Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Odad could also be Original Dungeons And Dragons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

It could stand for "Oh drat, Another Death" for all anyone knows. I sort of doubt it's the sort of thing we're supposed to bother pondering for hours.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

LightWarden posted:

Speaking of books, anyone picked up War and XPs? Any good bonus comics?

I just got it and the thing that strikes me most is how much more tolerable Haley's ghost angst is. I remember everyone here (myself included) whining and whining about the story dragging during the Azure New Year stuff, but it's really over too soon in book format.

e: VV yeah probably true.

SuperKlaus fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Apr 10, 2009

bison wings
Jan 30, 2007

Santa's greatest accomplishment was convincing the world he didn't exist
I think that had more to do with Burlew rolling a d20 to see how many days before updating than the story being slow.

CK07
Nov 8, 2005

bum bum BAA, bum bum, ba-bum ba baa..
For some reason, I really love the way Burlew renders the old 70's aviator-style glasses. It just makes me grin. I think this is charming, and I know there will be people somewhere who go "WHO CARES GET ON WITH THE STORY," but I'm glad he took a minute to pay tribute. And chalk me up as another person who enjoys the crayon art, it's a distinctive change without leaving the style of art.

I have to remind myself that these are stick figures. Pantless ones, at that.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
I'm getting blue balls again. That last update wasn't even really an update.

Mylan
Jun 19, 2002

Hopefully that will be the last D&D "celebrity" death for a good long while. I'd hate to see a lame tribute to someone like Ed Greenwood or R.A. Salvatore or something.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice

Mylan posted:

Hopefully that will be the last D&D "celebrity" death for a good long while. I'd hate to see a lame tribute to someone like Ed Greenwood or R.A. Salvatore or something.

Not to wish death upon anyone, but it *would* mean we'd finally see an end to the as-bad-as-fanfic Drizzt novels.

I did enjoy the Cleric Quintet, though.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Mortanis posted:

Not to wish death upon anyone, but it *would* mean we'd finally see an end to the as-bad-as-fanfic Drizzt novels.

If you honestly think that they wouldn't continue as "R.A. Salvatore's Drizzt Do'Urden in: Twin Scimitars of Dude-Stabbing," you're delusional.

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
I SHOULD BE FUCKING PERMABANNED BUT IN THE MEANTIME ASK ME ABOUT MY FAILED KICKSTARTER AND RUNNING OFF WITH THE MONEY
Off the death topic for a second but weren't there paladins aboard the Azure City refugee ships. If a 60th level caster (or whatever monstrosity of class levels) had an evil alignment the residue would linger for 1d6 days, any paladin using detect evil would be overwhelmed.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Nobody in the room is a Paladin, I think, and pretty much the room is the only populated area we've seen. They're just both rank and file soldiers. At best, I think Daigo might be multiclassing into a monk or something, since he only ever seems to show up in robes even when traveling off the ship.

Some Paladins above deck could be throwing a poo poo fit for all we know.

Mylan
Jun 19, 2002

There's only two paladins (that we know of) in the fleet. There's really not any reason for them to be throwing detect evils around, despite the crazy epic teleport that just happened.

And anyways since V just solved their dangling little plot thread, and all PCs have left the fleet, hopefully that's the last we see of the Azurites for a good long time.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
Detect Evil only had a 60' range also, IIRC, so it'd be limited to "on boat" detection. Also, it's almost trivial at higher levels to mask one's alignment anyway, though if V doesn't think he's evil he'd have no reason to mask.

I did have a particularly paranoid paladin that used Detect Evil almost any time someone approached. It's At Will and you never really know. :tinfoil:

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

Mortanis posted:

I did have a particularly paranoid paladin that used Detect Evil almost any time someone approached. It's At Will and you never really know. :tinfoil:

Really? I thought that guy was an urban legend.

A Big Dark Yak
Dec 28, 2007
It's only the end of the world.

Mortanis posted:

Fun activity for demons who know of paladins that do that:

Cast undetectable alignment on yourself. Then open up some small hedge witch/healer shop. When people come to you for aid, hook them up with a cure minor wounds and a protection from good. Now all of your customers not only feel better, but gain an evil aura from the spell on them for one minute per level.

Worst-case scenario, you get to sow a bit of disorder until the paladin(s) figure out what's happening and you need to teleport to a new town. Best-case, you get a "smite now and ask questions later" paladin to fall for killing innocents. Good times all around.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!

Red_Mage posted:

Off the death topic for a second but weren't there paladins aboard the Azure City refugee ships. If a 60th level caster (or whatever monstrosity of class levels) had an evil alignment the residue would linger for 1d6 days, any paladin using detect evil would be overwhelmed.

The lingering aura from an evil creature only occurs where the creature dies. Demons don't walk around leaving evil 'snail-trails'.

Sergeant Rock
Apr 28, 2002

"... call the expert at kissing and stuff..."
They ought to, and lo! In my tabletop campaign, they now do.

pseudosavior
Apr 14, 2006

Don't you do cocaine at ME,
you son of a bitch!
A lasting aura of evil taint kinda removes all the fun of being covert. Especially if after you leave, a group of paladins moving fast enough can easily track you down.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

pseudosavior posted:

A lasting aura of evil taint kinda removes all the fun of being covert. Especially if after you leave, a group of paladins moving fast enough can easily track you down.

I think that's half the point of putting off a massive aura of evil. Having a steady stream of young, scruffy-haired heroes trying to put you down ensures you don't get rusty and have plenty of corpses to animate. It's not like potions of Undetectable Alignment are expensive, though.

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
I SHOULD BE FUCKING PERMABANNED BUT IN THE MEANTIME ASK ME ABOUT MY FAILED KICKSTARTER AND RUNNING OFF WITH THE MONEY

Cabbit posted:

I think that's half the point of putting off a massive aura of evil. Having a steady stream of young, scruffy-haired heroes trying to put you down ensures you don't get rusty and have plenty of corpses to animate. It's not like potions of Undetectable Alignment are expensive, though.

And how, you know, most every stealthy evil class has a way to mask it. Also theres the fact that if you're being hunted by scruffy low level paladins looking for evil you can overwhelm them with evilness.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

New strip up.

It's kinda nice to see a (fairly) nothing, joke based strip after the serious strips we've had lately.

Captain Controversy
Jan 25, 2007
eXCeSS bought me this account because I am a whiny BITCH!
Man, I love new Belkar. His "try to fit in so you can get away with more" makes him so much better than just the blunt OMG HES SOOOO HARSH one-note character he used to be.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Classic Belkar.

bison wings
Jan 30, 2007

BLAH we waited over a week for a bookkeeping strip without even a funny one liner. I hope the delay was so he could draw up four or five in a row and will blow through them all in the next 10 days.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

The delay was probably because his Crohn's disease was flaring up. That's the OotS deal; if there's an unexplained delay, it's because Rich was sick.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
If the thought of being more like Belkar can't snap V back, nothing can.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
Notice that all the Thieves Guild regulars are looking pretty beat up while Haley and Belkar are untouched.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

Wanderer posted:

The delay was probably because his Crohn's disease was flaring up. That's the OotS deal; if there's an unexplained delay, it's because Rich was sick.

Was it ever confirmed to be Crohn's Disease? I know the classic conspiracy theory is that Rich just made up his illness (Which is why he never stated what it was) as an excuse to be late with the comic and not have to go to cons anymore.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

HKR posted:

Was it ever confirmed to be Crohn's Disease? I know the classic conspiracy theory is that Rich just made up his illness (Which is why he never stated what it was) as an excuse to be late with the comic and not have to go to cons anymore.

Why is there a burden of proof? Unless someone's managed to steal his health records, this sounds like a case of, "How dare he pretend he's ill to get out of providing us with FREE PRODUCT."

Donraj
May 7, 2007

by Ralp

HKR posted:

Does he really need an excuse not to go to cons if he doesn't want to?

Betting on eventual Belkar/Vaarsuvius is now open!

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

Donraj posted:

Oh I don't really care if the comic is late or if he doesn't go to cons anymore. I just always found it funny that he had this mysterious disease that he never named but prevented him from keeping the comic updated on time and kept him from going to cons. If he came out and said "I have Crohn's disease (Or whatever) which I have painful shits and bloating" I would be less skeptical.

EDIT: Basically whenever someone on the internet is sick but doesn't give details my bullshit detector goes off, despite if I like the guy or not.

Mylan
Jun 19, 2002

Heh. My first thought upon seeing the first panel was that they were gonna have a bonus strip showing the fight against bone golem Roy in a later book, and then Belkar's all "way ahead of you dude."

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

HKR posted:

I remember on this thread early on, some goon detective or another said Rich had let slip some of his symptoms on the OotS forum and it sounded like Crohn's Disease. Either way, if he's got some embarrassing chronic condition, fine; the dude's up-front about it. It's not like he's taking three Dead Piro Days out of five on a three-strips-a-week schedule.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Donraj posted:

Are you talking about a fight, a marriage, or some kind of horrible merging via that Ravenloft artifact?

Belkaarsuvias.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

Wanderer posted:

I remember on this thread early on, some goon detective or another said Rich had let slip some of his symptoms on the OotS forum and it sounded like Crohn's Disease. Either way, if he's got some embarrassing chronic condition, fine; the dude's up-front about it. It's not like he's taking three Dead Piro Days out of five on a three-strips-a-week schedule.

Again, I don't want to come across as some internet tough guy who thinks webcomic artists owe them daily on time updates. I could care less if his updates are on time or not or if they take more then a week to post. I'm just an internet skeptic.

Vomax
Oct 12, 2005

?

Halloween Jack posted:

Are you talking about a fight, a marriage, or some kind of horrible merging via that Ravenloft artifact?

Belkaarsuvias.

I think he means slash fiction. Which is incredibly bizarre given the characters in question are stick figures.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
So, V's killed the dragon and found the rest of the party - what's the over/under on how much longer s/he tries to hold on to the soul splice?

bison wings
Jan 30, 2007

I'm still betting V won't end the splice willingly. The remaining two are going to get scared out of her as if they were really really evil hiccups.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy
I'm digging the sign on the stairs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

New one.

So, the gang's all back together, and Roy can see the spliced-in souls. Do Bone Golems count as undead?