Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

Whilst on the subject of weird cruisers, and stereotypes vs. reality and all that: what do actual no-poo poo criminal biker gangs ride? Do they actually ride Harleys and view anyone riding non-US bikes with contempt?

MadMax tells me they all ride Kawasaki Z1000s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

OrangeFurious posted:

Highways pegs are meant to be used on long, empty roads. A lot of cruiser styling and comfort is based around the idea of nigh-endless stretches of smooth pavement with miles of visibility.

On that note, I heard a story about the development of cruisers vs. sporter/standards. The gist was that American geography lends itself to wide open spaces and long, straight roads. Cruisers were built to accommodate this and be comfortable for those lengthy trips. Standards and sports came from Japanese and European geographic concerns, which typically had less flat, open space and more need to navigate dense areas like thousand year old cities.

I've also heard the styling grew out of the equestrian traditions in those areas - cowboys vs. jockeys.

Thoughts?

I think if you go too far down that path, you end up with the superior european roads/engineering/cultural bias bullshit coming up.

I think the truth of it really is: Cruisers never had to evolve. They always want that old school look, old school feel, and have refined that down to what you see now. Sportbikes are designed with only the track and speed in mind, and then standards are for people who want to A to B in comfort and maybe scratch up some twisty roads every so often, or take long trips. There's crossover, some bikes that pretend to be one thing but are another, but in the end, what it comes down to is a standard is a motorcycle that's expected to do it all, cruisers are for taking in the scenery and cruising around, and sportbikes are uncompromising track rides that sometimes end up being good on the street as well. The cool thing is that sportbike tech has trickled down over time to streetbikes and cruisers.

That is ignoring the individual aspects that make motorcycles really unique, but in general, encompasses the development of each of the different types of motorcycles.

Gr3y
Jul 29, 2003

I know the vast majority of braking power is in the hand-brake, but still I'd be uncomfortable having my foot that far from the brake. Not to mention being nowhere near the clutch on the left.

Whilst on the subject of weird cruisers, and stereotypes vs. reality and all that: what do actual no-poo poo criminal biker gangs ride? Do they actually ride Harleys and view anyone riding non-US bikes with contempt? I'm kinda curious about the whole thing, but not sure if my wider interest is more an A/T issue. I'm just confused on what's Hollywood and what's actual reality.

Kinda along those lines, and about the practicality of the bike aspect vice the bikes just being an identifiying feature of an otherwise pretty standard criminal organization: I found it most amusing when I read that when the various Quebecois gangs affiliated with motorcycle gangs to shore up their strength, the gangs actually required them to start riding bikes. So you get a bunch of middleaged Quebecois liquor smugglers and heroin dealers out tooling around in a parking lot trying not to drop their bike for a few weeks.

All the HAs I've ever met will only ride Harleys. Not Victory, not Big dog, not Boss Hoss, Titan, or anything else. Only Harley. I'm pretty sure other 1%ers are the same.

However my cousin in law (and the family sportbike aficionado) said that some of the gangs in the DC area up through NYC are all sportbikers. Of course that doesn't mean their a motorcycle gang per se, so much as a gang that have adopted motorcycles.

In fact when he had his CBR1000 stolen back when he was in DC the police told him that sportbikes are popular with people (particularly drug dealers) who like to be able to quickly get away from cops.

discostu
Feb 8, 2008
I'm not sure I should be one to talk considering I've never ridden a biek before but I had the first squid of the season come in thru my ED today. Apparently the guy was playing low speed around 20 mph on a 250cc bike. He lost control and I assume he attempted to brake with his right foot because he has a near amputation distal to the ankle. I usually never pay attention to patients clothes but since I've been reading this forum, I noticed that his footwear was a sneaker. He had only one part of the equation right and that was the beginner bike. Just goes to show you that even a beginner bike can kill you. He was lucky to be alive actually considering he had no helmet on. Although if he's really lucky and been praying to the right gods, he might save his foot.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

discostu posted:

I'm not sure I should be one to talk considering I've never ridden a biek before but I had the first squid of the season come in thru my ED today. Apparently the guy was playing low speed around 20 mph on a 250cc bike. He lost control and I assume he attempted to brake with his right foot because he has a near amputation distal to the ankle. I usually never pay attention to patients clothes but since I've been reading this forum, I noticed that his footwear was a sneaker. He had only one part of the equation right and that was the beginner bike. Just goes to show you that even a beginner bike can kill you. He was lucky to be alive actually considering he had no helmet on. Although if he's really lucky and been praying to the right gods, he might save his foot.

I was teaching a friend to ride on the 75 CB200 that we have...long story short, he managed to wheelie it and them dump it directly on his ankle. Thankfully, I had him wear my old set of A* SMX Pluses, gloves, an old helmet, and a long sleeve shirt/jeans and he walked away with no injuries. I'd imagine that what you have there could have been him if he hadn't been wearing the boots.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Watommi posted:

so as I merged onto the freeway (I-8 in El Cajon) a couple hours ago, I looked across about 6 lanes of traffic and saw a guy doing the huge "HI GRANDMA!" wave at me from the opposing lanes. I wondered if he was a poster from here, what with all the goofy discussions about waving we have.

Reminds me of a great thing that happened to me last month.

I'm cruising around on a nice, sunny, day on a road that has little to no traffic on it. I've got the tunes going and all is good. I notice this car coming up behind me and I just maintain speed to she can blow by me.

The car pulls up next to me and stays there, keeping pace. I'm not really sure what the gently caress, so I just kind of ride along ignoring it. Finally after like 30 seconds I look over and this woman is looking right at me. She makes a thumb gesture backwards and I'm thinking maybe there's something wrong with my bike, but she's smiling. So I look back at her backseat, and there, sitting in a car seat is this little boy with a huge "Holy poo poo" look and his eyes all big staring at me.

I wave at him and he gets a gigantic grin, and waves back. The mom waves a thanks and they take off again.

It's awesome that I made the kid's day with just a simple wave. (and I'm also glad I wear all my gear and a full helmet. I hope he remembers that.)

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"
I've had that happen quite often, although usually it's with pedestrians (i.e. parents with their kids). I'll give a big wave, blip the throttle a bit, and ride off. :D

Every time, after it happens, I think to myself "yeah, bikes are pretty loving rad."

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Simkin posted:

I've had that happen quite often, although usually it's with pedestrians (i.e. parents with their kids). I'll give a big wave, blip the throttle a bit, and ride off. :D

Every time, after it happens, I think to myself "yeah, bikes are pretty loving rad."

That happened to me a few days back when I was riding my friend's SV around...I pulled up to the mailbox to check my mail and just left the bike running for a minute, kid is staring at me with huge eyes...so I waved and then pulled a small wheelie as I left. Kid's going to grow up to be a stunter. :v:

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
Kids love my really old 1960's bike. I honk and rev the engine to make clouds of smoke and they go loving crazy. :unsmith:

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

Watommi posted:

so as I merged onto the freeway (I-8 in El Cajon) a couple hours ago, I looked across about 6 lanes of traffic and saw a guy doing the huge "HI GRANDMA!" wave at me from the opposing lanes. I wondered if he was a poster from here, what with all the goofy discussions about waving we have.

This honestly was probably one of the guys I work with. If he's out smoking when I show up for work he does jumping jacks or a disco dance. He's a strange dude. My shop is about two blocks from the entrance to the 8 and we test drive cars there all of the time.

EDIT to add:

I found out two things today.

1) I'm an idiot (this I have suspected for years but have only just proven)
2) My bike is really heavy

For years I have read on Craigslist about the "small scratches on the side since I dropped it in the driveway" and have always wondered what kind of dumb rear end drops their bike when they are barely moving. Well, today I became that kind of dumb rear end.
I was backing my bike out of the spot I stuck it in and it kind of picked up some speed. I was thinking to myself "this is neat, but it's going kind of fast backw" THUMP! Helmet, gloves, keys and wallet all go flying in different directions.
After a frantic look around to see if anyone had noticed (they didn't) I picked it up and put it on the kickstand. Then I collected my gloves, helmet and sundry other poo poo off of the ground.
Fortunately the GS engine cases stick out about 5 feet on either side so it was only listing over a few more degrees from where it would if it were on the kickstand. No damage aside from maybe scratching off some dirt on the gennie cover.

I do however feel really stupid.

Bugdrvr fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Apr 18, 2009

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Z3n posted:

I was teaching a friend to ride on the 75 CB200 that we have...long story short, he managed to wheelie it and them dump it directly on his ankle. Thankfully, I had him wear my old set of A* SMX Pluses, gloves, an old helmet, and a long sleeve shirt/jeans and he walked away with no injuries. I'd imagine that what you have there could have been him if he hadn't been wearing the boots.

Someone at my MSF class did the same thing from a dead stop. She rode out the day, but couldn't walk the next day and didn't come in. Was only wearing over the ankle boots; nothing fancy.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?

Doctor Zero posted:

You know, I thought it was legal in something like Texas or something "out west", but after research it seems it's only legal in CA. Maybe I heard there was a state that was thinking about making it legal, I dunno. v:shobon:v

Here in NJ there is now a "lane splitting task force" which I gather is a bunch of people discussing if lane splitting should be legal. If they do, I'll definitely be carrying a copy of the law in my bike jacket.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Bugdrvr posted:

1) I'm an idiot (this I have suspected for years but have only just proven)
2) My bike is really heavy

I was messing around with my bike in the storage unit I used to have and I put the kickstand up. After a few minutes, I leaned the bike over to put it back on the stand and when it didn't stop tilting I suddenly realized I forgot to put the kickstand back down. My bike weighs around 750 lbs and I just loving fixed it, so I nearly ripped every muscle in my shoulder pulling it back up from the brink. For a sickening second I didn't think I was going to make it, but adrenalin is a miraculous thing.

The lady that works in the storage place's office saw it though. :smith:

OrangeFurious
Oct 14, 2005

Ce n'est pas une St. Furious.
I did something similar. I was in a bad mood at the time, which never helps when riding.

I pulled into a parking space and really kicked (take that! bad mood!) the stand down. Being on a spring, it snapped back up without my knowing. I hopped off the bike and let it go into the stand position, which meant it fell on me and knocked me over. My bike only weighs 460lbs, but getting it back on it's wheels hurt my shoulder something fierce. This was six months ago, and it still hurts.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
Did the same thing trying to get my KZ on the centre stand. Caught it just before it hit the ground. Filled with piss and vinegar from almost being crushed I lifted it back up and heaved it onto the centre stand like it weighed nothing. I hurt everywhere for a week after that. :(

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008
Now this was a lot of fun to deal with.

Bike heavy, Triumph Sprint 900, a good 500lbs or so.

Ground covered in slippery snow.

Fell over right next to the electric fence.

I didn't even attempt this one without assistance, and still managed to take a coule good whacks from the fence.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

drat, well at least you sort of had a soft landing. :v:

Riding this winter, I had my bike just about capsize when trying to push through some slush, and despite the fact that I was wearing (pretty much) flat soled riding boots, I kept it upright. My back hurt for a good week, though. :cry:

mutt2jeff
Oct 2, 2004
The one, the only....
Everybody drops their bike at some point. When your a dope like me and add another 2 inches of suspension to a bike that started with a 34-35 inch seat height, you do it more often than most. Its less embarrassing when everyone around you knows you could not care less about dropping the bike. Its embarrassing to them when you can pick it up, get back on, and still beat them at a pole bending competition. :c00lbert:

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

mutt2jeff posted:

Everybody drops their bike at some point.
most people don't drop it on an electric fence in snow, though

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

Doctor Zero posted:

Reminds me of a great thing that happened to me last month.

I'm cruising around on a nice, sunny, day on a road that has little to no traffic on it. I've got the tunes going and all is good. I notice this car coming up behind me and I just maintain speed to she can blow by me.

The car pulls up next to me and stays there, keeping pace. I'm not really sure what the gently caress, so I just kind of ride along ignoring it. Finally after like 30 seconds I look over and this woman is looking right at me. She makes a thumb gesture backwards and I'm thinking maybe there's something wrong with my bike, but she's smiling. So I look back at her backseat, and there, sitting in a car seat is this little boy with a huge "Holy poo poo" look and his eyes all big staring at me.

I wave at him and he gets a gigantic grin, and waves back. The mom waves a thanks and they take off again.

It's awesome that I made the kid's day with just a simple wave. (and I'm also glad I wear all my gear and a full helmet. I hope he remembers that.)

Ha, that could've been me twenty years ago. I remember going to Hershey Park on vacation with my parents, and my brother and I see two sportbikes slowly driving next to us in traffic. My and my brother stare at these two guys and one of them sees us when traffic gets really slow. I wave, and he turns to his friend. The friend slows down a bit, and my parents slowly start passing them. Then there's all this noise, and each rider goes by in this huge wheelie, one at a time. They had just waited for traffic ahead to clear slightly so they could wheelie for us. :)

Orange Someone
Aug 20, 2007
Hmmm
I managed to drop it once wearing full kit, plugs in, luggage loaded, whilst trying to bump start it down the hill outside my house. Couldn't lift the drat thing with gloves and helmet and boots on, my MX boots really don't give enough bend at the ankles for that.

I also managed to drop it off the centre stand. About a week later I'd arrived at a house to help move them, stood it up on the centre stand on the driveway, turned around and walked off to the lorry to help undo the doors. I hear this groan, turn to watch my bike topple sideways at an agonisingly slow speed. I got a load of ribbing later for the speed at which I legged it towards the bike to get it back up again. Broke the brake lever off 2/3rds of the way down. Turns out the tarmac was old and it just gave way beneath the pressure of the stand.

It was a bitch bump starting it after some of the fuel had spilt from the carbs. Took me three runs. Finally goaded me into replacing the battery.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Yesterday after trail riding we decided to go into my big field and dick around with our small jump and just railing around. I hit it at the top of 3rd gear and approached it a bit funny both the suspension preload and my body position was off, and I landed front wheel down and did like a 10 meter endo before I could get my rear back down. It scared the poo poo out of me. teehee

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I had (what I think is) a great idea today. I got a Vesrah complete gasket kit for my CT90 motor, and scanned in all the gaskets. I was prompted to do this by a previous nightmare involving tearing a brand new gasket while attempting to use it.

I have bulk gasket material, so all I would have to do is print the gasket at the same DPI as I scanned it at, cut out the print, and use it as a stencil to cut a new gasket out of the bulk material.

Hopefully I wont need it, but if I do tear a gasket I wont have to wait another half week to get one shipped.

I scanned them all in at high-res, this is a low-res version of just a couple of them, but it gives you an idea of the convenience afforded by essentially taking a "gasket backup".

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Apr 19, 2009

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Wow, that is a fantastic idea. I need to scan some gaskets myself now...

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Excellent idea! If only the printer would take gasket material...

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Ola posted:

Excellent idea! If only the printer would take gasket material...

We have the technology...

Ran across this recently, thought it was a really cool contrast to MCs focusing on Harleys, Brit bikes, etc:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madras_Bulls

Madras Bulls of Tamil Nadu, for riders of Royal Enfield Bullet motorbikes. Basically, a pre-WWII design that they're still cranking out in India. They're awesome-looking bikes:

drat, but I wish the US still made/imported <500cc Standards.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Sounds like piracy to me. Scanners are killing the gasket industry :argh:

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
I exist onl because of Parias'
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.

Phat_Albert posted:

What the hell kind of gasket is the top right and bottom right one for?

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Sealing a bolt collection. :downsrim:

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Madras Bulls of Tamil Nadu, for riders of Royal Enfield Bullet motorbikes. Basically, a pre-WWII design that they're still cranking out in India. They're awesome-looking bikes:

drat, but I wish the US still made/imported <500cc Standards.

You can buy them in the US. There's a dealer not far from me.

http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Sloppy posted:

Sounds like piracy to me. Scanners are killing the gasket industry :argh:

You heard it here first, I just started gasket piracy. Who is the Metallica of the gasket world?

MrZig posted:

What the hell kind of gasket is the top right and bottom right one for?

Top right is what seals the oil pump to the crankcase. The three large holes allow oil to get to the top end and each of the crank bearings. Three of the five smaller holes route oil to the various pieces of the transmission. The other two are for bolts.

The bottom right is a gasket that goes between the head and a large metal piece that serves two purposes. One is to hold the rocker tubes in the head, and the other is to distribute oil through passages that are drilled in it. The three small holes in a triangle are where the bolts go. The remaining small hole allows oil in, and the three remaining large holes route oil to the cam, and the two rockers.

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Apr 20, 2009

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?

Phat_Albert posted:

That is an amazing idea! Why have I been hunting for odd/rare gaskets all these years? I'm definitely gonna give this a try!

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008

Z3n posted:

Wow, that is a fantastic idea. I need to scan some gaskets myself now...

A common mistake is that people use the glossy photo inkjet gasket material in a laser printer or color copier, that always ends in tears. Not only does it damage the printer but the gaskets always leak.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Maybe it would be good to scan a ruler or something along with the gaskets. Dealing with HP stuff I'm never sure what the stupid setting it has decided I need changed, this way you could measure the print afterwards and be sure.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

As long as you know the DPI that it was scanned in with, all you have to do is set the printer at the same DPI, and you'll be good.

I've yet to come across a printer that doesnt list the DPI in the advanced/device settings tab.

Or if all else fails, print the gasket, cut it out, and see if it fits your part.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

You need one of these for cutting them out http://www.cutting-mats.net/hobby-knives-2227.html
Much better for cutting circles than a xacto and patience.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Gnomad posted:

A common mistake is that people use the glossy photo inkjet gasket material in a laser printer or color copier, that always ends in tears. Not only does it damage the printer but the gaskets always leak.

:science: You need to use two glossys back to back

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
I think I hang out at the local Duc dealership too much. It makes me feel guilty for not owning one :(

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Uthor posted:

You can buy them in the US. There's a dealer not far from me.

http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/
Holy poo poo, I love Enfields, I didn't know they were still manufactured. I'd buy a Bullet 500 in a second if I had the money to spare at the moment. Any word on Norton? Last time I checked they were making the Commando 961, but I don't know if it every officially went into production.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

lancemantis posted:

I think I hang out at the local Duc dealership too much. It makes me feel guilty for not owning one :(

I'm not looking forward to going back there later this year, if the numskull I talked to was representative of their hiring practices

That is unless I can talk to the mechanics instead of a chucklefuck who's only ever owned a shop-maintained 749 and doesn't like to read