it.

I went apeshit on some dude because he said something really juvenile and a mod edited my post and PM'ed me like 'Hey man sorry but its rule 1, but yeah wasn't that stupid?'

edit: but I love it because its like a wiki for bass.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
What color bass is best for slap?

Doomy
Oct 19, 2004

So the Guitard Walked Into The Bar....GUITARIST JOKES 1 2 3 4 ... [Last Page]

Indi86
Mar 6, 2007
The Jive Sucker

Scarf posted:

What color bass is best for slap?

purple sparkle. next question.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Yeah, TB can get pretty ridiculous. After a while you figure out who really knows what they're talking about and just kind of tune out everyone else.