Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JIR499
Jul 29, 2008

IRQ posted:

What the hell, they didn't have a helmet or anything?

And in a wet suit. Doing something that dangerous would seem to call for something more than recreational gear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MidasAg
Oct 28, 2007
The Man of Silver

Splendiferous posted:

e: Also, anyone watching the Alaska Experiment? It was pretty good last season.

That show had a hilarious start. All the poo poo they decided to take with them. crazy.

Women's Rights?
Nov 16, 2005

Ain't give a damn
Why isn't Deadliest Catch following the North American anymore? Somebody last year described it as the :shobon: of the boats, and that's dead on. I'm gonna miss that headband.

Also Keith :ohdear: I mean it was a dumb thing to do, but he got cracked right in the head. I kept wondering why the cameraman didn't give him a hand when he was trying to get out from under the boat.

Edit: It's Catch not crap, I like the show I swear.

Women's Rights? fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Apr 15, 2009

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Women's Rights? posted:

Also Keith :ohdear: I mean it was a dumb thing to do, but he got cracked right in the head. I kept wondering why the cameraman didn't give him a hand when he was trying to get out from under the boat.

He probably did, we didn't see any footage after he conked his head from the dive camera. It was kabooooong! right to the deck camera.

Women's Rights?
Nov 16, 2005

Ain't give a damn

IRQ posted:

He probably did, we didn't see any footage after he conked his head from the dive camera. It was kabooooong! right to the deck camera.

I'd hope so. I mean I know that they're not supposed to interfer with the show or anything, but Keith hit his head pretty hard and was clearly disoriented, and that plus being in 40 degree water does not equal a good time. Good television, maybe.

Niklas Kronwall
Sep 23, 2005

by angerbotSD

Women's Rights? posted:

Why isn't Deadliest Catch following the North American anymore? Somebody last year described it as the :shobon: of the boats, and that's dead on. I'm gonna miss that headband.

Edit: It's Catch not crap, I like the show I swear.

I wish the show only followed the North-western and Time Bandit. I don't care for the Wizard or, really, any of it's crew. And the Cornelia Marie is pretty boring without Phil.

Bunk Rogers
Mar 14, 2002

Sig Hanson was on one of the local radio shows here yesterday and confirmed that the rumor is true. I haven't been able to find out who it is just yet though.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Bunk Rogers posted:

Sig Hanson was on one of the local radio shows here yesterday and confirmed that the rumor is true. I haven't been able to find out who it is just yet though.

I can't believe that the rumor, as has been stated here -- that one of THE captains is true. It would have popped up on the news sometime last year during the actual fishing season.

Niklas Kronwall
Sep 23, 2005

by angerbotSD

Timby posted:

I can't believe that the rumor, as has been stated here -- that one of THE captains is true. It would have popped up on the news sometime last year during the actual fishing season.

I've been doing searches for a while and heard nothing.

I like how Sig Hansen, BTW, has kind of become the unofficial spokesperson for the show.

Women's Rights?
Nov 16, 2005

Ain't give a damn

Niklas Kronwall posted:

I wish the show only followed the North-western and Time Bandit. I don't care for the Wizard or, really, any of it's crew. And the Cornelia Marie is pretty boring without Phil.

Aw c'mon, it wouldn't be a good season without Keith either a) flipping out over absolutely nothing over and over again or b) swearing to Monty that they were no longer brothers for reals this time and I mean it! Plus I like the Cornelia Marie's crew, it's fun watching Jake pretend that he's not really stoned all the time. And Josh is really, really cute :shobon:

Kwik
Apr 4, 2006

You can't touch our beaver. :canada:

Timby posted:

Well, if Wikipedia's teaser for the next episode is true:

Episode 56- Red Skies in the Morning- It's week 2 of the season, and boats are hunting down the elusive King crab. A vicious storm kicks up and a Mayday goes out. The Skippers are glued to their radios -- waiting to hear the fate of 11 brother fishermen in distress...

So the question then turns to: is the rumor that A captain dies, or one of THE captains dies? There are other boats out there.

Plague Skillet
Nov 10, 2003
No night is complete without the antics of an unwilling magic panda.
I imagine if it was one of THE captains that it would have leaked by now. It does kind of bother me that we are speculating on someone's death but this is Something Awful.

That said I really liked the first episodes. Is a drat shame that Phil couldn't go out fishing but it was interesting to see how much he cares about his health now compared to last season.

I was hoping there would be an official thread for this but judging by the number of posts here I guess it isn't really needed. :(

hutch
May 30, 2001

Slow, wide & ugly. Just the way I like 'em
There really isn't a whole lot to discuss that hasn't already been discussed :) I love the show but it's pretty much "meh" since season one and the end of the derby.

Also could this be what the spoiler text is in reference to?

railroad terror
Jul 2, 2007

choo choo
I really got into the Deadliest Catch last season --- looking forward to it even more this season. It's awful the number of deaths that happen each year doing this, but in such a high demand industry that's also dangerous -- it's bound to happen.

My favorite things from previous episodes were the Greenhorns struggling -- hopefully more of that this time around!

MrDingleDangle
Apr 15, 2005

The win of a lifetime, twice.
Im assuming something crazy happens next week because there was no "next week on the deadliest catch" at least I didn't see one. Usually they show some real crazy poo poo on it, then it turns out to be nothing. so maybe if they dont show anything, something crazy happens

Darth Mirth
Dec 12, 2004

Jedi business.
Go back to your drinks.
Wasn't there a preview for next week that had the Coast Guard putting out an alert on a downed F/V and asking for assistance? Or was that just "coming up this season" but not necessarily next week?

By the way, in the preview, the name of the downed F/V wasn't one of the main ones featured on the show.

Plague Skillet
Nov 10, 2003

Darth Mirth posted:

Or was that just "coming up this season" but not necessarily next week?

I'm pretty sure this was it. They showed so much crazy poo poo coming up that I can't believe it will all be in one episode.

Darth Mirth
Dec 12, 2004

Jedi business.
Go back to your drinks.
I happened to have the Discovery Channel on and just caught the commercial for next week, and...

hutch posted:

Also could this be what the spoiler text is in reference to?

...yes, this is it -- the CG call in the commercial said the downed F/V was the Katmai.

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

Women's Rights? posted:

I'd hope so. I mean I know that they're not supposed to interfer with the show or anything, but Keith hit his head pretty hard and was clearly disoriented, and that plus being in 40 degree water does not equal a good time. Good television, maybe.

Actually, the camera crews have intervened in the show before.

Last season, when Phil was trying to cover up the fact that he was coughing up blood, one of the camera guys finally got concerned enough about the situation to tell Murray what was happening, which lead to Phil finally seeking medical help.

I was pretty bummed when Phil left, since his swearing streaks are a riot to watch, especially when his kids piss him off.

inignot
Sep 1, 2003

WWBCD?
For a raving maniac on tv, Keith Coburn comes across pretty sharp here.

http://www.crabwizard.com/capt-keith-testifies-in-washin/

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.
I wasn't expecting the format change to the Alaska Experiment, but after the first episode, I like it. Last season the groups holed up in cabins/tents for their whole experience. Which in the end, was probably a bit boring. This season they took probably the most disastrous event of last season, the trek from one group's cabin to another, and based the WHOLE SECOND SEASON AROUND IT. :rock: Which should guarantee watchable TV.

A shame they didn't catch any real food, if they are unable to, I could see most of them bailing.

MrDingleDangle
Apr 15, 2005

The win of a lifetime, twice.

Teek posted:

I wasn't expecting the format change to the Alaska Experiment, but after the first episode, I like it. Last season the groups holed up in cabins/tents for their whole experience. Which in the end, was probably a bit boring. This season they took probably the most disastrous event of last season, the trek from one group's cabin to another, and based the WHOLE SECOND SEASON AROUND IT. :rock: Which should guarantee watchable TV.

A shame they didn't catch any real food, if they are unable to, I could see most of them bailing.

nice i recorded it but didn't watch it yet. I got bored during the last season and stopped watching pretty much after that trek. It was people just sitting around bored complaining. hopefully this season is better

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

Splendiferous posted:

e: Also, anyone watching the Alaska Experiment? It was pretty good last season.

Last season the best part was when the couple in the cabin started to hallucinate and have crazy dreams because of the isolation. Maybe they were playing it up for the show, but it looked like that guy could have gone Jack Torrance at any time.

Luckily the people who decided to hike there showed up to break the isolation.

I'm glad Deadliest Catch is back on - it's one of my favorite shows on TV because it's unlike anything else. I look forward to the new seasons more than Shark Week.

BlueArmyMan
Mar 30, 2007
Hooloovoo

Niklas Kronwall posted:

I like how Sig Hansen, BTW, has kind of become the unofficial spokesperson for the show.

He's an exec producer for the show, if I recall properly, so it makes sense. Also, didn't he finance the Deadliest Catch video game that came out?

Plague Skillet
Nov 10, 2003

BlueArmyMan posted:

He's an exec producer for the show, if I recall properly, so it makes sense. Also, didn't he finance the Deadliest Catch video game that came out?

Yeah I believe that he and his family pretty much single-handedly covered the cost for the game. He talked about it on his Conan interview last year. It isn't supposed to be the best game, but I really want to pick up a copy if I can ever find one in a brick and mortar.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
Good god, there are actually products shittier than the stuff that makes it on the infomercials :psyduck:

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Who in their right mind would willingly watch a show with Billy Mays in it?

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
This Pitchmen show isn't as interesting as I had hoped. I mean, it's cool to see how these things get put together but it's a one episode thing. It seems that the rest of the episodes will be more of the same, but with different products.

Also I miss One Way Out. I liked it :shobon:

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 16 days!
That guy got pro sports AND military contracts out of his gel, good for him :)

Niklas Kronwall
Sep 23, 2005

by angerbotSD

BlueArmyMan posted:

Wikipedia only quotes him as being a technical advisor.

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

:syoon:

Who could ever leave home without their box of...

I know I couldn't.

In all seriousness, it was a great episode, but that whole "burn barrel" thing was so lame. "This is a tradition our father's had between the captains" and they cut to it and it's just the normal group of Captains. Discovery stop trying to script your poo poo, STOP IT.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

lordblytzkrieg posted:

In all seriousness, it was a great episode, but that whole "burn barrel" thing was so lame. "This is a tradition our father's had between the captains" and they cut to it and it's just the normal group of Captains. Discovery stop trying to script your poo poo, STOP IT.

The fireworks thrown into the barrel made up for that bullshit.

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

:syoon:

Oh and from what I read in regards to the other spoilers Wizard takes a huge huge wave and has to go back to port due to damages, but everything turned out ok. You can see the in the preview reels they keep rolling that GIANT rear end loving wave, so I'm assuming that's the one that takes out the Wizard.

Noghri_ViR
Oct 19, 2001

Your party has died.
Please press [ENTER] to continue to the
Las Vegas Bowl
Anyone remember last year that guy who made the crab fishing game? What happened to that? Did he get sued? Did he ever say why it got taken down? Is it back up anywhere?

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

Noghri_ViR posted:

Anyone remember last year that guy who made the crab fishing game? What happened to that? Did he get sued? Did he ever say why it got taken down? Is it back up anywhere?

He wouldn't go into the specifics as to why he had to have it removed, but he hinted it had to do with Discovery.

Cathis
Sep 11, 2001

Me in a hotel with a mini-bar. How's that story end?
I watched Pitchmen last night and all I really got out of it is that Billy Mays is kind of an rear end in a top hat.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Cathis posted:

I watched Pitchmen last night and all I really got out of it is that Billy Mays is kind of an rear end in a top hat.

He was hawking poo poo at his own wedding. What do you expect?

sildenafil
Dec 17, 2004

They're just jealous.
So nobody watched last night's Mythbusters Alaska Special 2 (Electric Boogaloo)? I was really fascinated by the whole Pykrete thing, as I had never heard of it before.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

drat, I was watching Deconstructed instead. I totally would've switched over if I knew they were doing something related to the famous experimental ice-carrier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

sildenafil posted:

So nobody watched last night's Mythbusters Alaska Special 2 (Electric Boogaloo)? I was really fascinated by the whole Pykrete thing, as I had never heard of it before.

I watched it, there's just never really much to talk about after watching Mythbusters. The only people that usually talk about the show just complain about it.

• Locked thread