Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

I know there's a couple of guys who work at Subaru dealers - I'm curious as to what sort of term the 2.9% financing is for? I'll qualify for it since I have great credit, but I'm crunching some numbers on a possible new car purchase and the dealerships aren't open yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Nubbins
Jun 1, 2004

LordOfThePants posted:

I know there's a couple of guys who work at Subaru dealers - I'm curious as to what sort of term the 2.9% financing is for? I'll qualify for it since I have great credit, but I'm crunching some numbers on a possible new car purchase and the dealerships aren't open yet.

When I was looking around I noticed some local dealerships advertising it for 72 months.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

MrBlandAverage posted:

I just ordered a set. How'd they work out for autox? I'm surprised you're getting 20k miles out of them - how many autox events did you attend?

Sorry for the late reply, they were great for autox. They have excellent initial turn in and they get warm during the first run. I ran about 7 events on them last year and they wore evenly all the way around with some proper camber adjustments. I found that bleeding a bit of air as they heat up and spraying them after the 2nd or 3rd run, depending on how long the run is, kept them at the right temperature. I never managed to turn them greasy. The sidewall is stiff without being back breaking so they communicate, but I never had them roll over the sidewall.

I also managed to get about 20k out of my RE070s with 2 seasons of autoxing on them so maybe I'm just really nice to my tires. I swap wheels and tires over the winter which might help, now those tires I toasted at 1 autox event.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
I would just ignore the weird outlier there. It's from a dealer's DMS (management system/repair order tracker), and they aren't really reliable. Probably it was brought in for some kind of service at that mileage, and then it was never again updated in the computer.
If you hang on, it's down at the moment but tomorrow I can pull Subaru's internal DB on that car and see if there were ever any warranty claims against it (and mileage at the time of) or any other data on it. If nothing else, it will at least give me a full rundown of what is on the car and who the original owner/lessee was.
(You could also drive up to WA and buy one from me...if you're already thinking about coming up to Auburn,WA ) =)

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

Well, I ended up buying a Subaru a little sooner than I originally planned. The transmission in my Blazer is getting really bad and after talking to a couple people (and posting about it here), I decided the cost of the repair wasn't worth it. I found a pretty clean 2005 Forester XT here at a local dealer yesterday and after checking it out, I went back later and signed the papers and left a deposit. I'll pick it up tomorrow at lunchtime. I think I got a decent deal - it's about $1500 under the NADA retail value. I'm kicking myself for not checking out the 05 I saw for $9900 private party last week though.

I'm going to go through it completely next weekend and change the oil. It has 97K miles on it, but I have no idea how the previous owners treated it so I may go ahead and do the 90K service depending on how things look. I'm pretty spoiled as far as service records go - the Blazer had really well documented service records when I bought it. I may stick in a new battery too - it looks like it has the original battery in it.

The Slaughter posted:

If you hang on, it's down at the moment but tomorrow I can pull Subaru's internal DB on that car and see if there were ever any warranty claims against it (and mileage at the time of) or any other data on it. If nothing else, it will at least give me a full rundown of what is on the car and who the original owner/lessee was.
(You could also drive up to WA and buy one from me...if you're already thinking about coming up to Auburn,WA ) =)

Mind pulling the records for mine while you're at it? I'd be curious to know some of it's history.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
NP Lordofthepants.. post or PM me the last 8 digits of the VIN#.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
Sold to a lady in Salt Lake City utah 3/12/05.
At 53070 miles there was a warranty claim on that car .. 3/27/09.

=== ========================================================================
1 53070 BAB 29 241-201=1.60,244-201=.30 190 FOUND OIL LAKING FROM LOWER
PARTOF OIL PUMP, REMOVED TIMING BELT AND OIL PUMP, OIL PUMP O-RING NOT
SEATINGVERY WELL, CAUSING A LEAK, CLEARD OFF ALL OLD 3 BOND, REPLACED
O-RING AND CARNK SEAL, INSTALLED ALL RE
LATED PARTS, RAN CAR AND TEST DROVE- RECHECKED VERFIED REPAIR.

It was about a $350 repair. Probably just something minor??

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever

LordOfThePants posted:

The 2.9% financing term needs a 700+ equifax or transunion auto beacon fico II.
The term depends on which car... Impreza/STI is 72 months.
Some Outbacks are up to 63 months. (9DA/9DB/9DC/9DD-the base, and special edition).
The Legacy 2.9% I think is up to 63 but it might be 72. I can double check if anyone is interested in the Legacy.

There is also a dealer stairstep program on the Legacy/Outback in the northwest region which has extra dealer $$$.

TeMpLaR
Jan 13, 2001

"Not A Crook"
A few months ago my STI was hit by a plow, now it was broken into at a tow yard! They cut my negative battery cable, scratched my door and the molding with a slim jim, and unplugged my horn. They didn't steal my carputer, they just stole an old iBook in the backseat. This car is cursed.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
I hate to turn this in to the "my subaru got hosed" thread, but I hit the infamous engine knock problem on my 09 WRX this morning. As I pulled in to the parking lot where I work the car started making this exact noise...

http://wrx265.com/2008/12/13/is-the-car-engine-toast/

This guy had to get his whole engine replaced, I imagine mine will have to be replaced too. I got it flatbedded to the dealership right after it started, but they wont be able to tell me anything until tomorrow. I broke in the engine properly and I've been following the scheduled maintenance religiously; I had just gotten over 6000 miles on it this weekend.

Any idea what a warranty claim of this magnitude will do to the resale value of the car?

This sucks :(

dayman
Mar 12, 2009

Is it a yes, or...
And another one bites the dust...

This thread will probably have your answer.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1648372

Sorry to hear about your loss, man, it always sucks when your car needs repairs...even those covered under warranty.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever

GravityDaemon posted:

Any idea what a warranty claim of this magnitude will do to the resale value of the car?

This sucks :(

Honestly, 99% of anybody buying the car from you in the future would ever know unless they had a buddy who can get into Subarunet.
I had a customer who bought an 09 WRX who had the same issue, no questions asked, Subaru had nearby a bunch of 09 WRX crated motors (... I guess they had heard about this.) and dropped a new crate engine in there for him. Think of it like this - Unfortunately you have to break the car in, but you have a new 0 mile engine instead of a 6k one. :D :D :D

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Yeah I've calmed down significantly since it happened, and hopefully the dealer will also be cool about it. I have all of my paperwork and the car is totally stock, down to the tires I just switched back to (yesterday!). It's gonna be lame driving my girlfriend's slushbox Camry for a bit, but like you said, new engine :)

I guess this is more of a general question, but does anybody know if you get your odometer reset for something like this? I dug around NASIOC but I couldn't find anything there.

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

Picked up my 05 Forester XT today at lunch - it has the 6 disc changer in it but I know that I'm eventually going to miss my Aux IN jack from the Sony head unit I had in my old car.

It looks like I have a couple of options. Has anyone used the Jazzy iPod interface? Do I even need it? I found some info on the 04's that makes it sound like I could build a cable to plug into the back of the factory head unit and just use a silent CD in the changer for that input.

I'd much prefer that to the $100 Jazzy kit, but if that's my only option for a hardwired AUX in, that'll have to do.

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD

GravityDaemon posted:

I guess this is more of a general question, but does anybody know if you get your odometer reset for something like this? I dug around NASIOC but I couldn't find anything there.

No. The odometer is never reset. Even if you get a new odometer, the odometer is not adjusted. What usually happens there is a plate/label is affixed to the car detailing the mileage of the car when the odometer was replaced. The best you can do if you're looking to document it is note it in the service records - if possible get a printout of the official subaru history showing the service.

burtonos
Aug 17, 2004

...and the angel did say, "go forth, and lay waste to all who oppose you"
Well, I put the whiteline ALK on my 04 sti, and then drove it to Florida and back. 2 days down, 22 hours back(loving Atlanta :argh:).

2 things about the car:
1. It's loving amazing for blasting down the highway.
2. Everyone hates it.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

ab0z posted:

No. The odometer is never reset. Even if you get a new odometer, the odometer is not adjusted. What usually happens there is a plate/label is affixed to the car detailing the mileage of the car when the odometer was replaced. The best you can do if you're looking to document it is note it in the service records - if possible get a printout of the official subaru history showing the service.

Ah, thanks for the tip. I thought it would be a little weird to roll back the odometer as the rest of the car still has that mileage on it. I'll definitely be requesting all the stupid paperwork I can get when I pick it up.

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

Scientifically proven to be more fuel efficient than hybrids!

LordOfThePants posted:

Picked up my 05 Forester XT today at lunch - it has the 6 disc changer in it but I know that I'm eventually going to miss my Aux IN jack from the Sony head unit I had in my old car.

It looks like I have a couple of options. Has anyone used the Jazzy iPod interface? Do I even need it? I found some info on the 04's that makes it sound like I could build a cable to plug into the back of the factory head unit and just use a silent CD in the changer for that input.

I'd much prefer that to the $100 Jazzy kit, but if that's my only option for a hardwired AUX in, that'll have to do.

The Jazzy kit is nice, I've had it in my two past Subarus and my current WRX. That being said, I've just bought an 07 WRX/STi head unit with factory aux-in and the ability to play MP3 CDS, if you look you can find them for under $200, and it will fit in your Forester.

The Slaughter
Jan 28, 2002

cat scratch fever
Your odometer/gauge cluster won't be touched, as previously mentioned. You will get a copy of a repair order saying "Warranty work- replaced engine bla bla bla" and it will have your mileage on there.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

GravityDaemon posted:

Yeah I've calmed down significantly since it happened, and hopefully the dealer will also be cool about it. I have all of my paperwork and the car is totally stock, down to the tires I just switched back to (yesterday!). It's gonna be lame driving my girlfriend's slushbox Camry for a bit, but like you said, new engine :)

They should probably give you a loaner.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

nm posted:

They should probably give you a loaner.

I agree! Once I find out what they think and how long they think it'll take I'll ask them about it. Can't imagine it'll be much fun to drive but at least I wont have to inconvenience anyone by taking their car.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So...

One of the local dealers has a 2005 WRX with 33K miles listed at $14,599. I took it for a drive today and good lord was I impressed. I've primarily driven FWD sedans or RWD suvs so having so much feel for the road and such response was I must say shocking. I've never been so impressed with with a car so quickly. I think I'm smitten. And between tax returns, and selling a project car added to some savings I potentially have about $7,000 to throw at a car.

Now is there anything I should look for in this model year? Issues, problems etc? I'm not dead set on this car but it's certainly taken the lead in my car search.

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

At the risk of starting a lengthy discussion on oil, when I change the oil this weekend should I go synthetic or regular oil in my Forester XT? I have no idea what's in it now.

Lando
Sep 15, 2003

by T. Finn

LordOfThePants posted:

At the risk of starting a lengthy discussion on oil, when I change the oil this weekend should I go synthetic or regular oil in my Forester XT? I have no idea what's in it now.

I use Royal Purple in my 07 WRX. Give it 4-5000 miles between changes and I'm happy. Really up to you. I'm pretty sure most use synthetic that is a bit more expensive then the cheapest you can find.

AMSOIL!!!!

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

Lando posted:

I use Royal Purple in my 07 WRX. Give it 4-5000 miles between changes and I'm happy. Really up to you. I'm pretty sure most use synthetic that is a bit more expensive then the cheapest you can find.

AMSOIL!!!!

One of the guys at work is an Amsoil dealer - I'll have to see what kind of price he can get me on their 5W-30. $8-9/quart is quite a jump from conventional oil - the $50 DIY oilchange is going to take some getting used to.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....
IIRC - The Legacy guys love Castrol Syntec. Many Blackstone results have been favorable and people seem pretty happy, but that's mostly heresy. It was enough to push me to it after I bought my 08 LGT and steer me away from Mobil 1.

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma
I use Wal-Mart Supertech "synthetic" every 3000 miles and have absolutely no evidence that's a good decision. I WILL still suggest that to you because its cheap, is likely a well refined base stock, and I don't think its a good idea to run oil for longer than 3000 miles because of how dirty it will get.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

Rhyno posted:

So...

One of the local dealers has a 2005 WRX with 33K miles listed at $14,599. I took it for a drive today and good lord was I impressed. I've primarily driven FWD sedans or RWD suvs so having so much feel for the road and such response was I must say shocking. I've never been so impressed with with a car so quickly. I think I'm smitten. And between tax returns, and selling a project car added to some savings I potentially have about $7,000 to throw at a car.

Now is there anything I should look for in this model year? Issues, problems etc? I'm not dead set on this car but it's certainly taken the lead in my car search.
See if you can find an 06 WRX or Saab 9-2X and drive that. The 2.5 turbo is so much nicer to daily drive than the 2.0.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

Got an update from my dealership - the engine will have to be replaced, and they've ordered a long block (Im not sure what they meant by that, anyone care to elaborate?) and it should be put in by next week. I'll be picking up a loaner tomorrow night for my troubles. When I actually talk to them face to face I'd like to get a real run down of what actually happened.

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

I can't seem to get an audio confirmation that my doors lock - the back of the key fob (teardrop shape) says to hit unlock, then hold both lock and unlock for two seconds to enable/disable it, but it doesn't seem to do anything. Is there some way to disable it completely that's turned on maybe?

ab0z
Jun 28, 2008

by angerbotSD

GravityDaemon posted:

Got an update from my dealership - the engine will have to be replaced, and they've ordered a long block (Im not sure what they meant by that, anyone care to elaborate?) and it should be put in by next week. I'll be picking up a loaner tomorrow night for my troubles. When I actually talk to them face to face I'd like to get a real run down of what actually happened.

"Longblock" means the block, rotating assembly, and heads. They will move all your accessories (alternator, AC, PS, etc) over to the new engine.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

ab0z posted:

"Longblock" means the block, rotating assembly, and heads. They will move all your accessories (alternator, AC, PS, etc) over to the new engine.

Ah, thank you. I love to drive but I know nothing about how this poo poo works.

atomicfire
Jul 22, 2008
Yep, longblock is rotating assembly with heads, shortblock is usually just the rotating assembly and the block itself.

atomicfire
Jul 22, 2008

LordOfThePants posted:

I can't seem to get an audio confirmation that my doors lock - the back of the key fob (teardrop shape) says to hit unlock, then hold both lock and unlock for two seconds to enable/disable it, but it doesn't seem to do anything. Is there some way to disable it completely that's turned on maybe?

Make sure valet mode isn't on (check the manual) if it isn't on and you're sure you have the audio confirmation turned on, it's probably the beeper that died. It's a common problem, only fix is to replace the beeper

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

atomicfire posted:

Make sure valet mode isn't on (check the manual) if it isn't on and you're sure you have the audio confirmation turned on, it's probably the beeper that died. It's a common problem, only fix is to replace the beeper

Looks like I've got a bad beeper then - I'll have to track down a part number for it and replace it.

Actually while I'm in there I might replace the horn too. It's sort of embarrassing-sounding for such a fun car.

With 97K miles, I know I'm not near the timing belt interval but I've got a week of vacation scheduled and I may just go ahead and do it (since by the time I hit 105K it'll probably be the dead of winter and cold as gently caress).

ChunksNensja
Sep 29, 2004

When in doubt, power it out.

GravityDaemon posted:

Longblock means everything but the up-pipe and turbo will be replaced. The Subaru long motors usually come with all the accessories already fitted as the motors are usually bench tested before being shipped. Should come with a brand new clutch too.

LordOfThePants posted:

Try hitting lock 5 times. Wait for the lights to flash before each press.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Oil:

Use a synthetic with the appropriate weight for your usage. Harder use and higher temperatures requires a thicker oil. 0W-30, 5-30, 0-40, or 5-40 etc are all fine for street use. For a track days we use 15-50. If you want to really get anal about things, install oil pressure and temp gauges and send oil in for analysis.

Everything I know says that 5-30 mobil one is perfectly fine, and yet there is doubt and all sorts of trash talk and claimed spun bearings because of it. So whatever I won't use that oil. Personally I use rotella 5-40.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
So I went to Putnam Park this weekend with the station wagon.
Bagged me an F360 on r-comps.

It may or may not have been raining

Click here for the full 799x535 image.

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

Scientifically proven to be more fuel efficient than hybrids!
Nice shot, makes me miss mine that much more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bung
Dec 14, 2004

I'm in Santiago Chile right now and I've seen more Subarus here than I have in the States.

I have an 09 WRX and I have noticed that when I accelerate in higher gears, getting on the highway for instance, I feel a bit of surging. I assume that this is normal due to workings of the AWD system.