Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

I had a two page argument with a guy on walking basslines where he simply did not believe that you could walk a Dm7 to G7 using D - D# - E - F. Finally John Goldsby posted, saying that weird things can still make a walking bassline work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Hamidon posted:

I had a two page argument with a guy on walking basslines where he simply did not believe that you could walk a Dm7 to G7 using D - D# - E - F. Finally John Goldsby posted, saying that weird things can still make a walking bassline work.

Haha yeah technically you can walk anywhere chromatically too... doesn't mean it'll always sound right, but you can.

The funniest thing I think ever saw on there was a thread saying "Paul McCartney is underrated!"

Really? I'm pretty sure he gets plenty of props.

Indi86
Mar 6, 2007
The Jive Sucker
Yeah talkbass has definitely slipped. It used to be all about the best gear and the best bassists and now it's a bunch of feel-good crap about how your bass is "good enough" and how every bass has its day and poo poo. That, and people don't openly hate on Ampeg anymore.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

The Jeff Berlin threads were really interesting. I'm not sure I agree with Jeff on some things (most things, even) but it was a refreshing diversion from 'name your favourite bassists, part IIIV'.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Indi86 posted:

Yeah talkbass has definitely slipped. It used to be all about the best gear and the best bassists and now it's a bunch of feel-good crap about how your bass is "good enough" and how every bass has its day and poo poo. That, and people don't openly hate on Ampeg anymore.

They don't let anyone openly hate on anything. I <3 ampeg tho :allears:

Hamidon posted:

The Jeff Berlin threads were really interesting. I'm not sure I agree with Jeff on some things (most things, even) but it was a refreshing diversion from 'name your favourite bassists, part IIIV'.

Cliff notes? I didn't feel like reading it.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Oh, not really relevant but I got to shake hands w/ my idol, George Porter Jr. last night :)

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Scarf posted:

Cliff notes? I didn't feel like reading it.

One time, Jeff Berlin posted a thread saying that he had heard that people there had problems with some things he had said and if he could help straighten out any misconceptions. It instead turned into a big Q & A session where people could pick Jeff Berlin's brain for an hour or two. He posts a new thread every couple of weeks, I think. If you go to the Bassists forum, you can see a stickied thread called "Hi from Jeff Berlin" and from there search for all his posts.

Scarf posted:

Oh, not really relevant but I got to shake hands w/ my idol, George Porter Jr. last night :)

Wow! Did you instantly become funkier?

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Hamidon posted:

Wow! Did you instantly become funkier?

You know, I like to think I'm pretty good. I can usually hold my own in most situations and get some asses moving in the audience. But holy poo poo, he definitely put me in my place.

Every note he played was perfect, both in placement, duration, etc. And he played a lot of notes, but again, it was perfect. The voicing, the phrasing, everything. I hate to sound like a complete fanboy but honestly, I've yet to pick my jaw up off the floor.

Also, he was playing a Lakland Bob Glaub signature P-bass :hehe: Apparently on dates that are not within driving distance of NOLA, he takes the Lakland instead of risking his Fender on the plane.

edit: And yeah, I'd seen the thread, but not really being a Berlin fan, I just didn't read it :)

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Oh and my personal favorite threads:

"Hi, I've only been playing a year, here is my review of several different basses ranging in price from $200 to $2000 and I have no idea bout what objective measures by which to judge a bass. Buy the Squier it sounded way better than the Fender!"

Gaza
Jul 16, 2008

Scarf posted:

Oh and my personal favorite threads:

"Hi, I've only been playing a year, here is my review of several different basses ranging in price from $200 to $2000 and I have no idea bout what objective measures by which to judge a bass. Buy the Squier it sounded way better than the Fender!"

They get off on saying their SUPER CHEAP SX BASS kills their 'friends' p. bass or jazz.

EDIT: Back to bass talk, who here thinks a 36 inch scale bass is too much? I am thinking of building a sixer for F# and I want it to sound reall good.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Demolisher posted:

They get off on saying their SUPER CHEAP SX BASS kills their 'friends' p. bass or jazz.

EDIT: Back to bass talk, who here thinks a 36 inch scale bass is too much? I am thinking of building a sixer for F# and I want it to sound reall good.

I think Phil Lesh plays with a 36" now.

Well actually, I'm not sure if that's a 36" scale or not. the bridge doesn't appear to be too much farther away from the nut. Who knows tho... go for it. I'd imagine it'd give very piano-like tones.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
I'm gonna go ahead and toss a TalkBass topic right here:

My campus's music club basically has some incoming funding and we'd like to invest in a bass + amp so bassists don't have to carry all our stuff whenever we want to jam. I have a budget of around $1000-1200 CAD.

So based on the discussion here and a friend's input, I've basically isolated a few bass choices:

MIM Fender J-bass
Ibanez SR700
Warwick RockBass

Amp-wise:

SWR Workingman 15 (local store is clearing one for $480 CAD)
Ampeg BA115
Acoustic B200

I'm leaning towards those choices, in that order of preference. I did a bit of research but since I'm still a bass newbie I'd like to double check to see if these are good, relatively versatile choices.

Gaza
Jul 16, 2008

Scarf posted:

I think Phil Lesh plays with a 36" now.

Well actually, I'm not sure if that's a 36" scale or not. the bridge doesn't appear to be too much farther away from the nut. Who knows tho... go for it. I'd imagine it'd give very piano-like tones.

Thats what i'm going for. I'm probably going to go for a delano or something for the pick-up.

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen

Jan posted:

MIM Fender J-bass
Ibanez SR700
Warwick RockBass

Amp-wise:

SWR Workingman 15 (local store is clearing one for $480 CAD)
Ampeg BA115
Acoustic B200
The first and second choices will give you a good versatile sound. The rockbass will have the warwick sound. It is nice, but the build quality in comparison to hte others is lacking for the dollars you are spending. I had one for a while, a five string rockbass. Very pretty, solid, but I would not gig with it.

pantsfish
May 21, 2003
dicks
I'm just now getting to a point where I'm concerned with finding the right tone for the song I'm playing along with being accurate and in harmony. I set my mid frequency to 250 Hz but am still having trouble achieving that Lakland growl I hear on the site and in videos, etc. If I turn the mids up it sounds too twangy but if I cut them and boost the bass a little it sounds a little too sludgy. I'm looking for something like the neck pickup hard rock sample with flats if I can dial it in.

It sounds like a pick really helps bring it out so I am sure that's a big part of the problem. I can time alright with one but can't control it enough yet to hit it at a consistent strength. Is there anything else I should be doing to help me along in achieveing that tone?

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

pantsfish posted:

I'm just now getting to a point where I'm concerned with finding the right tone for the song I'm playing along with being accurate and in harmony. I set my mid frequency to 250 Hz but am still having trouble achieving that Lakland growl I hear on the site and in videos, etc. If I turn the mids up it sounds too twangy but if I cut them and boost the bass a little it sounds a little too sludgy. I'm looking for something like the neck pickup hard rock sample with flats if I can dial it in.

It sounds like a pick really helps bring it out so I am sure that's a big part of the problem. I can time alright with one but can't control it enough yet to hit it at a consistent strength. Is there anything else I should be doing to help me along in achieveing that tone?

It's going to have a lot to do with your amp as well. On that Lakland vid, the guy is using an Ampeg SVT. So that's giving a lot of growl.

Indi86
Mar 6, 2007
The Jive Sucker

Jan posted:

I'm gonna go ahead and toss a TalkBass topic right here:

My campus's music club basically has some incoming funding and we'd like to invest in a bass + amp so bassists don't have to carry all our stuff whenever we want to jam. I have a budget of around $1000-1200 CAD.

That reminds me of what SUNY Buffalo's Jam Club did when we first started. The club was designed for basically the same purpose as yours, to get musicians together to play, but with the added caveat of trying to assemble bands and play out, along with getting gigs for the bands. JAM Club managed to get the manager of the local Guitar Center to agree to give them dealer pricing on gear in return for hanging a GC banner at every show and putting a logo on all the fliers. It saved the club a big chunk of change, and allowed the club to get much closer to providing all the equipment it needed to both run jam sessions and shows.

SexyGoofTroopGrl
Jun 22, 2004

by Fistgrrl
I'm looking for a pedal/effect that will make my bass sound, well, punchy? I don't really know how else to describe it, maybe bouncy is a better description. Something that twangs a bit when it gets up high, like Duran Duran or No Doubt.

Gaza
Jul 16, 2008

UkraineGirls posted:

I'm looking for a pedal/effect that will make my bass sound, well, punchy? I don't really know how else to describe it, maybe bouncy is a better description. Something that twangs a bit when it gets up high, like Duran Duran or No Doubt.

I would start with a tech 21 SansAmp if you don't have it.

lazy old sun
Feb 12, 2007

I just discovered this sub-forum, and lo and behold, the perfect thread is right on the front page.

I think I am going to pick up an acoustic bass when my tax return comes in and I would love some input from you guys.

On the many recommendations in this thread, I checked out Rondo Music, and saw that they carry a pretty nice looking acoustic bass . . .

http://www.rondomusic.com/product1818.html

Apparently, it is their Agile brand, which is supposed to be on the nicer end of their scale, and its a pretty decent price. The main concern I have is that they list it as having a 32.5" scale. I may be misunderstanding the specifications, but I thought a standard bass scale was 34". I definitely don't need a shorter scale, but I don't know if having one would be enough of a drawback to disqualify this bass. All things considered, I'd probably incline toward a standard scale unless you guys think it doesn't make an appreciable difference.

The other one I was looking at was this Michael Kelly

http://www.michaelkellyguitars.com/firefly.html

It sure looks nice, and is also is a decent price (it looks like it usually goes for around $320). I hadn't heard of Michael Kelly before, and after looking them up it appears to be a fairly new company. Unfortunately there aren't a lot of reviews for their basses out there (aside from the ones on MusiciansFriend or the Michael Kelly website) and I was wondering if anyone had any experience with them that they could pass on.

Finally I was wondering if anyone knew of an acoustic bass that I might have missed. I think the price range I'm trying to stay in is 200-350, but in the past I've been convinced to go to the "next model up," and I've usually been happy that I did so, so if someone can make a case for a nicer instrument, I'd love to hear it.

Doomy
Oct 19, 2004

Word of caution about acoustic basses, they're awfully quiet. Like quiet enough you'd have a hard time being heard with one acoustic guitar, let alone two or more. I highly recommend you look around for a local store to try one out.

lazy old sun
Feb 12, 2007

Doomy posted:

Word of caution about acoustic basses, they're awfully quiet. Like quiet enough you'd have a hard time being heard with one acoustic guitar, let alone two or more. I highly recommend you look around for a local store to try one out.

Yeah, thats what I hear. Most of the time quiet should actually work out pretty well for me though, as I live in a pretty quiet condo building. I'll probably only be playing folksy country kind of stuff with my girlfriend, so I don't need it to be super loud in any event. Its something I'll keep in mind though.

Gaza
Jul 16, 2008

elevator music posted:

Yeah, thats what I hear. Most of the time quiet should actually work out pretty well for me though, as I live in a pretty quiet condo building. I'll probably only be playing folksy country kind of stuff with my girlfriend, so I don't need it to be super loud in any event. Its something I'll keep in mind though.

Strings make a surprisingly huge difference in projection and tone. My band mate just restrung after 5 months~ and it sounds alot better. Just my two.

Plastic Snake
Mar 2, 2005
For Halloween or scaring people.

Demolisher posted:

Strings make a surprisingly huge difference in projection and tone. My band mate just restrung after 5 months~ and it sounds alot better. Just my two.

Most definitely. Brighter strings will naturally be louder - especially on an acoustic - because they have louder harmonics in higher frequency ranges.

lazy old sun
Feb 12, 2007

Demolisher posted:

Plastic Snake posted:

Thanks for the replies. I feel like I've read somewhere else that strings make a big difference, so I guess this confirms that. I think the one I'm leaning toward at this point is the Michael Kelly, which comes with D’Addario strings. From what I've heard they is a pretty reputable make, but I don't know that much about bass strings to begin with, much less acoustic ones. Are there any brands or models that I should look out for that are especially bright? In any event, I'll keep the ones that come on it and at least give them a try.

Doomy
Oct 19, 2004

As far as electric bass goes, stainless steel will be the brightest, and nickel less bright. I think there's also bronze strings for acoustic, but I don't know how those would compare.

In my limited experience, I found DR highbeams to be really bright with a good low end on my p-bass.

Twain of Pain
Dec 14, 2006
So I am looking into playing bass, and have pretty much narrowed down my selection to either an Ibanez GSR200 or an Ibanez Gio GSR200FM (which I can get cheaper used). So my question is: What's the difference?

Schatten
Jul 7, 2002

Das ist nicht meine
schnellen Rennwagen
FM means flamed maple.

Unsure on the Gio part.
http://www.ibanez.com/BassGuitars/Series-gsr

Schatten fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Apr 20, 2009

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Twain of Pain posted:

So I am looking into playing bass, and have pretty much narrowed down my selection to either an Ibanez GSR200 or an Ibanez Gio GSR200FM (which I can get cheaper used). So my question is: What's the difference?

Go with the Gio if you can find it. The Gio has a mahogany body where the regular GSR200 is made of Agathis. It also has active electronics (which is a plus for some people, a negative for others). You probably won't use it much to begin with, but it'll give you some more tonal versatility farther down the line.

edit: Nevermind on the last part, apparently the GSR200 has active electronics as well. Regardless, I'd still go with the Gio.

PenguinBob
Oct 12, 2000

Scarf posted:

Go with the Gio if you can find it. The Gio has a mahogany body where the regular GSR200 is made of Agathis. It also has active electronics (which is a plus for some people, a negative for others). You probably won't use it much to begin with, but it'll give you some more tonal versatility farther down the line.

edit: Nevermind on the last part, apparently the GSR200 has active electronics as well. Regardless, I'd still go with the Gio.

really pretty much any Ibanez, aside from the short-lived and completely awesome RKB, will have active electronics.

on that topic, goddamn I want an RKB

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

PenguinBob posted:

really pretty much any Ibanez, aside from the short-lived and completely awesome RKB, will have active electronics.

on that topic, goddamn I want an RKB

I could have sworn my old GSR200 was passive. But that was years and years ago.

SexyGoofTroopGrl
Jun 22, 2004

by Fistgrrl
My accuracy and speed has gotten to the point where I'm starting to dive into a lot of songs, and I'm wondering what exactly is the best way to 'learn' a song. My ear isn't good enough to figure much out on my own, but using guitarpro is my new obsession. Does it make more sense to take every section separately and slow, or to make sense of them together? I'm just overwhelmed on how to remember anything!

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future

Schatten posted:

Be patient on the fretless craigslist postings. They don't come up often, but when they do, they are cheaper than the regular MIM Jazz's. I've bought and sold a few over the years. The last one was an all black MIM Fretless Jazz. Played very well. Lined, which is essential for a beginning fretless player.

But if you are looking to upgrade to one main bass, just go with a MIM Jazz. That's the best pick, and most versatile bass on your list.

Thanks. I ended up going with the MIM Fender Fretless Jazz. It's in great shape and I picked it up for 400 CAD. It's made me realize how sloppy my technique is but now that I have a bass I'm in love with I'm going to be practicing all the time.

Anyone have any tips for mapping the fretboard notes? Right now I'm playing the major scale of each string and naming the notes outloud to associate the name with the tone.
I have a few years of piano so I've had time to train my ear a little before. This is going to be fun.
E:When I picked up the guitar the previous owner plugged it in and played Get On The Floor by MJ and I immediately said "I'll take it".

Pegnose Pete fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Apr 21, 2009

dissin department
Apr 7, 2007

"I has music dysleskia."

UkraineGirls posted:

My accuracy and speed has gotten to the point where I'm starting to dive into a lot of songs, and I'm wondering what exactly is the best way to 'learn' a song. My ear isn't good enough to figure much out on my own, but using guitarpro is my new obsession. Does it make more sense to take every section separately and slow, or to make sense of them together? I'm just overwhelmed on how to remember anything!
Most of the time, *you* don't remember anything. Your muscles do, after being drilled enough times. For example; if someone asked me how to play a song I knew really well, I'd be a little slower on coming up with the frets/notes it is played on.

Really, either approach to learning a song is fine. I usually learn the defining section first (like a main riff or what have you) and then work on transitions and stuff.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!

Scarf posted:

I could have sworn my old GSR200 was passive. But that was years and years ago.

My first bass was a gsr200 and it was definitely passive. This was about 8 years ago. Also the RKBs do rule, although I'm not really too sad I sold mine since my G&L p bass kicks the poo poo out of it.

Plastic Snake
Mar 2, 2005
For Halloween or scaring people.
So glad to see the bass thread pick up in activity recently, it's great to have a bass resource that isn't TalkBass sometimes haha. Regardless, I found this post on TB that has links to a bunch of really great informative threads that's definitely worth a look through.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showpost.php?p=6782137&postcount=3

Hope this helps somebody!

Dr. John
Dec 4, 2007
WORLD'S SHITTIEST SECRET SANTA

Pegnose Pete posted:

Anyone have any tips for mapping the fretboard notes?

I'd suggest getting a poster with the fretboard laid out and put it somewhere where you will see it, that helped me out. I got one for free online somewhere, it says "Workshop Live" on it so I guess you'd find it there.

Another thing I did was memorize a few tricks. You know that the 5th fret is the next string, so the fifth frets read across ADGC. The seventh frets are one octave up of the previous string and read BEAD across (easy enough to memorize) and the open strings of course read EADG. Know that up two strings and two frets is an octave, conversely down two strings and two frets is down an octave. Down seven frets is where the note will be on one string lower. Combining the open/fifth/seventh frets with those techniques I was able to place all of the notes on the fretboard by working backwards. With time you'll get it down and know where the notes are. Might seem kind of confusing, but it worked for me.

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future

Dr. John posted:

I'd suggest getting a poster with the fretboard laid out and put it somewhere where you will see it, that helped me out. I got one for free online somewhere, it says "Workshop Live" on it so I guess you'd find it there.

Another thing I did was memorize a few tricks. You know that the 5th fret is the next string, so the fifth frets read across ADGC. The seventh frets are one octave up of the previous string and read BEAD across (easy enough to memorize) and the open strings of course read EADG. Know that up two strings and two frets is an octave, conversely down two strings and two frets is down an octave. Down seven frets is where the note will be on one string lower. Combining the open/fifth/seventh frets with those techniques I was able to place all of the notes on the fretboard by working backwards. With time you'll get it down and know where the notes are. Might seem kind of confusing, but it worked for me.
Thanks for the help. I was starting to hear those patterns already but you've suggested a good way to remember them. Now to come up with a saying to remember them by like "Battle Ends And Down Goes Charles Father" for the order of flats.

Bob Shabazz
Oct 21, 2008

At 12:17 a.m. MU police spotted Mauk, 19, run a stop sign while driving his scooter east on Kentucky Boulevard - with two female passengers on board.
So I'm looking toward getting my third bass right now. I currently have an Ibanez GSR200 and an Ocean TB75. The bass that really jumped out at me is the Ibanez JTKB200. I've heard some of it and it sounds very similar to my friend's Thunderbird IV with a bit warmer tone. Can anyone tell me anything about it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Bob Shabazz posted:

So I'm looking toward getting my third bass right now. I currently have an Ibanez GSR200 and an Ocean TB75. The bass that really jumped out at me is the Ibanez JTKB200. I've heard some of it and it sounds very similar to my friend's Thunderbird IV with a bit warmer tone. Can anyone tell me anything about it?

That's the Jet King right? I played one in Guitar Center and nearly walked out the door with it. It could have just been the setup they did on it, but it just played effortlessly for me. The neck felt really good, nice and smooth, satin finish on the back.

Having owned an old Epi T-bird, I can agree that the tone is somewhat T-birdish, but not quite as much balls to it. Granted you can get some great rock tones out of the Jet King, but I think it's a little more versatile in that you can get a slightly cleaner sound out of it as well.

I'd say pull the trigger, I'm still tempted to get one... if only I didn't have like 5 other basses I want ahead of it.