Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jace Madan
Apr 10, 2007

A survivor... unclouded by conscience, remorse, or delusions of morality.

Xenomrph posted:

What did you use for the belt straps? That looks pretty neat.

I used some extra straps from a movie maniacs Hicks motion tracker, they are pretty long, so I was able to loop it around the shoulders, then around the waist by linking 2 of them together.

The bandoleer is from a movie maniacs T-800. Still wish I had kept him, a modified version of his jacked up head would have looked pretty cool on the T-600.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scare
Nov 25, 2002

Nerd Of Prey posted:

The factory Katchoo figure actually looks nicer than the prototype. The paint job on her face is excellent. If for some reason you've been waiting all your life for a Katchoo action figure, this one won't disappoint... I'm just not sure what the odds are that anyone has.

while i love Strangers in Paradise, i think it'd be cool to have a Katchoo action figure, I think once i did, I'd be waiting the rest of my life for shocker to make a Francine to go with her...

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

scare posted:

while i love Strangers in Paradise, i think it'd be cool to have a Katchoo action figure, I think once i did, I'd be waiting the rest of my life for shocker to make a Francine to go with her...

I hear that. Maybe David too... It would be nice if this line continued long enough to give everybody their proper supporting cast. I'm already wishing there were more Scud variants, like Oswald and Scud Lite ("He won't kill, he'll just beat the poo poo out of somebody!") not to mention any number of other awesome characters from that comic. At least we got an SOL.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

If Shocker was a more capable company, a Jeff build a figure would be perfect, since he's pretty much a build a figure in the comic anyways.

TheKingPuuChuu
Oct 13, 2005

Reality leaves a lot to the imagination.
Saw the Star trek stuff at Target today...the small figures are on the same quality of the poo poo Marvel Universe line, but the 6" figures are amazing looking. Plus tricorders, phasers, and the Enterprise....

And really, you guys with the Terminator figures, you guys have to be hardcore fans, or Xeno. Those things are laughably bad.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

TheKingPuuChuu posted:

Saw the Star trek stuff at Target today...the small figures are on the same quality of the poo poo Marvel Universe line, but the 6" figures are amazing looking. Plus tricorders, phasers, and the Enterprise....

And really, you guys with the Terminator figures, you guys have to be hardcore fans, or Xeno. Those things are laughably bad.
I take it you never had any of the awesome cool toys as a kid in the 90s. :colbert:

Seriously, I just got the Terminator Salvation T-1 from Target, and it's really cool. Lots of detail, the tank treads are actually rubber (but don't move), the upper "torso" swivels side to side as if it's tracking targets when you roll it on the floor, the Gatling guns are articulated, AND it has light-pipe red eyes on the "head". It's pretty kickass. :hellyeah:

TheKingPuuChuu
Oct 13, 2005

Reality leaves a lot to the imagination.
I will say that the vehicular ones looked awesome, and yes, I had the arnold who was half endo-skeleton when I was a kid from t2.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah, I want to buy that Enterprise really badly. Also can't wait for the drat Ghostbusters figures. I think I check that drat MattyCollector page like 9 times a day. Also, anyone else been seeing MiniMates in their local TRU? Mine has a bunch randomly. They also had a peg of BSG figures that were all TRU exclusives. Gonna have to pick those up.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

How "rare" is the face changing Darth Vader? Saw him for $30 bucks at the asian anime store in the mall yesterday and was really tempted!

Sleeper Pimp
Nov 2, 2006

Ess Jay SCHARKS DAWT COM
Anyone know where to get the Scud figure? Every place I've looked at is sold out. If not, I'll have to try eBay.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

You can buy it off the Shocker site, but it won't ship til June.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

Vintersorg posted:

How "rare" is the face changing Darth Vader? Saw him for $30 bucks at the asian anime store in the mall yesterday and was really tempted!

That's way overpriced. There's a few buy it nows on ebay for around $11, and I still see him occasionally at retail stores.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Have any of you purchased the BSG figures? Are they worth getting at all? I really only want a Lee Adama and Admiral Adama figures in their dress blues.

Jace Madan
Apr 10, 2007

A survivor... unclouded by conscience, remorse, or delusions of morality.

The Rage posted:

Have any of you purchased the BSG figures? Are they worth getting at all? I really only want a Lee Adama and Admiral Adama figures in their dress blues.

I own pretty much all of the BSG figures, and yes, they are definitely worth getting. They stand about 7" tall (but it varies from character to character), and have really great articulation for a "specialty" action figure. The paint apps are also really well done. Some people say that the likeness isn't as good as it could be, but I still love 'em anyways.

AlkalinePunk
Oct 2, 2003

Your Mix: INFERIOR! Soundwave's Best of Emo: SUPERIOR!
If anyone sees the wave 3 robin with BAF part please pick it up for me. I will pay cost plus shipping or trade my booster gold for it!

Satch
Mar 2, 2007

Hecho en Mexico
I think my local shop has it, but they overcharge for figures, we're talkin like 17 bucks or so.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Satch posted:

I think my local shop has it, but they overcharge for figures, we're talkin like 17 bucks or so.

I think I mention this like 50 times per figure thread but comic shops do not overcharge on figures.

Most comic shops order their figures and toys from diamond and do not receive the same discounts big box retailers do. The average cost to a comic specialty store per figure is $10.90. That's what WE pay for them. The SRP for DC Direct and DCU is $16.99 as offered by Diamond.

Now if they are marking a figure up to $25 then they are overcharging.

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.
McFarlane is getting rid of 60% of it's remaining staff:

[quote=From the comic industry gossip column, Lying In The Gutter by Rich
Johnston.]

McFarlane Toys, the company owned by comic creator Todd McFarlane,
has had a long history and reputation for increasing the quality of
design of action figure dolls, transforming them from the simplistic
posed plastic characters of my youth to the intricately designed and
articulated figures commonplace today.

However, of late, the company have had a few problems. And has
internally announced a third round of redundancies far more severe
than the previous two.

The company is split into two, design studios in New Jersey and
administration in Arizona offices. I understand that Ed Frank,
President of the NJ group and founder of the original company before
it was bought and renamed by Todd fifteen years ago read a letter out
to the New Jersey staff, visibly uncomfortable.

The studios will see forty staff drop to thirteen. Major operations
will be shut down, including the mold, paint, sculpting, and model
departments.

The only department to survive will be the digital department, and
only two of its members will be held on, and a couple of traditional
sculptors are being trained up to handle digital sculpting.

The plan as it currently stands is that most new sculpts will be scans
of actual people (posed standing up, making a T shape,) cleaned up
digitally, armour and accessories assembled and added digitally (think
Mr Potato Head,) mixing and matching from other sculpts, and then the
files sent to China for 3D printing, cleaning, touching up, sculpting,
articulation and the rest. New Jersey will only generate digital
output from now on. This is still a very experimental process, however.

The New Jersey complex will be reduced from four buildings to one,
with the equipment either being sold of shipped to China. As for
Arizona, they will shrink from seventy people to around thirty-five.

The phasing out off staff will occur sometime between now and June,
though no specific dates of personnel of departments have been given.
When asked about severance, a human resources representative stated
that "allowing you to work until June should be looked at as your
severance package."

[/quote]

The surprising part for me is that they had such a big operation to begin with.

funtax
Feb 28, 2001
Forum Veteran
McFarlane's been pumping out peg-warmers for years now. Perhaps they've figured out that the market stopped wanting new, alternate universe Spawn figures quite some time ago. And that sports merchandise is tough to monetize without being very careful about what product is sold in what region.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

All the licenses for the sports stuff has to be expensive because not only do they have to deal with leagues and players they have to deal with all the equipment manufacturers. Todd was so proud that he secured all those licenses too.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I remember back in the day when McF would make really kickass movie-related figures. Now NECA has pretty much cornered the market on licensed movie figures and whatnot.

Mapocho
Dec 14, 2006

No pares de creer.
If anything I never associate McFarlane figures with good articulation. There were the odd figures here and there with good joints but overall all they made was little well sculpted statues. I really wished they would've released a well jointed conan, oh well.

Mapocho fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Apr 28, 2009

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Mapocho posted:

If anything I never associate McFarlane figures with good articulation. There were the odd figures here and there with good joints but overall all they made was little well sculpted statues. I really wished they would've released a well jointed conan, oh well.

Conan had a decently-articulated figure in a Legendary Comic Book Heroes 2-pack. McFarlane's sports figures in particular, I don't understand why they even bother with joints because any fraction of an inch you move the arms makes them look completely unnatural. My Ryne Sandberg can either look like he's making a throw to first or he's the master of crane style kung fu.

EDIT: Although, come to think of it, the Robocop I have from them is a good balance between articulation and sculpt.

Splint Chesthair fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Apr 28, 2009

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Mapocho posted:

Yeah, their figures are always designed to be posed in one particular way. I'm convinced the only reason any of them have moveable parts is to make it easier to dust them.

Not that that's necessarily a BAD thing. Their figures were leaps and bounds better-looking than any other "action figures" on the market when MFT first came around, and I think that was at the expense of articulation. It was a fair trade, but then as time went on, other companies improved on details AND articulation and McFarlane kept doing its own thing.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

The Mctoys t-800 skeleton was pretty good I hear in articulation and sculpt.

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

Their Halo figures are decent articulation wise.

funtax
Feb 28, 2001
Forum Veteran

z0rschach posted:

It looked pretty good, but was flimsy as hell, nearly impossible to stand up and apt to pop random bits off if you tried to move it at all. I suppose it was pretty articulate by comparison to other McFarlane figures, though.

Rustie
Aug 25, 2003

I always admired the sculpting that went into McFarlane toys, but they were very frustrating if you were a kid that liked great looking toys but also wanted to play with them. Almost all of my McFarlane toys as a kid broke within the first few days of having them. Looked great but they definitely were meant to be placed on a shelf and that's it.

Check out Death Springs, my free webcomic updated every Thursday!

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

I got my Shocker Sol and Maxx today, and was pleasently surprised and how good they turned out.

I finally have a Scud character for my collection, I can officially stop.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
Yeah

wildlele
Jun 19, 2004

Battmann

Mapocho posted:

If anything I never associate McFarlane figures with good articulation. There were the odd figures here and there with good joints but overall all they made was little well sculpted statues.

z0rschach posted:

Fish Of Doom posted:

Their Halo figures are decent articulation wise.

People pointing out exceptions itt

skattered
Oct 5, 2005

Too many lies!
Too many lies!

Joe Fisto posted:

Yeah

Where did you get those from? I've been searching TRU, Target and Walmart like a madman and no one seems to be getting either of those waves in.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

skattered posted:

Where did you get those from? I've been searching TRU, Target and Walmart like a madman and no one seems to be getting either of those waves in.

Well, Wal-Mart and Target won't be getting these. It's an on-line/comic shop wave. I got mine at BBTS.

scare
Nov 25, 2002

Joe Fisto posted:

Yeah

wow...i've never picked up a mugg, but that wampa is great!

Doc Faustus
Sep 6, 2005

Philippe is such an angry eater

The Rage posted:

Totally worth the usual $15 they're priced at. My ONLY complaint is that some figures (Six) don't stand up AT ALL, and I cannot find action figure footpeg stand thingys ANYWHERE, except McFarlane who wants too much for shipping.

Anyway, dress uniform Apollo is out (in a 2-pack with Dualla), but Adm. Adama has been pushed back to August for whatever reason. Also, when that wave hits in August you can also get President Apollo

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

z0rschach posted:

The head on the McF endoskeleton is absolutely kickass and it has this great "I am a killer robot and I'm going to ruin your poo poo" expression on its face, but the rest of the figure is actually pretty movie-inaccurate. It's got a lot of moving parts and whatnot which are cool, but all around the NECA endoskeleton is a lot better and more sturdy.

...however the NECA endoskeleton's head is loving terrible looking, it's got the goofiest wide-eyes gaping-mouth look, so I pulled the head off both the NECA and McF endos and swapped them, kitbashed a few more things between them, and made one really righteous T-800 endoskeleton that I'm really happy with.

AlkalinePunk
Oct 2, 2003

Your Mix: INFERIOR! Soundwave's Best of Emo: SUPERIOR!

Xenomrph posted:

The head on the McF endoskeleton is absolutely kickass and it has this great "I am a killer robot and I'm going to ruin your poo poo" expression on its face, but the rest of the figure is actually pretty movie-inaccurate. It's got a lot of moving parts and whatnot which are cool, but all around the NECA endoskeleton is a lot better and more sturdy.

...however the NECA endoskeleton's head is loving terrible looking, it's got the goofiest wide-eyes gaping-mouth look, so I pulled the head off both the NECA and McF endos and swapped them, kitbashed a few more things between them, and made one really righteous T-800 endoskeleton that I'm really happy with.

pics please!

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Doc Faustus posted:

Totally worth the usual $15 they're priced at. My ONLY complaint is that some figures (Six) don't stand up AT ALL, and I cannot find action figure footpeg stand thingys ANYWHERE, except McFarlane who wants too much for shipping.

Anyway, dress uniform Apollo is out (in a 2-pack with Dualla), but Adm. Adama has been pushed back to August for whatever reason. Also, when that wave hits in August you can also get President Apollo

Nice, I think I'll pick up the Apollo/Dualla pack then, BBTS has it on sale for 24 bucks but with their drat shipping prices, it'll probably cost the same. Can't wait for the Admiral Adama figure though.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

AlkalinePunk posted:

pics please!
I don't actually own a digital camera, but I'll see if I can hijack one from a co-worker or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Faustus
Sep 6, 2005

Philippe is such an angry eater

The Rage posted:

Nice, I think I'll pick up the Apollo/Dualla pack then, BBTS has it on sale for 24 bucks but with their drat shipping prices, it'll probably cost the same. Can't wait for the Admiral Adama figure though.

You should throw in a Helo while you're there, since it's being cleared out for $3.

I hate that every figure I want is either out of stock or on pre-order. At least they're re-releasing, since Tyrol is now listed everywhere as pre-order, rather than out of stock.