Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gco
May 8, 2007

gco deserves bunnies, too!
I just signed up for Steve Valiquette's goalie camp again for this summer, draining $650 out of my family's already shallow pocket...

Next weekend we're going new pad, glove, and blocker shopping. :haw:

I have no idea why they keep letting me get new hockey equipment when they always say how tight the budget is. Maybe they're actually paying for it with my bank account since they have access to it. I wouldn't mind that if they did, so I guess I don't really care either way as long as there's enough to pay the bills after I get all my shiny new equipment.

Also, I came across this Reebok Slide thing my mom had lying around in the house a few weekends ago. I'm trying to figure out what I can use it for besides sliding back and forth in the slipper things it provides; I'm trying to think up of something along the lines of using my old 12" X 31" pads, covering them in a good slipping material and trying it out. I'll post pictures of the thing maybe this weekend. Then, when people know what the hell it is and what the hell I'm talking about, will I actually ask for suggestions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I'm not sure what good it would be for a goalie. It's a little shallow to practice the butterfly. I guess you could just use it for a cardio workout like it was intended :haw:

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
breakdancin the night away
gco, not to be a dick, but if you don't need that stuff, don't get it, especially if you're looking to play in college where you can get gear sponsored. i've seen way too many kids recently with new gear while their family leverages nonexistent credit.

gco
May 8, 2007

Tim Thomas posted:

gco, not to be a dick, but if you don't need that stuff, don't get it, especially if you're looking to play in college where you can get gear sponsored. i've seen way too many kids recently with new gear while their family leverages nonexistent credit.

I do need the glove and blocker, as mine are currently illegal. The pads, yeah I'm not really sure about getting them, but as far as I know, my college gives no sponsorship for gear. There's a $500 fee for playing on the ACHA club team and I have no idea what the situation is with D1 but the team loses so much I don't think they have any way to get money. I know there are some colleges that give up to $2000 or something for students to buy equipment but UCONN has been sub-.500 for the last several years and they're not big on hockey; I don't even know why they're D1 in the first place.

Alternatively, I could go to another school since I don't think there's room for me here but I have no idea about how I could go about transferring and guaranteeing a spot playing for a/any hockey team. I'm stuck here for another year thanks to a scholarship that lasts through my sophomore year during which time I will try out again for club and acquire information about D1 but my chances of the former are probably better, albeit slim, considering I'll have a huge loving competition to go up against and I don't even know if 1. they have an opening for a goalie next year and 2. if they actually take goalies that try out or if they have a secret guy in mind and let the goalies prance around for tryouts to toy with them. This sucks. :(

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

I hear there's gonna be cake!
Is it at Wonderland again this year? I wanted to go over there last year during lunch just to check it out (I work virtually across the street from Wonderland).

gco
May 8, 2007

UnmaskedGremlin posted:

Is it at Wonderland again this year? I wanted to go over there last year during lunch just to check it out (I work virtually across the street from Wonderland).

Yeah, it's always at Wonderland. The one I'm going to is from July 27-30; it's the only one for anyone 14+, there's 2 camps for kids in the 2 weeks before. I'd like it to be M-F, but it was good enough last year to make me want to go back so I'll make do with it. See if you can stop by, you might be able to get a few tips or even better: free catered food!

UnmaskedGremlin
May 28, 2002

I hear there's gonna be cake!

gco posted:

Yeah, it's always at Wonderland. The one I'm going to is from July 27-30; it's the only one for anyone 14+, there's 2 camps for kids in the 2 weeks before. I'd like it to be M-F, but it was good enough last year to make me want to go back so I'll make do with it. See if you can stop by, you might be able to get a few tips or even better: free catered food!

I'll have to try. I dunno if they will just let anyone wander in, but its worth a shot. I've got nothing else to do during lunch (maybe...thats the week after our state tournament for softball, so with any luck, I will be planning our trip to Nationals).

gco
May 8, 2007

UnmaskedGremlin posted:

I'll have to try. I dunno if they will just let anyone wander in, but its worth a shot. I've got nothing else to do during lunch (maybe...thats the week after our state tournament for softball, so with any luck, I will be planning our trip to Nationals).

They have public skating going on while we eat/break/off-ice train for 2 hours or so, so there's a few people wandering around and some not in the camp on the ice at that time. If you can blend in with the goalies, I'm sure no one will notice if you snag some food, as I'm sure people that don't know what it's for won't dare to go near it in fear of being beaten up by tuff dudes. I can always ask if you can get some, too, whatever.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!
Got our sponsors and jerseys for our upcoming tournament.

:smugdog: :slick: :smugdog:

I also just lined up private lessons with Zach at http://prohybridtraining.com/ 3 days next week to prep for the tourney.

titanium fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Apr 22, 2009

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

He doesn't really stop the puck, but he scares the hell out of the other team.
I just played my first pickup game with the new 9.8s (as well as seeing my first sort-of-actual game action). They are a pretty huge change. I'm going to have to take off one of the two ridiculous Niittymaki double-stacked knee pads that I guess are supposed to keep the strap from digging into your leg. They get in the way of skating and don't do anything useful at all. Having an actual knee channel is soooo nice for butterflying. I wasn't happy at all with the rotation of the pads, but I still need to spend some time finding the right tightness and maybe try moving the toe tie to its optional offset position. I'm definitely going to try that next session.

Things I can't do yet:
  • Butterfly slides, especially from an upright stance. I still tend to kind of jump onto the outside leg which I assume is a bad habit from playing on asphault my whole life. I'm going to spend a ton of time in the next open practice working on this.
  • Recover from a butterfly slide correctly if I accidentally find myself in one somehow
  • Know where the hell the net is behind me when challenging on any kind of angle (I got beat short side a shitload.)
  • Play the puck. At least I know better than to try this one for now.

Things I can do:
  • Make ridiculous desperation saves while flopping around
  • Make pretty good saves through traffic. Being a short dude with quick reflexes is nice sometimes.
  • Recover with the correct foot about 80% of the time. I spent a good bit of time sliding around my kitchen in my old pads, trying to break the habit of always using my left foot.
  • Enjoy embarrassing the hell out of myself

It's still pretty amazing the amount of stuff I learn every time I play. I went from being completely lost moving post to post on wraparounds before tonight to stuffing all but one where I lost sight of the puck and completely wiped out on the far side (:laffo:) I'm still pretty clueless as to how to hug the post to cut off bad angle shots, but I'll figure that out eventually. I let in one squeaker where I thought I had it all shut off.

Good times.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

ManicJason posted:

I just played my first pickup game with the new 9.8s

Aw hell son I know you didn't just say you got a new pair of pads and didn't post pictures of them for us to enjoy <:mad:>

Rick Grimes
Oct 12, 2005

We Are The Walking Dead
Ok, so I ended up getting some ice skates on clearance, Bauer Vapor XIXs. Hahaha, it's a learning experience to say the least. Been to scrimmage at Holiday Rinks twice now, and I'm learning to skate with gear on. Worst part is the side to side. Getting it down a little bit now, but I swear I catch about 50% of the time.

I will say this. Going from roller to ice, I looked like something out of NHL 93. Sliding out of the net after dropping on the move was not something I planned for the first time. Having fun with it so far though, just need to keep at it.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
I went to open hockey tonight and I was the only goalie there and I ended up facing a bunch of guys from the ASU hockey team and a couple guys that played high school hockey in Minnesota and I actually managed to hold my own. I think the big difference tonight was that my positioning was good and my glove hand really can alive tonight. I still had a lot of bounce outs, since it's not fully broken in yet, but they were more drip outs than bounce outs, so they were easily controlable.

I also managed to pull off some really flashy saves. I actually had one play where the shooter got close to the net, got off a quick shot and I somehow managed to get my wirst guard on the shot, the rebound bounces in front of the net, they get off another quick shot and I gloved it while falling into the splits. I had another save while in the splits, but I don't remember the play very well. It's strange, because I have good flexibility, but that's not a move I ever try to and I can't even remember the last time I did that.

The other big thing for me was since my positioning was much better tonight, I had a bunch of gut trap saves tonight. I know that doesn't sound too impressive, but I've had a problem for quite a while where my positioning was off and I almost always ended up playing shots off to my side, so the fact that I was more centered to the puck tonight was encouraging.

I also tried a pair of Under Armour Heat Gear compression pants tonight. At least through one use, I really like them so far. They are much less bulky, much cooler, and they allow my pads to rotate much more easily than my previous ghetto inline inspired solution of wearing track pants under my gear. The compression factor of the pants seemed to stabilize my legs a little more as I got tired, but on the downside, my goalie cup doesn't seem to work as well with these pants. I'll try tighten the straps on the cup the next time I play and see if that helps. The cup generally stayed where it was supposed to, but it just slid around a little more than I was comfortable with, luckily my Eagle Double Cup is huge, so there is a good margin of error for cup placement, but if this continues to be a problem, then I may try wearing a regular cup underneath my pants as a backup plan. Still though I was very impressed with the compression pants and as long as I can resolve that one issue, which is pretty drat important, I think I might be a convert to the cult of compression pants.

Aniki fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Apr 24, 2009

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!
Compression pants are the best, I wear them without anything underneath and that seems to help with any cup problems.

Last night I finally strapped my thighboards back in and it turns out I like them. I found a problem with my game was keeping a wide butterfly even when playing sharp angles and it just left the shortside above the pad open for shots. Turns out I subconsciously protected my knees by keeping it wide.

Aniki I called about my ZeroG's yesterday cause I was thinking about changing the color, they said the leather was cut and they were getting(or about to be) stitched together. Hopefully that means we're getting our poo poo soon.

titanium fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Apr 24, 2009

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

He doesn't really stop the puck, but he scares the hell out of the other team.

Martytoof posted:

Aw hell son I know you didn't just say you got a new pair of pads and didn't post pictures of them for us to enjoy <:mad:>
OK fine.

I guess my stuff kind of almost matches. The jersey I use is dark blue.

I have a couple things I'm still unhappy about with my equipment. First off is a stupid problem with the snaps that attach the chest piece to the back piece of my C/A. Every time I play, the elastic strap works its way out of the snap. I took a nice stinger off my bicep when this caused the whole C/A to move a bit out of place.

I guess the best option is to sew the end of the strap doubled-over so it can't work back through. I can't see how this ever stays in place if that's how it came new. (I do leave a lot more slack on the loose end when I first put it on. This one just barely stayed attached like this through last game. It's the only time either of them has ever stayed more than 30 minutes.)

The second thing is the retarded Niittymaki knee pad things. I guess I'm going to give these one more shot before I take at least one of them out:

brosef deluxe
Feb 22, 2007

"See Joe, this is what winning a meaningful game feels like"
So, being that it was 89 degrees in San Jose on Monday, not too many players showed up for the local outdoor roller rink. The couple of dudes that were there decided to bring out a radar gun (!) and they had a mini-Hardest shot competition. I manned the gun, behind the net.

The fastest shot?

Ninety-loving-one.

No wonder everyone parts like the red sea when that particular guy shoots. I no longer feel bad for ducking my Itech 1200 encased brain out of the way of a few of that dude's shots in the pickup game earlier.

I also wondered why his shots would bruise me through my (admittedly outdated and battered) C/A. Guess I know why.

Space Cadet
Jun 1, 2000

Destruction, hence, like creation, is one of Nature's mandates.
How is the 1200 for roller/ball hockey? My current mask is a heavy duty sher-wood gh200 and while I love the protection for ice with actual pucks I find the mask doesn't fare to well in the heat as it has nearly 0 holes for ventilation aside from the ears and face. I lighter helmet that is semi-reliable would be wonderful for this warm weather hockey without giving me a concussion.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Space Cadet posted:

How is the 1200 for roller/ball hockey? My current mask is a heavy duty sher-wood gh200 and while I love the protection for ice with actual pucks I find the mask doesn't fare to well in the heat as it has nearly 0 holes for ventilation aside from the ears and face. I lighter helmet that is semi-reliable would be wonderful for this warm weather hockey without giving me a concussion.

You can get away with it for ball hockey, it's not ideal, but it is strong enough to handle hockey balls. However, if you play with an inline puck, I wouldn't recommend using it. It's better than using a Franklin street hockey mask, but if you are facing any hard shooters, then you are putting yourself at a risk. If you want one for ball hockey, I have a large 1201 I can sell you, but it isn't something I would want to use with an inline puck.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

brosef deluxe posted:

So, being that it was 89 degrees in San Jose on Monday, not too many players showed up for the local outdoor roller rink. The couple of dudes that were there decided to bring out a radar gun (!) and they had a mini-Hardest shot competition. I manned the gun, behind the net.

The fastest shot?

Ninety-loving-one.

No wonder everyone parts like the red sea when that particular guy shoots. I no longer feel bad for ducking my Itech 1200 encased brain out of the way of a few of that dude's shots in the pickup game earlier.

I also wondered why his shots would bruise me through my (admittedly outdated and battered) C/A. Guess I know why.

If I remember correctly, inline pucks are a little lighter than traditional pucks and it always seemed like they traveled a little faster than most of the shots that I've faced on ice, but I don't have any data to confirm that.

I will say that I have always wondered how hard some of the shooters I face can shoot. I still remember taking a slapshot to the cage from 10 feet away by a 270 pound defensive end and judging by the damage it did to my cage (Eddy cat eye with thick bars), it had to be well over 90 MPH. I know my neck was sore for a couple days afterwards and it's still the hardest shot that I've felt to date.

I have faced some hard shooters lately and luckily I have taken their hardest shots to my gloves and not my mask (progress++) and when they really get a hold of a shot it feels different when it hits you. I know how the shot feels depends on the speed, rotation, and the part of the puck that hits you, but it seems like you can get a general idea for how fast someone shoots when the puck hits you.

Does anyone have an idea on how hard an average bear leaguer can shoot the puck? I know that is really subjective, but aside from really hard shots, I never really think about how fast the puck I face are moving.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
I've had a few of my goalie friends tell me I have a pretty heavy shot but I don't feel like it's anything spectacular.

I did hit one of the 14u goalies at a summer camp right under his neck guard and he rolled around for a while. I don't think that is really indicative of how hard of a shot it is though.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!

The Mandingo posted:

I've had a few of my goalie friends tell me I have a pretty heavy shot but I don't feel like it's anything spectacular.

I did hit one of the 14u goalies at a summer camp right under his neck guard and he rolled around for a while. I don't think that is really indicative of how hard of a shot it is though.

hahahaha, I'm going to guess thats more about you hitting a child with a puck to the neck.

Deer_fire
Jul 30, 2003

The Mandingo posted:

There's also a bit of a difference between heavy shots and hard/fast shots, at least in my book. I've dealt with plenty people that can shoot 80+ and it's not much of an issue unless it hits you in a specific, small, soft spot. A guy with a heavy 60-70 MPH shot I can feel through my V2's.

crashlanding
Dec 11, 2006

Leading the offense for a fraction of the cost
What would you say causes a "heavy" shot? The amount of spin on the puck?

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

crashlanding posted:

The speed, in miles per hour.

Zinc.
Feb 2, 2007
Good for scalp.

crashlanding posted:

This is coming from a LW, so I may not know wtf, but I always figured a "heavy shot" is when a player has a slower wind-up or release, yet still shoots the puck hard/fast.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Zinc. posted:

This is coming from a LW, so I may not know wtf, but I always figured a "heavy shot" is when a player has a slower wind-up or release, yet still shoots the puck hard/fast.

No, it's just how hard it hits you.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

crashlanding posted:

Spin and how the puck hits you. A really fast shot can glance off of you and it's no big deal, but if a slower shot gets enough spin or you get hit with a flat surface (e.g. the top or bottom of the puck), the shot seems to feel heavier. It's entirely subjective, but the spin and the part of the puck that hits you really seems to change how the shot feels.

Deer_fire
Jul 30, 2003

Chemmy posted:

No, it's just how hard it hits you.

I feel a heavy shot is a lot more this than just the speed, the two are related (a 5 MPH shot won't be heavy shot regardless of how it hits you) but its not really cause and effect.

Minister Robathan
Jan 3, 2007

The Alien Leader of Transportation
This is the worst argument ever. :psyduck:

A heavy shot is about speed only. Spin makes a puck go faster, and that's why they hurt more. Also, a puck that hits in unprotected areas hurt more. A puck that is fluttering is harder to read, ergo it hits unprotected areas more often.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Deer_fire posted:

I feel a heavy shot is a lot more this than just the speed, the two are related (a 5 MPH shot won't be heavy shot regardless of how it hits you) but its not really cause and effect.

Speaking as both someone who's been annihilated by "heavy shots" and as an engineer I'm going to say it relies on speed only.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
I assumed the "heavyness" of a shot was about its speed? It's not like a sine wave knucklepuck, its a flat saucer and moves pretty quick.

crashlanding
Dec 11, 2006

Leading the offense for a fraction of the cost
I don't know, spin probably does have something to do with it. Have someone toss a soccer ball to you slowly and head it. Now have the same person throw it to you at the same speed but with a lot of backspin, you feel it a lot more. The ball isn't moving any faster but the angular velocity contributes to how you feel it as well.

gco
May 8, 2007

Aniki posted:

Spin and how the puck hits you. A really fast shot can glance off of you and it's no big deal, but if a slower shot gets enough spin or you get hit with a flat surface (e.g. the top or bottom of the puck), the shot seems to feel heavier. It's entirely subjective, but the spin and the part of the puck that hits you really seems to change how the shot feels.

It should never hurt if you get hit with the full circle of the top/bottom because that means the puck was not in the air being aerodynamic but was resisting a lot because the flat surface was going forward. The only shots that should hurt are head on sides and corners of the puck. drat those corners can be a bitch on the shoulder, especially with aforementioned in the thread 'spin'. I had to upgrade a C/A because of one shot off my lower shoulder from a coach that ended up turning every single color you could possibly imagine. All in all, it was pretty cool.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!
Got done with my first day of 3 for my personal training with Zach from PHT. Today was all movement so almost no pucks. I'm beat as hell but he did help me a lot with efficiency correcting some of my issues squaring up.

Video of some of the drills

http://vimeo.com/4408043

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

That looks amazingly fun. Looking good too. drat I need some of this training.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

titanium posted:

Got done with my first day of 3 for my personal training with Zach from PHT. Today was all movement so almost no pucks. I'm beat as hell but he did help me a lot with efficiency correcting some of my issues squaring up.

Video of some of the drills

http://vimeo.com/4408043

That's impressive. How good were you at those drills at the beginning of the session? I need to work with a goalie coach soon, but I know my skating needs to get a lot better.

Joey Walnuts
Dec 6, 2004

Clean up, aisle 3.
Welp, first time back on the ice last night since I've been sick. I'm pretty sure it was the worst that I have ever played. Ever. Thanks to my superior goal tending, we lost 8-1. Shots on goal? Oh....MAYBE 25. Maybe. Even worse is that I was subbing for a team that was looking for a new goalie. I'm guessing they won't call me back. Goddammit. Stupid Bronchitis.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!

Aniki posted:

That's impressive. How good were you at those drills at the beginning of the session? I need to work with a goalie coach soon, but I know my skating needs to get a lot better.

I could t-chop around or I'd shuffle quick but the way he trains you to move gets a much better push and a much better set. If you feel like you could run the drills a bit while on the ice I'd recommend checking out his DVDs.

Today we worked on puck handling which is probably my worst trait. Since switching to the turco grip my shot has improved a lot but I really need work on stick handling behind the net. My mind works faster than my hands and I end up fumbling the puck around. We also did some puck work on deflecting into the sides which have a pretty good grip on but need some cleaning up with my pivot moments afterwords.

I'll post a vid later tonight.

Hazed_blue
May 14, 2002
So I'm not sure if it has anything to do with the improvement, but I've allowed my skates to get a little more dull than usual, and for whatever reason, my game has improved. The power in my backside recovery has declined somewhat as a result, but other than that, my other skating-related skills seem to be improved. It doesn't make sense to me, because I usually start to struggle significantly when my skates are not sharp. Maybe having a little less edge is keeping me from over-skating or over-sliding the play, or something. I can't figure it out, but I'm not complaining either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!
Day two video, now featuring pucks!

Christ my lungs are out of shape, I'm getting winded way to early but I got some much needed stick work in today (heh, stick work).

http://vimeo.com/4423835

titanium fucked around with this message at 06:22 on May 1, 2009

• Locked thread