Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar

Doctor Zero posted:

It's awesome that I made the kid's day with just a simple wave. (and I'm also glad I wear all my gear and a full helmet. I hope he remembers that.)

I had something similar happen when I was just randomly riding around some neighborhood; I got lost in the maze of twisty little streets all alike and rode past the same house twice. The first time I went past there were all these little kids in the yard and they were all HEY A MOTORCYCLE, COOL and yelling and whatnot. The second time they saw me coming and were yelling REV IT!! REV IT!! so I let it rip a few times. They all started cheering like I had just gotten married in an '80s movie or something, it was nuts. Totally put a smile on my face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChiliMac
Apr 13, 2005

That's why I never kiss 'em on the mouth.
I just noticed this in the latest HF circular:

Motorcycle rear stand

Fork adapter

Some more competition in the cheap stands market. No triple tree adapter yet.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
Might be worth checking craigslist for used stands. I picked up a used Pitbull front stand (stem, not forklift) for under $100. It's in great shape though I still need to buy a rear stand before I can use it safely.

ChiliMac
Apr 13, 2005

That's why I never kiss 'em on the mouth.

ChiliMac posted:

I just noticed this in the latest HF circular:

Motorcycle rear stand

Fork adapter

Some more competition in the cheap stands market. No triple tree adapter yet.

Forgot to mention the price: 36.99 for the stand; 9.99 for the fork adapter.

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"
Anyone tried out the new BMW G450? I was in the local dealership the other day picking a filter wrench up for my day (specialized tools :argh: ), and threw a leg over one. I haven't ridden a dirt bike since I was about 12, so my frame of reference is pretty limited, but it seemed like the ergos were nice - although the seat felt rock loving hard. I was also a little put off by the $CAD9999 price tag, and the 30hr service intervals. :( Am I a bad person for thinking about trading my trackbike for a dirtbike or sumo?

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Was it Phat Albert all hyped to find the elusive Fat Cat? I don't remember.

Here's one for sale, cheap too:

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=455555

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

If only it was closer, AND I didnt have 9 other bike projects going on.

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008

Phat_Albert posted:

If only it was closer, AND I didnt have 9 other bike projects going on.

Yep.

There are many trails I would tackle on a Fat Cat. Most of the trails around here are peat over glacier silt, it's great for burying equipment but so so good for trail riding.

I know, Rokon. :sigh:

Orange Someone
Aug 20, 2007
Hmmm
ARGH!!

New tyres and chain and sprocket were put on at the garage, before they gave it the MOT. Which it promptly failed. Aparently the rear shocks are gone, the front seals are gone, the indicators on the right side aren't working, the bars are bent and the brake pedal sticks.

And to make matters worse, the parts aren't in stock at the suppliers, so they have to order them in, which won't appear until at least tuesday. The MOT finishes at midnight on monday. At least I have another bike I can use until this one is fixed.

On the other hand, the new rubber (BT45s) feels so drat nice, and I finally realise how flat the other tyres were. It's just so easy to tip it in now.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Simkin posted:

Am I a bad person for thinking about trading my trackbike for a dirtbike or sumo?

I'm in the same boat. Racing/tracking can be very rough and expensive, and I've been very, very tempted to swap it for a nice sumo and run the 40$ trackdays down at grange/etc. I'll finish out this season first, but I may be going to the sumo side soon. :sigh:

Simkin
May 18, 2007

I have to reconcile the cost of transporting to/from the track, the 6 hour (at least) return trip, and of course the cost of consumables (food, tyres, brake pads, etc.). Also, it's always hot as gently caress at the track, and I don't fare so well with heat. :smithicide:

I think I may try to just sneak across on the ferry to a trackday or two at a real track - one with right turns as well as left ones. That may change my mind on the matter. Then again, there are sumo races at a local track (15 min drive). :cry:

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Google says 'sumo racing' is RC racing...is that what you guys are talking about or is it slang for something else?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Sloppy posted:

Google says 'sumo racing' is RC racing...is that what you guys are talking about or is it slang for something else?

Supermoto. Fat people in ridiculous clothing is another tie in.

OrangeFurious
Oct 14, 2005

Ce n'est pas une St. Furious.

Ola posted:

Supermoto. Fat people in ridiculous clothing is another tie in.

What's the big appeal of supermotards? The KTMs and Ducatis I've seen at dealerships feel about as heavy (not moving) as a regular sportbike, but with the added discomfort of a dirtbike's banana seat. The people I know who've ridden them - the Ducati specifically - are totally overcome with inarticulate raving praises.

I'm not hating, I just don't get it. Clue me in.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

OrangeFurious posted:

What's the big appeal of supermotards? The KTMs and Ducatis I've seen at dealerships feel about as heavy (not moving) as a regular sportbike, but with the added discomfort of a dirtbike's banana seat. The people I know who've ridden them - the Ducati specifically - are totally overcome with inarticulate raving praises.

Because Ducati don't make a Supermotard (no, the Hypermotard isn't one) and what KTM did you sit on? The biggest proper SM they make is the 690 SM-C, all the others are the smaller engines.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

OrangeFurious posted:

Dont take anything anyone says about the Ducati Hypermotard as actually applying to real supermoto bikes.

The KTM I cant explain. Is it possible you were on one of their bigger adventure bikes outfitted with street tires?

mutt2jeff
Oct 2, 2004
The one, the only....

OrangeFurious posted:

Basically, as the other guys said, you weren't sitting on a real supermoto. Things like the superduke and hypermotoard are fun bikes, but vastly overweight and overlarge compared to a dirt bike converted or a specialty sumo like the husky 450.

mutt2jeff fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Apr 22, 2009

OrangeFurious
Oct 14, 2005

mutt2jeff posted:

Basically, as the other guys said, you weren't sitting on a real supermoto. Things like the superduke and hypermotoard are fun bikes, but vastly overweight and overlarge compared to a dirt bike converted or a specialty sumo like the husky 450.

The superduke and hypermotard are the bikes I was thinking of. I may be off in my definition of a sumos.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
the superduke and hypermotard are really just fancy looking standards. :-)

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Does anyone want to trade a pretty huge magnetic tank bag for any sort of strappable tank bag? drat Aprilia.

OrangeFurious
Oct 14, 2005

n8r posted:

Does anyone want to trade a pretty huge magnetic tank bag for any sort of strappable tank bag? drat Aprilia.

I've got a magnet/strappable that doesn't quite do it for me. Might be too small for you though.

http://www.newenoughhp.com/luggage/tank_bags/fieldsheer/dual_mounting_mini_tank_bag.html

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Is it wrong to covet something as insane as a V4 based off of four separate 500cc 2T dirtbike engines mated to a single crankshaft?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ceeyrmn2Pj4

:aaaaa::fh:

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
Only 200hp? No tuned pipes? Pshaw. A CR500 based v4 should be able to do at least 280hp in street tune. :-)

How about 250hp on 1136cc. New cylinders on a kawasaki triple goes a long way..

http://www.twostrokeshop.com/TSS1100GP.htm

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Simkin posted:

Is it wrong to covet something as insane as a V4 based off of four separate 500cc 2T dirtbike engines mated to a single crankshaft?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ceeyrmn2Pj4

:aaaaa::fh:

That is wide. Really wide. I wonder what you'd even mount that in...

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I have 12 issues of Cycle World and four issues of All Metric Road Bike from 2008 if anyone wants them. You pay for shipping.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3121485

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Phat_Albert posted:

scanning/printing gaskets...

i did this for my mates grey import cb400 as we couldn't get a gasket for it anywhere at the time. i actually scanned the engine case and printed straight onto gasket paper, worked a treat, just have to be really careful when cutting it out.

edit: obviously i dicked around with the scanned image in photoshop to get a solid black gasket outline. it wasn't hard though, and if you're scanning the actual gasket then its even easier.

echomadman fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Apr 23, 2009

Simkin
May 18, 2007

Z3n posted:

That is wide. Really wide. I wonder what you'd even mount that in...

A Guzzi, duh. Show the world the correct orientation of Vee engines in motorcycles.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Simkin posted:

A Guzzi, duh. Show the world the correct orientation of Vee engines in motorcycles.

It'd probably be narrower mounted like that too :xd:

redscare
Aug 14, 2003
How horrible of an idea is an older Triumph Bonneville or something similar?

redscare fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Apr 24, 2009

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho
On that note how is a triumph Daytona say circa 2001 and forward?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

A friend of mine had a 2000-ish TT 600, and it was a huge pile of poo poo. Take that as you will.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

redscare posted:

Depends on what you mean by "older." Vintage Bonnevilles will be really hard to find, but the new-ish ones are supposed to be nice bikes.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Phat_Albert posted:

A friend of mine had a 2000-ish TT 600, and it was a huge pile of poo poo. Take that as you will.

Weren't the old 4 cylinder models not so great? I know the newer triples are supposed to be ok

OrangeFurious
Oct 14, 2005

lancemantis posted:

Weren't the old 4 cylinder models not so great? I know the newer triples are supposed to be ok

The Daytona 675 is the most fun thing I've ever ridden, and from what I have heard pretty reliable. The 1050cc Speed Triple has torque like you would not believe and is also pretty solid. In the case of both engines, you need to be very aware that it is weird and British. If you take your general Japanese sportbike assumptions and start working on one you just may kill it. A friend had a Speed Triple that took a lot of damage because the dealership refused to follow Triumph's instructions and let their staff of Honda mechanics (who I'm sure were great on Hondas) deal with it. I think it took 'em five attempts to change some gaskets.

The older Triumph sport bikes are fun too, but I wouldn't trust one for reliability. Don't expect to break down on every corner, but don't expect it to last like a Honda either.

As older Bonnevilles go - and I assume you mean the 60s here - think of cars from the 30s. You could daily drive one, but it would be a huge investment of time and effort to keep it going. If you don't love that bike, and aren't willing to wrench on it constantly, it'll drive you nuts.

If older Bonnevilles means the Modern Classic line (e.g., made in the 2000s), go for it. Solid, simple, reliable and fairly cheap.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006

redscare posted:

I talked to a cafe racer shop in austin. They basically said own at least two to get to work and maybe 3 if you want to ride on the weekend. They were basically joking about how you have to love working on them to even consider riding it. Basically 50 miles and you got a bit of work to ride again...

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
man, a rebel 250 (i think) rode by my car this morning and that was the least appealing motorcycle noise i've ever heard. an uneven wheezy putt-putt noise that makes my lawnmower sound sexy. if any of you own one, you have my pity.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

man, a rebel 250 (i think) rode by my car this morning and that was the least appealing motorcycle noise i've ever heard. an uneven wheezy putt-putt noise that makes my lawnmower sound sexy. if any of you own one, you have my pity.
I have a 200 Twinstar (the 250 Nighthawk's grandpa), but it doesn't have cruiser pipes, so it's not that bad. (For the record, I'm 6'2" and ~260 lbs...it looks hilarious.)

Dagen H fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Apr 26, 2009

Webbeh
Dec 13, 2003

IF THIS IS A 'LOST' THREAD I'M PROBABLY WHINING ABOUT
STABBEY THE MEANY
Sharing Coupons-related love with all the goons in AI:

A free year to Motorcyclist magazine!

I usually only see Car & Driver or Automobile, so this is a welcome surprise to find. And I figure you guys might enjoy it. :)

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho

Webbeh posted:

I usually only see Car & Driver or Automobile, so this is a welcome surprise to find. And I figure you guys might enjoy it. :)

Awesome man thanks alot! Looks like it might be a decent magazine and it's free which means it can't be too horrible! :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Webbeh posted:

I used to subscribe, but about a year and a half ago they changed editors and I really hated how they shifted from a decent magazine to a bunch of jock wheelie hooligans.

Seriously, the wheelie count in articles jumped dramatically, there were articles that advocated downright dangerous behavior (passing on right and screaming off from lights in order to get ahead of the evil "cagers"), and pictures of Japanese girls at the Tokyo cycle show with captions like "I ROVE TROY BAYRISS!" Whenever someone would write in complaining their reply was always in a super condescending dickish tone.

The magazine is now being run by the worst kind of motorcyclists - those that make the rest of us look bad.

I wouldn't pick up another subscription, even for free.