Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose Pointero
Feb 16, 2004

We're not just doing this for money. We're doing it for a SHITLOAD of money!

Jose Pointero fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Aug 28, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mwdan
Feb 7, 2004

Webbed Blobs
Haven't been doing much lately. That National I got took a crap on me, and I wasn't about to try and fix it up. I don't have the time or money for that, so I talked to our local radio collector, and got a yaesu ft-767gx with 2m module in it from him.

I just need this drat cold, windy, snowy weather to finally leave so I can get my dipole strung up between some trees. I can hear pretty well for the way its up, but I can't get out for poo poo.

So, Ive just been listening as of late. Speaking of which, I found something odd on 248.6 Khz. Don't know if it's a beacon, or what, but it just repeats "WG" or, "'", depending on how you interpret it, in morse followed by a steady tone.

E: ah ha, I finally figured out the magic google words to find it. I've spent 3 days wondering what this is. It's the Non Directional Beacon for the Winnipeg, MB airport.

mwdan fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Mar 27, 2009

jeremiah johnson
Nov 3, 2007
Does anyone recognize this noise I picked up on VHF in Central Jersey?

Be warned its pretty loud.

mwdan
Feb 7, 2004

Webbed Blobs
probably packet radio/digital of some sort, I'd guess, since it sounds like a modem almost

McRib Sandwich
Aug 4, 2006
I am a McRib Sandwich
Man, it would be nice if I could tune around on the ham bands without immediately hearing some stereotypical poo poo... but of course I catch a QSO on 14.275 USB between two guys talking about the number of guns they have, and how one of them enjoys taking part in some CQB airsoft-sounding BS

HAM RADIO

Anyway, I should get serious about getting on the air this spring. I'd love to try some digital modes sometime down the line. What are all you HF nerds up to?

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

McRib Sandwich posted:

Man, it would be nice if I could tune around on the ham bands without immediately hearing some stereotypical poo poo... but of course I catch a QSO on 14.275 USB between two guys talking about the number of guns they have, and how one of them enjoys taking part in some CQB airsoft-sounding BS

HAM RADIO
Heh, that's all they were talking about? That's pretty tame for 14.275. (Of course, I like to listen to the Possum retards on 3938 at night, so v:shobon:v )

McRib Sandwich posted:

Anyway, I should get serious about getting on the air this spring. I'd love to try some digital modes sometime down the line. What are all you HF nerds up to?
Trying to figure out why my magnetic loop has an infinite SWR... :sigh:

Radnor
Dec 11, 2002

Octoparrot is watching you.

jeremiah johnson posted:

Does anyone recognize this noise I picked up on VHF in Central Jersey?

Be warned its pretty loud.

Reminds me of the noise pagers would make. Used to hear it all the time when scanning around frequencies in the late 90s.

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

McRib Sandwich posted:

HAM RADIO

Usually I'm playing with digital modes. At the moment I'm annoyed because I can here Europe very well but can't work them do to it being on the low end of 40m. :unsmith:

Prince of Dicks
Sep 9, 2003

eat shit sexhavers
I'm studying for my tech license and from what I've read in this thread it looks like just about all the HTs from Icom and Yaesu are pretty good? I'm leaning toward getting the VX-8R as my first radio, or the Icom IC-91A/IC-91AD (not sure if I should spring for the D-Star), and the Icom IC-92AD. Anyone have an experience with any of them?

As a sidenote we use Kenwood packsets for railroad work, and although their range is only about 1.5 miles under great terrain conditions and they're bigger and heavier than HTs I can't tell you how many times I've dropped it off the side of engines/cars and it keeps working. The only repair I've needed was a new beetle switch for the PTT key (still worked just didn't give you the tactile feedback of pushing it in and releasing it).

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

Prince of Dicks posted:

I'm studying for my tech license and from what I've read in this thread it looks like just about all the HTs from Icom and Yaesu are pretty good? I'm leaning toward getting the VX-8R as my first radio, or the Icom IC-91A/IC-91AD (not sure if I should spring for the D-Star), and the Icom IC-92AD. Anyone have an experience with any of them?
Several people in the thread have VX-7R/VX-8Rs, and IIRC they seem to like them quite a bit. Actually, all the HTs you list are good, they all have good reviews over at eHam.

Personally, I'd only think about getting the D-Star if there's a repeater or a group of people already using it on 2M/70cm in your area; most D-Star activity is on 23cm (1200 MHz), which both of those HTs don't cover.

Prince of Dicks
Sep 9, 2003

eat shit sexhavers
What exactly is D-Star? The guy at the local radio shop explained it to me but I've forgotten; it sounded like something that could grow in the future though.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

Prince of Dicks posted:

What exactly is D-Star? The guy at the local radio shop explained it to me but I've forgotten; it sounded like something that could grow in the future though.
It's basically a digital radio mode that can carry voice, data, or both, depending on the bandwidth.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D-STAR

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
Yet, It's a shame that d-star doesn't use speex instead of that proprietary protocol.

cvisors
Sep 24, 2003
Carnage Visors
Sugartime Jones

Sniep posted:

Yet, It's a shame that d-star doesn't use speex instead of that proprietary protocol.

That's my big issue with D-star, and why I won't use it. It concerns me that the closed nature of protocol isn't covered by any of the advertising stuff put out by icom, and even just brushed over in some of the icom presentations about the protocol.

McRib Sandwich
Aug 4, 2006
I am a McRib Sandwich

Prince of Dicks posted:

Like nmfree said, D-Star is sort of a non-starter if you're not in an area where it's already being used on the frequencies that those HTs can talk on, so definitely keep that in mind. There's a D-Star repeater in my area, but I suspect it's in the 23cm band, and I have no idea how many people use it. It's probably RACES- / ARES-geared, anyway. Right now, I don't think D-Star is worth paying more for an HT with the capability.

As for the rigs you mentioned. The VX-8R is packed to the gills with features, and has a price to match that. Initial reviews of the radio have been pretty favorable. If you want 80% of the features in a slightly older radio, the 7R still gives you four TX bands, dual simultaneous receive, waterproofing, and super-wide receive coverage for a lower price. What you get in the 8R for the extra cost is the ability to do APRS (GPS speaker-mic not included), bluetooth headsets, and some other bells and whistles.

I own the 7R and I really like it. I've played with the 8R and it seems like another solid Yaesu radio. I'm also a big fan of the simplicity of the FT-60R, and its rock-bottom price doesn't hurt at all. The Icom T7H is a comparable rig to the 60R, and is a staple in a lot of radio clubs. Both are cheap, durable, and get the job done.

The bottom line: If you're a gadget nerd, look at any of the Yaesu 6R, 7R, 8R models and also the Kenwood TH-F6A. I'd recommend comparable Icom radios if I knew their product lines better, but I don't. If you want a great no-nonsense dual-band HT, look at the Yaesu FT-60R and the Icom T7H (bearing in mind that the T7H "Sport" edition doesn't come with a rechargeable battery, it's BYOB).

Prince of Dicks
Sep 9, 2003

eat shit sexhavers

McRib Sandwich posted:

Like nmfree said, D-Star is sort of a non-starter if you're not in an area where it's already being used on the frequencies that those HTs can talk on, so definitely keep that in mind. There's a D-Star repeater in my area, but I suspect it's in the 23cm band, and I have no idea how many people use it. It's probably RACES- / ARES-geared, anyway. Right now, I don't think D-Star is worth paying more for an HT with the capability.

As for the rigs you mentioned. The VX-8R is packed to the gills with features, and has a price to match that. Initial reviews of the radio have been pretty favorable. If you want 80% of the features in a slightly older radio, the 7R still gives you four TX bands, dual simultaneous receive, waterproofing, and super-wide receive coverage for a lower price. What you get in the 8R for the extra cost is the ability to do APRS (GPS speaker-mic not included), bluetooth headsets, and some other bells and whistles.

I own the 7R and I really like it. I've played with the 8R and it seems like another solid Yaesu radio. I'm also a big fan of the simplicity of the FT-60R, and its rock-bottom price doesn't hurt at all. The Icom T7H is a comparable rig to the 60R, and is a staple in a lot of radio clubs. Both are cheap, durable, and get the job done.

The bottom line: If you're a gadget nerd, look at any of the Yaesu 6R, 7R, 8R models and also the Kenwood TH-F6A. I'd recommend comparable Icom radios if I knew their product lines better, but I don't. If you want a great no-nonsense dual-band HT, look at the Yaesu FT-60R and the Icom T7H (bearing in mind that the T7H "Sport" edition doesn't come with a rechargeable battery, it's BYOB).

The price isn't an issue for me on the 8R--I've seen it online for $369. The APRS/GPS stuff is really interesting to me, something I might want to get into later on this year. Also it has a barometer which is neat as well. The upgradeability of the 8R is really what caught my eye.

Are there any stores online anyone recommends or that I should avoid? I know in photography there are tons of places out of NYC that are masters of the bait and switch, is the ham radio retail world the same way or are they all pretty legit?

invision
Mar 2, 2009

I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH RAPE LAST TIME, MAY I HAVE SOME MORE?
Heres a question: I'm a USAF Radio Maintainer, which means I get to play with cool poo poo like and . I'm not sure if being a radio tech in the military gives me any "Advantage" in getting my ham license, and it would be cool if someone could clear that up for me. [i.e. since i can clearly use a radio, do i get to skip the test and have them just hand me a license? etc etc]

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

invision posted:

Heres a question: I'm a USAF Radio Maintainer, which means I get to play with cool poo poo like and . I'm not sure if being a radio tech in the military gives me any "Advantage" in getting my ham license, and it would be cool if someone could clear that up for me. [i.e. since i can clearly use a radio, do i get to skip the test and have them just hand me a license? etc etc]
You still have to take the tests, but with your background the electronics/theory stuff will be a piece of cake. All you'll probably have to learn is the rules/operating practices material, which is pretty easy anyway.

mwdan
Feb 7, 2004

Webbed Blobs
Got my dipole strung today, and made a few contacts on the contest thats going on. At least I'm getting out now. I was barely getting out 100 miles the way I had it setup before, and I worked Nevada, British Colombia, and NY state today. Might be fun to try to setup an HF Hamgoon net.

McRib Sandwich
Aug 4, 2006
I am a McRib Sandwich

Prince of Dicks posted:

Are there any stores online anyone recommends or that I should avoid? I know in photography there are tons of places out of NYC that are masters of the bait and switch, is the ham radio retail world the same way or are they all pretty legit?

Ham Radio Outlet, Amateur Electronic Supply, Gigaparts, and Universal Radio are all well-respected dealers in the US. I've personally ordered from HRO and AES and have had no problems with either company. If you do end up getting the 8R, keep in mind that it's still in high demand since it just hit the street a couple months ago, and dealers are having a hard time keeping them on the shelves.

Goob
Jul 10, 2001

The M-1 does my talking.
I've decided to take the plunge and become a ham. I've been working my way through the ARRL Technician License Book, but I was wondering if it's worth it to go for the General Class license right off. Are the General class portions significantly harder than the Technician test?

HFX
Nov 29, 2004

Goob posted:

I've decided to take the plunge and become a ham. I've been working my way through the ARRL Technician License Book, but I was wondering if it's worth it to go for the General Class license right off. Are the General class portions significantly harder than the Technician test?

You need to pass the Technician first before you can take the general. However, you can take both in the same test session. The general is not that much harder, but includes a bit more material and starts a bit of theory. It will be harder then the technician but is doable. It will also include information related to the HF frequencies.

HFX fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Mar 30, 2009

Radnor
Dec 11, 2002

Octoparrot is watching you.

Goob posted:

Use these study guides and you'll pass Tech & General with no problems.

http://kb6nu.com/tech-manual/

Prince of Dicks
Sep 9, 2003

eat shit sexhavers
At my apartmant, I have a patio about 8 or 9 feet tall, 5 feet deep and 8 or 9 feet wide bordered by walls on both sides (so only one side is open and there another building 25 feet away or so. I don't think you're supposed to have externally mounted antennas but putting one on the patio shouldn't be a problem. What are my options for DXing with limited space?

TNLTRPB
May 11, 2007
RFCs 1459, 2810-2813 FTW

Prince of Dicks posted:

The APRS/GPS stuff is really interesting to me, something I might want to get into later on this year.

Before everyone here talks you out of getting a digital radio, you should know that many of the DSTAR rigs natively support GPS, and it's nicely integrated into the DSTAR protocol as well. I can't personally recommend any handheld DSTAR units (I'm partial to P25 myself), but I do have several friends that own Icom 2820H radios with the digital modules. They absolutely love it, and the digital quality is amazing.

I will agree with the others here in that if your area isn't covered by a VHF/UHF DSTAR repeater, it might be a good option to wait before investing in the digital equipment (though luckily most of Icom's digital radios come with the option to purchase the DSP board separately from the radio, and install it yourself at a later date).

This seems to be a fairly accurate representation of the digital repeaters around: http://www.d-starusers.org/repeaters.php

If you're wondering what DSTAR sounds like, there are a couple of examples on this page (plus various others around the internet): http://k8arw.org/D-Star

HFX
Nov 29, 2004
Jose Pointero (KE5SRZ) and I (KD5TFR) completed the first goon QSO on HF. We had to fight some QRM on Jose's side. Contact was made 7234.973 SSB Phone. There was some discussion about about radio to be found. We are currently going to try 75M phone.

Edit: Added calls. Also 75 meter is a major fail.

HFX fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Apr 5, 2009

Jose Pointero
Feb 16, 2004

Jose Pointero fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Aug 28, 2019

Jose Pointero
Feb 16, 2004

Jose Pointero fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Aug 28, 2019

Goob
Jul 10, 2001

The M-1 does my talking.
Arise thread!

I took my Technician exam today and passed it with a 100%. When I turned it in, the VEC's said I could take the General exam right then for free. I went ahead and took the General exam even though I hadn't studied it at all. I barely passed it. Now I get to :f5: the FCC ULS Database waiting for my callsign to show up.

mwdan
Feb 7, 2004

Webbed Blobs
congrats! The waiting is the hardest part, you just can't wait to get on the air.

Goob
Jul 10, 2001

The M-1 does my talking.
Waiting will be even longer for me, I haven't bought any equipment yet.

mwdan
Feb 7, 2004

Webbed Blobs
well, once you get your call, you could at least run EchoLink.

Phuzion
Jun 30, 2006

LAN Parties 4 Lyfe!
My club's advisor just loaned me an Icom IC-W32A handheld, and a Heath FM Twin Bander HW24. Now I've just got to finish studying for this, and take the tests. I'm listening in on some local repeaters right now, which is pretty interesting. I can't wait to get my license though. Hope to see you guys on the air soon.

Question though. When I put the Icom into scan mode, it stops at a few frequencies on the .00 mark, with some weird noise. For example, it stops at 152.00 every time it goes around. Any idea what it's picking up? For reference, I'm in Summit County, Ohio, outside of Akron.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

Phuzion posted:

Question though. When I put the Icom into scan mode, it stops at a few frequencies on the .00 mark, with some weird noise. For example, it stops at 152.00 every time it goes around. Any idea what it's picking up?
Paging systems of various types, mostly. For instance, the hospitals here still use VHF-based voice/data paging in and around their buildings.

yoloer420
May 19, 2006
Due to some good luck with a situation at work I'm in the position to obtain an amateur radio license (all of them) on the company dollar / company time. As the majority of my work is currently in the area of GPS simulation and this will hopefully help to firm up my understanding of radio technology.

I've been looking into the licensing requirements in Australia on the WIA (Wireless Institute of Australia).

There are three grades of license available: Foundation, Standard & Advanced. I'm looking to get all three of these licenses as quickly as possible. For each of these licenses they mention a multiple choice test and a course, however it doesn't appear that they verify that you have indeed taken the course at any point.

Does anyone here know if the courses are mandatory or can I just take the tests?

Any advice would be much appreciated!

EDIT: If anyone knows of good test banks/guides to help me pass the tests are available that would be very helpful, I haven't been able to find much on the Australian tests :(

yoloer420 fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Apr 21, 2009

mwdan
Feb 7, 2004

Webbed Blobs
You need to get in touch with Cvisors. I'm pretty sure she's in australia

HFX
Nov 29, 2004
Whohoo. More hams for the airwaves.

The guys around me are apparently getting into 900 mhz. They are buying up Motorolla radios which can be modified simply by doing a reprogramming. This should be a lot of fun as we soon all move towards becoming blind.

Goob
Jul 10, 2001

The M-1 does my talking.
Woo, I got my call: KJ4LHZ. Although, I'm thinking I'm going to go for a vanity callsign and get my grandfather's old callsign.

Drano
Dec 21, 2004

BEST at removing tough clogs!
Another new ticket checking in, KD8KMI

Wanted to say thanks to all the ham goons for the great thread - made studying a breeze and will for general too.

Picked up a VX-8R (+GPS) from Universal (20 minute drive, lucky me) and have been playing around with it and picking up lots of chatter on 2m.

That said, I'm a bit nervous about making my first TX - any advice? I think a basic script and identifying myself as a n00b will help but figure I'd ask.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

Phuzion posted:

Question though. When I put the Icom into scan mode, it stops at a few frequencies on the .00 mark, with some weird noise. For example, it stops at 152.00 every time it goes around. Any idea what it's picking up? For reference, I'm in Summit County, Ohio, outside of Akron.

As mentioned, those are almost certainly pagers at that frequency.

You should get hold of the bandplans and then you'll be able to look quickly.