Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

Trophy Boner posted:

I watched it, there's just never really much to talk about after watching Mythbusters. The only people that usually talk about the show just complain about it.

THE BUILD TEAM SUCKS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sildenafil
Dec 17, 2004

They're just jealous.

-Atom- posted:

THE BUILD TEAM SUCKS

I laughed pretty hard at the "crash test dummies" they used in this episode though. :laugh:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I did feel a bit ripped off that they ignored pykrete for the big build and did frozen papier mache instead.

I wanted my sawdust boat :(

edit - buildteam sucks.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Trophy Boner posted:

I watched it, there's just never really much to talk about after watching Mythbusters. The only people that usually talk about the show just complain about it.

If he wants, I'm more than happy to complain about that Mythbusters episode. Actually I don't have many specific complaints, other than to say that Alaska week is stupid.

build team sucks

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

IRQ posted:

Alaska week is stupid.

Why isn't there an Iowa week? It's blatant discrimination :colbert:

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Gorilla Salad posted:

Why isn't there an Iowa week? It's blatant discrimination :colbert:

I don't know, it would be more interesting than tonight's Alaska based programming - "Some loving prison in Alaska." What does a prison have to do with Alaska? Well, uh, there's like one black guy who sounds like he belongs on the Cosby show and everyone has a silly accent donchaknow.

the-jam
May 20, 2003

Kick Out the MC5

IRQ posted:

I don't know, it would be more interesting than tonight's Alaska based programming - "Some loving prison in Alaska." What does a prison have to do with Alaska? Well, uh, there's like one black guy who sounds like he belongs on the Cosby show and everyone has a silly accent donchaknow.
It's a regular series of specials on prisons they're just airing the Alaska episode for the week. They've aired one on an Indiana prison too. It's not some specially made Alaska week program it's not even a premiere for this week it first aired last month.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

the-jam posted:

It's a regular series of specials on prisons they're just airing the Alaska episode for the week. They've aired one on an Indiana prison too. It's not some specially made Alaska week program it's not even a premiere for this week it first aired last month.

Fair enough, it said 2009 on the channel guide so I assumed it was new.

MidasAg
Oct 28, 2007
The Man of Silver
Yeah, previous Alaska weeks were much better. But I really felt that this weeks Mythbusters was really really weak. Only two myths, and they were only in Alaska too make and try out a frozen boat. Whoop-tee-freaking-do.

Its like the thought process went like this:
"Hey, we need to do somethign for Alaska week."
"OK, how about we do a bunch more Alaska myths, whole crew, go all out?"
" NO, I really didn't like it up there last time, too cold"
"OK, then lets do the same myths we've planned, but just build the boat in Alaska, that way we don't have to be there for more than , oh 2, maybe 3 days. "
" Sounds good to me, lets leave the rest of the guys here too, we don't need them."

I'm just not enthused about the myths anymore either, it seems they're trying to hard to stretch it out, really reaching for myths to do.

BlueArmyMan
Mar 30, 2007
Hooloovoo

Niklas Kronwall posted:

Wikipedia only quotes him as being a technical advisor.

I swear that I saw his name listed in the credits as an exec producer. Then again, my memory sucks poo poo sometimes, so it's possible I'm wrong. I'll keep an eye open next time to see if I see it again.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

BlueArmyMan posted:

I swear that I saw his name listed in the credits as an exec producer. Then again, my memory sucks poo poo sometimes, so it's possible I'm wrong. I'll keep an eye open next time to see if I see it again.
"Executive Producer" is infamous for often being a nebulous courtesy title that's given out to appease certain parties and their interests. You'd be hard pressed to nail down a consistent job description for the role from show to show.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost
I just watched last week's deadliest catch, and it was an OK episode. I've been watching for four seasons now, and it's still a cool show, but doesn't mesmerize me to the point where I'd marathon a whole season anymore. The Hillstrands are still nuts, and that's a great thing. The scripting in town I can live with, but I do miss the profanity getting censored with random effects instead of the standard beep. For those of you who want some spoilers, this is the site I have been using since last season's thread, they do have some reporting as the season is being filmed: http://deadliestreports.wordpress.com/

edit: Cutting to the chase about the lost boat: http://deadliestreports.wordpress.com/2008/10/23/cod-processor-katmai-lost-at-sea-near-aleutian-islands/

InsensitiveSeaBass fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Apr 19, 2009

Top Bunk Wanker
Jan 31, 2005

Top Trump Anger

hall n oates mom posted:

"Executive Producer" is infamous for often being a nebulous courtesy title that's given out to appease certain parties and their interests. You'd be hard pressed to nail down a consistent job description for the role from show to show.

The way Drew Carey explained it in his book, on his show "Producer" was just a story editor that got paid more, and "Executive Producer" might as well be "King of the Story Editors".

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

InsensitiveSeaBass posted:

For those of you who want some spoilers, this is the site I have been using since last season's thread, they do have some reporting as the season is being filmed: http://deadliestreports.wordpress.com/

Is there anything Sig won't put his face on?

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

Luigi Thirty posted:

I have to be reading that wrong - the Tastiest Catch Sauce doesn't say "Use as Tarter Cocktail or Love Sauce" - does it?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

LordOfThePants posted:

I have to be reading that wrong - the Tastiest Catch Sauce doesn't say "Use as Tarter Cocktail or Love Sauce" - does it?

Louie sauce, you put it on things like cold shrimp or crab.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

Luigi Thirty posted:

I don't blame him, I would sell out as soon as I could if I was Sig.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

Luigi Thirty posted:

His rationale (aside from money) is that this will drive up demand for Alaskan crab, thus helping keep crab fishermen at sea.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Trophy Boner posted:

... And those people usually are the ones that design elaborate conveyor belt contraptions to stop escaping planes or something similarly ridiculous.

The Alaska week 2 however, was weak. The parts with real pykrete were interesting, but why build a super-sized paper model? Also, the snowplow-myth was brain-damaged, and probably originated from the before-mentioned people.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Does anyone remember the Science Channel documentary about various rare psychoses, like a woman who sees demon faces, another woman who thinks her husband is a man pretending to be her husband, and a man who can't recognize animals or fruis or faces. This sound familiar?

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

FrensaGeran posted:

Does anyone remember the Science Channel documentary about various rare psychoses, like a woman who sees demon faces, another woman who thinks her husband is a man pretending to be her husband, and a man who can't recognize animals or fruis or faces. This sound familiar?

Yeah, I remember that. The woman who thought her husband was an impostor was messed up.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

McSpanky posted:

Yeah, I remember that. The woman who thought her husband was an impostor was messed up.
Synopsis of tonight's Deadliest Catch (no real spoilers, but I'll tag it anyway):

It's week 2 of the season, and boats are hunting down the elusive King crab. A vicious storm kicks up and a Mayday goes out. The Skippers are glued to their radios - waiting to hear the fate of 11 brother fishermen in distress on another boat.

So it sounds like whatever happens isn't on one of the main boats that the show follows -- at least for this week.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

WhiteHowler posted:

So it sounds like whatever happens isn't on one of the main boats that the show follows -- at least for this week.

We already knew that from the previews, in case anyone was still wondering.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

IRQ posted:

We already knew that from the previews, in case anyone was still wondering.
Ah, I don't watch the previews.

(But then I read spoilers. Look how smart I am.)

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

WhiteHowler posted:

It's the F/V Katmai that goes down on tonight's show.

I still maintain that if something that major had gone down on one of the show's primary boats, there's no way it would have stayed quiet for this long. It's not like these vessels exist in a news vacuum during the 9 months of the year that Deadliest Catch isn't on the air.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Timby posted:

It's the F/V Katmai that goes down on tonight's show.

It's not even a fishing boat, it's a cod processor ship.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

How do they plan to get that helicopter out there? Wikipedia says they have a max range of about 800 miles.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

IRQ posted:

How do they plan to get that helicopter out there? Wikipedia says they have a max range of about 800 miles.
It's possible that one of the Coast Guard's C-130's (which were mentioned in the radio chatter as being part of the search effort) was outfitted as a refueler.

In-flight refueling in hurricane-force winds seems pretty insane, though. Maybe they stopped somewhere in the western Aleutians and we just didn't see it on camera?

Fucktard Court
Dec 30, 2004

Aye
Aye
   Aye
Aye
   Aye
Aye
   Aye
  Stup

t1mp4 posted:

Art_Vendelay eat poo poo and die do you really think faliour man is better than bare grillz no hes not because falliour man are allways calling for help that lovely pussy so gently caress you bare grillz would snap your neck and faliour mans at once so shut the gently caress up and eat poo poo mother fucker bare grillz would just laugh at the faliourman wich eavent can complete hes missions. Well and bare grillz would gently caress you up at once if you said it to him at eye to eye he would pop out your drat eyes so gently caress you im tierd of your fuckers wich complaining and making fun of bare grillz wich is a true survivor.And if in case you didnt know Art_Vendelay Bare grillz would gently caress you up easely because hes been into special forces SAS so dont loving eaven arguaiting

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Failourman: Completing missions with his bare grillz. Don't loving eaven arguaite.

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.

AinSophAur posted:

words

Where the hell did you find this and please tell me it was a troll.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Darth Freddy posted:

Where the hell did you find this and please tell me it was a troll.

Looks like youtube to me.

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.
Poor fat time work guy nearly got his rear end kicked.

Edit to add. I want that drat saw.

Darth Freddy fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Apr 23, 2009

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Metallica will just do any drat thing for a buck, won't they?

MidasAg
Oct 28, 2007
The Man of Silver
In case no one caught it, the helicopter flew down to an island 250 miles form the Katmia, refueled, and then went out searching from there

sarr
Mar 24, 2008

Praise the Sun!
Man who puts a BLACK life raft on a boat for emergencies? That doesnt make any sense at all :smith:

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Why did that life suit look so... empty... but end up having a body in it?

Kwik
Apr 4, 2006

You can't touch our beaver. :canada:

Todd Flanders posted:

Why did that life suit look so... empty... but end up having a body in it?

Smaller/younger guy maybe?

Discovery tried VERY hard to avoid saying it, but when they pulled him up, he WAS dead, right?

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Kwik posted:

Smaller/younger guy maybe?

Discovery tried VERY hard to avoid saying it, but when they pulled him up, he WAS dead, right?

Looked fairly certain to me, it looked like he was face down in the water when they found him but its hard to tell with the blur.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Women's Rights?
Nov 16, 2005

Ain't give a damn
My impression was that he was dead, which is why they blurred it so heavily. I assumed it was because the family told them to, they probably don't want their son/husband/brother's body splashed across everyone's TV.

• Locked thread