Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tical00
Nov 17, 2008

by Lowtax

Wampa Stompa posted:

Does anyone have any tips for the Resident Evil Gamecube Remake or Eternal Darkness? I started RE, but had to delete my save because I had accidentally filled up Chris's laughably inadequate inventory with things I couldn't drop.

Pretty sure you can drop those items into the trunk, I don't recall anything that couldn't be put in there.
Also, always mix ingredients.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

I've debated buying Gangsters: Organized Crime. My main questions are:

1. Will it run fine in Vista?
2. Is it worth purchasing the sequel (I saw them being sold online in a joint pack)?
3. Are there any essential mods/patches that I need to know of?
4. Is there anyway to get this game through online distribution?

Khurath
Jul 26, 2007

Secret Ooze posted:

I just picked up Earth Defense Force 2017 for $3 at a garage sale today, and you guys have given some awesome tips for everything so far.

My buddy and I have played an unreasonable amount of this game, so here are some of the things I've noted.

- You do not have a reload button, but you do have infinite ammo. If at any time you aren't under attack and you don't have a full magazine, just fire into space until you reload. There's nothing more terrifying than running out of ammo when you're surrounded by spiders.

- Turrets are amazing, and are always worth taking as they effectively add another player who cannot be damaged and has a kickass machine gun. They won't target weak points though, so they really can't take out anything that requires you to hit a specific point to inflict damage (e.g. UFOs).

- Weapons drop randomly based on the stage you are playing, so if you want something specific you can check the drop chart (I believe Gamefaqs has a detailed list) and do that until you get it. A few things I highly recommend are the Lysander Z, ZEXR-Gun, Stingray MF and AF100.

- Armor drops give you the same amount on any difficulty level (1.2 per icon), so if you want to farm up your HP I'd recommend doing it on Easy.

- The Health display stops at 9999, but your actual max HP can go higher than that. I have no idea what the actual cap is, and you should never need to go that high, but it's an option if you're stuck.

- Rolling is faster than walking. If you need to get somewhere in a hurry, turn slightly to the side and start repeatedly rolling in that direction.

- The final stages in Hardest and Inferno are horribly brutal, and you need to play them differently than you did the lower difficulties. Farm up health, bring turrets, and keep your distance. When a tide of bugs approach, just throw out your turrets, activate them, and start rolling in the opposite direction. A good setup for most levels would be for P1 to have the Stingray MF/ZEXR-Gun and for P2 to have a Lysander Z/ZEXR-Gun. P1 tries to thin out swarms while P2 goes for critical targets like UFOs or artillery robots.

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
Getting Sid Meier's Civilization Revolution from Gamefly. Anything I should know? What's useful/useless etc.

KingShiro fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Apr 16, 2009

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

KingShiro posted:

Getting Sid Meier's Civilization from Gamefly. Anything I should know? What's useful/useless etc.

You mean Civilization Revolution, which is the one for consoles? If you meant the only game in the series titled "Sid Meier's Civilization", then you're going to be getting a DOS game in the mail shortly.

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
Revolution, I thought the inclusion of Gamefly would have narrowed it down.

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a hot deal on a bridge to the Pegasus Galaxy!
Grimey Drawer

KingShiro posted:

Getting Sid Meier's Civilization Revolution from Gamefly. Anything I should know? What's useful/useless etc.

Everyone will be at war with you pretty much constantly, you need to be prepared for that. Either build the great wall to buy some time, go on the offensive and keep the fighting away from your cities, or turtle up to the modern age, where the AI, even at the hardest difficulty, seems completely incapable of launching any kind of real assault against you.

Armies are pretty much required to both attack and defend (3 units of the same time in the same tile).

I find the Indians best for turtling/research, Germans best for conquest, and Egyptians are pretty good for anything else.

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please

CloseFriend posted:

My memory is hazy on this, just because it's been a long time since I played.

· Don't forget to equip newer skills as they become available. The sub-screen isn't entirely intuitive, so this is easy to forget.
· There's only one character you get in the game who isn't in your endgame party. It's possible to get this character back in a dungeon at the end.
· The battle system gets tighter as you go, so try to get in the habit of making decisions faster than you have to. Each Party Level requires you to play the game faster, so bear that in mind.
· More healing spells are always better. There are times when certain characters will be better healers than others. (At one point, Polka is the best healer in the game, then Frederic, then Viola, and then Polka again, with lots of variation in between.) I would highly recommend against ever going into battle without at least one healer and preferably two.
· Near the end, the bosses are huge difficulty spikes. You will end up grinding like a motherfucker in the endgame.
· The story gradually takes a David Lynch approach to sense making and the ending makes almost no sense at all. Although I try not to get into that stupid Japan/Japanophile stereotyping, there's quite a bit of existential anime angst in the later game.
· The game's New Game+ option cranks the enemy levels way up, so if you're going to do any sidequests or anything optional, do it on your first playthrough.

It's a fun game, though, (I personally have an extremely high opinion of the battle system) and the graphics stay gorgeous throughout, so have fun!

To add, it's worth finding a guide for the score pieces you pick up during the game. To fully complete the game you have to play through twice, the score pieces carry over. Playing certain pieces for certain characters gets you items, however the score pieces are not numbered at all in the game, so picking them up in order following a guide makes it much easier to know which one to play for which person.

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот
Valkyrie Profile 2

This game bothered me a lot when I tried to start it, since it seemed there was a whole lot of stuff going on that never really got explained accurately, or completely, and it was a death of a thousand needles not knowing what to do at certain points, so starting was always intimidating.

- The system looks and feels very active, but unless you are standing in their attack radius or moving, you can stand still to see their attack ranges, and nothing will happen while you do. It's not a fast-paced rush-fest.

- You can usually tell what attack is coming up by the attack radius it has. If you use a menu command or attack, all the upcoming attacks from everything on the field have a chance to change. If you see something nasty coming up, you can usually try to get rid of it.

- Skills. Go to the equip menu, and push triangle. This will bring up an incomplete skill list of stuff you can learn, with the runes and colors you need to learn them. After you equip the stuff you need from there, it'll alert you that you formed the skill, at which point you will start gaining points to use it after battles.

- Learn Training (red, Strengthening/Weakening/Leg) as soon as you can on all your main characters. You don't have to use it, but it's good to have when you need a few levels.

- Do not worry about releasing Einherjar like in VP1. You never have to do so, and the rewards are not terribly impressive, and it's usually helpful to do it as late as possible anyhow, since you get better stat-boosters if they have higher stats.

- Sealstones are vital to making some nasty encounters manageable, but you don't have to go crazy buying them for use anywhere--you'll almost always be able to use the ones in the dungeon to solve any problems the dungeon presents. Sword Blessing, Lifeforce Blessing, and maybe Experience Pig Law and Ice Blessing are the only ones early on that are worth actually buying.

- Get Celes from the Serdberg Mountain Ruins instead of the other alternative. Her skill and default attack can rip enemies apart with no actual effort invested.

- Killing the leader for a direct assault can be useful, but chopping up enemies for parts and accessories is key to getting some good items, mostly accessories to have a good variety of runes to learn skills from. You can also re-fight a lot of the early bosses to bust parts off of them by going to where you fought them and investigating the strange presence nearby.

This game has a billion nuances, which are fun once you get the hang of what to do most of the time, but it's not at all friendly when you're trying to get a grip on what to do the first time.

Squish
Nov 22, 2007

Unrelenting.
Lipstick Apathy
System Shock 2
* The wrench is awesome. It never breaks, and you can smack a million hybrids over the head with it - saving your precious guns from breakage. You should only retire your wrench when you find the crystal shard.
* The crystal shard loving rules.
* With the crystal shard, even brawlers(?) are meat for you to dice.
* Research any organs you find. That's pretty obvious but it can be a pain in the arse backtracking to find that specific element that you need. You could possibly source an FAQ and carefully read the research sections (to avoid spoiling the game) to bypass this tedious aspect.
* Choose your OS upgrades wisely; you only get 4. Most are useless, like the overhead swing or similar effects can be gained by using plug-ins.
* Guns are made of tinsel, sticky tape and paper mache. Keep a shotty, pistol, laser gun and grenade launcher. Only use them when you need to.
* I use the Navy route, because I like to hax everything.
* Hack everything. Be careful with those orange (ICE) nodes.
* Don't believe the haters. The psi amp can give you some very useful tricks, although you'd only buy them later in the game. However, the tier-one psi-pull pays for itself over and over, but only if you look around carefully for all those handy little caches of things stashed in high places.
* Never pay full price at a replicator :) (hax)
* Play in the dark with 5.1 speakers or headphones. Have spare underpants. Returning to the prominade deck to see a handful of fusion bots and spiders cruising around can really make your skin crawl.
* Oh, and you can destroy those annoying cameras too. It took me a while the first time through to realise that.
* Explore the gently caress out of this game. There are so many hidden caches of goodies, and other tidbits that you'll miss massive amounts of interesting scenes, storylines (in some cases) and bonus items. You should be a walking tank by deck 5.
* Listen carefully to those little log discs you find around the place. They give an amazing amount of background story info, and often clues to even more stashed goodies.
* gently caress the guns. Crystal shard it all the way. The other exotic weapons are just stupid.
* There are crazy amounts of stuff hidden away behind bins, on shelves, up in roof access areas, in little alcoves and locked boxes. If you can't open something, write a note down and come back when you can. All that stuff adds up. E.g. In one of the shuttle bays, there's a pile of cyber modules (Upgrade points for those who don't know).
* Disobey Shodan. You get your -10 modules back by looting the corpse, and there's some story content in there. Besides, Shodan can go f-f-f-f-gently caress herself.

Solarin posted:

How about System Shock 2? Including how to get it to run under Windows XP. I'm on an old game kick and would really like to play this but keep crashing trying to start a new game. I've tried compatibility mode with no success, anyone have any success getting it running under XP?
Strange. I'm sure I've played it on XP with no dramas at all.

McKracken posted:

I'm about to start Bioshock, yes I know I'm sort of late on getting around to this game. I've played SS2, so I guess I have that going for me since I've read Bioshock is pretty much a reskinned version of System Shock for the most part. I'm playing it on PS3 if that matters.

Bioshock couldn't be any more dissimilar to system shock. It's not even close.

Nonetheless
Bioshock
Hacking is retardedly easy. If you've ever played pipe dream, you'll find hacking becomes tediously simple. Therefore: hack everything. ProTip: right-click insta-finishes the line, so you don't have to wait around.
I also like to abuse the camera and I put Japanese tourist stereotypes to shame.

Haegemonia (/hegemonia)
This game is really fun. You can minmax the poo poo out of it.

* Save all your precious research points (RP) until you get the research upgrade (%5 cheaper research). It might not seem much, but the more you hoard your research points, the more you gain overall (The 5% saving on each thing accumulates just that little bit more in the long run). There's 1 or 2 more research upgrades too, but you do need to spend a little in the meantime.
* BUT, research the mining base earlier than you're supposed to, and only upgrade your corvettes as much as the plot tells you to. You'll have nastier ships later :)
* Capture every planet, and upgrade them before advancing. Sometimes you come back to an area.
* Still hoarding RPs? Good. Now that you have spies you can steal tech from other races. Only research things that you've stolen prototypes for. Researching a prototype nets you a 50% RP discount, ON TOP of the 5%+15% discount from both upgrades.
* Yes, you CAN have all three (of 4) weapon branches maxed out. You're not supposed to be able to research everything, and the only thing that has ever stopped me doing so is not being able to actually CLICK the items in the list, because I've drat well got every bit of tech and the game isn't programmed for that to even be possible. It ends up with available research being off screen.

Homeworld
Echoing the steal everything sentiment. Two of my mates had never finished that game because they were getting torn apart in the last mission. I beat it the first go simply by steamrolling the enemy's force with my stupidly large fleet. (8 cruisers, 25+ destroyers etc). It was 11 cruisers by the end of the mission ;)

Junkyard Dogs aren't invincible. It takes a while but once you nail it, your cap ships can travel through the junkyard with impunity.

Pen Expers
May 3, 2006

Pillbug

Squish posted:

Homeworld
Echoing the steal everything sentiment. Two of my mates had never finished that game because they were getting torn apart in the last mission. I beat it the first go simply by steamrolling the enemy's force with my stupidly large fleet. (8 cruisers, 25+ destroyers etc). It was 11 cruisers by the end of the mission ;)

Junkyard Dogs aren't invincible. It takes a while but once you nail it, your cap ships can travel through the junkyard with impunity.

Hah, Yea I stole every single frigate and destroyer in lvl 14, the one where you have to take out the hyperspace inhibitor. There are probably over 150 ships in sphere formation around it. Took a long rear end time, but it made the last two levels a lot more managable.

For the people having trouble in homeworld 2, try reading gamefaqs walkthroughs for the parts you're stuck on. I got stuck a couple times and those definitely helped, the single player campaign is definitely beatable.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

TadGhostal posted:

This may have been asked but it's a big thread and I don't have search, but I just picked up Star Ocean: The Last Hope today. Anyone got any tips going in?

Try not to get frustrated when it crashes 45 minutes after your last save or in the middle of a 20 minute cut-scene. :argh:

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

Arcsech posted:

If you haven't already, DO NOT look up the sanity effects before you play through. Also, don't be OCD about keeping your sanity up, because while you can easily, the game is much better if you let it stay low. When you get to it, examine the bathtub, you get a pretty sweet reward which a fair amount of people miss. Other than that, I don't recall anything that needs to be said up front.

Yeah, seconding this, since I nearly missed finding the not actually going to spoil it the first time through, and I think it's worth it.

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I recently started playing Tales of Symphonia for the Gamecube, anything I need to know? I'm a few hours into the game (just got a 5th party member), and I have it figured out alright, but I bought it used without a manual. One specific question: I've heard that it's a game worth playing multiple times, does anything carry over between games, or are there just rabid fans who love the game?

IcePotato
Dec 29, 2003

There was nothing to fear
Nothing to fear

Twitch posted:

I recently started playing Tales of Symphonia for the Gamecube, anything I need to know? I'm a few hours into the game (just got a 5th party member), and I have it figured out alright, but I bought it used without a manual. One specific question: I've heard that it's a game worth playing multiple times, does anything carry over between games, or are there just rabid fans who love the game?

Yeah, the tech points you accumuluate through battle can be used to buy things for new game+, like increased or halved XP, carrying over characters, etc. Plus the completed save file gets you a few extra items on the Wii Tales game. It's not really worth playing through twice in my opinion.

HorrorJunkie
Dec 12, 2006

My heart's as full as a baked potato!

Twitch posted:

It's been a while since I played it but yes, there's a New Game +, however it works a bit differently from other games. Throughout the game you acquire this stuff called Grade (I'm not sure if during the game you can ever actually see how much you have) and when you're starting up your new game you get sent to a shop menu where you can spend your grade to carry over certain aspects of your old save. They get split up into stuff like, start over with same weapons, start over with the same experience, start over with all of the same special moves, etc. If I remember correctly you really shouldn't have a problem acquiring enough grade to get everything you want. I played through the game the first time without any help and I didn't really even touch any sidequests and I had plenty of grade.

I think this may be the way it works in Tales of Vesperia, which I haven't played.

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Squish posted:

Bioshock
Hacking is retardedly easy. If you've ever played pipe dream, you'll find hacking becomes tediously simple. Therefore: hack everything. ProTip: right-click insta-finishes the line, so you don't have to wait around.
I also like to abuse the camera and I put Japanese tourist stereotypes to shame.

I agree totally with both these points. Unless you're totally overwhelmed with enemies or have no film, there's no reason you can't switch to the camera and take at few photos of your aggressors. You can also research the Little Sisters for small bonuses to your health and eve bars.

The invisibility plasmid you receive for researching spider splicers is also one of the most useful in the game, as splicers tend to give away themselves when nearby thanks to their senseless mutterings, giving you plenty of time to stand still and wait for an opportune moment to attack.

The electric discharge plasmid can be pretty cool, but beware that if you're near a Big Daddy or any friendly machinery the shockwave will hurt them too (which also causes the Big Daddy to attack you too).

If you're heading into an icy area, bring incinerate with you. There's plenty of treasure trapped under that ice.

If you're absolutely desperate for a health pack, destroy a health station.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Twitch posted:

There's so much poo poo to do sidequest-wise that you shouldn't even bother trying to do everything. Just play through with as little FAQ help as possible and get as much enjoyment out of it. There's simply no way outside of following a step-by-step guide of getting everything, and most of the time the rewards aren't worth it. You can't even 100% the game until future playthroughs because it is impossible to get every Title for every character on your first run. So try not to worry about whether you lost the chance to do a certain sidequest.

Don't spend Grade at the cat shops or whatever they're called. You'll pick up so many EX Spheres that you won't ever have to worry about having too few. Better to save up that Grade for choosing what you want for a New Game+.

Don't be an rear end to Zelos on your first playthrough, for one main reason which I won't spoil here. This is more of a personal preference on my part though.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Apr 20, 2009

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
drat, I wish I didn't spend those 50 grade on that EX sphere now (although I'm guessing that won't be that bad in the end). So far, I only glanced at a couple skill FAQs because I had no clue how the skills work, and I'll avoid looking at any other ones. Thanks for the advice!

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Twitch posted:

drat, I wish I didn't spend those 50 grade on that EX sphere now (although I'm guessing that won't be that bad in the end). So far, I only glanced at a couple skill FAQs because I had no clue how the skills work, and I'll avoid looking at any other ones. Thanks for the advice!

If you have a turbo controller you can grind as much grade as you want without actually being at the console later in the game.

Trying to avoid as many spoilers as I can:
When you're at the point right before the final boss, where it asks you "HEY FINAL BOSS HERE ARE YOU SURE YOU'VE DONE ALL THE SIDEQUESTS?" go back down to the world map and go to the elf village. Talk to the guy near the windmill to get a key item, then go to the research academy. Go into the library and go inside the weird book. Now inside the bonus dungeon you can farm easy battles on the upper floors if they're a respawn type floor. Just sit on the spawn point, set all characters to Auto mode, engage the turbo controller, and tape the A button down.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I finally got Soma Bringer patched and working on my DS...any particularly helpful tidbits?

Lets Fuck Bro
Apr 14, 2009
Not exactly for the first time, but I'm thinking of replaying Bioshock for the pc. Are there any mods to outright remove the hacking minigame or give me infinite autohacks or anything like that?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I need advice on Romance of the Three Kingdoms X.
Talking to people repeatedly is getting annoying, but I want those portraits.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I just picked up Bully for the PS2, anything I should know?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Bully
*You have unlimited stamina because you are a kid. Running is your normal walking speed.
*Let people hit you and arrange it so prefects will see it so they will tackle kids.
*Each group will end up hating you and get reinforcements, so don't fight every single battle.
*Going to sleep outside of save spots will basically cost you some clothing that you can put back on in your save rooms. (guess you had spares)
*Take your time with school work as your running around will end up hurting you in the long run when you aren't as prepared for outside work.
*Girls are a source of extra health when you have flowers and if they like you enough to kiss you.
*You can redo failed money missions.

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Anything for Tom Clancy's EndWar?

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Swiss Army Knife posted:

Anything for Tom Clancy's EndWar?

Haven't played this in a while, but I recall some tips

-Memorize which units are weaks against which and be able to react on the fly. The game is built around this, if some transports are giving you hell send some tanks after them. Read the little booklet that comes in the case and keep it nearby.

-Move your infantry around in the transports, I usually spawn a transport and some engineers at the start. Then I quickly move them to the first uplink and go from there. It's pointless to have them run across the battlefield. Plus, the transports are more effective with their machine guns.

-I always upgraded uplinks to air support because it's an easy and quick attack. If some units are attacking and you have nobody nearby to assist...launch the air strikes against those hostiles.

-DO NOT GROUP ALL YOUR UNITS AROUND ONE UPLINK OR IN ONE PLACE. Once you crush your enemy enough he gets a WMD activated and will launch it at a large group of your units. You will be cleaning up the fallout from that. I've screwed myself over far too many times because I kept everyone together lest I get ambushed. Then the WMD is activated and I can't separate everyone fast enough.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Just borrowed 360 Left 4 Dead from a friend. I won't be playing it online, but will be playing local. Any advice?

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.
I just bought Culdcept Saga. Should I be concerned with hunting down the other games in the series? Is this one of those series like Xenosaga where I'm hosed on the story if I don't play all the games?

DemiShadow
Oct 19, 2002
I picked up Farcry 2 for the 360, and it is one of the best looking games so far. I just can't seem to get into it, though, and I feel that I am missing something. Any tips and tricks to making this game easier/more enjoyable?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

CloseFriend posted:

I just bought Culdcept Saga. Should I be concerned with hunting down the other games in the series? Is this one of those series like Xenosaga where I'm hosed on the story if I don't play all the games?

If I remember right, the story from the first game was essentially "Rar big guy taking over stop him now go!" so no, I don't think you'll be missing any plot intricacies if you skip it. I'm pretty sure the two aren't related, anyway.

Trash Heap
Dec 26, 2002

Ask me about transforming into a semi and trucking over defenses.

Capsaicin posted:

Just borrowed 360 Left 4 Dead from a friend. I won't be playing it online, but will be playing local. Any advice?

Not to be a dick, but play it online. If any game was designed for online co-op in mind, it was this game.

Tical00
Nov 17, 2008

by Lowtax

Nate RFB posted:

I finally got Soma Bringer patched and working on my DS...any particularly helpful tidbits?

I'm playing through this also at the moment. Beautiful game, beautiful graphics.
I don't really have any TIPS at the moment, but be sure to put a soma gate as one of your buttons. Always plant one while fighting a big boss so that before you die you can just teleport outta there, heal up, than go back without having to make the long trek to get to it.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

Trash Heap posted:

Not to be a dick, but play it online. If any game was designed for online co-op in mind, it was this game.

Seconding this. When this game says "Co-op", think of it being written in 90-foot high concrete letters. The single player experience is nediocre at best, but when you play with other people, the game really shines.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Capsaicin posted:

That's almost like trying to play WoW offline. Maybe not as ridiculous, but seriously... playing that game SP is worthless.

BrokenLinux
Mar 9, 2003
/device/null
Anything helpful to know on these 2?

I'm about to give the 14 Age of Conan trial a go.

Also I'm about to play through Half-Life 2 for the first time.

Checked about 10 random pages thoughout this thread and didn't see anything.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

BrokenLinux posted:

Anything helpful to know on these 2?

I'm about to give the 14 Age of Conan trial a go.

Also I'm about to play through Half-Life 2 for the first time.

Checked about 10 random pages thoughout this thread and didn't see anything.

No help for age of conan (Hell, I thought that had folded already). Halflife 2 on the other hand...

My big advice is that the game is great, but the vehicle sections kind of suck. Power through them, they dont last THAT long (most people I know who played HL2 found that the boat section ended literally minutes before they were about to quit playing). The SMG sucks but you get a decent amount of ammo for it, the combine assault-rifle dealie is awesome but you can empty it with like 5 seconds firing. Use whatever gun you currently have ammo for.

Ammo/health/shield drops are based on your current levels of each. If you have a lot of ammo then very little will drop. If you are getting your rear end kicked then there will be health packs aplenty in the crates.

If you shoot the zombies in the head then it also kill the headcrab that was animating them, saves you a bit of effort.

gently caress fast zombies. Seriously.

Learn to love the gravity gun. There is something strangely satisfying about beating combine to death with a radiator.

To be honest its a fairly straightforward game, there arent really many parts you could really get stuck at. Just enjoy it. HL2 is great, in my humble opinion the episodes are better.

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

DemiShadow posted:

I picked up Farcry 2 for the 360, and it is one of the best looking games so far. I just can't seem to get into it, though, and I feel that I am missing something. Any tips and tricks to making this game easier/more enjoyable?

Just pace yourself. Take your time going around to different places, go for the long treks into random places for the scenery on the way to missions, stuff like that. The game can be very repetitive and frustrating, but the gunplay is stellar.

NeverWolf
Jan 5, 2005
There's someone in my head, but it's not me
Someone give me some helpful starting points in Far Cry 2.

I've already been playing it for two days but any suggestions on important secrets or whatever are welcome.

EDIT: ^ Wowzers shoulda checked that. I've already noticed that pacing yourself and just having fun with the environment is the way to go rather than trying to get all the missions done as fast as possible. You'll drive yourself crazy with all the driving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phetz
Nov 7, 2008

Daddy like...
Fun Shoe
When you start a game in Morrowind, do this:

After you generate your character, turn to the right (assuming you're facing the Census and Excise guy who you were talking to) and head to the shelves. There is a limeware platter on that shelf that's worth 650 drakes. Pick it up. The Imperial Legionnaire in the room will be alerted to your thievery, so drop the platter on the ground before he talks to you. He'll let you off the hook "just this one time," so pick the platter back up and then head into the next room.

Pick up the dagger and all the expensive poo poo in the room. This includes all the tableware on the table, as well as the plates and bottles of Sujamma(?) on the shelf behind the table.

Continue through to the next building and talk to Sellus Gravius.

Get the Ring of Healing in the barrel outside. Give Fargoth his ring.

Go to Arrile's Tradehouse and sell off all that poo poo you nicked. He'll give you a good deal because his disposition will be super high after you help Fargoth.

Go to the second floor of Arrile's Tradehouse. Talk to Hrikksar Flat-Foot. He'll give you a quest to take Fargoth's stuff. Do the quest, but don't talk to Hrikksar when you've completed it.

You now have a ton of money to spend on penny whistles and moon-pie. Enjoy the rest of the beginning of the game with a small fortune in your pocket.

Another way to make money:

Ajira in the Balmora Mages Guild will give you a quest to replace Galbedir's lesser soulgem with a fake one. When you get to Galbedir's desk, take all the soulgems and the limeware platter sitting on top of the desk as well. Sell them off to Creeper in Caldera over time for a few installments of 5,000 drakes.