Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Fog
Oct 10, 2004

-I spent the whole day trying to pull a peanut from that heater vent. Turns out it was just a moth. -How was it? -Dry.

toadee posted:

Can't you give a convolution reverb an impulse file taken from an algorithmic reverb and then just emulate it? Understandably you'd need to have multiple settings to cover the range of stuff the algorithmic verb is going to do, but that could simplify your life if you want to just run with one.

Yes, they can and they actually do!
In Altiverb there's even a category for "Gear," which emulates an amount of hardware, as well.
The only downside is the CPU-usage and flexibility.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Altoidss
Jun 7, 2007
Curiously Strong
Well i havent posted anything here for a while

I'm doing a project for school that involves making an album of sorts, so basically that means I have several hours a day to make music. I've finished a couple of songs, but this one i'm really proud of. It's a remix of Lady Gaga - Just Dance

the way its shaped I think I'm gonna use it to end my dj sets

tell me what you think of it http://tindeck.com/listen/czhu

edit - i feel like the bass drum needs to be more prominent but i dunno

Altoidss fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Apr 24, 2009

Elder
Oct 19, 2004

It's the Evolution Revolution.
What's the easiest way to see what MIDI data a plugin is sending? Is there a plugin that will do this?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Elder posted:

What's the easiest way to see what MIDI data a plugin is sending? Is there a plugin that will do this?

Doesn't the Scale device in Live do this? Well, something like it at least. Only note data, though.

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

Altoidss posted:

Well i havent posted anything here for a while

I'm doing a project for school that involves making an album of sorts, so basically that means I have several hours a day to make music. I've finished a couple of songs, but this one i'm really proud of. It's a remix of Lady Gaga - Just Dance

the way its shaped I think I'm gonna use it to end my dj sets

tell me what you think of it http://tindeck.com/listen/czhu

edit - i feel like the bass drum needs to be more prominent but i dunno

as im listening:
the intro kinda drags and is pretty annoying, but if you djing that wont matter to much, the intro synth riff sounds pretty random. when the voice stutters for the drop its way mechanical and not very musical. the song is very repetive and really goes nowhere. but not bad, just critiquing.

afterwards: let me say that i hate this song and it pretty much makes me sick when a dj drops this, but i thought id give your remix a try. its not bad, BUT i think the main part of this song is her stupid lyrics so stupid drunk girls can sing with it. you totally missed that. it also has the most stereotypical cheesy remix sound to it, like a b side remix or something, but that isnt a bad thing, cause that poo poo sells and i think a set can benefit from cheese once in a while.

basically, i think if you put the lyrics back in there in their original arrangement it would help alot, since thats why people like this song, not because of its musical content. your on the way to a pretty decent remix, so keep on keepin on.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

Elder posted:

What host app are you using? What plugin are you trying to examine? In most cases you should be able to just record a bunch of control movements into a blank MIDI track and examine the contents.

You might be able to use MIDI monitor (possibly in combination with Hubi's MIDI Loopback) to capture the data being sent by a plugin.

I'm not too familiar with the internals of the VST specification, but I'm not too sure that all plugins are necessarily sending "MIDI data" (CC messages and soforth) unless they are specifically coded to do so.

h_double fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Apr 24, 2009

Altoidss
Jun 7, 2007
Curiously Strong

oredun posted:

it also has the most stereotypical cheesy remix sound to it, like a b side remix or something, but that isnt a bad thing, cause that poo poo sells and i think a set can benefit from cheese once in a while.

ya it wasn't exactly meant to be "meaningful" or anything I just thought that the riff would work

the problem is, i think, that theres a very fine line between melodic and cheesy and i am not experienced enough as a songwriter to really negotiate it yet

thats not to say i wasnt going for cheese on that one

Altoidss fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Apr 24, 2009

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

Altoidss posted:

ya it wasn't exactly meant to be "meaningful" or anything I just thought that the riff would work

the problem is, i think, that theres a very fine line between melodic and cheesy and i am not experienced enough as a songwriter to really negotiate it yet

thats not to say i wasnt going for cheese on that one

i really think if you just put the vocals in there it would be a 4/5 remix.

Elder
Oct 19, 2004

It's the Evolution Revolution.

h_double posted:

What host app are you using? What plugin are you trying to examine? In most cases you should be able to just record a bunch of control movements into a blank MIDI track and examine the contents.

You might be able to use MIDI monitor (possibly in combination with Hubi's MIDI Loopback) to capture the data being sent by a plugin.

I'm not too familiar with the internals of the VST specification, but I'm not too sure that all plugins are necessarily sending "MIDI data" (CC messages and soforth) unless they are specifically coded to do so.

The plugin is BlueCat Audio's FreqAnalyst Pro, which is analyzing the frequency of incoming audio and sending out MIDI data based on that. I'm trying to tweak it but it's difficult without seeing exactly what numbers it's spitting out. I hadn't thought of just recording it to a MIDI track :doh: so I will try that. Thanks for the plugin suggestions as well.

second best sponge
Jun 13, 2003

I'm from Cleveland :tinsley:
Really stupid noob question:

How can I save a kick drum sound I made in operator as a sample that I can use in impulse?

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

second best sponge posted:

How can I save a kick drum sound I made in operator as a sample that I can use in impulse?

1. Create an Operator track with a simple MIDI clip that triggers the kick drum patch.
2. Create a blank audio track. Set its "Audio From" to the Operator track. Record enable this new track and record the kick drum clip from track 1.
3. Create a third track with Impulse. Drag the audio clip from track 2 onto one of the Impulse pads.

OMGWTFAOLBBQ
May 18, 2008

second best sponge posted:

You can also just make a MIDI clip to trigger the kick, right click on the track header, and go to "Freeze Track". Once it's frozen you can flatten it into an audio file from the same right click context menu. This works with anything, and it sometimes is faster then recording into another track.

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

I'ma rub your ass in the moonshine.
Let's take it back to seventy-nine...

Busta Rhymes over nudisco. Idk, but I kinda like it. I kinda just want to work on the instrumental but without vocals it just sounds god drat empty.

trill ass
Sep 30, 2004

buttcop
new jam yall

http://tindeck.com/listen/uiom

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

mezzir posted:

Busta Rhymes over nudisco. Idk, but I kinda like it. I kinda just want to work on the instrumental but without vocals it just sounds god drat empty.
That acapella has been used SOOOOOOOO much, that I think you gotta come fresher with this. Its a weird one, and people always cut some phrases short to make the next line fall on the beat. You got some real obvious cuts that I think detract from the track.

I had an idea that if you maybe just used to hook, or cut up the verses just SOMETHING where you weren't playing the whole song over this other song.

The backing track is way tight, but it is thin and needs that something the vox give it. But I think you really need to come at it again.

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

I'ma rub your ass in the moonshine.
Let's take it back to seventy-nine...

ManoliIsFat posted:

That acapella has been used SOOOOOOOO much, that I think you gotta come fresher with this. Its a weird one, and people always cut some phrases short to make the next line fall on the beat. You got some real obvious cuts that I think detract from the track.

I had an idea that if you maybe just used to hook, or cut up the verses just SOMETHING where you weren't playing the whole song over this other song.

The backing track is way tight, but it is thin and needs that something the vox give it. But I think you really need to come at it again.

Huh didn't know it was overused, but it is mainly just a placeholder, I have a lot of trouble structuring my songs so I like to throw an acapella to help me during the early stages, then later when its coming together finally, take off the acapella and ideally find someone to do some vox or otherwise polish it as an instrumental. But yeah you're right, the backing is thin without the vox :/ I think I'm just god-awful at melodies. Appreciate the feedback though :)

colonp
Apr 21, 2007
Hi!

colonp fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Mar 8, 2014

Afro Thunder
Sep 4, 2003

Makin blunts disappear like Im houdini
Hey quick question on it.

Been DJing for a few years, and planning to at least attempt a crossover into Producing. I'm trying to decide between Ableton Suite 8 and Logic Studio. Should I jump into those programs right away or get maybe Logic Express? I have a huge discount on Logic Studio ($300) available to me through my relative who works at Apple and was thinking of jumping on that since its a really good price for a relatively expensive piece of software.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Afro Thunder posted:

Hey quick question on it.

Been DJing for a few years, and planning to at least attempt a crossover into Producing. I'm trying to decide between Ableton Suite 8 and Logic Studio. Should I jump into those programs right away or get maybe Logic Express? I have a huge discount on Logic Studio ($300) available to me through my relative who works at Apple and was thinking of jumping on that since its a really good price for a relatively expensive piece of software.

Don't get Logic Express. If you're a student Logic Pro is I think $150.

That being said, I like Live. The advantage of Live is that you can use it is a performance tool as well, if you're into laptop DJing.

Either one's fine. Get the 14-day trial from Ableton and try it out before you buy anything. I don't know if Logic has a trial or not.

Afro Thunder
Sep 4, 2003

Makin blunts disappear like Im houdini

Kai was taken posted:

Don't get Logic Express. If you're a student Logic Pro is I think $150.

That being said, I like Live. The advantage of Live is that you can use it is a performance tool as well, if you're into laptop DJing.

Either one's fine. Get the 14-day trial from Ableton and try it out before you buy anything. I don't know if Logic has a trial or not.

Doesn't the main stage feature of Logic do the same thing? I like Ableton a bit from seeing it in action. Only recently have I seen DJs use it with triggers along with DJing to do some pretty crazy mixing.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Afro Thunder posted:

Doesn't the main stage feature of Logic do the same thing? I like Ableton a bit from seeing it in action. Only recently have I seen DJs use it with triggers along with DJing to do some pretty crazy mixing.

I think so, but I've never used Mainstage, nor have I heard of any serious performers using it. Not saying it's impossible, just saying it's not really that used from what I've seen.

Altoidss
Jun 7, 2007
Curiously Strong

Kai was taken posted:

I think so, but I've never used Mainstage, nor have I heard of any serious performers using it. Not saying it's impossible, just saying it's not really that used from what I've seen.

I think Nine Inch Nails uses Mainstage, let me look it up

yep - http://www.apple.com/logicstudio/action/

nobody uses MainStage to DJ, only Ableton can do that. Mainstage is for performing your own material

Altoidss fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Apr 28, 2009

9b817f5
Nov 1, 2007

weeps quietly in binary
Can any one help me with the basic synth design/effects used at around 2:00 in dudun dun?

I can get close but still can't adequately get a similar sound. Help is much appreciated.

http://www.aolcdn.com/_media/ch_music/para_one-dudun-dun.mp3

SkandalousPanda
Jul 14, 2004

ya diiig
This may be real simple but I'm pretty new to this whole thing:

I have a 25 key controller that I've been using with Ableton, but I have no background in playing the keys so I'm pretty bad. Right now I'm pretty much messing around in C since its only the first 8 white keys. What I was wondering is whether there was an easy way to apply any scale to these keys. For example, could I set it up so that those white keys would actually be D minor?

breaks
May 12, 2001

A lot of controllers will let you transpose by any amount you want; check the manual or mess around with it to see if you can make it happen. If not, you can find some software to do the same thing.

If you play the white keys beginning on A, you have got A minor. D is a fifth down from A, so you need to transpose down a fifth or up a fourth (-7 or +5 semitones). Then D will be where the A was, and you can play a minor scale beginning there; in place of C you will have F.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

SkandalousPanda posted:

This may be real simple but I'm pretty new to this whole thing:

I have a 25 key controller that I've been using with Ableton, but I have no background in playing the keys so I'm pretty bad. Right now I'm pretty much messing around in C since its only the first 8 white keys. What I was wondering is whether there was an easy way to apply any scale to these keys. For example, could I set it up so that those white keys would actually be D minor?

You can insert a MIDI Pitch effect (one of the builtin Live effects) on the track you're playing through and shift it up/down so that the root note of the scale is different. For example if you set the pitch to +5 and pressed the C key, you'd actually hear F, and the rest of the white keys would give you an F major scale (which has the same notes as a D minor scale). The notes you record in the piano roll will still be in the key of C, though they will play back transposed.

You also might have a transpose function built into your controller; check the manual.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
If you use the Scale device in Live, it'll automatically adjust notes to fit the scale you select. EG, if you set Scale to C minor and you hit E, it would adjust it down a half step.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I have a USB mixer and I just purchased a M-Audio Axiom MIDI 25, and now I'm looking at the software part of this. I like the look of Ableton, my only question is if it can do things like Guitar/Bass effects - or what software I would need in conjunction with Ableton to do this.

Nothing major, some Synth bass and maybe autowah effects for guitar is all I really need. Maybe some distortion and flangers/phasers, but more concerned with synth sounds.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Gyshall posted:

Guitar/Bass effects
Try http://www.native-instruments.com/index.php?id=guitarrig3

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

h_double posted:

1. Create an Operator track with a simple MIDI clip that triggers the kick drum patch.
2. Create a blank audio track. Set its "Audio From" to the Operator track. Record enable this new track and record the kick drum clip from track 1.
3. Create a third track with Impulse. Drag the audio clip from track 2 onto one of the Impulse pads.

gently caress me I just realised this could be used as a really quick way to bounce stems down.

Need to start doing this more often, I forgot it was possible.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

cubicle gangster posted:

Need to start doing this more often, I forgot it was possible.

Instead of "Audio From", try "Resample".

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave
resample is great

9b817f5
Nov 1, 2007

weeps quietly in binary
comments?

Work in progress obviously.

e:

here's another if anyone has time !

9b817f5 fucked around with this message at 01:16 on May 1, 2009

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Yoozer posted:

Instead of "Audio From", try "Resample".

What's the difference between Audio From and Resample? Say if I have audio track 1 and I want to pipe it into audio track 2?

For some reason whenever I do this it takes me like three selections before I get it working.

kelpo
May 27, 2003

We are a Blaze in the Northern Sky
The next thousand Years Are OURS!
this is my first attempt at some sort of club/dance thing...

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Kai was taken posted:

What's the difference between Audio From and Resample?
Resample takes all channels (master), Audio From only one. This allows you to do neat stuff like render a fragment of the track and then bitcrush/chop/filter it entirely without applying that effect to the master, or without copying fragments of all channels you want to chop. Result: http://www.theheartcore.com/music/olivesound.mp3

quote:

Say if I have audio track 1 and I want to pipe it into audio track 2? For some reason whenever I do this it takes me like three selections before I get it working.
The great thing about Live is that it can work exactly as you describe. Set Audio 1's output to Audio 2, set Audio 2's switch to "In", hit Record and get going.

Laserjet 4P fucked around with this message at 06:47 on May 1, 2009

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
I'm not sure i'd want to do it that way, i'm just after a quick way to get a synth in my track to audio because i've got 6 reverbs and distortion on a silly patch in massive and it's killing my cpu.

Will keep that in mind though.

I've hit a bit of a wall with my tracks now, think i'm trying to live up to the last one I put out and i'm not giving anything enough time to tidy up. Getting like 60% there, at the point where I need to do some cleaning and tweaking and just starting a new one instead, it's such an awful habit :(

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

cubicle gangster posted:

I'm not sure i'd want to do it that way, i'm just after a quick way to get a synth in my track to audio because i've got 6 reverbs and distortion on a silly patch in massive and it's killing my cpu.
I'm not 100% sure, but doesn't freezing a track supposed to be the solution to that?

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
I have no idea, what does freezing actually do to the track?

If it records it as temp audio and uses that as a placer while still having all the midi information there so I can change it later, I need to start using it I guess.

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 15:24 on May 1, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I

cubicle gangster posted:

I have no idea, what does freezing actually do to the track?

If it records it as temp audio and uses that as a placer while still having all the midi information there so I can change it later, I need to start using it I guess.

yeah it uses the audio that 'would be' playing so none of the effects etc are live, which takes all the calculations out of reverb and whatever else. I have a poo poo cpu and use a lot of reverb so i freeze tracks often. Its not a fix-all though, my comp still crawls even with 9-10 frozen tracks.

• Locked thread