Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aeglowyn
Oct 6, 2005
Chief Fearsome Pirate Goon (Thankyou Zegnar)
In seven weeks time I'm going to visit the local dog shelter and stay in regular contact to find a dog I can give a good home to. Although I'm super excited about getting a dog, I'm also a little concerned about how to find the right one for me or how to treat a dog that may come home with issues the shelter didn't recognise. The frequently repeated PI line - that shelter staff will help you find a dog that's best for your enviroment - doesn't really seem to apply here, as the shelter is government run but trying to stay no-kill. The staff come across as desperate to send every dog home with an owner. Sometimes this doesn't work out and a year ago they were under investigation after an adopted Rottweiler mauled his family's four year old in the face. (The shelter was cleared of all charges but the story still put me on edge.)

I saw that Petfinder recently put out an Adopted Dog Bible. Has anyone here read it? Does anyone have any recommended reading for potential adopters? I guess I'm really looking for someone to reassure me that not all shelter dogs will be there because they're vicious babykillers. :ohdear:

And talking of vicious babykillers... almost every dog in this shelter is an SBT or SBT cross, and I've really fallen for how eager to please and good with kids they are as a breed. The one hurdle I've yet to get over is the concept of 'dog aggression'. If a breed is traditionally dog aggressive, does that mean it can never be taken to parks off the lead? Would excellent recall ever been excellent enough? Are there non-dog-aggressive dogs in traditionally dog aggressive breeds? And lastly, what's the deal with people who walk around with the SBTs muzzled?

I'll probably be back with more questions soon since I've come down with a bad case of Panicky New Mom Syndrome. Thanks in advance to anyone who answers these ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Umilele
Aug 12, 2007
Ugh, Rowan stole a chicken bone (cooked, KFC) from my little brother and ate it. Do I need to be concerned? Is there anything that I can do, or just wait for it to pass? He's about 52 lbs.

Crooked Booty
Apr 2, 2009
arrr
Did he swallow it whole or broken? How big? If it was broken/splintered and he just ate it, I would call an emergency vet and ask their opinion. Trying to get him to vomit up something sharp is risky, but a lot better than having it perforate his intestine. If it was whole and not very big, I would just keep a very close eye on him until you see it in his poo. Any vomiting, diarrhea, bloody anything, lethargy, weird behavior, coughing, gagging, not eating -- straight to the emergency vet.

Umilele
Aug 12, 2007
Thanks! I have no idea if he swallowed it whole or if he chewed on it first - apparently my little brother left his place unattended and my dad told me that Rowan had gotten it. I'll call the e-vet now, to be safe.

Susan B. Antimony
Aug 25, 2008

I have kind of a gross question for dog people--what's the best way to deal with poop stuck in hair around a dog's butt? Hosing him down and using a hand [with rubber glove] is what we've been doing so far, but should we just shave the little guy, or are there special poop combs, or? TIA

Crooked Booty
Apr 2, 2009
arrr
For cleaning it up, flea combs work really well for degunking fur (YMMV depending on your dog's coat type). But really, shaving the butt is the way to go if you ask me. A vet or groomer can do it for you for not much money, or you can invest in a set of clippers to keep it trim all the time.

C.TheRaven
Nov 6, 2004

I'm the best at what I do, and what I do isn't very nice.

Susan B. Antimony posted:

what's the best way to deal with poop stuck in hair around a dog's butt?

I use a warm washcloth (that we throw away afterward) to get poop off from around my dog's rear, and scissors to cut down the hair. My dog is super sensitive to anything touching his back end and hates water, so a hose or comb doesn't work for me. His hair grows really fast, so shaving him doesn't help me either.

I hate doing this task. I hate it, and he hates it. But the warm washcloth has been the most effective for us.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

Go at it with warm, soapy water. If he freaks over running water you can fill the sink up a bit and put his back end in. Honestly it's never bothered me. Yeah poop is gross but I wash as well as all my towels/washcloths. After scrubbing I'll clip the butt area down so the hair is shorter. If it's thick I try to cut out what I can before washing.

Susan B. Antimony
Aug 25, 2008

Thanks. We'll probably end up giving him a close shave, but my mom is convinced that there's some miracle solution that doesn't involving buzzing him.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

Thanks. We'll probably end up giving him a close shave, but my mom is convinced that there's some miracle solution that doesn't involving buzzing him.

...it's poop, not cement. Yes it's gross but with warm water, soap and some scissors you can get it out without buzzing him.

Susan B. Antimony
Aug 25, 2008

Well sure, but trying to wash him every couple of days--it's just v. unlikely, especially after I move out. Hell, I'm worried that they won't feed him.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

Well sure, but trying to wash him every couple of days--it's just v. unlikely, especially after I move out. Hell, I'm worried that they won't feed him.

Sorry, I missed that this was a common problem and you were going to give him a naked rear end just for one messy moment. How old is he? If he's younger sometimes they can thankfully grow out of it. I think I spent the first 8 months of my last dogs life washing poop out of her hair about every other day until she finally figured out she doesn't have to touch her rear end to the ground when she craps. :downs: But yeah, keep his butt curtains closely clipped.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005
Is it normal for a puppy to have an 'off' day? My pup is about eight months old now, I've had him for one month. Since he's been with me, every time he has seen another dog, even one three times his size and clearly out for blood - he's run over with his little tail wagging happily like he wants to make friends. No fear, no aggression. This morning I was walking him and he growled at a plastic bag on someone's front porch and then actually barked at a dog that was walking up the other side of the street and not even doing anything threatening.

After that he saw another dog behind a fence and didn't seem frigtened of that one. He just wanted to sniff him really badly.

Is it possible he's just having a grumpy day or should I be worried? No way to tell until it keeps happening or doesn't?

I do know that he was in a house with two bigger dogs before I had him, I don't know how much he was allowed to run around with them.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

McDougirl posted:

If you do want to keep her, you should take her to a vet and get her checked out anyway. It's not super smart to be exposing your dog to whatever she may have picked up from out there. Vets will often cut you a deal if you tell them she is a stray. As an aside, your dog is neutered, right? Because she's about the spay age, and if he's unfixed too...

As far as the chewing while you're away thing, have you considered crate training? That way she'll have a safe place to go, and she'll feel secure, and you won't worry. The peeing thing could just be related to her natural submissiveness. It doesn't always mean abuse. As mentioned, don't yell at her and don't loom over her. Also, you said that she was chewing while you're away, are you trying to discipline her after the fact? Because if so, that won't work. She won't know why you are yelling, and that will just make her more scared of you, and more likely to pee. You should only redirect her if you catch her in the act. Then once she's less skittish and has stopped peeing (in a few weeks/months, I mean) then you can correct her, but again, only if you catch her.

Some dogs just don't have the best bladder control when excited (and/or submissive) but in my experience, they grow out of it when it's not encouraged.

If you don't want to keep her, make signs of your own, or take her to a shelter, or find someone else to foster her. Just to reiterate what KilGrey said, don't just drop her off 'several blocks' away. If that's too much work, post your area, and I'm sure goons can help you find a good shelter.

I do plan to keep her I am a sucker for dogs :3: we were just putting her out there to see if she would go back to her original home but it looks like she doesn't want to go back and they don't want her back.

I have been disciplining her like I did my Pit/Texas fence hopper mix(he is 6 now), timeouts basically. A strong voice and making her sit in the corner when caught in the act. She just pees as soon as I raise my voice. I have sense stopped raising my voice when I discipline her and she has gotten a lot better with the peeing and the chewing, today there was nothing chewed up but the dog bowls were in the living room. She is just so different from the other two dogs I have trained before, this is also the first female dog I have trained.

I have been debating cage training but I really like that my Pit has someone to play with during the day and I would feel bad about caging one and not the other (which I do not want to cage my Pit as he has been a great guard dog). I just don't like locking up dogs :(

He is neutered and she will be going to get snipped in the next few weeks. My sister is a vet tech in Lubbock Tx who I have been talking to about her.

Umilele posted:

Ugh, Rowan stole a chicken bone (cooked, KFC) from my little brother and ate it. Do I need to be concerned? Is there anything that I can do, or just wait for it to pass? He's about 52 lbs.

My Pit has eaten dozens of KFC bones with no issues at all. Well one time after a 12 piece he was having a bit of trouble pushing it out but after a yelp it was all clear. I just laughed and told him that is what he gets for eating the bones. Anecdotal of course but I wouldn't worry too much.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
I feel kinda at a loss for the next step to take with my puppy. She hasn't completed her series of vaccinations, so our vet has told us not to take her outside. That's fine enough, but I feel like it's not letting me potty train her. She's got the idea of peeing on a pee pad pretty well down, but I just don't know how to get her to poop on it as well. I've tried calling her, placing her on it when she has to go, and even placing a fresh poop on the pad to give it a scent. Nothing works, and she's already found 3 places in the house that she prefers to do her business at. I've only had the puppy <2 weeks now, but I worry that because I can't take her outside for another month until these vaccines are finished, that we're just reinforcing bad behavior. Help?

UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I feel kinda at a loss for the next step to take with my puppy. She hasn't completed her series of vaccinations, so our vet has told us not to take her outside. That's fine enough, but I feel like it's not letting me potty train her. She's got the idea of peeing on a pee pad pretty well down, but I just don't know how to get her to poop on it as well. I've tried calling her, placing her on it when she has to go, and even placing a fresh poop on the pad to give it a scent. Nothing works, and she's already found 3 places in the house that she prefers to do her business at. I've only had the puppy <2 weeks now, but I worry that because I can't take her outside for another month until these vaccines are finished, that we're just reinforcing bad behavior. Help?

I don't think your vet meant that you couldn't take her outside at all, I think they meant not to be taking her anywhere like the dog park or somewhere she could potentially catch something since she isn't done with her vaccinations. She needs to be going outside frequently for potty breaks if your ultimate goal is to have her go outside. And don't use pee pads, that only makes her think it's okay to go indoors.

Don't let her have access to those places in the house she likes to pee when you aren't supervising her. Either keep her tethered to yourself on a leash if your home, or use a crate when you need to go out.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
I could be more honest about the outside thing. I take her to the backyard, but being a town house, that's almost all asphalt. No natural inclination to poop there. Next closest is to the corner, which sees heavy traffic, so Im between a rock and a hard place there.

I understamd what you mean about no pee pads, but since she is enjoying them, isn't it an opportunity? Keep moving them toward outside while still working to get her to go out there?

All in all, I've been really pleased with how easy this has been. I expected rambunctious and unruly, but I got rambunctious and eager to please, so I know we'll get there. :shobon:

C.TheRaven
Nov 6, 2004

I'm the best at what I do, and what I do isn't very nice.

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I understamd what you mean about no pee pads, but since she is enjoying them, isn't it an opportunity? Keep moving them toward outside while still working to get her to go out there?

There have been countless posts in PI about people that used pee-pads, and now their dog pisses where the pee-pads were in the house, or people disgusted with their boyfriend/girlfriend's smelly house and it all started because of pee-pads.

The fact that your dog is peeing indoors is what your dog is associating with peeing, not the pad itself. Take the pad away and your dog will look for the next best thing indoors (rug, carpeting, wood). And it will be hard to get your dog to make the transition from indoor peeing/pooping to outdoors. Its why putting down newspaper for pee training is an antiquated and often pointless training tool.

Do not use pee-pads, unless you want to destroy your house with piss; and YOU enjoy living in that filth.

Just because your dog would enjoy having a diet of human food doesn't mean its good for them, so no.. its not an opportunity, just like pee-pads aren't an opportunity. You have to do what is best for your dog, and best for you; it is your responsibility as a pet owner to do what is best for your pet. Sure, keep using pee-pads, and you'll be LUCKY if your pet doesn't continue to urinate and defecate in your house.

The only thing that really works is keeping an eye on your dog, and taking it out as soon as its eaten or drinks. If it doesn't go while its outside, you bring it back inside, and keep an eye on the pet's signals.. and when you start seeing the familiar signs; you take the dog out. You also take a puppy out several times, as previous poster indicated, because puppies pee OFTEN because their bladders are still growing (to be safe I'd take puppy out it at least once an hour, some trainers suggest every two hours). Yes there will be accidents until you pick up the signals, but if the dog is taken out right when it needs to go and you don't give it an option of going back inside until its pee'd- the dog will pee. And the dog will associate peeing and pooping with OUTSIDE.

Right now you're doing your dog a bigger injustice by using pee-pads, and it will most likely lead to bad behavior that you'll get sick of real quick and will be an uphill struggle to break your dog of later in life.

C.TheRaven fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Apr 17, 2009

Crooked Booty
Apr 2, 2009
arrr
Is there seriously no grass in your backyard at all? Even a tiny patch is way better than pee pads or asphalt.

Two problems with peepads:
One, you dog is going to associate going to the bathroom with a location and routine, not with a little pad on the floor. Your dog is going to see that it's fine to go potty anytime as long as it's in the corner of your kitchen or whatever.
Two, the majority of the associations your dog is managing to form with the actual pad are related to the texture and feel of it. Just like cats are naturally attracted to litter and litter-like substrates, you're training your dog to piss on anything and everything that feels kinda like a peepad - cloth, paper, carpet, whatever makes your pup happy.

Stop the peepads ASAP. Have a chat with your puppy and let her know it's never okay to potty indoors, period. Take the puppy outside at least every 2-3 hours during the day and stay outside until she goes to the bathroom. If she's still sneaking off to poop inside, put a leash on her and keep her close to you 24/7. As soon as she makes a move for one of her poop spots, starts sniffing around, etc - outside!

While you're waiting on vaccines, don't take her anywhere with other dogs or dog poo poo on the ground. This really only applies to dogs and poo poo from dogs you don't know - i.e. your friends' vaccinated healthy animals aren't going to get your puppy sick. If your backyard is private, that's totally fine - you're just as likely to track Parvo into your house as into your backyard (read: not likely).

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Understood loud and clear, and with a 3 day weekend, I can easily make those concessions. Ill learn her good I tells ya!

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Just out of curiosity, has anyone ever heard of medications making a dog react differently to someone?

About six months ago, I admitted that I have a serious problem and talked to my doctor and started on antidepressants, and when I visited my parents one of the dogs (who is from a shelter and was very malnourished and abused when we got her) suddenly folded her ears back and ran away with her tail between her legs and hid behind my dad when she saw me. She used to love me.

This was over Christmas break. Over that visit and some other ones I managed to make her warm up to me to the point that she doesn't run away and act like I'm going to hurt her, but I'm still very curious.

Reformed Pessimist
Apr 18, 2007
I'm having issues with my cat and her food. I'm feeding her Harmony Farms dry food right now, and she loves that stuff. It's pretty good for her and I can get it easily at a local grocery store.

When we got her, the animal shelter gave us some free wet food for her as well. It was an entire case of the stuff and we'd give it to her once a week. It was Purina One brand wet food, which I know from reading the pet food megathread isn't the greatest, but it was free so we used it.

She has about one can left, so I've been trying to find a new decent wet food for her. Harmony Farms does make wet food, and they carry it at the same place we get her dry food. I bought four different flavors and I've been trying it out on her.

The only problem is she won't have anything to do with the stuff. The first one I tried her on was Salmon flavored, and then today I tried her on Chicken and Turkey which is the flavor of her Purina stuff. Both times, she'll go over sniff the plate and then walk off and leave it to dry up on the floor. She won't even taste it.

I know she'll go absolutely crazy for the Purina stuff if I bust it open, but I want to switch her off of it. So I guess my question is, is there a technique I could try for getting her to eat this new stuff? Or should I just give up on it and try finding a different brand?

I noticed the consistency for the new stuff is different than the Purina. The Purina seems to have more of a meat and gravy texture where this stuff is definitely a puree type food. Could the texture be the issue?

If I should give up on this, is there a good brand that has a texture similar to the Purina stuff?

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist
Texture absolutely could be the issue. My cats hate pate style food, and will only eat shredded or chunks in gravy. I tried several different types myself, including the Solid Gold tuna that everyone says their cats love (mine didn't), and finally settled on Merrick canned. My cats like three of the seafood flavors best: Ocean Breeze, New England Boil and Surf n' Turf. Until recently, I was just ordering it off the website, because they have free shipping and I couldn't find it locally. But my neighborhood pet store started carrying it for me, along with the dry Innova EVO I feed my cats. So, I'd suggest you check independent pet stores in your area (mine's a tack and feed store that also sells dog and cat products), as they tend to have a lot more premium and ultra premium food.

tse1618
May 27, 2008

Cuddle time!
This morning I woke up and found that my kitty Puck had had what we think is diarrhea in and near the litterbox. I called the vet that my mother works at, and they had an empty appointment about an hour from then. I fed him his breakfast, half wet and half dry. He ate the wet, but not the dry. He eats EVERYTHING. He constantly begs for food, he would be so fat he couldn't walk if he had his way. This was what really worried me. Then, he went to his litterbox, squatted down for a minute, then got out without having produced anything.

The vet said that his bladder felt fine, couldn't find wrong with his mouth, and thought that probably he had eaten something that made him feel sick. We tried to give him fluids in case it was a urinary issue, but even with three of us we couldn't successfully hold him down for long enough to do it. I got a few cans of i/d, enough to last me until Monday. I was also given Metronidazole, 1.5 cc's twice daily. She told me it was to help with diarrhea and vomiting, and google tells me it's an antibiotic.

He licked a little at the science diet, but wouldn't eat a whole meal. I don't know if he doesn't feel hungry, which would be COMPLETELY out of character for him, or if he doesn't like the science diet. I offered him a feline greenie, and he chewed on it for a few seconds than spat it out. Normally, he's begging for them all day and will do anything for one. I told my mother (vet tech at the clinic I went to), and she just scolded me for feeding him something not science diet.

He's acting completely normal, frisky, curious, and mischievous. It's his not eating that scares me the most. Would he not want to eat because he ate something that upset his stomach? I haven't found any diarrhea since this morning. I'm really worried about him, but am I just overreacting, is this a normal response to him getting into something he's not supposed to?

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

I would keep a very close eye on his litterbox use. If he shows signs of straining in the litterbox again, take him in right away. Cats don't like to show obvious signs of being sick until it's too late, so you have to watch very closely.

Keep trying to get him to eat too, even if you have to feed him crap food or tuna or whatever. If he doesn't eat after a day or so, take him in again. Cats can really easily "starve" themselves to death (develop liver problems).

Usually when my cats get into crap (read as: everything in the trash cans, anything on the floor, anything on the table, anything in the sink), they normally just have diarrhea for a few days, but have no other problems. This seems a little more serious from your description, especially if he won't eat/straining in the litter box.

tse1618
May 27, 2008

Cuddle time!
I worry about the straining with all the horror stories I've heard of urinary blockage, but it could be possible that he felt he had more diarrhea, but didn't. I know that can happen to me when I'm sick. That's why it's the food that I'm especially worried about.

I feel like the vet just gave me the medicine and the i/d to make me feel better about prescribing something, but doesn't actually think it's a big deal. My mother is acting the same way. I guess they know more about sick cats than I do, but I know more about his behaviour than they do and he would never turn any sort of food down.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

I wouldn't think that an antibiotic would help with diarrhea, just from the purely anecdotal fact that whenever I'm on an antibiotic my guts go all to hell. It might kill off any bad bacteria if he's got the little kitty version of food poisoning, but I think I'd be more worried about it killing off the good bacteria that keep his digestive tract happy.

And it also seems weird that your mom would be upset at you trying to convince him to eat something, even if it wasn't prescribed. When Charlie was sick just a little while ago they told us to get whatever we could into him - and he has chronic renal insufficiency, so he's on an Rx food all the time. The fact that he would take his lovely Whiskas treats meant he was getting something in his stomach.

tse1618
May 27, 2008

Cuddle time!
I think it's because the vet said she wants him on a bland diet for the next few days, to not upset his stomach anymore. And feline greenies aren't bland enough or something.

johnny sack
Jan 30, 2004

One day, this team will play to their expectations...

Just not this year..

Can anyone tell me what kind of dog this is? I saw one just like it in a car in a parking lot and this is the only picture I can find of one that looks similar on google image search:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

larasndar
Nov 30, 2006

by Ozma
Bearded collie :)

Caveat since people have gone out and bought a puppy right after asking 'what breed is this' before now: don't! They're a high energy herding breed and the coat takes a fuckload of maintenance.

johnny sack
Jan 30, 2004

One day, this team will play to their expectations...

Just not this year..

larasndar posted:

Bearded collie :)

Caveat since people have gone out and bought a puppy right after asking 'what breed is this' before now: don't! They're a high energy herding breed and the coat takes a fuckload of maintenance.

Honestly, the fact that it's hair requires maintenance and that it has high energy makes me want it even more. My hair isn't too far from the guy in my avatar so I am naturally attracted to such things.

maso
Jul 6, 2004

fuck bitches get stud fees

johnny sack posted:

Honestly, the fact that it's hair requires maintenance and that it has high energy makes me want it even more. My hair isn't too far from the guy in my avatar so I am naturally attracted to such things.

You'd better post your own thread. Make sure you know what you're getting into and can handle it. Most people would not be able to, and there's no shame in that.

dAPER
Apr 21, 2005

haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaats
My cat is having strange issues.

He licks plastic bags...constantly.

I left a mall shopping bag on the floor in my bedroom. I didn't think anything of it until I heard the cat's tongue scraping against the bag seam. Now, he won't stay away from the drat things. If there's a bag on the floor anywhere, he'll run up and lick the stupid thing incessantly. It's really irritating, and can't be good for him.

I've obviously moved all bags out of his way, but what on earth would make him to that in the first place?

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

dAPER posted:

what on earth would make him to that in the first place?

dAPER posted:

My cat

You answered your own question.

The long and short of it is: cats are weird.

dAPER
Apr 21, 2005

haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaats

RazorBunny posted:

You answered your own question.

The long and short of it is: cats are weird.

It's apparently a common problem that no one can figure out. I want some answers drat it!!

Really, I just worry he'll choke on a bag someday.

hhgtrillian
Jan 23, 2004

DOGS IN SPACE

dAPER posted:

It's apparently a common problem that no one can figure out. I want some answers drat it!!

Really, I just worry he'll choke on a bag someday.

I had a cat that loved to do this as well. He wouldn't just lick it, he would try to eat it. I just had to make sure that I kept all plastic bags like that put away.

Crooked Booty
Apr 2, 2009
arrr

RazorBunny posted:

I wouldn't think that an antibiotic would help with diarrhea

Metronidazole is the standard first choice drug for cats with diarrhea. It has a lot of gut-soothing, anti-diarrheal properties, as well as being effective against bad bacteria and giardia. Not a weird med choice at all.

As for the food, I/D is gross. I've only met a few cats who will go near it. It's really nasty looking and I suspect it doesn't taste much better. W/D is also good for diarrhea (high fiber), and is way more palatable.

As everyone else has said, getting your cat to eat is important. At the same time if you start offering him all sorts of weird stuff, it's just going to make the diarrhea worse. I would try feeding him his old food for a while longer. Cats, unlike dogs and people, can only go about 3 days without food until their liver starts to shut down, which is very very serious. Eating is always the #1 priority in a sick cat, no matter what the food is, but with simple diarrhea I wouldn't freak out too much. Give your kitty a little while to start feeling better, and maybe the metronidazole will help.

If your cat wants greenies, let him have them. No matter what he's eating, if he can keep some sort of food down without vomiting, that rules out a lot of serious illness possibilities.

If your cat's appetite hasn't gotten better in the next 24 hours, ask the vet about an appetite stimulant or anti-nausea drug. If your vet carries it, mirtazapine rocks for getting cats to eat.

dAPER posted:

plastic bag licking cat

I know two different cats who do this. One is senile and will stare off into space while she licks for like 30 minutes at a time. It's seriously weird. The other licks for a while and then starts eating them. Eating plastic is bad.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist
drat near every cat I've ever owned licks plastic bags, including all four current felines. I don't typically stop them when, say, the bag is full of groceries that are being put away. However, I never, never, never leave bags unattended. It's far too scary of a prospect. I am absolutely positive at least one of them would try to actually eat the bag if I let them.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Crooked Booty posted:

Metronidazole is the standard first choice drug for cats with diarrhea. It has a lot of gut-soothing, anti-diarrheal properties, as well as being effective against bad bacteria and giardia. Not a weird med choice at all.

Ah, okay. See, I'm just used to most antibiotics killing EVERYTHING in the gut. When my rats were being treated for respiratory infections the vet made a point of letting me know that, and recommended yogurt, which is the same suggestion my doctor gives me when prescribing antibiotics. But of course not all antibiotics are the same.

tse, one of the things our vet suggested when we had a couple of little sick wormy kittens who needed a bland diet was baby food, specifically chicken puree. They loved it, and it definitely didn't upset their tummies like the normal cat food did. Your cat might like it better than the Hill's. I hate the fact that our cat is on k/d, it makes him stinky and constipated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scrotos
Sep 8, 2003

:gonk:
I was just wondering what most people do with cats and collars. I have 2 cats on collars and my wife wants to take them off since they never go outside and would only need them if they escaped. They do have the chip in them if they were to get out and be picked up. I am paranoid and want to leave them on. I know this is really my choice but was just wondering what other people do with their indoor cats and whether or not they make them wear a collar with a tag?