Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003
Holy poo poo I tried the old palm TX f a friend and it's so geared at GETTING THINGS DONE. Also I love how you can be on the phone and look at the agenda at the same time without looking like a tool with a bluetooth earthingie too.
Any alternative to it ? Maybe a GPS that is also a good (non cellphone) PDA ?

Failing that, any (touchscreen ???) phone that is as good for working and not just looking fancy ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Spatule posted:

Holy poo poo I tried the old palm TX f a friend and it's so geared at GETTING THINGS DONE. Also I love how you can be on the phone and look at the agenda at the same time without looking like a tool with a bluetooth earthingie too.
Any alternative to it ? Maybe a GPS that is also a good (non cellphone) PDA ?

Failing that, any (touchscreen ???) phone that is as good for working and not just looking fancy ?

Palm has a new phone, the Pre, due out later this year. It's been getting a lot of good buzz, so that might be right up your alley.

God of Evil Cows
Feb 23, 2007

Let this be our final battle!
Country/Provider: USA; something that works well in the D.C. area (I'm thinking Verizon for reception in the Metro)

Current contract status: None.

Budget (phone/plan): Phone: under $500 (less is better); Plan, as cheap as possible (I don't use the phone much).

Features I know I want: a good camera, decent amount of storage, a GPS, and as small and light as possible.

I'm looking for a decent phone, not a portable internet platform like a blackberry or iPhone. I hardly use my current cell phone but am looking for an upgrade from my lovely six-year-old prepaid cell phone that gets reception nowhere and is on the brink of death. I'd like a GPS, but preferably one that does not require an additional monthly fee (I don't know if all GPS service requires a monthly fee or not).

God of Evil Cows fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Apr 24, 2009

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

God of Evil Cows posted:

I'd like a GPS, but preferably one that does not require an additional monthly fee (I don't know if all GPS service requires a monthly fee or not).

Here's how GPS works. If you want to use the GPS service from your provider, there is a monthly fee as it is a subscription service. If you choose to use another program such as Google Maps, you will have to use a data from your provider, which can typically range from $15-30 dollars. The upside to that is you can also go ahead and use the other data services as well such as email and IM clients.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

Joe Don Baker posted:

Here's how GPS works. If you want to use the GPS service from your provider, there is a monthly fee as it is a subscription service. If you choose to use another program such as Google Maps, you will have to use a data from your provider, which can typically range from $15-30 dollars. The upside to that is you can also go ahead and use the other data services as well such as email and IM clients.

There's also programs like TomTom that you buy on or load onto a memory card that require no fees after the initial purchase and require no data connection. This is the cheapest option since there's no recurring charges.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

900ftjesus posted:

There's also programs like TomTom that you buy on or load onto a memory card that require no fees after the initial purchase and require no data connection. This is the cheapest option since there's no recurring charges.

How does that work? Does it NOT pull down data at all? Do you have keep updating the software on your phone by connecting it to a PC? I've seen those apps from TomTom, but I always assumed they were just fancier than using Google Maps or ATT Navigator.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

Joe Don Baker posted:

How does that work? Does it NOT pull down data at all? Do you have keep updating the software on your phone by connecting it to a PC? I've seen those apps from TomTom, but I always assumed they were just fancier than using Google Maps or ATT Navigator.

It's the TomTom software that runs on their standalone units ported to WinMo or PalmOS and the maps are stored on the phone so there's no need for an active data connection.

gotly
Oct 28, 2007
Economy-Sized
* Country/Provider: USA/completely open but needs to have 3G speeds in Kansas City.

* Current contract status: ending within the month

* Budget: $250-300, do phones really get more expensive than that?

Needs:
I'm looking for an internet/email phone. I think the iPhone has all my needs covered but the monthly bill seems pretty huge for the most basic package and I'm having my doubts about the touch keyboard even though people seem to like it when they get used to it. I would love GPS capabilities with turn by turn instructions, does the iPhone do that?

I'm moving to Kansas City in July and I'm going to be working for a Big Corporation. Am I going to be laughed at by the big executives if I whip out an iPhone instead of a Blackberry? For those of you working for the Man, does an iPhone work well with corporate intranets, exchange servers, POP, etc? I know it lists it as a feature but in my experience Apple products don't play nicely with Microsoft products and I'm pretty sure we'll be using Exchange for everything.

I'm also open to other smartphones but I wouldn't consider a sliding phone, I think they're tacky.

kbar
Aug 9, 2002

The iPhone is a very good Exchange phone. You'll be fine, but you'll be paying a lot.

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

kalibar posted:

The iPhone is a very good Exchange phone. You'll be fine, but you'll be paying a lot.

No poo poo, the iPhone does ActiveSync better than my Windows Mobile 6 phone.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
I'm looking for a smartphone. It must have good GPS capability and be fairly rugged. It should also be affordable (no more than 300 euros, tops).

Right now, I own a Nokia 5500, which is a pretty solid phone. It has survived many careless drops to the floor. I'm looking for something that approaches that level of ruggedness - not necessarily military rugged, but tough enough for a careless, clumsy guy like me.

I've considered the Symbol MC35, but the reviews I've read haven't been glowing enough for me.

GhostOfTomNook
Aug 17, 2003

El gallo Pinto no pinta,
el que pinta es el pintor.

Current Contract: None
Budget: about $120 max/month for 2 lines. Phones can be up to $200
Phone Features: Good browser, wifi, easy-to-use qwerty keyboard, good phone software (ie no constant ROM updates please)
Plan Features: Friends/Family type thing would be nice (but we can share about 500 minutes), unlimited data, 1000 or so text messages

If the Pre comes out by the time we need it (June 17th at the earliest), we'll probably both get one of those with an EPRP Sprint plan, but if not, is there any iPhone plan that would get us those features for about $120/month? Maybe after a new iPhone is released we can swoop in and pick up some unlocked iPhone 3Gs on ebay to use on t-mobile.

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

pragan4 posted:

Current Contract: None
Budget: about $120 max/month for 2 lines. Phones can be up to $200
Phone Features: Good browser, wifi, easy-to-use qwerty keyboard, good phone software (ie no constant ROM updates please)
Plan Features: Friends/Family type thing would be nice (but we can share about 500 minutes), unlimited data, 1000 or so text messages

If the Pre comes out by the time we need it (June 17th at the earliest), we'll probably both get one of those with an EPRP Sprint plan, but if not, is there any iPhone plan that would get us those features for about $120/month? Maybe after a new iPhone is released we can swoop in and pick up some unlocked iPhone 3Gs on ebay to use on t-mobile.

Of the options you mentioned, you will definitely be able to hit your monthly budget with a Pre on EPRP and every rumor has it releasing in the May/June timeframe. I haven't checked T-Mo's prices in a while, but I'm not sure you can get what you're looking for for $60/month per phone, but I really haven't checked out their prices in a while.

Nublington
Jul 2, 2007
Hey, I'm looking to buy a new phone, hopefully replacing my old mp3-player aswell. Price can go pretty high as long as it's a good value, let's say <$700.

Here's a short list of functions graded after relevance to me:

1. GPS, I'm not so tech-savvy but if you don't have to be online while using it that'd be a plus.
2. Dictionaries, graphing calculator, text editor, perhaps even console emulators? I really don't know what's available.
3. Mp3-player (long battery life and good audio quality is vital!), support for memory sticks
4. Video player
5. Internet, camera.

I'd be thankful for any suggestions :)

EDIT: Looking at the HTC Touch HD, seems like a pretty solid choice, probably gonna go with it.

Nublington fucked around with this message at 14:23 on May 1, 2009

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN

Nublington posted:

Hey, I'm looking to buy a new phone, hopefully replacing my old mp3-player aswell. Price can go pretty high as long as it's a good value, let's say <$700.

1. GPS, I'm not so tech-savvy but if you don't have to be online while using it that'd be a plus.
2. Dictionaries, graphing calculator, text editor, perhaps even console emulators? I really don't know what's available.
3. Mp3-player (long battery life and good audio quality is vital!), support for memory sticks
4. Video player
5. Internet, camera.

EDIT: Looking at the HTC Touch HD, seems like a pretty solid choice, probably gonna go with it.

Also look into the T-Mobile G-1 - the handset is made by HTC as well, it's touchscreen, has GPS, a Youtube client, mp3 player, free apps, wifi, and a full featured internet browser. The battery life is the only iffy part, but you can adjust options to make the battery last longer depending on what you need enabled - ie turning off wi-fi will make it last a lot longer, especially if you aren't going to be in a hotspot anyways. I use my G-1 as my car mp3 player, and it's great. I've also had success streaming online radio into my car through the G-1.

Pretty much does everything an iPhone does without being made by apple.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Nublington posted:

4. Video player
5. Internet, camera.

If you really need that memory card support, then I think a Touch HD would be best. The iPhone 3G is really your best choice. It'll do everything you want in the apps category. You can do voice navigation GPS with xGPS which is a jailbreak app. Console emulators can be done with a jailbreak. The iPhone 3G is the best music player and it's also a good video player. The Internet browser is great. The camera is passable but you need good light for it to work well.

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

# Country/Provider: For use in North Africa, Western Europe

# Current contract status: N/A

# Budget (phone/plan): Cheap as possible (under $50?)

# Features I know I want: GSM so it uses SIM cards, text messaging ability, can be bought online (preferably)

I don't know anything about GSM phones, even after reading the FAQ.. I just want something cheap yet usable that I can travel with. If it has a good battery life, that's a plus, but I'm not willing to pay too much extra for that. How's a Nokia 1208?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Florida Betty posted:

# Country/Provider: For use in North Africa, Western Europe

# Current contract status: N/A

# Budget (phone/plan): Cheap as possible (under $50?)

# Features I know I want: GSM so it uses SIM cards, text messaging ability, can be bought online (preferably)

I don't know anything about GSM phones, even after reading the FAQ.. I just want something cheap yet usable that I can travel with. If it has a good battery life, that's a plus, but I'm not willing to pay too much extra for that. How's a Nokia 1208?

If this is going to be a primary phone - as in 'you'll use it in the States' - look for quadband. Probably won't be cheap. If not, 900/1800 is enough. You'll have to check, though, since it's easy to get confused on frequencies and North America has to be different from everyone else.

That said, unless you're really worried about being eaten by customs, if you already HAVE a quadband phone, going to Europe is a pretty good excuse for getting an unlock code. (Ignore this line if you're on Verizon or Sprint.)

All that said, as long as you're careful about getting the right frequency (again, 900/1800), the 1208 should be fine; lower end Nokia phones are robust as all hell.

v v v Fair enough. And yes, that should do the trick. Good luck.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 17:28 on May 2, 2009

Florida Betty
Sep 24, 2004

Sir Unimaginative posted:

If this is going to be a primary phone - as in 'you'll use it in the States' - look for quadband. Probably won't be cheap. If not, 900/1800 is enough. You'll have to check, though, since it's easy to get confused on frequencies and North America has to be different from everyone else.

That said, unless you're really worried about being eaten by customs, if you already HAVE a quadband phone, going to Europe is a pretty good excuse for getting an unlock code. (Ignore this line if you're on Verizon or Sprint.)

All that said, as long as you're careful about getting the right frequency (again, 900/1800), the 1208 should be fine; lower end Nokia phones are robust as all hell.

I already have a primary phone for the US, I just need something for traveling that I won't mind losing. I don't need anything fancy. So all I need to look for is 900/1800, unlocked, and GSM? I'm sorry I don't know anything about this at all, but thanks for your help.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Florida Betty posted:

I already have a primary phone for the US, I just need something for traveling that I won't mind losing. I don't need anything fancy. So all I need to look for is 900/1800, unlocked, and GSM? I'm sorry I don't know anything about this at all, but thanks for your help.

The 1208 only supports US frequencies plus it would be locked to T-Mobile. Get a phone like this. It's a quad-band unlocked GSM phone. Motorola can make junk phones but you said you don't really care about the phone.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Godzilla07 posted:

The 1208 only supports US frequencies plus it would be locked to T-Mobile. Get a phone like this. It's a quad-band unlocked GSM phone. Motorola can make junk phones but you said you don't really care about the phone.

There's multiple variants of the 1208 (for different regions) and I'm pretty sure she's buying unlocked anyway.

The Store
May 2, 2009

I want to replace my piece of poo poo VX9400 (Verizon) with a QWERTY phone.
I don't want a Blackberry.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!
Girlfriend and I are looking for a shared plan, and think we've narrowed it down to two options. Can we get some general impressions on AT&T v. Sprint vis-a-vis family plans (best deal, best coverage*, best phones)? She has Sprint now and is happy, pays $50/mo; I have Verizon and am indifferent. She's a moderate phone user and I am extremely light, so the barest amount of shared minutes should be fine.

* We live in Philly now but might move anywhere between here and the west coast for work in summer.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I'm so sick of Virgin Mobile's service. Recommend me a cheap and contractless pay as you go plan.

dr gumby
Sep 27, 2007

by angerbotSD
# What provider you're with, if you already have phone service

Going with Vodafone Australia

# What features are must-haves and what features you'd like to have

Office functions, support for exchange email, wi-fi, voice, text, a screen

# If you've seen any phones that strike your fancy, so we know what kind of design you want

I'm tossing up between the Nokia E75 and the iPhone. I've just got a Touch and really enjoy Apple's touch interface (particularly text input... I use it to handwrite Mandarin), however lack of a free document editor and poor reviews of the iPhone's battery life are of concern. Apple's ongoing software support and the app store is a plus.

As for the E75, I haven't had a chance to get my hands on it, but I am concerned the slide-out keyboard will be a little clunky. Add to that the lack of touch screen UI and small screen size, and it is enough to give me second thoughts.

Essentially I want something that is easy to type out email on, as well as being easy to use to read and edit office documents and pdf files.

Any thoughts?

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

dr gumby posted:

# What provider you're with, if you already have phone service

Going with Vodafone Australia

# What features are must-haves and what features you'd like to have

Office functions, support for exchange email, wi-fi, voice, text, a screen

# If you've seen any phones that strike your fancy, so we know what kind of design you want

I'm tossing up between the Nokia E75 and the iPhone. I've just got a Touch and really enjoy Apple's touch interface (particularly text input... I use it to handwrite Mandarin), however lack of a free document editor and poor reviews of the iPhone's battery life are of concern. Apple's ongoing software support and the app store is a plus.

As for the E75, I haven't had a chance to get my hands on it, but I am concerned the slide-out keyboard will be a little clunky. Add to that the lack of touch screen UI and small screen size, and it is enough to give me second thoughts.

Essentially I want something that is easy to type out email on, as well as being easy to use to read and edit office documents and pdf files.

Any thoughts?

Think about the Touch Pro. It's got a large slide-out keyboard which is comfortable to type on. It's got Mobile Office which is good. The Touch Pro does have WM which has its own little quirks but look into the Touch Pro thread for ways to improve the device. Installing a custom ROM is a big help. You also have handwriting recognition with the Touch Pro because it has a resistive screen.

georanma
Jun 18, 2004
USA/Tmobile
considering switching to verizon though, so a phone that can do both gsm and cdma could be useful.

My contract is up, but I dont know how bad I want to re up. I may end up adding a line for my gf soon and that is gonna force another year onto my lack of contract as is.

100-350 (350 is really more than Id like to spend but still do able and 400 is more than I should spend)

I need atleast a smart phone. Id like to get something with decently close to real web browsing. Touch screen is nice but not nessicary. Been used to the text message style of a wimob phone (have an htc shadow). Im interested in the tmobile hot spot at home service as well, but not nessicary. data tethering would be nice too. qwerty or the expanded keyboard like on the shadow or pearl is a must.
interested in a few phones already: bb 8900, g1, touch viva, maybe one of the nokia n or e series

georanma fucked around with this message at 02:42 on May 4, 2009

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

A phone is either going to support GSM OR CDMA. Not both. A Google search reveals only one phone that does support both, but it does not meet your other requirements.

dr gumby
Sep 27, 2007

by angerbotSD

Godzilla07 posted:

Think about the Touch Pro. It's got a large slide-out keyboard which is comfortable to type on. It's got Mobile Office which is good. The Touch Pro does have WM which has its own little quirks but look into the Touch Pro thread for ways to improve the device. Installing a custom ROM is a big help. You also have handwriting recognition with the Touch Pro because it has a resistive screen.

Unfortunately Touch Pro isn't an option as Vodafone doesn't offer it, and the company that does is horrible/makes you pay through the teeth.

So, E75 or iPhone?

georanma
Jun 18, 2004

Joe Don Baker posted:

A phone is either going to support GSM OR CDMA. Not both. A Google search reveals only one phone that does support both, but it does not meet your other requirements.

Then how come the nokia page says

quote:

* HSCSD
* GPRS class A, multislot class 32, maximum speed 100/60 kbps (DL/UL)
* EDGE class A, multislot class 32, maximum speed 296/177.6 kbps (DL/UL)
* WCDMA 850/1900 MHz, maximum speed 384/384 kbps (DL/UL)
* HSDPA class 6, maximum speed 3.6 Mbps/384 kbps (DL/UL)
* WLAN IEEE 802.11b/g
* WLAN Security: WEP, 802.1X, WPA, WPA2
* TCP/IP support
* Nokia PC Internet Access (capability to serve as a data modem)
* IETF SIP and 3GPP
and then like on newegg they list two unlocked storm's that both state they have the gsm radio in them. difference being one having umts and then another being ev-do

georanma fucked around with this message at 04:48 on May 4, 2009

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

georanma posted:

Then how come the nokia page says

Because people don't always use the right terms to refer to things.

WCDMA as listed there is actually UMTS - in other words, the 3G extension of GSM (which is TDMA, which means that most 3G phones already have two radios).

CDMA as most people know it is iS-95 (2G) or iS-2000 (3G).

They may use the same basic composition, but HOW they use it is entirely different.

Things like HSPA (for UMTS) or EVDO (for iS-2000) are simply data extensions to the protocols.

EDIT: The Storm is meant to be a phone you can use in the outside world even if you're on Verizon, as if being able to pay $3 a minute is going to be any more effective a means of keeping people from hiring local service than just plain being unable to place a call.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 04:50 on May 4, 2009

georanma
Jun 18, 2004

Because people don't always use the right terms to refer to things.

WCDMA as listed there is actually UMTS - in other words, the 3G extension of GSM (which is TDMA, which means that most 3G phones already have two radios).

CDMA as most people know it is iS-95 (2G) or iS-2000 (3G).

They may use the same basic composition, but HOW they use it is entirely different.

Things like HSPA (for UMTS) or EVDO (for iS-2000) are simply data extensions to the protocols.

EDIT: The Storm is meant to be a phone you can use in the outside world even if you're on Verizon, as if being able to pay $3 a minute is going to be any more effective a means of keeping people from hiring local service than just plain being unable to place a call.

still doesnt change the the sites Im reading continue to say

quote:

Wireless Radio: EGSM 850/900/1800/1900 MHz WCDMA 850/1900 MHz

Maybe you can enlighten further.

edit: read some more sites that say it should work np, just not 3g and seeing as how I cant get 3g in Jackonsville I dont care too much.

georanma fucked around with this message at 04:59 on May 4, 2009

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

georanma posted:

request for clarification, I think

And THAT is because

A) Calling them 'GSM' and 'CDMA' is an inaccuracy we accept for expedience. In truth, 'GSM' is the 3GPP modulation standard (UMTS (WCDMA) with GSM fallback), and 'CDMA' is the 3GPP2 modulation standard (iS-2000 with iS-95 (CDMA) fallback). Yes, there were two different (and fairly unimaginative) industry bodies involved. In any case, using the 'right' names would be confusing and prejudicial.

B) EGSM was some weird attempt in Europe to make GSM last longer. (It still uses TDMA and the true GSM protocol.) They had a good reason, though: unlike CDMA's 3G upgrade, which could be done in software (or at least firmware), GSM's used a whole different radio modulation, so they had to invest far more into 3G everywhere that wasn't CDMA territory (which meant that places like East Asia, Israel and the US got a bit of a lead in signal quality and data transfer - and, at least in the US, promptly pissed it away).

v v v Yeah, I'd just do that. (This becomes really easy then: aside from the Storm, I don't know of any Verizon or Sprint phones in the US that have a port for SIMs, and none of them actually use SIMs to access Verizon or Sprint service.)

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 05:18 on May 4, 2009

georanma
Jun 18, 2004

And THAT is because

A) Calling them 'GSM' and 'CDMA' is an inaccuracy we accept for expedience. In truth, 'GSM' is the 3GPP modulation standard (UMTS (WCDMA) with GSM fallback), and 'CDMA' is the 3GPP2 modulation standard (iS-2000 with iS-95 (CDMA) fallback). Yes, there were two different (and fairly unimaginative) industry bodies involved. In any case, using the 'right' names would be confusing and prejudicial.

B) EGSM was some weird attempt in Europe to make GSM last longer. (It still uses TDMA and the true GSM protocol.) They had a good reason, though: unlike CDMA's 3G upgrade, which could be done in software (or at least firmware), GSM's used a whole different radio modulation, so they had to invest far more into 3G everywhere that wasn't CDMA territory (which meant that places like East Asia, Israel and the US got a bit of a lead in signal quality and data transfer - and, at least in the US, promptly pissed it away).
Sounds like I just need to meet with the guy and hopefully pop in my sim card and test since its something on craigslist.

Spatule
Mar 18, 2003
I'm in Europe, in a country where we get only unlocked (expensive) phones.
I want an ultra thin gsm phone with bluetooth, amazing battery life and a "good" camera with video. Nothing fancy.

ChauchetRedemption
Sep 11, 2001

Were not accustomed to occupying defensive positions. Its destructive to morale.
Budget: $500 US
Phone Features: Compatibility with many bands, qwerty keyboard, SIM slot, GPS OR able to run TomTom.

I get thrown all over the place whilst in the employ of DoS, so maximum compatibility is a must. The majority of my coworkers use a Blackberry of some flavor, but I'd prefer something more pocketable, like the T-Mobile G1.

The mandatory minimum requirements are listed in the Phone features. But the more bells and whistles, the merrier.

I have no plan or phone as of now due to my traveling status. But when I do decide to stop playing international leapfrog I want to be able to use the phone in SoCal on a decent plan with good rates on texting. (Which should be loving free anyway :argh:)

ChauchetRedemption fucked around with this message at 17:53 on May 4, 2009

kbar
Aug 9, 2002

Spatule posted:

I'm in Europe, in a country where we get only unlocked (expensive) phones.
I want an ultra thin gsm phone with bluetooth, amazing battery life and a "good" camera with video. Nothing fancy.
Ultra-thin and good camera don't usually go hand in hand -- phones with good cameras tend to be thicker, since optics are thick.

Look at the Nokia N82 and/or N79. They're winners, if you don't have any operating system predispositions (Symbian lol).

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Magnum1371 posted:

Budget: $500 US
Phone Features: Compatibility with many bands, qwerty keyboard, SIM slot, GPS OR able to run TomTom.

I get thrown all over the place whilst in the employ of DoS, so maximum compatibility is a must. The majority of my coworkers use a Blackberry of some flavor, but I'd prefer something more pocketable, like the T-Mobile G1.

The mandatory minimum requirements are listed in the Phone features. But the more bells and whistles, the merrier.

I have no plan or phone as of now due to my traveling status. But when I do decide to stop playing international leapfrog I want to be able to use the phone in SoCal on a decent plan with good rates on texting. (Which should be loving free anyway :argh:)

The G1 isn't as pocketable as a BlackBerry because it has the Jay Leno chin and the slide-out keyboard makes it fatter than the Bold.

I'd take the Bold. It's got the best QWERTY on the market. It has quad-band GSM and tri-band 3G support. It also has the ability to run Garmin software with its GPS. The 8900 is a smaller version of the Bold but it comes without 3G. Other alternatives are the Nokia E71. Get the NAM version of the E71 because it comes with support for AT&T 3G. The E71 is also the thinnest smartphone available at 10mm thickness. The build quality on the E71 is also better than the Bold.

TheOldMan
Jul 6, 2004
You call this a glitch!?
Country/Provider: Northern VA/DC, Probably Verizon since I hear they have the best DC area coverage

Current contract status: Prepaid (Virgin Mobile, Marbl)

Budget (phone/plan): Phone: $100-150 Plan: $50 a month or so

Features I know I want: Good battery life

I'm currently on a pre-paid plan with Virgin which is OK except the phone itself is pretty crappy. When I graduate and move to DC to start working I'm planning on just having a cell phone to cover my phone needs so I need a better phone and plan. I don't really care about features, I only use my current phone for calling and text messages and I will probably use the next phone I get for the same purposes. Any extra features are just icing on the cake. I am more concerned about good reception and battery life since it will be my only phone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

georanma
Jun 18, 2004
Just wanted to post an update. The e71 I got today works great with tmobile and I even got my data plan turn on tonight. Now just to get it tethered with my macbook for mobile net this weekend.