Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LittleCat
Oct 24, 2004

twinkle, twinkle, little bat

Chemmy posted:

My fiancee's brother did a pig roast for their wedding food and it was awesome. Pulled pork sandwiches, plates of pork, served with potatos and such. Really good meal.

I've been to a wedding like that too, and it was completely fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maso
Jul 6, 2004

fuck bitches get stud fees
I got engaged just a few days ago so YAY I can post in this thread. :)

Okay, here's a question hopefully I can get some help with. Regarding dresses: I found one that I REALLY love. This is it.

Now, a couple of things. #1, has anyone dealt with this site before? Or something similar? The reviews seem to be good and I emailed one girl who had gotten that dress, and she had nothing but nice things to say. The website makes you submit your 17 point measurements so I imagine it's much less likely for a dress to not fit. I'm ordering the lace-up back so I assume that has more give than a zip up as far as size goes.

Concern #2 is that I have been losing a lot of weight and plan on staying on that trend. I've lost 30 lbs since Thanksgiving and plan on losing more than that before our wedding in mid October. That means I can't exactly order the dress a billion weeks beforehand, and it makes me a little nervous.

Has anyone been in this situation before? I'd like some advice if I can get it.

Sneaky Monkey
Jan 12, 2007

Beware of Hug Ninja. Trespassers will be hugged.

maso posted:

I got engaged just a few days ago so YAY I can post in this thread. :)

Okay, here's a question hopefully I can get some help with. Regarding dresses: I found one that I REALLY love. This is it.

Now, a couple of things. #1, has anyone dealt with this site before? Or something similar? The reviews seem to be good and I emailed one girl who had gotten that dress, and she had nothing but nice things to say. The website makes you submit your 17 point measurements so I imagine it's much less likely for a dress to not fit. I'm ordering the lace-up back so I assume that has more give than a zip up as far as size goes.

Concern #2 is that I have been losing a lot of weight and plan on staying on that trend. I've lost 30 lbs since Thanksgiving and plan on losing more than that before our wedding in mid October. That means I can't exactly order the dress a billion weeks beforehand, and it makes me a little nervous.

Has anyone been in this situation before? I'd like some advice if I can get it.

Congrats Maso!! That's a gorgeous dress, and for a great price too. Makes me wish I'd found that site before I went out dress hunting...I don't have any advice, but I have to know, are you going to have the pups do anything?

Thanks for the advice about the food everyone. Everyone on my side of the family got behind the idea of sandwiches and salads very quickly, so we're gonna be going with that. Now comes the fun part of finding a caterer...I know it's something we could easily and cheaply do ourselves, but my mother isn't budging on the "we're not going to spend the morning bothering with making and arranging food" stance.

maso
Jul 6, 2004

Sneaky Monkey posted:

Congrats Maso!! That's a gorgeous dress, and for a great price too. Makes me wish I'd found that site before I went out dress hunting...I don't have any advice, but I have to know, are you going to have the pups do anything?
Thanks. :) You know me, I really wanted to have the dogs involved. I even suggested the idea of getting hitched on the coursing field, but that got shot down instantly. People are no fun.

Anyway we're getting married on the beach and there are no dogs allowed on the beach which blows so much rear end. I wanted to do some sort of doggy ringbearer thing or something. I think we're just going to settle with having our wedding pictures taken in the park (or somewhere) with the hounds.

Sneaky Monkey
Jan 12, 2007

maso posted:

Thanks. :) You know me, I really wanted to have the dogs involved. I even suggested the idea of getting hitched on the coursing field, but that got shot down instantly. People are no fun.

Anyway we're getting married on the beach and there are no dogs allowed on the beach which blows so much rear end. I wanted to do some sort of doggy ringbearer thing or something. I think we're just going to settle with having our wedding pictures taken in the park (or somewhere) with the hounds.

I'm assuming the beach at Savannah, right? Lovely place, maybe you'll see some dolphins while you're saying your vows (I saw a school pass by close to shore last time I was there) :) Sucks that you can't have the dogs on the beach, and boo on everyone who shot down the coursing field idea! I think that would have been neat.

Maybe you can trick the people who regulate the No Dogs rule into thinking they're not dogs, just small deer...and a very fuzzy poodle-like deer.

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink
Congratulations Maso!!! I didn't buy my dress online, but I do have some suggestions as far as dress buying goes...

1. Even if you do purchase your dress online, go try on some dresses in a bridal shop beforehand. It's a fun, once in a lifetime experience, and you get to see which styles look the best on your body. You may discover that ballgowns aren't that great on your frame & a-line dresses look awesome.
2. Get someone to measure you who has some experience. Many dress shops will take measurements for you, especially if you're in there trying on things anyways.
3. A lace-up back will definitely give you more wiggle room as far as fit, but it'll only tighten up so much. You will still need alterations once you get your dress to make it fit perfectly. A good seamstress will be able to reduce your dress by a size or two if you lose more weight.

Happy planning! Definitely get some pictures taken with the pups since they can't participate in the ceremony. I'm in the process of figuring out a way to attach the rings to Cambria so she can play flower dog & ring bearer.

maso
Jul 6, 2004

GoreJess posted:

Congratulations Maso!!! I didn't buy my dress online, but I do have some suggestions as far as dress buying goes...

1. Even if you do purchase your dress online, go try on some dresses in a bridal shop beforehand. It's a fun, once in a lifetime experience, and you get to see which styles look the best on your body. You may discover that ballgowns aren't that great on your frame & a-line dresses look awesome.
2. Get someone to measure you who has some experience. Many dress shops will take measurements for you, especially if you're in there trying on things anyways.
3. A lace-up back will definitely give you more wiggle room as far as fit, but it'll only tighten up so much. You will still need alterations once you get your dress to make it fit perfectly. A good seamstress will be able to reduce your dress by a size or two if you lose more weight.

Happy planning! Definitely get some pictures taken with the pups since they can't participate in the ceremony. I'm in the process of figuring out a way to attach the rings to Cambria so she can play flower dog & ring bearer.
Thanks.

I think my concern with trying on dresses is like, when would I do that? It's not like I'm going to lose 5 or 10 lbs, I'm seriously on track for losing like 40 pounds. That's a big friggin difference. I think it would be fun to try on gowns, but I dunno I guess I'm just worried about having a very different body by the time the fall rolls around and really not being able to do a thing about it now.

I'm in a better situation than some people in that I wasn't always a cow, I was perfectly comfortable in a bikini and all that when I was in high school (and wore a corset/ball gown to a dance once and looked great in it, so that's good I guess).

Have you thought about a kind of tag bag for cambria? That's what I had been thinking for Oddy but can't use now. Like some nice little pouch attached to her collar that the rings have been tucked into.

zap actionsdower!
Aug 7, 2004

in favor of festivals
I am in serious need of help.

I have no idea what to get my bridesmaids as gifts. My wedding is this weekend, and I promise that I haven't been procrastinating; I have scoured the internet for ideas, and got nothing. Ideally, something handmade/unique would be great, but Etsy didn't provide me with anything great that was in my price range. I'd love to give at least one of them a gift certificate to a local antique mall that she loves, but I also feel like I'd be going, "HERE. This $50 is what you are worth to me."

Has anyone given or received any brilliant bridesmaids gifts? Heck, throw groomsmen gifts in there, too-- my fiance is similarly stumped.

maso
Jul 6, 2004

GoreJess posted:

I'm in the process of figuring out a way to attach the rings to Cambria so she can play flower dog & ring bearer.

Just found this and thought of you, :lol:

Sneaky Monkey
Jan 12, 2007

zap actionsdower! posted:

I am in serious need of help.

I have no idea what to get my bridesmaids as gifts. My wedding is this weekend, and I promise that I haven't been procrastinating; I have scoured the internet for ideas, and got nothing. Ideally, something handmade/unique would be great, but Etsy didn't provide me with anything great that was in my price range. I'd love to give at least one of them a gift certificate to a local antique mall that she loves, but I also feel like I'd be going, "HERE. This $50 is what you are worth to me."

Has anyone given or received any brilliant bridesmaids gifts? Heck, throw groomsmen gifts in there, too-- my fiance is similarly stumped.

An idea I found that I like - a framed photo of you and the bridesmaid together from sometime earlier. If she's an old friend or a sibling, a picture from when you were kids, or if she's a newer friend, something from a good time together or even something recent, like from the bridal shower or something you did together. As a surprise, you could slide the gift certificate or a meaningful letter from you to her behind it and give them a hint to look behind the frame.

lord1234
Oct 1, 2008
My wedding isn't till september. Only problem is a relative of mine already bought 150$+ worth of stuff off my registry and had it shipped to my house. How do I handle that? When/how do I send a thank you card? I don't even have thank you card's printed up yet!

LittleCat
Oct 24, 2004

lord1234 posted:

My wedding isn't till september. Only problem is a relative of mine already bought 150$+ worth of stuff off my registry and had it shipped to my house. How do I handle that? When/how do I send a thank you card? I don't even have thank you card's printed up yet!

Well, that's a bit early! Depending on who you ask, etiquette is to send thank you cards either within one or three months of receiving them. We have a similar situation where a relative of mine that won't be able to make it to town for the wedding sent a generous gift of money - we debated back and forth but then decided to send a one-off thank you card now, and a couple photos after the wedding.

From various sources, I -think- the proper thing to do in your situation would be to send a thank you now, but not use the gifts until after the wedding. I'd personally ignore that latter piece of advice, but maybe hold off until closer to the wedding in case things get postponed or anything. Either way, a single thank you card costs little in time or money, so there's no harm doing it now.

Zap: I got a nice letterpress print with a Khalil Gibran quote for my MoH (would have loved to spend a bit more, but I also bought her dress & paid for alterations), and we bought the guys a really awesome belt belt buckle and a handmade leather wallet, respectively. I hit up a monthly art/fashion fair for those items. If you're thinking something handmade and awesome, does your town have any sort of artsy area you can visit? Jewellery is probably the safest idea for bridesmaids - you can pick something that suits them individually, and there are always lots of places to find it. I'm a firm advocate of giving personal gifts, as opposed to going to the local engraving shop and buying matching trinket boxes/compacts and flasks.

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink

maso posted:

Just found this and thought of you, :lol:

Wow. I can only imagine how well that would go over. I'm picturing a scene where she stops halfway down the aisle & starts rolling all over the ground.

maso posted:

Thanks.

I think my concern with trying on dresses is like, when would I do that? It's not like I'm going to lose 5 or 10 lbs, I'm seriously on track for losing like 40 pounds. That's a big friggin difference. I think it would be fun to try on gowns, but I dunno I guess I'm just worried about having a very different body by the time the fall rolls around and really not being able to do a thing about it now.

I'm in a better situation than some people in that I wasn't always a cow, I was perfectly comfortable in a bikini and all that when I was in high school (and wore a corset/ball gown to a dance once and looked great in it, so that's good I guess).

Have you thought about a kind of tag bag for cambria? That's what I had been thinking for Oddy but can't use now. Like some nice little pouch attached to her collar that the rings have been tucked into.

Yeah, that is a pretty huge weight difference. I didn't see what kind of lead times that website had, but most dress shops have a 4-6 month wait if you special order a dress. I wish I could be of more help, but I didn't have to worry about weight loss since I've been about the same since I got out of college.

I did find a really pretty collar on etsy for only $10!! I think I could easily make some sort of pouch that would slide onto the collar & safely hold the rings. Of course, I'm also planning to somehow attach a flower to her collar....She has a lot of duties.

GoreJess fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Apr 13, 2009

King Skinny Pimp
Oct 24, 2004

by T. Finn

Sneaky Monkey posted:

The fiance and I are trying to figure out what we want to do about catering. We're planning on our wedding being around 11:30 or noon in the summer, outdoors. Because of this, we're going with a semi-casual to casual ceremony and reception so our guests (and ourselves!) can be comfy. Heavy or hot foods seem like a very bad idea, so we want to go with something light and doesn't require hotplates. One option is an hors d'oeurves only selection. At least one of the caterers we've got menus from offers sandwich buffets, either make-your-own or premade. Are any of these options not okay for a wedding? I don't know what other kinds of foods we could go with, and none of the weddings we've been to have done outdoor food serving.

We're doing about the same thing you are, noonish ceremony outside in May. It's at my dad's house, so I'm getting him to smoke some venison, pork, and beef, then we'll have trays out with that and cheese and rolls so people can make sandwiches. We're also going to do vegetable and fruit trays and some kind of dessert type thing.

So hey, if you're being tacky, I'm being tackier. We're not even going through a caterer, all homemade. Of course, my step mom and dad have put on pretty huge spreads for open house parties before, so I do know that they can do it and do it well when it comes to feeding 50 people.

LittleCat
Oct 24, 2004

Not that my opinion counts for much in the big scary world of judging other people's weddings, but to me

Tacky = not taking into account other people's comfort and happiness, not being respectful

Not Tacky = having fun with your wedding, doing things that make you happy (and fit your budget), while making sure your guests are treated well.

I'm sure some people will say having a sandwich buffet is just the tackiest thing ever, but gently caress them. They won't be the people that love you, they'll be the people who would never in a million years score an invite to your wedding. Consider whether you need a vegetarian option; otherwise I think your plan sounds fantastic.

LittleCat
Oct 24, 2004

Sorry for the double post, but that just reminded me.

I have two step-parent-ish people in my family. My mom's boyfriend will be MCing, my dad's new wife will be helping with set up and giving a reading in the ceremony.

When we make our entrance at the reception, the MC will announce us, we'll go sit, and he'll also announce our parents. Should he announce my dad's wife? I love her to bits but she had no part in raising me, but on the other hand she's contributing a lot to the wedding, she's family, and as my dad's wife she's financially contributing a lot more to the wedding than my fiance's parents.

My gut says better to make things potentially confusing and introduce her as a "parent" than neglect her.

Sneaky Monkey
Jan 12, 2007

LittleCat posted:

Sorry for the double post, but that just reminded me.

I have two step-parent-ish people in my family. My mom's boyfriend will be MCing, my dad's new wife will be helping with set up and giving a reading in the ceremony.

When we make our entrance at the reception, the MC will announce us, we'll go sit, and he'll also announce our parents. Should he announce my dad's wife? I love her to bits but she had no part in raising me, but on the other hand she's contributing a lot to the wedding, she's family, and as my dad's wife she's financially contributing a lot more to the wedding than my fiance's parents.

My gut says better to make things potentially confusing and introduce her as a "parent" than neglect her.

Would it be that bad to find out what she'd like to be introduced as? That way, you won't have to worry about hurting her feelings if you introduce her one way and she was perhaps expecting another.

I'm kinda in the same situation with a newly remarried dad and mom dating a guy. I've never met the new wife, though, only talked to her on the phone, and I don't think they'll be too involved with the planning...we'll see though.

maso
Jul 6, 2004

GoreJess posted:

Yeah, that is a pretty huge weight difference. I didn't see what kind of lead times that website had, but most dress shops have a 4-6 month wait if you special order a dress. I wish I could be of more help, but I didn't have to worry about weight loss since I've been about the same since I got out of college.
Thankfully, the site says to expect an average of 15 days from the time you place your order to the time it arrives at your door. Which sounds insane and not at all right, but they have a lot of positive testimonials. It almost seems too good to be true, but I emailed the one girl who posted her email address encouraging people to ask her about the dress and she was very happy. So I guess right now I'm thinking order the dress like a month before the wedding, and have someone take it in a smidge if I need it. Taking in just a bit around the waist or whatever shouldn't take but like a day or two, right? Or am I being totally clueless about this?

razzberri
Jan 16, 2004

Well, we are officially engaged as of Friday evening. We've been talking marriage forever, but it was still a big shock to actually get the ring AND have it be the one I showed him like 3.5 years ago when out shopping just after I found out I was pregnant. I have a sneaking suspicion that he had bought the ring THAT long ago and was just waiting for the right time to spring it on me.

Just a word about ordering a dress online. One of my co-workers is getting married in either June or July and she ordered her dress online from the US (we are in Canada). By all accounts, we've heard that for a wedding dress to be comfortable and have room for light alterations, it should be one size higher than your "normal" street clothes. So, she ordered it one size higher than usual and it arrived last week and is WAY too big for her. I'm paying close attention to this and if I end up ordering a dress from an online store, I will try to choose one that asks for measurements instead of offering particular sizes, in order to get a more custom fit. She may have saved money on her purchase but now she is saying it will cost a bunch more to get it altered to fit properly so in the end she will end up paying the same as if she had gone to a local boutique.

We're hoping to be able to have our wedding and reception at a local park in their beautiful pavilion. Our problem is, we want something for the guests to do while we run off to get pictures done since there will be no travelling between the ceremony site and reception site. We're thinking of setting up a karaoke machine or something interactive so people don't get bored sitting around waiting for us to come back so we can eat. We want to incorporate some of our interests, but we're so worried that people will think it's cheesy :( I'm going to be an "old" bride...I'm 35 now and will be 37 by the time we get around to actually having the wedding...I only plan to do this once and I want it to be memorable, but most of all I want it to be FUN for my guests, especially since a lot of them have to travel far to get here. I don't want this to be a typical "ugh that was boring" kind of wedding (like 98% of the ones I've been to). I guess what I'm wondering is, what is a good way to balance everything out so it doesn't cross the line into cheese territory?

zap actionsdower!
Aug 7, 2004

in favor of festivals

Sneaky Monkey posted:

Food.

I agree with LittleCat. As long as you have enough food/tasty food/your guests are comfortable, go with the sammies. We are. :) This weekend a buttload of Jimmy John's sandwiches will feed our guests, and I'm very excited about this.

MockTurtle
Mar 9, 2006
Once I was a real Turtle.

maso posted:

Taking in just a bit around the waist or whatever shouldn't take but like a day or two, right? Or am I being totally clueless about this?

This depends entirely on the construction of the dress. Some are easy peasy and you can just sip it in around the sides and be done with it but others are made in a way where it basically has to be taken apart and put together again so it's not obviously taken in. Also who knows how many other orders they might have before they can get to you. I would talk to a tailor before you get it and try to get an idea from them.

jomiel
Feb 19, 2008

nya

razzberri posted:

We're hoping to be able to have our wedding and reception at a local park in their beautiful pavilion. Our problem is, we want something for the guests to do while we run off to get pictures done since there will be no travelling between the ceremony site and reception site. We're thinking of setting up a karaoke machine or something interactive so people don't get bored sitting around waiting for us to come back so we can eat. We want to incorporate some of our interests, but we're so worried that people will think it's cheesy :( I'm going to be an "old" bride...I'm 35 now and will be 37 by the time we get around to actually having the wedding...I only plan to do this once and I want it to be memorable, but most of all I want it to be FUN for my guests, especially since a lot of them have to travel far to get here. I don't want this to be a typical "ugh that was boring" kind of wedding (like 98% of the ones I've been to). I guess what I'm wondering is, what is a good way to balance everything out so it doesn't cross the line into cheese territory?
I'm still in early planning stages but I found that having discussions/brainstorming sessions with different people you trust helps. This weekend my mom and my younger aunt were available to discuss some location ideas with me. My ideas are kind of crazy and range from a picnic in a redwood state park to a costume party to dinner in a pub... and pretty much these were all no-go from a different, practical point of view. (They didn't want to go to the park bathrooms, pub is not the environment we want, etc.) Finally we settled on a few locations with adjoining grounds, great view, potentially within budget, and in our character--now I just need to scope them out and email for quotes :v:

Does your park allow amplified sound? What other interests were you planning to do? What do you think about doing the photos before your ceremony starts so your makeup, dress, etc. would be fresh and you can join the guests immediately after the ceremony? (Of course, the downside is that your groom would see you in the dress and perhaps ruin the big "coming down the aisle" surprise.)

But yeah I am also looking for things to do for the wedding that makes the event more interesting. A lot of friends and family are flying in so we want their weekend to be enjoyable.

edit: Name update: Surprisingly, my mom was in favor of me taking the foreign last name. She had kept her maiden name and said that it's a hassle not to have the same last name as my brother and me. Like for flight miles she would have to go to the airport to sign papers in order to certify that we are her kids and can use her mileage. So I'm reconsidering...except that everyone in my family is going to have trouble spelling my name, haha :D

jomiel fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Apr 14, 2009

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink

maso posted:

So I guess right now I'm thinking order the dress like a month before the wedding, and have someone take it in a smidge if I need it. Taking in just a bit around the waist or whatever shouldn't take but like a day or two, right? Or am I being totally clueless about this?

If you can wait until a month before the wedding, you may not need to worry about alterations with a corset back gown. The only thing that may need to be altered is the hem, but it looks like this site takes care of that for you as well. From a personal experience standpoint, my dress has a corset back & the only alterations I need are hemming & bustling. The corset allows you to adjust the gown if your waist line/boobs expand or contract a little.

maso
Jul 6, 2004

GoreJess posted:

If you can wait until a month before the wedding, you may not need to worry about alterations with a corset back gown. The only thing that may need to be altered is the hem, but it looks like this site takes care of that for you as well. From a personal experience standpoint, my dress has a corset back & the only alterations I need are hemming & bustling. The corset allows you to adjust the gown if your waist line/boobs expand or contract a little.

Excellent, this is what I was hoping for. I sat down with my fiance and talked about this. A month before the wedding I should weigh about 136. Shooting for about 130 for the wedding itself. 136 is what I weighed through high school, and I was remembering that my only areas I wished were thinner were my arms and my stomach (but not by much). Obviously the arms won't affect a drat thing on this dress but yeah I'm hoping the corset back will be able to be cinched tighter for any loss of tummy. Sorry if this all is too e/n I just kind of wanted to put it all out there in case someone reading this knows their poo poo about dresses and can tell me why my theory is right/wrong.

Any creative but relatively inexpensive ideas for wedding favors? I'd really rather not do the jordan almonds in tulle thing...

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Got my girl's ring in today after the long wait. She loves it.

Color E SI-2 .56ct with 2 .14ct side stones and GIA certified.

amethystbliss
Jan 17, 2006

Just wanted to second the corset back dress comment. Mine had a corset back as well and I didn't need any alterations to the bodice- just the hem.

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink

maso posted:

Any creative but relatively inexpensive ideas for wedding favors? I'd really rather not do the jordan almonds in tulle thing...

Favors are the one thing I can't seem to make a decision on. I think I'm starting to lean towards 2 Lindt truffles in a cute box. I like the dark chocolate & fiance likes the white chocolate, so we'd put one of both in the box. I just don't want to spend money on some trinket with our names on it that no one will ever use. For example, I now have a sand dollar with our friends' names & wedding date on it. What am I supposed to do with that???

Anything edible is usually a good choice. The big trend right now is doing a candy buffet, which could be a lot of fun.

teacherkate
Jun 28, 2008

maso posted:

Is there anything native to your location?

It's Old Bay spice for my Maryland wedding (my mom's idea). It works nice because we are going to have crab cakes at the reception. I thought I'd put them in a box with a card explaining about what it is and how we use it. I also went to a wedding in Vermont where they gave everyone maple syrup.

Or maybe that's still too traditional for you, in which case, I would agree that anything edible is good.

zap actionsdower!
Aug 7, 2004

in favor of festivals

amethystbliss posted:

Just wanted to second the corset back dress comment. Mine had a corset back as well and I didn't need any alterations to the bodice- just the hem.

Thirding it (because that's so useful). I lost 20 pounds from having my jaw wired shut, and didn't have to have the bodice taken in at all. Hurrah!

squirrellypoo
Feb 8, 2003
We just had to face facts this week and recognise that there's no physical way for us to be married on 19 September 2009 if I'm only getting out of hospital from my bone marrow transplant in mid-July (they keep pushing back the date on me, grrrrr) and not even able to go out in public in September. :(

So we need to ring the venue and plead with them to allow us to change the date to Sept 2010 and hope they'll take compassionate pity on us and not make us forfeit the £2,000 deposit. So now "our day" will no longer be "our day". It'll just pass like any other day now and be someone else's day.

I'm thoroughly depressed at wedding stuff right now even though the brain says there's lots of good reasons and upsides to postponing it for another year, but that's not much consolation right now.

Nione
Jun 3, 2006

Welcome to Trophy Island
Rub my tummy

squirrellypoo posted:

We just had to face facts this week and recognise that there's no physical way for us to be married on 19 September 2009 if I'm only getting out of hospital from my bone marrow transplant in mid-July (they keep pushing back the date on me, grrrrr) and not even able to go out in public in September. :(

So we need to ring the venue and plead with them to allow us to change the date to Sept 2010 and hope they'll take compassionate pity on us and not make us forfeit the £2,000 deposit. So now "our day" will no longer be "our day". It'll just pass like any other day now and be someone else's day.

I'm thoroughly depressed at wedding stuff right now even though the brain says there's lots of good reasons and upsides to postponing it for another year, but that's not much consolation right now.

Sorry to hear that squirrelly, but hopefully everything will work out for the best. Obviously you know this, but your health is what's really important right now. That and of course it's going to be more fun getting married when you're feeling healthy and able to really enjoy yourself. I know September 2010 sounds like a long time away, that's when we're getting married as well, but it's going to absolutely fly by. I keep telling myself to stop making plans because it's too far out, but 17 months really isn't that long when you think about everything that has to be done. As for "your day" passing, why don't you and your fiance do something that day to celebrate your successful recovery after your transplant? You could have two anniversaries then. It doesn't have to be something "out of the house", but just spend time together, the two of you, which is really what this whole wedding thing is about anyway, right?

I know our venue told us that if we canceled we'd lose our deposit, but that if we just needed to change the date we could do that without any penalty, as long as it was 90 days in advance of the date. I'm sure they'll work with you some way, they want your business and it's really in their best interest to accommodate you. Plus September 2009 is far enough away that they can still book that date, so they won't lose out on that either.

It'll all work out, you'll see.

amethystbliss
Jan 17, 2006

I'm sorry you're feeling so down, squirrellypoo :(. As exciting as wedding planning is, you've already begun to spend the rest of your life with the person you love! Everything else is just fluff. I remember reading a post of yours earlier about how petty things like invitation design or centerpieces seem in light of your recent illness and it really put things in perspective for me.

You are in love, and that alone is a source of joy and comfort. You have already found someone who must be an amazing, supportive man and you're doing everything you can to be as healthy as possible as soon as possible. And that's exactly how it should be. Wearing a pretty dress and throwing a party is extraneous :). I hope the venue is sympathetic!

all american
Mar 6, 2007

This aggression will not stand, man.
In a vein similar to favors, I'm looking for a unique gift for my groomsmen. I don't want to give everybody there fifteenth engraved flask or money clip, so if anybody knows anything cool, please share.

Wench
Aug 8, 2000
MONITOR != TOUCHSCREEN. DO NOT TOUCH THE MONITOR

all american posted:

In a vein similar to favors, I'm looking for a unique gift for my groomsmen. I don't want to give everybody there fifteenth engraved flask or money clip, so if anybody knows anything cool, please share.
Our best man got a fancy compass (he's very outdoorsy), and our other two groomsmen got a pocket watch and cuff links, respectively. We tried to give them things they would use, but would never buy for themselves.

We got the cuff links on Etsy, I found the pocket watch on Amazon, and the compass was from Red Envelope.

And since people are talking about favors, we totally went the edible route. Our hotel provided two warm chocolate chip cookies for each guest at their plate. We figured that they would not go to waste - I have so much random stuff that I got as wedding favors!

Other than edible favors, I did like one favor - good friends of ours gave shot glasses with their names, the date, and a design on them. Granted, I have a use for shot glasses - and they might not be appropriate for everyone.

squirrelypoo: that blows. And I'll bet it's quite frustrating. On the other hand, you are still getting married, which is a good thing. Like others have said, it will be here soon enough! Take care of yourself and be well, first.

And finally, food - hey, a variety of sandwiches and salads and stuff would be awesome for a casual outdoor wedding. Etiquette only demands that you give your guests some sort of refreshment at your wedding - it does not tell you what. Everything from punch and pie to a full seven-course meal is appropriate, so long as there's enough for everyone.

BizzaroprOn
Jan 19, 2005

2 in the chest followed by one in the head
I got engaged last night to my girlfriend! I took her to her favorite restaurant (a sushi bar), ordered her favorite food and popped the question!

Our date is planned on June 5th, 2010.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.
For those who haven't been following along (I don't post in this thread too often), we opted for a psuedo-elopement, deciding that it made sense for a variety of reasons to get married before moving out of state, even though we had initially planned on having a wedding next year sometime.

We're still planning on having a traditional type ceremony where we will renew our vows after we move, but we're now legally married which will hopefully make our lives a little easier in the interim. We had a courthouse ceremony where we got a little bit dolled up.

Since our date was the 15th, when we arrived at the Civic Center downtown, there were "teabaggers" outside protesting, so that was fun. Once inside, though, we didn't have much problem. The ceremony was short and sweet, and afterward we went downtown to an area with a beautiful flower garden to take some additional photos.

The whole thing ended up being a little bit more elaborate than we had anticipated, since we're still planning on doing the big thing later, but that's mostly because our parents insisted on making a fuss. We really can't complain (although the cake was a little tacky, it was also delicious!)

Here are some photos, from the 4 different cameras that were constantly going off:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/brc64/sets/72157617062629928/

And just think, in a year I get to do it all again, only bigger!

iloverice
Feb 19, 2007

future tv ninja
After 4.5 years, my girlfriend and I decided to get married. We were kind of apathetic about the whole thing, as for both of us it doesn't mean very much. However, there are a few benefits that appeal to us in marriage and it would be a great excuse for both of our families to get together and have a party. We absolutely do not want to have a big fancy wedding. In fact, we were talking and it would be totally cool to have a giant BBQ (I'm Korean and she's German, so a BBQ with our respective country's food could be delicious!). We are just having a problem with finding a good location. Her only requirement is that we have dancing at the wedding, which I guess also requires alcohol. We are planning on doing a combined ceremony and reception thing, with the ceremony taking about 30 seconds.

A park sounded like a good idea but the possibility of random people being assholes could ruin a fun event; also having music and a nice dance area would be difficult. Quite possibly the largest plus here would be a free venue. Has anyone here had a park wedding?

Another idea was in a brewery/winery. This would easily handle alcohol and dancing but we'd like to bring our own food and BBQ ourselves. I'm not sure how lenient some places are about this type of situation. We also don't want to have to spend a lot of money and renting out a place would probably be our largest expense. If you've had a brewery/winery wedding, how much did it run you?

Its exciting to plan all of this stuff but our date is September 24th, 2010 (6 year anniversary) so its also tough having to wait so long.

Emilar
Jun 19, 2006
Oh snap!

iloverice posted:

A park sounded like a good idea but the possibility of random people being assholes could ruin a fun event; also having music and a nice dance area would be difficult. Quite possibly the largest plus here would be a free venue. Has anyone here had a park wedding?

Another idea was in a brewery/winery. This would easily handle alcohol and dancing but we'd like to bring our own food and BBQ ourselves. I'm not sure how lenient some places are about this type of situation. We also don't want to have to spend a lot of money and renting out a place would probably be our largest expense. If you've had a brewery/winery wedding, how much did it run you?
My fiance and I want a similar type of wedding (VERY casual). Having our own food, rather than a restaurant or caterer, is a top priority for us. I've been looking into different parks, but, like you, are concerned about random assholes potentially ruining our time. The nasty public bathrooms (even if we clean them ourselves, anyone in the park can still use them) is another huge downside.

On the other hand, I've also been looking into renting an indoor space (not winery or brewery specifically), and I've found that most require that you use either buy their food or hire a specific catering service. So, you may run into that obstacle when looking into indoor spaces.

Good luck to you!

pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007
Hey everyone! Just getting ready for the big day and wanted to ask if anyone had some advice as far as gift registries are concerned? Both my fiance and I are pretty much clueless as to what is good to include, or what places are good to set up a registry. (She's actually kind of hesitant to do it in the first place, since she feels like it's tacky to ask for stuff, but I've convinced her that it's important because it actually makes shopping for gifts a lot more convenient for some guests.)

Any tips would be welcome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amethystbliss
Jan 17, 2006

Target has a fairly comprehensive list of commonly requested items that they give you when you sign up to register there. We thought Target was an awesome place to register since everyone has one nearby (assuming you're in the States) and you can manage it all online. Their website has a lot of reviews from other customers which was also really helpful. We originally wanted this one cutlery set but then read reviews which said they rusted quickly. Little stuff like that made a difference for us.