Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

Ryen Deckard posted:

Well hell, I thought I remember getting a div 9 off a mission reward a while ago, guess not. But I'm pretty new, so how would I be able to twink my character enough at 25 to be able to use a QL 50 blaster?

Check ao-universe.com and look up the requirements for the -000 weapons. I think those are pretty good and might be a nice low level alternative to a perennium blaster. A QL 50 blaster will also run you around 5 million creds usually, so it's a bit pricy as a lowbie. I'll be back at home tomorrow night, so I'll be around then to help with twinking, part hunting, creds, or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Goonstein
May 31, 2008
So I've never really played this game, but thought that I would at least give it a go. It's almost downloaded, so i'll give it a try then. I'm stuck between Meta-Physicist, Nano Technician, and an Engineer.

My question is, what should I go for my first character?

Also, could somebody show me some pictures of the pets that the Physicist and the Engineer get? :)

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

I would go Meta for my first character, NTs can be difficult to play and Engineers are always nagging Metas for buffs in order to be effective. Metas get a heal/tank/calming pet which makes them good at soloing and people are always after their buffs which would *in theory* get you lots of creds in tips.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
I've never quite gotten the logic behind making one class the buffer supreme for nanoskills.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Gearhead posted:

I've never quite gotten the logic behind making one class the buffer supreme for nanoskills.

It is a pain in the rear end, in the early days Metas were TERRIBLE and it was amazing to ever see one let alone nab a buff or two from them.

Cat Fancier
Dec 3, 2006

Cat Fancier fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Feb 16, 2018

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Also the best advice I can give to new froob players is go to Borealis as soon as you can, thats where most of the people are thus making it much easier to ask for help or get the buffs you need.

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

"Muerte, buen compinche. Muerte."
How do you have more then one pet as a Engineer?

Cat Fancier
Dec 3, 2006

Cat Fancier fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Feb 16, 2018

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

You can get the dog at lvl 100 in the Adonis garden, but is strictly for shadowlands owners.

Luminous
May 19, 2004

Girls
Games
Gains

socialsecurity posted:

You can get the dog at lvl 100 in the Adonis garden, but is strictly for shadowlands owners.

More importantly, the dog will surf on the back of your normal robot when you are in the water :D

Dr. Goonstein
May 31, 2008

socialsecurity posted:

I would go Meta for my first character, NTs can be difficult to play and Engineers are always nagging Metas for buffs in order to be effective. Metas get a heal/tank/calming pet which makes them good at soloing and people are always after their buffs which would *in theory* get you lots of creds in tips.

Alright! Meta it is! Thanks! :)

TheUnforgiven
Mar 28, 2006
lanky fuck
I've had a chance to actually play latetly and I'm loving it. My Engie is a blast to play, but I need help with implants.

Can anyone give me any tips on where I can pick up the parts to make implants for an engie?

Cat Fancier
Dec 3, 2006

Cat Fancier fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Feb 16, 2018

TheUnforgiven
Mar 28, 2006
lanky fuck

Captain Schlork posted:

If you want to make custom ones, you can find clusters in the Tradeskill departments in stores and empty implants in 'Empty Augmentations' shop terminals. Here is a comprehensive guide to everything that there is to implant crafting.

Awesome, thank you!

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

TheUnforgiven posted:

Awesome, thank you!

Do keep in mind that stores sell implants up to QL 100 or so, just go into a basic shop and turn right as soon as you come in, there's a profession implants area there with implants for everyone. They're not the best, but you can do pretty well with those as a new player, and they give you some idea of good skills to use. You can also grab other professions' implants if you want to use something that's not in yours, there's nothing locking you out of the terminals or anything.

TheUnforgiven
Mar 28, 2006
lanky fuck

Vidmaster posted:

Do keep in mind that stores sell implants up to QL 100 or so, just go into a basic shop and turn right as soon as you come in, there's a profession implants area there with implants for everyone. They're not the best, but you can do pretty well with those as a new player, and they give you some idea of good skills to use. You can also grab other professions' implants if you want to use something that's not in yours, there's nothing locking you out of the terminals or anything.

Thats what I ended up doing after seeing how expensive it can be to make your own. So I'll probably just run with pre-made ones until I can get a decent set of cash to make my own.

Tyshalob
Apr 10, 2008

om nom nom i eat ur town

If you want implants between ql30 and ql50 you'll have to make your own though. I don't really know why FunCom thought that was a good idea.

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

Tyshalob posted:

If you want implants between ql30 and ql50 you'll have to make your own though. I don't really know why FunCom thought that was a good idea.

A QL 30 set should last you until you can equip QL 50s anyway, so unless you're trying to do some crazy implant stepping twink thingy you should be just fine with the QLs available. I kind of prefer waiting on implants until I can get a significantly better set in, as that makes everything feel way cooler since you can suddenly cast 30 new nanos.

EDGECRUSHER
Feb 28, 2001
I have to say this because damnit, it's pissed me off before and it's pissing me off now.

I'm sick of Hellcom being a personal raid bot for a few "select" people. Fuckers delayed a Beast raid for over two hours so they could "have better times during free for all week".
Since I don't run a bot, am not a raid leader, and loving hate rear end in a top hat super nerds who like to "run" things, I guess this game is become less and less for me.

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

EDGECRUSHER posted:

I have to say this because damnit, it's pissed me off before and it's pissing me off now.

I'm sick of Hellcom being a personal raid bot for a few "select" people. Fuckers delayed a Beast raid for over two hours so they could "have better times during free for all week".
Since I don't run a bot, am not a raid leader, and loving hate rear end in a top hat super nerds who like to "run" things, I guess this game is become less and less for me.

We just need to hope Pande gets instanced and that mob HP gets toned down a bit so we can run it with the 6 220 goons and all get burdens and poo poo.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
Just started an enforcer earlier this week after browsing this thread and hit 32 today, been playing with a friend who is running a fixer. Anyone know where I can find a decent weapon that can keep me afloat until I can head to ToTW and grab the scythe? I've been using some store bought crap, but it seems everything either has no specials, not even brawl, or horrendous minimum damage.

Are Concrete Cushions and their stat-boosting ilk still the best way to make money as a lowbie, through blitzing?

And hecklers no longer drop ingots? Christallmighty, that couldn't have gone over well, considering the last time I played everyone had an NT alt for mad credit farming.

Tyshalob
Apr 10, 2008

om nom nom i eat ur town

Cynic Jester posted:

Just started an enforcer earlier this week after browsing this thread and hit 32 today, been playing with a friend who is running a fixer. Anyone know where I can find a decent weapon that can keep me afloat until I can head to ToTW and grab the scythe? I've been using some store bought crap, but it seems everything either has no specials, not even brawl, or horrendous minimum damage.

There really isn't anything until you start hitting up ToTW. I guess there's some 2he alien drop you can get, and you can use Silken Legchopper Gloves to do some twinking but good luck getting that on.

quote:

Are Concrete Cushions and their stat-boosting ilk still the best way to make money as a lowbie, through blitzing?

Pretty much the only way to make money as a lowbie. Second Hand Old English Trading Co. pistols are also an okay source of income. Neither of them sell well consistently though. One day I sold all the cushions and pistols I blitzed and made nearly a million creds (cushions seem to go for ~200k a set, pistols ~100k and less a set), and then for weeks I spent hours spamming trade and couldn't sell a single one. FunCom really should put in some better methods of making money at lower levels than essentially level locking yourself for however long it takes to get a couple million credits or whatever you need.

Tyshalob fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Apr 21, 2009

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost
I haven't played the game in ages but I think there's a 2h beam in the subway but the ones in ToTW become available pretty fast.

Cat Fancier
Dec 3, 2006

Cat Fancier fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Feb 16, 2018

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

Vidmaster posted:

We just need to hope Pande gets instanced and that mob HP gets toned down a bit so we can run it with the 6 220 goons and all get burdens and poo poo.

If that happens I'll actually start playing again in earnest. I really despise the raidbots (on RK2 they're especially terrible and full of poo poo, also they'll postpone Beast for hours to sit in the tara box and stroke their pvp hard-ons).

TheUnforgiven
Mar 28, 2006
lanky fuck

Captain Schlork posted:

With SL, you can make some fairly decent money off selling Pearls to shops. They're the single most valuable shopfood item in the game, I think, and at higher QLs they can be worth over 500k a pop -> easy millions for a little effort. They have best droprates in static dungeons, apparently specificly in The Core in Nascence.

Oh and my offer for that Juggler's Treat is still valid, 2 million credits for that drat ring. :)

500k to a shop, that seems really odd to me considering most of the crap I'm finding in RK sells for pennies to the shop. I guess its time to head to SL.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

RVWinkle posted:

I haven't played the game in ages but I think there's a 2h beam in the subway but the ones in ToTW become available pretty fast.

So I just started using the scythe from ToTW and I probably increased my damage 10fold compared to the storebought piece of crap I was using. Regular hits in the 400 range is so much fun. So much fun.

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

TheUnforgiven posted:

500k to a shop, that seems really odd to me considering most of the crap I'm finding in RK sells for pennies to the shop. I guess its time to head to SL.

Loot-vaccuuming doesn't really work until QL70 or so, plus by then you'll have much higher comp lit which has a significant effect on how much money you get from selling items (as well as giving a discount when buying) to/from terminals.

Cat Fancier
Dec 3, 2006

Cat Fancier fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Feb 16, 2018

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

Captain Schlork posted:

Yup, I wish FC would honestly just remove the shitload of terrible weapons in the base game and replace them with actually viable, semi-decent starter weapons. Weapon choices are confusing at the start for this exact reason and it turns off a lot of new players.

They did add some better stuff that's easy to make and scales pretty well to higher levels: http://www.ao-universe.com/main.php?site=knowledge&link=0&id=354

Most of them aren't as good at low levels as something like the frost scythe, CDR, or whatever, but if you're a free player or are just poor, they're not too bad.

TheUnforgiven
Mar 28, 2006
lanky fuck
Well, I took the picked up the Alien Invasion Expansion since I think I want to try out Energy weapons.

Pistols and Grenades are supposed to be the weapons of choice for Engies, but I've seen some stuff on RE and MA for em. Does anyone have any experience with these or any other type of engies besides pistol/grenade?

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

TheUnforgiven posted:

Well, I took the picked up the Alien Invasion Expansion since I think I want to try out Energy weapons.

Pistols and Grenades are supposed to be the weapons of choice for Engies, but I've seen some stuff on RE and MA for em. Does anyone have any experience with these or any other type of engies besides pistol/grenade?

Pistols are great because there are huge rear end buffs for it (you can get +310 pistol without batting an eye), and there are some really good ones out there. I don't honestly know anyone who uses ranged or melee energy, but I suppose there's some good stuff out there for each of them to make it viable, like the energize perkline and such.

Also, would anyone be up for farming the poo poo out of DB2 this week/weekend? I need a bunch more infusers for my doc, and they're too expensive to go out and buy. We could do it easily with 3 people, just need me, a tank, and someone to kill the towers.

Vidmaster fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Apr 21, 2009

Tyshalob
Apr 10, 2008

om nom nom i eat ur town

Ranged energy has some decent options usually mixed in with other skills, but melee energy is just rubbish.

Cat Fancier
Dec 3, 2006

Cat Fancier fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Feb 16, 2018

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

Captain Schlork posted:

I don't need anything from DB2 yet but if anyone is doing DB1 soon-ish, please let me know. I want one of those evade NCUs, a Master Combat Program and a few pieces of DB armor.

DB2 drops the armor and is a shitload easier than DB1. I'll do DB1, but it's a lot more of a pain in the rear end and you need more people to do it well.

EDGECRUSHER
Feb 28, 2001

Vidmaster posted:

I know they've been talking about it for ages, and what I've heard on HC (this is RK1) is anyone who tries and "break out" to do anything in Pande without HC's approval will get banned.

That, and yeah the Tara thing is loving stupid. The RL will go on and on about who one bot has nothing to do with the other, but then they'll loving delay Tara while defending some loving org's 200 fields, or delay starting a Pande raid because Clanners keep playing hide and go gently caress yourself with towers.

Overall, like I said, I hate not having a chance to get jack and poo poo for my fixer because all the endgame poo poo is brooded over by a bunch of loving sycophantic weasels.

Tyshalob
Apr 10, 2008

om nom nom i eat ur town

EDGECRUSHER posted:

I know they've been talking about it for ages, and what I've heard on HC (this is RK1) is anyone who tries and "break out" to do anything in Pande without HC's approval will get banned.

That, and yeah the Tara thing is loving stupid. The RL will go on and on about who one bot has nothing to do with the other, but then they'll loving delay Tara while defending some loving org's 200 fields, or delay starting a Pande raid because Clanners keep playing hide and go gently caress yourself with towers.

Overall, like I said, I hate not having a chance to get jack and poo poo for my fixer because all the endgame poo poo is brooded over by a bunch of loving sycophantic weasels.

I'm lost. What's this about raidbots and delayed raids?

Cat Fancier
Dec 3, 2006

Cat Fancier fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Feb 16, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

Captain Schlork posted:

Well, in that case, count me up! I'm no heavy DD since I'm playing a fixer but I'm sure we can get a 4th person to join up as well. Do you have any estimates on times? I'm in GMT +2.

Fixers are fine for the 3rd person. Basically all you need is a doc, a tank, and someone to kill the towers, which can basically be anyone other than a doc. They don't have that many HP, and as a fixer you can get to them really fast, which helps a lot. Unless you're still using a QL 100 perennium beamer, we'll be fine. I'm around in the evenings in US Central time, so GMT -6. We can shoot for a weekend though, I should be around this one, and if we can grab a soldier, enf, or shade, we'll be in good shape.

• Locked thread