Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

Demolisher posted:

Kind gents: would the 60 watt peavey 6505 212 combo be loud enough for high gain situations in medium sized venues Vs. solid state half stacks and drums?

jesus christ yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asomodai
Jun 4, 2005

POSTING IN TFR = DONT ASK DONT TELL AM I RITE?
It's been a month since i bought my Jackson WRMG Warrior (posted earlier in thread) Its a lovely guitar and a nice reintroduction to playing guitar. Though i have only been playing through Amplitude on my PC.

In my quest to find a perfect amp i got smitten. By yet another Jackson, I just seem to get on with the necks more then other guitars.

Booyah! Jackson RR5, Neck thru Japanese made, Seymour duncan humbuckers (Not sure if its the version with double JB pups, Or the other ones) It has a pretty awful setup when i played it, and a horribly old set of strings. However i knew that the neck was good to the touch, and could be made very playable, The guitar light, and a great sound. Bought it for £680 including a new set of strings and a drat good setup and clean. Will be picking it up in a few days.

I also bought a JCM 900 Cab for £150 delivered and a JCM 800 Orange Tolex cab for £100. But i dont have an Amp head yet. Been looking at an Engl fireball, but i dont quite have the money as of yet! I need something with valves that can do high gain death and doom metal.

Asomodai fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Apr 22, 2009

Raze
Aug 13, 2005

I'M GOING HOME.

Asomodai posted:

I also bought a JCM 900 Cab for £150 delivered. But i dont have an Amp head yet. Been looking at an Engl fireball, but i dont quite have the money as of yet! I need something with valves that can do high gain death and doom metal.

Wow, how wide is that neck? It's probably a trick of it being the only dark object in a picture of white, but it looks almost 7-string width. Maybe it's the scale, too? I dunno. Anyways, not usually a fan of gold hardware, but that manages to pull it off pretty well. Good choice, man.
As far as a head, Engls are great. I believe Stux has one. I'm not sure how much Mesa and Diezel stuff is over there, but those are solid brands for what you're looking at, as well.

Asomodai
Jun 4, 2005

POSTING IN TFR = DONT ASK DONT TELL AM I RITE?

Raze posted:

Wow, how wide is that neck? It's probably a trick of it being the only dark object in a picture of white, but it looks almost 7-string width. Maybe it's the scale, too? I dunno. Anyways, not usually a fan of gold hardware, but that manages to pull it off pretty well. Good choice, man.
As far as a head, Engls are great. I believe Stux has one. I'm not sure how much Mesa and Diezel stuff is over there, but those are solid brands for what you're looking at, as well.

The neck is about as wide as my Warriors, The scale length appears standard to me. I think its a combination of the photography, colour of guitar and pointyness.

Another update, I bought a second cab! Marshall JCM 800 Limited edition orange tolex, 100 quid.

Still havent got an amp head yet though!

I have my heart set on an ENGL, Diezels dont turn up over here, and Mesas are still too drat expensive. If i get too desperate i'll go for a Marshall TSL, or a Mode four (I used to own one before i quit playing last time)

Pirateparty
Apr 12, 2007

Scurvy

Demolisher posted:

Kind gents: would the 60 watt peavey 6505 212 combo be loud enough for high gain situations in medium sized venues Vs. solid state half stacks and drums?

60 tube watts is enough to be heard over 2 or 3 bands, trust me.

stun runner
Oct 3, 2006

by mons all madden
Movin' on up. I love Zzounds, I submitted some sketchy ebay auction for a pricematch on the kaoss pad at $330 and they matched the price at $312 with free shipping :c00l:

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

Raze posted:

Yeah I had a Powerball. They loving slay for any kind of metal and I've heard the fireball is similar but with less versatility but a more organic tone (the powerball is really undynamic but in a good way). I'd pick Engl or Diezel over Mesa personally.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Wampler Plextortion

and

Wampler Super Plextortion

Okay, I couldn't find a picture online of the new Super Plextortion. I have the latest version of each, they used to have more knobs and switches but they've been streamlined with a more intuitive control setup.

The Super Plextortion pretty much looks the same as the Plextortion except it says 'Super' and has a three-position Gain switch instead of a Vint./Mod. switch; the three position switch adjusts between three different gain pathways in the pedal, so it really is a multi-channel pedal, in a manner of speaking.

I've had the pleasure of playing a lot of pedals, but these are some of the best I've played. Brian (indyguitarist/Wampler guy) has a great attitude towards the DIY community and he doesn't goop anything, so you can see that the Plextortion is based on the original Guv'nor but with a treble boost circuit added and some other modifications to make it basically a great white shark of tone. Brian has said that the Plextortion is one of only two pedals in his whole lineup that are inspired by something else, the other being a delay he licenses from someone. The Super Plextortion is totally original, and has a more modern sound to it - the Plextortion is a huge sounding pedal with tons of bite and a great range of sound from grit to roar, while the Super Plextortion is a more cutting pedal with a slightly more compressed sound in its high gain modes, but it actually works as a low gain OD, a mid-gain dirt, and a high-gain distortion thanks to the three different circuits you can switch between. Because they are quite different internally, as you'd imagine they really don't have a lot of tonal overlap. Brian describes the Plextortion as getting a whole range of pre-JCM Marshall tones, while the Super Plextortion can do anything that a JCM800 can do - whether it be bone stock (relatively low-mid gain), modded for more crunch, or totally hot-rodded for ripping distortion. They both have extremely effective three-band EQ. The Plextortion is inherently darker, the Super Plextortion is inherently more cutting, but with the EQ you can get them where you want them. They sound good into a totally clean amp, into an amp already overdriving, and even into something like my little 5W Fender champ 600 reissue. So that's cool.

I'm looking forward to writing more on them for the upcoming issue of Frugal, but everyone else is posting new stuff so now I'm posting new stuff too :) Expect a few more posts of this nature as more arrive.

While both of these pedals are fairly pricey, they're very cleverly made (even though the Plextortion is based on the original Guv'nor, there's so much more going on in it than in a Guv'nor that it really qualifies as its own new creation, just like the EHX Metal Muff shouldn't be thought of as a Digitech Grunge ripoff even though it uses the same clipping circuitry) and the build quality is great. Good examples of how a pedal should be put together, with high-quality, durable components all around and a great looking, rugged finish as well. I dropped one of them on the tile floor in my kitchen, and it is no worse for it at all.

Also, my customized Paul Cochrane Tim came in the other day, it's exactly as awesome as I'd hoped it would be. Does way more than the Danelectro TOD did, it's not hard to tell which is the cheap clone and which is the original, but the basic sound and function is similar. The customization I requested was to have clipping switches like the Timmy so that I could choose between the two symmetrical clipping modes as usual with a Tim, but also have asymmetrical clipping like the Timmy can do. Very glad I did, the asymmetrical mode has turned out to sound really good with my other pedals and my amp (though the two symmetrical modes rock, too - it's not a very subtle difference, but they all sound good).

Agreed fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Apr 23, 2009

Gaseous Clay
May 12, 2002
So I've got $500 bucks to play with.

I need:
Sound Card/interface
Midi Keyboard
decent monitors

I'm looking at
M-Audio Fast Track USB Pro
Oxygen 49 keyboard

this would leave me roughly $200 for powered monitors. Is this even possible without them sounding like utter dogshit? I'm using a 8 year old SB Live sound card at the moment through shite cambridge soundworks speakers so anything would be an improvement.

Any ideas?

DrChu
May 14, 2002

There's been too much talk about weaksauce 5 watt amplifiers lately. I'm stepping things up a bit.

Sorry for the bad cell phone picture, let's zoom in on a stock image:

"All-Tube Bass Amplifier"

And that 300? Watts. (actually 320)

UPS just delivered it today. I haven't been too happy with my Markbass Little Mark II lately (its kind of unreliable in iffy power situations if I push the volume at all) and I guess Eden has discontinued these because they are going for pretty cheap. I haven't had too much of a chance to play around with it but its been pretty good so far. More aggressive than the LMII as you push the gain, the footswitchable overdrive kinda sucks though. Definitely loud. I have two gigs this weekend I'm thinking about bringing it to, the only thing stopping me is that I haven't rehearsed with it yet and gotten it dialed in in a band situation. I will miss the LMII's weight though, this thing is about ten times as heavy.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
Oh poo poo, that is a great amp. I think that's the Koch designed one, right?

Vanmani
Jul 2, 2007
Who needs title text, anyway?

Gaseous Clay posted:

I need:
Sound Card/interface
Midi Keyboard
decent monitors

Any ideas?

You're in trouble.

Try and find a second hand keyboard that supports MIDI, instead of a new MIDI controller. There's a whole host of cheap audio interfaces, you suggested one of them yourself.

The monitors are the sticking point. I listened to some Behringer Truths and they weren't actually completely crap (from a 2 minute listen...) could give them a go I guess. You might be able to squeeze in under $500 this way.

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
I found a cheap Emu 1616m (Cardbus) interface, which looks like it does everything I want (Vista, Midi I/O, nice converters and pres). Is there any reason I shouldn't grab this? I don't know poo poo about interfaces but this looks perfect.

For Loop
Apr 12, 2005
The Word on the Street.

Demolisher posted:

i'd say that would do the trick. those things are loving LOUD.

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

Don't touch me there - Noone has that right.
I just got a pair of these:

(Gibson Classic 57 pups)

to wire up with these:

and stick into this:

I'm excited to get it all put together (I got the pickups in yesterday and the electronics are due in today) - I bought the Ibanez on a whim for $200 new (mispriced) with the intention on flipping it for a quick buck, but the thing plays AMAZINGLY, and the only thing really lacking at all is the pickups.

And to update my last last purchase post, I got in all the fretwork tools and quickly put them to use on my Tele, which had some nasty divots in the frets that were throwing off intonation (and the overall feel). I leveled, re-crowned and polished up the frets, and gave it a nice setup with the help of a good string-height gauge and the StroboSoft tuner, and the note jump off the guitar now. It's now seriously one of the best feeling guitars I've ever played, and feels like a brand new instrument (It's been my main instrument for the last 14 years).

Gaseous Clay
May 12, 2002

JohnnySmitch posted:

and stick into this:

I bought the Ibanez on a whim for $200 new (mispriced)

$200 is a rediculous deal. where the poo poo did you find this? (and does their pricing always get hosed up)

uber jealous here.

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

Don't touch me there - Noone has that right.

Gaseous Clay posted:

$200 is a rediculous deal. where the poo poo did you find this? (and does their pricing always get hosed up)

uber jealous here.

I got it from Musician's Friend (they don't even seem to have them in blue any more). It was a weird misprint/price mistake/clearance deal - the page didn't have a picture up, and the description was inconsistent. The listing was for an Ibanez AF75T, which is also the model number of the (more expensive) tremolo version. I found the deal on the Harmony Central forums, and a bunch of people ordered one, and then returned it because the model they got didn't have the tremolo (turns out that the "T" stands for "transparent" in this particular guitar - has to do with the finish). I was initially bummed when I opened the box and it didn't have a tremolo, but as soon as I played it I knew it was a keeper (and I've already got a Tele with a Bigsby, so I'm not missing anything).

If I remember right, there was a coupon active at the time as well, so I think I actually got it for something like $180 with free shipping.

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Committed to burn twice as long and half as bright
:ughh:

Well I thought I was SET with the setup I could stick with for a while there but, since I sold my Mesa Boogie Mark III amp to fund the purchase of the Electric Amp head a few months back, I've been missing having a modern voiced, high gain option around. Enter the Engl e530 preamp. METAL! It even has a little stereo 2 x 1.5W power amp built into it to power a guitar cabinet at bedroom playing levels for practicing.

Anyone want a Boss OC-3 polyphonic (tracks chords and multiple notes) octave pedal? $185 MSRP, $120 from discount music retailers, yours for only $70 + a few bucks for shipping.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Catastrophe posted:

:ughh:

Well I thought I was SET with the setup I could stick with for a while there but, since I sold my Mesa Boogie Mark III amp to fund the purchase of the Electric Amp head a few months back, I've been missing having a modern voiced, high gain option around. Enter the Engl e530 preamp. METAL! It even has a little stereo 2 x 1.5W power amp built into it to power a guitar cabinet at bedroom playing levels for practicing.

Anyone want a Boss OC-3 polyphonic (tracks chords and multiple notes) octave pedal? $185 MSRP, $120 from discount music retailers, yours for only $70 + a few bucks for shipping.

Whoa how much was the Engl?

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

That Engl is wicked bad. Good purchase.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Catastrophe posted:

Not to be an rear end but the OC-3 is not truly polyphonic in terms of its tracking. When playing a chord it'll track the lowest note and then just "allows" the rest to pass through w/o giving some crazy garbled sound like if you tried a chord on an older OC-2 or something

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Gramps posted:

Whoa how much was the Engl?

$400 shipped. The e530 isn't really an expensive product. It's pretty basic as far as guitar preamps go. They sell for $599 brand new.

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Scarf posted:

Not to be an rear end but the OC-3 is not truly polyphonic in terms of its tracking. When playing a chord it'll track the lowest note and then just "allows" the rest to pass through w/o giving some crazy garbled sound like if you tried a chord on an older OC-2 or something

Ah gotcha. At least you can have the octave effect active while playing chords and whatnot without it sounding like a broken Atari. haha

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Catastrophe posted:

Ah gotcha. At least you can have the octave effect active while playing chords and whatnot without it sounding like a broken Atari. haha

Oh yeah, absolutely.

Adjectivist Philosophy
Oct 6, 2003

When you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss also gazes into you.

stun runner posted:

Movin' on up. I love Zzounds, I submitted some sketchy ebay auction for a pricematch on the kaoss pad at $330 and they matched the price at $312 with free shipping :c00l:

Wow, I had no idea anyone pricematched ebay. Do they have a policy outline for this anywhere, because this seems ready for some serious abuse.

Rkelly
Sep 7, 2003
This just made my day. I buy everything on zzsounds. Ebay matching here I come.

Dejah Vue
Apr 7, 2009
I am in the process of deciding on a new guitar and am wondering if anyone has played one of these or what they think about it?

http://www.zzounds.com/item--IBAICT700

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Alright, I'm sick of posting stock pictures from MF. My cameraphone sucks and makes everything look like garbage for some reason, but so what, here are some pictures of the stuff I've picked up recently.

Starting with what I got today, a really inexpensive old Japanese Elektra Phoenix. It's a really quirky guitar, sort of a cross between an SG and a Stratocaster. The two humbuckers remind me of Dimarzios, I'm not sure what they are but they have a very forward sound that cuts really well, good midrange, and restrained bass (it's there, but the other frequencies are obviously on top). Brass nut, brass bridge, brass control plates, great neck, comfy player and the pots are all clean as a whistle, no scratchiness at all. I got it for $130, and got Schaller straplocks and some kind of Levi strap made out of hemp because it seemed to match the guitar pretty well because I'm a fashionista with my cheap ancient Japanese guitars. This is my third MIJ '80s guitar and I am basically not going to buy anything else again, I think.

And now some stuff I've already talked about but never posted a real picture of:

FuzzhuggerFX AlgalBloom with custom graphics and even a nice customized message from Tom, he's a class act.

Barber Dirty Bomb

Catalinbread HyperPak

Wampler Plextortion and Wampler Super Plextortion

and shiny

Radial ToneBone Hot British

Paul Cochrane Tim

My camera phone adamantly refused to take a picture of the Hafler Hellrazor preamp that wasn't totally indiscernible, so use your imagination to conjure up a flat black single rackspace pre with some knobs on it.

Fauxshiz
Jan 3, 2007
Jumbo Sized
I'm thinking about asking for the Jim Root signature Telecaster for my graduation present. Can anyone give me a reason not to?

http://www.samash.com/webapp/wcs/st...2593#TabSection

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.

Paytizzle posted:

I'm thinking about asking for the Jim Root signature Telecaster for my graduation present. Can anyone give me a reason not to?

Is that an 81/60 combo in a tele? :pwn:

Why do people make Sliptknot signature models.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

Thoogsby posted:

Is that an 81/60 combo in a tele? :pwn:

Why do people make Sliptknot signature models.

For a signature model that is actually not bad. No huge logos, stupid inlays, ugly graphics, etc. Hell, not even a signature on the headstock. And you know every guitar company hands out signatures like candy.

Gaza
Jul 16, 2008

Paytizzle posted:

I wouldn't pay 1,200 for it but it looks fine.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

I'd be all over the black body tele with the maple neck. Telecasters can be monster high-gain guitars, make that slab body out of mahogany and use good pickups and you're ready to rock. That price isn't even really all that outrageous if it's an American instrument, less than an American Deluxe isn't it?

7.62WorldOrder
Apr 19, 2002
Agreed, what is your take on the Dirty Bomb? I like the Youtube videos but I'm on the fence.

And I wish I could find one of these:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJmK-RFclC8

Soldano Supercharger GTO

They don't make them anymore and I can't find one anywhere. I love the tone on this thing. Where could I find a clone kit for something like this?

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

7.62WorldOrder posted:

Agreed, what is your take on the Dirty Bomb? I like the Youtube videos but I'm on the fence.

I wrote a review of it with some clips on my blog, check it out.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

warwick5s posted:

Oh poo poo, that is a great amp. I think that's the Koch designed one, right?

That's their VT300 or whatever its called. There's debate whether this is an original design or shared with a couple other similar amps. But they're not available in the US and the only other amp similar is the Traynor YBA200, and even that goes for more than this cost me.

Unfortunately I discovered an issue today. With the amp head on top of my cabinet and at a decent volume, the power tubes rattle when I play an F# :( I'm gonna call the store I bought it from tomorrow and see if they got insurance or anything on the shipping. KT-88s are pricey.

PenguinBob
Oct 12, 2000

Agreed posted:

I am basically not going to buy anything else again

pshhhh

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

PenguinBob posted:

pshhhh

I really like Japanese guitars from the '80s, unless I decide I do finally want to lay down for a good G&L I won't be buying another modern guitar when there are such great options that can be had for total steals.

What, did you interpret that as I won't be buying anything at all ever again? Because I think we both know that's not the case. :unsmith:

rockear
Oct 3, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Gaseous Clay posted:

I need:
Sound Card/interface
Midi Keyboard
decent monitors

With that budget, this is what I would do:

Sound card: http://www.zzounds.com/item--MDOAP2496
Unless you plan to run Vista, then scrounge up another $20 for: http://www.zzounds.com/item--ECHMIAMIDI

Keyboard: http://www.zzounds.com/item--MDOKEYRIG49
Or any of the other sub-$100 midi controllers. Craigslist is good for these.

Monitors: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/407009-REG/Yamaha_HS50M_HS50M_5_Two_Way_Bi_Amplified.html
The click for a better price is $300 for a pair. KRK also makes some usable monitors in this price range.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Stygian
Feb 7, 2007

Exeggutor?
Some beautiful gear in here :)

Just picked up today my new axe - one I've wanted since I started playing, ... 8 months? ago.

In the middle :) And a little 50W Randall amp to go with it.