Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
confusion2005
Jan 16, 2005

by Tiny Fistpump

Super Dude posted:

It still requires opening iTunes.

Thats the good part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew
What can I buy to use as a microphone for my ipod?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Newsweek has an interesting article about the U.S. military's use of the iPhone and iPod Touch.

The Dark Project
Jun 25, 2007

Give it to me straight...
edit: Nevermind... It seems you can't quickpwn a second gen

The Dark Project fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Apr 20, 2009

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

The Dark Project posted:

edit: Nevermind... It seems you can't quickpwn a second gen

Are you trying to jailbreak it?

If so, just use this. It takes about 2 minutes of input from you and you have a jailbroken ipod.

Super Dude fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Apr 20, 2009

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

I'm convinced that the 2g jailbreak is still unstable. Even without backgrounding anything, I get random app quits, especially in Safari, constantly. The few people I know who did it have all gone back to the original firmware.

Also, my screen is broken again and this time it's my fault :(

Starhawk
Mar 28, 2003

I am leaking dangerous cargo.

Super Dude posted:

What can I buy to use as a microphone for my ipod?

I just got this, and think it's a great little gadget

http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/smarttalk

it's a cell phone style cord mic, but still let's me use my good headphones.

has worked so far on my 2G

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

GWBBQ posted:

I'm convinced that the 2g jailbreak is still unstable. Even without backgrounding anything, I get random app quits, especially in Safari, constantly. The few people I know who did it have all gone back to the original firmware.

I haven't had any of those problems. Maybe I'm just lucky.

Protip
Sep 24, 2002

I am the Walrus.

GWBBQ posted:

I haven't experienced any of these issues either. I love my jailbroken 2g touch!

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
My jailbroken 2g touch is rock solid. Haven't had Safari randomly quit ever.

Maybe you should do a complete factory wipe/restore to the stock firmware and then re-jailbreak. Maybe something you installed from Cydia did something bad. If you still have issues after that, maybe your hardware is flaky.

The Dark Project
Jun 25, 2007

I think I have mine jailbroken with quickfreedom, but since I haven't downloaded anything but apps from the itunes store, I am unsure. I will have to check it out when I get back from being on a minesite.

Whats the best apps to put on it to test if its actually working right? I will also check the app megathread, but I don't have much time to do so while I am on site.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

The Dark Project posted:

I think I have mine jailbroken with quickfreedom, but since I haven't downloaded anything but apps from the itunes store, I am unsure. I will have to check it out when I get back from being on a minesite.

Whats the best apps to put on it to test if its actually working right? I will also check the app megathread, but I don't have much time to do so while I am on site.
To test what? That the jailbreak worked? If you can open Cydia, you're jailbroken and it's working.

If you're jailbroken and haven't bothered with any of the cool apps, why bother jailbreaking it?

Hotdog Farmer
Sep 12, 2005

But seriously, grow some balls.

xamphear posted:

To test what? That the jailbreak worked? If you can open Cydia, you're jailbroken and it's working.

If you're jailbroken and haven't bothered with any of the cool apps, why bother jailbreaking it?

So what are some of the cooler apps you'd recommend from cydia? I've got my ipod jailbroken and all that and have yet to use any of the features afforded by it. I don't know really where to start.

Protip
Sep 24, 2002

I am the Walrus.

I asked this in the apps thread, but figured I'd ask here as well since there are many other ipod touch owners in this thread.

Is anyone aware of any apps for the ipod touch that allow you to save different maps and driving directions (I do have a jailbroken touch if there are unofficial apps). While I know I can load up a map using the built in app while at home I'd love to be able to keep multiple sets of directions and maps for future trips, and not have to worry about finding random wireless networks when looking to take a new set of directions with me.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

Protip posted:

I asked this in the apps thread, but figured I'd ask here as well since there are many other ipod touch owners in this thread.

Is anyone aware of any apps for the ipod touch that allow you to save different maps and driving directions (I do have a jailbroken touch if there are unofficial apps). While I know I can load up a map using the built in app while at home I'd love to be able to keep multiple sets of directions and maps for future trips, and not have to worry about finding random wireless networks when looking to take a new set of directions with me.

There is an app called OfflineMaps on Cydia but I've never used it.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Hotdog Farmer posted:

So what are some of the cooler apps you'd recommend from cydia? I've got my ipod jailbroken and all that and have yet to use any of the features afforded by it. I don't know really where to start.
Someone asked this exact question a page or two ago and I answered it. Read back a few pages.

Hotdog Farmer
Sep 12, 2005

xamphear posted:

Someone asked this exact question a page or two ago and I answered it. Read back a few pages.

You named Backgrounder (which I've been using since I jailbroke) and a last.fm app.

I was just fairly certain I could get a few more recommendations from a few other people on here.

I don't use last.fm but backgrounder is very useful.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
That was just my two cents. Other people posted apps too. There's a ton of great user interface mods like 5 column dock, 5 row springboard, winterboard, clear lock screen, and so on.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew
Get SBSettings, Five Icon Dock, MobileFinder, OpenSSH, Pocket Touch, and Winterboard.

Hotdog Farmer
Sep 12, 2005

Thanks guys. I'll check into those after I get home from work tonight. :)

The Dark Project
Jun 25, 2007

xamphear posted:

I'd only bought it that day, had been stuffing around on it, and finally found out about quickfreedom. I then had to get to sleep as I was flying out early in the morning to the mine site, so I just set up all the songs I wanted to download to the ipod, as well as a few apps I had downloaded.

I am going to try out a few of the cool things I have heard about. Makes me want a wifi connection though, as I only have a cabled modem. Dammit.

Frotz is an awesome app though. Love playing text based adventures, and it makes me wish I could get the classic Magnetic Scrolls game "Guild of Thieves"

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

The Dark Project posted:

I'd only bought it that day, had been stuffing around on it, and finally found out about quickfreedom. I then had to get to sleep as I was flying out early in the morning to the mine site, so I just set up all the songs I wanted to download to the ipod, as well as a few apps I had downloaded.

I am going to try out a few of the cool things I have heard about. Makes me want a wifi connection though, as I only have a cabled modem. Dammit.

Frotz is an awesome app though. Love playing text based adventures, and it makes me wish I could get the classic Magnetic Scrolls game "Guild of Thieves"

If you have a laptop (or anything with a wireless card), you can use it to set up an ad-hoc network.

The Dark Project
Jun 25, 2007

I'll be definitely looking at getting a wireless (as well as corded modem, 2 in 1 combo if I can) or a card which will allow me to do this.

I always have had the most fun in text based games, because you rely so much on descriptions that you invent the pictures in your head of what is happening. It's brilliant.

Going to download a whole heap of them when I get back home. Definitely going to play Zork on it!

Ahh I was a fool for not getting one of these sooner!

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

The Dark Project posted:

I'll be definitely looking at getting a wireless (as well as corded modem, 2 in 1 combo if I can) or a card which will allow me to do this.

Almost every wireless router also has ethernet ports.

Blakkout
Aug 24, 2006

No thought was put into this.
I'm sure this has been addressed before, but a quick scan of the last few pages yielded nothing.

Can someone suggest an FM transmitter for my touch? I think it's a 2G, (the one right before they changed the shape to match the iPhone). I would prefer something that I can actually plug into my car and charge. I'm nervous about picking one out on my own because I bought an AC adaptor for my Touch that wouldn't work due to compatability issues, which I didn't even know existed. Is there some new software that prohibits the use of old iPod accessories with Touches?

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

Blakkout posted:

I'm sure this has been addressed before, but a quick scan of the last few pages yielded nothing.

Can someone suggest an FM transmitter for my touch? I think it's a 2G, (the one right before they changed the shape to match the iPhone). I would prefer something that I can actually plug into my car and charge. I'm nervous about picking one out on my own because I bought an AC adaptor for my Touch that wouldn't work due to compatability issues, which I didn't even know existed. Is there some new software that prohibits the use of old iPod accessories with Touches?

There are only 2 versions. The 2g has a volume rocker on the left side of the ipod, the 1g doesn't.

SnowWolf
Nov 20, 2005
Do you guys use any screen protectors that you can recommend? I just got an iPod Touch and bought some anti-glare screen protectors that were easy to put on and are really smooth, but it makes the display look all hazy :(

Do all screen protectors give this hazy, speckled look to the display or is it just because these are anti-glare?

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

SnowWolf posted:

Do you guys use any screen protectors that you can recommend? I just got an iPod Touch and bought some anti-glare screen protectors that were easy to put on and are really smooth, but it makes the display look all hazy :(

Do all screen protectors give this hazy, speckled look to the display or is it just because these are anti-glare?

I use the one included in the Best Skins Ever pack. It has the orange peel effect. Somehow I just got an air bubble under it even thought it's been on for 5 months. It's annoying but whatever.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.
I have whatever cover RadioShack sells in a two pack, and it is not noticeable after 5 months of usage.

The really thin ones are usally a pain to get on right. As in, I wasted the first one of the two pack trying to get it on.

Sub Par
Jul 18, 2001

Dinosaur Gum
I am not sure this question really belongs in here, but it certainly doesn't warrant a new thread and some googling hasn't helped me, so here goes.

I loaned my girlfriend my iPod for the weekend while she was on a trip. The iPod magically disappeared from the hotel room while she was out on Saturday. I've called the hotel, police, etc and reported it stolen. My question is, is there any way to report it stolen to Apple (I have the original box, serial number, and receipt from purchase) so that if some idiot takes it to an Apple store to reset the passcode, or if they do it themselves and then plug it into iTunes, I can get it back?

I understand that I can buy another one, and I fully intend to get one out of the Grand Hyatt, but this one had significant sentimental value and I'd really like to have it back. I tried calling Apple, waited 45 minutes on the phone, and then had to get back to work. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

Sub Par posted:

I am not sure this question really belongs in here, but it certainly doesn't warrant a new thread and some googling hasn't helped me, so here goes.

I loaned my girlfriend my iPod for the weekend while she was on a trip. The iPod magically disappeared from the hotel room while she was out on Saturday. I've called the hotel, police, etc and reported it stolen. My question is, is there any way to report it stolen to Apple (I have the original box, serial number, and receipt from purchase) so that if some idiot takes it to an Apple store to reset the passcode, or if they do it themselves and then plug it into iTunes, I can get it back?

I understand that I can buy another one, and I fully intend to get one out of the Grand Hyatt, but this one had significant sentimental value and I'd really like to have it back. I tried calling Apple, waited 45 minutes on the phone, and then had to get back to work. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

I know that this exists for laptops, but I'm not sure if it is in ipods (doubtful).

thenakedflip
Feb 22, 2005
don't they keep track of that when you register your Touch with Itunes?

berserker
Aug 17, 2003

My love for you
is ticking clock
OK quick question: I have to reformat my computer, well more to the point, I'm putting in a new HD for Windows and am keeping all my media on the older, larger HD. I'm going to have to re-install iTunes, will I have to re-do my library by dragging all those folders into iTunes again and have it re-sync all that over to my iPod again?

If that's the case, I don't really mind, but if there's a better way to do it so that I can keep extra information like ratings, smart playlists, and play counts (I like knowing sometimes how many times I've listened to what music), that would be ideal.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

berserker posted:

OK quick question: I have to reformat my computer, well more to the point, I'm putting in a new HD for Windows and am keeping all my media on the older, larger HD. I'm going to have to re-install iTunes, will I have to re-do my library by dragging all those folders into iTunes again and have it re-sync all that over to my iPod again?

If that's the case, I don't really mind, but if there's a better way to do it so that I can keep extra information like ratings, smart playlists, and play counts (I like knowing sometimes how many times I've listened to what music), that would be ideal.
This is a question for the iTunes thread in SH/SC, but here's your answer:

If you let iTunes manage your collection for you, just move the iTunes folder back into your MyDocs/MyMusic folder and it takes no effort.

If you don't let iTunes manage your music, as long as the file path and drive letter stays the same (ie: C:\music\) put the iTunes folder back like above and it takes no effort.

If the path to the files changes, you can manually fiddle with the itunes library xml file but you lose your podcast subscriptions and it's a bit of a pain.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Sub Par posted:

They do have a database of serial numbers that they can run (when I took mine in to the Apple Store to request a repair they checked it to make sure mine was still in warranty), but I searched and it doesn't seem like they'll do anything beyond that. If you file a police report you can report it to a toll-free line at Apple and they'll flag the SN, but from what I've read the most they'll do is refuse to service it if someone brings it in for repairs. Best to just do that, raise hell with Guest Relations at the hotel to get a new iPod, and move on.

TheWylie
Sep 12, 2005

by The Finn
Okay the antenna on my ipod touch is broken, anyone know where i can buy a replacement one?

Phillyt
Dec 2, 2006

by Tiny Fistpump
Does the software for Nike+ allow you to watch movies while you run or you can only have the Nike+ application open?

Blakkout
Aug 24, 2006

No thought was put into this.

Super Dude posted:

There are only 2 versions. The 2g has a volume rocker on the left side of the ipod, the 1g doesn't.

Alright, mines 1G then. Anyone have an FM transmitter they like enough to recommend for a 1G? I'm looking into two models from Monster, but I'm a little worried about compatibility.

First, this guy:
http://www.monstercable.com/productdisplay.asp?pin=3232

The page specifically says "Will not charge Nano 4G, Touch 2G, or Classic 120GB. Will still transmit audio." Which lead me to believe it was fully compatible with my 1G, but then I noticed at the bottom it says "Compatible with: iPod Nano, iPod Mini, iPod Video, iPod Photo, iPod U2,iPod 4th Gen w/click wheel, iPod 3rd Gen w/dock." Clearly the iPod Touch 1G has been left off of that list.

Secondly, I looked at this one:
http://www.monstercable.com/productdisplay.asp?pin=3029

This one has the exact same iPods listed under its compatibility section, so I initially assumed that using it with a 1G Touch was a no go. Then I read this little disclaimer at the bottom: "The following product will work with the iPhone, but with limited functionality, will only charge the iPhone. When the transmitter is connected, the iPhone will display a dialog box, that asks: would you like to turn on the Airline mode? Select Yes to assume functionality of the transmitter." They seem to be saying in the first sentence that it will only charge iPhones, and then contradicting themselves by indicating that after a dialog box it can actually transmit audio from iPhones too. I assumed that it would work about the same with a Touch as it would with an iPhone, which may not be correct.

Can anyone help me make sense of these specs? Will either of these work with my 1G Touch? I shot their customer service desk an email, but I'm not holding my breath on that one.

Blakkout fucked around with this message at 00:41 on May 4, 2009

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Tomorrow I'm going to be reformatting my hard drive and reinstalling Windows. How can I ensure that I can get all of the data from my games and apps back on my iPod after I pair it with the fresh install of iTunes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ganguro King
Jul 26, 2007

Blakkout posted:

Alright, mines 1G then. Anyone have an FM transmitter they like enough to recommend for a 1G? I'm looking into two models from Monster, but I'm a little worried about compatibility.

First, this guy:
http://www.monstercable.com/productdisplay.asp?pin=3232

The page specifically says "Will not charge Nano 4G, Touch 2G, or Classic 120GB. Will still transmit audio." Which lead me to believe it was fully compatible with my 1G, but then I noticed at the bottom it says "Compatible with: iPod Nano, iPod Mini, iPod Video, iPod Photo, iPod U2,iPod 4th Gen w/click wheel, iPod 3rd Gen w/dock." Clearly the iPod Touch 1G has been left off of that list.

Secondly, I looked at this one:
http://www.monstercable.com/productdisplay.asp?pin=3029

I would probably just pick up something cheap from dealextreme.com. In any case, Monster Cable products are almost universally considered overpriced garbage, don't buy anything from them.

• Locked thread