Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Hazed_blue posted:

For serious. Breakaways take a lot of energy, especially when goober players wanna practice their quadruple dekes that they've been saving up just for you.

The seasons here are starting to get into full swing, and I couldn't be happier. Playing on two teams for the summer, and I can already feel that I'm going to get in better shape because of it; I see a lot of rubber on both, but wouldn't have it any other way.

It also seems that my two weeks of vacation were exactly what I needed. Lost the game this Tuesday, but stood on my head to keep us in it. Then yesterday, we scored a victory against the top contender in the league. In those 2 games, I've had 117 shots total blasted at me, and somehow came out of the flurry with a 91% save percentage.

Thinking that I'm made of steel and not muscle and bone, I played a THIRD game in as many days this morning, and now I am super, super tired and sore. But drat, what a ride. Few days rest and then I'll do it all over again.

I hate breakaway drills. It just turns into a game of seeing whether or not the goalie can outwait the shooter. If there were some sort of backcheck, then at least it would seem somewhat realistic and prevent the shooter from deking around for 30 seconds before they finally decide to take a shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
breakdancin the night away
while i sympathize the lack of backchecking, i don't get the annoyance at breakaways

it's part of the game, deal with it

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Tim Thomas posted:

while i sympathize the lack of backchecking, i don't get the annoyance at breakaways

I don't care about breakaways in game, but more during warmups or working on drills where you have guys taking their sweet time on breakaways. It's just mentally taxing and if you try to match their movements it can be tiring. It is certainly part of the game, but when practicing breakaways, I'd rather have guys do them at gamespeed or have someone backchecking.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amNzSBG7IqA

I'm going to practice this for the shootout.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

He doesn't really stop the puck, but he scares the hell out of the other team.
I just ordered the GP9.8s. I don't love the visual design, but at least one of the two sets goaliemonkey had in my size match my sort-of-matching other stuff (black with a blue catcher... I got black/white/silver pads). I also wish they had a preview image for that color set, but it can't be too wacky.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Tim Thomas posted:

:lol: No, minutes upon minutes of literally breakaway after breakaway after breakaway isn't part of the game :q:

ManicJason posted:

I just ordered the GP9.8s.

loving hot. I think you went the right direction!

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
breakdancin the night away

Martytoof posted:

:lol: No, minutes upon minutes of literally breakaway after breakaway after breakaway isn't part of the game :q:

Neither is working recoveries on one leg all the time.

Pickup hockey is for working skills; breakaway reads are one of them.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Crossposting - check the Ice/Roller Hockey getting in shape thread for more info about the Texas high school ice hockey tournament.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
Lesson of the day: Eating spaghetti before playing hockey, good idea. Eating a lot of spaghetti before playing hockey, not so smart.

Edit: On a side note, I faced some really hard shooters tonight, which gave my gloves' their best test yet. I took a really hard shot off the middle and ring finger area of my trapper and while I was definitely felt the puck hit me, there weren't any lasting effects from the shot. I also took a couple of really hard shots off of my blocker and it performed perfectly. Though getting back to the trapper I notice that I'm still taking way too many shots off of my fingers and not in the pocket of the glove, so the next time I get out on the ice with my friends, I'll need to work on high glove side shots and force myself to watch the puck go into the glove instead of relying on my peripheral vision.

Aniki fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Apr 17, 2009

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
Took a puck to the chin last night. We were on a water break, and I was off to the side with my mask up sipping my water bottle while some guys were plinking shots onto the net. One went cross court and loving railed me in the chin.. vision went white briefly as I made sure my jaw wasn't broke. I'm alright now cept my entire jaw and some teeth hurt like hell, plus a nice gash on my chin. It did help me play better though, as I was playing like poo poo before hand.. that hit kinda woke me up and I played amazing for the next hour. It also makes me feel good because I had some crazy save on the kid who hit me with the puck, totally robbed him.

Lesson learned: If you are on the ice/court always pay attention.. and keep your mask down. Uhgggg...

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!

Polish posted:

Took a puck to the chin last night. We were on a water break, and I was off to the side with my mask up sipping my water bottle while some guys were plinking shots onto the net. One went cross court and loving railed me in the chin.. vision went white briefly as I made sure my jaw wasn't broke. I'm alright now cept my entire jaw and some teeth hurt like hell, plus a nice gash on my chin. It did help me play better though, as I was playing like poo poo before hand.. that hit kinda woke me up and I played amazing for the next hour. It also makes me feel good because I had some crazy save on the kid who hit me with the puck, totally robbed him.

Lesson learned: If you are on the ice/court always pay attention.. and keep your mask down. Uhgggg...

This is grounds for a goalie fighting, seriously there's no reason you should get hit with a puck under those circumstances. If you want to get a quick harsh wakeup use smelling salts, its much more safe than taking rouge pucks to the jaw.

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
Ahh it was just a pick-up game.. and the kid is cool.. real quiet guy. You can tell he felt bad in a drop in performance in his game. It hurt, yeah, but no reason to kick someones rear end over.

At least nothing broke.. eating a bagel was tough this morning though.

Joey Walnuts
Dec 6, 2004

Clean up, aisle 3.
Annnnnnd Bronchitis. Doc says not to play for at least 2 weeks. I had signed up for a tournament this weekend so that's 5 games right there that I'm missing just in the next three days. Blimey.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Joey Walnuts posted:

Annnnnnd Bronchitis. Doc says not to play for at least 2 weeks. I had signed up for a tournament this weekend so that's 5 games right there that I'm missing just in the next three days. Blimey.

Playing hockey with an upper respiratory infection sucks, but on the plus side hockey is one of nature's best expectorants.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Aniki posted:

Playing hockey with an upper respiratory infection sucks, but on the plus side hockey is one of nature's best expectorants.

Hell, I'm coughing poo poo up and I'm not even sick.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!
Full season pad replacement almost complete.

I picked up some Vaughn Epic 8800's last night before hockey and they're great. They're a tad lighter than my R8 Prospecs, they breath better, and they cover a bit more area without being annoying or overly bulky. I tried on some Browns, RBK Prospec, and some One95's and these seemed like the perfect balance.

Space Cadet
Jun 1, 2000

Destruction, hence, like creation, is one of Nature's mandates.
How do you guys get over being dropped from a team? I was all prepped to play this season with a D-level ball hockey team this summer and was promptly dropped after an incredibly bad practice on all our parts, but I openly admit I sucked it up. I wont lie, I feel bummed out and am questioning if I should bother continuing at all outside of shinny.

I have already decided that this summer I am not going to be playing any form of hockey and instead putting my efforts into general training, cycling, running and yoga for better endurance and flexability. I may do some minor weight lifting but this summer is all about building endurance, trimming down and getting flexible again. Is there something in particular that any of you guys do get over being dropped from a team? I know my friends and wife will tell me to go and play with another team but really I think I need a break from hockey for the summer. I am not totally butt hurt but it stings a little bit to be told you are not good enough. For the first time in my life I am actually considering taking some lessons to see if there are any major areas to work on other than being old and stiff.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Space Cadet posted:

How do you guys get over being dropped from a team? I was all prepped to play this season with a D-level ball hockey team this summer and was promptly dropped after an incredibly bad practice on all our parts, but I openly admit I sucked it up. I wont lie, I feel bummed out and am questioning if I should bother continuing at all outside of shinny.

I have already decided that this summer I am not going to be playing any form of hockey and instead putting my efforts into general training, cycling, running and yoga for better endurance and flexability. I may do some minor weight lifting but this summer is all about building endurance, trimming down and getting flexible again. Is there something in particular that any of you guys do get over being dropped from a team? I know my friends and wife will tell me to go and play with another team but really I think I need a break from hockey for the summer. I am not totally butt hurt but it stings a little bit to be told you are not good enough. For the first time in my life I am actually considering taking some lessons to see if there are any major areas to work on other than being old and stiff.

I've had that happen before. In my case a played a season of inline with a team and honestly, I played ok but not great. Then when the next season was getting ready to start, their old goalie wanted to play. He was already on the team as a defensemen and was playing goalie in two other leagues at the time, so he was legitimately better than me, but it irked me. So I joined another team in our league, they were the worst team in the league, but they seemed to play defense, so I figured that I could make it work. Well their top two players decided to move up to B league and things fell apart from there. I did what I could, but I wasn't good enough to carry them and none of them really provided any offense, which compounded the problem.

Since then, I switched to ice and I have been going to open hockey and practicing with a B-team. I've played well in some game like scenarios, but I have been apprehensive about joining a league ever since. At this point, I have been upgrading my equipment and I want to take some lessons over the summer, so hopefully I will bite the bullet and join a league in the fall. I am sure I could play in a league now, but I just want to get my game to a point where I am happy with it, so I can come into a league and be very competitive from the start.

Aniki fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Apr 20, 2009

Space Cadet
Jun 1, 2000

Destruction, hence, like creation, is one of Nature's mandates.
I have talked it out with my wife and while she initially took the route of vengeance by playing for a different team in the same league and division I decided to opt out. However as one door closes, another window opens and after playing sponge and ball hockey this winter. I find out there is an extremely close ice league starting up in July that caters to all skill levels and the guys who organize it apparently watch almost all the games to make sure that the players are evenly matched and have no qualms adjusting teams and players so that the games are evenly matched. For a small sum of money I get 16 games for certain and then possibly playoffs to hone my skills once or twice a week over the summer. I may actually have some fun while I can spend the games working on fundamentals on ice, which is ideally where I prefer to play. This sponge hockey with broomball shoes or sponge on concrete with sneakers is not nearly as fun. I will swallow my pride, go play in a happy fun time league with minimal "teams", apparently this league is for people wanting to learn, have fun, or work on fundamentals. I happen to want all 3. This also puts me on schedule to buy new equipment around my birthday :D, also as a goalie which may be in short supply for this league I may end up getting a fair bit of extra ice time for free.

Any further tips on getting over being dumped would still be appreciated, honestly hockey can be like a fickle woman sometimes.

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night

Space Cadet posted:

Any further tips on getting over being dumped would still be appreciated, honestly hockey can be like a fickle woman sometimes.

I kinda just sucked it up.. I was a bit angry when I got dumped, and even more-so when the new goalie got a shut-out in the first game with my old team. I just worked on my game after that. I am on a new team now, and am going to be playing my old team. I am hoping we have some type of epic Mighty Ducks win when we play my old team later in the season... probably won't happen though.

Played ice Friday night, and roller Sunday. If I would have to guess I would say my SV% was somewhere around 10%. I was doing absolutely abysmal. I was so sore, tired, and I don't know what else.. it was so frustrating. At least they were both practices.. uhgg.

Any tips for my five-hole? I would say 9/10 if you shoot for my five-hole, it goes in. I know I gotta work on my paddle down, but I just can't keep my legs closed. Ah man I'm so frustrated.. gotta start doing daily stretches and exercises.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Do you mean your fivehole when you're in your stance, or when you're already down?

If you're talking about your fivehole when you're already on the ice in your bfly then I'd say the best you can do is remember to keep your legs together. That sounds stupid and obvious but I was surprised at how often I got scored on, looked down, and there would just be this tiny tiny gap because I got lazy trying to take away either side of the post. Now when I go down I try to remember to tell myself "knees together, stick in front". I still forget sometimes but since I started prompting myself I've gotten a lot better at stopping the retarded fivehole drifters.

If you mean fivehole when you're still in your stance, ugh -- I got nothin' for ya, because my game there is loving dirty. Maybe learning to drive down sooner or something but whatever, most of the time if a player is good enough to shoot right at my fivehole and above my stick (since I do keep it in position most of the time) then he's fast enough to do it before I have a chance to react. Talk about feeling dumb.

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
Standing.. butterfly.. doesn't matter. My five hole sucks. God damnit, I'm sore, tired, and just got my rear end handed to me.. but I really really wanna play right now.

Im addicted.

crashlanding
Dec 11, 2006

Leading the offense for a fraction of the cost
I'm not a goalie, but as a shooter the only time I try to go five hole (I really suck at it) is when the goalie has some piss poor stick discipline and he isn't covering it or when he comes out and cuts down the angle and my only prayer is to sneak one through him. If your stick is in a good position when you're standing it becomes much tougher to score five hole, also get in your stance and ask a teammate what they see that's open, you could just be standing with your pads really far apart making the five hole look somewhat large. Then again, I'm not a goalie so my advice probably isn't that helpful. :shobon:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

crashlanding posted:

get in your stance and ask a teammate what they see that's open, you could just be standing with your pads really far apart making the five hole look somewhat large. Then again, I'm not a goalie so my advice probably isn't that helpful. :shobon:

No, your advice is awesome. It's probably the first thing goalies should think to do. Honestly, you've got someone who can tell you exactly what your weak spots are, why not use them?

I love when guys tell me what they saw after they score. I mean, I don't love it when they start giving me advice like you should stay up or get down or whatever when they have no idea what they're talking about, but if they score and afterwards I'll ask them what they saw and sometimes it's a complete world apart from what I thought I was showing.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Apr 20, 2009

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Most forwards and defensemen are complete morons when it comes to goaltending, so tread lightly.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

T-Bone posted:

Most forwards and defensemen are complete morons when it comes to goaltending, so tread lightly.

Yeah, but I'm not saying to take goaltending advice from them, just to ask them what you're showing. I had a defenceman who swore up and down he used to be a goalie tell me I should be in the butterfly on the goal line all the time because its the highest percentage save :rolleyes:

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!
Forwards that play with you often start to pick you apart. There's certain faults in your game they know to expose so those are the players you should listen to or pay attention to when they start shooting.

Anki when are your ZeroG's coming in? I called and was informed I wouldnt be getting mine till the 28th.....of may :psyduck:

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

titanium posted:

Forwards that play with you often start to pick you apart. There's certain faults in your game they know to expose so those are the players you should listen to or pay attention to when they start shooting.

Anki when are your ZeroG's coming in? I called and was informed I wouldnt be getting mine till the 28th.....of may :psyduck:

That's a good question. I just left a message with the Brian's rep, so hopefully I'll have an answer later today. I ordered the pads on April 5th, so I would assume around the middle of May, but I'd like to have a definitive date.

Also, I posted a review of my Brian's Zero G blocker and trapper over at GSBB if anyone is interested. My username over there is Thiazi and I'll post some more pictures of the gloves tonight now that each glove has a couple of hours of ice time.

As for getting advice from players, it is something to tread with caution. Generally they will have a good idea of what holes you are leaving open or if you are doing some sort of move that just isn't working, but ignore them after that, since it is very unlikely that they'll have any useful advice on how to correct the problem. It can get a little more complex with dealing with defensemen, especially the defensemen that want to be goalies. They'll know just enough that what they are saying sounds plausible, but a lot of times their knowledge of the position isn't much better than forwards.

Though the best way to find flaws in your game is to have some take pictures or video of you on the ice. The camera doesn't lie and while you are likely aware if you are bending with your back and not your knees, you really don't understand the full extent of the problem until you see what you look like in net.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Aniki posted:

Though the best way to find flaws in your game is to have some take pictures or video of you on the ice.

This isn't recommended if you are predisposed to fits of depression, just sayin (from experience) :v:

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!
Any goalie school I've been to does video cause you can see exactly what you're doing wrong. I want to go to some camera shop and get some suction cup setup for the glass behind the net. I just need to make sure I trust the rink I'm in.

crashlanding
Dec 11, 2006

Leading the offense for a fraction of the cost

titanium posted:

Any goalie school I've been to does video cause you can see exactly what you're doing wrong. I want to go to some camera shop and get some suction cup setup for the glass behind the net. I just need to make sure I trust the rink I'm in.
That's probably a bad idea with guys occasionally hitting the boards you could lose your camera. A decent tripod would be much more reliable.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!

crashlanding posted:

That's probably a bad idea with guys occasionally hitting the boards you could lose your camera. A decent tripod would be much more reliable.

It'd be behind the glass so it wouldn't get hit.

http://www.zdistrict.com/2008/06/05/camera-suction-mount/

Something that looks like this facing in.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I think he means the force of the hit would separate the suction cup from the glass . I'd be inclined to agree tbh. Maybe not the first hit but I'm willing to bet the impacts would eventually break the suction.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!

Martytoof posted:

I think he means the force of the hit would separate the suction cup from the glass . I'd be inclined to agree tbh. Maybe not the first hit but I'm willing to bet the impacts would eventually break the suction.

I guess we'll find out, the digital cam I have is only $200 and its light. Those heavy latching suction cups can withstand my entire body weight and I dont think the glass itself is going to bend or flex where the surface would become uneven. It's going to be about a week before I get the camera back anyway so I could buy a mount and just see if it stays on the glass for a full session on its own.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Well show us some video if you do end up doing it. I might try to get someone to tape me tomorrow. That should be ---- entertaining.

JungleMan
Apr 6, 2004

A story for my goalie buddies from one of my wife's (male) co-workers

This guy is a goalie and gets a call out of the blue from another buddy saying he needed a goalie right away for an "event" hockey game. So he heads out to the Sensplex and finds out it's a company team playing against members of Team Canada's women's team. So he's the goalie for the Team Canada team and is told to move his stuff over to their locker room. He's in there with a couple of guys who have been added to the team to fill out numbers and about ten women.

After the game is over he's the last one off the ice (slow rear end goalie) and finds the Canada girls are all undressing and showering in front of him. None making any effort to cover themselves with towels or anything. Sadly he has no cell phone photos to prove his story, but a fun tale nontheless.

Crumleg
Nov 18, 2006

Battles the Universe

titanium posted:

I guess we'll find out, the digital cam I have is only $200 and its light. Those heavy latching suction cups can withstand my entire body weight and I dont think the glass itself is going to bend or flex where the surface would become uneven. It's going to be about a week before I get the camera back anyway so I could buy a mount and just see if it stays on the glass for a full session on its own.

Trust me get a tripod. If the shock of the impacts don't knock the thing off the glass, they'll probably do a number on your camera anyway. Those things aren't as secure as they seem, in my relatively short career I've seen two cameras be completely destroyed by a suction cup coming loose (from a car).

<---Goalie and an equipment mgr for a production company

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

JungleMan posted:

Sadly he has no cell phone photos to prove his story, but a fun tale nontheless.

That was me. I was that goalie with no proof of said sexy events!

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!

Crumleg posted:

Trust me get a tripod. If the shock of the impacts don't knock the thing off the glass, they'll probably do a number on your camera anyway. Those things aren't as secure as they seem, in my relatively short career I've seen two cameras be completely destroyed by a suction cup coming loose (from a car).

<---Goalie and an equipment mgr for a production company

It's a point and shoot SD1100 hand cam that does decent video and no real moving parts. I took it to a Rage concert and ran the pit most of the time with it in my pocket and dropped it a few times over its lifespan. If it dies it dies if it doesnt, yay!

A decent chunk of the womans team USA plays in an A mens league around here.

http://www.pointstreak.com/players/players-team.html?teamid=172779&seasonid=3614

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JungleMan
Apr 6, 2004

Martytoof posted:

That was me. I was that goalie with no proof of said sexy events!

Yet another reason why it's good to be a goalie.

• Locked thread