Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tractorcrusher
Sep 29, 2003

Huh huh huh huh huh! And you just said Hi! Hi! Hi! Heh heh heh! You sounded like ahh ha ha my niece! And she's six months old ha ha ha!

Wamsutta posted:

Quick camera phone (LG Voyager) shot I took Saturday after detailing my TSX in preparation for the UCONN car show... bolt-ons, suspension, and cosmetic stuff. Supercharger coming soon.

Nice car, but the red lug bolts kind of cheapen the effect... Good luck with the s/c.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

kimbo305 posted:

500rwhp when my turbo is done.

Seriously Wamsutta, I wouldn't recommend supercharging it. It's way more worth your money to sell it stock and buying a better car. Unless you think you're gonna keep the car a long time, just grit your teeth and save your money.

That's the thing -- I absolutely am going to be keeping it for a long time. I love it, it does basically anything I want a car to do. I primarily use it for commuting, with occasional roadtrips. A bit of extra power would be awesome. Dollar/hp increase ratio is terrible, and I knew that when I ordered the blower. But this car's not going anywhere any time soon. :) I'm looking very forward to it.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

tractorcrusher posted:

Nice car, but the red lug bolts kind of cheapen the effect... Good luck with the s/c.

Yeah I know not everybody's going to like those. I put them on after I installed the big brake kit, and decided I liked them. Thanks for the kind words.

Derty
Dec 19, 2007

Arwox posted:

That picture is absolutely gorgeous.

Thanks. That was taken on a logging road a couple miles outside of Mt. Rainier National Park.

Carlinator
Feb 12, 2009
snip

Carlinator fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Feb 6, 2019

_firehawk
Sep 12, 2004

I keep thinking to myself that this Vette is terrified that it is being taken apart by a Ford mechanic.

Taaaaaaarb!
Nov 17, 2008

Electric Space Famicon

_firehawk posted:

I keep thinking to myself that this Vette is terrified that it is being taken apart by a Ford mechanic.

The "Ford mechanic" you are referring to has a lot of memorabilia in his work shop from pretty much everything. He builds custom hot rods and restores classic cars. I think the fact that there were two other corvettes in there at the same time should assuage any fears.

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

Fortress TB posted:

The "Ford mechanic" you are referring to has a lot of memorabilia in his work shop from pretty much everything. He builds custom hot rods and restores classic cars. I think the fact that there were two other corvettes in there at the same time should assuage any fears.

Click here for the full 1600x1200 image.

I wonder if they're any better at working on them than GM mechanics :xd:

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD

Das Volk posted:

I wonder if they're any better at working on them than GM mechanics :xd:

After having the seat cover replaced due to there being a small hole poked in it at the factory (yay union workers!) and taking it in for the Felt® that was the official resolution for the top squeaking when it was stowed in the hatch, my friend has not had any issues in the year that he has owned his 08 corvette.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!
I finally got some pics of my car back from my latest track day

Bonus pouring smoke out the back and about to get meatballed

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Been meaning to do this for ages as I love this thread:

I don't know why the car looks so fat in the pics, its actually quite svelte; I blame the GF's crappy camera.

I'm not sure if you get this model in the States, but it's an Evolution IX MR FQ-360 (that needs a clean).

spud fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Apr 26, 2009

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

spud posted:

I'm not sure if you get this model in the States, but it's an Evolution IX MR FQ-360 (that needs a clean).

Nope. :(

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
Do all those badges weigh you down? :v:

EDIT: vvv ffffffffffffff vvv

Ziploc fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Apr 26, 2009

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Ziploc posted:

Do all those badges way you down? :v:

Probably. But believe it or not, that's how it comes from the dealer. I would guess the carbon fibre bits stuck allover weigh me down too :(

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Ziploc posted:

Do all those badges way you down? :v:

Jokes on the internet work better if you use the right words.

Positive Housemouse
Jun 5, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

spud posted:

Probably. But believe it or not, that's how it comes from the dealer. I would guess the carbon fibre bits stuck allover weigh me down too :(

Was anything done under the hood or just cosmetic stuff?

Edit: ^^^ lol

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Positive Housemouse posted:

Was anything done under the hood or just cosmetic stuff?

Edit: ^^^ lol

Well...sort of. The non-mr Fq-360 is 366bhp from a 2litre turbocharged engine anyway. The "MR" part stands for Mitsubishi Racing and is kinda a limited edition run (I think 200, UK only were made) with BBS rally replica alloys, a titanium inlet turbocharger for better throttle response, custom recaro seats, a carbon fibre trim, and eibach springs that sit a few mm lower on the bilstein shocks for better handling. It is still the same bhp and torque figures as the standard fq-360 though (think 366bhp, 364ish lb/ft, 0-60 in 3.9secs).

I just wanted the MR because it did seem to handle a little better. Also, I REALLY like badges as you can see :haw:

EDIT: From the brochure I found here http://www.donnellygroup.co.uk/newmodels/Evo%20IX%20MR(1).pdf it says (in cheesy English):

quote:

THE LAST ACTION HERO
It’s the end of an era! The Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IX MR will be the very last Evo to be driven by what must be one of the greatest engines in motoring history – the legendary 1997ccfour-cylinder 4G63. But what a finale! The HKS performance upgrade package includes a racing suction pipe, intercooler piping kit, stainless steel downpipe, Super Drager exhaust system, high flow catalytic converter, high pressure fuel pump and a remapped ECU. Further more, in the new MR FQ-360 by HKS, titanium aluminium alloy replaces the inconel (a nickelchrome alloy) previously used for the turbocharger’s turbine wheel and the compressor wheel’s inlet diameter has beenreduced. The result, difficult though it may be to believe, is even greater dynamic performance in off-the-line acceleration.

In addition, new Eibach coil springs combine with the Bilstein shock absorbers to optimize damping characteristics – ride height has been lowered by 10mm at the front and 5mm at the rear for enhanced stability and cornering performance. The front airdam has been redesigned to reduce the flow of air under the car, reducing air resistance and increasing downforce.

The result of all this is the ultimate driving experience fromthe ultimate point-to-point car. The difference may be subtle, but it’s very, very real. And there are not one, but two very good reasons to own the Lancer Evolution IX MR – because it’s the best, and because it’s the last of its generation, for the LancerEvolution as we currently know it will never, ever be seen again.

I think the bits I bolded are the 2 new "performance" features unique to the MR.

spud fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Apr 26, 2009

tractorcrusher
Sep 29, 2003

Huh huh huh huh huh! And you just said Hi! Hi! Hi! Heh heh heh! You sounded like ahh ha ha my niece! And she's six months old ha ha ha!
I remember reading about the FQ360 before it came out, then I guess I forgot about them...

Very cool that we have one on the site!

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
:argh: Britain and all their cool cars.

I can't have nice things. Someone decided to drop a brick (or something) on my hood while it was parked outside work.

Oh well, the body was pretty dinged and dented to begin with, so not a huge loss I suppose. :sigh:

rottingtrashcan
Feb 7, 2004
Rustang Owner
2007 GTi, 6 speed. Painted hood, exhaust, as soon as the lease is up, chip, etc. Click to see bigger.

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003
Crosspost from Jeep MegaThread:

'98 XJ 4.0 5spd. Picked it up for $1k, although we're into it for twice that after replacing a million little things. Stock minus the Dynomax cat-back and three sets of Hella lamps.

Click here for the full 2048x1362 image.

Thehit
Apr 9, 2009

spud posted:

I don't know why the car looks so fat in the pics, its actually quite svelte; I blame the GF's crappy camera.

Evo buddy! That looks awesome!
How long have you owned it? What do you think of it? I'm real keen to get behind the wheel of an VIII or IX, to see what they're like to drive. Would be interesting to try out the whole "more civilised" thing.

I see Throatwarbler posted Evo bonnet, I think Belldandy(?) tracks an Evo, anyone else here with one?

spud
Aug 27, 2003

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Thehit posted:

Evo buddy! That looks awesome!
How long have you owned it? What do you think of it? I'm real keen to get behind the wheel of an VIII or IX, to see what they're like to drive. Would be interesting to try out the whole "more civilised" thing.

I see Throatwarbler posted Evo bonnet, I think Belldandy(?) tracks an Evo, anyone else here with one?

Hey dude. I dunno what you mean by "more civilised" about the VIII or IX. It was the X that was supposed to be the new one that was more civilised, with a new alu engine and better cabin etc.

I bought it in October last year. I was waiting for the evo-X to come out before I made my decision. After driving an evo X fq-360, I was pretty dissapointed. The car is heavier, feels less precise, and has less torque and bhp than the evo ix. It also only had a 5 speed box, which is nuts for a car with that much power. It was better built and had a far nicer cabin though...which doesn't really matter to me :)

I absolutely love the car. It feels far faster than the 366bhp would suggest, and pretty much nothing on the road can touch you to 60mph, and generally even 100mph. By that point I don't really care about going faster as if I get caught i would lose my licence in most places anyway :P

I expected a lot of understeer as the car is 4wd, but what it does at the limit is give more torque to the outside rear-wheel on a corner (thanks to the fancy electronics and stuff), and you actually OVERSTEER, which is amazingly fun. It's like having a rear wheel drive car with the security of 4WD. I am not the best driver in the world by a long shot, but in this car I feel totally safe thanks to the trick-4wd system making me look like a rally professional (well I like to think I look like that anyway :D ).

The bad points are (in my opinion):

- Build quality. Although the mechnanical parts seem solid as anything, the cabin is pretty plasticy and cheap.

- Running costs. It needs servicing every 4500miles, gives you about 9mpg if you drive it hard (20mpg if you drive like an old lady), needs super-unleaded fuel (97-98RON), needs new tyres about every 8-10k, and is in the same insurance group (in the UK) as Lambos and ferraris which makes it very expensive to insure if you are young or have had previous accidents/convictions.

- Attention. I would much prefer to drive an understated car like an RS4 that hints at the power rather than throws it in your face (if they made an evo like that of course...I dont feel the RS4 handles as well, and its slower off the line). With all the stickers, carbon-fibre parts, loud exhaust etc, you get a lot of attention from young lads. Some are nice and want to talk to you about the car. Others just want to key the side of it when you leave it in a parking lot as they are assholes.

- Noise. The exhaust is huge, and so is the noise the car makes. You have to literally shout to passengers if you are on the motorway at 70mph.

- Ride quality. The suspension is very, very hard. You feel every, bump, pot-hole etc. This makes for great handling, but not a great car for a relaxing afternoon drive!

- Turning circle. My girlfriend has a renault clio. I can park this easily as the turning circle is great. A 3-point turn is a 3-point turn! In my car, thanks to the quick steering rack, I look like an old woman trying to park anywhere. The thing turns like a barge at slow speed.

Overall, I love the car as it does exactly what it says on the tin: it's a rally car for the road, and gives supercar performance for very little money. The only real downside is the supercar running costs, but at the minute im doing ok with these. If you want any more pics or info, ask away, but please be aware im not that sort of the guy that spends weekends covered in engine oil in my garage so I probably can't answer really technical questions...i just like to drive cars.

EDIT:

Thought of another negative. In the UK, cars are taxed by their C02 emissions on a yearly basis: the more CO2 per KM your car puts out, the higher your tax. We have 13 bands ranging from band A for cars that output less than 100g CO2 per km, to band M for cars that output more than 225g per KM. Band M costs £405 per year. My car outputs 344g/Km.....As we are only at band M, i expect in the future that the Government will introduce more bands, which means I won't get away with paying the same as band M, as, in effect, I am outputting 125g/km more than a band M car, but paying band M for it.

spud fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Apr 28, 2009

Thehit
Apr 9, 2009
I have an Evo VI, and from everything I've read, the VIII's and IX'a are meant to be a tad more liveable on a daily basis.

I hear ya on most of those points, but it's amazing how you put your foot down in 2nd, and all those negatives don't matter at all anymore.

DogDodger
Nov 19, 2006

Hellcat likes it rough.

spud posted:

I would much prefer to drive an understated car like an RS4 that hints at the power rather than throws it in your face (if they made an evo like that of course...I dont feel the RS4 handles as well, and its slower off the line).

It's not just you that feels that way, I'm sure. The RS 4 unfortunately has ~700 pounds more car to throw around. That Evo is certainly an impressive car.

hass
Aug 10, 2004

by Ozma

morothar posted:

My new car at the dealer's last Saturday when I went to pick it up.

Click here for the full 800x600 image.

Taken with my Iphone. I have better pictures and plan on posting them when I have some time (and working Internet as I just moved).
It's a 2008 Cayman I got a good deal on - sadly, you cannot see the sexy backside in the picture.
Holy crap, that is one loving sweet always park sideways away from everyone else loving car. Very nice.
Here's my new 2007 Honda SI

hass fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Apr 29, 2009

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD

hass posted:

Holy crap, that is one loving sweet always park sideways away from everyone else loving car. Very nice.
Here's my new 2007 Honda SI

Know a guy that has one of those, he let me drive it for a little bit because we ragged on him about VTAK all weekend. Nice car, drives real smooth and isn't harsh or buzzy like the last honda I drove (EG hatch). He wouldn't shut up about the 6SPEED all weekend so that's his nickname now :lol:

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Who could be scared of a Jeffrey?
My 1994 Mustang GT.

Click here for the full 800x600 image.

Click here for the full 800x800 image.

I've spent my time adding every kind of supporting mod I possibly can while I decide what to do with the motor. I have struts/shocks and springs arriving today to hopefully alleviate the truck-like stance.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Nice. Is that the stock GT hood?

My Neon ACR that I'm selling:

Click here for the full 1024x768 image.

If you think that wheel gap is bad, you shoulda seen it with the 14" stock wheels.

I like everything about the car except the terrible terrible interior design. Colors, fonts, layout, you name it, Dodge did not get it right.

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Who could be scared of a Jeffrey?

kimbo305 posted:

Nice. Is that the stock GT hood?

It's a ~2 inch fiberglass cowl hood from Mustangs Unlimited.

I love the ACR, by the way. You really don't see them around too much. If I was in the market for a daily driver I'd jump all over that as you're a fellow Masshole. :)

projek7
May 1, 2006
twinkie
2008 Honda Civic Si
Just a short shifter and intake. Plans to lower it later down the road but that'll probably be the only other thing i'll do to this car.

Then a few days ago, some kid fell asleep at the wheel, hit the person next to me which ended up getting shoved into my car. My car got the least damage out of all the cars but it still sucks.

Click here for the full 1504x1000 image.

Click here for the full 1504x1000 image.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Nice Stang and ACR fellow Massholes. I had a lovely 4 door Neon for my first car. Every time I looked at it I'd picture some weird alien hovercraft. The coupes look a lot better though.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Super Aggro Crag posted:

The coupes look a lot better though.

Yeah, it blows my mind that Chrysler oked the cost of having such different body work for the C-pillar.

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

Scientifically proven to be more fuel efficient than hybrids!

kimbo305 posted:

My Neon ACR

What was the ACR package? Wasn't there an ACR Viper too?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

TurboLuvah posted:

What was the ACR package? Wasn't there an ACR Viper too?

The stiffest suspension with adjustable struts and camber, stronger hubs, higher final ratio, different front fascia with no fog lights (so maybe you could duct and cool your brakes?). e: forgot different swaybars, quicker steering ration, and the originals came without AC or radio.

There's a new ACR Viper, but I thought there was also an older ACR package as well.

kimbo305 fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Apr 29, 2009

hass
Aug 10, 2004

by Ozma

projek7 posted:

2008 Honda Civic Si
Just a short shifter and intake. Plans to lower it later down the road but that'll probably be the only other thing i'll do to this car.

Hey there SI buddy. Sorry to hear about that dude.

numba1wonga
Jan 18, 2005

This girl just took a gigantic poop all over herself.
Just picked it up last week.

Click here for the full 1024x576 image.

2005 Mazda 6 sport hatchback, 2.3L 5-speed. I really like it.

Bought it to replace this:

Click here for the full 995x576 image.

1990 Toyota Corolla SR5 coupe.

g33kster
Feb 12, 2004

I'm a hairy glue baby
My new-to-me 2008 R32. Just got her last week.

cynic
Jan 19, 2004

Volkswagen Tiguan TDI 170 Sport + brand new Ace Award Tristar touring caravan. Yes I am a pikey. The car is amazingly fun to drive as well (I don't think this model is available in the US, but it has modified suspension).

Click here for the full 1024x681 image.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iqarus
Mar 31, 2008

cynic posted:

Volkswagen Tiguan TDI 170 Sport + brand new Ace Award Tristar touring caravan. Yes I am a pikey. The car is amazingly fun to drive as well (I don't think this model is available in the US, but it has modified suspension).

Click here for the full 1024x681 image.

thats an awfully long caravan to have just a single axle. weird