Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

kylej posted:

the new sportbike

'00-02 Kawi ZX-6R, or '05-new ZZR-600, you pick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

MrKatharsis posted:

'00-02 Kawi ZX-6R, or '05-new ZZR-600, you pick.

What? New to him. That's a temporary plate.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

kylej posted:

The custom purple turd with TWZTD license plate surrounded by a fake barbwire frame, the Harley mama decked out in full officially branded gear, and the balding middle-age guy with the new sportbike who stalled it whenever the light went green. No helmets. This is New Hampshire motorcycling at its finest.

Live free or die, bitch.

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Nothing's wrong. Nothing is wrong. Everything is on track.

kylej posted:

The custom purple turd with TWZTD license plate surrounded by a fake barbwire frame, the Harley mama decked out in full officially branded gear, and the balding middle-age guy with the new sportbike who stalled it whenever the light went green. No helmets. This is New Hampshire motorcycling at its finest.
:( I can't refute that there is a lot of that in our fair state (motorcycle motto: Live Helmetless or Die), but here's what I did yesterday.. Not too offroad fantastical, but it's a KLR650, not a dirtbike, and I wasn't looking for anything too serious since a) I was by myself, and b) my cell service was questionable. Found these trails via google maps in satellite and terrain view. :)

You know those commercials talking about how a large percentage of our energy never makes it to our homes? Well, these make a fairly loud and ominous sounding buzz the whole time you're near them.

This trail ended at a river, so I went left, and it turned into this:

Then there was this.... field in the middle of the woods, looked like it had been mowed in the fall just before it stopped growing. There's a farm nearby, so I'd assume it's a hay field.

Then through this little pine glade kinda thing.

Since this was trespassing, I didn't stay too long.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

kylej posted:

Why do people thing a hoodie is appropriate gear for riding?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Bob Morales posted:

Because it kinda keeps you warm (assuming you've got a windscreen).

Orange Someone
Aug 20, 2007
Hmmm

Bob Morales posted:

The same company that makes my gear (Johama/Halvassons) also makes a motorcycling hoody. It does actually have kevlar in the shoulders and the elbows, but I thought that was taking comfort a lil' too far. I understand the reasons behind kevlar jeans, and I'll even wear them, whilst accepting that they provide less protection. I don't think there'd ever be a case where I'd wear a biking hoody instead of my bike jacket. It's not even as if it looks smarter, which might be the only complaint from the jacket.

And to end the derail, those are sweet pictures Fantasti. Images like that make me miss riding my XR. Oh well, I'll be back on it next week whilst my CB is out of commission.

vvv I did that, with the added bonus/drawback that I lived in Edinburgh for a number of years, so I knew exactly where he was doing those things. Made me wonder why I hadnae done them myself, lack of push-biking prowess not-withstanding.

Orange Someone fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Apr 25, 2009

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

Z3n posted:

http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1908415

I know, college humor, but...the entire video is pretty much :aaaaa:

I've watched this about 5 times now, holy gently caress this guy is good.

Is it wrong that after seeing this i started to look at dmr and monty looking for a trials bike even though i suck at bunnyhopping?

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Linedance posted:

New Guzzi V7 Cafe Classic

I hope people buy these nice new Guzzis and the brand stays in business. :unsmith:

Legerdemain
May 3, 2007

Maybe there's something wrong with me, Nanny.

Fantastipotamus posted:

KLR in white looks pretty sweet.

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

New Hampshire loving rules

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

rope kid posted:

I hope people buy these nice new Guzzis and the brand stays in business. :unsmith:

I've been seeing a lot of their larger cruisers around town. I didn't even realize there was a dealer in the area until a month or so ago.

ari.gato
Aug 13, 2003

rope kid posted:

How's that C7 Cafe compare to a Thruxton? The Thruxton was originally on my "next bike once the recession ends" list, but if the Guzzi is better, I might make the switch.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Fantastipotamus posted:

Found these trails via google maps in satellite and terrain view. :)

That's how I like to scout routes too! I don't go offroad though, very nice pics.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

ari.gato posted:

How's that C7 Cafe compare to a Thruxton? The Thruxton was originally on my "next bike once the recession ends" list, but if the Guzzi is better, I might make the switch.

from the brief bit I read about it, it's the same as the V7 Classic which gets consistent "nicer than the equivalent Triumph Bonneville" reviews, but compared to the Thruxton it doesn't have the same punch. It's a 50hp/40 foot pounds bike.
here's a review:
http://www.motorcycle.com/manufacturer/2009-moto-guzzi-v7-cafe-classic-review-88191.html
with more pictures at the bottom

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Nothing's wrong. Nothing is wrong. Everything is on track.

Ola posted:

That's how I like to scout routes too! I don't go offroad though, very nice pics.
Yeah, its pretty handy, but they really need to re-photograph us up here. It's clearly been a few years as I can barely make out cars or anything.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Fantastipotamus posted:

Yeah, its pretty handy, but they really need to re-photograph us up here. It's clearly been a few years as I can barely make out cars or anything.

Google Maps is horrible for this in Ontario:

Oh hey, thats a neat looking road. Lets just follow it and see where it... :argh:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

8ender posted:

Google Maps is horrible for this in Ontario:

Oh hey, thats a neat looking road. Lets just follow it and see where it... :argh:

Solution? http://shanekingsley.com/Two%20Wheeling/ontario_bikeroads.jpg

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

I lived right near Snake Rd., near Hamilton when I was in high school. This was before I rode and I knew that it would have been an awesome road to ride :(

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
1000 fps video of some MX bikes: http://vimeo.com/1527459

Seeing them land in super slow mo is pretty cool.

Orange Someone
Aug 20, 2007
Hmmm

powderific posted:

1000 fps video of some MX bikes: http://vimeo.com/1527459

Seeing them land in super slow mo is pretty cool.

woah, some of those shots looked so unblurry it was like they were actually CG. Very cool though, albeit a lil' frightening at how much suspension got used up at times.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Linedance posted:

from the brief bit I read about it, it's the same as the V7 Classic which gets consistent "nicer than the equivalent Triumph Bonneville" reviews, but compared to the Thruxton it doesn't have the same punch. It's a 50hp/40 foot pounds bike.
here's a review:
http://www.motorcycle.com/manufacturer/2009-moto-guzzi-v7-cafe-classic-review-88191.html

Actually I think the regular Bonnie outperforms it as well, the different cams in the Thruxton only add a couple of horse (not sure what they do to the power curve).

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I present to you ... a lovely youtube. Tried putting some foam over the mic port to improve audio. The results were abysmal. If I found this video I would be angry. But anyway, check out me almost losing the front end on some gravel at 0:34 and the hyperspace effect caused by noise and vibrations at 1:40.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVETa2C416Q

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

Click here for the full 1714x1132 image.

Here's a random shot I took of two beauties while down in Valencia for the WSBK round last month.

Trintintin
Jun 27, 2006

Ola posted:

check out me almost losing the front end on some gravel at 0:34

I love how it always looks like nothing big when you're not on the bike but when it happens you get that "Oh god I'm about to fall and die" feeling.

And thank you for the new desktop eggyolk! (Why the gently caress would arrow not make a 4 to 4 system for the mv that's always bothered me)

ari.gato
Aug 13, 2003
God that Duc 1098 is sexy.

Spartak
May 12, 2007
what matters most is how well you walk through the fire

eggyolk posted:

Here's a random shot I took of two beauties while down in Valencia for the WSBK round last month.

What would compel anyone to get rid of the greatest feature of the MV - the four pipes underneath the seat?

No, 'peformance' is not an answer dammit!

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Spartak posted:

What would compel anyone to get rid of the greatest feature of the MV - the four pipes underneath the seat?

No, 'peformance' is not an answer dammit!

Because its stupid looking. Yeah I said it. :smugbert:

Captain Apollo
Jun 24, 2003

King of the Pilots, CFI

Ola posted:

I present to you ... a lovely youtube. Tried putting some foam over the mic port to improve audio. The results were abysmal. If I found this video I would be angry. But anyway, check out me almost losing the front end on some gravel at 0:34 and the hyperspace effect caused by noise and vibrations at 1:40.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVETa2C416Q

WARP SPEED, ENGAGE!!!

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Linedance posted:

here's a review:
oh cool looks like it's not coming to the u.s.

:italy:

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

pr0zac posted:

Because its stupid looking. Yeah I said it. :smugbert:

Quoting the most absurd opinion in CA. Yeah, I said it :smugbert:

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
And now for todays episode of chips

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

rope kid posted:

oh cool looks like it's not coming to the u.s.

:italy:
Have they said that specifically? If the Classic does well here, I bet they'll trot the Cafe over.

MiamiKid
Dec 14, 2003
Rather than try to copy the all the pictures and text over, I'll just link to a thread on BARF. Somebody has some interesting pictures...

http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=292345

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Apologies for the quality, the lighting in my garage is bright, then the camera tacked the flash on top of it, and everything just came out lovely.

Anyway, I found out why my Kawasaki died on me last year. Crank bearings.

Click here for the full 1200x900 image.

Its actually missing two ball bearings, and the parts that hold them. I dont know where they went. They arent in the crankcase, they arent anywhere.

Weird.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Since someone linked BARF does anyone know that guys from BARF that went on to be a Moto GP mechanic's website?

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

MiamiKid posted:

Rather than try to copy the all the pictures and text over, I'll just link to a thread on BARF. Somebody has some interesting pictures...

http://www.bayarearidersforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=292345

Thanks to a link someone posted here I know that the red stuff on his chain was likely the lube inside the rings coming out and drying up.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

KidDynamite posted:

Since someone linked BARF does anyone know that guys from BARF that went on to be a Moto GP mechanic's website?

http://www.motoliam.com/

MiamiKid
Dec 14, 2003

8ender posted:

Thanks to a link someone posted here I know that the red stuff on his chain was likely the lube inside the rings coming out and drying up.

Yeah, someone posted similar information in the thread on BARF as well. I guess it's not as crazy as rust, but I can't imagine that it's good for the chain?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

MiamiKid posted:

Yeah, someone posted similar information in the thread on BARF as well. I guess it's not as crazy as rust, but I can't imagine that it's good for the chain?

It's not as crazy as rust, but it's the sign of an o-ring chain becoming an old school roller pin only chain, and those things sucked balls. I ran one on my ZX6E once and it was the worst loving chain ever.