Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar
I have a Vanson Drifter jacket (with armor)
http://www.vansonleathers.com/detail.aspx?ID=507
and some Vanson Super Rocket gloves
http://www.vansonleathers.com/detail.aspx?ID=176
and I would like to say that I heartily recommend them both (although the gloves are pretty thick) -- the jacket is very comfortable and in my opinion looks great, the gloves are pretty sweet too. Anyone here have any experience with either?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skier
Apr 24, 2003

Fuck yeah.
Fan of Britches

OrangeFurious posted:

I see a lot of people riding in textile oversuits - basically big janitor outfits with reflective bits. Anyone have experience with these? Do they have integrated armor?

Seems like an effective way to wear real-people clothes (e.g., for work) and still be protected.

I wear an Aerostich Roadcrafter, probably the kind of janitor suit you saw. It's the only piece of riding gear you'll need for touring the continent, commuting to work or taking a cruise down your favorite road.

My suit has somewhere around 50,000 miles on it and the total list of problems are: a pant leg zipper pull popped off somewhere in Canada.

I'd buy the $6 part to properly fix it but a baling wire loop gives me more ADV cred ( :whatup: ).

The suits are pricey but they'll probably outlast you. The company's customer service is top-notch, too.

(edit: yes, integrated armor for knees, elbows and shoulders)

Skier fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Apr 20, 2009

OrangeFurious
Oct 14, 2005

Ce n'est pas une St. Furious.
Excellent. I'll have to look into getting one. There's a guy I see on the way to work regularly who has one in grey. Every time I see him I think, "There goes the coolest janitor ever."

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

OrangeFurious posted:

Excellent. I'll have to look into getting one. There's a guy I see on the way to work regularly who has one in grey. Every time I see him I think, "There goes the coolest janitor ever."

High viz yellow is the only color that an aerostitch should ever be in. :colbert:

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

Rocco sez: Oh man, what a bummer. Woof.

Are there any motorcycle boots that dont look like, well, motorcycle boots? This would be for street riding and it would help if they were inexpensive.

megazord
Jul 16, 2001

I don't know what you mean exactly. But River Road makes boots that look like normal construction guy boots.

Icon has some boots that look like basketball shoes. They even have ankle armor.

About every manufacturer makes a "street" variant of their boots that don't come up to your calf. I'm looking for boots at the moment but definitely want a full style boot.

DiscoKid
May 25, 2004

by Fistgrrl
I bought a Bell Apex Ripper helmet from leatherup.com (who seem to have good prices on a lot of stuff) on sale for a pretty good price ($99 from a list price of $250+) and avoided their shipping cost by buying through Amazon.com who has the same helmet at the same price from leatherup's Amazon store, so I saved about $8 in shipping.

Helmet's great, has a cool rubberized kind of matte finish on it I guess, and it fits perfect on my gigundo dome-piece. Anyone else rocking one of these or have any comments about Bell gear in general?

Only downside is that now I have email from a place called "Leather Up" in my inbox...

DiscoKid fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Apr 23, 2009

PyxlWyz
Jan 9, 2007

Mr. Clark2 posted:

Are there any motorcycle boots that dont look like, well, motorcycle boots? This would be for street riding and it would help if they were inexpensive.

I have a pair of Shift "Fuel" shoes... they cover my ankles, have good support, and seem rugged enough. They look fairly stylish under jeans, and not very motorcycle-ish. They are also very comfortable! I wore them to work a few times over the winter, even though I didn't ride. A+++

http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/product_catalog/Product.jsp;jsessionid=SAXSQO0R11QVXLA0WTKSM4VMDK0NCIV0?store=Main&skuId=356955210

megazord
Jul 16, 2001

I just got these!

Sidi B2. They're the entry level boot but boy do they feel good! I tried on the A* equivalent and it is nowhere near the comfort.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

How interchangeable are street and offroad boots? I can't really afford to shell out for both. I spend more time on the street due to commuting, but I prefer riding in the dirt. My last long dirt ride was in street leathers and I was melting my rear end off. I want something mostly waterproof and tough. I've been looking at these Alpinestars but I don't know how an offroad boot would hold up to a street slide.

Orange Someone
Aug 20, 2007
Hmmm

Sloppy posted:

How interchangeable are street and offroad boots? I can't really afford to shell out for both. I spend more time on the street due to commuting, but I prefer riding in the dirt. My last long dirt ride was in street leathers and I was melting my rear end off. I want something mostly waterproof and tough. I've been looking at these Alpinestars but I don't know how an offroad boot would hold up to a street slide.

I don't know about the different requirements of offroads boots, but I can tell you that offroad boots work perfectly well on the street, as long as you can bend your ankle enough to change gear. My set of motorbike boots are those Alpinestars, or at least last year's version.

I've been down twice on the road, once in a huge slide with the bike and I sliding along on the boot. It's got nary a spot of damage, except a lil' bit of grinding on the top of a buckle. The only thing about MX boots is that they tend not to focus on waterproofing per se. As that page you linked said, they have an "Extended gaiter [which] helps prevent water entry", which says nothing about how waterproof it actually is. Mine don't leak enough for me to feel wet, maybe slightly damp, but I do need new socks at the other end.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Orange Someone posted:

I don't know about the different requirements of offroads boots, but I can tell you that offroad boots work perfectly well on the street, as long as you can bend your ankle enough to change gear. My set of motorbike boots are those Alpinestars, or at least last year's version.

I've been down twice on the road, once in a huge slide with the bike and I sliding along on the boot. It's got nary a spot of damage, except a lil' bit of grinding on the top of a buckle. The only thing about MX boots is that they tend not to focus on waterproofing per se. As that page you linked said, they have an "Extended gaiter [which] helps prevent water entry", which says nothing about how waterproof it actually is. Mine don't leak enough for me to feel wet, maybe slightly damp, but I do need new socks at the other end.

Glad to hear they can hold up on the street. Are there offroad boots made specifically to be waterproof, or could I just slather them up with some kind of goop to achieve the same effect? I'm attracted to mud and water like a moth to a light, it seems.

Orange Someone
Aug 20, 2007
Hmmm

Sloppy posted:

Glad to hear they can hold up on the street. Are there offroad boots made specifically to be waterproof, or could I just slather them up with some kind of goop to achieve the same effect? I'm attracted to mud and water like a moth to a light, it seems.

I'd think that they'd hold up better to mud and water sprayed up from off road riding than they would to the kind of torrential rain I tend to subject them to. They are pretty water resistant to be honest, there's just a patch near the top of the foot where the water tends to seep in under sustained rainfall.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
Do you guys have any recommendations for knee protection? I'm looking for something small and lightweight that you can stick under jeans. Really I just want something that's going to keep them from getting scraped up if I happen to go down without getting full leathers.

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?

Buhbuhj posted:

Do you guys have any recommendations for knee protection? I'm looking for something small and lightweight that you can stick under jeans. Really I just want something that's going to keep them from getting scraped up if I happen to go down without getting full leathers.

I have these. I can wear them under loose bike pants well or regular jeans just barely. They aren't too bad walking around with, either. They rub a bit, but are easy to take off if you get fed up with them. And they are cheap.

I think any of the larger, more expensive knee guards wouldn't fit under pants unless you like the MC Hammer style. People have also voiced concern that these won't stay in place if you go down, thus becoming useless, but I've also read some reviews on them that said they held up well in a lowside ( I think Kneedraggers.com).

Sick_Nukes
Aug 10, 2004

AngryGuy posted:

Those things offer really minimal protection but they aren't terrible.

If you want really good spine protection, you need to get a separate back protector like the A* Bionic Back Protector. I personally use the Knox Contour Back Protector in my SG-1 and I like it very much.

Thanks I returned it because I couldn't figure out how to mount the drat thing in the leather. Think I might pick up a Knox Aegis, contour looks nice but don't know if I want to lay out the extra money.

MourningGlory
Sep 26, 2005

Heaven knows we'll soon be dust.
College Slice
The first hot weather of the season just hit Philly and it quickly became clear that the boots I was wearing last fall and winter are not going to cut it in the heat. I'm idly looking at ventilated boots (with actual open mesh and vents, not just "breathable" Goretex panels or whatever) but I don't know what's good. The other issue is that I have very wide feet. Only a very few models of sportboots are specifically labeled as wide and none of them are ventilated, but I know some boots just run wide enough for me to squeeze into them comfortably, like my dad's old Oxtars.

Any suggestions?

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

MourningGlory posted:

The first hot weather of the season just hit Philly and it quickly became clear that the boots I was wearing last fall and winter are not going to cut it in the heat. I'm idly looking at ventilated boots (with actual open mesh and vents, not just "breathable" Goretex panels or whatever) but I don't know what's good. The other issue is that I have very wide feet. Only a very few models of sportboots are specifically labeled as wide and none of them are ventilated, but I know some boots just run wide enough for me to squeeze into them comfortably, like my dad's old Oxtars.

Any suggestions?

Unless you absolutely need boots made for motorcycles, I think you'll have more success going to a boot specialty store and seeing what they have. The combination of needing to be breathable and needing a specific size that is nonstandard is going to be tough to find in niche products like motorcycle stuff.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'm looking for some boots, myself, and I'm wondering if anyone has any experience or knowledge with River Road. They seem to be more cruiser-style, but I like that a lot more than the sport styles that look like moonboots or something.

MourningGlory
Sep 26, 2005

College Slice

FuzzyWuzzyBear posted:

Unless you absolutely need boots made for motorcycles, I think you'll have more success going to a boot specialty store and seeing what they have.
I've thought about this, but I really hate to lose proper armor. I know plenty of people do without, but I don't know if that's for me.

quote:

The combination of needing to be breathable and needing a specific size that is nonstandard is going to be tough to find in niche products like motorcycle stuff.
I know. I suspect I'm going to end up making my own by just buying some un-vented boots that fit and perforating the leather in certain areas to allow for airflow.

Chopsy
Dec 27, 2005

GUNS GUNS GUNS
BIKES BIKES
YOUR MOM

Mr. Clark2 posted:

I have a pair of these, the Frank Thomas Pro Stunt shoes. They have the basic minimum protection: plastic ankle protection discs, shifter reinforcement. Comfortable as hell, just like sneakers. I wore them all the way to Alaska and back, and they're still in one piece. $80, maybe less if they're having a sale at Cycle Gear.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Endless Mike posted:

I'm looking for some boots, myself, and I'm wondering if anyone has any experience or knowledge with River Road. They seem to be more cruiser-style, but I like that a lot more than the sport styles that look like moonboots or something.

You get what you pay for. I have a RR jacket that held up good in a crash, but you can tell it's not a $300 jacket.

Get some real motorcycle boots. I was dirtbiking this past weekend and my ankles make me wish I hadn't sold my old MX boots and instead wore my steeltoes.

SeamusMcPhisticuffs
Aug 2, 2006

republicans.bmp
How is Scorpion textile gear? I read decent things about their helmets but I'm wondering about the quality of their jackets and stuff.

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

McCheese posted:

How is Scorpion textile gear? I read decent things about their helmets but I'm wondering about the quality of their jackets and stuff.

A coworker of mine has a pair of their textile pants. He loves them and they seem like pretty well put together kit. Look a hell of a lot nicer than my Joe Rocket overpants too. I'd expect they would perform fine in a fall, but no real world knowledge.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Endless Mike posted:

They don't have ankle support, but I have a pair of Red Wing shoes. Mine are like the 967 Zipper boots, but without the steel toe. They're not waterproof, but fairly water resistant. They're fairly comfortable to walk in (I'm not used to over the ankle shoes, for the most parts). The soles are also non-slip, which was the main thing I was looking for at the time. I wear them all season, from summer heat to the mid-40's and don't have any real complaints about it. They're just a tad expensive, but they're good quality.

MourningGlory
Sep 26, 2005

College Slice

Uthor posted:

They don't have ankle support, but I have a pair of Red Wing shoes. Mine are like the 967 Zipper boots, but without the steel toe.

My first riding boots were the Red Wing 965's. They are very high quality, but I had three complaints about them: 1) They're very heavy 2) There is no ankle support or impact protection (though there is some abrasion protection from the thick leather) and 3) The deep lugs on the soles occasionally got caught on my footpegs, making for some scary moments when I needed to move my feet quickly and found that they were sorta stuck in place.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

MourningGlory posted:

3) The deep lugs on the soles occasionally got caught on my footpegs, making for some scary moments when I needed to move my feet quickly and found that they were sorta stuck in place.

I must have really wide pegs because mine slip around freely.

Taelrin
Jul 17, 2004
I'll jump in on the boot discussion. I'm currently looking at the Alpinestars Tech 3 motocross boot as a general purpose riding boot. How are they for comfort and warmth over a long distance? Also, I've got rather large feet, size 15, so if I order a 15 from them will it be of a correct size, or do they run big/small like coats and helmets depending on manufacturer.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

McCheese posted:

I've got a high viz yellow Holeshot jacket and a pair of Deuce overpants, they're both pretty nice. I haven't actually crashed in them or anything, but they're comfy, quick to put on, and I've ridden with them in 45ºF weather through 95ºF weather so far, only changing what I'm wearing underneath a little. They both come with removable liners, which I've had out of them since I got them. The pants liner is just a windbreaker material, while the one for the jacket is the same material, but with some insulation as well.

Without real crash experience, the best I can say is that they feel like they would take an impact well enough. They're both padded in all the right spots, with forearm protection and shoulder protection in the jacket (it even has a space for a back protector, with a piece of foam that comes with it), and hip and knee pads in the pants.

SeamusMcPhisticuffs
Aug 2, 2006

republicans.bmp
Thanks. Specifically I'm looking at the XDR Commander Jacket in Black/Grey and probably the XDR Invasion pants for touring around southeast AK and stuff. It's priced right for being quality. Going to finish it out with a pair of Sidi Discovery Rain Boots and a few pairs of gloves for various weather situations. I'm grabbing a helmet when I go down to California in a couple weeks so I can try them all on.

Hunter2 Thompson
Feb 3, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
^^^ You're a creep, you're getting the exact same jacket and boots that I have. The XDR Commander (mine is hi-viz) is miles ahead of any other textiles I've tried on. My only complaint about it is that the liner isn't designed to be worn as a regular jacket - but it'll work in a pinch. The ventilation isn't the absolute best, but it's adequate in almost every situation. The jacket really shines in cold windy conditions. It's almost absolutely windproof and waterproof from what I can tell.

The Sidi boots are really, really, comfortable and don't let any wind through. They still breathe nicely even though they're waterproof. I bought them specifically because they were the only size 12 my local shop had, but I've come to really like them. I lowsided once wearing them. They got scuffed, but that was it. I'm nervous that they don't have much ankle reinforcement though, but they seem to have adequate padding. You'd have to get something way less comfortable/light to get any more protection than they offer.

MourningGlory
Sep 26, 2005

College Slice

Uthor posted:

I must have really wide pegs because mine slip around freely.

It could also be the way I position my feet.

Uncle Ivan
Aug 31, 2001
Recommendations on gloves, anyone?

Right now I have a pair of http://www.newenough.com/gloves/insulated_and_or_waterproof/cortech_by_tour_master/scarab_winter_motorcycle_gloves.html , and they were marginally okay for the winter. Not any good for real winter, but for like 40-60 they were reasonable. Now they're way too hot.

I'd like to get a pair of Held gloves possibly, but those don't seem to have any vents. Are they any comfortable in 90 degree weather? I'm sure the fit will be excellent, but that'll be useless if they're too hot to wear in the summer. Also, for the price of one pair of Helds, I can get two pairs of cheaper gloves for two temperature ranges.

Also, I tend to remove/put on my gloves often at stoplights/curbs to check my phone, etc. so gloves that are easier to remove/put on would be ideal.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
http://www.newenough.com/closeouts/bargain_basement/power_trip_us_army_branded_gear/bravo_motorcycle_gloves.html

Those are very comfortable, easy to remove, and should be nice and cool. Street cuff gloves do sacrifice some protection, but I'll probably switch back to them when it gets really warm.

I crashed in a pair of those, and I was very impressed by how well they held up. I had a small scrape on my wrist from where the jacket rode up, but the leather held up well and the hard knuckles did their job perfectly.

Also, $10? gently caress yeah.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho
I picked this up today at cycle gear:

My parents sent me a gift certificate kinda for my birthday. So I went and got a new jacket. I tried on probably 15-20 jackets and I liked the fit on this one. I liked the style on the icon and Dainese jackets more but I had fitment issues since I'm a bit overweight. It fits tight but it's bearable. Only missing my Boots and Pants for full gear now.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

Whoa apparently the EXO-700 has been moderately updated. I have been wearing one I got on closeout last year (which means it's probably a couple years old at least by now) and just ordered a brand new one. Differences:

* Feels better, maybe placebo or just the new-ness of it, sounds less like cheap creaking plastic when I put it on.

* Top center vent has 3 levels of open, it could be that mine is gummed up but I feel like there's only 2.

* Revised nose breath deflector, with better vents near it, a little better shape, and it doesn't constantly fall and get pulled out like the old one (people with EXOs know what I mean).

* MORE VISOR DETENTS!!! The old one's smallest opening is way too big, this one has a small visor crack opening. They solved my biggest pet peeve with the exo-700. This really brings out the flexibility in the visor with extra detents, but it's manageable.

Overall I'm very impressed, I was expecting the exact same helmet. I tried on a ton of helmets, the only major brand I missed being AGV cause noone here carries it, but the 700 is honestly my favorite one all around except for the Shoei X-11, Arai Quantum 2 and Corsair (my favorite by far, but way too expensive and vent mechanisms feel cheaper than my scorpion), and Shark RSR2. Being less than half the price of any of those it was a pretty easy choice.

Plus it's in neon yellow...

Tindjin
Aug 4, 2006

Do not seek death.
Death will find you.
But seek the road
which makes death a fulfillment.

MourningGlory posted:

Any suggestions?

My Red Wing shoes are size 10.5 and width EEE or EEEE. Took me forever to find a good motorcyle boot that would give me protection and be comfortable for all day riding. BMW Santiago boots are wonderful. Had them for a year now and love em more every time I ride with them. They are expensive though, I paid $300 for mine, MSRP is higher but you can find deals at the dealerships usually.

http://www.ascycles.com/detail.aspx?ID=44222

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Anyone have any thoughts on FieldSheer's mesh overpants? MotorcycleCloseouts has a couple pairs for sale pretty cheap.

http://www.motorcyclecloseouts.com/sport/mesh+motorcycle+jackets/fieldsheer_titanium+air-3+mesh+pants+with+quilted+liner

http://www.motorcyclecloseouts.com/sport/mesh+motorcycle+jackets/fieldsheer_four+season+mesh+overpants

Gnaghi
Jan 25, 2008

Is this a good first bike?
Anyone ride with their jackets unzipped? I had my Dainese zipped down a bit the other day, which then unzipped itself totally while I was riding. It seems to me to be no big deal as impact areas seem to be the shoulders and arms, not the chest, which isn't armored anyways.

If it is bad I can always just get the new Dainese mesh jacket. :dance:

http://www.cyclegear.com/spgm.cfm?L1=&L2=&L3=&L4=&item=DAI_1734992-691-48_G

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fantastipotamus
Nov 19, 2002

Nothing's wrong. Nothing is wrong. Everything is on track.

Gnaghi posted:

Anyone ride with their jackets unzipped? I had my Dainese zipped down a bit the other day, which then unzipped itself totally while I was riding. It seems to me to be no big deal as impact areas seem to be the shoulders and arms, not the chest, which isn't armored anyways.

If it is bad I can always just get the new Dainese mesh jacket. :dance:

http://www.cyclegear.com/spgm.cfm?L1=&L2=&L3=&L4=&item=DAI_1734992-691-48_G
I do occasionally, and have done it a lot more in the past when I only had my textile MotoGP jacket. I also had the joy of having a wasp hit me in the neck and then fly down my shirt and sting me while I was riding. That was fun, an exercise in concentration while I tried to simultaneously kill it and not fly off the narrow road I was on into the river.

I'd say that a couple inches unzipped would probably be okay, protection-wise, but much more than that and it may be compromising the protection.

On another note, I ordered up a pair of these the other day, Alpinestars S-MX 1 riding shoes for $160 (couldn't find them lower anywhere). I currently have big tall riding boots, and a pair of fantastic off-road Thor boots, but these seem like a good combination of protection and looks. I may actually end up selling my tall boots depending on how these fit.

Only registered members can see post attachments!