Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Signed up :whatup:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

man, a rebel 250 (i think) rode by my car this morning and that was the least appealing motorcycle noise i've ever heard. an uneven wheezy putt-putt noise that makes my lawnmower sound sexy. if any of you own one, you have my pity.

The 400 twin is about the same, it makes kind of a "pffff-pffff" sound through the stock pipes. You'd think it would sound a bit better as the pipes are actually almost a straight through design, I can hold them up and see dayight, but the holes are really choked off.

I swapped out the originals and used a set of stock Sportster take-offs. It sounds like a bike now but isn't at all loud, a deeper boomier note. And the take-offs cost me all of $5 at a swap meet.

Valfar
Nov 12, 2004

Born to lose, live to win.
Uhm I'm pretty sure you're not supposed to be there Mr.Sprocket.

So I was riding and heard this strange noise. Sounded a bit like the noise my kick start makes when the bike idles, so my first thought was that. Put my hand on it and it went away. A couple seconds later it was back, did the same but it didn't go away so I figured I'd better stop. A second later I heard a loud CLUNG, looked down and my chain had snapped right off! Pulled over and got off the bike to see that the god damned counter sprocket bolt had snapped right off!

I had about an hour to stare at the bike while working out what the gently caress just happened while I was waiting for my dad to pick me up, and landed on the following conclusion:

The head on the bolt snapped off.
Sprocket started moving making the noise I heard.
Finally it fell off and locked the chain. Rear wheel kept turning and ripped the chain apart.

No damage at all besides the broken bolt and chain, so I guess I was kind of lucky. Getting the rest of the bolt out will be a pain in the rear end, but when that'.s done all I need is a new chain and bolt, and I'll be back on the road again.

Have been reading up on this, and it's suggested that you replace the bolt every time you take the sprocket off, which I have not done. Some people over at the advrider forum have had the same thing happening to them, so at least I'm not the only one!

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Holy poo poo!

Your bike quite new right? Maybe it's still under warranty? Good thing it didn't do more damage to you or the bike.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
my ktm threw a chain too! but the sprocket was ok.

Valfar
Nov 12, 2004

Born to lose, live to win.

Ola posted:

Holy poo poo!

Your bike quite new right? Maybe it's still under warranty? Good thing it didn't do more damage to you or the bike.

It's a 2003 so no warranty :|

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

my ktm threw a chain too! but the sprocket was ok.
That part surprised me a bit, didn't think it could snap the chain right off..

Everything else is ok, it starts up just fine, and the countershaft spins just like it should thankfully. Was worried for a little while that I would have to tear the entire engine apart.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR
Someone needs to remind me next year not to go riding on Prom weekend :psyduck:

For some reason everyone has to race everyone. I had a dude in a Nissan Versa try to pass me on a 2 lane road. Gave it some throttle to get the guy to get off my rear tire going ~70 in a 55, and he tried to pass me for about 10 seconds staying in the other lane before I just slowed the hell down to let him pass before he mashed into oncoming traffic. Now I feel all ashamed and my manhood has been shattered for being passed by a VERSA of all cars, christ.

On the flip side I encountered tons of slow motorcycle riders. Cruisers who go 10-15 under the speed limit on straight roads, and slow down to a crawling pace around curves. And the best part is the only people I see wearing helmets around here are sport bike riders and the occasional tourer.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?

Webbeh posted:

Sharing Coupons-related love with all the goons in AI:

A free year to Motorcyclist magazine!

I usually only see Car & Driver or Automobile, so this is a welcome surprise to find. And I figure you guys might enjoy it. :)

Nice! I actually paid fot that issue and it's sitting on my coffee table still. No longer!

Simkin
May 18, 2007

"He says he's going to be number one!"

Valfar posted:

:gonk:

Man, count yourself lucky that that didn't happen while you were carrying any serious speed or around traffic.

Trintintin
Jun 27, 2006

Valfar posted:

Chain Broked

You're very very lucky. I had the chain blow on my ninja 500 (R.I.P) when I was doing about 20mph shifting from first to second. Of course it locked itself into my tire, freezing the rear tire and sliding me to a stop.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
Chains going is a very very bad thing.
I've lost two. Both at 70mph+ :-/ I got very lucky.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR
Is there a certain age, regardless of mileage that you bring yourself to replacing a chain rather than worrying about it? Can't imagine that the orings on most stock chains last that long through light/moderate over say 20-30 years.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

All chains give you warning. I wouldn't throw out a chain just based on age.

sklnd
Nov 26, 2007

NOT A TRACTOR

Nerobro posted:

All chains give you warning. I wouldn't throw out a chain just based on age.

What should I look for as said warning? This has surpassed Mexican pig flu on the list of things that worry me.

Gnomad
Aug 12, 2008
Loose links/tight links. When lubing a chain, see how it rolls over the sprockets. Some areas will be tighter than others, when it's the danger zone is when the wheel doesn't roll freely, it binds on the chain.

The other test is to try to pull the chain off the sprocket. If you can expose more than half of a tooth, you need to gather up a new chain and sprockets.

Losing the countershaft sprocket bolt is an ususual occurance, what can bite you on other bikes is if the lock tabs on the CS sprocket fail and the bolts back out. Bad news, as always.

Chains and sprockets can be expensive but so can bodywork and emergency room deductibles.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Valfar posted:

Getting the rest of the bolt out will be a pain in the rear end, but when that'.s done all I need is a new chain and bolt, and I'll be back on the road again.

Get new sprockets. You should always replace the chain and both sprockets at the same time, and there's a good chance there'd be some damage to some of the teeth if the wheel tore the chain in half.

Orange Someone
Aug 20, 2007
Hmmm

2ndclasscitizen posted:

Get new sprockets. You should always replace the chain and both sprockets at the same time, and there's a good chance there'd be some damage to some of the teeth if the wheel tore the chain in half.

It sounds sensible to replace the sprockets as well as the chain. Possible damage sounds plasible. But I'd heard that you should replace the sprockets every other time you replace the chain?

Having said that, I've not had either bike long enough to have more than one replacement chain, so I've done (or had done) the sprockets at the same time. In fact, I had the chain, sprockets and tyres done on my new(er) bike last week, it feels like a different machine.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sE7H6f9PVwk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15GXCRJUISY

Dogtanian
Jan 31, 2007

This space intentionally left blank

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_West_200

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joey_Dunlop

I was living in N Ireland when old Joey went, the funeral was insane. 50,000 people from every walk of life.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Joey Dunlop was a class act all the way.

quote:

He was awarded the MBE in 1986 for his services to the sport, and in 1996 he was awarded the OBE for his humanitarian work for children in Romanian orphanages. Dunlop would often load up his race transporter and deliver clothing and food to the trouble spots of Bosnia and Romania. His humanitarian work was often done without drawing attention.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
I'll keep it short since it's less interesting as a story than a learning experience.

Was riding in the boondock back farm-roads about an hour east of Austin, lovely scenic area with woods and little creeks, farmland, small towns with barbecue shacks, etc. Suddenly the rear tyre of my Honda CB250 starts swinging wildly, so I pull over, and can see the tyre deflating before my very eyes.

I get a flashback to months ago when I told Progressive "nah, I'll skip the Roadside Assistance, I'll just get Triple A or whatever." Called them to check, and indeed I'm not covered. I'm a good 10mi from anything, so figure I'll thumb a ride into town and ask some unemployed hick to haul me 50mi for a wad of cash in his folksy pickup truck, since that's got to be cheaper than a tow truck.

As luck would have it, the guy I flagged down for a ride had a big mechanic's van that was just big enough to squeeze the bike into, so I spend an hour in the back keeping the bike from sliding around.

The most annoying part was that I was planning to sell the bike that evening, so had to push back the sale until I could fix the tyre. I'd never swapped a tube before, so that 20min job took me about three hours, a good hour of that figuring how to tuck the bead in without tearing the tyre or popping the tube (popped the first one, but fortunately had a second backup).

Oh, when I, as the manual recommended "feel inside for any foreign objects" I found a nail sticking literally almost two inches into the tube. That was probably the culprit...

Lessons learned:
-A Honda CB250 does the little backroads just fine, but on Highway 290 at 75mph with heavy winds and light rain it was really not the ideal choice of biek
-Roadside Assistance is a very, very good thing if you wander the boondocks
-When doing basic procedures, if you're a mechanically incompetent, as I am, it helps to follow the manual to the letter. I wasted far too much time trying to get clever with three tyre irons when I could've just used one and kept the tucked parts from coming loose by kneeling on the tyre to stabilise it.

Skier
Apr 24, 2003

Fuck yeah.
Fan of Britches
AMA Motow is only $35 a year on top of your AMA membership and I've only heard good things about it.

If you have cellphone reception you're not in the boondocks. :smug:

Did you end up making the sale ok?

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

Skier posted:

AMA Motow is only $35 a year on top of your AMA membership and I've only heard good things about it.

If you have cellphone reception you're not in the boondocks. :smug:

Actually, AMA just started a program where if you sign up for automatic renewals you get the Motow deal for free. It even covers your car.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Skier posted:

Yeah, the guy was cool about it, so I finally got it to him Tuesday. With the weather being lovely it took a while to get around to it, and even then I was laying in a soaking-wet driveway covered in leaves and pollen for a couple hours. I definitely learned a lot about rear brakes, suspension, tyre/tube, etc. though.

Plus I knocked the kickstand spring loose loading it into the back of that dude's truck, and lacking a centrestand or proper gear I had the fun of trying to stabilise the bike between two large recycling bins so I could pry on the spring/kickstand without it toppling down onto me. It took a good 20min of prying and pulling until I got a brainstorm and just put the spring's loop around a cheap screwdriver, put the tip of the screwdriver by the other attachment point, levered it up and just slid the whole spring down the screwdriver until it popped right onto the peg.

I need to shop around a bit, figure out if I get the best roadside from AMA, through my cellphone company, or through USAA (my insurance). In whatever case, I definitely need to do so before I try and take my new bike (Bonneville) up from Charlottesville to DC through the sideroads.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
Boy did I feel like a fool yesterday. I was wrestling with the KZ trying to get it on its centre stand. When I was painting the tail piece it was easy because I could get a good grip on the frame but now that the piece is back on I just couldn't get the leverage I needed without breaking something.

Then I realized if I backed the rear tire onto an old brake rotor I had lying around I could get it on the stand in seconds with nearly no effort at all. I've been strong arming the stupid thing onto its stand since I bought it last fall.

:smith:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
http://www.motorcycleanchor.com/motorcycle/how_to/mc_chains.html

Good info on chains. Only part that's incomplete is:

quote:

Remember that your chain needs to have some slack so that as it spins up to full speed, it can have room for centrifugal force.

You need room in your chain because as you compress the rear suspension, the chain gets tighter. If it's too tight, it'll bind the suspension up and will cause handling problems under load, as well as extreme wear.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Z3n posted:

You need room in your chain because as you compress the rear suspension, the chain gets tighter. If it's too tight, it'll bind the suspension up and will cause handling problems under load, as well as extreme wear.

Or it can crack your engine case. Or in the best case scenario, merely ruin your coutnershaft output bearing.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Just chiming in to say that AMA's roadside assistance is 1 for 2 with me. The second, successful call to them went super smooth though, so I can't complain too much.

I hit the reserve on my new-to-me EX250, switched it over, and within about 200 yards I sputtered to a stop right by the LA Zoo. I pushed it into the parking lot, and after I couldn't get it started again, I called AMA. First time, I asked them to bring fuel, as I thought that was the problem. My phone died right after setting that up and sending a quick, cryptic text to my girlfriend, so I waited blindly for 2 hours. No gas ever showed up. My girlfriend eventually did, however, which led to us getting gas, and me finding out that no, in fact that did not solve my problem.

I then called AMA back on her phone, told them that my first service call never panned out, and requested a tow truck. The tow got there within about 20 minutes, and got me home without incident.

So, yeah. AMA and a fully charged cellphone. That helps.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Sport Rider has their 600 shootout this month.

The new Kawasaki ZX6R is king.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Bob Morales posted:

Sport Rider has their 600 shootout this month.

The new Kawasaki ZX6R is king.

Hrm, I'll have to go pick that up. Wouldn't have expected that result.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Z3n posted:

Hrm, I'll have to go pick that up. Wouldn't have expected that result.

Surprised the heck out of me, too.

New bike. Initial reviews were good, but that doesn't mean anything. They really dropped the ball on the 07-08 Ninja.

600RR 10.80 @ 128.8, 100.5 @ 14,000, 43.1 @ 11,250, 412lbs
ZX-6R 10.57 @ 131.9, 108.7 @ 13,750, 43.6 @ 11,750, 421lbs
GSX-R600 10.80 @ 128.1, 105.3 @ 13,500, 44.1 @ 11,250, 441lbs
D675 10.88 @ 126.8, 107.1 @ 12,750, 47.0, 10,750, 419lbs
YZF-R6 10.85 @ 130.4, 102.1 @ 14,250, 44.3 @ 10,750, 427lbs

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

Surprised the heck out of me, too.

New bike. Initial reviews were good, but that doesn't mean anything. They really dropped the ball on the 07-08 Ninja.

600RR 10.80 @ 128.8, 100.5 @ 14,000, 43.1 @ 11,250, 412lbs
ZX-6R 10.57 @ 131.9, 108.7 @ 13,750, 43.6 @ 11,750, 421lbs
D675 10.88 @ 126.8, 107.1 @ 12,750, 47.0, 10,750, 419lbs
YZF-R6 10.85 @ 130.4, 102.1 @ 14,250, 44.3 @ 10,750, 427lbs

I wonder if the US just finally got the "Euro map" stock that the Kawasakis usually had hidden behind a jumper mod. They'd typically rob about 5% HP, just enough to knock it out of contention. The old one felt a lot bigger, too, although I loved the styling, the new one is very compelling. I'd love to flog one on the track. I guess the revision of the D675 dropped some weight too, impressive. Although at that point it's all just bench racing anyways, drop the forks 5mm or swing out and extend the clipons and most people will swear that the bike is 50 pounds lighter.

mutt2jeff
Oct 2, 2004
The one, the only....

Bob Morales posted:

:btroll:

What a porker.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

mutt2jeff posted:

:btroll:

What a porker.

And yet it matches the lightest bike in the 1/4 mile.

mutt2jeff
Oct 2, 2004
The one, the only....
The 1/4 has much ore to due with gearing than the weight. I was just commenting on how unusual it is for one bike to be so far off the standard weight. In past years, its been resonably close between all four, hasn't it?

mutt2jeff fucked around with this message at 06:45 on May 1, 2009

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
Quarter mile times are the most important factor for me in deciding what 600SS to buy.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Zool posted:

Quarter mile times are the most important factor for me in deciding what 600SS to buy.

The most important thing to me is how fast some journalist who I've never met or seen ride laps a track I'll never ride. Exotic euro tracks are the best subjective measure for me to do that with.

:v:

Also, the gap in quarter times is .29 seconds. .29 seconds! I bet I'd see more variation than that on 2 different quarter mile runs on my SV. Modern SS bikes are amazing.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Yeah, I need to know which supersport The Stig can ride fastest around the top gear test track.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Can they wheelie without OIL?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

mutt2jeff posted:

The 1/4 has much ore to due with gearing than the weight. I was just commenting on how unusual it is for one bike to be so far off the standard weight. In past years, its been resonably close between all four, hasn't it?

The Kawasaki and Suzuki have been heavier than the Honda for the last few years. When the 600RR first came out it was a good 25lbs heavier than it is now.