Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

jjack229 posted:

Maybe not a movie question, but close enough.

I have seen a few films where people's reviews talk about the films focus on the consumerism and materialism that was the 80's (American Psycho and Repo Man come to mind).

While I grew up in the 80's, I was too young to notice any extreme consumerism or materialism, and especially too young to compare it to previous decade(s).

I know that relative to other decades the 80's had horrible music, hairstyles, and clothes, but was it really that much more focused on consumerism and materialism than the 70', 90's, or now?

Look at a lot of the teen movies too, for example:

Ferris Bueller's Day Off suburban protoyuppie goes to play in the big, bwad city!

Weird Science has a rather dubious scene where another couple of suburban kids go for an adventure in the city at the jazz club.

Both these movies are totally about boys with expensive toys too.

Quite a turn around from the 60s and 70s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Criminal Minded posted:

God, I loving love Chinatown. It's got one of those plots that isn't that complicated but every time I watch it, I have to figure it out for myself all over again because there are little things that I don't remember. It's like getting to see it for the first time, every time.

Yea, its a amazing movie. Plus I love the setting of early 50s LA.

Anyways, I don't think its because materialism was created in the 80s, but more it became much more prevelent. One of the reasons American psycho is probably one of the best representations of the 80s. No one identifies each other by their personalities, but buy the watch they wear, the view from their apartments and so on.

You could be a total loser and dork, but as long as you had the right things you could be accepted.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Ape Agitator posted:

Bear in mind that we'd come out of a war, a bad economy, and were fueling rather incredible economic success driven in part by unprecedented deficit spending and a stock market explosion. Blockbusters were becoming the new mainstay of movie studios and television marketing was going into overdrive to siphon the new wealth (with kids shows tied inextricably to toy lines). And the best thing ever? Credit Cards.

Also, Reagan had come into power in America, with trickle-down economics which wanted to make the rich richer, while a similar thing was happening in the UK with Thatcher and the end of the unions and heavy industry and mining. (yes, gross oversimplifications but indicative of where society was heading).

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

I don't want to be a bitch, but I've been on a Tarentino binge this particular night. Who the poo poo is Vic Vega? Any relation to Vince Vega? Vic is Mr. Blonde from Reservoir Dogs, and as most of you know, Vince Vega is from Pulp Fiction. I am currently watching Death Proof, where the Sherriff is featured in Planet Terror, and the Sherriff and his son are featured in Death Proof as well as Kill Bill I&II.

I don't know, however, what the poo poo is going on with this Vic Vega character. He died in ResDogs, is he a brother or what?

Rake Arms
Sep 15, 2007

It's just not the same without widescreen.

clownskull posted:

I don't want to be a bitch, but I've been on a Tarentino binge this particular night. Who the poo poo is Vic Vega? Any relation to Vince Vega? Vic is Mr. Blonde from Reservoir Dogs, and as most of you know, Vince Vega is from Pulp Fiction. I am currently watching Death Proof, where the Sherriff is featured in Planet Terror, and the Sherriff and his son are featured in Death Proof as well as Kill Bill I&II.

I don't know, however, what the poo poo is going on with this Vic Vega character. He died in ResDogs, is he a brother or what?

Yes, he's Vincent Vega's brother. Tarantino was planning a "Vega Brothers" movie but it was scrapped a long time ago.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

Rake Arms posted:

Yes, he's Vincent Vega's brother. Tarantino was planning a "Vega Brothers" movie but it was scrapped a long time ago.

I shake my fist at that man with unrelenting fury! CURSE HIM!!!!

Elijya
May 11, 2005

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.

clownskull posted:

I am currently watching Death Proof, where the Sherriff is featured in Planet Terror, and the Sherriff and his son are featured in Death Proof as well as Kill Bill I&II.

Technically I think Earl McGraw, played by Michael Parks, is a Texas Ranger. The sheriff in Planet Terror, the one who kept harassing Freddy Rodriguez, is played by Michael Biehn (he of Terminator, Aliens and The Abyss fame, who always eluded stardom). McGraw also appears in From Dusk til Dawn, where he is killed (so even though it's the same character, you really can't claim it's a shared universe), so that means he's in every Rodriguez/Tarantino collaboration except Sin City.

He also pulls double duty in the Kill Bill movies as he plays McGraw in volume 1, and in volume 2 he's Esteban Vihaio, the man Uma Thurman uses to locate Bill.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

What happened to Charlie Sheen anyway? He went from movies to television sitcoms which is a step down no matter what the show is. Was it simply the hooker stuff or what?

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

muscles like this? posted:

What happened to Charlie Sheen anyway? He went from movies to television sitcoms which is a step down no matter what the show is. Was it simply the hooker stuff or what?

Cocaine abuse, hookers from Heidi Fleiss, and a shitload of bad tabloid-worthy marriages. He's a rare success story in the sense that the came back and landed on his feet on Spin City.

There's more than a few good movie actors who take TV roles (Toni Collette is doing an HBO series now, Fishburne on CSI) so it isn't quite the stigma it used to be. We benefit from better talent on camera, they benefit from being able to buy a house in LA and keep a marriage going. And producers have gotten adept at building around schedules to allow them to still get movies done.

Elijya
May 11, 2005

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.

Yes, but if I'm not mistaken, it's one of the highest rated shows on television right now, and I believe he's the highest paid actor on TV. Basically, he's the biggest fish in a slightly smaller pond. The last few films he was in were not winners. The last one I recall was The Arrival.

It's hard for actors to stay on top forever. If they're a dramatic actor and their stars start to fall, they can at least do some thoughtful independent or smaller budget films. If they're a comedic actor, they're pretty much forced to do television.

Look at Keifer. He had a huge come back with 24, but even as successful as that show has been, none of the movie gigs it's landed him have pushed him back into film stardom. Before parkinsons, Michael J. Fox was stuck doing Spin City. Gary Sinese is on CSI. Actresses have it even worse off.

Elijya fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Jan 17, 2009

incredible bear
Jul 10, 2005

doing the bear maximum

Elijya posted:

Yes, but if I'm not mistaken, it's one of the highest rated shows on television right now, and I believe he's the highest paid actor on TV.
Are you on about Two and a Half Men? If so then my general question is this: Really?

\/\/\/ :psyduck: Just when I think I understand American television, this happens.

incredible bear fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Jan 17, 2009

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

incredible bear posted:

Are you on about Two and a Half Men? If so then my general question is this: Really?
Yes, they're talking about 'Two and a Half Men' and yes, he's the highest paid actor on TV. He gets $825,000 per episode. After him is William Petersen from 'CSI' at $600,000.

The highest paid woman is Mariska Hargitay from 'Law & Order' with $400,000. After her is Kyra Sedgwick from 'The Closer' at $275,000.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7542385.stm
http://popwatch.ew.com/popwatch/2008/08/charlie-sheen-h.html

anticake
Nov 5, 2004

Biscuit Hider

incredible bear posted:

Yes really. It's a tirelessly safe sitcom on CBS. Regular people eat that poo poo up. I mention CBS because I understand their viewers skew older. Old people tend to be more conservative (not meant necessarily in a political sense). It pushes boundaries enough to keep it interesting for the viewers while not making them uncomfortable. Thus it is a huge hit with an audience not necessarily catered to by the rest of the schedule.

Rake Arms
Sep 15, 2007

Okay, so I just watched Escape From New York, and I have a question about the music.

As you may know, John Carpenter was originally set to score Planet Terror, but dropped out. Rodriguez' score is very clearly designed to reminisce Carpenter, but there's one scene where I swear the music is taken directly from Escape From New York. If I remember right, the scene where the one armed zombie attacks Josh Brolin with a bone saw. I'm pretty sure it's lifted from this sequence: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMnhPqPohZE

Can anyone verify that this is the same song? Or is Rodriguez just really accurate when imitating styles?

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Pigs are smarter than Bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Hair Elf

Crows Turn Off posted:

Yes, they're talking about 'Two and a Half Men' and yes, he's the highest paid actor on TV. He gets $825,000 per episode. After him is William Petersen from 'CSI' at $600,000.

The highest paid woman is Mariska Hargitay from 'Law & Order' with $400,000. After her is Kyra Sedgwick from 'The Closer' at $275,000.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7542385.stm
http://popwatch.ew.com/popwatch/2008/08/charlie-sheen-h.html

Mariska Hargitay doesn't get paid nearly enough. :swoon:

ubergnu
Jun 7, 2002

Failed gothic
There's a scene I've been wondering about. I've seen it spoofed several times, a closeup shoot of an agonized man (presumably an alchoholic) walking while neon sign showing bar names are floating by, brass band music playing. Did this originate from a certain movie?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

ubergnu posted:

There's a scene I've been wondering about. I've seen it spoofed several times, a closeup shoot of an agonized man (presumably an alchoholic) walking while neon sign showing bar names are floating by, brass band music playing. Did this originate from a certain movie?

Could it be from The Lost Weekend? My gut says that, but I'm not sure.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

In Baraka, what is that "chanting" called? It's the segment with these people waving around their arms in unison.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Egbert Souse posted:

In Baraka, what is that "chanting" called? It's the segment with these people waving around their arms in unison.

The monkey chant. It's not some spiritual thing though, it was made up for the tourists. It's also in The Fall.

edit: here

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Rake Arms posted:

Okay, so I just watched Escape From New York, and I have a question about the music.

As you may know, John Carpenter was originally set to score Planet Terror, but dropped out. Rodriguez' score is very clearly designed to reminisce Carpenter, but there's one scene where I swear the music is taken directly from Escape From New York. If I remember right, the scene where the one armed zombie attacks Josh Brolin with a bone saw. I'm pretty sure it's lifted from this sequence: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMnhPqPohZE

Can anyone verify that this is the same song? Or is Rodriguez just really accurate when imitating styles?

I don't have Planet Terror on hand to check, but there is definitely a few tracks taken from Carpenter movies used on the soundtrack. I know that's not a comprehensive answer, but the answer is that they're most likely the same track.

IMDB lists this on the soundtrack:

# "Back To The Pod / The Crazies Come Out"
Written by John Carpenter and Alan Howarth
Performed by John Carpenter and Alan Howarth
Courtesy of Studio/Canal

Elijya posted:

It's hard for actors to stay on top forever. If they're a dramatic actor and their stars start to fall, they can at least do some thoughtful independent or smaller budget films. If they're a comedic actor, they're pretty much forced to do television.

B-movie roles and videogame voice overs seem to beckon these days.

And of course, we're in the age of post-modernism now so all it takes is some young buck to think you're ironically cool and you're back making movies again. Having said that, it's not really fair to ever write anybody off. Brando was considered washed up before he did The Godfather, for example.

Rake Arms
Sep 15, 2007

Diligent Deadite posted:

I know that's not a comprehensive answer, but the answer is that they're most likely the same track.

IMDB lists this on the soundtrack:

# "Back To The Pod / The Crazies Come Out"
Written by John Carpenter and Alan Howarth
Performed by John Carpenter and Alan Howarth
Courtesy of Studio/Canal

So it is! Thanks!

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

This space is reserved for future considerations.
I just recalled watching a cartoon film in elementary school that was somewhat disturbing, and was trying to figure out what it was: it's basically about a cat trying to chase away/kill a snake that is trying to get into the crib of a baby. The film takes place in a falling apart house/mansion, none of the animals talk, and I think all of the humans are seen from the waist or chest down, or obscured from the back.

Edit: And yes, I know it's an old thread, but there's really no other place for this and it doesn't need it's own thread.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

timeandtide posted:

I just recalled watching a cartoon film in elementary school that was somewhat disturbing, and was trying to figure out what it was: it's basically about a cat trying to chase away/kill a snake that is trying to get into the crib of a baby. The film takes place in a falling apart house/mansion, none of the animals talk, and I think all of the humans are seen from the waist or chest down, or obscured from the back.

Edit: And yes, I know it's an old thread, but there's really no other place for this and it doesn't need it's own thread.

Isn't that Riki tiki tavi or something? And its a Mongoose fending off a Corba I think? A Kipling story i think.

jet sanchEz
Oct 24, 2001

Lousy Manipulative Dog
Chuck Jones did it and it is amazing. He also did The White Seal, a great story about a seal cub surviving the annual seal slaughter, also a Kipling story, I believe. Both flicks are on Youtube and/or Google Video.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

jet sanchEz posted:

Chuck Jones did it and is amazing.

This is all you really needed to say.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
The White Seal used to give me nightmares as a child, the hammerhead shark is terrifying.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!

Was Charlie Sheen ever that big to begin with?

Yeah there's Platoon, but he wasn't very good in it to begin with. Virtually everything else on his resume is some parody or action movie that ranges from terrible to kinda okay as long as you're really high.

The fact that he still has namebrand recognition twenty years later is more than he can rightfully ask for.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
Don't forget Wall Street and 80s staples like Major League and Young Guns. But what really kept his career alive was swooping in on Michael J. Fox's shadow on Spin City.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

timeandtide posted:

There is actually a thread dedicated to these questions called "Identify a movie for me 2: identify harder"
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2177344

ayb
Sep 12, 2003
Kills Drifters for erections
My Cinema class this week has a couple of assignments for us.

We have to watch 2 documentaries that offer "opposing" views on the topic(and of course analyze them). I know of the more well known documentaries but don't know what has come out that opposes them.

We also have to find an animated feature film that succeeded commercially or critically beyond the traditional youth market(this one isn't as tough)

Anyone have good recommendations on these? I have to write papers on them but finding the films has been slightly more difficult

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

ayb posted:

My Cinema class this week has a couple of assignments for us.

We have to watch 2 documentaries that offer "opposing" views on the topic(and of course analyze them). I know of the more well known documentaries but don't know what has come out that opposes them.

We also have to find an animated feature film that succeeded commercially or critically beyond the traditional youth market(this one isn't as tough)

Anyone have good recommendations on these? I have to write papers on them but finding the films has been slightly more difficult

Boy, that first one is tricky. Twist of Faith is about a guy who was molested by his priest, but in the end still manages to find a place for faith in his life. You could contrast this with something that's more "anti"-religion (like Bill Maher's Religulous, which I haven't seen yet).

For the second one, I would say Yellow Submarine. A lot of anime would fit the bill too, like Akira or any of the major Miyazaki films (say Princess Mononoke).

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

In the Russian movie Nightwatch, why does the curse disappear after she curses herself out loud?

rararasputin
Apr 27, 2006
I was wondering if anyone knows the origin of the quote Cléo thinks to herself in the mirror while leaving the psychic's place:

"Minute ô beau papillon! Être laide, c'est ça la mort. Tant que je suis belle, je suis vivante. Et dix fois plus que les autres."

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

ayb posted:

Um...Expelled: No Intelligence Allowed, followed by Religulous or any Richard Dawkins documentary.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

I just saw the first Godfather for the first time, and it was very good. What I don't understand:

WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED TO AL PACINO? He's totally subdued and fantastic, never once bellowing and bugging his eyes out. Is it just age? I remember even by Dog Day Afternoon he had gone completely insane and "Pacino-y"

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

tendrilsfor20 posted:

I just saw the first Godfather for the first time, and it was very good. What I don't understand:

WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED TO AL PACINO? He's totally subdued and fantastic, never once bellowing and bugging his eyes out. Is it just age? I remember even by Dog Day Afternoon he had gone completely insane and "Pacino-y"
Yeah, he found his style.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

fenix down posted:

In the Russian movie Nightwatch, why does the curse disappear after she curses herself out loud?

Because since she was just cursing herself she could take it off without any effort, she just didn't know it existed. So she didn't have to do anything fancy to make it go away, just wanting to does it.

rararasputin
Apr 27, 2006
At the end of Candyman, did the people from Cabrini-Green come to her grave because they understood that she was not the killer, but the one who saved the baby, and their neighborhood, essentially - and they were grateful to her for having rid them of Candyman - or - were they there because they thought she was Candyman (or at least in cahoots)... and were glad to see her go.

I thought it was the former until they threw the hook down with her, which didn't seem like something they would do if they were thanking her. Or maybe they were grateful to her, but just wanted to make sure it died with her too.

Thoughts?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

rararasputin posted:

At the end of Candyman, did the people from Cabrini-Green come to her grave because they understood that she was not the killer, but the one who saved the baby, and their neighborhood, essentially - and they were grateful to her for having rid them of Candyman - or - were they there because they thought she was Candyman (or at least in cahoots)... and were glad to see her go.

I thought it was the former until they threw the hook down with her, which didn't seem like something they would do if they were thanking her. Or maybe they were grateful to her, but just wanted to make sure it died with her too.

Thoughts?

My take on it is that they didn't think that she was Candyman all along, and they were grateful for her saving the baby, but they knew that her death would go down in Cabrini Green's history and essentially make her the new urban legend avatar of death that Candyman was. Which also goes along with her appearance in the mirror in the very last scene.

It's definitely very ambiguous, though, and I think both of your takes could be construed as valid.

Man that's a great movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

Criminal Minded posted:

Sessions tipped Gittes off to the water scandal by pointing out the obituary column which leads Gittes to notice that a whole bunch of real estate is being bought in the names of dead or retired people. Presumably she was murdered by Mulwray or his flunkies. As for who called Gittes, I'd guess the same people, as sort of another warning not to gently caress with them. There's also the possibility that they wanted him caught in the house when the detectives showed up, so they could've been springing a trap.

God, I loving love Chinatown. It's got one of those plots that isn't that complicated but every time I watch it, I have to figure it out for myself all over again because there are little things that I don't remember. It's like getting to see it for the first time, every time.

I thought that The cops who were waiting in the bathroom/closet called him because his number was written above the phone and they wanted to see who it was.