Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MasterOSkillio
Aug 27, 2003

stevej88na posted:

Was it played on hexagons -- and called Steel Panthers? Great games! SSI also made a bunch of other WWII games, like Panzer Commander.

I think it may have been Steel Panthers, the screens look about right. I am going to ask one of my friends if he still has it, at least now I know which game to ask him for, THANKS! !

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Fredrik1 posted:

I've been wondering about this game for almost as long as I can remember.

The game was a sidescrolling 2d platformer, it was very much alike Commander Keen but I think it predated it.

I played it in the early nintees, but I think it was way older than that.

All I remember is that you could enter doors that led to (the next level?), that it had green algee things that could kill you growing out from the walls, and that it had jetpacks which you could pickup and they had limited fuel so you couldn't use them for very long periods of time.

I don't know if you had some sort of weapon other than that, but I am fairly sure it did.

Sorry for the rather unspecific description, if you can figure this out I'll have a big load of my mind.

Sounds like the ORIGINAL...

Duke Nukem. :c00lbert:

Or possibly Duke Nukem II. They were sidescrolling back then, and I'm sure I remember a jet pack.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
maybe halloween harry

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

MasterOSkillio posted:

I think it may have been Steel Panthers, the screens look about right. I am going to ask one of my friends if he still has it, at least now I know which game to ask him for, THANKS! !

If you find Steel Panthers II i'll totaly PBEM you

eddy
Apr 24, 2006
why not?
This game a top down 2d shooter for pc, it is indie made. it has familiar guns such as ak47. The name of the game is something like seek and destroy or search and destroy

Captain Hilarious
Jan 3, 2006
hello what

Darth Windu posted:

What was the name of that game on computer where you were some sort of polygonal tank and you shot green bullets at other polygonal tanks? They had a couple of different tanks you could choose to be but they all looked the same and only differed in speed, armor, something else...

Assault Rigs?

eddy
Apr 24, 2006
why not?

eddy posted:

This game a top down 2d shooter for pc, it is indie made. it has familiar guns such as ak47. The name of the game is something like seek and destroy or search and destroy

FOUND IT its called Seek and Dread - http://www.seekanddread.de/

I highly suggest you guys play this game is is very very fun

Rudger
Feb 20, 2006

i will mess you up

Meldonox posted:

I played this one when I was pretty young, so I admit I may not remember it all too clearly, but one time I rented an NES game that was primarily an indoor platformer (like that dragon-slaying labyrinth game where you pick a member of some sorta family in a treehouse, including their pink pet monster that monsters wouldn't attack), but when you came to a boss fight you'd start flying and it'd become kinduva side-scrolling shooter.

Wish I could think of better details than this, but as far as I can remember it was entirely indoors, most of the ground/walls/ceilings were tan, and the bosses were generally shades of grey. I remember one of them being an angel (and another a death's head angel) and it being a real son of a bitch. Any ideas?

I think this is Legacy of the Wizard.

Karo
May 23, 2008

Alle Ruder stehen still, wenn dein starker Arm es will.

Darth Windu posted:

What was the name of that game on computer where you were some sort of polygonal tank and you shot green bullets at other polygonal tanks? They had a couple of different tanks you could choose to be but they all looked the same and only differed in speed, armor, something else...

That sounds like Conqueror.

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
:rock:
Fallen Rib

City Hunter posted:

Sounds like the ORIGINAL...

Duke Nukem. :c00lbert:

Or possibly Duke Nukem II. They were sidescrolling back then, and I'm sure I remember a jet pack.

nope, none of these either

[edit]

I found it!!!!!

It was Dangerous Dave!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x82-a3tWMz8&feature=related

It had a gun!

man I played this game soo much.

Fredrik1 fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Mar 18, 2009

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

Neo Rasa posted:

This could also possibly be Breakdown on the XBox or Project Eden on the PS2.

MasterOSkillio: Is it Global Domination?

Yeah it was Breakdown, thanks man. That game sucked.

PITTSBURGH GLUE FORTUNE
Sep 24, 2002

This has been driving me insane for the past couple of days and I am actually starting to think that I had a dream about it and it never existed, but I remember it so vividly that I think it had to exist....here goes.

A few years ago, (2004-2006 ish?) there was an MMORPG in development whose main innovation was that all of your characters were mortal. Meaning that you made a character, played him as he developed and grew up, got married, had kids and eventually died. Once a character dies, thats it. He is dead. But you could pick up play where you left off as one of your offspring.

I don't remember if the game was ever released or not, but I remember there being two schools of thought on these forums about how it was going to be the best thing ever and the other people who hated it with a passion (that really narrows it down I know). If it did come out, it wasn't around very long before failing. Or if it ended up being canceled before release, it was canceled pretty close to the time it came out because I remember hearing a lot of talk about it based on beta testers opinions and seeing tentative box art and that sort of thing.

I have this recollection that the game box was blue, and the title was a single word I think? I may be totally off on that bit.

Someone please help me, I am about to lose my poo poo trying to remember this game. Even sites that have MMORPG graveyards on them can't seem to help me out.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

Destro85 posted:

This has been driving me insane for the past couple of days and I am actually starting to think that I had a dream about it and it never existed, but I remember it so vividly that I think it had to exist....here goes.

A few years ago, (2004-2006 ish?) there was an MMORPG in development whose main innovation was that all of your characters were mortal. Meaning that you made a character, played him as he developed and grew up, got married, had kids and eventually died. Once a character dies, thats it. He is dead. But you could pick up play where you left off as one of your offspring.

I don't remember if the game was ever released or not, but I remember there being two schools of thought on these forums about how it was going to be the best thing ever and the other people who hated it with a passion (that really narrows it down I know). If it did come out, it wasn't around very long before failing. Or if it ended up being canceled before release, it was canceled pretty close to the time it came out because I remember hearing a lot of talk about it based on beta testers opinions and seeing tentative box art and that sort of thing.

I have this recollection that the game box was blue, and the title was a single word I think? I may be totally off on that bit.

Someone please help me, I am about to lose my poo poo trying to remember this game. Even sites that have MMORPG graveyards on them can't seem to help me out.

Dawn

Pretty much the definition of vaporware.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Here's one: a free little Japanese game where you are a red dot, and all you do is avoid an onslaught of dots in a 'bullet-eater' way.

Artist rendition:

PITTSBURGH GLUE FORTUNE
Sep 24, 2002

Double post

PITTSBURGH GLUE FORTUNE fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Mar 19, 2009

PITTSBURGH GLUE FORTUNE
Sep 24, 2002

lord funk posted:

Here's one: a free little Japanese game where you are a red dot, and all you do is avoid an onslaught of dots in a 'bullet-eater' way.

Artist rendition:

Shiroi Danmakukun I think is this one. I remember playing that one a lot in one of my shmup phases a few years ago.

http://www.lithiumleaf.com/index.php/developers/shinh/

Tarquinn posted:

Dawn

Pretty much the definition of vaporware.

I was just looking at this one a little bit ago, and I don't think this is it. I feel like this game was close to release at once point and it was strictly RPG, I don't think it had "elements of every genre" or anything like that.

PITTSBURGH GLUE FORTUNE fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Mar 19, 2009

Gray Stormy
Dec 19, 2006

stevej88na posted:

This sounds vaguely like Quest for Glory IV: Shadows of Darkness, which was awesome except for a bug that kept me from making it further than castle Borgov. The days before downloadable patches!

While a great game in its own right, sadly it isnt the one I was thinking of.

Mine took place(in the demo anyway) in a desert(maybe a SPACE desert?), and I dont remember it featuring any voice acting.

One thing that sticks out in my mind about it was accidentally toggling combat mode on and trying to talk to a guard captain about something. Instead of talking though I attacked him and was soundly defeated.

Thinking more on it, it might have been 'Black something' rather than 'Dark.'

I cant remember the exact year the demo appeared in PC Gamer, but I know it was during Coconut Monkeys existence.

Hyperbolic
Jun 9, 2003

Hyperbolic posted:

I'm trying to remember the name of a free/independant multiplayer game that was posted on these forums a few years back and that a lot of people played. I've searched google for over an hour now and it's like this game never existed.

Hopefully someone else remembers this:
It was a top down space shooter.

There were three different races/ships to pick from. I think the green ship had a spread weapon and the blue one had missiles that you could roughly send in a controlled arc by timing the release while side scrolling. There was a pink/purple ship, but I don't really remember what its primary weapon was, except that it possibly sparkled.

There was plasma constantly forming between the two ships that acted as a barrier for weapons, and would break apart when shot. You could suck it into your ship to upgrade your weapons.

You would be constantly paired up with another player and go 1v1.

Sorry for the bump, but still looking for an answer.

Nothing Doing
Dec 16, 2007

Hyperbolic posted:

Sorry for the bump, but still looking for an answer.

Pretty sure that's Harmotion. I haven't played it in forever, but those descriptions you gave match what I remember. Googling doesn't seem to turn up their site anymore though.

Here's a video.

Hyperbolic
Jun 9, 2003

Nothing Doing posted:

Pretty sure that's Harmotion. I haven't played it in forever, but those descriptions you gave match what I remember. Googling doesn't seem to turn up their site anymore though.

Here's a video.

THANK YOU

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

I spent $1,000 on my computer but I'm too "poor" to take my dog or any of my animals to the vet for vet care. My neglect caused 1 of my birds to die prematurely! My dog pisses everywhere! I don't care! I'm a piece of shit! Don't believe me? Check my post history in Pet Island!
Asking for a friend, hope someone knows! Old pc game he used to play 10 years ago?

-it was like a turn-based strategy game kind of, theres a few different kinds of units with different size/speed and you have to like, do something that involves carrying a ball
-i dont remember what you had to do with it but i remember you had to kill the guy carrying the ball for the other team if they got it
-i remember the name for the biggest unit was something short, like 4 letters

edit: Also, another game I'm trying to remember,
PC game, 2d graphics, was a text game thing, get you type like, get ball, use ball or w/e. Started with a haunted??? mansion maybe, maybe has a mad scientist type guy. But one of the first things in there was a dog, and you had to get meat to get past the dog I think.

Malalol fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Apr 18, 2009

Jive One
Sep 11, 2001

Malalol posted:

edit: Also, another game I'm trying to remember,
PC game, 2d graphics, was a text game thing, get you type like, get ball, use ball or w/e. Started with a haunted??? mansion maybe, maybe has a mad scientist type guy. But one of the first things in there was a dog, and you had to get meat to get past the dog I think.

Not sure on your first one but I think the 2nd is Hugo's House of Horrors.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

RedBox posted:

When I was 7 or 8 years old (1992-1993) I was over a friend's house and played a really fun console game. I can't remember what system it was on, but it wasn't Nintendo. Might have been an uncommon system like neogeo or 3DO.

It was really Japanese, colorful, good happy music. You're in the clouds flying around and there's like colorful balls or birds or robots or some poo poo.

What game is this?

Blue's Journey? TwinBee? Toilet Kids? Sexy Parodius? Super Fantasy Zone? Captain Tomaday? Star Parodier?

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

^^^^^^^^^
Maybe "Stinger" for the NES? I think that's Twinbee 2. Seems pretty likely.

Tolstojevski
Apr 10, 2009
I have been looking for one particular game for years now. I only played a demo of it, I'd say in 1999-2000. It was a 3d game, you were supposed to colonise planets. Action and strategy hybrid, you could directly control your units.
What I specifically recall is that the first mission was on Earth, and you had to control a robot to bring a battery of sorts to your shuttle. The second one was on the Moon, where you learned how to harvest things. That is all I recall.

Ajax 99
Jul 14, 2006
Kibbles 'n bits? I think not!
Buglord

HinderedUseless posted:

I'm trying to remember an old Star Trek game. Basically you wandered around the ship trying to solve a mystery (the exact nature of which I don't remember). I do remember that you type in complete sentences and the game had a pretty robust dialogue tree. I'm not sure if this is enough information, but someone has to remember this game.

Maybe Star Trek: Kobayashi Alternative or Promethean Prophecy? I recall trying to get Kobayashi Alternative to run (unsuccessfully) on my C64 with an Enhancer 2000 disk drive. Anyone remember those?

http://www.mobygames.com/game/c64/star-trek-the-kobayashi-alternative
http://www.mobygames.com/game/c64/star-trek-the-promethean-prophecy

Ajax 99 fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Apr 19, 2009

Ajax 99
Jul 14, 2006
Kibbles 'n bits? I think not!
Buglord

Secret Ooze posted:

I asked this in the last thread and wasnt able to solve the mystery.

I played the demo of this game on a PC Gamer demo CD in the mid-90s.

I swear the name was something like 'Dark Something' I always thought it was Dark Sun, but I dont think it is.

Graphically it was similar to later Kings Quest games, really nicely detailed sprites. I dont remember much about music or sound though. You controlled your character(who was a prince maybe?) with the numberpad/arrow keys, and you would have switch between 'Search/Interact' and 'Combat' modes with a key. Different key combos would yield different attacks. It took place in a fantasy/desert setting too.

I cant for the life of me figure out what this is called. Ive always wanted to play the full game though. Maybe it never became anything more than a demo?

Could it be Dark Earth from Microprose? I still have that one. Haven't played it in a while, though.

http://www.mobygames.com/game/dark-earth

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES

Tolstojevski posted:

I have been looking for one particular game for years now. I only played a demo of it, I'd say in 1999-2000. It was a 3d game, you were supposed to colonise planets. Action and strategy hybrid, you could directly control your units.
What I specifically recall is that the first mission was on Earth, and you had to control a robot to bring a battery of sorts to your shuttle. The second one was on the Moon, where you learned how to harvest things. That is all I recall.

Did you have to write programs for your robots? If so, I think you're probably talking about Colobot.

Earthworm
May 1, 2007
The game I am looking to find was a sort of strategy/simulation for the PC taking place in fuedal England. I believe it came out in the early to mid 90's, and I'm pretty sure it was made by Sierra. You took on the role of a minor lordling and the end goal was to defeat the king(?) and conquer all of England. You could participate in tournaments as a knight/lord, which consisted of melee's and jousting. There was a box of ladies from court that you could ask for favor in the jousts. There was also a castle building portion to the game, which seemed rather in depth for my 14 year old self. You would build walls, buildings, farms, etc. You could travel around to all the castles/holds/towns/etc and shop at the stores, fight, things like that. I've been looking for this game for years, please god help me!

edit - The melee's/castle invasion type things were in a real lovely first person 3d type engine, think doom/doom2, probably released around the same time as doom2. Pretty sure the jousting was in 3d as well. Hope that helps!

Earthworm fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Apr 20, 2009

Bizarro Kale
Oct 15, 2005
Not expecting much luck with this one.

It was some sort of strategy game on the Amiga which was based around circuitry, I vaguely remember something about defending your batteries against the other side using various electrical components. Pretty sure it was turn based and in addition to building your circuit and components there were things which you could move along the wires to attack.

It may have been public domain as I had a few public domain compilations.

Probably looked something like this.

With a build menu on the side with all the things you could make.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Earthworm posted:

The game I am looking to find was a sort of strategy/simulation for the PC taking place in fuedal England. I believe it came out in the early to mid 90's, and I'm pretty sure it was made by Sierra. You took on the role of a minor lordling and the end goal was to defeat the king(?) and conquer all of England. You could participate in tournaments as a knight/lord, which consisted of melee's and jousting. There was a box of ladies from court that you could ask for favor in the jousts. There was also a castle building portion to the game, which seemed rather in depth for my 14 year old self. You would build walls, buildings, farms, etc. You could travel around to all the castles/holds/towns/etc and shop at the stores, fight, things like that. I've been looking for this game for years, please god help me!

edit - The melee's/castle invasion type things were in a real lovely first person 3d type engine, think doom/doom2, probably released around the same time as doom2. Pretty sure the jousting was in 3d as well. Hope that helps!

This sounded like Lord of the Realm 2 until you added the last part...

Tolstojevski
Apr 10, 2009

bgreman posted:

Did you have to write programs for your robots? If so, I think you're probably talking about Colobot.

That is indeed it :). Thank you very much for that, as it even looks better then I remember(as I forgot you can program the bots, which is awesome).

Hyperbolic
Jun 9, 2003

Earthworm posted:

Did some searching, was it Conqueror A.D. 1086

Earthworm
May 1, 2007

Hyperbolic posted:

Did some searching, was it Conqueror A.D. 1086

That's it! You guys are loving fast. Awesome.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
There was a game at the Metreon in San Francisco about 5 years ago. You played as a T-rex, running around killing other Dinosaurs and having raptors jump on you and kill you. It was all polygonal, but done in a similar fashion to any side-scrolling beat-em-up. I have never been able to find the game since, nor have I ever been able to find out what the name of the game ever was.

Gray Stormy
Dec 19, 2006

Ajax 99 posted:

Could it be Dark Earth from Microprose? I still have that one. Haven't played it in a while, though.

http://www.mobygames.com/game/dark-earth

For YEARS I have been trying to figure out what the hell this game was called. I remember playing the everloving poo poo out of the demo.

You are awesome!

Please tell me this game is as great as my memory is telling me it was.

Hyperbolic
Jun 9, 2003

Shadowhand00 posted:

There was a game at the Metreon in San Francisco about 5 years ago. You played as a T-rex, running around killing other Dinosaurs and having raptors jump on you and kill you. It was all polygonal, but done in a similar fashion to any side-scrolling beat-em-up. I have never been able to find the game since, nor have I ever been able to find out what the name of the game ever was.

Closest I could find was Savage Quest

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal

Hyperbolic posted:

Closest I could find was Savage Quest

Dah, this is exactly it. Thanks!

The Entity
Apr 16, 2009

I still see the X
Can any of you help me find the title of this game? I think the game was released around 2003-2004, and I used to play a demo version that came on a magazine coverdisc. Basically, you had to scare these sorority girls out of a haunted house. You got to control where to place these ghosts, (I think you could also place some ghostly noises, to create a sense of fear). I think the girls also spoke in 'simlish', and the graphics were similar in style to The Sims 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

The Entity posted:

Can any of you help me find the title of this game? I think the game was released around 2003-2004, and I used to play a demo version that came on a magazine coverdisc. Basically, you had to scare these sorority girls out of a haunted house. You got to control where to place these ghosts, (I think you could also place some ghostly noises, to create a sense of fear). I think the girls also spoke in 'simlish', and the graphics were similar in style to The Sims 2.

That one's Ghost Master. It's available on Steam now, I think.