Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Luminous
May 19, 2004

Girls
Games
Gains

EDGECRUSHER posted:

I know they've been talking about it for ages, and what I've heard on HC (this is RK1) is anyone who tries and "break out" to do anything in Pande without HC's approval will get banned.

That, and yeah the Tara thing is loving stupid. The RL will go on and on about who one bot has nothing to do with the other, but then they'll loving delay Tara while defending some loving org's 200 fields, or delay starting a Pande raid because Clanners keep playing hide and go gently caress yourself with towers.

Overall, like I said, I hate not having a chance to get jack and poo poo for my fixer because all the endgame poo poo is brooded over by a bunch of loving sycophantic weasels.

Moving against either raidbot will get you banned from the raidbots, yeah. There have been some hilarious drama cases from that.

Haha, whichever raid leaders are telling you that poo poo must be new. Towers have always had precedence over raids. It may be annoying, but the reasoning for it is sound, although it may be harder to fathom if you do not actually own towers or care about pvp.

That said, you are exactly like one of those sycophantic weasels, except that you apparently haven't gotten anything. You are still placing your desire above other people's desires, and so, are really no better than them. It would be nice if the community raid bot scene would die off, as it does create an unnatural time sink...but there in is the point - with enough time, anybody can have anything. Just that people want it "right now" which is what prompted the inclusion of FFA week, etc. You can't have it both ways. If you believe you should be able to get your gear "right now" then form a group instead of grinding raid points. Give it a shot during FFA. You cannot have both aspects - that is, you cannot rely on others to do the heavy lifting but expect to be the one that gets paid.

The raid bot scene is quite a beast to deal with :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Fancier
Dec 3, 2006

Cat Fancier fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Feb 16, 2018

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

I like and dislike the raidbots. On the one hand, it's nice being able to join HC raids and I have 300-some points so I can bid on a few things. On the other hand, it sucks trying to compete for the big ticket items as those go for 2000+ points sometimes and I just don't want to put in the obsessive poopsocking hours needed to get that stuff, and a lot of the time it just doesn't work with my schedule anyway.

Of course, now that I'm in an org that does regular raids, I can get stuff a lot more easily because we tend to just raffle the items with a few restrictions, like that you can only get one piece of "superloot" per raid (that being things like Burden of Competence, the Maar belts, APF belt, etc.). It's tough getting people together to do APF, but doing it 4 or 5 times and winning a raffle beats the hell out of doing it every day for a year to save up the points needed for the belt.

Cat Fancier
Dec 3, 2006
Sdfhhdgsaachds

Cat Fancier fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Feb 18, 2018

Floob
Jan 28, 2005

See you on Rubi-Ka
I'm having a hell of a time playing Omni. I've been playing since release and just never tried anything but clans. I don't know where anything is, so I ended up working out of newland city... Created a bureaucrat because I like playing pet classes and was hoping to get buffed into an insane pet, but not knowing anyone is putting a cramp on that. I was able to afford some implants but only enough to just barely get into a slightly orange pet, which is a big help.

Forgot to mention I'm also rolling this bureaucrat on a Frooby account just to see what the differences are. If I run into too much trouble with cash I can always move some between accounts, but I was hoping to go it unassisted. I got to level 10 last night and then got swiftly beat down when someone trained a bunch of scum runners to me.

TheUnforgiven
Mar 28, 2006
lanky fuck

Floob posted:

I'm having a hell of a time playing Omni. I've been playing since release and just never tried anything but clans. I don't know where anything is, so I ended up working out of newland city... Created a bureaucrat because I like playing pet classes and was hoping to get buffed into an insane pet, but not knowing anyone is putting a cramp on that. I was able to afford some implants but only enough to just barely get into a slightly orange pet, which is a big help.

Forgot to mention I'm also rolling this bureaucrat on a Frooby account just to see what the differences are. If I run into too much trouble with cash I can always move some between accounts, but I was hoping to go it unassisted. I got to level 10 last night and then got swiftly beat down when someone trained a bunch of scum runners to me.

Yeah, pet classes kick rear end and I'm really enjoying the Engie, I've been debating about starting up a Froob account and running a MP on it and duel boxing some team missions to get some money and gear for the Engie.

Anyone have any success doing this?

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo

TheUnforgiven posted:

Yeah, pet classes kick rear end and I'm really enjoying the Engie, I've been debating about starting up a Froob account and running a MP on it and duel boxing some team missions to get some money and gear for the Engie.

Anyone have any success doing this?

Engy can be easy to dual with since you can make engy a very "passive" character in combat so that you can just send in bot, attack and concentrate on the other char. You can stick to weapons without specials a long time since you won't have much IP anyway if you want to have tradeskills, that way you don't have to switch between windows much (for FA, burst, whatever) when dual logging.

MP is nice choise for doing mochies for yourself since selfcasting some of the higher nanos, especially SL bots, can get annoying if you don't have moneys to throw around for some nano items. Also, heal balloon works on engy pets if I remember correctly.

And try not to get depressed with engy once you hit the 100 level pet wall and start seeing your life and dreams go down the shitter. It gets better again at high levels, especially after you get some good guns on. If you intend to dual log all the way, I'd suggest going grenade route with weapons though. Dreadloch Obliterator and the Xan 'nade gun only have fling as special so it's dual log friendly.

Fewd fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Apr 23, 2009

Tyshalob
Apr 10, 2008

om nom nom i eat ur town

Do bots get better at holding aggro further down the road? I never did get an Engineer off newbie island because the drat bot couldn't hold aggro worth a poo poo and sometimes would go over to attack an enemy and then just stand there for a good three seconds before attacking.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

Tyshalob posted:

Do bots get better at holding aggro further down the road? I never did get an Engineer off newbie island because the drat bot couldn't hold aggro worth a poo poo and sometimes would go over to attack an enemy and then just stand there for a good three seconds before attacking.

Bot holds aggro on low and middle levels best since you're so drat gimp during that time. It does need some trimming though. You need two trimmers at least, Trimmer - Positive Aggressive-Defensive adjusts the agg-def bar of your bot, it goes up to QL100 which means the bot is full aggressive. Another important trimmer is Trimmer - Increase Aggressiveness, which is very effective especially at mid levels. The taunt value might seem low but the difference it makes is notable. You can make it with shop items so it's not hard to acquire. You should notice a big difference with your bots aggro holding when you use those two together. Also remember to get the dyna nanos, the area snare and the enhance subsystem line dmg boost.

Once you get to higher levels, bot's aggro holding dimnishes a bit, depending on what weapons you use I guess.

EDGECRUSHER
Feb 28, 2001

Luminous posted:

Moving against either raidbot will get you banned from the raidbots, yeah. There have been some hilarious drama cases from that.

Haha, whichever raid leaders are telling you that poo poo must be new. Towers have always had precedence over raids. It may be annoying, but the reasoning for it is sound, although it may be harder to fathom if you do not actually own towers or care about pvp.

That said, you are exactly like one of those sycophantic weasels, except that you apparently haven't gotten anything. You are still placing your desire above other people's desires, and so, are really no better than them. It would be nice if the community raid bot scene would die off, as it does create an unnatural time sink...but there in is the point - with enough time, anybody can have anything. Just that people want it "right now" which is what prompted the inclusion of FFA week, etc. You can't have it both ways. If you believe you should be able to get your gear "right now" then form a group instead of grinding raid points. Give it a shot during FFA. You cannot have both aspects - that is, you cannot rely on others to do the heavy lifting but expect to be the one that gets paid.

The raid bot scene is quite a beast to deal with :(

I complain only because I actually do their biddings. I go to towers (I do bitch and complain but only because I'm there shooting people) the same as I go to HC/Tara raids. I figure that's the only way I can try and say something about it-I'm not sitting on my rear end doing nothing while everyone is out shooting.

The 2000-3000 points for a Burden is ridiculous though.

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

So, who's up for APF or DB2/Alb farming this weekend?

leethasbro
Apr 11, 2005

Rat Enthusiast
Christ, they patch this thing every other day now??

Restarted a new account.

In as newbie engineer Fixinbob.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

leethasbro posted:

What? No.

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

leethasbro posted:

Restarted a new account.

In as newbie engineer Fixinbob.

They've been some nice changes, like you no longer need to do the whole questline to get into DB2, and your security codes now just teleport you to the mantis hive (or back to a city), which is pretty cool.

EDGECRUSHER
Feb 28, 2001

Vidmaster posted:

So, who's up for APF or DB2/Alb farming this weekend?

ME!

I'm going to ding 220 this weekend. 6? years running for this moment

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

EDGECRUSHER posted:

ME!

Congrats! I'll mission with you with my doc if you need someone to pull 220s!

TheUnforgiven
Mar 28, 2006
lanky fuck
So I havent messed around much on my Froob MP, but I think he's stealing my engineers spot for a main. The little anger ball is just awesome.

TheUnforgiven fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Apr 25, 2009

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

EDGECRUSHER posted:

ME!

And here I thought I was the only one who took six and half years to finally get a char to 220. Grats on the level. After that you can go sit at trade grid and get bored.

EDGECRUSHER
Feb 28, 2001

Candida albicans posted:

And here I thought I was the only one who took six and half years to finally get a char to 220. Grats on the level. After that you can go sit at trade grid and get bored.

Finally hit 220 at 6:30AM after an all night binge. Thanks!

I'm sitting on the full Inferno PB (Omni) set if you guys want to schedule something. That, and now that I'm a full fledged 220, I can go afk for hours at TG!

Project1
Dec 30, 2003

it's time
So, I've just made a free account, and I'm not really looking to start paying. If someone could give me about 2 or 3 classes that are fine at soloing, with not too much complexity, I'd really appreciate it. If you could explain very briefly what I'd be doing with each, that would be even better. I don't usually last too long at games like this, so anything should be said with the first 50-100 levels in mind at most.

Thanks!

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

Project1 posted:

So, I've just made a free account, and I'm not really looking to start paying. If someone could give me about 2 or 3 classes that are fine at soloing, with not too much complexity, I'd really appreciate it. If you could explain very briefly what I'd be doing with each, that would be even better. I don't usually last too long at games like this, so anything should be said with the first 50-100 levels in mind at most.

Thanks!

I think the best soloing classes for a free player are probably adventurer, martial artist, and metaphysicist.

Adventurer is a really versatile class which can use either melee or ranged weapons, does good damage, and has the 2nd best heals in the game. They get some morphs that turn you into a giant two-headed dog or a sabertooth, and you can also turn into a parrot and fly like a yalm at higher levels. They also get damage shields and AC buffs, and are one of the best PVP classes in the game.

Martial artist is similar to adventurer, only you do more damage and can't heal as well. They get special MA attacks which use different skills and do stuff like damage, healing, and debuff reduction. They're also all about critical hits (which do about 5 times more than their normal hits), and you'll see high level MAs who have a 50%+ crit chance and are consistently the top damage dealers in 50 person raids.

Metaphysicist is a pet class, and they're really cool. You get three pets, one which attacks, one which heals, and one which mezzes the enemy. They also get nanos which raise nanoskills, letting you cast better pets. They're great at soloing because you can just send your pet in while you stand back, or you can charge in and use your heal pet to keep you alive.

Project1
Dec 30, 2003

it's time

Vidmaster posted:

I think the best soloing classes for a free player are probably adventurer, martial artist, and metaphysicist.

Adventurer is a really versatile class which can use either melee or ranged weapons, does good damage, and has the 2nd best heals in the game. They get some morphs that turn you into a giant two-headed dog or a sabertooth, and you can also turn into a parrot and fly like a yalm at higher levels. They also get damage shields and AC buffs, and are one of the best PVP classes in the game.

Martial artist is similar to adventurer, only you do more damage and can't heal as well. They get special MA attacks which use different skills and do stuff like damage, healing, and debuff reduction. They're also all about critical hits (which do about 5 times more than their normal hits), and you'll see high level MAs who have a 50%+ crit chance and are consistently the top damage dealers in 50 person raids.

Metaphysicist is a pet class, and they're really cool. You get three pets, one which attacks, one which heals, and one which mezzes the enemy. They also get nanos which raise nanoskills, letting you cast better pets. They're great at soloing because you can just send your pet in while you stand back, or you can charge in and use your heal pet to keep you alive.

Thank you, this was exactly the sort of reply I was hoping for. I guess I'll give Adventurer a shot first, and then go from there.

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

Project1 posted:

Thank you, this was exactly the sort of reply I was hoping for. I guess I'll give Adventurer a shot first, and then go from there.

Cool, let me know if you need any tips on equipment or anything like that. I've got a 213 melee advy who's pretty good if you need pointers, and he also used ranged for a while at lower levels.

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

Anyone want to help me with the fixer grid quest tonight or tomorrow? Anyone, maybe with a high level fixer who's done it before and maybe posts in this thread occasionally? :shobon:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Meta can be fun but pet management can be miserable in AO, even with scripts and macros. Also get used to the funny deflating sound your pets make when they die because you will be hearing it. A lot!

Using pets in AO sends you through a lot of peaks and valleys. There will be times when you feel like a badass (when you level up into a new pet) and times when you feel like a punching bag (when you outlevel your pets and can't get into the next one.)

It's still great to give the attack command and see your pet say "Blood!" and go in for the kill. I just wish I didn't finish as many fights running for my life when the pets die and lose aggro. :)

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

Dick Trauma posted:

Meta can be fun but pet management can be miserable in AO, even with scripts and macros. Also get used to the funny deflating sound your pets make when they die because you will be hearing it. A lot!

Using pets in AO sends you through a lot of peaks and valleys. There will be times when you feel like a badass (when you level up into a new pet) and times when you feel like a punching bag (when you outlevel your pets and can't get into the next one.)

It's still great to give the attack command and see your pet say "Blood!" and go in for the kill. I just wish I didn't finish as many fights running for my life when the pets die and lose aggro. :)

Pets have been through a lot of interesting stuff in AO. There were a few patches where pets wouldn't work at all, or would attack their owners, or where the engineer's snare/blind aura would hit even non-PVP flagged players and stuff like that. That said, it's awesome being able to kill mobs 100 levels above yourself because you have a level 180 pet at level 50 (though it's less awesome having the same pet for 100 levels after that).

Bluesboy
Mar 27, 2009
Hey folks, hope all is well.

I'm wondering how the crafting system is looking in AO? I played the game for a short while years ago and couldn't get over some of the bugs that existed at the time. Really into the idea of finding a solid Sci-Fi MMO, just started playing EVE recently and so far i'm digging that but I would like a 3d character model.

Thanks in advance

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

Bluesboy posted:

Hey folks, hope all is well.

I'm wondering how the crafting system is looking in AO? I played the game for a short while years ago and couldn't get over some of the bugs that existed at the time. Really into the idea of finding a solid Sci-Fi MMO, just started playing EVE recently and so far i'm digging that but I would like a 3d character model.

Thanks in advance

It's not as in depth as EVE's crafting system, but it's still pretty cool and there's a lot of crap you can make with it. Basically all it involves is combining one item with another (or using a tool on an item), but if you're new to the game it's fun just finding all the poo poo you can make. I think there are still a few items that can supposedly be tradeskilled that nobody knows what to do with even after 5 years.

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

So I got a QL 100 perennium beamer onto my level 46 fixer last night, only to find that I'm 1 stupid point of MG/SMG away from not being OE on it :kratos:

Still, fixers are pretty cool, and it's nice to finally get one over level 30!

EDGECRUSHER
Feb 28, 2001

Vidmaster posted:

Anyone want to help me with the fixer grid quest tonight or tomorrow? Anyone, maybe with a high level fixer who's done it before and maybe posts in this thread occasionally? :shobon:

So...that would be me. If you're on RK1, send me a /tell Emilin wtf doode lets do fgrid quest

Just be warned that I did it in 2004 so I'll be a bit rusty.

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

EDGECRUSHER posted:

So...that would be me. If you're on RK1, send me a /tell Emilin wtf doode lets do fgrid quest

Just be warned that I did it in 2004 so I'll be a bit rusty.

Cool, I will give you a yell! I'll probably try to round up an engineer or two to help with beacon warps and stuff as well, but I figure with GSF, a yalm, and someone who kind of knows what they're doing, I should be in pretty good shape.

TheUnforgiven
Mar 28, 2006
lanky fuck
*Sigh* On the perpetual quest to find a class I really enjoy. I seem to be bouncing back and forth between my Keeper and Engineer. Can anyone comment on how either is good for soloing end game content PvM?

TheUnforgiven fucked around with this message at 06:08 on May 7, 2009

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

TheUnforgiven posted:

*Sigh* On the perpetual quest to find a class I really enjoy. I seem to be bouncing back and forth between my Keeper and Engineer. Can anyone comment on how either is good for soloing end game content PvM?

Both are awesome, though each has a pretty different style. Engineers can solo lots of stuff by using their bots, and keepers can solo lots of stuff by using their heal auras and perks. Keepers are better in PvP, but both are good classes.

FullMetalAussie
Mar 4, 2009

Ask me about the faghunter, throwing shrimp on the BBQ and dingoes eating babies
Ex - title 7 205/10 or something adv reporting in.

How have things changed since AI was released? Clan still getting their butts whooped all over on RK1 and PvP still dominated by broken GA IV fixers, unkillable TL7 docs and AS'ing agents?

FullMetalAussie fucked around with this message at 14:59 on May 7, 2009

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

FullMetalAussie posted:

How have things changed since AI was released? Clan still getting their butts whooped all over on RK1 and PvP still dominated by broken GA IV fixers, unkillable TL7 docs and AS'ing agents?

Well, LE and the xan expansion are basically just continuing the power creep for PvM, but for PvP they've shaken things up quite a bit. Clan are still getting their butts kicked a bit (think it's 12% omni xp vs. 8.5% clan xp). PvP is mostly dominated by soldiers and enforcers now, in my experience - docs are still unkillable for most classes, but die really fast to stuns, init debuffs, and the trader's massive nano drains. Fixers and agents are ok, but don't dominate by any means.

TheUnforgiven
Mar 28, 2006
lanky fuck

Vidmaster posted:

Both are awesome, though each has a pretty different style. Engineers can solo lots of stuff by using their bots, and keepers can solo lots of stuff by using their heal auras and perks. Keepers are better in PvP, but both are good classes.

I'm really liking my keeper. I like not having to rely on my bot to kick rear end. I'm gonna miss the potential for a kick rear end trader skiller though. I guess I'll make a Trader down the line.

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

TheUnforgiven posted:

I'm really liking my keeper. I like not having to rely on my bot to kick rear end. I'm gonna miss the potential for a kick rear end trader skiller though. I guess I'll make a Trader down the line.

Keepers are really fantastic at low levels too, without much work you can make one that can solo hecklers afk at level 60, and their heal auras are just win buttons for lowbie teams too. I've started a couple but never gotten them over that level range, unfortunately.

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

Anyone have a QL 240 syndicate messenger gun they'd sell me? :v:

Also, anyone want to help my fixer with the team fgrid quest?

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

Vidmaster posted:

Keepers are really fantastic at low levels too, without much work you can make one that can solo hecklers afk at level 60, and their heal auras are just win buttons for lowbie teams too. I've started a couple but never gotten them over that level range, unfortunately.

This is actually the problem I had with keepers (I have a 60 ToTW smasher and 95 that I just couldn't bother with anymore) - they're just too simple. It's not even so much of a matter of being overpowered as it is a lack of buttons to push. The only time you even have to cast anything is every hour or two to rebuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

Fenrir posted:

This is actually the problem I had with keepers (I have a 60 ToTW smasher and 95 that I just couldn't bother with anymore) - they're just too simple. It's not even so much of a matter of being overpowered as it is a lack of buttons to push. The only time you even have to cast anything is every hour or two to rebuff.

That is true, though I think they get a few more perks at high level. I love playing my shade for that reason - even though she's only 177, she's got about 10 different specials and by the time I'm done firing them off the earlier ones are already about to recharge, so it really makes combat a bit more interesting, or at least involving. Having to do the shade dance to use the piercing mastery perks helps too.

• Locked thread